Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    But you definitely need to wire in that blue wire from the "power antenna" wire of the stereo to the wire on the antenna wire that doesn't fit in your aftermarket stereo. You can use a T-tap instead of cutting off the tip.

-mike
  • Options
    coastie007coastie007 Member Posts: 33
    I know what you are talking about, i'll head to an ovation or something and ask them for a "T-tap", explains why my radio reception sucks too.

One more question, about getting a check up on the trooper, what's your advice on how to go about it? I thought maybe give it the 30,000 mile tune up, since i don't think it had it; and that way it gets a pretty thourough investigation. I do think something is wrong though, possibly with my tranny, or brakes. Sometimes it feels like something is sticking like when i let off the gas, it slows down quickly, almost like you forgot to put down the parking brake i guess. Make sense? how should i go about this so that if there is a problem it's still under my warranty?
  • Options
    Just purchased the geolander model "G051" tires. $107 buck a tire from discount tire, free rotation, a new free tire if they can't fix a blown one or something ... sweet deal, $520 total. Hopefully that will cure alot of the road noise i hear, it is pretty excessive. i am confident about this tire, since this tire seems to get such good reviews on tire rack as well, Will let you all know about it.
  • Options
    silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    What size are your G051s? I'm also looking at them. Discount Tire gave me an in-store quote of $600 out the door for four 265/70/16s. Strange, their website quotes $567. I can get them from Tire Rack for $500, including shipping and local installation.
  • Options
    is the tire, and it's the size that you just said, tire rack has them for $81 a piece. Discount tire will have them for me after they get them shipped to indy where i live, total per tire is $107 each. That brought my total to like $460 i believe, and that is rotation, balancing, valve stemming . . .
    I also got a warranty on each tire for 14 bucks, if i get a nail or some leak that patching doesn't fix i get a new tire free, and since the dealership is paying for my new set of tires, hell . . . why not! I am surprise at how much your discount tire quoted. I'll do you a favor i'll give you discounts number here in indy where i am, you call them and get a quote, then call yours with that info and demand it cheaper. Have to be tomorrow since i am in chicago tonight.
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Coastie, the "slowing down" when you take your foot of the accelerator, especially at low to moderate speeds, is a feature of the Trooper.

The transmission stays engaged to the engine, allowing you some engine braking. Imagine if you were going down a hill on a gravel road and took your foot off the gas. It's behaving exactly as an off-road vehicle should.

It feels kind of like a car with a manual transmission when you take your foot off the gas, right?
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Yeah, the Trooper tranny is not set up to "freespool" when you are coasting, so you do feel some engine braking. I liked it actually, because generally when I take my foot off the gas I want to slow down anyway.
  • Options
    Except when towing. But that's cause if my foot isn't on the gas, it's usually on the brakes HARD! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Doing a little paying i attention i notice what you guys are talking about, though i have to say this was definetly too much. I still have a concern, i am thinking it might lie in with the brakes, perhaps the calipers sticking closed, once in a while when i have to hit the brakes hard, and I keep my foot on it once i am at a complete stop, and release to accelerate i will on occasion hear a faint noise . . . maybe the brakes being released from sticking is kind of what it sounds like??? At least down there. I am not sure but i guess i will have them look at it when i bring it in for a good check up. I was worried b/c i feel some vibration too when accelerating/shifting that comes from the floor directly under the pedals and on the gas pedal. I know i should wait until wednesday or thursday when i get my tires, so i'll keep you guys posted.
    Where did you get your "T-tap" from mike?
  • Options
    They are at any auto-parts store or radio shack, they might go by "in-line tap" they look like a blue or red plastic thingy where you sandwich the wire being taped into and stick the wire end of the one you are tapping in with then you close it down and it pinches the insulation making a connection.

-mike
  • Options
    bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    With the Trooper the transmission actually downshifts when you descend downhill - you can see the RPM's go up when it happens.

01 LS TOD with 46K - so far only problem has been with the surging at cold start on warm days - they replaced both the EGR and FPR - but I think it has not gone away - it did it again the other day when the temp climbed above 70 deg - beside this the Trooper has been outstanding - looking forward to 200,000 miles more. Those posts on changing the spark plugs were interesting - sounds like a scary proposition to do it yourself. If you are getting new tires go to a larger size - the 265-70-16's we installed sure improved the stability and the look. Next stop is to get the front wheel bearings repacked - $80 at my favorite tire/alignment shop here in Alabama. By the way I may be transferred to New Mexico - its all I can do to hold the Trooper back.
  • Options
    came in on the 2000 models, I think. My 99 didn't have it.
  • Options
    It's true that Grade Logic was introduced on 2000 models, but I think all modern Troopers tend to stay in gear at lower speeds more than other vehicles do.
  • Options
    I agree, but my 99 would not downshift while coasting downhill, which the grade logic models do.
  • Options
    So I call up to make appt. Of course my previous service writer is gone from the place so my $20 of buttering up on previous repairs has been wasted :(

