Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I would just love to get a hold of the person who placed that filter where it is. It was a mess but got it done. I now sacrifice an old bath towel by placing it under the filter so most of the oil goes into it and not on the ground.
  • imadad1stimadad1st Member Posts: 18
    5greyhounds-
    I feel your pain. Just did the same thing this Saturday on mine. Since I also take the opportunity to rotate the tires at the same time, I put mine up on jackstands on all 4 corners before I start. Perhaps you've already noted that having the drivers front wheel off during the change gives just a little more room to move around under there while playing contortionist. I might just take it to the dealer the next time and see if they are serious about charging 6$ if I supply the filter and oil. I'm with you though, this is the only flaw I've found so far (and I'm sure other competitors are no better).

On another note, I thought I'd give an update on my recent mileage. For the past two weeks, I've gotten 24.97 and 24.13 mpg! That puts it just a little lower than my old Sidekick, and not nearly the disappointment I was expecting by moving UP (size, class, power, etc.)!

I didn't see anyone mention the Consumer Reports review of the XL-7. Can you believe they rated the XL-7 with the likes of the CRV. First of all, the Grand Vitara is more in that class of vehicle, and I wish they'd get more than a bunch of BMW/Mercedes driving reviewers to do truck reviews. If it weren't for the fact that they seem to provide at least some value in reviewing other types of products, I'd just give up on them altogether. I understand that these types of reviews are almost entirely subjective, but you'd think they could avoid sounding so biased that you wonder if they took lessons from Olympic skating judges!
    Now I know why I really am happy with the V6. Even though I purchased my XL-7 in July of last year it was a cool summer in DC and even when it was hot I would drive the Van or the Probe. Now that the Probe is gone we are back to 3 cars (poor us). I drove the truck today and it was even hot enough for me to turn on the AC. As much as I like leather 90 degrees and leather do not mix. I think we hit a record today, about 90. Anyway, at 70 on the DC beltway (I know, to fast but it either that or get run over) you could not tell when the compressor came on. I would hate to be in a little old I4 and try to do that trick. I know the Toyota and Honda have nice engines but they can not stand up to a V6.
    Speaking of oil filters I did an oil change on the Maxima over the weekend also (first one) and I looked and looked and looked and could not find that sucker. Then I got out from under it and there it was, on the top of the engine, in the rear of the engine compartment. What a joy. No burnt hands, not cuts trying to get around the tie rods, just reach in with the wrench and twist. Someone from Suzuki needs to talk with them.
  • jamthompjamthomp Member Posts: 16
    What is the minimum rating of jackstand that you should use with the xl-7 if you want to lift it up to rotate the tires? (2,4,6 ton?)

Also for those that rotate their own tires, do you use or torque wrench or the white nuckles approach?

James
  • imadad1stimadad1st Member Posts: 18
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure mine are rated for 2 tons. Of course, you can't go wrong by going higher, but they get more expensive (how much I don't know, I've had my set for years). At the very least, logic would suggest that they should be at least rated for the weight of the vehicle (around 3800 lbs. I seem to recall).

I use a (cheap) torque wrench. I just feel better about doing that, and giving myself piece of mind that the hubs were torqued evenly, minimizing the chance of warping. I also seem to recall someone telling me that it was possible to damage cast aluminum wheels by over-torquing them, but I don't know if that's just an old wives tale.

I rotate my tires every 5K, since I've noticed that the fronts feather slightly in that amount of time. My friend that also has a 2001, hasn't rotated in 15K, and his fronts are quite a mess.
    The Greyhounds and I are headed to the dog show in Leesburg VA this Saturday. A little rain, muddy roads, slippery grass hills and roads, just the reason I got my XL-7. Last year in the fall show it was the same. Love that 4WD.
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    How do I shut off the daytime running lights. Kind of annoying if I can just pull a fuse or something would be nice.
    Cheers,
    Frankk
  • tmdaman1tmdaman1 Member Posts: 9
    Check this out!!! We were leaving our garden center (Winesett for you Hampton Roads folks) when a Ford Escape owner came over to us and asked about our XL-7. She asked what truck we had, how long has it been out, etc...... She really liked our XL-7.

