Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• snuke59snuke59 Member Posts: 29
    I am seriously considering buying a Suzuki XL-7. However, the problems that you have had has me having 2nd thoughts. Why do you still feel your Suzuki is a nice truck and a keeper?
  • randyrhodesrandyrhodes Member Posts: 54
    Hi Snuke59,

I have been in the service industry for 15 years now. The issues with my XL-7 are minor. This truck is very rugged and proven to be a fine vehicle. I can go places that my wifes Honda CRV can't go or my friends Ford Escape because the XL-7 has true four wheel drive. Besides, you can't beat the warranty.

If you have anymore questions, I'll be glad to help.

Randy
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Yup, you can't beat that warranty! I still can't believe HyunKia is still saying theirs is "America's Best Warranty" when in fact theirs has the same mileage (100K) and is non-transferrable.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    yea dennis .. In fact Suzukis warranty is BETTER cause its allow over 14000 miles a year a year.. The 10/100k miles allows only 10k miles a year. Everyoen KNOWS that the average mileage Americans drive a year is 12-14k miles a yea. SO the Hy/kia warranty is gone after 7 years anywayand its NOT transferrabe.. what a scam.. heuy KNIOW that most people get rid of their cars after a few years so the warranty goes into the toilet..

Frank
  • lkrk11lkrk11 Member Posts: 15
    Anybody here changed these 2 items out yet?? Just wondering if the Fuel filter is easily assessable. I can't for the life of me figure how and where the Hepa filter is inside. Obviously under the dash,and i know if it was a snake it probably would have bitten me by now, but i am just not seeing it.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    I might be able to assist with the cabin air filter.
    Hey Guys,

My ABS and Brake light went out this morning after a warm up here in Connecticut. I figure a piece of ice or something was stuck on one of the speed sensors. All is well, but I will still have the codes pulled at the dealer while getting the throttle cable recall done on Wednesday.

See ya,
    Randy

XM makes the ride so much better.
    It's a 2002 Limited. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    The cabin air filters are located behind the glovebox. Open it and squeeze the stops to completly lower the glovebox. The filters are back there.

Frank
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    The same thing happened to me twice last winter when the temperature was at or below 10 deg F. Both the "Brake" and "ABS" lights came on simultaneously, and both lights turned off after several miles of driving. I brought it to the dealer after the first incident. They could find nothing wrong and suggested that it was due to ice.
    That is also the same location on the GV and Vitara.
    Thanks for the info, i will try it when the weather gets warm.
    Good Morning,

The throttle cable was installed in less than 20 minutes which was great. There is nothing wrong with the brakes, ice caused the ABS and Brake warning lights to come on. I am installing the WeatherTech mats today.

Randy
  • seans2seans2 Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon - I hope someone else investigated this on a 2003 XL-7 Limited.

I just took apart the area over the shifter to wire something to the 12v adapter, and noticed that there were two wiring harnesses attached to two slots that would be for switching something on (the switches are not there - just a black plastic cover) Could this be the place where a heated seat switch would be? If so are the seats pre-wired - and where would I buy the switch to find out?

Thanks,
    SS
  • jfernjfern Member Posts: 3
    I am picking up my 2004 xl7 this week but can still not decide on a color, vain as it may sound. Am considering the cosmic blue or red. ANy comment?
    I picked Cool Beige so the dirt won't show too much and scratches are easy to hide. I guess you could say it is a lower maintenance color.

Enjoy the new ride,
    Randy
    I'm not a big fan of the cosmic blue, unless you're getting a model w/o leather. To me (and this is just my opinion), a luxurious interior needs a luxurious exterior. So I'd say take the red! Looks great in the XL7 commercials too!!
    Id say that the wiring is there for heated seats but IM SURE the actual headted seats are not. Most cars have idendical wiring harnesses regardless of options to keep replacement easy. Thats a common thing..
    You would need the seats, switches to make your heated..
    Frank

Good afternoon - I hope someone else investigated this on a 2003 XL-7 Limited.

I just took apart the area over the shifter to wire something to the 12v adapter, and noticed that there were two wiring harnesses attached to two slots that would be for switching something on (the switches are not there - just a black plastic cover) Could this be the place where a heated seat switch would be? If so are the seats pre-wired - and where would I buy the switch to find out?

Thanks,
    SS
    Id vote for the red too.. :) Nice color..

