Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    IMHO 99% of stock foglights on vehciles sold in the US, are for cosmetic purposes only. I've test driven a lot of vehicles @ night and the fog lights don't really make any difference at all. A good place for fog lights/driving lights is Ken @ Susquehana Motorsports http://catalog.com/susq/index.htm I have the Hella 4000s on my Trooper and for mountain driving they are excellent. I know several guys who have Hella 500s and 550s that are also excellent fog/driving lights.

-mike

• gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the prompt info and advice. I do not have dogs so I guess I'm not concerned about the space between the seats. I don't think I'll need the heated mirrors or the extra ten horsepower based on what I've read so far. I'll probably take the 0% financing and buy; however, just in case I decide to lease so I don't take the depreciation hit, what is this $249 lease about? What are the terms? Besides the floor mats, are there any other add-ons I should bargain for?
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    The lease is for the Plus model only. I think it has rear a/c and automatic but it is one step up from the base. However, after you add the AC and automatic the rest is window dressing since it comes pretty well equipped to start with. If you paid 19k (after taxes) for 60 months it would be about $316 vs the $249 lease and you would own it. They are all basically the same engine, automatic, PS/PW/PB, stereo, etc. Good Hunting.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    My wife and I bought our Plus 4x4 Auto with the lease deal. Basically it is a very low money factor (equal to .9% apr) that allows them to get the payments so low.
    A few tips and cautions. The lease deal is only available on an '01 Plus 4x4 Auto, ONLY. That might limit your selection, ours was the only one they had that was a 4x4.
    Sale price was $20,870. The term is for 48 months (not 36). The $1995 down does not include taxes, title and tags. On ours that added up to over $800 additional. It also did not include our dealers "processing fee" of $399. We ended up putting $2800 down ($1995+$800) and rolled the $399 proc fee into the loan. Our payments are actually $258 a month. If you rolled the taxes in there, it would easily be $280 +/-. After we signed the deal, they called back to say they had forgotten to add in the property tax! Here in VA we pay a pretty steep annual property tax, although it's being phased out. On our previous Toyota leases, they paid it every year and just sent us a bill. Apparently Primus (who handles the Suzuki leases) does it differently where you pay a bit of it every month and never see a total bill. Not sure how that might work in your area. It added $3 to the monthly payment, to come out at $258.
    Only 12k miles allowed each year (this is standard). Payoff at the end of the lease is only $9,995.
    We figured that we could lease for four years and just walk away at the end, or if we really love the vehicle, we can buy it for $9,995 and finance that for three more years and come out not paying a whole lot more in interest than purchasing from the beginning.
    The only thing I don't like about this deal is that lease term is longer than the warranty. That means if anything breaks during that fourth year, we have to fix it out of our pocket. I might consider buying the extended warranty right at the end of the factory one if I feel it might not make that fourth year trouble free.
    Sorry for the ramble, just wanted you to know some of the things to look out for.
    We love our Suzuki (my wife especially) and we hope to have four enjoyable years with it.
    Just finished packing for the trip to the beach and the spaces between the seats after you put them down really makes for a lot of extra storage. I put all kinds of things down there. however, they have to be soft, like dog coats and vests.
    My wife and I signed went to the Suzuki dealer yesterday to consummate the purchase. Six hours of waiting and signing and we finally headed home with two toddlers in our brand new Suzuki XL7 Touring. We were two third of the way on the 34 mile trip home when I noticed tapping sounds from the engine compartment. (I had mentioned to the dealer that I thought I heard slight intermittent tapping when we started the vehicle at the dealership. The dealer had brought out his service technician and the technician said this was normal for the first 500 miles of vehicle operation.) Wwll, after a few miles further, the tapping became loud and the engine coughed several times and shut off. I managed to coast the vehicle partially off the road. It would not restart. My wife and I sat in stunned silence for what seemed like ten minutes or so. I then called the dealer and reported what happened. The dealer took my cell number and said he would call back. I called my own AAA road service and was told it would take an hour to come. It was beginning to get dark and my toddlers were getting cranky. I decided to leave my wife and kids with the car and start off on the three mile trek home on foot (no taxis in this area) to pick up our other vehicle and return for my wife and children. By the time I got home, it was dark. Furstrated and tired, I got in my other vehicle and went back for my wife and children. By the time I got back to them, my wife told me a police cruiser and stopped and pushed them further off the road. The dealer had phoned on the cell and told her to have the vehicle towed back to them. I sent my wife and children home in our other car and I sat in the disabled Suzuki and waited for the tow vehicle. I had to call road service twice more and it took about one and a half hours for the truck to arrive. I called the dealer back because the road service would not tow the vehicle all the way to the selling dealer (35 miles). I arranged for it to be towed to a nearby dealership (name supplied by the selling dealer) and the dealer would send another tow vehicle to bring the Suzuki back to the seling dealer the next day. My wife came to pick me up later at the nearby dealer and I transferred all of my childrens belongings and all of our other papers, etc from the Suzuki to our car. The next morning I took off another day from work and tried to arrange to pick up our trade vehicle from the dealership. I got the selling dealer to agree to bring my trade back to my area on the same flatbed truck that they were sending to pick up the Suzuki. Needless to say, my wife won't even dream about getting into another Suzuki. We thank God that she was not alone with the children or in the middle of a high speed lane change when the vehicle stalled. The dealer salesperson and the new car sales manager were quite apologetic. I told them not to sweat it because they only sell the cars, they do not manufacture them. As I write this update, I am waiting for my trade vehicle to arrive locally so that I can look for another car for my wife and children. I pray that no one else has to experience what we went through and I pray for your continued success and safety with your vehicles, whatever make and model. God bless.
    Well there are problems sometimes in manufacturing. I wouldn't write off suzuki and I wouldn't let the dealership off the customer service hook so easily. (they should have ran out there and tried to help you on the spot!) Anyway you might want to look at the Isuzu Trooper S. Currently selling for around $20-$21K with 10/120 warranty and 3/50K bumper to bumper.