We both were very proud of our new truck!!!
    If you go back about a month you may find your answer. There was a long discussion on this.
  • tdhenderson1tdhenderson1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. My wife and I are happy owners of a 2000 Grand Vitara (4wd JLX+ with 29,750 mi), but with the birth of our daughter, we are in search of more room. I am 6'2", and she is 5'10". We took a day trip this weekend, baby and wife in back, me and mom-in-law in the front. Wife sat behind me and of course I was very cramped. Didn't make for a fun drive (she was pretty cramped in the back seat too).

Anyway, for those that have tried or owned both, how much more leg room in the 2nd row is there now as opposed to the GV. I doubt we will ever use the 3rd row of seats and would keep them folded down for storage.

Also, any ideas why they stopped using the CD changer that the GV has? Going back to a single CD will be a slight step back, in my opinion.

One last question. Do any of you see an advantage for me trading the GV in before it hits 30,000 mi as opposed to waiting a little while and putting a grand or two more on it?
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    I did my first oil change Saturday, and now fully understand the complaints regarding the location of the oil filter. After loosening the filter with a wrench from underneath the truck, I found it much easier to spin the filter off from above. However, once off, there simply isn't enough clearance to take the filter out from above which requires that you lay the filter down on the frame and go back underneath the truck. But, there also doesn't seem to be any easy place to remove the filter from underneath. I found that I had to slide the filter along the sway bar to the passenger side of the engine in order to reach an opening wide enough to remove the filter. By the time I finally got the filter out, all the oil in the filter had poured onto the truck frame and ground. Has anyone found an easier way to change that filter (other than having someone else do it for them)? I replaced the filter with a Purolator filter which was the same size as the original. However, Fram's version of the XL-7 oil filter seems a bit smaller. Has anyone tried the Fram filter? Is it smaller and, if so, does that give you the little extra clearance needed to make this job easier?

Thanks
    Should a guy take a new XL7 and from the first oil change on use synthetic oil. I believe not only with synthetic make the engine last longer, but can it make the mpg better?
    Cheers,
    Frankk
    Paride: I tried a Fram last weekend and I think it is to short. It did not seem to want to "soft dock" with the block. By this I mean when the filter and block meet there is usually about a 3/4 turn left when you snug it up and tighten it. This did not happen. It just went so far and stopped. I took it off. I had an original Suzuki filter as a standby just in case I had problems and it worked just fine.

Frankno1: Synthetic oil is what I have run since I bought mine. I just turned 10k last week so I did my oil change. I use Mobil 1, 5-30. I have used synthetic in all my cars and it works just fine. Also, since the oil change in the Suzuki is such a pain I am able to go 5k between changes. Some people try to tell me 10k is fine but I have always done a new filter and oil every 5k and have never had an oil related problem. I do not know about increased MPG since I have only run synthetic but from what I have read there is a slight increase in MPG due to the better lubrication properties of synthetic. While I have been tempted to change I have always stayed with Mobil 1.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I've heard lots of bad things about Fram filters, generally they are the lowest quality. I generally stick to Mobil 1 or Purilator filters.

-mike
    Thanks guys for the info.

5Greyhounds - It must have really ticked you off to get the Fram filter on the XL-7, only to have to take it off and replace it with the Suzuki filter. Nothing like getting under the truck a couple of extra times.

Paisan - I used to use Fram filters, but it always concerned me that they were smaller then the original equipment filters, while in general, the Purolator and Mobil filters were sized correctly. Then a few years ago, I had put a new Fram oil filter on My Mazda MPV and discovered it had a pin hole in the case. I've stayed away from Fram ever since.
    Funny, I usually use Purilator but there was a special on Frams so I bought one. That is why I had the Suzuki filter as a backup. I was going to use it and then tried the Fram. Back to Purilator and I think I will stay with OEM for the Suzuki.
    As noted above, I've been staying away from Fram for several years. However, if the smaller sized Fram filter would have made changing the oil filter on the XL-7 a little easier, I would have considered it. Thanks for your input - I now know not to go that route.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I too have heard bad things about Fram. That they basically sold there name to some cheapo oil filter company and now their filters are very poorly made. Not the better quality they used to be. I just let the dealer do ours for $20. Getting rid of the old oil is a hassle and after hearing you all complain about the process, I'd rather not bother.

