Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Any opinions on the Gold Coverage of the Toyota Extra-Care Warranty? I can buy the $0 deductible for $1080. It does exclude many things from the platinum warranty. Is this worth it?
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    My advice is to call several area dealerships. I ended up getting the platinum for around $915 or so plus tax. That price sounds high for lesser coverage. In my search, I found two dealerships that would do the platinum at $100 over for my 2001 SR5 4WD with all options. This was a couple of years ago, so there probably have been some modest price increases since.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    My vehicle is no longer in the factory 3/36 warranty period, so a platinum warranty is not even offered. The best I can get from Toyota is a Gold warranty.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Thanks, aggie1995. I do appreciate your response.

I am planning to buy an LX470 and wondering what my trade-in value on my 2001 SR5 2WD w/60K miles will be at. Terry gave me a ball-park in the low low $17K for dealer trade-in value. Of course he counselled selling it myself for about $20K-ish. So yours gave me additional number to work with.
  • sakssaks Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for confirming this. Your package sounds like what we are looking for (except the DVD). We are planning on having one installed after market. I've heard you can't run the Nav and a movie at the same time. Is this correct?

How much was your price, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    OAC - came close to trading my '01 SR5 4WD (sunroof, 6CD, leather, etc.) in August 2004. At the time, I had 78K miles on it and the best I could get on trade-in was $17,500, which I thought was about $2,000 short. If the vehicle is in good shape and you have pretty good service records, etc., selling thru the paper may not be a bad way to go, expecially since your miles are fairly low. I would run the trade-in value on KBB.com and rate it good, then excellent condition. The average of those two values should be a decent indicator of what they might eventually accept on the trade. Don't be surprised if the dealer trys to low ball starting just under good, though.
  • kouserkouser Member Posts: 7
    I bought also SR5 with all options except NAV and

DVD for 35500 im dec 04

Can you tell how much you paid just to get a idea

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments. My truck's condition can be described as "Fair" due to a few nicks and scrapes after 4+ years of ownership. No dents tho', just normal wear and tear. I'll be happy to see $18K from the dealer and $20K from the buying public. If the spread is about $2K I may just give it to the dealer, but if the spread is larger, I'll sell it myself.
  • hinkhink Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2004 Sequoia Limited. Each side rail indicates a maximum load of 150lbs. Our hard-sided box that we carried on our GMC Surburban weighs 135lbs. I find it hard to believe that I can only put 150lbs up there. Does anyone know if that is 150/rail? Does anyone have experience carrying more weight? Why do these SUVs only allow for such a small amount of weight up top?

Thanks for your help!
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone know when the New Model of the Sequoia is coming out... 2006 or 2007? Where can I see a picture of the future Sequoia?
  • snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    I almost traded my 2001 Sequoia SR5 (2WD) with 65k miles in January. The dealer wouldn't budge off $16,000. He said most dealers base their estimates off Mannheim (sp?). He rated my Sequoia in good condition.
  • ibmindlessibmindless Member Posts: 62
    $42,747
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Most of the roof racks I've seen (Ford, Chevy, and Toyota) all have the same sticker either on the rack itself or clearly stated in the owners manual. Liability is the reason. Put 150 to 200 lbs at the worst possible place from center of gravity and have to make an emergency manuever and you greatlt increase the risk of rollover. Try rocking your truck (pick any SUV) by pushing somewhere low like where the doors latch (about the same height as wher you would load inside) and then grab the roof rack rail and try it again.
  • jpwalshjpwalsh Member Posts: 2
    The 750.00 rebate is correct for the 05
  • jpwalshjpwalsh Member Posts: 2
    The remote will not close the rear window. Think itb a safety issue.
    My 2001 SR5 4WD is approaching 90K miles and I have decided that I will keep the vehicle a couple more years and am brainstorming for necessary preventative maintenance items. Does anyone have a quick checklist of major maintenance items that are must or preferred dos at this interval. I have had the 30K and 60K services at the dealership before, but wondered if I could get by with a scaled-down (less expensive) 30K service.

