Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    Mine 3,5 gas also threw out such emission last spring. I remember it was moist humid weather and I did short trips then, only 5-10 km a day. Afterwards fair weather came and all my worries have since gone away together with the smoke. I suppose you see just water evaporation coming out from exhaust system.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    With 35,900 on the ODO, I knew it was gonna happen soon. Started up the Trooper yesterday morning, and got erratic idle swings between 500 and 1800 rpm for a minute or two. It finally settled down and ran fine. Today, same thing. Took it into the dealer and got the bad news - EGR carbon build-up. Got the full-boat EGR service (EGR, intake tube and throttle plate cleanup), fuel injector cleaning and an oil change. Five hours and $326 later, it's running good again. Keepin' 'em crossed that's the worst that ever happens to the truck.

BTW, the service manager said with confidence that there WILL be a new Trooper for '05/'06, although possibly with a different name. And, he says they were assured by Isuzu that mechanical and crash parts for current Isuzus would continue to be available. Any guesses on whether this might be what we see in a year or so? http://www.thairung.co.th/English/Consumer/Adventure.aspx
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Although I think they'd do rear coils, and rear disc brakes on it.

-mike
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    I heard the same thing from the parts guy at my local dealer. He said it would NOT be a rebadged US vehicle. I hope it is correct - and they bring over something exciting.
    Isuzu had better do something:
    Total sales Mar 2004: 4,057 vehicles.
    Axiom: 322 in March 2004, vs. 665 in March 2003.
    Rodeo: 3,102 in March 2004 vs. 1,765 in March of 2003.
    Seven-passenger Ascenders: 383, compared with 434 in March of last year.
    Five-passenger Ascender totaled 235.
    Isuzu sales through the first quarter of 2004 totaled 7,570, which compares to 8,583 vehicles sold during the January-March period of 2003.
    I agree. To go back to leafs and drums would sure's the devil be a regressive design decision. I would seriously consider an Adventure Master clone if it shipped to the US and was at least as well equipped as my '01 LS.
    If they bring it over with the TDI engine to compete with the TDI in the new Jeep Liberty! I'd put a deposit on it tomorrow with the diesel and pay MSRP-$500 to boot!

-mike
    Mike, don't be so impatient. Those diesels are too fastidious about its fuel. On my way back home I drive a long way round to get good diesel as often as I need to fill the tank. My previous 3,5 was not particular about it at all.

Anyway, this is the only thing you have to be worry choosing a diesel vehicle. Good luck.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Recently paid a visit to my Dealer for maintenance and he confirmed that there will be a 2005 Trooper as well. His inside story is that it will be a scaled down HUMMER in appearance. I don't know where he got that, but hes empahtic about it.
    Drove a DI Axiom while there. That thing will scoot!! it has a good road manner about it and the suspension is tuneable which is nice. The seating position surprised me for a BIG guy. Had plenty of head room, and a comfortable ride. The DI engine boasts 235HP and 24 MPG. Sounds pretty enticing to me. Anyone here own one of these??
    I went back to my dealer this morning (long story) and was looking at their half dozen Ax's, all DI's. The window stickers quoted 250 HP. Wonder what the difference is . . .
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    I believe he meant to say 250hp on the DI engine. Prior to 2004 they are 230hp.
    That's the re-badge hummer version of the Isuzu engineered colorado pickup. They are re-badging it as a Hummer and selling it next year.

-mike
    Installed a set of Rancho 5000 instead OEM Tokico. What's the difference? The great one! Tomorrow I'm gonna call on my country house. Will be testing them on X-roads.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    A major milestone for me. I've never managed to keep a vehicle this long, Who da' thunk it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's great Raydahs!

I did it once before and am about 8 months from rolling over 100k again myself. I think you need a 100k sticker for the Trooper now.

Steve, Host
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    First of all, Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it. I'm wondering if people who've owned both the 92-97 series and the 98-on series have any observations about which engine/transmission combination has been more reliable. Do the 3.5L (with TOD) vehicles have more problems than the older ones? I ask this because I'm looking to buy another Trooper and I didn't own my 1999 (totalled while a friend was driving it) long enough to know how reliable it was. Certainly I didn't have any problems with it in the three months I owned it and I really liked it.

As I research the web I'm finding that many people have had no problems with their Troopers (other than routine oil consumption) while some seem to have had major engine and transmission problems. Has there ever been a survey to find out how common these problems are (I don't trust the CR reliability reports)? The challenge with anecdotal information is that its hard to gauge how common a given problem might be. Has there ever been a survey on this board? If not, may I ask the following questions and invite anyone and everyone to reply?

