Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• parents2k8parents2k8 Member Posts: 3
    i know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread- help! How do I reprogram my keyless remote? I have already replaced the batteries and I have taken it to the dealer once before and they reprogrammed it but I don't want to have to drive 25 miles everytime...
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    send me a PM and I'll send over the steps to reprogram the fob. I would tell you where to get it, but it's on another forum, and it's a no-no to post about other forums here.

Just make sure you have the right kind of control module, as not all can be programmed (only newer ones).
  • xl7canoeheadxl7canoehead Member Posts: 1
    hi. i also have one fob that has lost its combination. could you also help me? thanks

Stephen Hitchcox

hdesign@ica.net
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Stephan.

It is unwise to post your email address in a public posting - the spammers love harvesting them and the consequences are predictable.

BTW - welcome to edmunds.com!

tidester, host
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I am normally on Chevy Venture site, but bought a 2001 XL7, and have question on tire pressures. Plate on driver's door states 26psi Front and 36psi rear. Is this what most people run at as seems a wide gap?

So far delighted.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    I run 35-40 psi in all 4. This will allow longer tread life, better handling and better gas mileage.

Frank
  • persanpersan Member Posts: 6
    engine vibration not like before but dealer says no it's Ok.But i now it is not.
    Thanks your info, and ran them today all round with 35 psi, but found too hard for my taste. Dropped to 32 front and 34 rear and felt OK. Got last weekend and like the high view and overall performance. Testing the mpg to see how it goes.

Only comment is that the horn sounds tinny, but intend to get transmission fluid changed as well as diff and transfer units. Has anybody put on a transmission cooler. I have one on my Chev Venture and for $200 seems a worthwhile investment.
  • fieldskafieldska Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody,

New member here. I have a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 which I love and spent alot of time in. I have a Aftermarket head unit that I want to install that was in my 99 Grand Vitara. But everywhere I look I can't find a installtion kit.

Does anybody have an idea where I can find such a beast if it exists?
    Have a look at www.Crutchfield.com to see whether they carry the part. When you put the XL7 details in to their system it brings up various options.

Worth calling them, if not already done so, but but put car radio installation kit in your search engine - google as it will bring up a lot of info.
  • terrajmterrajm Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody,
    I am looking into a 2005 Suzuki XL7 it is used with 650 miles. They are asking 21,900. That is just on the site. I have not talked to anyone yet. I was hoping someone could tell me about how much they have been paying.
    I was also wondering about the comfort and convenience. I have a 12 year old and a 9 year old. We are military so we travel around a lot.
    Thanks to anyone that can help a little.
  • scully62scully62 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you could provide me with the Tire brand and #s you made reference to in your message posted on 3/14/05? I would appreciate this.I have had nothing but problems with the original tires on this SUV,they are the worse tires I've ever had! Thanks for the info.
    Linda
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    I must have changed hundreds of oil filters in my days, but never have had the difficulty of changing out the filter for the '04 XL-7. Anyone else have difficulty? If you bring it to the dealer, watch as he reaches high up into the engine compartment from underneath. You can't try that at home, even with a floor jack. So...try from the top; a real knuckle scraper / forearm, wrist, etc. but finally managed...so it might be the last time for me.

Anyone else care to share their experience? I'd like to hear from you.
    I have just bought a 2001 XL 7 two weeks ago, it had come off a lease and always change the oil myself. I bought a new Purolator filter and got a matching end socket cap. However the one on there was slightly larger and could not move it.

As I had drained the oil, decided to leave the old one on as it it went in three days later for a transmission change plus I had the front/rear differentials done as well as the transfer case. So the transmission guy took the old one off and put the new one on for me. $170 the whole lot.

It looks as if it will require a short extension on the socket wrench before it goes into the filter end cap to get at it from the top. It cannot be done from underneath without a lift or you have a pit in the garage floor.

I did want to put on a transmission cooler, which I had installed on our Chevy Venture on the front of the radiator for maximum efficiency, but on the Suze there is not any room.

Fram do one with that black grip stuff on the end, but it seems a small filter compared with the Purolator or whatever was on there. I do like the oil drain plug location and allows you to drain everything out. I normally alllow an hour after a run.

