Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    probably had fully inflated tires.....
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Sequoia and other Toyota SUVs were rated in 2003.... Sequoia was only three stars.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003SUVs.html
  • aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    (This is the 3rd time I've posted this...)

I now own an '02 HL and am thinking about trading to an '05 SEQ. I really like the ride of the HL, and am wondering if anyone else has made a similar switch and could share their experience - ride, driving, etc.

Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    (This is the 3rd time I've posted this...)

Unfortunately, a number of posts got lost during our software upgrade and we regret the inconvenience.

tidester, host
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    The highlander is going to give you a better luxury ride as the sequoia is build on a truck frame, but you'll get more truck capability out of the sequoia. Keep in mind, you are considering two extremely different vehicles. Below are the comparison items I found on edmunds.

Price: Sequoia will average about 13k more

Warranty: Same

Engine: highlander 3.3 v6 vs sequoia 4.7 v8

Drivetrain: highlander AWD,traction control, vsc vs sequoia 4wd high and low, transfer case, locking center diff, vsc, traction control, and 2wd mode.

Power liftgate window: sequoia only

Suspension: highlander front and rear independent vs sequoia front independant and rear solid axle.

Structure: highlander unitized body vs sequoia full boxed ladder frame

Seating: 7 highlander vs 8 sequoia

Power steering: sequoia has speed-proportional steering

Rear brakes: highlander disc vs sequoia ventilated disc

Turning radius: highlander 5 ft tighter

Cargo capacity: highlander 81 cu. ft vs sequoia 128 cu. ft

Towing: highlander 3500 lbs vs sequoia 6200 lbs

Gas: highlander 18/24 vs sequoia 14/17

Fuel tank: highlander 19.1 gal vs sequoia 26.1 gal

Length: sequoia 20 inches longer

width: sequoia 6 inches wider

height: sequoia 8 inches taller

weight: sequoia 1300 lbs heavier

ground clearance: sequoia 3.3 inches higher

As for driving, I was very surprised with how easy the sequoia is to drive considering the thing is huge, in fact it was the easiest to drive out of all the comparable SUV's I test drove by quite a large margin.

The highlander is very similar to the Sienna minivan, same engine, same towing, similar room and dimensions, same suspension design, unitized bodies(full frame for sequoia), and similar drivetrains. Even though the sequoia rides quite nice, it's still a truck and you'll get a nicer ride from the highlander.

Hope this helps, I've tried to be as unbiased as possible being a sequoia owner.
    Thanks, bp3959! You've done a great job comparing the two. I'm still in a quandary though regarding the ride difference - my HL is great on our frequent 6-7 hour drives but I like the SEQ's longer wheel base and height and capacity. More research ahead!
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    The Sequoia is great on long trips. I have made four 650 mile trips (about 11 hours each)Part of one trip was in heavy rain. The 4WD system worked well when hitting puddles at Interstate highway speed. Also when work areas are encountered, the Sequoia takes them in stride. We have taken a number of Winter trips to Northern Vermont (250 miles), some in bad weather and have always felt secure. I agree with bp3959 that it drives like a smaller SUV and I would add that it is very comfortable. However, I have not driven the Highlander. If you need the extra room or better off road capability, go for the Sequoia. If you don't need them, then the Sequoia is a waste of money.
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    I have to transport furniture (i.e., chairs and table) and do not want to scratch the paint on my roof. So, I was thinking of purchasing a luggage basket. Are there any fairly decent roof rack systems out there that are fairly inexpensive?

I can recall spending nearly $400 for a Yakima bike rook rack system for my Avalon but do not want to head down that road again. Yakima's system is too inflexible.
  • bigdrunk92037bigdrunk92037 Member Posts: 9
    Dont know about anyone here, but I was kind of bummed that more updates were not made to the '05. I was really hoping for a major refresh to the interior (which it looks like there were NONE). The 5-speed tranny is a great add. Suposedly, the updated engine needs premium gas? Thats weak! Since I have been waiting to purchase an '05, I was happy to see that no major re-designs will happen for at least 2 years. Any thoughts
    Does anyone know why toyota would use a clutch fan on the sequoia instead of electric fans? I'm curious because not only will electric fans not rob power from the motor, but i've heard they move more air.
    Can generate a LOT more waste heat under a heavy towing load and a clutch coupling can couple a lot more power/rpm to the fan accordingly.
    Thanks wwest, makes sense.
  • tooheeldrivetooheeldrive Member Posts: 17
    factory web site. No mention of Torsen Transfer case or premium fuel requirement. MPG is up by 1 MPG city and hwy for the 4wd version.
  • nescovinnescovin Member Posts: 24
    Just bought my new 04 SR5.
    I noticed that this car sits really high and I don't have much visibility while parallel parking.
    My wife and I are used to the reverse sense park assist system that we had on our previous SUV. I got an after market quote to install this which included a visual LED system installed inside the car (at the back end of the roof) for $500. Has anybody installed an after market reverse sense system?
    Wonder why Toyota doesn't offer a reverse sense system?
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    "The 4WD system worked well when hitting puddles at Interstate highway speed"

