Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

1202122232426»

Comments

• slinky1slinky1 Member Posts: 42
    A small pick-up and a van will make them a real player, 07 xl7 is a great start though, 3.6L...about time!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Fresh from the NY Auto Show.

2007 Suzuki XL7 (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • car19car19 Member Posts: 3
    Suzuki had the #1 selling car in Japan for 4 years in a row, the Wagon R. They also had the title as the #1 selling small car for almost 30 years running.
    There are certain cars in certain classes and certain parts of the world, where Suzuki outsell the competition. They were never #1 overall in Japan. They do however have about 30% of the market, and is Japan's 4th largest auto manufacturer.
    Can you believe the selling price of a V6 Full load Rav4?
    Crazy when compared to the price of the Grand Vitara, another 80 or so horsepower isn't worth almost $9000 more.
    When the new XL7 arrives with 250 hp and $5000 less than the RAV4, Suzuki should put a big dent in market.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    ok the stretched version of the equinox platform?...? LOL!!!! It looks like a curvy tahoe inside and out. As did the vitara, no doubt it won't sell. Be nice if a small block v8 from impala ss made it here.

The minivan idea is good as long as it's not a twin of the current uplander. As i've said, suzuki should go 2 honda for the minivan and truck platforms. A AURA twin for the verona replacement will be swwweeeeeet :shades:.
  • jboy1jboy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I am new to the forum and Im probably posting in the wrong place so Ill apoligize first. I am looking at an 05 xl7 demo that is still on the lot. It has all of the options and only 183 miles on it. It is a 4 wheel drive 7 passenger. It has the remainder of a 7 year 100 K drivetrain warrenty. It has a 36 k bumper to bumper warrenty, and 3 year roadside assistance. beautifull little truck in my opinion and it seems to be the best deal yet. (Ive looked at a kazillion different cars) :sick: They want 22,089 and wont go any lower because they say that its allready been marked down 5000. Is this too much and if so how much should I expect to give for one. I really like this truck but I dont know much about Suzukis. thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • slinky1slinky1 Member Posts: 42
    A curvy tahoe??????????????????????, i dont see a tahoe on the outside, ( but would it be a bad thing if it did at those prices?), and in no way does it look like a tahoe on the inside, perhaps you need to take another look!!!!
    As far as the v8 goes, jeez, suzuki just got this lovely 250 hp v6, a big step up from that little 2.7L, one step at a time..................
  • njmom91njmom91 Member Posts: 21
    Edmunds has the True Cost to Own numbers very high on the XL - 7. Any ideas why? Scrolling through recent posts I only see timing chain issues on 2001-2003 models. It does not seem to make sense given that the MPG for these cars is much better than other mid-size SUVs.

Also - does anyone know if the middle row has three over the shoulder belts? I haven't been to see one yet, am thinking I will wait for the 07, nice looking car.

THANKS!
  • beachbrumbeachbrum Member Posts: 16
    My 2001 XL7 has heater vents under the middle seats, not exactly sure how they are routed there but they are there.
  • vwpwrvwpwr Member Posts: 1
    Have you find out what happened and what was the problem?! I just registered here because I had the same exact thing happen to me (just changed the battery and it won't idle). Thank you in advance.
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Do you know if the suzuki xl-7 2007 is to big for a single person? I want a big suv but don't want to pay to muchfor gas? Whats the average price for gas a week or two weeks with the suzuki? If the suzuki is to big can you recommend a SUV for a single person?
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    I have an '04 XL7 EX I bought new in Aug 2004. Everything going well until this summer. First, OEM Bridgestone tires were almost completely shot after 23,000 miles, just replaced with a new set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws with 80,000 warranty. Last week, I couldn't start the car (due to dead battery). Battery replaced in 23 months (24 month OEM warranty) no $$ help from Suzuki. Now I checked the front rotors and see grooving along the outer edge of the RHS wheel. Could it be time for new brake pads after only 24,000 miles? This is my spouse's car and she can be tough on cars, but one would think pads should last 30K.