1. What year is your Trooper?
    2. What is your engine/transmission/4WD combination?
    3. How many miles are on it?
    4. Does it burn oil, and if so, how much?
    5. Have you had any problems with the vehicle (excluding routine wear and tear, etc.)?
    6. Can you estimate the total cost of repairs to the vehicle since you've owned it?

Please feel free to answer this for as many Troopers as you've owned.

Thanks, I'll also check intellichoice.

Cheers,

Sean
    Ironically, I got the sticker 3 hours earlier in a parking lot (1st. door ding) in 5 years! Oh well, just have to laugh about it now.

Yeah your Quest is another keeper, should last for a long while.
    1. 99' Performance pkg. same as LS version.
    2. 3.5L / 4L30-E(AUTO) see link below/ TOD
    3. 100K
    4. 1qt./1K
    5. At 80K, Transmission went into a "safe mode" shifting erratically and very hard. Solution, pull over turn off engine for a minute and re-start ala re-booting. It's done it twice since then.
    6. 30K = $400.00, 60K = $500.00, 90K = TBD

Tranny link http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/app- - s/4l30.htm
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    1. '00 Ltd.
    2. 3.5L / 4L30-E / TOD 4wd
    3. 44k
    4. 1/2 Qt. / 3k
    5. Rear pinion seal leak at 22k, drive by wire accelerator board at 26k - all warranty.
    6. No repair costs to date - all warranty as stated above...only routine maintenance plus installing 4 Rancho 9000RS shocks & 4 B-stone A/T Revos.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Oh, I forgot to list 1 battery replacement.
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Cool, let's keep this rolling along. Hopefully the information might be useful to a lot of people.

Thanks to those who have responded,

Sean
    '01 LS 2WD, Sunroof/Leather
    3.5L/4L30E
    Poly Sway Bar Bushings
    ZERO oil usage!
    30K service = $300
    EGR/Fuel Injector/General Emissions (?) service at 35K = $300
    New Battery at ~20K
    Typical routine maintenance

Trooper been veddy good to me . . .
    The CD changer is gettin' real picky about CD quality. Several Memorex's I recently burned skip, hang, and cause ERR messages. Could just be the disks, though.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    1. '99S
    2. Auto/TOD
    3. 37K
    4. burns very little oil
    5. Steering column replaced due to wear, catalytic converter failure, intake manifold gasket, battery went at 3 years, front end alignment needed shims to correct caster problem when brand new, **
    6. More $$ than I would have liked. Original aligment problem cost a few hundred out of pocket. Dealership screwed me 1 month after 30K service they said that my brakes needed replacing and that includes hub repack, which was done at 30K so I had to pay another $200 or so for that work twice. It has cost me a lot of time taking it far out of the way to get it fixed (and each problem required several trips due to weak dealership...which is the only one within 1 hour). I have spent some of my own money on getting tranny flushed at 30K and the axle/differential fluid changed after summers of offroading.
    7. I added bullbar, offroad lights, OME Shocks, CD/MP3 player, thule rack and CB.

**Engine short block replaced due to sucking in a bunch of muddy water, insurance and Isuzu covered all but $100.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    My 99 had 65K when totalled in an accident.

Had two bad intake manifold gaskets, a bad fuel pressure regulator, and the CD changer crapped out twice. All but the second CD changer were under warranty.

Burned maybe a quart of oil in 3,000 miles.
    I also forgot for mods...P265/70R16, Bridgestone Deuler A/T's.
    my congrats on 100k's jubilee! I really believe that a Trooper can survive 200k point, because it has truly legendary reliability of a genuine Japanese Truck. The only thing of doubting its fact is transmission and a rear diff. Does your veteran have any outside noises coming from these parts if the truck runs at high speed?
    Tire noise is all I get at speed. However I do get a groan coming from the rear end while in Reverse, but I don't worry about it.

I would love to get the opportunity to go 200K with this truck, but I'm concerned about the tranny. I wonder how much damage I've done when it goes into "safe mode". Others recently have had transmissions go bad, but covered under warranty, I'm way out of warranty.

Got to admit though, I've been shopping around for something new, just can't find anything that I "must have".
    Well ever since they flushed and replaced the filter, the trooper tranny has been like new. Just wanted to update you guys on that.

Also got new tires and alignment and it's nice. Now I need to get OME Shocks for it and i'll be in good shape.

-mike
    What did you get? The OME shocks were a great add for me, especially after adding the bullbar.
    Pirelli Scorpion ATs 275-70-16. For $93 I can't beat them. Same as last time.