Frank
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello everyone. I haven't been on the xl7 post in quite sometime.I have been spending my time in the verona post since i just bought one for myself.Paride, concerning brakes on the xl7.I replaced them on my wifes xl7 at 12,000 miles. I tried to get the dealer to pay since this seemed to early for the brakes to wear out(should be 20-25,000).The dealer wanted 210.00 to replace the front pads. No auto parts store had them and the dealer wanted 88.00 from the parts dept. i found the pads at rock auto.com for 36.00. These were raybestos top of the line, and i installed them myself in 30 minutes..very easy...Other then that problem, we love this suv, and my verona also...
    I had the Suzuki dealer check the brakes last week when I brought my XL-7 in for the accelerator cable recall. I had been noticing more travel in the brake pedal and with 29000 miles on the vehicle, I figured it was time. Sure enough, the pads were just about done. The rotors needed to be cut as well. I had Suzuki do the work because I needed the truck for a fairly long trip a couple of days later and I didn't have time to do the brakes before the trip. With the cold, damp weather we've been having in NY, I really didn't feel like working outside on the car anyway.

Are the front brakes on the XL-7 set up where the back of the caliper swings up to give access to the pads after the bottom bolt is removed? This is the way the calipers were set up on other Japanese vehicles I've owned - makes access to the pads extremely easy.
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Yes the caliper swings back on the xl7. Mine is a 2002, and i do not blame you for not wanting to change them in the cold. I live on long island, and so i know what you mean. The only question is, i would bet the rotors did not need to be cut. The cars of today are made with "throw away rotors, and are very inexpensive to buy new ones. Thats what i am planning on doing when i change the brakes next time on the xl7.
  • beachbrumbeachbrum Member Posts: 16
    Our 2001 XL-7 has a clutch that seems to be creaking at times, especially when it is cold. Also, when we have towed our tent trailer in the past at times when I get out of the truck after some stop and go driving, I smell a scent that smells like burnt rubber although the tires had not been slipping. One time my father in law told me the smell was probably the clutch. I had just finished pulling the trailer up a steep and bumpy gravel road to the campsite.

Does anyone know what gives here?

Thanks!
    your clutch is slipping. :) how mnnay miles and do you ride your clutch??

Frank
  • beachbrumbeachbrum Member Posts: 16
    Well, our XL7 is sitting at about 25000 miles right now. My wife drives it most of the time and the only time I really drive it when we go skiing or when I tow the trailer on a camping trip. Anyhow, I talked to her a little about the odor and really the only time she gets it is pulling into the garage. We have a very steep driveway and a narrow garage and probably rides the clutch getting in. She doesn't smell the odor any other time. The only other time that I have smelled the odor is when towing and the whole ordeal of backing the trailer into a campsite. Plus I do think we may have been really close to being at capacity for our Suzuki the last two camping trips. The trailer's weight loaded was close to 3000 I would estimate plus cargo and passengers were probably at about 800 lbs or more. The truck did awesome through it all on a 1500 mile round trip with mountains to boot.

So anyhow, since the only time we get the odor is on those two occasions, is there still hope for us here or do we need to go and get some work done before it gets worse.

Thanks!
    Has anyone had any problems with their cd players on the 2004 ex xl7? I cannot play my cd's in the mornings because they always skip (they are new cd's with no scratches). Later on in the day when it is a bit warmer, there are no problems. I was wondering if the cold is affecting it and if I should call the dealer or not. I hate to bother them on little issues. I love my new truck and this is my only complaint with it so far. I have had it now for a month and am absolutely satisfied with it's performance. It is just annoying that I have to listen to the radio in the morning on the way to work instead of my own music. Any input?
    I have an 03 XL7 (same exact stereo system). One question: do you have the single CD system or the 6-cd system? I have the 6-cd one and I have had problems like that. During the winter it would sometimes skip. But that was only for a week and then it stopped, even though the weather got colder. If that has been happening for more than a week, I would call the dealer.
    or 02's single cd player plays fine all the way down to almost 0 degrees..

