Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Im sorry but I have to laugh...
    I guess it doesnt matter which side of the country you are on cause these dealers seem to all play the same gamee!! Ive been going through the very same thing here on the west coast.
    Lets see I have a growing list of 6 now that have done the exact same thing to me too!!
    The latest was San Francisco Toyota who agreed upon a price and with in 3 minutes the car was maracleculously gone!!
    Im so sick of jumping in the car and going on wild goose chases with my checkbook burning a hole in my pocket.
    I wish you LOTS OF LUCK in getting what you want.
  • I posted a message (#792) and no one replied. While I know that it is somewhat difficult to compare a minivan with a Sequoia, surely someone has gone through the same dilemma. I am really stuck and would like to hear from someone if you have any advice.

Thanks
  • I really Enjoy my Limited 2WD Sequoia and could honestly say I love it . It has the best looks ( by far ), ride, finish and workmanship than any other Full Size SUV in the market today.

I just have a few little things I would like to work on.

1) I would really like to add a after market seat memory if possible. It's a pain to make the changes after my wife drives it.

2) It would be nice to add some nice Running Board Lights to each end of them front and back part of the running boards.

3) The doors locking when the Vehicle is started and starts rolling is a great safety feature. How do I get the dealer to enable this?

4) A way to turn on all of the interior lights from the drivers seat. Not reaching over and switching each of them on.

5) Lastly I have been feeling a slight vibration tapping feeling under the drivers footing area. Does anyone know how I can get the dealer to believe me? They say they do not feel anything. It is mostly felt on the Freeway when driving at a consistent speed.

If I could get the above things sorted out I would be Ecstatic about my new SUV.

Can anyone help me with Any of the Above Issues?
  • The Toy Previa is one of the worse vehicles on the road as far as safety in case of a crash according to the NHTSA crash tests. That is why Toy went ahead and redid the van, hence the Sienna which is one of the BEST AND SAFEST (if not #1) minivan out there.

I would get rid of that Previa NOW.....if possible. I think you will be please with the Toy Sequ. Yeah, you have to give up some room. But is it worth it. Personally I have a new LX470 which is smaller than the Toy Sequ. but I just love the LX and nothing less will do for me.
  • what are you seeking? Model, features, equipment, color, driveline? Yes, they sell rapidly, but there are those of us who will actually set a car aside for a day or two while folks make the time to come and get it... and not hold it for ransom. I have set Sequoias and many other models aside for days, and at times, weeks. This isn't roulette. It's a mutual trust issue. You promise to come and get it, someone believes you and waits til you get there for it. And, might I add, doesn't move the pricing goalposts. And, quit being so stubborn! I am not that hard to find/eMail, and way easy to deal with.

-Dianne
  • donlinodonlino Posts: 26
    Just started looking into the Sequioa as a possible replacement for my '99 Jeep Gr Chke Ltd. Prior to that had a '96 4Runner. One of the reasons that my wife did not like the 4Runner was step in height. How does the Sequia's step in height compare to the 4Runner or JCGL?
  • mp19fanmp19fan Posts: 102
    Hi, I'm posting this here because I am considering a Seq purchase in the next couple of months after my 98 JGC 4x4 lease expires. Received no replies to this in the JGC folder. Question, when left in full time 4WD, I notice on turns that I get a jerking feedback on the steering wheel, like the tires are out of round. Maybe front differential problems? Took it to the dealer and they said this was normal, because 4WD was not meant to be driven under dry conditions. Is this BS? Maybe he means part time 4WD? Does the Seq also do this? My 95 JGC didn't do this, to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for any input.
  • I guess that you and I are waiting for someone to tell us about their experience from a Van to a Sequoia.

I guess we just have to wait.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I had a person named Carl send me an e-mail asking for my description of the Sequoia 4WD system but somehow, there is no return address. Very odd stuff. I even clicked properties and only found it came from an AOL acount. The address in the text section wasn't valid either. Send me another e-mail and I'll get back to you with it.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The Sequoia doesn't do this. Trade that thing it before anybody else notices it. Send me an e-mail at sclifford@kjtoyota.com if you want a detailed explanation of the Sequoia Active-Trac system.
  • I checked the NHTSA report http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and only the 1991 Previa model was the worst, because it had no air bags for driver and passenger (1 star for the drive and 4 stars for the passenger). 1992/1993 had driver air bag and no passenger air bag and the rating was 3 stars drive/passenger. I would not consider this top be the worst, if the highest rating is 5 stars. OK (no flames please), I just bringing up the facts, since others who have the Previa may be missed informed, and sell their Previa much lower than market. Yes, I will agree that Sienna is rated as a 5 for driver/passenger. Sienna is also smaller than the Previa for cargo space, and thats why I have decided to look at the Sequoia.