One item that is likely a must at this point is timing belt/water pump replacement. If anyone has had this done yet, what should I expect to pay. Any comments would be appreciated.
    On my 98K miles 1999 LS400, the 90K miles service cost me $1300. That included water pump and timing belt replacement, plus the spark plugs, air filter, and other fluff they throw in to justify their rip-off charges. This is not really apples-to-apples, but a top-end range for the Sequoia, since the LS service costs more than the Toyota.

Question is: Have you driven your Sequoia hard, or have you babied it ? If babied, you may get by with a scaled down 30K mile service at 90K miles, and look to spending the most money at 120K mile service. However, if your Seq has been driven hard, start adding, as Terry (RRoyce on Real world Trade-in Forum) would say.

:)
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I do not think that the limited towing capacity of the Sequoia is due to a lack of engine power.

It could be the suspension - hard to have a soft smooth ride and also tow 7,000 pounds. I would guess 99% of Sequoia buyers care more about a soft ride than they do about towing 7,000 pounds.

The limit could also be due to the tranny or brakes. I think some of the Sequoia drive line comes from the Tacoma parts bin - the Tacoma has the about the same tow limits as the Sequoia.

Even though the tow limits of the Tahoe are 7,800 pounds I don't think very many people would want to use the Tahoe to tow this much weight on a regular basis. Plus if you plan to tow more than 5,000 pounds you really need to use a weight distributing hitch.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    New to this forum but have been on several others, before I make another mistake in buying the wrong car I am going to beat this "what kind of car to get" to the ground. I have a 2004 GMC Yukon (have had nothing but trouble and has no lumbar lumbar support for my back). So I am looking at Sequoia, Odyessy and Pilot, Pilot will probably not work out because I have 3 kids and 80 lb dog that sometimes goes with us on trips. (even though many people have said a pilot would be fine). Anyway, I am just wanting to know people's overall opinion on this vehicle, comfort level (I am in the car ALOT), it seems higher off the ground than the GMC and wondering if people find it a pain to get in and out or is it o.k. I am average height 5'7". THx in advance.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    Allison, I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the Yukon. I had a 2002 Yukon which I leased and when the lease ended, I switched to a Sequoia. The thing is, I really enjoyed the Yukon a lot and didn't have one problem in 3 years (except for a weird squeak coming from the passenger-side dashboard.) Anyway, I really like the Sequoia (got the SR5 4 wheel drive with leather). I would have to say that the Yukon seats seemed bigger and more comfortable to me, but I quickly got used to the Sequoia seats although we haven't taken it on a long trip yet. I don't really pay attention to lumbar support so maybe someone else can answer that question. Anyway, if you have 3 kids and a dog, I wouldn't think the Pilot would work as well for you. I think the Sequoia or Odyssey would be great in your situation. To be honest, even though I love having an SUV, sometimes it seems like a van might be more covenient. Good luck!
  • gedmundscgedmundsc Member Posts: 29
    My parking brake light starting coming on and would periodically go out, Then it started staying on continuously. Then the vehicle skid control and traction control light are now coming on and staying on.

Is there any recalls out on this. I have 71K miles on my 2001 Sequoia 4wd. The system is actually off, I tried it on a snow covered road and it did not kick in. When the engine is warm and I restart the engine, the lights will go out and the system will perform accordingly. However the lights eventually come back on an the system is off again.

yes i tried turning the 4wd VSC on and off, but it has no effect. I am getting ready to take it in for the 75k check up,but would like to know if there are any service bulletins out on this. It appears to be a loose connection.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    your brake fluid....