I explain to the service writer that it needs a cat and he gives me attitude saying how do I know that etc. I explained that I put my OBDII scanner on it and it shows a catylst inefficiency in bank 1. He said "if it's not the cat, you'll have to pay for our time" I explained it has had a CEL for this before and they reset it and sent me on my way. So I fully expect a fight on this one. Argggg. Worst thing is that it's not even a factory warranty, all they have to do is submit it to the 3rd party warranty company and they'll replace it! Heck they already authorized it when it was at the dealer that went out of bizness (out of Isuzu bizness) but couldn't repair it cause they couldn't get the parts!

-mike
  • Options
    silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    That don't bode well for the rest of us :-(
  • Options
    So worst case I'll try a different one.

-mike
  • Options
    I may be new; very new, but still, screw'em. Stand your ground B/C your right, and you know it, and they are waiting for you to crack. That is what I have learned. Screw them, give them some fight, and wait for your check and/or your refund (however it works) . . . SICK'EM MIKE!!!
  • Options
    Still yet . . . any advise on what i should do about getting my truck check up; and/or what i should have done since my warranty ends soon?
  • Options
    Not much to really checkup on the Troopers.

Biggest suggestions:

Serpentine Belt.
    ATF Flush/Fill.
    Coolant and other fluid drain/fills.

-mike
  • Options
    dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    There is nothing to add, unless you have to check up the screw nuts on the front hubs. Just to make sure.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The emissions are covered for 7 or 8 years out of the box I believe?

Are you going to an independent and getting your extended to cover or is this at a dealer?
  • Options
    I missed my appt. so i'm gonna probably make one at another dealer in the area.

-mike
  • Options
    The CAT should be covered soup to nuts. One of mine went bad last year and was covered no problem.

Iteresting though that my IMG went soon after the CAT replacement.
  • Options
    seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here will remember me but I had a 1999 Trooper in 2002 and posted to the list pretty regularly while I had it. It was, unfortunately, totalled when an elderly couple pulled out in front of a friend of mine on a coastal road in Quebec. The truck saved her life.

I replaced it with a Chevrolet Avalanche because that vehicle can carry motorcycles as well as people. I'm very happy with the Avalanche but still look with a smile on Troopers when I see them. So I'm thinking about maybe adding a Trooper to the stable again. Is there anyone here who's willing to bring me back up to speed on these vehicles? If I recall correctly, 1998 was the first year of the TODD system and the new engine, is that correct? If so, I would likely look for a 1998 - 99. I don't recall there being any problems with those model years but if there is anything to watch out for, I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm trying to find the link to Paisan's site if that's still going. Interestingly enough, I still have the hitch, nerf bars and rear matt from the 99 that I could use in another Trooper.

Cheers,

Sean Reid
    Northeastern Motorcycle Tours
  • Options
    seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    I don't remember my 1999 burning oil but am seeing reports of that. Is it common? Forgive me if this has been discussed a milion times over - I'll search the forum.

Sean
  • Options
    I know i won't go to the dealer to get the inspection, they'll just take advantage of me. Unless maybe i should since i am so close to my warranty ending??? I am not sure if my trooper had the 30,000 mile tune-up, so i'll probably find a good place to do most of that, i.e. the fluids as you all say, and have them do the spark plugs too, since my experience has been bad working with hard to get out ones. Hopefully they would see a problem in the the inspection they have to do.

Not familiar with the soup to nuts the "CAT" and the "IMG" things??
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Glad to hear another Trooper might be in your future.

Yes, 1998 was first model year for Torque on Demand (TOD) and the bigger - 215hp 230 ft-lbs 3.5L V6 - engine.

One thing to know about the 1998, and I think 1999, Troopers is the powertrain combinations. Manual transmission in '98 & '99 means shift-on-fly, non-TOD 4WD. The TOD was part of an optional package - I think termed Performance Package. So some automatic trans Troopers in '98 & '99 are shift-on-fly 4WD, and some are TOD. Just something to be aware of.
  • Options
    IIRC the 2002s had AT w/SOTF available in the S trim level.

-mike
  • Options
    calviniicalvinii Member Posts: 4
    Since day one my '99 has had a ticking noise (w/ or w/out TOD engaged) that the seems to be located either in the center of the dash or in the console. Sound is similar to older model cars spedo cable needing lubricating. Dealer has replaced the fan motor and accelerator linkage under warranty, but to no avail. Before the ’99 I had a ’96 which didn’t make this noise. Since the ’96 didn’t have TOD I’m starting to believe it’s related to this system. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx
  • Options
    Search back. Someone had this problem once before way way back. It was something loose under the dash.

