Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Is this rattle noise of the lifters mainly when you first start it? If so, that's very, very common of the current generation GM Vortec V8 truck engines. Some earlier years (approx. '99-'02) seem to be more prone, especially since GM changed the design of something inside the engine for '03 to eliminate the noise--not sure if it worked 100% though.

This noise shouldn't last for more than about 5 or so seconds when it's first started up, particularly when cold, but any longer and at any other time but idle then you might actually have a problem that needs attention.
  • jonnyb1jonnyb1 Posts: 32
    you can get the maintenance list from here on edmunds.

The infamous "klunk" occurs when making a slow turn (like pulling into a driveway) and you feel the steering wheel kinda go "klunk klunk klunk" that is the best I can describe it.

The dealer will re-lube the intermediate steering shaft. They also must tighten it too as your steering will feel tighter after they do it. This is a warranty fix, not sure how much $ to fix it when not covered. I had mine done right after I bought my truck used, the previous owner probably never noticed it. I notice everything.......

do a search here for "steering clunk" or "steering klunk"
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    My 03 Tahoe LT had this problem and there was a TSB on it. Had to change one of the valves inside the tranny as I recall.
    Sorry to hear about the disdain of the Firestones. I certainly have no reason to defend their record, just answering a previous question with OPINION. For me I was very satisfied, but I have had mine since new and followed a every 5k rotation plan. I certainly am happy enought that I will not be dropping 600-700 on a new set of tires for a new car until these wear out. It appears it should be about 60k when I need them.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I find them just ok. I'm at about 32k miles now and will likely swap them out before winter. I typically don't run tires too low, especially with winter coming. I actually need 4x4 to get home and tires with low tread won't get you anywhere.
  • I love to buy a 2004 Tahoe LT, but when I read their brochure or specs on their website: XM radio, Bose speakers, third row seating and Front row - heated buckets w/ driver memory should be "standard" on the vehicle. When I look online to see a Dealer's inventory these items might not be on the vehicle. Can someone please help me?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,278
    Here's the link:

Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• azorglubazorglub Posts: 43
    Steve, who came up with this guide?

I have a couple issues with it:
      - oil change every 3,000 miles. I just went on GM website, and they recommend every 7500 miles or whenever the light comes on.
      - the HEPA filter cost me $80. You have $22 for parts costs under the 20,000 miles service guide. Either I got ripped off (quite possible) or your cost is off.

BTW, I realized (albeit a bit too late) that Chevy has a very convenient site to keep track of maintenance done to the vehicle.
    The Maintenance Guide blurb says "This Total Estimated Cost includes the preventive maintenance items recommended by Chevrolet."

But sometimes we're wrong (or maybe we put the severe schedule up?). Please fill out a Contact Us form.

In cabin filters for my van run around $55, fwiw.

Steve, Host

• gregtranggregtrang Posts: 11
    I have a 1993 Suburban with several grease points to lube the chasis. In the repair manual it says to put grease in until it is seen bleeding from the seal. Does this mean to put grease in until it pushes through the boot? Or does it mean to do it until it backs up into the grease gun through the fitting. Since I did not quite understand how to tell when the fittings were full, I just put 2 squirts into each one.
  • mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    LT is a package. I've found that many times the Dealer Inventory listings will bring up the LS packages also. The "LT Preferred Package" is where you should look. Those things are not standard on any Tahoe. Under the package it should list the contents.

On the other hand, maybe Chevy did what they did in '03. When I got mine, in January, '03, I had to be careful while looking online because they changed the package contents after 10/02. I could look at a, seemingly, identical Tahoe online and LT package had different items and stand alone items as well.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I was also concerned about Edmunds recommending 3k miles oil changes. I don't think they were using the extreme service schedule, because that also calls for a lot of other fluids (tranny, diffs, transaxle, etc) but those were never listed by Edmunds. In fact, I need to look at my book closer because I was sure the normal schedule called for some of those fluids to be changed at least at some point. I went through Edmunds schedule to 100k miles and they never showed up to be changed at all.

According to my manual, you change the oil when the computer tells you to, not to exceed 12 months. Mine seems to work properly because I've noticed that service intervals are shorter when I've done a lot of towing, particularly in the summer when the temps are higher. With 30k miles on my truck, my average interval is about 5k miles between changes, although I've had it come on under 4k and over 6k. Just depends on how I'm using the vehicle.
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Posts: 95
    I currently have a lease on a Trailblazer LTZ, which I may decide to turn in early under the GM pull ahead program. I have always liked the look of the Z71 Tahoe, and need something a bit bigger than the TB. The incentives on this truck are pretty attractive right now, so there may be an opportunity here.

I'd like to hear from current Z71 owners about ride quality, handling and overall ownership experience before I start pursuing this.

TIA...
    I hope all of you with specific knowledge about your vehicle are using the contact form I posted above for reporting errors on the site. The data people do read them and pay attention to them. Thanks!

Steve, Host

I had a 03 LT Tahoe with 35k miles and recently replaced it with a 04 Z-71. I went from a 2wd to 4wd which accounts for most of my observations.
    Ride: The LT has the Z beat hands down in quiet, smooth ride category. While the Z is still very quiet, my 03 LT was much more so. Obviously going from a primarily Highway vehicle and tread to the tire/tread/suspension set up of the 4wd accounts for most of this.