gedmundsc.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the input, it always help to have other people give opinions even if it's not what you want to hear but your opionion helped. It's is weird that the Yukon is not comfy, (though it's not as bad as it was in he beginning) but the seats in Yukon as soft and big as they are they get a little too soft and my back gets really tired in it easily. Have tried back supports for seats etc but has only worked o.k. in some. Our biggest worry is whether I am going to be able to afford the Sequoia after just getting yukon a little less than a year ago on a buy. I know I will lose out some..My yukon has been in the shop for this and that nothing really major but a lot of little things adding up. Thankgoodness for warranty. I do like the new Sequoia's with 2nd row captains chairs (my friend's friend just got one) but I think it's top of the line one and $$$.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    With three kids and a dog, I'd get either the van or the Sequoia with regular bench second row. The second row captains are nice but you will ALWAYS need the third row for one of the kids which will definitely limit your available space. My friend has a Suburban with the second row buckets and hates it. His three are always fighting because they don't want to be in the 3rd row. Another option if your looking for the "comfort" for you is too pick up a Recaro seat, pricey yes at about $700-1000, but comfort, support and adjustability are second to none. They have a couple different styles (leather, cloth, electric tilt, heat, ventilation fan, armrests, larger shoulder support, etc.) Be warned, once you sit in one for a trip you can't go back to the stock POS's. Sleeping comfort no, their made to position you for a comfortable drive.
  • gedmundscgedmundsc Member Posts: 29
    Thanks, it was low, little disconcerting seeing I bring it in every 5K for servicing and nobody caught it. It was at the min line. The problem immediately went away once I topped it off as you advised.

Now one more, while coming down a mountain last year, once the brakes heated up the whole front end of the truck started vibrating really hard, like the disc's were warped or something. I was really concerned because i had to tow the camper down that same mountain. It turned out, the electronic brakes on the camper, softened the vibration. Could this possibly been linked to low brake fluid. I don't recall if we had the brake light coming on back then. The brake pads had recently been replaced by the dealer. Any thoughts?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Could that have been the ABS?

Braking with a trailer load on the rear, and downhill to boot, will tend to raise the front wheels from the roadbed. Front brakes otherwise carry over 70% of the braking "load".

"lifting" the front wheels from the roadbed will result in quicker braking action since there is less roadbed friction to keep them rolling. My guess is that what you experienced is the on-and-off cycling of the brakes in anti-lock mode.

Conversely when you applied the trailer brakes mode heavily that action probably added some of the weight back to the front wheels and with the added traction no anti-lock was needed.

Generally when brake pads are replaced that results in a surplus of fluid in the reservoir. New pad thickness pushes the pistons farther back into the caliper forcing a lot the fluid back into the reservoir.

Under the circumstances I think I would check the vehicle quite thoroughly for brake fluid leaks and if none are found I would have a heart to heart with whosomeever replaced those pads.

Absent a satisfactory explanation I would have my vehicle serviced elsewhere.

Just one more reason why I became a DIY'r.
  • jelhz43njelhz43n Member Posts: 44
    Thanks Wwest! My 2001 Sienna van was showing the same symptoms. I had called the service center of Toyota dealer where I take the Van for service. I was told that it is because of temperature!
    Yesterday, I topped off the brake fluid( It was less than minimum) and no more brake, trac off , VSC off lights!
    Thanks again and I love these forums for problem solving !!

I better start checking the fluid levels after every oil change as the dealer claims to top off the fluids during oil change.

John
  • 1richsuv1richsuv Member Posts: 3
    OH MY GOD!! I thought I was craazy. I also own a 2004 seqouia and I have the same problem. I got a 4 wheel alignment and the problem stopped for a few weeks and its back again. The dealer is suggesting also its the tires. I have been reluctant to change the tires because they are still in pretty good shape. Yeah!! This maybe a Toyota issue.
  • tbdallastbdallas Member Posts: 2
    2005 limited white with 856 miles
    everything but DVD, middle seat center console and rear spoiler but has $2,300 custom wheels

Sticker 46,900, Dealer said invoice was 41,075

Offer to us $1,000 down
    $639/month for 48 months
    15k miles per year
    no other cost/charges

Pushed us hard for this one white model (last one on lot). We want silver but none at this dealer. Should we pass and find the silver or jump on this one because of the deal?? Great, good, average or bad deal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Toyota Sequoia: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion - maybe there are some other recent deals to compare yours too.