Toyota rebid the Previa due to the fact they could not fit a 6 cyl in a Previa. They tried the supercharger 4 cyl , but the price of the van was too expensive and they lost market share. The Senna was the collaboration of GM and Toyota. GM provided the insite on what US customers wanted from a Van, and Toyota took the easy way by building it on the Camry platform.

Thanks for the advice anyway. Still waiting to here from those in Town Hall who made the jump from a Van to a Sequoia.

• I really Enjoy my Limited 2WD Sequoia and could honestly say I love it . It has the best looks ( by far ), ride, finish and workmanship than any other Full Size SUV in the market today.

I just have a few little things I would like to work on.

1) I would really like to add a after market seat memory if possible. It's a pain to make the changes after my wife drives it.

2) It would be nice to add some nice Running Board Lights to each end of them front and back part of the running boards.

3) The doors locking when the Vehicle is started and starts rolling is a great safety feature. How do I get the dealer to enable this?

4) A way to turn on all of the interior lights from the drivers seat. Not reaching over and switching each of them on.

5) Lastly I have been feeling a light tapping feeling under the drivers footing area not a vibration like some have felt but a light tapping ( feel no vibration steering if perfect ). Does anyone one else feel this? It is mostly felt driving on the freeway with a smooth ride. Just a bit annoying.

If I could get the above things sorted out I would be Ecstatic about my new SUV.

Can anyone help me with Any of the Above Issues? Thank you in advance.
  • neusslneussl Posts: 28
    It's Sunday evening and I'm on the web-site of the Toyota Dealer I purchased my Tundra from and guess what? They have their entire inventory of Sequoias priced at only $100 over invoice. MSRP, Invoice Price and their selling price is listed. Also all the equipment on the vehicle is listed. I don't know how long this will last. Check www.tuscaloosatoyota.com the largest seller of Toyota trucks in Alabama. Hope this helps.
  • What am I missing using this logic. Take a base price SR5 @ $31,295 (incl. destination) add Preferred Package ($3035), Alloy Wheel Package ($1515), Convenience Package ($490), Dual Air ($570), roof rack ($220) and pay $37,125. A Limited base price is $39,440 (incl destination). You save $2,315 and as far as I can see by add ons and get a pseudo-Limited. What are you really getting for this $2,315, the "Limited" emblem??
  • 714cut714cut Posts: 355
    Here are some other options you get with Limited model: Fog lamps, chrome grille insert instead of monochrome, chrome insert in door moldings, different alloy wheels, brushed aluminum inserts in the console and rear HVAC controls,and colour matched wheel moldings. I'm not sure whether rear spoiler is an option. There may be some other things I am missing.

P.S. I am the proud owner of a 4WD SR5 in Silver Sky.
  • toedoctoedoc Posts: 1
    I can't believe the misinformation on this message board!I am a Toyota owner since 1975. Five different cars with each well over 100,000 miles,I'll elaborate on each later. Just took delivery on a 2001 SR5 1 week ago THIS THING IS AWESOME !!!!! All the complaints about ticks ,vibrations ,noises, blah blah blah .... are BOGUS!!! Dare I say it again THIS THING IS AWESOME DO NOT HESITATE TO BUY !!!!! To traveling 101 Keep the Previa and buy the Sequoia. have a 1995 Previa S/C 85,000 miles and it has never been to the shop for other than routine maintenance Later..
  • rruck1rruck1 Posts: 91
    I purchased my Sequoia just before Christmas and I love it. I had a 1996 Nissan Quest before this and was pretty happy with it, but needed more room and wanted 4WD capabilities.