Using Exxon 5-30 which I have found the best across the board.
    I found this message back on some other pages. I have a 2001 and cannot find any reference to them in the handbook. What year were they installed?

Thanks
    According to the handbook, I should have an ABS sign on the instrument display. I just have a regualr "BRAKE" in red. However in the fuse box in the engine there is a circuit breaker for the ABS system. According to the specs the Touring version came with ABS as standard. Is there anyway to confirm?
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    Hello All - I've been away from this site for a while. Up until two weeks ago, I owned a 2002 XL-7 Touring which had 54K miles on it when I traded it in. Over my three + years of ownership, I did 14 oil changes on this vehicle, trying many different ways to "easily" change the oil filter. The best way I found was to slide an oil filter wrench onto the filter from the top, loosen the filter from underneath the truck, and once loosened, go back on top, remove the wrench and spin the filter off. Once off, there is a spot near the firewall by the master cylinder that the filter will fit through, allowing you to remove the filter from the engine compartment. You need to do some trial and error to find that one spot that the filter will fit through, and you have to be careful because of the brake lines. It still is not easy, and contortionist skills will come in handy especially if the engine and filter are hot.

In Japan, where cars are right hand drive, the oil filter is probably not in a bad location. However, with the steering linkage and master cylinder/brake lines moved over to the left side of the engine compartment for North American vehicles, the oil filter location becomes a headache.

Two weeks ago, I traded in my 2002 for a 2005 XL-7 LX3. The 2005 is a beautiful vehicle - Suzuki did a lot of refining on the XL-7 in three years. However, the oil filter is still in the same location. Guess I'll need to keep my contortionist skills intact for the next several years.
    Bought the above for the XL 7 item 33-2155 and replaced the regular paper which I will keep handy. Took it out for a short run and definitely seems better on acceleration and will test the mpg over weekend as have a medium trip on hand. Getting 22mpg so far around town and commute a mix of Interstate and local.

Got it on line at Fox Performance in Grand Terrace CA for $30.82 plus the Filter Care Kit for $8.68. UPS Ground included.This was the best price I could find.
  • gould1gould1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new 04 in January, after almost 2 hours and a trip to the automotive department for a special wrench, I did it. I have decent sized hands and arms and there is no humanly way possible to get any leverage on the filter without a wrench. Once the filter is off good luck not spilling oil all over since you have to take it through a maze to get it out. This was the first and last time I will do the job myself. I would rather pay $30 than go through that again!
  • suzukigrlsuzukigrl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 XL-7 and blew out a tire. My spare has a locking lug that uses the XL-7 key to secure the spare. Has anyone heard of this or know a manufacturer that does this? The reason I ask is because the genius from AAA that unlocked it, lost the cylinder that actually does the locking, and now I have no way to secure my spare tire. It just sits in the cargo area.
    I bought it used from a Subaru dealership and they have no idea about it. The local Suzuki dealership also says that they have not heard of this and that it must be aftermarket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  • emil2emil2 Member Posts: 1
    I Purchased a 2002 Suzuki XL7 Limited edition six months ago, and I cannot be any more happier with it. I fell in love with it the first moment I saw it, it was gorgeous and fully equipped, and I also loved the price that the Suzuki dealer was offering me for it ($12,900), so I bought it instantly. I knew I could not find an suv at this price with all these fancy features. I would recommend it to anybody looking for an economic, reliable and very nice SUV.
    This is a Suzuki part as mentioned in the handbook, so the Suzuki Dealer must be able to get it. Check the handbook and take it into the dealer.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    INSIST that AAA solve this problem for you. Let AAA know that you can and will switch to Better World Club if AAA's practice is to create more automotive problems for you rather than to provide the assistance for which YOU are paying.
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    Look in your engine compartment on top of the driver's side wheel well. There should be a device that all of the brake lines feed in and out of. This is the ABS control unit. The ABS system usually rumbles for about a half second or so a little while after the vehicle is in motion while performing a self check. You may have a blown ABS light. It should come on when you start the engine for a few seconds. :)

Regards,

Ivan, kc5yti
    2002 XL-7+
    Thanks your info. I do not have the ABS and in engine compartment the brake master cylinder is attached to the power assist servo. I did check with Suzuki and advised the model by the VIN number is Plus and did not come with this feature, eventhough the fuse holder under the engine has a circuit breaker in the ABS position. Maybe there were all manufactured this way whether you had ABS or not. As advised just have the word BRAKE in red on the dashboard.

