Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    I notice the hum as well (seems to get louder over time ~ 64K miles to date), almost exactly as Cliffy describes above. Does anyone know whether this issue is specific to the Sequoia or does it apply to others such as the Land Cruiser, Tundra V8 and 4Runner V8? I am in the market for a used Land Cruiser, but I definitely do not want to inherit the same issue.
  • watchdog3watchdog3 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 1991 LandCruiser and am finally getting a new car. I am getting the Sequoia b/c the new LandCruisers are too expensive and too small for us now. Are you dumping the Sequoia because you are disatisfied? Clearly the Landcuiser is higher quality but costs outweigh the bennies.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Its actually rare in the Sequoia but a bit more common in the Tundra. I've never heard of it in the Runners and certainly not the Cruisers. It only happens on the 4WD models.
    Ok the $64K question. Of those of you who own a Sequoia what would you do?

Buy a 2002 Limited with 42,000 miles and CERTIFIED for $32,000 OR buy a New 2004 SR5 with most everything except alloy package($1300) and leather($2012) or invoice at $34,600.

I am leaning toward New and then I will buy my own alloy wheels and put on Nerf bars.
  • mr21mr21 Member Posts: 15
    I am assuming you are talking about a 4x4? I just purchased a 2004 SR5 (4x2)with the alloy #2 package and the premium package (leather) for $34,000.
    If you are happy with the SR5, IMO I would go with that because you will have the piece of mind that it will be treated well and maintained from the start.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    One big reason for buying a Toyota is reliability. So a car with 42K miles on it is just broken in. You still have 18K left on the powertrain warrenty. However there is nothing like owning a new car, knowing everything is taken care of according to your standards. the price of used seq are very high and approach the new models. I keep my cars until they drop, I would buy new. If you trade in after a few years go with the used. I have a '01 limited and would buy another in a second, I have had no problems.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    This is a no brainer. Why would you buy a used one for only a couple thou less than a new one?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You don't mention if you had the same experience, hot day, towing, boat, hill, with the same vehicle not in OD and NOT over-heating......

Again, I agree with the your friends at the boat dealership, pulling a hill while towing (and sometimes not even that)in OD would not be the "correct" thing to do, but I have my doubts as to whether or not fluid over-heating would result due to OD or not.
    Gkatz the only reason I am considering used is because it is a Limited with all the bells and whistles. That's what you have isn't it? It also qualifies for "certified" up to 100K powertrain. The 2002 also has $10K of depreciation, $12,500 if you factor in tax. But is has 42K miles on it.

New?......well we all know what it is like to have new car. These darn Sequoias hold their value so well that it just seems logical or us to go with a new SR5, even if we don't get all the goodies.
    The return trip was done with OD off and I experienced no overheating. No, the return trip wasn't more down hill. I live in a "piedmont" area with lots of rolling hills, but not too much elevation. The only difference was the OD switch.

Since that occasion, I've never towed with the OD on. I've moved to a much heavier boat but also to a Tundra with a V8. I've towed up and down I-95 in some VERY hot and humid conditions. Sometimes, I drive up to 4 hours with the bulk of it at 75 MPH. Never have I had the warning light come on since I started following the manual.
    I know what you're saying, but I would go new, options or not. The Limited doesn't have much more than a loaded SR5. I got the Limited because there were no fully optioned SR5's around.
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    Is it a base Land cruiser?? I think the land cruiser is one of the best cars ever in its older form, but what market is the sequia for???? I seems to be the same size as a land cruiser but cheaper.
  • stevek80stevek80 Member Posts: 64
    Buy the truck you want. If you really want a Limitted then buy a new Limitted or your'll never be really happy.. When your spending this type of money a few grand more on the loan isn't going to hurt that much and you'll be driving what you really want. Years ago I wanted a Harley Davidson Heritage motorcycle and bought a Low Rider instead because I got a good deal on it. For years I rode the low rider but every time I saw a Heritage I kicked myself. When I got my Suburban I wanted the K2500 series. I almost settled for a K1500 because I wanted a diesel and I could get a better deal on a K1500 diesel. I remembered how I felt about my Harley deal and purchased the K2500 with a diesel. I still look at other Suburbans and I'm still extreamly happy getting the truck I wanted.. You go around once in life.. These are the times to splurge a little.. Just my thought.. 8-)
    I test drove a 2001 used LC and wasn't impressed at all. The sales guy was drooling over the truck and kept saying he wished he could afford one.. It had 20K miles on it and all the bells and whistles and they wanted $41K. Same price as a 4x4 2004 Limitted.. It's smaller than the Sequoia and it didn't do anything for me. I think the LC is a status type vehicle not worth the price.
    You make some good points. However, as you know I have been struggling with this decision for several months. First it was Sub vs. Sequ decision. Last week after renting a Sub and driving 400 miles in one day I liked it. But on the way to the airport I stopped by the Toyota Dealer to test the Sequoia. Nothing wrong with the Sub, I just FEEL better about spending $$$$ on the TOYOTA.
    SEE TODAY'S W.S. JOURNAL CLASS ACTION AGAINST GM FOR PISTON SLAP ISSUE, SECTION D.