Steve, Host
  • hrghrg Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Sequoia 4WD has about 12,000 miles on it and I have an "interesting " problem:

Last Thursday, while driving in city conditions, the vehicle began to shake and emit a loud metallic "clanking" sound - rather like a lug nut loose in a hubcap - My immediate reaction was that I had blown a tire - as I slowed to a stop, the noise slowed, reinforcing my initial impression. I got out and found all four tires in good order. Since I was only a few miles from my dealer, I decided to try and drive, slowly, to the service department. I started up - noise and shaking gone! I drove on a bit - nothing - and then decided that i had picked up a rock or piece of debris in a tire and it had been thrown off.

The same thing happened on Saturday under similar (city driving) conditions. After stopping, I drove uneventfully to the dealership.

Thus far, they have found nothing - no stored codes and no apparent problem seen on inspection nor have they been able to duplicate the problem.

Any suggestions?
  • fishcar1fishcar1 Member Posts: 3
    I've heard that sound! I'll bet you started driving with the parking brake on... I have done that a few times, and it feels/sounds just as you describe... shaking and a noise like a lug nut has come off.

With me, it usually has occurred after someone else has driven my car, and parked w/o setting the parking brake. By habit, I kick the brake off just before starting to roll. If the brake wasn't set to begin with, I end up kicking it on w/o realizing it.
  • happycchappycc Member Posts: 4
    We are a possible sequoia buyer.
    We currently own a Dodge Grand Caravan 98 and a Toyota Corolla Station Wagon 95.
    Our Dodge just caught on fire last week due to electrical problems. Sigh!
    Ok prior to that I owned an 82 Toyota Supra that was running just fine in 1994. I have been happy with the Toyota but the vibrating problem is a pain. I have had vibrating problems with all of my Toyota vehicles.
    We are a family of 5 living in the Bay Area East Bay CA. We have two dogs. We are planning on going on more camping trips and ski trips in the future as well as owning a horse (for my young daughter-she is 7yrs) and getting an airstream and traveling (for my husband).
    We have test drove an Odyssey, Pilot, Sienna, and Sequoia. And "looked" at a Highlander.
    We liked the Sequoia the best. The kids were comfortable in the back-their legs weren't squished like in the Pilot. The visability was good for me than the Odyssey. I am short. The seat felt more comfortable for my back than the Odyssey and Sienna.
    I want to know whether or not Sequoia 2005 SR5 2wd can safely tow a horse trailer (one horse) and if so what extras should we have the dealer install prior to taking it. We are going to do this purchase online.
    By the way do NOT go to the Dublin, CA Toyota dealership. They were rude and pushy. We have been there several times now and it is the same old same old attitude. We wanted to test drive and boy did they give a stink about that.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    I'm towing a 24' travel trailer with my 2002 Sequoia very nicely! You'll need a weight distribution hitch( http://www.equalizerhitch.com ) and good brake controller (Prodigy) to keep it all under control, but the Sequoia is quite capable. Have the (st)ealer install nothing and go to a reputable hitch installer. All you need to do is make sure you have the towing option on the Sequoia.
  • cybercyber Member Posts: 1
    I am also a potential Sequoia buyer. Would buy now but I have heard that the Sequoia is close to a complete redesign for 2006 with similar mechanicals but new body design and wider choice of colors. Any confirmation?
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I also tow a travel trailer (22 foot at 6,200lbs)no problem with the right equipment that cyber identified. I have been towing the trailer since I got the seq in 2001. You just need to replace the differencial fluid nore often (5,000 miles) when you tow often. This is identified in the owners manual.

I am also waiting to see whats new in '06. I may trade mine in as it has almost 90,000 miles on it.
    Thank you radboy and petro for the 411.
    I am also wondering if 4x4 is necessary to tow? Ok would you say horse trailers are heavier than the travel trailers? What travel trailers do you have? We are thinking of airstream.

