Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Consumer Reports was convicted of deliberately falsifying data and rigging a publicity stunt. Isuzu took them to court and won the battle in principle, but Consumer Reports will tell you they won because the huge free media news coverage was a much bigger value than the lost court case.
    In my opinion the Trooper is very predictable in extreme maneuvers. I have been driving troopers exclusively since 1984. I have had them in all situations. I know for example that in a steep downhill turn across a narrow bridge the Trooper handles just fine at speeds that send a GM minivan of the older wedge design into a nose dive that feels like its might drag the corner of the front bumper on the ground. Troopers stop really weel too. Keep an eye out for tailgaters and give them some room because you can probably stop faster than they think you can.
    If you get hit by other cars, you will be protected and probably drive away since the Troopers stiff frame and solid build uses the crumple zones in the other vehicle very effectively.
    A big part of good handling is good tires. But the 4 tires for $100 deal and you will be very unhappy with the handling. Buy a good tire Bridgestone AT/ Revo or Michelin LTX/MS or other top of the line tire rated highly on http://www.tirerack.com and you will be very pleased with handling and experience much less tire noise at highway speeds. I also agree with the suspension upgrades mentioned by others, I like the OME set of shocks and springs and the sway away torsion bars.
    I shopped for a new Trooper last summer to replace a totalled one. It drove away just fine but since the air bags went off the insurance company totalled it, airbags are $6000!!!. I found that between several that I tested it was easy to tell the difference in which ones were cared for properly and driven like they owned it. I tested two rental fleed Troopers one was really beat up suspension wise and had an assortment of different tires on it. Make sure all the tires are good, and if the suspension seems like a mushy American made car then it is worn out. Troopers come with relatively tight handling you get a terrific sense of control. I ended up buyng a loved and well cared for 2001 Trooper which still handles like new even with as many miles as the rental units tested there was a world of difference in the ride and handling. I think some of the higher end Troopers or different years may have been set up with different suspension parts like softer springs and mushy shocks to sell to the "luxery" SUV people. If the Trooper you get is not as firmly in control of its handling as you would like do the suspension upgrades they do not cost all that much and you get a lot of improvement.
    Compared to a Suburban or Hummer the Trooper is very light and has excellent acceleration. You will leave them far behind at the lights.
    There are several out there that consume oil. You should watch for yours to start consuming oil, but I think fewer than 1/5 of them use enough oil between changed to worry about it.
  • coastie007coastie007 Member Posts: 33
    I am going for the LS, or the Limited model, and and most likely a 2001 unless I can get a good price on a 2002. What would be nice would be to get the 85th aniversy edition that they made in 2001 in pearl white!! What version do you own boxtrooper? And basically, up-grading suspension will give a better ride, and won't give as much of a tipsy feeling around turns, and i don't get a worse, or better roll rate. Like i said, i drove a tracker (HIGH ROLL RATE), so i am well aware of my vehicles limits. I am already sold on a trooper, i have to say the solid advice you have given me thus far folks helps tremendously, and that the only thing we are talking about is ways to give a less tipsy ride just helps to sell me more. I was originally worried about the highway noise, swaying and drifting on highway/windy days, and the alignment problems. But a good set of tires and an alignment at a good shop will do the trick.

No one has really mentioned getting alignments at Isuzu dealers, bad idea? The other question was that, like i said, i will be doing some significant traveling, has anyone really been uncomfortable while driving long trips(indy to cali, 2,000 miles!)? What is this about oil consumption i am hearing here? Would this be a problem with the engine that i should be worried about, or just something else, like being the size engine, etc.
  • trooper_dudetrooper_dude Member Posts: 10
    If you really push your Trooper, go with sway bar bushing, etc, but if you an average driver you don't need to replace springs & sway bars to get decent handling out of a Trooper.