Regards
  • mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    If you change the size of the size of the tire, does it change you Odomiter readings?
    xl- 7 very good car, you have to now how to care about. :blush:
    After digging around behind the glove compartment found the slot for these two cabin air filters.

Got them at NAPA part 4899 which costs 33.49 for two...This is about the cheapest I could find and the NAPA sales person thought there was only one per box.

As info Suzuki also make a carbon impregnated one, approximately $45 each.
  • jrvallejojrvallejo Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone I'm just new in here and I have a question:

I have a 2001 XL-7 I had it since brand new, pretty much it has been a wonderful vehicle almost 100,000 miles and kicking!! only major work done was brand new sets of tires and a clutch!!, now the problem that I have is that since new everytime I depress the clutch pedal (when cold) it makes a squeaking sound; the dealer says that it is normal but I just want an answer from you all and also why it does it? i will really appreciated.
    Does anybody know where this is located on the 2.7?
  • kdilgkdilg Member Posts: 1
    I have also had a lot of problems with the tires. My tires were chopped to death by 15,000 miles, and I got a prorate on the tires through Suzuki. Of course Suzuki insisted on putting the same tires on the vehicle, and here I am at 15,000 miles and the tires are chopped to death again. By the way I have had nothing but problems with the front end, and this SUV is on its way for trade-in. What a piece of junk!!
    choose the tires by your self.I use (WildCat ) very nice tires ( 235/70/16 ). :P
    Prepared myself with new oil filter - Purolator L22821. Pre purchased an end cap socket with 3/8 inch socket, 3 inch and extension and ratchet drive. A beer in the refrigerator would be useful.

Manually put the cap on the old filter (I had a 22821 on there) and place the extension into the end of the socket. ( This has to be worked under the steering column shaft). Connect the ratchet drive to the extension but the handle must be pointing down at about the 4 o'clock angle. Once in place you can lift the handle up and rotate the filter.

I did not remove it at first, but then drained the oil sump. Some of the oil from the filter drains out, but not all of it. I would suggest putting an old rag under the oil filter as some will spill out.

At first it would appear that you cannot get the oil filter out between the engine and the steering shaft. However just move it over to the space by the brake servo and it will slide through.

Once I had cleaned the male part from the engine and slightly oiled the gasket and the internal thread of the filter, it was time to get it on the engine.

This is tricky. Take the filter down under the servo and hold in your left hand as you reposition your right hand. Move your body round to the front of the van and use your right hand to screw it on to the thread, which is all done by feel. I found it difficult to screw on working over the left fender.

Once filled with oil and tested go to the refirgerator!
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    It should be on the back side of the engine, at the end of the driver side valve cover. :)
    Thanks the info. Do I have to take the black plate that is on top of the engine off to access to PCV ?. The side covers seem to house the spark plugs. All the hose other than coolant do not appear to have the PCV valve attached. I am wondering if the 2001 had one.
  • adomenicadomenic Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2001 XL-7 it is the v6 2wd version with no sunroof, the radio says that cd changer control system (or something like that). Does it really have one and if it does, where could i get the accessory to hook up my iPod to it so that i do not have to use an fm transmitter anymore
    Further on my email, did find it OK. Nothing is easy on this engine!
    If you are looking at a plate under the CD with that statment on it. It is nothing more than a face plate covering the hole where a cassette would be on some models of the radio.
    I put in the new PCV and after a few hours driving got the Service Engine Light. I checked the gas cap and it had not been clicked by the attendant (no self serve in NJ) and I also put back the old PCV after cleaning it out.

Next day the light went off concluding the gas cap was the problem, so I put back the new PCV and later today the light came back on. Have put the old one back and trust that light will go out by tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this problem as plan to get one from ther Suziki dealer
    Following up on above. Light went out than came back on again. Bought a real Suzuki PCV - $31 list but dealer $21..Installed OK and filled up with gas. Did not go out so decided to disconnect both battery terminals and upon re connecting went out. Will see how far it goes.
    does anyone know of a connector to connect my ipod to my factory cd player in my 2001 xl-7, please help me.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    our original tires have 23k on them and have plenty life left. Are you rotating them on a regular basis? Do you keep 35 lbs pressure in all? Is the front end aligned properly??