tmdaman1- we live in Va Beach and frequent Winesett too. Although usually in my Tacoma, would hate to get the back end of the XL-7 all dirty with plants. We are seeing more and more XL-7's around here, but still rare enough to notice one when we see it.

Summer beach weather is coming up, time to go down to Hatteras!
    Yeah, I know what you mean about getting the back dirty....BUT when were shopping for an SUV, we wanted something that could also haul more stuff, i.e. plants, bags of mulch. So, when we opened the back to load the plants, we were like, "This truck is too nice to mess up BUT that's why we bought it!" So, we grabbed a few extra plastic liners and hoped for the best!!!

I can't wait to drive to the mountains....
    Have fun in Hatteras!!
    We bought ours more as a weekend traveler for my wife, myself and a few of the greyhounds. We have a Windstar for all the "hauling of things" like mulch, plants, etc. I agree, it is to nice to mess up.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    From another board, just looking for a few answers for a non-net friend. I quickly scanned most of the posts, copied some of the info he'll need, but can't seem to find anything on

#1 a manual transmission.. likes/dislikes feedback. (Does anyone drive one) It seems to be a hard vehicle to get + strange configurations/packages in Canada if you want a MT.

.. to get a manual, he had to order the base model (no fogs, no 3rd row seat)

#2 Has anyone added fogs to a non equiped XL-7.. would some piaa's fit ? (something like the 520's)

#3 no 3rd seat, so it seems tha cargo floor is lower than the seatbacks when folded flat. Anyone make a shelving/storage unit for the rear ? It would help creating a flat floor, and create storage at the same time

#4 any aftermarket guards available for the front... just for lights. something like the Westin Safari bar??

Thanks for whatever answers you can provide. If my bud ever gets connected, I'll point him here, I always found the info at Edmund's useful.. even when I bought my Xterra.
    With the gaps between the second and third row seats I made a folding piece of ply wood that can be folded with the second seat up and then unfolded to cover the entire back of the truck from the back of the front seat to the back of the truck. This also covered the gap between the front seat the folded second row seats. To make the floor level I put two bricks under the plywood at the back of the truck and it made the floor flat.
  • azpcdude39azpcdude39 Member Posts: 3
    I went to look at the XL-7 this past weekend. I am very dissapointed, I really wanted this vehicle to work out for myself and my family, but it's way TOO small inside! I thought it would be bigger, the picture that they portray, they make it look a lot bigger. I'm sure I could fit in it since I am not a very big person, only 5' 8" and my wife is 5' 3", were both very thin, but it's just too small. It's too bad, I really like the look of it. Oh well, I'm off to look at other SUV's. I'm now researching the Sequoia and the Envoy XL. They both seat 7 adults. Anyone out there have this same experience?
    Regarding your questions on the manual transmission, last summer I test drove a 2001 5 speed for a few hours. I have no complaints on the operation of the transmission, clutch, etc. However, I did not care for the location of the shift lever. It seemed to be mounted low and required a little stretching to reach. I ended up getting a 2002 Touring with automatic. I didn't see too many 2002s with the 5 speed transmission when we were looking to purchase. The opposite seemed true with the 2001 model (plenty of 5 speeds, few automatics).
    I have just over 10k and I guess my best MPG will be about 22. I just finished 293 miles of normal driving: some highway, some city, some local shopping, etc and when I filled her up she took 13.7 gallons which comes out as 21.3 MPG. I really did not top her off so it looks like 300 miles per tank with a little left over for safety. Mine is a Limited, thus automatic.
    My bud managed to find one, seems his dealer wasn't 100% on his game, but delivery should be May 3rd. Its just rough playing with something sight unseen. It shouldn't take us long to start breaking down the vehicle and adding a bunch of goodies. We just can't leave any vehicle well enough alone. Have fun guys & gals.
    Hello,

I am very interested in having an alarm installed in my XL-7. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
    T
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    I had a Viper alarm installed in my Suzuki Vitara 2 years ago. Seems to work well. Viper makes several models and I believe they are rated well. I think Suzuki offers an alarm option.
    Which Viper model did you get? What kind of features?