Unless you were in deep snow, you were not feeling 4WD. That would do nothing unless you had wheel slippage.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    On the winter trips I had one occassion when I was doing 65 mph at night, on an upgrade, the VSC came on and cut the gas. This alerted me that I was traveling too fast for the road conditions. I know that this is not the 4WD, but I believe the two systems are integrated. On wet roads when one might hydro plane I feel confident that the combination of the two would keep me out of trouble. I know these systems are not FOOL proof. On our winter trips, I have seen many SUVs off the road because they don't stop any better than 2WD.
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    I have recently noticed an intermittant high pitched whistling sound coming from the roof of
    my Sequoia. It is not pure wind noise and it does
    not seem to be really speed related. At first I
    thought that a loose moonroof wind deflector was
    the problem so I removed it. The sound still persisted. I think that I have narrowed it down to the roof rack but I am not sure. I know it is
    not a leek around either the moonroof, windshield or windows because I can hear it louder when the
    moonroof is open.
    Any thoughts before I take it into the dealership
    to have them look into it???
    try sliding the front crossbar on the roof rack back (or forward) a few inches and see if the noise changes.
    Does the SEQ have a cabin air filter, similar to the Highlander?

Thanks.
    I don't know for sure, but every time I drive through Gary Indiana I can smell the steel mills with the windows up.
    Thanks; I've driven the HL past Gary, too - I always thought that the odor was the same as any city's major industry - the smell of money - some more obvious than others!

Seriously, I'm very close to ordering an '05 SEQ and trade the HL, so I appreciate all the information from SEQ owners like you.
    And no way to add one without major modification. I know, I tried.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I know this has been answered many times heres before, but can someone give me a briefanswer to the difference between the two? Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The first 5 or so posts in Toyota 4WD systems explained should help.

Steve, Host
    AWD does not require driver intervention nor attention. 4WD must be engaged and disengaged depending on driving surface conditions.

The are some rare exceptions to the above but in general this definition holds.

4WD vehicles often come with a low gear range but that is in no way a requirement for much of the driving public.

There are a myriad of ways of implementing AWD out there in the marketplace, some of them not very functional, and some extremely so. It will be up to the buyer to do some serious research in a specific implementation to determine acceptability for a given driving style/location/climate.
  • slwinderslwinder Member Posts: 8
    I have been looking closely at the 2005 Sequioa. Two questions:

1. It appears from using wedsites (e.g., Toyota.com, Cars.com, Edmunds.com) that a SR5 can be optioned out such that it is the same as the Limited, but at a lower cost. I find this hard it to believe that it would be the same, but cost less. What am I missing?

2. My Toyota dealer confirmed that the 2006 model will be a redesign, thereby making me a little cautious to spend $40,000 plus on a 2005 model. Waiting for the 2006 would make sense since I own a Pathfinder today. Is it generally recommended to stay away from the first year redesigns, therby meaning one should wait for the 2007 model.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.
  • cbrewercbrewer Member Posts: 5
    I was going to get the 04 at the end of the model year but there are NO incentives. How do you feel about $1,500 over invoice on the 2005?
  • slwinderslwinder Member Posts: 8
    $1500 over invoice is too high. Fitzmall.com is selling 2005 Limited's at invoice, not a penny more.
  • mosquitonetmosquitonet Member Posts: 7
    having problem fining alignment specs message #. Pls. help
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    Just had my front brake pads replaced and rotors machined at 22,200 miles on my 03. The pads were down to 25 percent, but since I needed an alignment, I decided to suck it in and make the change. I was hoping to get 36,000 miles but no luck for me driving the Sequoia in the Baltimore-DC metro area.
    If you're going through brakes that fast you should look into some ceramics next time.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Has anyone taken a test of the new 2005 with the increased engine power. I have spoken to several dealers that tell me everyone they are getting in is already sold. One dealer has so many 2004's that they are not pushing 2005's yet.