Since I haven't had a new car since my 1986 Prelude, the thought of $35-40K is giving me an anxiety attack. Due mostly because I have been able to get by with used up until now. So... if I can save $5-6K by getting a nicley equipped SR5 vs. Limited, it will be easier to justify .

Regarding the Land Cruiser vs. Sequoia. I have been buying used Land Cruisers up until now. I am in the camp that the Land Cruiser is Much better built in the interior than the Sequoia but grossly overpriced. Hence, my move to a NEW Sequoia.
  • quesera1quesera1 Member Posts: 18
    We passed 60,000 miles this weekend. Our 2001 4X4 Limited received a fresh oil change with MobilOne Synthetic, a new air filter from Purolator, and four new Michelin Cross Terrains from Costco.

Neither the Purolator air filter nor the oil filter seemed very impressive. The air filter material did not seem quite as thick as the Toyota product which I'd used before.

I'm happy with the tires so far and with Costco service. They have $60 off a set of four through February 1st. I had wanted to move up to size 27570R16 but Costco wouldn't do it.

I think I still need to do transmission fluid & filter service. Any advice on routines and maintenance intervals?
  • jpowerjpower Member Posts: 2
    sorry to butt in on the other car talk but I need a summary on what to look for with '99 rx300's. I am looking for a good used one and could use the help.
    How was yours stacy?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I am new here and am wondering what time if any did Toyota havea factory to dealer incentive on the Sequoias? Second, is it easy to access the third row seats? Is it alot of climbing or just pull the second row seats forward and step in? Thanks alot!
  • katzatkatzat Member Posts: 45
    Factory incentives were available for the '03 Sequoias in some regions at the end of last year. If any are left, they may still be available. I suspect they may incentize the ‘04s at the end of the year, particularly if they release an updated ’05 model.

Third row seats are easy to get into – just flip up the second row. And they are the most comfortable of any of the third row seats I’ve sat in (even for normal sized adults) with the exception of Suburbans and Excursions.
    I will second the ease of use of the third row of seats. We have a son who is handicapped and we needed a way to get into the third row easily. Of all the vehicles we tried in "01 this was the easiest.

quesera1; I think we have almost the same car, mine is 60K with cross terrains purchased from costco. I also use mobil one, but I use toyota filters, you can get them on sale from toyota for around $4. I would encourage you to get the transmission flush. I tow a trailer and have it done at the 30K mile service interval.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    I found the Sequoia 3rd row MUCH more comfortable, roomier, and easier to get into than my friends Suburban (haven't tried excursion) The head room in the rear is much better than his (due to placement of A/C vents on the sides) his are in the middle. He actually took his flip up 2nd row seat out due to the problems trying to climb in.
  • pickeribpickerib Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know what to expect next year? I'd love it if they'd include a hybrid V6 to improve gas milage. I don't need to tow anything, but sure do like the added space in the Sequoia.
    Believe it or not, we are not too terribly far away from a Hybrid engine for the Sequoia and Tundra. The Highlander is getting one first, then the Sienna, but by 2007, there will be a hybrid engine for the trucks. I don't know if it is a V6 or V8 but it is coming.

As far as the 2005 refresh, I would expect to see the new 5.3 liter engine. That engine is rumored to be coming in the 2006 Tundra as a mid-year release so I would assume it would be in the Sequoia as well.
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know if in general Toyotas (or specifically the Tundra) are 50 state compliant?

Part 2: any challenges buying in Nevada/Arizona, and registering in California?

Post #9325 in the 4Runner board got me thinking, and NV/AZ have better incentives at the moment.
    The Tundra, Runners and Sequoia are 50 state emission rated.
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the quick response, Steve.