After much research on the web, first thing I did after purchasing my (used) 2002 Trooper 4x4 S was to replace the factory shocks with Tokico Trekmaster R/T's. These solved the lean/tipsy feeling and smoothed out the ride....I have a lot speed bumps going into my neighborhood. Trooper still leans in corners - it's not a sports car, but now it feels very controlled and stable.

Trekmasters also work great for moderate off road use.

Tire upgrade is next, waiting for my BFG A/T's to arrive.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    ALOT. :) Never tipsy. Of course I drive it like a truck and know not to push it through turns cause it will roll that way. But she is pretty stable up to about 110-115 with 275-70-16s, OME 912springs, Sway bar bushings, and a few other tidbits.

:)

-mike
    I have the Trooper-S 4x4. I like value over luxery. I have spent $11K (1984 new), $22K (1995 new) and $13K (2001 in 2003); ($46K total, or 2/3 of what my brother spent on just one luxery LandCruiser) for my three Troopers which will last me 750K miles over 30 years. It would have been less cost for more miles except that my 1995 Trooper was totalled early in life at only 145K miles. I was also looking hard to find a 5 speed manual transmission. I like the manual it makes driving more fun for me and my kids. I think the automatic is competant and the ones with grade logic and TOD are a great idea. My manual has the push button 4x4 engage and no wheel hubs to lock and unlock by changing direction, TOD is awseome for patchy ice on roads but only comes with the automatic.
    I found a HUGE variability in the feel of the Trooper suspension when test driving them last summer. The one I bought was well cared for and the suspension is tight enough that I have not bothered to update it at all. Some others were so sloppy that I would update the suspension immediately (after arguing the price down based on an unsafe suspension condition) and before any significant trips. I do not know if this is due to the sloppy ones being used badly or the fact that they were rental fleet units which are configured custom for the rental duty and rental companies may have specified mushy shocks or soft springs or just to drastically cut costs since they don't keep rental cars more than a year or two.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Your post raises a question - my 2001 LS 2WD has always been extremely sensitive to any amount of air movement. Ever since I bought the Trooper new, it has been an exhausting effort to keep it moving in a straight line and requires constant steering correction. The slightest breeze causes it to dart from side to side. I just accepted it as being characteristic of the Trooper. But from your post, I gather that's not necessarily so.

The only suspension modification I've made is the poly sway bar bushings. That reduced its tendency to lean, but did nothing for directional stability. The OEM (not OME) shocks are not mushy at all, and the tires are the original Dueller 245/70/16's. I intend to replace them with 265/70/16's of some sort, which will probably eliminate some of the problem.

The alignment may be off just a tad, because at 31,000 miles, the tires show a bit of wear on the outer edges (but nothing significant). Originally, it had a slight pull to the right, but a dealer re-alignment corrected that.

If you think adjusting the wheel alignment again might correct the problem, which aspect of the alignment might be contributing to the problem? I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible when I take it to the shop.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    01 TOD LS has 46K and never had an alignment issue with this vehicle (work always done at my local tire shop) - Stock tires went 40K - with plenty of tread left - I just wanted a bigger tire - so put on 260-70-16's and these are wearing fine - had it aligned at the change. Also I upgraded my Trooper in stages - first the sway bar bushings at 3K - great help - then the Rancho 5000 gas shocks 7K - more help - and then the bigger tires - its wider track - and wider footprint really made a big difference. Sure, the vehicle will sway some in a cross wind - but every SUV I have had, including three 2-door Tahoes did the same thing. After learning to drive and dance with the wind in the orignal VW Beetle everything else is mild in comparison. We take our Trooper on many a long trip - and it is very comfortable.

By the way, anybody done an XM radio upgrade yet? Some of the guys I work with are showing up with factory Satellite radios now and they sure are nice.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The alignment can change its sensitivity to road and wind. If they crank up some setting (I cannot remember offhand, but I think it is toe angle) it will make it harder to turn off center, but also stay straighter. I had my truck re-aligned with my new tires a while ago, after that I have had similar "drift" issues, that weren't there before. On flat roads with no crazy conditions it is straight as an arrow. Both ways are probably "properly" aligned, but one changes the driving characteristics.