-mike
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Does anyone know what the rear leg room is listed at for the 5 passenger version of the 2002 XL-7? I was pretty disappointed with the space in the 7 passenger version. Is the legroom the same and they have just fixed the seats in place (instead of having them on fore & aft sliders)? Or did they move them back a bit since the 3rd row of seats isn't installed? Just curious. I had a '93 Sidekick for 7 years and loved it. Needed to move up to a vehicle with seat belts for at least 5 passengers plus more cargo room. (The Sidekick only had belts for 4 passengers.) I test drove the XL-7 when it came out and I liked it but the leg room in the rear seats was not very good. I may be in the market for another vehicle in the next year or so and the XL-7 could be on my list . . . unless the legroom stays the same, then it is a no go.
    What a dissapointing story, I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. I am most curious to hear what the problem was, although it sounds like you won't be dealing with that vehicle any more.
    Was it a total engine failure? Maybe they didn't have the fluids topped off properly? Maybe it was something simple, like a loose rotor cap (if they even have those) or some other minor "whoops"?
    We would like to hear if you know what went wrong.
    Our XL-7 generates a lot of brake dust. I was wondering if others do they same. Within a few days of washing it, the front wheels quickly develop a coating of brake dust, after two weeks they look awful!
    Has anyone else considered those plastic dust shields? Anyone have any experience with them?
    We just returned from the local dealer. We had to meet the flatbed truck driver who returned our trade. After waiting two hours, we finally met the driver from the selling dealership. The driver briefly tried to start the Suzuki but, with no success, he loaded it up on the flatbed and pulled away. I put the plates back on our trade and drove home. I did not see a puddle of oil or any indication of fluid leaks in the spot where the Suzuki sat and the driver did not venture a guess as to what could have gone wrong. I suppose I will hear from the dealer when they get the vehicle back and check it out. I had to call my insurance agent and reverse the auto insurance change over. What a hassle undoing these purchase deals! Fortunately they had not sold my trade, but it did already have the dealer buyer notice in the window and it had been placed on the lot of available used cars. I'll post info if and when I hear from the selling dealer about what went wrong. It is a shame we had this experience because, for the limited time I drove it, the Suzuki felt and drove like a tight, well-made vehicle. I think my family would have enjoyed it had it held up. Oh well, now we may never know. PAISAN, thanks for the tip on the Trooper. I think we'll go drive one and see what happens. God bless all.
    I'm a fan of the Zukis but I understand the turnoff of a bad deal. I drive an 00 Trooper so I'm pretty knowledgeable of them.