-mike
  • Options
    After 36k miles wanted to improve handling, ride & snow/rain traction on my ’99. BTW I drive mainly in city and some highway - no off-roading. Recently upgraded original Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 245/70-16’s(not bad, but not good in snow/rain)to same size Yoko Geo’s w/ new G051 tread. Great improvement in ride – quieter, better steering response, more control and more traction under wet conditions. Don’t think their as firm as some have complained, but they did show the deficiencies in original shocks. Felt floaty and wheel undulations became pronounced. Then replaced shocks w/ KYB Monomax’s. Early impressions - great city and highway ride, more precise handling, greatly reduced brake dive and turn lean & eliminated “floatyness” & undulations. Next I’ll replace sway bushings & ends w/ poly. I’ll report on that next. BTW I’d appreciate it if someone could offer assistance w/ my other posting –“'99 TOD Ticking Noise?”. Thx
  • Options
    BTW – Purchased Yoko Geo’s from local Sears auto. Sears guarantees lowest price. Beat Tire Rack by 10% and only charged $12/tire to mount and balance. They also include free lifetime rotation. Later had them install KYB shocks for $12.99/shock. Purchased shocks from Tire Rack because Sears didn’t sell that brand. Love Tire Rack, but couldn’t pass up Sears low price guarantee. So far happy w/ Sears auto service. However, follow through of staff can be hit or miss even though they get commission.
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    was an option on 1998 MY Auto Trooper S's. My 1998 Auto S trim Trooper has SOTF 4WD.

Jim
  • Options
    BTW – Purchased Yoko Geo’s from local Sears auto. Sears guarantees lowest price. Beat Tire Rack by 10% and only charged $12/tire to mount and balance. They also include free lifetime rotation. Later had them install KYB shocks for $12.99/shock. Purchased shocks from Tire Rack because Sears didn’t sell that brand. Love Tire Rack, but couldn’t pass up Sears low price guarantee. So far happy w/ Sears auto service. However, follow through of staff can be hit or miss even though they get commission.
  • Options
    bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Took the 01 TOD Trooper LS to NTB tire here in Madison Alabama. They got a good front end mechanic I trust and had him do the repack of the front wheel bearings - suppose to be done at 30K but I waited until ours had 43K. They suggested I wait until I need a break job since it is part of their break service. They were going to charge me $80 but the machanic thought that was excessive so I was charged $59.95. He said there was still some grease left but he could see all the rollers - could have gone longer but not much. Also he said the break pads were almost like new - he mentioned that doing 4X4 Troopers was a cinch - I think the dealer here wanted to charge $250 yikes!
  • Options
    The main problem with these years was that the intake manifold gasket goes on them, causing an idle surge. My was replaced under warranty at about 4 years. I am not sure if this problem exists beyond the '99 model year.

I have a ticking noise in mine also, but mine seems directly related to the heater/blower. When I turn it off no noise. I have been lazy about getting it fixed, since it probably isn't covered under warranty I just turn up the radio a little bit.

In 2000 they introduced the drive by wire. Also there was a short run of 2000's that had a recall to move a fuel line that could rupture (and did in the IIHS tests). Not a big deal but if you end up in a 2000 something to check.

I believe Isuzu will warranty a new vehicle for 1/2 the original, so if you get a 2000/2001 that had 10/100,000 miles you may still have some warranty left...good luck finding a good dealer, but that is another story.
  • Options
    had it replaced under warranty on our '98 a few years back - somewhere around 50k miles i think. lately, i seem to be noticing some moderate unevenness at idle. what are the prominent characteristics of the IMG problem - warm weather, cold weather, warm engine, cold engine, etc.

were the replacement IMGs being installed a few years back an improvement over the original?
  • Options
    boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Is there any history of head gasket failure on 2001 Trooper-S 3.5L gasoline engines?
    Our minivan was taken in due to red oily stuff falling out under it and slipping when shifting into the higher gears, so I expected transmission oil leak, but they gave a loaner car (huge! new Cadillac because I told them we needed room for kids) and they have started work on replacing the head gaskets, they say the red stuff is/was coolant. I have never heard of red coolant. We thought we had a good minivan this time having only been in for repairs 3 times in 36K miles all three times to replace the radio. (our previous minivan was 26 expensive repairs in 45K miles) Now I am not so sure about the current van since once they repair the engine they will start troubleshooting the transmission.
    So I am very happy to gain extra respect because my choice of a Trooper has once again prooved more reliable than what my wife drives even though hers is newer. If she could my wife would drive a mini car like a Miata or a hybrid or a diesel Passat, but too often we need to room in the minivan.
  • Options
    Mine came on today. I hope it is something simple, since I just had my EGR valve cleaned and truck checked, however I have had my truck in for a major problem at my current dealer and it went unfound for 5 trips...Anyway, I want to get the codes myself before I trudge out 45 minutes and wait for them to tell me they reset it and see if it happens again...