Anyone with a similar problem(s) please let me know ... thanks.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I have just turned 60000 on a 2001 which I bought March 05. it had come off a lease in Sep 04 with 38800. Since the purchase, I have replaced one oxygen sensor and the two rear bearings. I had the trans fluid changed as soon as I got it and the oil in the two transfer units and rear axle.

I change the oil myself, although not the easiest it can be done with some patience and techniques learnt on this site. I have found that it needs to be done every 2500 and currently using a Purolator L22821 oil filter with Exxon 5-30. I am looking at Denso as well. I have a K&N Air Filter installed.

MPG on a long highway trip between 24 - 25mpg and plenty of throttle control by easing off the gas when convenient. I am running the tires at 26/36, although the flyer in the pack says back ones at 32 OK. Tires on the van when I got it are Kubota and have several 000's left. Front brake pads replaced and rotors re surfaced at 55,000.

I also found that WD-40 on the rubber bushings where the body connects to the frame along each side, seems to keep it pliant and no underbody noise. Also do the rear shock rubber bushings as well.

When I got the car I took out and extended warranty, so I hoping if timing chain or something major happens then I will be covered. However I am not wishing for that.

I know in many cases it is the luck of the draw, but I cannot be more than pleased with the feel, the controls and switches are positive and its ideal driving position.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Suzuki XL-7
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    Now I will find out how good my 2003 Limited is. We just sold our old Windstar and purchased a 2007 Town and Country Limited. The windstar went to work in the car pool but now the van will stay at home in the garage and the XL-7 will do the daily drive either to the car pool pick up or do the drive. It only has 22,500 on it and it was purchased August of 03 so not a lot of miles. It has been babied and in the garage till now so the real test is about to begin.
  • kimfogskimfogs Member Posts: 1
    hey! email me back on kimfogs@yahoo.com cuz id like to find out more about your problem cuz im having a ton too
    i have an 06 xl-7 and its OFFICIALLY a lemon law suit now. at 18,000 i went for an inspection and the guy said my brakes wouldnt pass...my fronts mainly. ive been in for transmission service 6 times each time they never fix it. took them 4 times to fix my keyless entry and now i have problems also with the passenger airbag

email me on my yahoo email and let me know if you have any of these problems. and yes 24,000 miles is pretty early for brake pads, especially if the car is relatively new.
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    Actually, brake pad at 24K is about right if you drive in the city all of the time. My first set lasted about 20K. I replaced them and they would have lasted about 40-50K. I replaced them early. I was planning to change them out at the 40K mark, but when I pulled them off, it still had half the pad material remaining. I went ahead and changed them out since I already had the new pads. What changed, my driving pattern changed. My job moved. This forced me to drive a different route with fewer stops. Therefore, the pads lasted much longer. These pads are relatively small for a truck as heavy as the XL-7. She will go through them quick. Thankfully, I got my pads from AutoZone, lifetime warranty, free replacements, even if they are just worn out. I got my second set for free.

Regards,

Ivan, 2002 XL-7 :)
    The OEM Bridgestones are crap. I bought Kumhos to replace them. They are much better. Also, if you read some of the previous posts, you will find that many of us, add alittle more air to the tires. I have mine at 36psi all the way around. They seem to wear better there. You will find that 4x4s are a bit hard on tires. I do not know very many that arent. Diligent tire rotations will help. As for the battery, I can't say. I my self have gone through three batterys. lead acid batteries are very sturdy to begin with. I have alot of communication gear in my XL-7. I forgot to turn some of the stuff off on two occasions while we were away. Sure enough, I came back to a dead battery.

Regards,

Ivan, kc5yti
    2002 XL-7+ :)
  • normorenormore Member Posts: 2
    Fist time in guys, I own a 2003 XL7 and recently I've been hearing road noise (I think) as the vehicle get up to 15-20 MPH (30-40Km) . It continues until I slow down again. It almost sounds like a fan cuts in and out. It is consistently doing this and has become an annoyance . I've brought it in to the dealer twice, they agreed it's abnormal but cannot explain what it is . Any thoughts ?

