Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• drffultondrffulton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 TB with 19000 on it now and have the same problem. Will go for weeks with no problem. Then wont crank and gauges erratic. Is at the Chevy dealer now,can't find any problem. My guess is ignition switch too, but dealer not wanting to change.
  • dhoneybunydhoneybuny Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. I bought her new and have put 127,000 + miles on her. She is a gem. However, for the last 27,000 miles the electric windows have been acting up. The front passenger window will sometimes cause the dome light to flash when it is going up or down, and sometimes the dome light stays on (have had a drained battery from this). The driver window will sometimes "stick" so that is doesn't go all the way up. Not fun when it starts raining. Both problems work themselves out and then start again at random. Now to add insult to injury, her gauges are acting up. Her oil pressure gauge will drop when I'm sitting at a stop light, and pick up again when I accelerate. The temperature gauge will climb past 210 and then drop to 150 (I don't think the temperature could drop that fast if I lived in the Arctic even). I've talked to several mechanics as I don't trust the people at my dealers shop (they screwed me once, and won't get a second chance), and they are all puzzled. I figure it has to be a bad fuse, or relay or something.
    Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. (Not all Jimmy's are lemons, mine's just sick)
  • ktmfreak99ktmfreak99 Member Posts: 5
    it is back behind the distributer a little off to the right. I had to pull my distributer to change it.
  • madkowracingmadkowracing Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 89 Beretta. I ended up changing the Crankshaft Spark Position Sensor. Solved the problem and all was well.

Good luck.
  • mudthursteemudthurstee Member Posts: 3
    TAIL LIGHT REPLACEMENT. its easy,
    1. gather 1 combo wrench and 1 pair of pliers.
    2. unhook one side of the hydraulic arm.
    3. change your tail light.
  • mudthursteemudthurstee Member Posts: 3
    Hey i had a similar problem in my 97 s10 blazer. the rear window broke. and a new one was ridiculously priced so my sisters boyfriend took it to a junk yard and got a replacement window... GOOD MOVE. the bad move was that he replaced it himself and could not get the window to open. luckily i had enough spair time to mess with it that i realized i needed to crawl in the back of my little 2d and get about a 14mm combo wrench right behind the outer latch handle. about half an hour later i got it open. 2 nuts, half an hour. after it is open drop the tailgate and take off the plastic panel. you said that you can still hear the release working but not catching. well the components inside the tailgate come loosed easily. just tighten that biotch up and ure good to go.
  • sharptecsharptec Member Posts: 2
    Have an 89 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 liter. When the engine reaches temperature, it acts as though it is flooding and stalls. Once the engine cools it starts right back up again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
  • blaze100blaze100 Member Posts: 3
    Sharon,
    The problem was the multi function switch on the steering column. They call it a switch, but its the whole assembly including the turn signal lever and the hazard switch. I picked it um on ebay brand new for 160.00 . I put it in myself and no problems at all. Hope this helps!
    Julian
  • itsroxitsrox Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if you ever got the question answered about the digital dash on your Blazer? My son has a 1993 Jimmy GMC with the same issue. This is the 2nd time is has went off and this time it does not want to come back on.

If you know of anything to check or possibly had a reply can you let me know?

thanks so much!

Roxanna image
    Anyone had this issue before where the dash lights go off and not come back on???
    Checked the fuses, they are all good. Checked the wiring as best as we could, no burnt wires...

Help!

I was wondering if you ever got the question answered about the digital dash on your Blazer? My son has a 1993 Jimmy GMC with the same issue. This is the 2nd time is has went off and this time it does not want to come back on.

If you know of anything to check or possibly had a reply can you let me know?

thanks so much!