I can't wait to try one out, but I realize that there is going to be an initial rush with the bucket seats option. Perfect for my family!
  • walmswalms Member Posts: 1
    I took a blk 2005 limited for a test drive yesterday. Yes: the increase in HP was noticible - I wouldn't say that it seemed a lot faster but it did seem more responsive and agile than the 2004. In addtion, they updated the gauge display which looks great - much better then 2004. Overall a darn nice ride.

That said - I'm really having a hard time getting used to the new exterior design. The hood is a bit more raked back, and the grill opening is smaller. I told the sales guy that it looked more like a station wagon front end vs. the 2004 which truly looks like a truck. The tailights are also different - there is now a big round bulb instead of the three hash marks. The sales guy said they are going for a "more sporty" look - which I guess I can see.

But the 2004 really looks more tradtional vs. the trendiness of the 2005. I've pre-ordered a blk 2005 but I'm thinking of canceling. Any one else feel this way?
  • sjk2sjk2 Member Posts: 5
    Are there enough Sequoia owners out there who are angry enough at Toyota for treating us like NOBODYS? How many times did Toyota say to you this problem is normal?

If the it was under the Lexus nameplate, Toyota would turn themselves inside out to remedy our problems... The GX470 share the same Drive Shaft technology and when LEXUS Owners complain with the same problems Lexus acknowledges it and offers a solution... They have a Technical Service Bulliten to correct that exact problem... Our TOYOTA SEQUOIAS cost in the $40,000-$50,000 range. We need to get the same treatment as the Lexus GX470 drivers.

We as a group can make a difference...Everybody who brings their truck in to Toyoyta for this problem can not be dismissed by the dealer telling us it is normal when LEXUS recognizes this as a PROBLEM with a REMEDY.

WE NEED TO START A CLASS ACTION SUIT TO MAKE TOYOTA FIX IT.

Register a complaint into the government website www.nhtsa.dot.gov or call them tollfree 888 327 4236
    TOYOTA has to acknowledge each one of these complaints.

MAKE TOYOTA ACCOUNTABLE.

I invite replies to further this QUEST
    I understand your concern, but this is not a fatal flaw and there is a simple fix. I had this problem too, but over a few weeks it fixed itself. Another poster mentioned that too much grease in the driveshaft slip joint is the problem and the excess grease can be pushed back out by removing the grease fitting (zerk) and jumping up and down on the rear bumper. I was ready to try this, because it does get annoying, but didn't need to.

Instead of making a major deal out of it why don't you try a different dealer or an independent shop.
    I would agree with you if I had the problem on my Sequoia, unless of course the problem is too much grease and someone other than the dealership put the grease in. If it comes from the factory like that, then it's Toyota's problem, and they should take responsibility to rectify the problem.
    My truck has been back 18 times in 2 1/2 years (only to Toyota dealers). I had my issues since 1st month of ownership & it is still happening

I took my truck to 2 different Toyota dealers. Dealers say it's "normal".

I went lemon law in July 2004 and lost even after reproducing the problem many times to the L.L arbitrator.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From what I read around Town Hall, lemon law arbitrations focus on safety issues. Lemon lawyers, despite their name, tend to file warranty claims which could cover any defect in the vehicle. You may want to ask around.

btw, we don't have time to verify phone numbers here so please don't post them (see the Member Agreement for details). Thanks,

Steve, Host
    Do you work for Toyota Motor Corp?!?

It's a PROBLEM . Two separate Toyota dealer looked at it (18 times).

Sequioa owners are paying Lexus prices and must unite to get the same level treatment.

GO TO THE www.nhtsa.dot.gov WEBSITE and file a complaint. Make TOYOTA ACCOUNTABLE
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Instead of getting snippy with tooheeldrive about his answer, maybe you should try his suggestion. He's been around this forum long enough to have done some good and doesn't deserve that kind of response.