As for brake dust, the subaru guys wax their wheels, and this significantly reduces the brake dust. You don't want to use those sheilds cause they interfere with the ventilation of the rotors and can cause them to overheat.

-mike
  • doyou4x4doyou4x4 Member Posts: 3
    I leased a 2001 xl7 Plus back in June,
    Mine is the Burgendy Pearl, I was wondering if anyone had any off road experiences with the xl7 yet?? I also have a CRV and notice that the xl7 is very noisy (squeak and rattle) on dirt roads.
    Would this be due to the full frame vs the unibody and the suspension setup being different?
    Cheers,
    Mike
    The CRV is a jacked up Civic, the XL7 is a small Trooper. Basically you are correct that the body on frame will cause more noise. But the XL7 will bring you places the CRV wouldn't even think of going.

-mike
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    the 2002 shares nothing with the Civic. Engine, transmission and everything else. I considered the XL7 (the extra seats) but don't like the location of the gas tank , interior is cramped in any seat. New CRV 2.4 L probably accelerate faster than XL7 gets better gas milage. Resale vaule will probably double the Suzuki.
    FWD based car based. Might as well get an AWD mini-van instead. Also didn't realize that the CRV was going to the drag strip for 1/4 mile times. :)

Gas tank placement? What is bad about it?

-mike
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    its sandwiched right between the rear bumper and axle. No room to spare. Likely to get crushed in a rear ender.
    Same on my trooper. Except it's probably like my trooper in that it is between the frame rails, which unlike a unibody car do not give when hit. I think there are stats on rear mounted tanks, and they are no more likely to catch on fire after a hit (heck gas tanks in general are not likely to catch on fire in a hit)

Key is that the rear end isn't a crumple zone (the front of the other guy's car is your crumple zone) :)

-mike
    Thanks for the follow up, again, so sorry to hear about your troubles, buying a new car should be fun!
    I second Paisans suggestion about the Trooper, for about the same price as the Suzuki, you can look at an S Auto 4x4. Many dealers still have '01s on the lot. It was our first choice, but we just couldn't get the payments anywhere near the Suzuki lease. The gas mileage was the only turn off, otherwise an awesome vehicle (especially for the price).
    Paisan, I too thought maybe those dust shields may cause excessive heat build up. I'll try waxing them, but what a mess.
    CRV? I can't wait to meet one at a stop light, even the new '02. In an informal stop light drag race the other day, the XL-7 blew away a Ford F-150 (I know, so what) and a Honda Accord (4 cyl) that was squealing his wheels all the way across the intersection. As I watched them fade away in the rear view mirror, I thought, wow, this little buggy moves when you need it to.
    We considered the CRV until we drove one. It was Honda tight, but slow, whiney, and buzzy at highway speeds. The XL-7 is a whole different class of vehicle.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Anyone care to share their experience with the leather? Is it holding up well?

Thanks.
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    5greyhouds& any others with rain guards on their vehicles!

I received my Mcneil Weather flectors (front and rear)xl-7 several weeks back. The installation went great. A very tight fit, nice looking, it really adds to the appearance,also protects from rain and weather. Please note: The Mcneil flectors install inside the window channel, no adhesive applied; A rather simple application, aprox 20 minute install.

QUESTION? Does anyone experience a lot of "Wind Noise? Does anyone have the Suzuki factory reflectors, any wind noise? Any with the adhesive installation?

I took a trip this weekend, 6 hours round trip. The "Wind Noise was very annoying, even with the CD up high. Very noticable at speeds 45mph and up.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Thanks
    Leather: my XL-7 Limited has just about 7k on it and the first 5k were put on by the owners wife who also was the sales person I purchased it from. So far so good. I took a hard look at all the stitching and it all seems ok. However, when I get out of the truck I lift my butt off the seat and then get out. I do not turn on the seat and then slide out. Less wear on the leather ridges around the seat. That is just the way I am.
    As to the weather Flectors: you are 100% correct. They make a little more noise than I would like. I purchased them for my 99 Windstar and the noise level is also a little high. I had a 95 Windstar with the same things but I purchased them from the Ford dealer and they also slid inside the window. They made less noise. However, I still like them. I really do not like the ones that tape on the outside. They give the car a very unfinished look. I took a 4 hour trip back from the beach this weekend and ended up closing the windows and used the air vents. I do not think they are far enough away from the vehicle. The ones on my 95 seemed to be a little longer and a little further away from the window frame, if you know what I mean?
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    5 greyhounds!