Roxanna image
  • fr8huntfr8hunt Member Posts: 1
    i have a 93 blazer s10 tahoe with the 4.3 vortec, its in relatively good shape, last few days it has been running and starting fine then all of a sudden it dosent start. let it sit a while, then it starts, i was driving it all day today, it was fine, now it wont start at all, i let it sit for a few hours, and it still wont start. any pointers appreciated.
  • avsroolavsrool Member Posts: 4
    I know there are many messages I can browse through on this subject, however, my time on the internet is limited. Here is the situation with my 2000 Chevy Blazer:

COOLANT SYSTEM:
    Turn on heater during normal driving conditions. Receive cool air and then hot air and reverts to cool air again (does this on a back and forth basis). At one point, I had an overheat condition in which the system had corrected itself. Parked the truck and smelled coolant. Looked for leaks around and underneath the engine and inside near the heater core to find anything obvious with no luck. My guess the coolant system is clogged and needs to be flushed. Am I correct on this or will it be more than that?

4WD:
    I think my truck is possessed by the devil himself. My 2HI light will flash at start-up. During normal driving conditions, my 4LO will flash but doesn't engage. Sometimes when I pull out of the parking lot, my 4LO will automatically engage and I have to turn off the engine, put it in nuetral and start up striking the 2HI key which takes me out of the 4LO mode. My guess is that the computer is whacked, sending false signals to the drive transfer case thing-a-ma-jig because my 4WD will engage but not when I want it too.(physically)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and hopefully I can save some bucks on my primary source of transportation. I really don't want to ride the secondary source of transportation to get to work...the city bus.
  • jaymejayme Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Blazer and the other day I went out to check all the fluids and the change the oil. I went to pop the hood and when I pulled the lever nothing happened. Is there another way that I can get the hood open? I even took some needle nose pliers to the wire connecting to the lever and gave that a try but no luck. Thanks

Jayme
  • smush29smush29 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Chevrolet Blazer started making a clicking noise today. It sounds like the turn signal flasher. The clicking sound is coming from the same little black box, on the passenger side from under the kick panel, as the turn signal click comes from. It just comes on and off on its own and sometimes when it will stay on when I've just used my turn signal. I was wondering if anyone knew what this problem is because I don't have very much money and would like to try and fix this myself. Please if anyone knows please message or email me back.
    Thanks
    Sterling
  • kccouplekccouple Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 4X4 Blazer.
    In the past year: the handle to adjust the seat has broken off both passenger side and drive side, there is a clicking that sounds like blinker coming from dash, fuel gauge flutters and does not display accurate fuel level reading, and most recently, when we turned on the air, smoke (electrical) came from steering column. Turned off air, parked in safe area and turned air on again – we have fans but no temperature (cool or hot). The other issues are annoyances we can deal with, this one will require a trip to the shop.
    Has anyone run into this last issue (smoke, then no temp control)?
    Thanks,
    Tracy
  • sswigartsswigart Member Posts: 1
    Not sure what's up with your car pieps4157 but my 1999 Blazer is in the shop getting a 'new' used transmission. Was just going down the road, it jumped a couple of times and stuck in second.
  • kman0199kman0199 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 1998 Blazer it must be common
  • chevygalchevygal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 S-10 with only 120,000 miles. Wouldn't start last month. We replaced the fuel filter module in the fuse box (it was burnt on one side).

2 days ago: it would not start - again. We replaced the module a second time thinking something electrical was shorting them out. Still wouldn't start.
    Yesterday: Had it towed to the garage. Still wouldn't start.
    Today: Once they started to hook it up to the scope, it started and has been running every since.

We don't know whether to start with the electrical or the fuel system.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I had the exact same problem with my '98 LT 4WD. My mechanic replaced the "combination signal switch". Cost $300 to fix (~200 parts, 100 labor). Well worth it - that noise is pretty annoying.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I had no A/C when spring rolled around this year. Recharged the system and had dye put in. Went back a week later and discovered a slow leak from the back of the compressor. My mechanic estimates about $800 to replace the compressor and the accumulator.