One possible issue of cranking something up could be steering column wear. If for example, cranking up the toe angle makes it hold its line better, it may put more wear on steering components when trying to turn?
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    my 5MT has a peculiarity-sometimes it's difficult to shift from N to 1st. I noticed it mainly happened on warm engine/tranny, and never appears after long parking. I am not troubled by the care of this shifting difficulty. Anyway, is there something to care this without outside interference in the gear box? Do I have to regulate a clutch? Is this a common thing on manual troopers? Have you ever had something similar to this? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I have checked the fluid and its level. Everything was OK.
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    Vehicles that have little or no toe-in, like the Honda and Toyota hybrids, will be slightly more efficient but will tend not to track straight. The more toe-in you add, the more stable the car becomes. At some point, however, this will have a negative result on tire wear and steering effort off-center.

Tom
    I live near the foothills in Denver,Colorado, and as some of you might know, we can get very strong gusts of wind. Trooper handles it just fine, much better than my old Mazda PU. and about the same or better than our Mini Van.

Agree with boxtrooper, I also "found a HUGE variability in the feel of the Trooper suspension"
    that I tested drove. Mostly noticed that the rental ones around here were pretty beat up. I don't think the shocks & spring ratios were any different than non-rentals, just that the shocks were trashed - along with interiors, body, exhaust system,etc. Some looked like they'd some serious off-pavement work already, w/o any maintenance. Took me a few months to find a good used one.

I'm not sure why Isuzu sold the Trooper here in the USA with hydraulic shocks and not gas-charged. Guess they were trying to save a few bucks? Or maybe they wanted the Trooper to lean a lot, to scare folks into not driving so fast as to roll it? Very strange.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Yep, you just need a little more toe-in...but go to a specialty alignment shop, don't go to some place where alignments are just a sideline.

I went to Hoover Alignment here in Minneapolis, they didn't even use a computer at all [gasp!] and got the first good alignment ever, after half a dozen tries at Sears.
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    I have a friend who owns a Hunter "Lite-a-Line" from the 1950's. He still does alignments in his shop with it! It still gives a good alignment too!
    A cell phone in my shoe would be nice, but to have sunglasses with the video screen in them would be even better!
    What do you mean by that, are they sacrificing things like suspension in the luxery version? Or are you refering to the fact that it cost more for the luxery and you just like what you get for your money in the S version? I Definitly want the automatic, my tracker was an manual, i hated not being able to have a free-hand, and especially being that i will be in the city, can you imagine a manual in the heart of chicago???? I also really like the TOD idea, on roads that are mostly dry but still have patches of ice, or side roads with some snow, it's nice to know you dont have keep putting it in and out of 4x4,or risk ruining the 4x4 or something by leaving it in the whole time for those patches you might hit while you are driving on pavement.
    My problem is that i can only find one trooper for sale withing 30 miles of indy, so it is hard to test drive them and feel for suspenion differences. Going on autotrader.com i can find a good amount within 150 miles, i have learned now to ask for service records, so that i can see the work done (if any) and that could give an idication to the vehicles past and how it was driven (i.e. 4x4ing, hard driving etc.). That'll help some with figuring out if the trip to test drive it is worth my time and so that i know to really feel the drive out to look for bad shocks, or other problems. Also things like who drove it (old women, male, etc again) and if it was garaged. Any other things you guys would suggest me ask about to give me a good idea of the shape the vehicle might be in?
    I am also becoming increasingly aware that some had problems of loosing acceleration when you try to accelerate after long durations of driving, and how at stops, sometimes the engine would just rev up and take off if you don't have the foot on the brake, has anyone had these problems?? I can't seem to find much on it, just the original complaints. I would like to know if there is a fix for this, if it just happened at the beggining, if it happens for a little bit and that is it or what? All i find on it is the ocassional commment that they had a problem with it.
    I don't plan on 4x4ing really, just like the 4x4 for up north in the crappy weather we get during the winter. Do you do 4x4ing or did you just upgrade for a more comfortable ride? I ask this b/c you mention the Trekmaster R/T's and said that solved the lean/tipsy feeling and smoothed out the ride. On the road or while 4x4ing?
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Thanks to all who replied to my alignment questions . . . thanks a heap. You're a great bunch! I'm ready to get the re-align ASAP.