Thanks,
    T
    Got a question and I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic but why put an alarm on? They go off all the time and no one pays attention, at least down here. I hear one go off and I just ignore it and so do 99.9% of others. You may have a specific situation where an alarm is useful but mostly they just make noise.
    Greyhounds, have to agree with you. Here in NYC the same thing is the case, I have one but only cause it was included std with my car and the keyless entry is part of it. I'd get a cut switch installed if I wanted protection.

-mike
    Paisan, headed your way in the morning. Have to go to Ft. Hamilton for a few days. It is located under the Brooklyn bridge.
    Cool, Ft. Hamilton is actually under the Verezzano Bridge. I live in Staten Island go over to Brooklyn sometimes. What's happening there?

-mike
    The noise an alarm makes is only a minimal benefit.. most of them, better ones, like Viper, include an ignition kill, various cut offs, and you can add various features, like carjack protection.
    Although most people ignore them, they make your neighbours look and key yourself in. Most of the people I know (including myself) had their vehicle stolen from their own driveway. Plus most insurance will cut your rate, so it almost pays for itself in 2-3 years.
    The Viper alarm I had installed in my Suzuki Vitara was the Model 300 ESP which I believe is the mid grade model. After installing the alarm, my auto insurance was reduced by 5%. The options I have on the alarm include starter interrupt. I never had my alarm go off inadvertently but do agree I hear others go off on occasion. Since I have the 2dr Vitara, the Viper includes remote entry (which in the case of the Viper is very good remote operation at great distances, especially compared to my Jeeps remote)and door auto lock after engine start. The Viper has an extremely loud alarm, not just the horn going off. I would say if the alarm were to go off, people, even though they are used to alarms going off (and ignoring) would look to see what's going on. I guess the 2 major benefits are car insurance reduction and starter disconnect.
    I thought the ignition cutoff was a good idea until the alarm I had in my Mazda failed, which resulted in my not being able to start the van. I've had two aftermarket alarms in that vehicle (I don't remember the manufacturers), both of which gave me problems. Based on my experience, I'll take my chances without an alarm.
    I agree,if I had 2 incidents where I could not start my vehicle because of the alarm, I would be hesitant about installing one. I would venture to say that is not commonplace? Your experience may be in part due to the quality of the alarm?
    Viper alarms usually include a bypass, basically using a combination of the valet switch and key in the ignition... at least it allows you to start the vehicle if the system fails.
    Viper alarms will also work "with" most stock vehicle alarms... i.e. most stock alarms work only on entry (open door), Viper will allow you to piggy back features like ign. kill/ shock etc.
    *** no.. I don't work for Viper.. hope you guys don't mind me butting in.
    Thanks for adding the info. I don't work for Viper either. My concern and why I added the Viper to my Suzuki was the softop and ease of enty into the vehicle. I'm no expert either on the subject but reading posts on other boards, Viper appears to be a better quality system. So far in my experience with the Viper alarm I have, I would recommend this product for those who ask. I understand Viper alarms are more expensive ( I paid $160.00 + installation) and only dealers can install, I assume in part to make sure they are installed correctly and to assure the warranty...yes, you pay for it. Does anyone have the Suzuki option alarm installed and if so, what are your experiences?
    One of the reasons for the dealer install is for the certificate.. which in turn is forwarded to the insurance for the discount. This usually applies to any quality alarm.
    You should verify with your insurance first, not all insurance co. give discounts for all brands of alarms.
    My company just asked me, never had to verify it at all. It didn't save me much though, even though it was the "passive" one where you didn't have to arm it each time.