Is this something I can do myself? No I need to replace the accumulator also? (I don't even know what it does.) Can I just get a used compressor or a rebuilt from the junk yard, swap it out with the old one and have the system recharged or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance. By the way, I have a '98 Blazer LT 4WD.
  • ashleyrae84ashleyrae84 Member Posts: 3
    My Blazer dies too. I've come to find that it's the relay switches in the glove compartment. Check those. Mine are real loose, I think there's a lid on the relay harness (the box the switches are in) but mine is missing ( Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a lid on it??), so it's duct taped for now, lol. If the relays come loose just the slightest bit, my car dies.
  • robert2078robert2078 Member Posts: 2
    My Jimmy is 2 wheel drive. Its a 2001 model 4.3L. So what was the $34 repair you did that fixed the fuel problem? :(
  • fferrelfferrel Member Posts: 1
    Jayme,

Do you have a bug shield? If so, that will sometimes cause your hood to stick. Try pulling the lever then shove down on the hood, this will cause it to pop back up and sometimes open. You may have to shove down on it a couple times to free it from the jam.

Hope this helps

Frank
  • lord_vaderlord_vader Member Posts: 2
    I have been having trouble with my tranny lately. Every now and then the SES light comes on and it shifts very very oddly. It acts like it doesnt want to go into over-drive because at 70 mph the tach is at 3000-3250 RPMs. Also, from a dead stop it takes about 1500 RPMs to get going.

I had my tranny flushed and new fluid, filter and seal treatments added this morning; thinking that there might be some trash in the tranny clogging a valve. This didn't help.

So, before I left I had them put the code reader on the computer and it read:
    SHIFT SOLENOID B ELECTRICAL
    and a numerical code that was P047(and another number either 5 or 8 I believe).

How do I go about getting this fixed? Is the solenoid bad? Could a sensor or wire be out of place causing the trouble? I have no clue at this point. If it is a replacement part is it something I can get from the local AutoZone or OReillys or is it a dealer only item?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
  • lord_vaderlord_vader Member Posts: 2
    Also, the guys at the shop said that when the flushing machine was hooked up to it, the tranny was building more than normal pressure. I think he said at idle it was building over 100psi. After the code was read, he said that was probably the problem.
  • mclowemclowe Member Posts: 8
    I have a '90 S-10 Blazer 4-wheel drive that recently seems to have lost all its power. The engine rev's very high to get the truck to crawl forward. It still moves forward and backwards. Putting it in 4-wheel drive does not help. I don't have a tachometer to tell exactly what the RPM's are, but it sounds to be around 4 or 5 thousand. It is an automatic transmission. The transmission was rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago (by Aastro tranmission, who subsequently refused to be of assistance).

Initially, I thought the transmission had gone out again, but then I noticed that it does still shift. When I was moving it to my back yard, I heard and felt it shift to second and the RPM's dropped a little. It didn't gain anymore power. Since it shifted, I am thinking it may be the torque converter or other problem, rather than the actual transmission.

I'm about ready to pull the tranny out and take it to be inspected, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about things I should check first?

Thanks.
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    My 2001 Blazer 4x4 is in the shop (Chevy dealer) at this moment for a continuous "tire noise" and a vibration at speeds of 60 mph and over. They just called and told me my hub assembly is going bad, which is estimated at $500 for the repair. I have an aftermarket extended warranty that sucks and probably won't cover it. Since I don't really know much about cars, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this hub assembly issue, such as it's importance, typical cost, etc. My Blazer has 61,000 miles.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • meangreenchevymeangreenchevy Member Posts: 1
    i have a 92 chevy s10 blazer 4x4 with a miss at about 800 rpms its a 4.3l tbi with a auto trans i have replaced alot of stuff but still have the problem any ideas ?
  • gabhanjacisagabhanjacisa Member Posts: 19
    1989 S-10 Blazer 4x4 w/2.8L: what do I need to do to prep my a/c system to see if it will hold a negative pressure overnight, i.e. flush, dryer, leak test, etc.? What I am plannning on doing is "converting" my R-12 system to use the product Freeze 12 instead of R-134.
  • krazeekrazee Member Posts: 1
    The hub assembly is the housing for the bearings. Unlike normal vehicles, you can't just pop out the bearings, grease em up, pop em back in and be good to go. They are in a sealed case and the whole assemply needs to be replaced. Had mine done on my 2k Blazer at about 62000 miles when I got my tires replaced and $500 was about what I was charged (can't remember the exact amount). If I recall correctly, most Vettes have a hub assembly in them as well.