Frank
    Thanks for the input. The cd player is 6 cd and if it continues, then I will contact the dealer. I love being able to get feedback from you guys. I am glad to hear that the problem disappeared after a while.
    We all know that high octane gas only makes a difference in high compression engines. My question is if the XL-7 is considered high compression. It does after all have a 9.5:1 compression ratio. I also noted slightly better performance when using the highest octane available at gas pumps. Can anyone else confirm any of this??
  • trunks1trunks1 Member Posts: 13
    I was just at the dealerships today i spent the whole day looking at suv in 20,000-27,000 price range untill i was just about to settel on the kia sonda(however you spell it) and something told me to go look at and XL7 so i did drove it and liked it and they had 1.9% plus 2000 cash back so i decied what the hey and i got a fully loaded EX model(minus the 3rd row seat) for $441.34 month for 66 months 0 down. This truck is really nice ,sunroof ,leather, seatwarmers abd it's a nice peal color right of the show room floor what more can you ask for :)

p.s I brought it from Wexford nissan,hundia,suzuki Pittsbugh PA
    trunks1.
    I got my rig at country motors, rt 68 west.
    congreats on yoru new XL7 You will se that it is a fantastic truck..

Frank
    Anybody here know where the Anntena Cable it on an XL7. I recently purchased a 10 Disk CD changer and i am looking for the anntena cable plug into it. I am thinking it might be behind the glove box, any know for sure?? Thanks.
  • newxl7ownernewxl7owner Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

Just picked up a 2004 XL7 EX-III 4X4. (Cosmic Blue)

I love this SUV :)

I figured I might as well get it with every option available, and let me tell you, the heated seats and mirrors are a blessing living here in New England. Leather seats when it's below 0 outside are horrible.

Just wanted to share a story with you.

We live in a somewhat rural area of New Hampshire. There a lot of trails and off-road areas in which people bring thier ATV's and SUV's.

As I was driving home on Saturday, I noticed a crowd of people standing off the side of the road. When I looked closer, I noticed a bunch of SUV's covered in mud off on the trails. What caught my eye was the fact that one was attempting to pull the other out of a mud pit.

I pulled over and noticed that the car stuck in the mud pit was a Nissan Xterra (2003?) and a brand new Jeep Liberty 4X4 was attempting to pull it out.

After watching for about 5 minutes, the Liberty managed to sink itself into the mud while trying to tow out the Xterra.

I offered to help while someone went off to go try to find a winch.

We hooked up the tow straps and I put it into 4WD-low. Not 15 seconds later the jeep was pulled out. Backed it up and (with a little more effort) pulled out the Xterra.

I'm very suprised by the performance and capabilities of this vehicle. I expected it to be more of a "slightly-off-road) vehicle.

While the engine could have a little more power, the 5spd auto really seems to help make that 185 HP seem more like 250. Drop it into 4WD-L and it feels like you could pull pretty much anything.

The back seats are cramped (really only for kids) and I wish they'd take a queue from dodge and allow the seats to flip/fold into the floor, but even with them just folding down you do get a rather impressive amount of cargo space.

Overall, I'm very impressed by the vehicle. A few minor querks (sp) here and there, but definately the best I've owned as of yet.

I definately recommend this vehicle!
    ...on your new XL-7. I have a 2002 with 32000 miles on the odometer, and have been extremely pleased with it over my two years of ownership. I've also found a few minor annoyances (is the factory still using those Bridgestone Duelers - mine were shot at 22k miles) but overall, it's been a great vehicle. You'll really appreciate the XL-7 in those New England snow storms.
    you will find this rig to be a sturdy dependable vehicle!
    Congratulations on the new XL7! I have a 2003 XL7 Limited 4X4 fully-loaded with 20K (yes, my family drives around a lot) and we could never have been happier. It's a great SUV and you'll definitely be happy with your choice! Cheers!
    I've seen this on a couple of forum sites, but Suzuki's OEM stereo manufacturer Clarion may put one of their NAV systems into the 05 XL7 as an option. I don't know how true this is, but it would be a great thing!

Another thing I heard is that the XL7 may get OnStar. The Generation IV OnStar buttons would be placed to the left of the hazard lights button, in the currently unoccupied space. Again, I don't know how true this is.
  • jmjjmj Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any neck problems with the Suzuki Xl7? The seats are very uncomfortable and I have had serious neck problems including hunchback.
    What year is your Suzuki? The 01-02 XL7's seats were very uncomfortable. Thank goodness they changed it for 03-04! Sorry about your back pains...
    Interesting - My wife and I have never found the front seats in my 2002 XL-7 to be uncomfortable, except for the folding armrest which is too short and basically unusable. As for the rear seats, I've gotten no complaints from my kids.
    how so? The seats in the 03's have not changed that much..
    I feel that ours in a 02 are confortable jsut fine for us..

Frank
    The seats for the 03 models were changed with stiffer cushioning and the seats were contoured better to conform to a person's body. For 04, the seats received different cushions that feel the same, but can allow for the GEN 2 airbag system.
  • pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I am debating between the Verona EX and XL-7 EX. I want the XL for the room and sitting up high but I like the Verona because of the features and smooth and quiet ride it has.