al
  • carfun888carfun888 Member Posts: 25
    Have you been using air conditioning? The blades for the A/C condensor fan can become warpaed and make a sound similar to what you are hearing.
  • normorenormore Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, I asked the dealer about the fan as I also assumed it was the AC.....they said it wasn't so who am I to challenge them ?
    In any case I just gave the vehicle to my daughter .....with concerns over the noise....she says she's fine with it and very happy with her new vehicle.....so maybe I'm just picky.....Thanks again for the info.
  • samwallsamwall Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am looking forward to buy a used 2006 Suzuki XL-7. I mainly wanted to buy 2006 XL-7 due to its AWD, 3rd row seat, and low price. But i have no idea on its performance and maintanance costs involved. I did some reading of this blog thread and found out about tires getting balded very soon on older models but not much information about engine performaces and overall reliability of vehicle. I wanted to see if owners can give some ideas on its performance and reliability.

I would be very thankful if you can post your expriences(good or bad).

Thanks in advance,

Samir
  • lorilynn1lorilynn1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 XL7 with 34000 miles and I have had it at the dealer twice in the past three weeks. It is making a whistling sound that will stop when I turn off the air conditioning. The dealer says it is "just a charateristic noise" of Suzuki models. It is driving me crazy! I also have a squeak from the front suspention. Please HELP!
    What happens if you select different settings on the AC. For example, changing from defrost vents to forward vents and so on. Also, what happens to the sound if you change from outside air to recirc. My 2002 has something similar a while back. It turned out to be a leaf that was sucked into the system. I lived in a heavily wooded neighbor. It took a while for it to clear up.

Regards,

ivan
  • kbrown1999kbrown1999 Member Posts: 5
    My wife has a 2002 XL7. We have had great luck with it. 20 MPG average, less is the winter. The OEM tires, Bridgestones, were too soft and they wore down way too quick. The dealership replaced them at no charge. The front brakes wear down a little quicker than most cars, but they stop fine. Had to replace an O2 sensor when a trouble light came on. Follow the owners manual and you will be fine. We have 89,000 and I would like to keep it a few more years. The only thing I need to do to it is change the fuel filter. I dont know where it is at and the dealership wanted to charge a fortune. We have an independant mechanic that is great and we will have them change it. I would rate this car at a 8.5
  • tscheetahtscheetah Member Posts: 1
    Need tires for my Xl7, which brand & size are you using.
    over 60mph my steering wheel shimmies, thet tell me fromt end align is OK
  • tattoopattattoopat Member Posts: 2
    i am new at this so if i am in the wrong place forgive me i have a 2003 and when i take off about 20 feet i hear almost sounds like a stuck calliper ,drivers side i had it checked out they said it was the abs pump it does sound like its comeing from the abs unit under the hood can anyone give me some info thanks amillion /tattoopat
    If it sounds like a rapid rumbling or groan sound shortly after begging to move forward, it is more than likely the ABS actuator. She is a bit noisy in the 1G XL-7. My has done it since new.

Regards,

Ivan
  • tattoopattattoopat Member Posts: 2
    hey ivan thanks a million for the info ,you have helped me ease my mind /your the best / how are these suvs do you like them /any other thing i might need to know hope to hear from you /if i can help in anyway please ask/ later dude
    By 2003, many of the issues were repaired. However, one of the more common issues is timing chain tensioner failure. This is most common around 30-60K miles. The main symptom is the sound of the chain rubbing on the block during startup. According to Suzuki, it could make the noise for a very short amount of time, but it should never last for longer than 30s. To, me, it sounded like a bicycle chain hiting a chain guard while peddling. To help avoid this, use good oil and filters. I use Mobil 1 synthetic, and the Purolator Pure 1 oil filter. She now has just over 61K miles, and I have not heard the issues since I had it fixed at about 43K miles. She treats me well, and I return the favor.