Thanks for the feed back reguarding the Weather Flectors. I e'mailed Mcneil for their suggestions. I'm sort of leaning on taking them off,I enjoy the quiet ride.

Also, by chance do you know if the rear ac vents can be utilized to distribute heat to the rear section.

My touring model is around 13,800 now. Its still running fine. The tires are starting to wear and has a slight hint of road noise. Otherwise, it seems to be holding up fine.
    Just in case you guys were wondering about rear-tank vehicles, here is a trooper '92 rear ended by a brand new lexus.

-mike
    Let me know what they say. I want to be able to have the window open in the winter or during the rain and I do not make real long trips in mine so it is not really a big issue for me. However, I am still interested in the answer. Good question about the heat. I will have to give it a try but I would think with hot air coming out of the vents the rear would get warm.
    http://www.anltd.com/wreck/

Forgot to add it in my above post.

-mike

The rear roof vents only carry cold A/C or fresh air. There are however little plastic vents under the middle seats for the rear heat. If you look under there, you'll see them just barely sticking up above the floor. Be careful your rear mats don't cover these up.
    I guess it makes sense, since hot air rises, to have those vents on the floor and the A/C on the roof.
    I was curious about those MacNeil vent shields. How do they fit inside the window slot without messing up the windows when they close?
    I have the stick on type on my Tacoma and they don't look too stuck on. I like having the darker color, as opposed to the clear, because they can act like sun visors if the sun is low on your side. There is some wind noise with them, but not bad.
    Has anyone seen or tried the typical stick on type on the XL-7?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That trooper3 may be a wreck, but it has real rebuild possibilities :-).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    Cleaning my touring XL-7 on the weekend (one of those rare rain-free Vancouver days!) and took the hard cover off the rear mounted spare tire. Noticed the wheel rim is not the same as the alloy wheels fitted on the touring version, but a standard spoke rim. Initial thought was my spare rim should match the rims on the "main" wheels. Am I wrong with this? Just wondered if others have checked their spare rim to see what they have? Comments welcomed, please.
    Well, the word back from the dealer was that my brand new Suzuki XL7 suffered engine failure. No details were given but I was told the vehicle is sitting waiting for a replacement engine. Thanks to paisan's advice, I am close to a deal on a 2001 Trooper S. Thanks all for your input. God bless all.
    That Trooper is actually fixable, it wasn't totalled and it's a '92 so I figured it would be totalled. Just some cosmetic stuff.
    (Quarters, bumper, rear doors and some interior panels.)

-mike
    "trooper3.jpg" is the one up on blocks :-)

Steve
    Host

Well, our editors didn't rate it too highly in our 2001 Mini SUV Comparison Test, but that was before the recent incentives were put in place. Check out the link in the Additional Resources box in the left sidebar.

Steve
    Host

Yep, a lot of magazines rate cars based on the MSRP, rather than the actual selling price. For instance the Trooper gets poor ratings cause they compare it to $30->$40K SUVs. Meanwhile I don't know anyone who has paid more than $28K for a fully loaded (with leather) one. Same goes for the top end subarus, and I'm sure the Suzukis have the same problem that their acutal selling price is a lot less than the MSRP but they are compared to higher priced vehicles.