Frank
    Light came back on but re did the battery cable trick, must be over 60 seconds to reset and re clicked the gas cap. So far all seems OK
  • tantytanty Member Posts: 1
    Hello all: I bought a used 2001 XL7 from a private individual who failed to mention at the time of sale that apparently it burns oil. On average, I have to add a quart about every 1500 miles. One of the local servicemen here told me he's seen other XL7s with the same issue. Just wondered if anyone else had that problem. (Other than that, man, I LOVE this puppy...) :P
  • samuraisamsamuraisam Member Posts: 7
    I've looked all over the place and haven't found anything. The best advice I can give you is to purchase a Belkin Tunecast, available at Walmart, Best Buy, and a number of other places. It plugs into the phone jack on your Ipod and plays through an unused FM frequency on your radio. Belkin makes two models; the regular Tunecast is battery operated and only has about 6 or 7 frequencies. The Tunecast 2 has a cigarette lighter adaptor and can be set to any FM frequency. I recommend spending the extra money for the Tunecast 2 because they use up batteries fast and you can run it off the cigarette lighter. I commute 150 miles per day and for the most part it's worked pretty well for me. Hope this helps :)
  • samuraisamsamuraisam Member Posts: 7
    Your serviceman may be on to something here. I own a 2004 XL7 and once in a while smell burning oil when I shut it off after driving. I change oil every 3,000 miles and the tech told me on one such occasion that it was half a quart low. I'm more inclined to think that the engine leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold rather than burns it. The problem could be as simple as a valve cover gasket and that would be the first thing I'd check if I were you. As for me, I'm keeping an eye on the situation and have already told the dealer I might have a problem (the car's still under warranty).
    Normally, I would fill the oil level to the top mark on the dipstick. The handbook for the 2001 implies that it should be in between the high and the low point and if it goes down towards the low marker top it up. This seems satisfactory and have not had the oil burn smell.
  • law944tlaw944t Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I have a 2002 XL-7 touring with roughly 96,000 miles on it. No majors repairs just the routine service stuff. Well, it started cranking slow last Thursday, Friday. Come Saturday Morning, it wouldn't start at all. I have one of those 12V jump start batteries and jumped it off 4 or 5 times Saturday as I had to take my son to the airport for a trip. I get back home and purchased a replacement battery from Wal-Mart. Now it starts up great, however, after it is warm, it won't idle, just stalls. If you keep your foot on the accelerator, it will continue to run. But the moment you take you foot off, it dies. Well, being the brainiac that I am, I unplugged one of the sensors on the throttle body. No, I don't know which one, but idles like normal now. Well, I assume from doing this, I now have a "Service Engine Soon" Light. I need a little help here!!!

Did I do something wrong when installing the new battery? Did I get some bad gas? Or do I just need to break down and take to be serviced. I really don't want to take it to a dealer. I have taken it into two different dealers and had to get REALLY UGLY to get them to finish the job (recall). I really love my XL-7, it has been a great car other than this "hiccup." Suggestions PLEASE!
    I would think the battery is not related and you really cannot get a battery installation wrong. I would take it to a reliable repair shop and ask them to get a read out of the problem from the OBD. If it is straight re hook up for whatever you took off should be OK .They can tell you if something else has gone from the read out. It would appear this started before the battery problem

I have a situation when the check engine light came on and put down to the gas cap not being clicked. I then happen to change the PCV valve then I put the Suzuki one back. The light came on again and although you can take of the neg terminal for a minute to defeat the light it will come back on. This is not a good thing to do as it will mess with the computer

I have a bad O2 sensor and there are four on this wagon. 2 Front and 2 Rear left and right. The mechanic checked them all out and has had to order one from Suzuki dealer and should be in in a few days.

It is worth the peace of mind to get it checked than fiddle around with it.
    Does anyone know what brand and model cd player is in the 2001 xl-7 standard, and if there are any accessories for it.

Also does anyone know of a good upgrade cd player for the xl-7, ones that also not too pricey, i prefer a cd/cassette combo if possible.

Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.