-mike
    (Original Equipment of Manufacturer)

I excuse for my complete ignorance :-)
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    1999 S (base model)

3.5 L TOD 4WD

No

5. Have you had any problems with the vehicle (excluding routine wear and tear, etc.)?
    Changed engine intake gasket at 30K. No other problem

6. Can you estimate the total cost of repairs to the vehicle since you've owned it?

Change oil by myself.

I used to use ISUZU dealer for 15K 30K 45K services. They are pretty expensive (about $600 for 30K service). Now I switched to a local mechanic who did the 60K service for $250. I don't think there is much difference.

Upgrade/maintenance:

New battery at 40K from Sum’s club, and it died in 10 months, got full refund. Now got Optimal, which is damn good.

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 (Highway All-Season) tire at 50K, they are good.

Rancho 5000 shocks at 40K, it is a must

Get rid of stock radio and speakers, they are suck. Upgraded to Alpine. I should have get the ones that can place MP3 :(

Garmin PDA-based GPS
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    My Trooper was tailgated three times in Near West Side in Chicago. (If you live in Chicago, you know how people drive there.) All of them happened when my wife was waiting in front of the traffic lights (Yes, I bought the Trooper and my wife drives it now:( ) It is amazing that there was even not a scratch left on the Trooper. The bumper of Trooper is so high that when other cars hit it from the back they got beneath the bumper. And you can imagine how the other cars would like :)
    OME is a brand name for Shocks/suspensions made and distributed by ARB...From their website ARB stands for the founders initials, Anthony Ronald Brown. "OME" = "Old Man Emu"

Try \\www.arbusa.com
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    1998 Trooper S with Performance Package (equivalent to the LS model of newer years)

3.5L V6, 4-speed auto (4L-30E), Torque on Demand 4wd.

Has gradually increased from 1 qt every 3000 miles to 1 qt every 800-900 miles at present.

Very few.
    Intake manifold gasket - warranty covered.
    CD changer replacement - warranty covered.
    Also, I think the replacement manifold gasket is in the process of going bad based on similar symptoms as last time.

Can't think of much else besides routine maintenance.

'Repairs' - I am pretty sure I have not paid for any unexpected maintenance aka repairs on this vehicle. Excludes body damage due to fender benders - had a couple minor issues fixed at no cost to us.

'Maintenance' - probably spent $2-4k. Dropped $1,200 on a major service at 75k miles - timing belt, water pump, new brakes, etc. Do own oil and fluid changes (exclude trans). New tires @ 52k $450. This set of Michelin LTX 245-70-R16 is still going strong. Recommended. Serpentine belt. Never needed an alignment or steering work.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Pertains to our prior Trooper, which was totaled in an accident about 4 years ago.

1996 Trooper S

3.2L SOHC 24valve V6, 4-speed auto (4L-30E, I think), shift-on-fly 4wd.

51,000 at time of death.

If I recall, a quart every 2000-3000 miles.

Very few.
    Power window problem (caused by me trying to open it while frozen shut) - warranty covered.
    Very little else - cannot recall exactly. No major component problems - engine, trans, etc.

Did not spend anything on repairs - vehicle was under warranty until shortly before its demise.

Routine maintenance was pretty minor - did not need new brakes or tires yet, or major service (timing belt etc.).

Overall, the 98 is smoother and quicker and more useful in bad weather because of the TOD. I wouldn't really say it is more refined than the 96, because both are trucks through and through. Somehow, the 96 got better fuel economy in spite of lower EPA ratings.

I've posted on Edmunds before about differences between the 98 and the 96. Search back and I'm sure I have given more detail in the past.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    '99 Trooper w/Luxury Pkg.

3.5L/4sp. Auto/TOD

Yes, since day 1. Burns about 1 qt. every 2k, more if extended highway driving or towing. Used Mobil 1 since 1st oil change.

Has transfer case and transmission mounts tightened under warranty after 2 months of ownership.

Not counting routine maintenance, I have only replaced the battery. Cost was $110 for Optima.

Tom
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    1999 Trooper S with Performance Package (equivalent to the LS model of newer years)

3.5L V6, 4-speed auto (4L-30E), Torque on Demand 4wd.

Has gradually increased from 1 qt every 3000 miles to 1 qt every 2500 miles at present.

Very few. Recently replaced EGR valve. Replaced serpentine belt and plugs.

6. Can you estimate the total cost of repairs to the vehicle since you've owned it? $450

Been to the dealer 4 times now for driveline noise (clunk) when coming to a stop. The replaced the driveshaft and fiddled around with transmission mounting bolts. No resolution yet. The driveshaft cost $600+ at dealer cost. Mileage was 59,800 barely under the warranty.