I've actually heard through my dad who is a prof part time @ a prison that the more well known brands are more-easily bypassed due to the theif having seen it before. No-name and "cut-switches" are the best according to a guy who was in for grand-theft auto.

Of course if they really want it he said they come with a flatbed and then your car is bye-bye...

-mike
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    Interesting, the same discussion is going on over in the XL-7 group at Yahoo (you should check that forum out some time. Here is what I posted there,

Syndicated auto guys "Click and Clack" had a good article on the
    worthlessness of alarms. They basically said that we all hear so
    many alarms now that no one pays any attention to them. Even if you
    do, are you going to confront a possibly armed criminal for the sake
    of some metal and plastic?

They suggested that was what insurance is for, that alarms only serve
    to annoy your neighbors at 5 in the morning when the paper boy hits it
    with the newspaper.

I would think due to small sales of the XL-7, it's about the last car
    a serious thief would steal (that's why Civics and Accords are the
    most stolen.)

My 2cents
  • jgh2jgh2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting an XL-7 and find this board very informative. The only exterior feature that is holding me back thus far is its relatively low ground clearance of 7.5 in, which is at least 1-2 in lower than other mid-sized SUV's, eg., 4Runner (9.7 in). It certainly makes the ride smoother but could be a limitation off road. A friend also points out that a higher clearance should make the vehicle look more like a true truck rather than a van. Does any one know if they can install a "spacer" or perhaps 17-in wheels to lift it up a bit?

In the same line of thought, does anyone know when the 2003 models will come out? And what changes (likely minor) will they introduce, like optional 17-in wheel, a couple of more colors, or probably a running board (on Limited)that does NOT further lower the ground clearance?

I'll be willing to wait for any/all of the above features. However, if none of them is coming out, I may still go ahead and buy one---albeit much sooner. Thanks for helping me out.

Jerry
    Regarding what tisteve posted above: not only are vehicles stolen (maybe not the XL-7) but what property is IN the vehicle. Yes, Click & Clack does produce a funny news column but not much technical substance. Insurance companies must think alarms are of some value if they (in somes cases) give discounts. But enough of this...like any other subject, many people have many opinions.
    If you want more road clearance why don't you add one size bigger tires.
    Cheers,
    Frankk
    Ok, who has the most miles and what problems have you had, if any? Just trying to get a feel for the higher mileage trucks. I just turned 10K and it is still solid as a rock.
  • brucel1brucel1 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 01 Touring model and have noticed some vibration in my steering wheel at high speeds. Yesterday I had someone wiggle the steering wheel while the vehicle was parked and I checked underneath for noises. I was especially suspicous of the steering joints; however, I discovered a clicking noise at the rack and pinion. My speedometer also reads too fast. It reads about 75 mph when I'm only doing about 65 mph. I have an appt. with the dealer in two weeks. Anyone else have these problems? Thanks.
    Not I. How many miles?
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    XL7.. REPORTS OVER 20,000 + MILES. REVIEW PREVIOUS
    POSTINGS.

Also to all owners! Don't think of the worst when experiencing anything unusual about your vehicle; thats unless it is obvious.

Example: After using my 4 low gear in a very small snow here in Va. I experienced a road noise that was absolutely unbearable. The ride was rough,the steering was bad. I felt that I definately had made a bad selection.

Sometimes we hear sounds that are not related to our problems. In above example, I felt the worst riding vehicle ever. I heard the worst road noise ever. I felt the steering vibrate. I even noticed my vehicle not tracking correct.

However: It was a very small problem...tire wear, front inside.

Needless-to-say: I don't have a Suzuki beltbuckle or Tatto but I absolutely love my little truck.
  • scully62scully62 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I drive a 2001 Touring with 11'500 miles.Approximately two weeks ago I noticed that I needed a front end alinement because the truck was pulling to the left. I also had vibration in the steering wheel but I thought it was because of the alinement.After the alinement was completed I noticed that the steering wheel would vibrate at 55-65.I have an appt. to see the dealer next week. I will keep you updated.
    Linda
This discussion has been closed.