-mike
    I just received my clearmask in the mail yesterday. I ordered two items: hood and fenders for a 99 Windstar and a small bulk piece. A man ran a red light a few weeks ago and totaled my 95 Windstar so I replaced it with a used one with less than 20K. It is an SE so it is a move up. I am going to put the clearmask on and see how it works. It will actually go under a full bra to act as a barrier to protect the paint from rain and dirt. I made a mistake with my 95 and ordered only a hood protector and the bumper took a lot of hits from parking, etc.
    I will use the small bulk piece for two things. The first will be to cover the hood and fenders of my XL-7. I already have a full bra for it so again it will act as a sealer to keep dirt, etc off the metal parts. The rest is plastic so I am not worried about rust, etc. I will also use a piece of the bulk to cover the back bumper of the Windstar. The rear bumpers take as muchif not more hits than the fronts do. I will do this over the weekend and will give a report.
    Thanks for the report back about what happened to your XL-7. Again, sorry to hear about your troubles.
    Yours is the second blown engine I have read about in the XL-7's. Anyone have any theories? Maybe it was just an assembly fluke? Maybe an indication of an engine design flaw?
    I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of this engine. Ours sounds great when it running, but when you start it up cold, it makes a bit of a rattling sound for just a second or two until, I guess, the oil gets up to the valves and lifters. Anyone else hearing that?
    I hope maybe these are isolated occurances.
    Enjoy your Trooper, I'm sure you'll love it!
    I just got done reading the mini suv comparison. To say the least, the XL-7 didn't do too good. I agree with most of the comments, but think they were a bit harsh on a few items.
    I guess I haven't driven the other V-6's, only the CRV and the RAV4, but I think the engine is plenty peppy and goes as fast as I would expect a vehicle like this to move. We love the automatic and think it shifts very nicely, they thought it was too abrupt.
    I fully agree about the quality of the interior materials being sub-par, but we like the seats and find the third row very usable, but I have to admit we don't use it on a regular basis.
    They seemed really bugged by the running board ruining the off road capabilities, but most don't have them, so I felt that was a bit unfair to the non-limiteds. (Do the Tourings have them?)
    I think a lot of people, Edmunds included, have preconceived notions about what Suzuki's are like and don't give them a fair shake.
    Also, as Paisan noted, they don't sell for anywhere near what they sticker for, so if you looked at real purchase prices, that might soften the criticism a bit.
    I can't believe they thought the RAV4 was as nice as it was. I guess if you want a tall car, it is nice, but it's awfully small as an SUV and very pricey.
    Oh well, we're only leasing, so we'll just enjoy it for the next four years and not worry about the negative comments.
  • tbrown_4tbrown_4 Member Posts: 27
    Are you sure you want to go for a Trooper? You'll be going from your good rated XL7 to a marginal (just barely above poor) rated truck.

HTTP://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/ce/html/00029.htm

HTTP://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/ce/html/0116.htm

Don't even start that arguement...

No rollovers, and no in-cab intrusions. I know at least 2 people who have T-boned or headoned heavy caddy/town-car vehicles @ 40-50mph it totalled the cars, but they were un-harmed.

-mike
    I guess each to their own. While I agree with most of what is said the XL-7 fit my needs more than the others did. I needed space for two greyhounds and myself. The others were just too small for the dogs to be comfortable. I wanted something that was larger than an escape or RAV-4 but smaller than an explorer. The XL-7 hit the spot. We have the limited and got it for $22,800, including transportation. That is about 4k less than sticker. I wanted the moon roof so it was either the limited or touring. I got a demo limited for the price of a new touring. Ford dealers were talking some discounts on Escapes with no moon roof but try for a roof and it was 100% sticker. At 7k mine is still doing really well so I guess it is what you like or need. We just took a trip to the beach with the dogs and it really well. No complaints from me and many people liked it.
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    I agree with 5greyhounds regarding the review. Such tests are extremely subjective and fail to account for individual buyer decisions. My choice on an XL-7 was done after significant research and comparisons of most of the other mini-SUVs tested. I wanted plenty of interior room, creature comforts available in other models, without breaking the bank. The Suzuki has delivered on all of these. I am somewhat amused by the high ratings given to the Ford Escape given that it has a history of quality control issues, poor design features, may be limited in its true winter weather ability, and is pricey when compared to the XL-7. Would also be wise for comparisons to be based on research - the running boards are only fitted on the Limited edition and do hamper road clearance. But they also hamper road clearance on any 4WD or AWD vehicle (i.e. minivans) that is entering conditions such as snow, mud, sand or even road curbs. Marking it poorly for having them on the vehicle is like choosing to install a cassette player rather than a CD then complaining about the sound quality! Also, what is it with reviewers and centre console storage space? How many CDs, maps and other books do we need to keep in a car? Managed to store an adequate number of CDs, maps, tour books and other bits and pieces in the vehicle for a major two-week road trip with four adults, one child and two dogs with no problem. Try doing that in an Escape or RAV-4! Interesting tests but not sure I share the enthusiasm or numero uno ranking for the Escape based on your own reviewers' comments.
    Clay11 has some very good points. I was thinking about the running boards and how the XL-7 is the exact same truck with or without the leather, moon roof, and boards. The reviewers spent so much time about the running boards they seemed to forget that very few of us ever take these things off road where they would get in the way. I NEED 4WD for the events we do with our Greyhound adoption group since many of them are outside and we end up parking in open fields that are both hilly and after a rain good and slippery. It has already help me one time. If I ever end up where the boards get in the way then I most likely do not belong there in the first place.
    As to the switch gear. Yes, knobs are nice but the buttons and levers do just as good a job. I am sure in the next redesign they will be replaced. However, from what I have read the next XL-7 will not be a truck, but a crossover like the Escape.
    I have been a Ford buyer for years. However, one of the first things Jack Nasser did when he took over as Ford CEO was to fire 800 engineers and it is now showing in the product. My 95 Windstar was totaled a few weeks ago and I replace it with a 99 Windstar. This is a Pre-Nasser product. I would not get a new Ford due to all the problems they have had with recalls due to poor development and design. This is a direct reflection of Mr. Nasser’s desire for profit. I will need a new vehicle in a few years to replace my wife’s Probe (94 with 114K) and if Ford has shown me they have gotten back on track I will look at them again. However, if my XL-7 holds up well (and as of now I see no reason why it would not) I will look at the Suzuki brand first.
    I love how automotive reviews have such double standards. Like how they rip on the XL7 that has optional running boards and how they hinder off-road performance, yet they praise the MDX which has both running boards, no low range and is basically a awd (to 20mph) mini-van. Underdogs Unite!:)