I am planning to pull the battery cable today, but I was reading that you can ground the computer and the car will flash you the codes. Has anyone done this or know how to get the codes flashed through the dashboard? I am also going to call Autozone, but don't want to pay $20 if I don't have to.
  • Options
    Last time I heard, Autozone still pulls codes for free. I've had it done there once, and in my area (Michigan) there is a big sign on the outside of every Autozone store advertising this as a free service.
  • Options
    I went to autozone. They did pull the code for free. #440...gross evap malfunction. I have had this from a bad gas cap before, but since I haven't put any gas in the truck for a few days he suggested the airfilter might be clogged or a bit of debris made it through. I bought a new filter since it was some what dirty. $17. Much better than trudging out to the dealer to get told they couldn't find anything (a 45 minute drive plus wait).
  • Options
    Who said that they had the problem on warm days starting up their trooper and the engine revving. I am noticing that when i start it for the first time that day (not every day), that the engine will idle very high, almost 2000 rpms, before i shift into reverse i will rev it up just to experiment, and it doesn't sound the same as a normal rev in nuetral, never had a V-6 so i don't know if it is normal or that problem that was mentioned at an earlier time.
    Still having that "pop" noise from tire/brake area, but i know now is related to the brakes can't tell if maybe it has to do with the ABS or not. I do know that a BMW cut me off and i had to slam on the breaks hard, too fast to realize if i heard ABS kick in or not, but those breaks stopped me and my 4500 lb truck quick like! So, not sure if the pop, or release noise is the brakes sticking or something. Not really sure what to have them look at for either problem.
    Suggestions?
    Also just got the Yoko's Geolander 051. I have to say a heck of a tire, quiet, smooth and responsive. The previous owner had the tires over inflated causing no treadware on inner, and excessive on outer, plus probably no rotation. Horrible noise and vibrations, but I would suggest these tires to anyone in the city and highway mostly!
  • Options
    Anyone have a guess what it means when the ABS light comes on intermittently?
  • Options
    dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    It warns you that ABS circuit is disconnected periodically. Ask someone pulls wires close to ABS wheel sensors. At the same time you watch on your dashboard if the light comes. These rusty wires and dead sensors are quite often at the bottom of ABS light coming. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I have been seeing a little oil consumption lately on my 1998 Trooper S 4wd SOTF. I had it worse than some and less than others. Maybe a quart after 2000-2500 miles. I would basically check it at about that point during each oil change cycle. I started seeing smoke at start up, so I figured it was getting worse and decided to check it a bit sooner.

So here's the surprise. No loss of oil at all at 2000 miles into an oil change. None, In fact it looks almost brand new. Can still 'see through it' on the dipstick. So, what is the smoke at start up? Is it a headgasket issue? Is the EGR or whatever it's called valve that I see mentioned from time to time? What are your thoughts? The white smoke does kind of smell like exhaust rather than burnt oil, but I dunno. What should I check? 90k miles on the odometer, by the way. Timing belt has been done at ~75k miles. IMG has never been done and I've only seen the symptoms once when I drove up to Colorado and started it one morning at ~20 below zero. It manifested itself as an uneven idle.

Jim
  • Options
    I think these engines run rich at startup. Mine always has more visible exhaust at startup than once it's warm.

I guess it could also be condensation in the exhaust system.
  • Options
    Guesses...Intake Manifold Gasket, common problem but when mine went I didn't have anything other than stalling at loss of vaccuum.

Water in the gas causing excessive condesation which burns off at start-up? Maybe something in the emissions system went which is changing the fuel to air mixture? PCV, Idle Air Control, EGR, O2 sensor? Maybe a bad catalytic converter causing emission systems problems?

Oil would show on the dipstick and be more blueish. I think white smoke is an indicator of water burning off.
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Although white smoke would generally be diagnosed as coolant in the system, a puff might just be some oil that had leaked past the valve guides. With 90k on the thing, that is a possibility. If it is just a puff, even this would result in no measurable loss of oil.

Tom
  • Options
    Tom said about exactly what I was going to.

If due to worn valve guides I wouldn't worry about it - I had a car that put out a puff of blue smoke every time I started it, but it never burned any significant oil.

If the smoke is white, the head gasket may be suspect and as Tom said coolant is leaking into the cylinders. Keep an eye on your coolant level, and visually inspect both the coolant and the oil for abnormal appearance due to cross-contamination if the head gasket is blown.