Now, anyone out there have California registration experience of an out of state purchase?
    Well, now that you ask... It isn't too difficult as long as its a new car. Used cars are a complete nightmare. Your only big issue is going to be the certificate of origin or CO. If you pay cash, its no problem. You'll get a temporary tag (most states give you a 30 day tag) and within that time, you'll be sent the CO. Take that to the DMV and pay the tax and you'll be given the tags.

Now, if you finance it, things get a bit complex. Most banks will not let you have possession of the CO if they are financing it. They will require the dealer to record them as lien holder and that means the dealer must do all tag and title work. If your dealer can't do the CA tag work, you're out of luck.

Some credit unions will let you take the CO to the DMV and record it yourself. Credit unions are more trusting of their customers than regular banks or Toyota Financial Services.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    if maybe the Limited had 10K miles on it.. might be a tossup.. but with that many miles and only $2600 or so separating them.. to me it's a no-brainer.. new all the time..

that's way way over mileage.. wouldn't get a good price even at a dealer wholesale auction...
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I'm not in a rush so I might wait til the end of the year or so to see the changes on the 05's. Another question... what miles/gallon are people getting in the Seq's. Also, katzat, what was the incentive amount on the 03's. Thanks again.
  • droll1droll1 Member Posts: 1
    I have decided to buy a Sequoia when the 2005's come out. My one concern is will there be a major restyling in 2006? I really don't want to buy the last year of the current model and I believe that it was introduced in 2001 and they go through a major restyling every 5 or 6 years. Thanks.
    I am currently averaging 12 mpg on my Sequoia, but My truck is brand new (have had it for only 5 days now with roughly 100 miles) and the weather here in the Chicagoland area has been horrible with snow and temperatures around zero. The Sequoia barely gets a chance to warm up during my 13 mile drive between home and work. Most folks on this board have reported much better mileage figures, but I assume their trucks are well broken in and they are driving in better conditions with at least some highway mileage.

Tomorrow I will be taking the truck on a business trip to Terre Haute, IN. This trip (roughly 500 miles round trip) is mostly highway miles, although there may be some snow, and the high temperature tomorrow is expected to peak out at 5 F. I will report back this weekend and post my highway mileage.

Regarding the incentives, this site posts them if they are applicable to your area. Back when I originally purchased my Sequoia (bought it in late September and it took 4 months to receive the truck), they were incentizing the ‘03s with $1,000 factory to dealer incentives. I might have bough an ’03 if I didn’t have such a specific set of color and option requirements that couldn’t even be found together on any of the ‘04s on the lots in this area at the time.

Droll1, with regard to “major restyling” of the Sequoia in 2006 and your statement that the Sequoia will be 5 years old in its current form by then: Remember that we are talking about Toyota here, and a truck at that. You might consider the Camry, which has been around in basically its same form since the early ‘90s. I would expect Toyota to offer an alternative engine (bigger, not smaller) and maybe put a navigation system or some other bells and whistles into the interior of the truck, and possibly flat folding third row seats (possibly well worth the wait by themselves). Don’t expect a major body, size, or running gear redesign. They generally address the competition with these minor updates, and the Sequoia already beats the competition on the technical aspects of the 4WD system and the reliability of the running gear. They are just a little behind on some of the creature comfort aspects of the interior.

Based on the past 15 years of the Camry and particularly the Land Cruiser, I wouldn’t expect the 2006 Sequoia to be noticeably different from the current models to the untrained eye. Definitely not a difference on the scale of the latest change to the Explorer or Expedition.
    All Toyota needs to do is offer a bigger optional engine, nav, update the interior and go to the 5 speed tranny found in the LC. Oh yeah, memory seats. IRS would be nice but I don't really care since the thing rides so nice anyway. Besides the live axle is tougher.
    Toyota won't do it.. With all these upgrades INCLUDING a 5 speed tranny, who would ever buy the LC.. I would have been happy if I could have gotten dual front temp controls. I'll bet when they put in the nav system they figure in dual temp controls.. of course they won't do anything till after my 2004 is delivered.
    Steve: Actually, there has been talk on this site regarding the retirement of the Land Cruiser, even as a Lexus, in favor of an upgrade to the Sequoia. Your statement, “who would ever buy the LC”, is exactly what everyone is saying to themselves. When I first looked at the Sequoia, that is what I thought. I immediately decided that Toyota had to be thinking the same thing. The Land Cruiser is an overpriced relic at this point.

BTW, Who is buying the LC? Not North Americans (I don't think). Probably just Austrailians, Central and South Americans, and Africans. It seems that the LC still competes with the RR Defender in some of these areas.