Do my own oil and fluid changes (exclude trans). New tires @ 39k.
  • cwmcwm Member Posts: 42
    1. 1999 Luxury
    2. 3.5L/Auto/TOD 4wd
    3. 65k
    4. no oil burn between changes
    5. no major repairs, 30K service was done
    6. typical stuff like 1 battery, 1 set of tires 255/16/70 Bridgestones
    7. always changed oil at ~4,500 miles - not synthetic
    8. See following for record of expenses:
    http://www.isuzu.8k.com/First-57k-miles.htm
  • cwmcwm Member Posts: 42
    My son will turn 16 in a couple months and we looked at a 1998 Trooper Luxury with the following observations:

- 98,000 miles
    - Average overall condition - some scratches in and out.
    - Oil leak at one of the spark plug coils
    - When transmission is in neutral, and move 4wd leaver to 4Lo, slight grinding is heard (my 1999 Trooper does not grind)
    - Parking break leaver is tight and can only barely pull up
    - CD player missing
    - Good tires
    - Green with grey leather interior
    - Asking $7,900 - said will take less

I would appreciate any opinions on this purchase. Have not driven vehicle yet but it starts up ok and idles smoothly.
    Seems well deserving of 7,900. The only thing I'd suggest to check is the transfer case, what if any leak is available?
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Do an Edmunds TMV assessment. I think $7900 is high. I did a TMV and got a private party retail of $5806 if in average condition... I urge you to do one. Try this link as a starting point.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/
  • quickstepquickstep Member Posts: 12
    Great site.

I wonder if anyone has done a do it your self brake job on an '02 trooper with 31,000 miles. I have pulsing brakes and had an estimate from the dealer to replace all pads and rotors for about $1500.00. Seems kinda overkill in terms of price and extent of service due to low mileage. I did a front brake job on my infiniti j30, replacing pads and rotors. It was quite simple. Due to TOD, removing the hubs seems to add another dimension to the job. Any help or suggestions will be greatly looked forward to.

Thanks!
    Although I've done the rear rotors and pads all around. 75K miles and the front rotors are still ok.

I know from other Isuzu guys that the front hubs are a major PITA.

-mike
  • paul325xipaul325xi Member Posts: 3
    I have a 93 Trooper with 145k on it, My oil light started to flicker and the guage started to show more variation. My mechanic said the pressure was good (15-20 at idle, 50 at 3000 rpm). Has anyone had similar problem
    Just ordered from Rocky-road a set of OME springs and shocks.

OME 929 Expedition Springs
    OME HD F/R Shocks

-mike
  • myhuns2myhuns2 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Acura which is really a re-packaged Trooper . Oil consumption is now up to 1 qt per 800 miles. The car only has 54000 miles on it and before the warranty was up I complained to deaf ears. Acura says it's normal consumption. The car also runs rough,and sometimes dies at intersections. The dealer via the manufacturer has never attempted to fix either problem. The oil consumption seems to be a standard problem with this Isuzu product! My question is has anyone every successfully sued either the Acura( American Honda) or Isuzu manufacturing companies to make them fix the problems with these vehicles. I have documentation to prove the problems started before the warranty expired and that they never fixed them!
    Stalling is due to intake manifold, common problem on the 3.5s. As for the oil some burn 1Q/1000miles some don't. I know several that are at 250K miles and you just put in a quart every 1K miles.

-mike
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,942
    My father is going through this exact same thing right now. Only difference is, his oil consumption is a bit greater. Isuzu told him that 1 quart per 800 miles is acceptable. So his is now using 1 quart every 500 miles, I believe.

Anyway, its been months and months now that he is fighting with them. They do admit, however, that, if the problem exists, they will fix it. The process is taking so long because they keep dancing in circles regarding their "testing procedures" and how to exactly measure this oil consumption. (I believe the latest excuse is that they need to have the same tech check the oil both times in that one month period and they haven't done that yet)

But as far as I understand, if you have documentation regarding the issue prior to the end of the warranty, you have a leg to stand on.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    $1500? - No way! - Take it a good tire shop or brake shop - I know Isuzu wantd $300 just to repack the front wheel bearings - NTB (tire shop) here in Huntsville, AL charged me $59. They probably don't need to replace anything but the pads and turn the discs. I'm surprised about needing new brakes on an 02 with 31K miles. On our 01 with 45K the brakes were inspected when they repacked the bearings and were still almost like new - however many of our miles are. interstate - but 31K regardless is awfully soon.
    An experienced front end shop can remove the wheel/hubs in minutes. Also, are you sure that the breaks are not covered under warranty - especially if they are so inclined to change out parts.