-mike
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The MDX has no running boards. Side steps or running boards are dealer-installed accessories. ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I have just finished looking through the NOV 01 Motor Trend and they are doing a long term test of the XL-7. With the exception of the uselessness of the third row seat and that there is not a flat floor they like it. I will quote “Our test truck certainly speaks well to any fears about the brands reliability; its 7500 mile service cost just over 50 bucks and there’s been nary a mechanical issue to report on”. Motor Trend uses there long term cars and trucks in the same way regular people would, not trying to kill it and taking where even most off road personnel would not go. They like the engine and there is not a word about cheap plastic or no rotary dials, etc. So much for Edmund’s test.
    On any Acura or Honda, all options are DIOs there are no PIOs.

-mike
  • emcnieceemcniece Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 XL-7, 5 apeed, with 8,000 miles on it. I love the space for four children, or two children and two dogs. So far no problems, although removed the luggage rails due to wind noise and will just install when using them. Took a long trip to Oklahoma, from San Antonio, with a load on the roof and also a load in the back, with a rack that installed in my trailer hitch and allowed me to carry 500 lbs. outside the vehicle in back (purchased from U-Haul). I do find that the sun visors are too small for this short woman in the Texas heat! And when you turn them to the door, they don't fit there very well, or do a good job of blocking the sun. Does anyone know of an add-on or of a company that markets sun visors that are bigger and with pull-out extenders? Oh - I paid $20,900 for the pllus model, with 5 speed, and a 100,000 mile warranty and no trade in. Hope to get over 200,000 miles on this vehicle like I have on my last two Mazdas.
    Let me tell you, that clearmask is a real bear. If there is a sharp contour on the hood of the car it is almost impossible to get it to set properly. After an hour of trying on my Windstar I gave up and pulled it off. It has a water activated adhesive on it and if any water pockets get stuck in an area where the adhesive has taken hold they are not coming out, you have to pull it off and if it has dried it will stretch the mask and become useless. I learned that the hard way. However, I think I can use the bulk piece I purchased on the XL-7 hood and front fenders. I will give it a try on Monday. If you purchase it make sure you keep it really wet.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I assume you're referring to the 3M Scotchcal invisible bra material? According to many people who have tried it, they recommend taking it to a professional to do it because of the difficulties involved in doing a really good job.

Good luck with your project! :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I am going to give the company a call and see if they will cut me some slack on a reorder. I think I know what I did that was wrong and will give it a try on my XL-7 Monday. This is more to protect the paint with a regular bra on it so I do not have to take it off every time I wash the car. Also, I need to get some touch up paint for the van. It is used, in really good shape, but it has a few hits on the hood that need to be touched up prior to putting the bra on. The reason for the full bra is the front of my 95 was pitted and had lots of little dings it it from parking, etc. This will protect it from that. I also think I know of a way to install it that will that will work for me.
This discussion has been closed.