I also like the solid rear axle and differential housing. I have always loved the way Toyota (and Nissan for that matter) stuck with the single piece construction on this part instead of the pipe in socket design of the American trucks.
    In order to get the sunroof in the Sequoia you MUST order the one of the upgraded wheel packages ,....which I wasn't planning on doing.

So now I need to decide if it is worth the extra money at all to have the sunroof. Since I was ordering the trailer hitch separate getting the the wheel package works out to an extra $1000 I didn't want to spend.

Who likes, dislikes or doesn't care?
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Ordered mine with no sunroof, did get the wheel package. No sunroof for me for the following reasons. I keep my cars for many years 10+ if they still work. Past cars had sunroofs. Long term, seals eventually dry out and start to leak, Hotter in summer and colder in winter, another possible source for wind noise etc., My son hates the sun in his eyes, had one in my Explorer had to keep cover on/closed all the time he was in it. Personal experience, only me in the cars, loved having sunroof open for ventilation. Actual use, mostly wife and kids, never open, too many "possible" negatives to outweigh the positives for me. Some people have complained about rail alignment problems and rattles from the sunroof on the Sequoia. My Explorer went back to dealer 4 times for sunroof leaking they changed every seal and still had problems. It used to leak in winter, snow would melt, pool by edge of glass, refreeze and force itself under glass, next day sun would melt and leak from where it went through.

Wheel package yes, Liked the 17" rims style (especially over steel), spare is the same rim, 5 tire rotations, Prefer the look of "factory" dark tinted glass all around, prewired 7 pin connector for towing with connector inside for brake controller, Larger alternator for powering accessories,
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    The latest Motortrend has a comparison of 5 full size SUVs, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Dodge Durango, Toyota Sequoia, and Nissan Pathfinder Armada. Although the Sequioa is the second oldest model in the comparison, it finished second to the Durango which is brand new. Of course it got marked down for bland styling and weak engine.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    If for no other reason.....to get rid of that ridiculous overhead console! The sunroof in the Sequoia is absolutely HUGE!! If you like them, it's nice to have. Personally we don't use ours much but with the sliding liner it's super quiet and well insulated for summer and winter! As far as the seals drying out and leaking. Factory sunroofs DON'T rely on rubber seals to keep things waterproof. They "manage" the water by routing it through drains. Rubber seals are mostly for sound deadening.
    This is the first vehicle I have ever had with a sunroof (not counting my MR2 Spyder), we love it. It adds a feeling of scenery and space when its open. No good for freeway driving, but on short trips around town and other pleasure driving it gives a good open feeling. The glass is very tinted so if you have the cover open it does not "bake" you. You have to have another window open or you will get the buffeting noise, but you would get that if any "one" window was open. It was one of the features we had on our want list for a new car.
    Hey give more details, it's not on the newstands yet! I heard the Armada came in behind the Sequoia?
    The difference with the Explorer sunroof is you had to find a place for the sun shield. On the sequoia it just slides back. It's a hassle on the Explorer to remove and put someplace out of the way where it won't get dirty and easy to reach so you cah put it back when you wanted to.. I'm hoping we'll use it more on the Sequoia... Yea.. Like my wife is going to let me drive it that much.. Actually we ordered the Limitted so we didn't get an option..
  • mr21mr21 Member Posts: 15
    Picked up my 2004 SR5 (4x2) last Friday. I ordered it with the alloy pkg. #2 which includes the tow package. My question is: is the miniature looking radiator in front of the large radiator a transmission cooler? Thanks in advance.
    Trace the lines. It could be either an oil cooler or tranny cooler. They both look the same but go to different places..
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Yes, the Armada finished third behind the Sequoia. They, of course loved the Armada's powertrain, but they complained of lots of interior noise (worst in the group) and a harsh, stiff ride. When you consider the Pathfinder is brand new, to finish behind a competitor in its 4th model year is really lame.

I'm surprised the Sequoia and even older Tahoe don't get marked down for being the only ones without fold-flat third row seats.