Dave
    One thing to be aware of is the less than great mileage of the trooper. Most of us are not getting 15/19 as advertised. I get around 12 on good days, I have larger than stock tires, bullbar and roof rack which probably contribute, but even new around town 14 MPG was the average with 17.6 being the best highway mpg logged. It isn't really worse than other SUVs, however with a 22 gallon tank you need to stop more often.
  • wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    was 19.8 on a hot summer day while on vacation. The Trooper carried two people, was lightly loaded, and we had the AC running the whole time. Strange to say, I have obtained poorer mileage with the AC not running in other situations. The main factors affecting mileage appear to be air pressure, flat country, and a conservative driving style. The kind of gas may be important too but I don't know a thing about that.
    How fast are you guys driving?

I actually was able to attain 22mpg with stock tires at slightly elevated pressures, with 3 people and moderate gear. My driving was forced to be 60-65mph, not more, not less and this was with AC on with med hills, nothing major, but not plains flat.

I achieved this 2 or 3 times before putting on my ARB, Larger tires, springs, etc.

-mike
    Replies to the 2/4/4 discussion:
    Transmission
    I have never had any issue with shifting into 1st gear. The 1984 was an awesome shifting Trooper, the 1995 was stiffer and a long throw on the shift lever, the 2001 is stiff and a short throw with a tendancy to sometimes pop out of thrid gear if not put there firmly. My Troopers have all be gasoline engines, so the transmission might not be the same as with the diesels.
    Value over Luxery
    I lke the lower price. I think the fancy models provide extra features that do not add value for me. I don't like leather seats for example because I wear shorts a lot. There might be some models of Troopers with different factory suspension parts, I do not know how to figure out which ones, but some people have reported that their Trooper is mushy, where mine have always been on the stiff side at least until the shocks wear out. IMHO when it is time to replace the original tires it is time to replace the original shocks for better handling and better shocks reduce tire wear by keeping them in constant contact with the road.
    Try http://www.cars.com which lists all the ads from local papers around the country. I drove 5 hours to go buy mine from a nice family in another town.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Something came up the other day while stuck in traffic. I was extremely tired and rested my head against the pillar between the front and rear door only to find out, if I were T-boned like SDC2 was a while back, I would possibly get a puncture in the side of my head (temple area) due to the location of the seat belt height adjuster button. I realize that not everyone would be affected by this issue due to size, shape etc. For the record my seat is all the way back and reclined @ 30 degrees. I moved the adjuster down to the lowest position to eliminate the button hitting my head in case of a side impact g-force. You all might want to check it out.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I guess that is possible if you got hit on the left instead of the right like I did. I drive with the seat all the way back, too...the 2/3 side of the back seat couln't flip up all the way because of it.
  • grayareagrayarea Member Posts: 7
    has anyone out there with larger tires had any problems with your ABS?

called my tire shop today to price new tires. when i asked about super-sizing (in the McVernacular) to 265/70/16s the guy advised against, b/c the ABS system measures the rpms of the tire. since a larger tire turns at a different rate, the ABS system wouldn't work properly.

reasonable logic, i guess, but it seems like splitting hairs--we're not talking about a huge difference in the size of the tires.

anybody have any thoughts or observations?
    Shocks: Trekmasters solved both issues for me. I originally purchsed the Trekmasters because I found the stock shocks didn't work well off road.
    (First trip with family on moderate trail was not pleasant) After I installed them, I happily discovered that they also solved the other handling annoyances. Downside is now my wife wants to drive my Trooper all the time instead of her mini van!