Hope this helps.
  • bluenotebluenote Member Posts: 1
    having similiar problems as 5/2 post. 4wd hi an lo lights switch on at the same time simultaneously for no reason the past few days. today while leaving parking lot, 4wd lo kicked in and wouldn't switch back. I turned car off, when turning back on and switching back to drive, going through gears at reverse heard a noise, but did kick back in to 2wd at drive then was ok the rest of way.
    also broke the cable when pulling the plastic lever to open hood, just snapped right at the lever. is this difficult to fix?
    I have had most of the problems here plus a few more, now is out of warranty. Hate more big expenses if avoidable, so any advice would be appreciated!
  • kevin53kevin53 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy that had the same problem. I searched and searched for the answer, and found it late one night. The fix is relatively simple. When the turn signal is turned on little metal shavings rub off. These shavings get into the lubricant around the connectors and end up bridging the gap between circuits. So in essence, the turn signal switch is partially connected, which is why you get the clicking sound. Just take the plastic casing off, and unscrew the piece that holds the signal arm in place. Clean all of the connections (little metal plates) and re-lubricate with an electrically conducive lubricant (You can do it without the lubricant, but it is only a short-term fix , approx 1 year). You also have to pull out the hazard flasher switch (Pulled straight up on my 98 Jimmy) and clean and re-lube it as well. Put it all back together, and that should do it. Hope this helps, and p.s. be careful cleaning the signal arm. There is a little spring inside that is easy to lose!
  • john68john68 Member Posts: 3
    My '96 Blazer S10 has a malfunctioning tailgate. Cannot get it to open either by key or remote clicker. Has anyone else had this problem? Can you give me a suggestion as to what to do? Also, 2 doors on passenger's side also is malfunctioning electrically. What caused this and is it a quick fix or does it need a trip to the Chevy dealer?
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    There was a loud clunking sound coming from under the passenger floor board of our '99 Jimmy that was getting worse by the day. I crawled all over the place underneath the truck trying to find the problem with no luck.

For those who have the same experience, the problem turned out to be a loose and stripped frame bolt. It took the mechanic three different road tests to finally track it down.
  • afterburn1212afterburn1212 Member Posts: 1
    The price is not out of line for a dealer, but I just replaced a drivers side hub assy. on my 99 Blazer, it had 78,000 mi. It is not a difficult job, but not an easy one either. first you have to loosen the hub nut, remove the wheel, remove the caliper and bracket assy, remove the rotor, finish taking the hub nut off, disconnect the anti lock pigtail, then remove the the hub assy. instellation is the reverse. like I said it's not hard but not easy either. took me about 2-3 hrs.
  • lalo3lalo3 Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with my 98 jimmy, "same as the blazer",its easy to replaceIts a matter of simply removing the tire,brakes, hub bolts, and rotor witch slidesoff, save yourself 300$ buy the part, Dont pay more than 200-250$ New or factory refurbished, or at a junk yard, for a about 50$ good luck
  • tek4youtek4you Member Posts: 1
    Hey, Cinabug!

I have had this trouble before, it took me 8hrs to diagnose and cost about 45.00 to fix. In the distributor there is a wire wrapped coil that is used for the magnetic pickup, this coil is going open and no longer delivering the signal to fire a spark or make the injectors pulse. I am sorry to see that all of the other parts were replaced.