Regards,

Ivan, kc5yti
  • vudutwovudutwo Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone, i purchased my suki about three months ago ( 65k ) miles and i just noticed a springy / squeaky nioise coming from the front. anyone ever heard of this? driving me crazy...
  • nuttyeggonuttyeggo Member Posts: 1
    About 3 years ago I had a problem with my truck as I was braking. When I would put my keys in and turn the ignition then press my brake pedal to change to drive my engine would rev. That happened a few times. Also when I press my brake pedal the truck would rev and suddenly accerlate nearly causing an acident. I had brought it into the dealership to look at was told nothing was wrong they never heard of that problem before. Then someone had suggested a cable (I don't recall off hand which cable but I do have the paperwork) so I then went back and had that cable changed under the warrenty as a safety issue. Prior to that I did get a recall notice about a cable and did get that cable replaced.

Now just the other day it started to happen again and again luckly I was able to avoid an accident. This time I had truck towed to the dealership for fear of not being so lucky again to miss an accident and just for fear of my safety and those on the road. Again dealership said there is nothing wrong couldn't find anything and had NEVER seen that before or heard of. I reminded them that I was there 3 years ago with same problem but was told no nothing wrong.

Any ideas as what the cause is??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am very concered for my safety and I truly don't feel safe driving it even though it is claimed that "nothing" is wrong.
  • carlosriveracarlosrivera Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know about this....I have a 2001 GVitara xl7 driving I heard a loud noise and when the mechanic checked there is a bolt in the engine that was broken and damage the engine valve head gasket...my mechanic is going to rebuilded but he is not sure is this is going to be a problem in te future due to high milage?
    Does anyone know about something like this? the engine have > 190K
  • help2009help2009 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I need help. I live overseas and I'm planning to bring my car to the US this summer but the car is righthand drive. Is it possible to switch it to lefthand and how much approximately it will cost me. Appreciate any advice. THANKS!!
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    I am looking to buy a 2004 to 06 XL-7. I really only need a five passenger version but have been finding that most XL-7's are seven passenger. If I removed the rearmost seats entirely, which would increase cargo area and reduce weight, would it leave the carpeted floor like in the five passenger versions? :shades:
  • ghostrider4ghostrider4 Member Posts: 1
    anybody have a complete manual for 2003 suzuki XL7 thanks tom
  • conchmanconchman Member Posts: 1
    I live 5 miles down a dusty dirt road and the hole around the handle allows in so much dirt that it only works for about 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this happen and what was the solution?
  • dws2kdws2k Member Posts: 12
    When we start the truck, it sounds ok at first. It then makes a loud grinding noise fromm the engine for a few minutes and then it stops. What could make this noise?
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I just bought an 08 Premium XL7 2wd, 3rd row seats. 30k miles. Paid $15k. I really like this vehicle. Perfect for my family of 5. The engine has plenty of power and the trans is smooth. The interior panels are a little "plasticy" looking. The seats are kinda soft and will probably start showing wear later. But everything else is great. It's much better than paying $35k for a new SUV. This vehicle is a lot of bang for the buck. I'm very happy so far.
  • sagxelsagxel Member Posts: 1
    You can remove the back seat if you want, it will increase big space there but the carpet floor goes to the beguining of the seat and if you remove it you won't have carpet there, you will also have to remove the back of the seat and the plastic box that is on the back of the car.
  • tremirratremirra Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I have been having this problem at least 4 to 5 times this year. I am scared of this SUV now. I would begin to slow down to stop then I would hear the engine rev and the brake pedal would be hard to apply and the car wouldn't stop. One day I got to a stoplight and begin to stop. The car rev up and it sound like the car was getting ready to take off. I quickly put the car in park. I was very scared. I took my car in to check the brakes and rotors and was told nothing was wrong. I will be writing Suzuki about this problem because it sounds like the same problem Toyota is having. The bad thing is, I love my Toyota and Suzuki cars.
  • sally9505sally9505 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 XL-7 Grand Vantara. The stereo & CD Player is Suzuki by Clarion. None of the controls (buttons) work. One day they were fine and the next, nothing. I can play a CD and get it to eject, but nothing happens when I try any of the other buttons. Any help would be appreciated
  • dws2kdws2k Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    Where can I find the receiver drier on the XL? There is a sight glass but no drier under it. Would it be next to the condenser or up against the evaporator?
  • bigwilly10bigwilly10 Member Posts: 2
    Be sure the interior fan switch is in the off position or it could be your power steering belt needing adjustment.
This discussion has been closed.