Carolyn
    yes I would love to speak with you in person. what is the best way to do this?
    Carolyn
    If a member wants to be contacted by email they can mark their address public in their profile Click on a member name to get to the profile.

Our discussions are indexed by the search engines, so if you post email addresses in your message, you'll be targeted by spammers or worse.

Profiles aren't indexed and the information in their is more difficult to access by spam-bots.

Steve, Host
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    No need for a 4x4, rear wheel drive is best (at least thats what I have read). We tow a Komfort, just a big box that blocks the wind. I think that a horse trailer in general would be lighter (foot for foot) than a travel trailer)

In CA the speed limit is 55 for vehicles pulling trailers but other states vary. A few years ago we took a trip to Yellowstone from CA and many of the states had different limits. I found no problem at the higher speeds.

As was said before an weight distribution hitch is a must and a sway bar is nice, but I don't use mine. I found it too restrictive once I learned how to pull a trailer without one.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Petro is correct in that 4x4 actually reduces your towing capacity due to the weight of the additional hardware. However, I cannot stress enough the need for sway control in SAFELY towing a camper or horse trailer. Today's sway control devices, with the Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam, are not restrictive in ANY manner except in controlling sway which can kill you on the highway. If you've got the money, you could opt for a Hensley Arrow hitch.
    I believe the new Sequoia is not due here until the MY2007 release. So if you are waiting, you'd have to wait 18 months for the re-design. I have an '01 as well that still rocks. Only has 61K miles. Rides as good as brand spanking new. The Sequoia is generally a nice truck, if you like heavy 1-ton machines rumbling down the highway, preferably behind (not in front) of you. My wife does (she owns the Seq). Me, I plead the 5th !

:)
  • shone0405shone0405 Member Posts: 4
    I want to buy Sequioa, but I can not decide which driving system I have to choose. Is REAR 2 wheel drive with traction control good enough to drive winter snowing weather? or do I have to go with 4 wheel drive? I do not want to spend more money for unnecessary option that could cost even more when it has problem. Does anybody who lives in a long winter region drive 2 wheel drive? I live in Kansas.
    I will appreciate your suggestion.
  • shinerbirk007shinerbirk007 Member Posts: 1
    Any clue as to why a rear window wiper would just stop working? It just stopped working this past weekend.

I hate to take it to the dealership if it's possibly something simple and easy to correct.

Any info would be much welcomed!!

KD
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    First check to see if your rear window defogger is working. If it is not lower your rear hatch window, and then raise it all the way up. This may do the trick. If that window is open at all both things will not work. Good Luck!
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Also, check the fuse. If its not connected to the front wipers, the fuse may be blown.
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Ok, this is less a Sequoia question than a general question, but it does deal with gas in my Sequoia so I'll try this forum.

I live in the northwest where inexplicably Arco gas is about 10 cents a gallon less than the next cheapest gas. I hear lots of people claim they won't put Arco in their car but they don't give any tangible reason why. I think they just assume that since it's cheap, it must be bad. Is the oil industry regulated to the point where gas from one company is essentially the same as gas from another? I mean, 87 octane is 87 octane right?
    There's more info in the What about fuel types & gas mileage? discussion. I haven't used Arco since I moved 5 years ago but it worked ok for me. I hardly ever carry cash though and they didn't take credit cards (maybe that's another reason why it's cheaper?).

Steve, Host
  • grahamjames10grahamjames10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Shone0405
    Well to make a long story very short
    I had a SEQ 2WD and Tundra 2WD both 01
    Don't go there if you run into snow more then twice a year. The REAR end is WAY TOO LIGHT
    I changed this year to 2005 SEQ Lmt - Fantastic -4x4 saved me greatly. Remember though - you know have 4 wheels spinning! as a Firefighter - we pull 100 4 wheel drives to 1 two wheel drive!!!
    just a friendly reminder ;o)
  • shone0405shone0405 Member Posts: 4
    Hello grahamjames10,

After I posting here, I was thinking I better go with 4x4 for family safety. Thank you very much for your kind answer! And I will keep in mind that stat (Wow?!), too.