Report back as to whether his suggestion worked or not. We'd like to know.
    I have taken it to 2 Toyota dealers over 18 times for this problem in 2 1/2 years.
     They tried all the "forum " fixes and within weeks and only a few hundred miles the problem reoccurs. I have made numerous phone calls to Toyota corperate Printed out fixes from "forum" sites & even gave copies of the LEXUS TSB for MY SAME EXACT PROBLEM for both dealers to say their hands are tied .Toyota must empower the service Depts. to FIX this problem not mask it.. I DONT EXPECT TOO PAY any outside non TOYOTA SERVICE dealer a penny too fix what is a warranty issue
    The dealer says Toyota will not pay them to fix the truck... I paid almost $50,000 for my sequoia LTD which I OWN not lease . I want it to be RIGHT...If I spent $50,000 on a LEXUS GX 470 I would be treated like an appreciated client with a valid problem that requires a remedy....NOT it's NORMAL deal with it attitude!!

If all sequoia owners would file a complaint it will send a message to Toyota .IT's A TOYOTA PROBLEM TOO.If people don't stand together and respond like you ,TOYOTA WILL GET OVER on the CLIENTS time and time again
    pschreck: nice to see you are still on the board, thanks for the kind words.

sjk2, thanks for the compliment, but no I don't work for Toyota. I'm just a happy customer.

Life is too short to waste so much time obsessing over a vehicle. 18 trips to the dealer? I bet they hate to see you coming. I have made exactly 1 trip to the dealer in 3 years so they could show me how to program the door locks.

Every problem has a solution, some just take longer to figure out than others. The dealer is obviously stumped, and you have probably worn out your welcome there... you did sue them didn't you? They don't like that. And using caps (yelling) won't help your cause on this board either.

The dealer really agreed to try all the "forum" solutions? I get a lot of eye rolling whenever and wherever I mention that I heard it on the internet. Did they replace the driveshaft? You don't give us much information (history) but want us to jump on your one man "bandwagon" to pressure Toyota about your problem. Hmmm, not too likely, as your problem has not surfaced as a major issue with the owners who post on this board.

If you are still reading... and are still willing to work on the problem, I do have another idea that you could try without involving the dealer. Does your Sequoia spend most of it's time unloaded with one person aboard? If so, try this: load enough stuff in the back to drop the truck a couple of inches (300 or 400 pounds should do it) and then drive around for a few hundred miles. This will cause the driveshaft slip joint to wear in a different area and may loosen up. The Sequoia is sprung pretty stiffly so that joint moves very little (and so doesn't distribute lubrication very well and binds up) in an unloaded vehicle.

Well that's my two cents hope it helps.

Good luck.

THD
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    I will be purchasing a new vehicle in January to replace my leased '02 Yukon. I really like the Yukon but would am considering a Sequoia. My one concern is the higher price as well as the second-row seats in the Sequoia that do not fold flat. This is a feature that I do occasionally use in my Yukon. What are the thoughts on those who have looked at or owned both vehicles?
  • toetrucktoetruck Member Posts: 22
    For the umpteenth time --- KEEP THE CENTER GREASE FITTING OF THE REAR PROPELLER SHAFT LUBRICATED WITH A GREASE GUN !--every time you change oil,takes five minutes (2001 Seq.4WD)
  • austx_sr5austx_sr5 Member Posts: 14
    I am on the cusp of ordering an 05 SR5 @ invoice price.
    I want the sun/moon roof but am not happy about the look of the wind deflector. Will I have noise/wind problem if i order the Seq without a wind deflector for the sun roof?
    Thanks for any input
    This board ROCKS
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    No problem.

I pop in once in a while. It's gotten awful quite around here lately. Now that cliffy isn't around and with the demise of heatwave it's not as lively as it used to be.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I have an 04 and just ordered my deflector, should b coming in tomorrow or tuesday. I saw it at the dealer and it is weird looking. The corners have gaps in them. When I get it on I'll tell you. I ordered it through the net at 1sttoyotaparts.com. They seem to be the cheapest that I could find.
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    Hello tooheeldrive and pschrek. Long time no post. I still lurk here almost everyday but rarely post. Haven't seen the word "heatwave" since I posted many moons ago. Love to know where he is. Some of the posters here should go back in the archives to see some of the "lively" discussions we had!
    Take care.
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    Where exactly is the rear propeller shaft?
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    The second row of seats and how they work are a pain, but that is my only real issue with this SUV. They fold forward very easy, the pain is to attach the strap to hold it up. If you only want flat space you do not have to fold the seat all the way forward, just lay the back down and use it for whatever you need.

714cut and others. It is nice to know that there are others who have been reading this form for as long as me. I got real good advice from the forum when purchasing my '01 seq.

Biggest problems before were, no heated seat with SR5 leather upgrade! We have come a long way. I guess things will get pretty lively when the new seq comes out (body and engine)....