Good luck, and I hope your problem is resolved.

Bill (tek4you@pacbell.net)
  • booniteboonite Member Posts: 1
    I tore up my wifes Blazer Yesterday, I pushed the 4 high button in to far and now it wont switch out of 4 high. I pulled the swith out and tried to look it over /(from the back ) but still no help. If I disconnect the switch (from the wire harness) will it switch back to 2 high? My wife needs it for work and it is stuck in 4 high. Hoe can I get it to go in 2 high.
  • izzieizzie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Jimmy and there is no power to radio but the radio clock comes on, the wiper does not work, the rear window latch remote switch does not work either and the driver side electric window does not work. All fuses are fine. The washer motor does not work either but when I feed 12V directly to the washer motor, it work. I would appreciate any help any one can offer on this.

Thanks
  • oldfox1oldfox1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 gmc jimmy. The radio only has a "hissing" noise with the station barely noticable. The antenna is ok. Just started one day. Any help would be appreciated. :)
  • gunnermangunnerman Member Posts: 2
    try cleaning out the throttle body
  • gunnermangunnerman Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering how big of tires you can put on a 98 jimmy sle 4x4 with out rubbing I have 15 inch oem rims
  • corkyocorkyo Member Posts: 1
    hey everyone
    heres my problem, my 98 blazer wont start I did verify that fuel pump was bad and was replaced along with the fuel filter,still wont start, voltage/continuity are there at the pump so that rules out a bad ground (I hope) my Haynes manual says if I dont have enough oil pressure it acts like a fuel cutoff. I'm not getting any pressure from the pump at all is this the most likely problem or am I over looking something more obvious, spark, ignition,relays etc... any help would be GREAT
    ps 98 blazer 4wd 4.3ltr v 6
  • jbutkovicjbutkovic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94' S-10 Blazer with a 4.3L Vortec with 123,000 miles. The truck runs great except...............It idles very rough and if it sits at idle for more than about a minute it loads up very bad. Once I take off and blow it out, it is fine until it sits at idle again. I have done a complete tune-up, including fuel filter, cap and rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, O2 sensor, and EGR valve. I have no codes and I don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • smith8smith8 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 98 GMC Jimmy. I tried removing the trim pad from the tail gate to release the window (The 98 Jimmy is a two piece system) and remove the lock/latch mechanism. Unfortunately, I could only disengage the top of the trim. I could see the latch mechanism but I could not determine the problem. Also, I here something turning but the window does not disengage. If I make any progress, I will post it on this site. If you find additional information, please post. Thanks
  • dooleeydooleey Member Posts: 4
    Hey i know what your problem is mine does it 2 i just dont have the money to fix it right now since i am a high school student. Your daughters blazer is going into Passlock which is caused by hear key becoming slightly worn i had another key made when i purchased the car so i i still am able to start. It ocasionly wont start Yesterday to be exact. Another thing she will notice is that the SECURITY light will come on while driving. My suggestion would be to get it serviced by a local gm dealer who you believe you can trust. And mention that the PASSLOCK system needs to be serviced.

Another suggestion for fuel economy in this SUV would be the Synthetic Oil change the start ups are easier and the KNN really adds another 2 mpg not much in the city but it really helps driving on the interstate.
  • preisjuspreisjus Member Posts: 1
    I know that there is quad beams for full size chevy vehicles but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a quad beam conversion for a Blazer??
  • blazer96blazer96 Member Posts: 1
    John,

I also have a 96 Blazer S10 and now my tailgate will not open. It just buzzes. Were you able to find out the fix of is it a trip to the dealer?

Thanks
  • smith8smith8 Member Posts: 2
    It's an old car and I am too cheap to take it to the dealer. I am confident it can be fixed but I cannot get the trim pad off to get to the lock mechanism. I will keep you posted when I get more info. Please share any information you can find. Thanks.