If anyone has test driven both or owns both, let me know what persuaded you to choose one over the other.

Thanks,
    Stacey
  • luvmyhondaluvmyhonda Member Posts: 1
    I just spent the afternoon looking at all SUV's from 20-27 thousand. I am a nanny and I own a honda civic the family I work for now has 3 in car seats so I am upgrading to SUV. I love the XL7 the best and kia sorento. So I came home and looked at all the car reviews posted. And now I want neither. ABS lights on? CD skips? premature wearing brake pads? no leg room? I can't believe these problems..Worst is the people who say.."replaced my brakes at 20 thousand mile..but love my car...Hello? Have you heard of honda? I can count 11 people off the top of my head I know driving hondas..and except for oil changes and 100,000 mile check-ups we dont have any problems what so ever..none in 11 cars..why is that? I need a car daily I cannot and do not have time for shop repairs..I mean am I hearing you all wrong? How you you all love these cars so much with these problems...if I pay 25 thousand now it will be a honda pilot..in all my years and my parents years and grandparents..we all have honda ..no one needed maintaince...somebody please clear the air on whats up with these XL7's
    Thanks, meredith
    I've owned every car imaginable and Honda are fine but really not much better then any other brand. Our XL7 has been 100% trouble free since we got it in 02/.. Don't listen to those online reviews. The people who are unhappy with their cars only write in. So they are skewed at best.. Look at online honda reviews and you will see unhappy owners there too. BTW- My Dad has an Accord once and it went thru brakes like they were going out of style. He gave up and sold it. Never to buy a Honda again. New brake pad every 15 k miles .. and this was a light accord not a 4000 lb truck..
    It sound you are a Honda person tho. If I were you Id buy a pilot.
    F
  • asxasx Member Posts: 10
    Before I bought XL-7 I was looking an the Pilot and at the Highlander. I spent a lot of time on Honda and Toyota forums. I suugest you do the same. You'll see that there are quite a bit of problems with those cars too. Actually I did not like the common problems with them much more than the (I think minor and not common) probplems with the Suzuki. You are going to read about cheap saggy poor quality leather seats on the Pilot. You'll learn that the Pilot can show rust (!) through paint in a year or two. You'll read a lot of complaints that Highlander way too often has rattles in the dashboard. You'll also find many people complaining of its random transmission shifts. Of course usualy brake pad problems will be there too. Mind you, SUV are quite different animals from cars like Accord or Camry.

Now you take all that and count in the price difference. I paid $24K out of the door for XL-7 EX (leather, heated seats, sun roof, alloy wheels, climate control, galvanized body, etc.) A Pilot with similar options would cost you about $32K. A Highlander would run even more.

Do you see the point?
  • bobp11bobp11 Member Posts: 24
    The Verona and XL-7 have basic functionality differences. One is a sedan, one an SUV. You should first evaluate your needs. I personally have both a sedan (Infiniti) and an XL-7. I love the Suzuki as much as my G35, but for a different purpose. I have it as a second vehicle for light hauling, winter driving, etc., but it is also just one fine rig for average daily driving as well. Yet, it is not a sporty, fast, ride that I can get out of the sedan. See my point? Anyway, don't believe the post about someone complaining just because certain forums have uncovered certain problems. These are the people who are the biggest complainers about maintenance, a little noise here and there, etc. All forums will have someone with an issue from time to time with their car. I have owned the XL-7 for about a year now and I have had no issues what so ever with it. My $35,000 car has had a couple of things go wrong with it, however, nothing major and I still really enjoy it. Remember, any vehicle is a complicated machine with thousands of parts to it and maintenance is a fact of life. Good luck! Bob
  • pazmanpazman Member Posts: 1
    I would have to agree with everyone else. I've also grown up in a Honda/ Acura family. All of my cars have been a Honda/Acura product, except my 04 XL-7 EX, I agree that Hondas are very reliable cars but I don't try and kid myself into thinking that they are perfect. Every car maker has its issues. You have to judge the overall build quality of a car and realize that no car is perfect. I purchased my XL-7 instead of the pilot due to the positive reliability rating of the XL-7 and the price.
    I also spoke with several mechanic friends and they also stated that XL-7 was a solid car.
    Either way, both the pilot and the XL-7 are good cars so you will probably have a good experience which ever car you choose.
This discussion has been closed.