Traveling101 - In terms of safety, you are probably better off with the Sequoia if you will be doing any amount of traveling in snow and ice. Of course this is only true if you know the limitations of the vehicle and what benefits you really get from 4WD. You do need to drive this differently than a car as stopping distances are usually more in a truck this size.
    For us there was no comparison between our minivan and the Sequoia in terms of space. More room for everyone and more room for all our stuff. The Quest is much smaller than the Previa I guess. The ride in the Sequoia is great! Initially it felt 'big' to drive, but that passed quickly. You will lose a few MPGs, but it's worth it.
  • rruck1rruck1 Posts: 91
    Anyone else experienced this?
    I posted about a month ago that the handle used to tumble the middle passenger side seat forward broke off in my hand under moderate pressure. It was bitterly cold out at the time, but I was still amazed that this happened. I contacted my local Toyota dealer, who got the part in 2 days (very good news for anyone concerned about parts availability). I also called my sales person - different dealership- who had not heard of this before. Well, I just got an email from him saying that another owner had he same thing happen 2 hours after they picked up their Sequoia!
    This was a minor annoyance at most and would not have changed my mind about purchasing the Sequoia, but I figured if enough people had the problem Toyota might come up with a better/stronger design for the handle.
    Has anyone else had this happen?
  • We have both a '91 Previa AWD Minivan (yes, the one rated 1 for safety), and a 2001 Sequoia 4WD SR5. Realizing that 10 years really makes a difference, and some of these comments wouldn't apply to a 2001 Sienna, here are some observations for posters wondering about difference.

The Sequoia is fundamentally a rugged, truck with a station wagon body. It has a frame with metal skid plates. The Previa is a fundamentally a car with a rather unique van body. It has a unibody with a plastic transaxle cover. The Previa drives more like a boat - kind of sluggish and vague. The Sequoia drives solid as a rock (notice I didn't say "like a rock"). The Previa scrapes it's tires on the wheel wells with a full load and a boat trailer. The towing capacity is very limited. The Sequia doesn't notice the load is there and could tow another Sequoia.

The Previa is longer inside (over 12' gas pedal to inside tailgate), and higher (the floor is much closer to the pavement), so it has more room. It isn't a big step up to get into, and you can walk in it. It has second row captain's chairs, with a walk space between. It holds 7 plus some cargo, as long as they don't weigh too much. The Sequoia is much higher from the driver's position, but does not feel that big once you get in the vehicle (you must be willing to climb). It seats eight (full size) people plus some cargo, but you have to tumble the decond seat to get into the third seat.

You can fold up the third seat in the Previa (or remove it with a wrench), but not the second seat. In the Sequoia, you can tumble all but the front seats (the rear's remove with a lever), and you can put 4x8 plywood inside.

The safety of the '91 Previa speaks for itself. The Sequoia is has virtually every safety feature known to man, including side curtain airbags. It has a higher center of gravity, but also has VSC.

The Previa gets between 20 and 25 mpg. The Sequoia gets between 14 and 17 so far. The passing acceleration in the Previa is really marginal (especially when loaded or towing a boat). The Sequoia is pretty quick for a big vehicle.

That's probably enough for now. If there are specific questions, please ask. By the way, if I had a choice between a 2001 Sequoia and a 2001 Sienna (or MDX or highlander), which would I pick? The Sequoia 10 times out of 10. It's a great vehicle if you need a large, rugged, capable vehicle that has all the niceties and is safe.
  • Thanks for responding! I do have more specific questions. I am the other person who posted the question of the comparision (#792) and I am comparing a 2001 minivan -- either the Honda Odyssey or Chrysler Town and Country -- to the Sequoia. I have driven T&C's for 10 years and never a truck. I am worried about the safety of the Sequoia. Really worried about rolling.

However, I do think the braking, VSC, curtain airbags and weight of the Sequoia are safety advantages over the minivans. Also, I like the fact that riding higher raises the crash zone above the fenders of most other vehicles and that the structure itself seems to be sturdier in a crash than a minivan would be.

The disadvantages are poorer visibility (I think there are bigger "blind spots" in the sequoia) and the 10 inch ground clearance (roll-ability?)The minivans have much less ground clearance and I feel like they would be less likely to roll. I realize the Sequoia has superb stabalization mechanics, but does that make up for, or surpass the design of the lower-riding vehicles?

I realize that I will have to learn how to handle the driving difference, going to a truck and to 4WD, but I can't anticipate how difficult that may or may not be for me.

Overall, I just would like to know which vehicle type is safer for me. Family of 4, mostly suburban living, with frequent road trips 1 - 3 day's driving distances. But no off-road or towing in our future.