MPG: Trooper S 4x4 Automatic. 21k miles. I usually get 14/15mpg city and 21/22 Highway. Note - My Highway milage is mostly in the mountains.but not much over 75mph. Stock Tires. I use Mobil One in Engine and Rear Diff. K&N Drop in filter. Not sure that matters. Last night upgraded to 255/70/16 BFG A/T's ,wanted sturdier & more puncture resistant tires for dirt roads. Hopefully MPG won't drop much.

TOD: Gotta love it - Works great on pavement in snow. Push the button, and Voila, you have a Subaru type system. I don't use it off road,I need the gear multiplication of the transfer case to help slow me down. Otherwise, would be riding the brake way too much on the way down. Found this out the hard way, as TOD will let you climb up, but gets scary on the way down.

Luxury: LS & Limited: Love that sun roof! Wish I could have gotten one just for that feature, but I'm too tall. Otherwise S model has everything I need. Really, for as cheap as Trooper go for, If you can find a good LS, go for it.

Acceleration: Not sure if this is what you are feeling, but My 2002 Automatic has grade logic. When I'm going down a hill, it kicks in and slows Trooper down. Works great/awesome in the mountains. Feels like a downshift. Sometimes a little annoying around town, as go down a hill at 40mph and it trys to slow down. Not really a big deal, just different.

Surge: Didn't notice it on any of the 6-8 I test drove last year.

Good luck on your search! Good used vehicles can take time to find.
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    If you haven't seen this post at the Rodeo forum:
    Plant to stop building Isuzu SUVs
    Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., the maker of Subaru cars and wagons, agreed to end production of sport-utility vehicles for Isuzu Motors Ltd. in Indiana as Isuzu shrinks its U.S. lineup amid declining vehicle sales.

Production of Isuzu Rodeo and Axiom sport-utilities will stop July 23 at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. in Lafayette, plant spokeswoman Ann McConnell said. Subaru has built the trucks under contract for Isuzu since January 2003.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    I don't think the ABS system is that smart. That is it doesn't really know how fast you are going and decelerating against some "standard". If it did then trying to stop when going downhill, on a wet road, when fully loaded etc. would throw it off. At least that is my theory.

Instead I think the ABS system only cares about the relative speed of each wheel. If you keep your foot on the brake pedal the system then modulates the brakes to keep the wheels from locking up. Thus, it should work as designed as long as all tires are the same size.

That being said, larger tires will increase your stopping distance. This is due to pure physics not some artifact of the ABS programming. You have more weight and that weight is further from the center of the axle. You therefore have a higher rotating mass which takes more distance to stop.

Is this dangerous? I am sure people have had accidents because of the longer stopping distances of larger tires. If you like to tailgate, drive fast, brake hard and at the last second, are used to sports car brake performance then such a change may be the straw that breaks the camel's back so to speak. If on the otherhand you are a cautious driver, brake early and easy, used to living with drum brakes then slightly larger tires may be something you can live with.

My take FWIW is that 265/70-16s are going to replace the stock tires on my 99 when the time comes. Just my $.02, YMMV.
  • ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    I had owned a 99 Trooper S for over a year now and have had very little trouble with it (some minor and typical stuff). I like the truck and would keep it for as long as it lasts. But... the dealer I bought the truck from called me yesterday, he has a 2001 Limited (leather, heated seats, drive by wire, grade logic, etc..)with 26k miles, "like new", etc... The difference is price (trade-in) is $3800.