As for the Durango, I can see why it finished first although I wouldn't buy one. I personally don't like the exterior styling and this Durango seems to already be living up to the previous model that was plagued with quality problems (will Mercedes ever influence quality over there?). Those issues don't ever come up in these comparisons unless the test vehicle actually has those issues.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    These auto mags are sure to get us all riled up for nothing with their incessant comparos. The Sequoia bested by a Durango ? Puleaze ! That is the lamest study I've seen in a while. The 5.7L hemi in the Dodge cannot make up for the truck's grotesque styling. About the only thing going for the Dodge is that it is a new design. Not that its a better looking design tho', just a *new* design. I'd wager that winning a MT comparo ain't going to improve sales of the Dogde. The same can be said for the Expy, that losing the comparo will not slow its sales as the #1 selling F/s SUV. So what the heck is the comparo designed to achieve ? Maybe lining the pockets of the MT reviewers and their editors.

Moving on....

Seemed like my neighbors have had a bug of new cars this year. I thought the economy is so-so, but not with my neighbors. In the past 4 weeks, there's been 3 new cars - an '04 Mazda3, loaded with all options incl Navi, at a $24K price tag. Sweet deal, sweet car..... Next was an '04 WRX, with the hand shaker, silver and very speedy. My neighbor and I went racing with it the other night. What a sweet revving four-banger..... And then just this weekend, the other neighbor couldn't take it anymore, she went out and got herself an '04 VW Bug. Geez. Now, they are making me get the car *bug*, no pun intended. SO far I am handling the pressure quite well, but knowing Mrs OAC, she ain't having none of that. So I might just drool over my neighbors Mazda3 and WRX for awhile. Methinks Mazda is having a good turnround story. The Mazda3 loaded up (leather, 6CD changer, Nav, very sticky 17" wheels, etc) all for a measly $24K. That has to be one of the best package out there. I want one between the WRX and the Mazda3. My neighbors told me they couldn't stand it seeing me revving around the neighborhood in the '03 Matrix, so they decided they all gonna one-up me. Well, they sure do, cos my Trix is now the weakest link of the bunch, LOL !

Oh, our '01 Seq is still rolling along fine. No problems whatsoever. Now with 46K trouble-free miles.... And mine has the silly kazillion sunglass holders... eeckkkk... That is the one thing about my Seq I truly dislike....
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Are the SUVs in this test 4WD?
  • bigredcarbigredcar Member Posts: 1
    We're close to purchasing a Sequioa and have a question about the cargo area. The specs list cargo area with the 2nd and 3rd row seats *completely* removed. They are listed as 128.1/65.4/27.8 cu feet behind front/middle/rear seats.

Does anyone have a spec (an educated guess is fine, too) about the dimensions of the cargo areas without the seats removed, only folded up. That space is an important factor in our decision.

Thanks
  • domlauridomlauri Member Posts: 6
    The people making the comparison must now squat about what Durango owners think. This is the first time in my life I have ever met a person who actually bought a vehicle new and traded it in within a year for a different vehicle. In fact, I now personally know four different people who did just this. Two are immediate neighbors.

After months of service visits, poor performance, uncomfortable rides and plan frustration, they just traded in their new Durangos and bought other vehicles. POS was they standard name for it.

I personally would never consider a Chrysler product for myself again, they just stink. I did own a 1968 Dodge pickup that was awesome. However after that I owned a Late 70's Aspen wagon and another truck. Both were completely worthless vehicles. Since then I've had two Fords and three other Toyotas before this one. I have to tip my glass to the Toyotas for the value I have found in these vehicles.

My '03 sequoia has had a few issues in the last 12 months, but all are fixed now. My Durango friends could not get their's ironed out. Nor could they get rid of them fast enough.

IMHO.
  • domlauridomlauri Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell us the quantity of miles that are used to calculate the average MPG in the trip computer of the '03 Sequoia?

Thanks.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Saw one today, and I must confess it looked much better up close than in pictures. Looked real solid too ! I am impressed, at least from what I see from the outside. Yet this truck with so much HP over the Seq came third in the MT comparo. Hopefully, Nissan will fix whatever ails it and make it even more competitive. I must say that Nissan, like Infiniti has been doing a lot of things right lately, and if they keep it up, they should make it interesting against Toyota/Lexus.

We, the consumers, should be the winner.

Now, if only we can wake other Seq owners up and get this board active again ....or is our truck so darn perfect there is nothing to complain about ?

Here is one: Unfortunately, neither my wife nor I get to drive it much lately; just sits in the garage. Kinda sad tho' cos everytime I see one on the road, I long to drive ours, but then when I am leaving for work everyday, it looks so darn big and intimidating, I just get into my sedan and drive it instead. What will it take to turn this truck into a daily driver ? That is my current dilemna with this truck. Anyone have any suggestions ?