Looks: Love the Z. More aggressive cladding and sits a little higher than did my 03 2wd. The larger tires fill the wells better also. But the step bar is more difficult to use than was the running board on the plain LT. It doesn't protude as far, and is more difficult to place your foot onto when getting out of the vehicle.

Overall: I have to say this has been the best GM vehicle I have owned. I did have several TSB/tranny/front end issues with my 03, but overall I was still pleased with the performance/package/price that I got for the Tahoe. It isn't the quality that my wifes 00 Toyota Avalon has, but it is much better than any of my previous 4 GM's.
  • sproutsprout Posts: 3
    I just bought an 04 tahoe(got a great deal)LS 5.3, sunroof,Bose system.But I have a noise coming from my windshield at about 60 - 80 mph. Sounds like rain hitting the glass, but its not raining. maybe a loose windshield seal? anybody have this problem?I havent yet been to the dealer,but I have a feeling thats next. Just thought I`d pick yalls brains first:)
    Also does anyone know where to get aftermarket accessories for a 2004 Tahoe that are a good fit. I know lots of companys sell lots of parts, but not alot of them fit very well. any suggestions would be helpful
  • tom213tom213 Posts: 49
    I traded my '02 LT 4WD for a '04 Z-71 and have no regrets. Like the other comment you received on this subject, the ride is not as smooth with the Z-71 compared to the LT, which can be expected. I expected a lot of tire noise with those Goodyear AT/S tires but was pleasantly surprised as there was not much difference at all. The handling is excellent and takes those turning on/off-ramps on the interstate very well. I just don't understand why Chevy didn't include the Auto-Temperature control system (they call it trizone-auto) with the Z-71 package (it's standard with the LT). For some reason it is only available when you equip with the DVD player or sunroof!! Figure that one out!?! I definitely miss that feature. I like all the other extras in the package. I'd recommend it...
  • jspjsp Posts: 4
    last week I traded a 2001 Yukon for a 2004 Yukon. One big problem is the air is not cooling well for the first 15 minutes especially in traffic. My 2001 cooled great all of the time. I took the vehicle into the shop today and they said everything was working to specifications. I am so frustrated with this problem in that Mobile is very hot and humid and I live in a very high traffic area. the dealership let me drive a sierra today and the AC worked great. I cannot believe that this is not fixable. Can anyone help me with this problem. I see where it has been a problem for the 2003 and prior but nothing on the 2004.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    I took my 2003 Yukon in for this problem last week, they found a "bad fan assembly" and had to order 3 parts that just came in today, I won't be able to get it in until Monday but I'll let you know if it fixed the problem. Also, there is a TSB for this problem and it includes installing an electric auxiliary fan.
  • jspjsp Posts: 4
    I talked to GM Customer service and they are saying that there is not a TSB on this problem on a 2004. They said they could not look it up on a 2003 and prior. I am very disappointed in how they are handling this for me. I know it is not acceptable and will take it in until it is fixed or I will file arbitration.
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Posts: 95
    Thanks for the reply, Tom.
    I understand that the ride won't be as smooth as the LT, but can I assume that it will be at least reasonably comfortable on long trips?
  • stump21stump21 Posts: 41
    I just traded in my 2001 SLT Yukon for a new Nissan Titan. At 41,000 miles the Yukon was really starting to feel its age. But for anyone considering purchasing a Yukon, it really is a nice vehicle. The only problems I had were the dreaded piston slap, rotors warped under warranty, and the truck always had a cold start hesitation that the dealer could not remedy. Not to bad for 2-3/4 years of ownership IMHO. Plus, this forum is full of great info and people. See ya!
  • tom213tom213 Posts: 49
    I only have 3000 miles on my Z71 and have not taken a long trip yet. In August I will be making a road trip up to Northern Minnesota (from Oklahoma City) so I'll have more details then. Obviously not soon enough to help in your decision process. I did take a long road trip in the LT last year (OKC to Akron, OH, Chicago and back to OKC) and it was great. By great I mean interior comfort and road handling. I drive I-40 to work every morning (a short distance though) and I think it will be just as comfortable for a long haul. Good luck shopping. It looks like there are some good deals out there...
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    "At 41,000 miles the Yukon was really starting to feel its age."

Wow, that's weird. Our Av has 33k on it now, and is as tight, smooth, quiet, and solid as it was 2 years ago on the first day we had it.

Now that we're trading it for a new '04 Suburban LS 2wd, I hope the same thing is true again.
    Thanks jsp for the links, I will check them out:)
    I took my Yukon in to the dealer to get it fixed after they ordered parts about a week and a half ago(I've stated in different posts). On the previous invoice they stated that they found the fan assembly bad causing the a/c to blow warm air in slow traffic. But they installed an electric fan in front of the radiator. The fan does seem a little on the load side, and its kinda weird hearing a large SUV run with an electric fan. It did seem to fix the problem because I was stuck in traffic on my way home in 110 degree heat without movement for about 15-20 minutes and the air stayed ice cold. While it is loud from the outside you can't tell that the fan is there when you're inside the vehicle.
  • genrelgenrel Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. Does it turn on only when needed, or is it on all the time? Thanks
    The fan is only on when the A/C is on, so its pretty much always on but you can hit the A/C button and the fan turns off with the compressor.