Given the Isuzu situation, should be making a new "commitment" to Isuzu, or just let it ride?
  • wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    I would be sure that nothing is wrong with the 2001 Trooper. Check its history if possible. You might also go ahead and buy the 2001 for as low as possible, then sell your 99 yourself and hope to close the $3800 price difference. Messy but you could save money.
    On Friday I filled the manual transmission with BP VISCO 15W40 motor oil. It has been running ~100 miles, mainly in the city. No difficulties with shifting into 1st gear at all. Perhaps, the oil is thicker than the previous one.
    Think ABS works by preventing the wheel from locking up - as the wheel begins to stop the sensor causes the breaking force to decrease - all this at a high cycle rate - why the pulsation when you slam on the breaks - I don't think tire size or even mixed tire sizes has anything to do with it - each wheel is independent - you can't skid if none of the four wheel locks up.

About Rodeo and Axiom production ending - now that is not good since many of the parts found in those models are also found in the Trooper - and of course all this means that more dealers will be dropping the Isuzu line, resale will drop even further - however I would expect parts and service to remain available for some years at least in the bigger markets. A 2001 Limited is a nice ride and nicely equipped. With 26K it is virtually new and the warranty transfer is good for 5 yr/60K. I know we would never sell our 01 LS TOD - leather was already installed by the dealer and we added the outside temp module and altimeter domahicky - I did relocate the outside air temp sensor to a lower location under the hood. $3800 doesn't sound bad at all.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    ...then will Isuzu now only have the Ascender to sell? Correct me if I'm wrong but this pretty much means 2004 is the last year for Isuzu :-(

I wonder what will happen to our warranty...
    Think ABS works by preventing the wheel from locking up - as the wheel begins to stop the sensor causes the breaking force to decrease - all this at a high cycle rate - why the pulsation when you slam on the breaks - I don't think tire size or even mixed tire sizes has anything to do with it - each wheel is independent - you can't skid if none of the four wheel locks up.

About Rodeo and Axiom production ending - now that is not good since many of the parts found in those models are also found in the Trooper - and of course all this means that more dealers will be dropping the Isuzu line, resale will drop even further - however I would expect parts and service to remain available for some years at least in the bigger markets. A 2001 Limited is a nice ride and nicely equipped. With 26K it is virtually new and the warranty transfer is good for 5 yr/60K. I know we would never sell our 01 LS TOD - leather was already installed by the dealer and we added the outside temp module and altimeter domahicky - I did relocate the outside air temp sensor to a lower location under the hood. $3800 doesn't sound bad at all.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I need to get a receiver hitch for my Trooper. I'm considering the Hidden Hitch class 3 which has been recommended quite a bit in the past. My main concern is that it is only rated to tow 3500 lbs in a weight-carrying (WC) config or 5000 with weight-distributing (WD). It looks like most other hitches are rated a 5000 lbs WC.

Is the Hidden Hitch really weaker than the competition, or do they just rate their products differently?

Paisan, in some of your past posts you've mentioned towing 5000 lbs with your Hidden Hitch. Did you use a WD adaptor with that much weight?

Thanks
    I have 265/70R16's and the ABS works fine. I have not noticed any problems with the larger tires other than having to get them balanced correctly and a tire pull that was corrected with a side to side rotation.
    Hitch: I have towed up to about 6500-7000lbs with the hitch w/o WD. I generally tow 5000 w/o the WD. It would be nice to have but not a necessity.

ABS: It compares wheel speed from wheel to wheel, hence all tires need to be the same size. My ABS works better with 275-70-16 tires I have on there.

Out of Bizness: That sux, although they might just import them from thailand, they are still made there as well as the trooper replacement.

-mike
    I wonder if Isuzu drops out of North America car dealerships before bringing over the replacement Trooper, will it try to bring the replacement Trooper here at all?
    Maybe since it sold "Duramax" to GM Isuzu will not be allowed to sell diesel SUVs in the USA. If that were true I would expect them to drop the idea of ever coming back to North America.
    Will we see the next version as the Chevy Trooper as they are known in South America?
    end up in a lot of GM cars and GM supplied cars. I think the Honda minivan 3.5L is a GM pushrod engine and it is also available on the new Malibu which takes its body and chassis from Saab. GM is going away from making parts and toward buying everything so maybe someday people will proudly shine up their "Isuzu Inside" labels.
    Just to share my research with others on Class 3 receiver hitches for 92-02 Troopers:

The Hidden Hitch model 87544 has been recommended here quite a bit in the past. It is mostly invisible when installed except for the receiver. See Paisan's site at www.isuzu-suvs.com for actual photos. It is only rated for 3500 lbs without a WD adaptor, but Paisan's experince shows that it can handle more. It weighs about 33 lbs, most others are > 40 lbs. Best price is at jcwhitney.com, $100 + shipping. The 4-pin wiring adaptor offered there should plug into the Troopers factory connector and costs an additional $28.

Most other class 3 hitches for the trooper are rated for 5000 lbs without a WD adaptor vs 3500 for the Hidden Hitch. If you intend to tow heavy stuff, you might want to take that into account. I don't know if this is a true difference in the capacity of the hitches or just a difference in the rating systems.

The most interesting alternative to the Hidden Hitch IMHO is the Reese 33043. This one weighs 42 lbs and is rated for 5000 lbs WC. It looks a little beefier than the Hidden Hitch, but doesn't use a straight square tube all the way across the back like most others. Best price I could find is about $142 + ship at 1800.hitchit.com. Here is a link to a good photo and another vendor: http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-2126&- bool=AND&category=r_cl4_t&maxhits=1&keywords=rp0455&a- mp;GO=GO%21

The Trooper has a factory installed trailer wiring connector on the driver-side rear corner. You will need an adpator to convert this to whatever type of trailer wiring you need. Wiring adaptors are not included with most hitches. Rumor has it that many of the wiring adaptors available are just rebadged versions of the Hoppy unit: http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?part=43255. You want something that looks like that in order to plug into the factory connector. Manufacturer's catalogs may refer to the part as a "T-connector" even though that it not literally true for this wiring adaptor. These generally cost $20-$40 depending on where you buy them. Can be found on ebay also.

Hope this info helps someone else. :)
    It might be better if Isuzu closes shop in the US...Not that GM dealerships are great...I am sure some are. However if they outsource, we will get a bigger selections of dealerships to bring our trucks.

My Warranty is up in August, so at this point I am just going to go to a local place anyway.
    More than half of world autoloaders (if I'm translating right, this is a cargo vehicle which is used usually in warehouses and sea ports) have gotten them on their diesel engines.
    Med-duty Box-trucks are either Mitsubishi or Isuzu/Holden/GMC

-mike
    ever since they were introduced in the summer of 1984. Now I have been driving Troopers longer than they have been selling them in the USA, and still a decade to go before I make my goal of 30 years on 3 Troopers.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6838
    GM's "Colorado" replacement for the S10 pickup is an Isuzu and the Hummer H3 will probably be based on that. http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado/
    Boxtrooper, your case is a thing admirable in its kind! My case is much worse , I have been driving 1 year on 2 Troopers.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Can you give us more info on that? Is the Colorado indeed the nice and widely popular D-MAX???

EDIT: I just checked the Colorado board and it does appear so... There go hopes for Isuzu to bring it down here under their own nameplate...
    The Colorado appears to be classic GM "badge engineering". Take the D-MAX, make it uglier, ... viola, we have the Coloroado. I wonder what the underlying differences are. The engine offerings do appear to be different at least.
    That's way old news on the Dmax/colorado

-mike
    Well lets see...

1) Appears the coil pack I got from St. Charles was bad :( So they will be replacing my coilpack under my extended warranty

2) $200 for Spark Plugs and replacement of them.

3) Cats will be replaced under extended warranty

4) Coolant temp sensor will be replaced under extended warranty

On a positive note, when I mentioned the T-case/Tranny problem, they didn't look at me like I was crazy. Apparently they have another Trooper in there with a bad TOD Transfer case, so they are probably gonna order me up a T-case :) So that will leave the oil consumption problems which I guess will be a long-term testing type thing since there are no apparent leaks etc.

-mike