Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• pigfanaticpigfanatic Member Posts: 14
    My son has a 1997 Rodeo, last night he said that on his way to work the volt meter spiked, kicked off his AC. When he tried to turn it back on it would not start back up. After the day at work got in and the AC started up, no problem... Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
  • pigfanaticpigfanatic Member Posts: 14
    After reading post on here, we replaced the alternator. Now it squeals when you first crank it up - or turn on the defroster... The belts are very tight. Will give it another go and try to tighten them up more tonight... any ideas other than being loose that will make them squeal like that?

Thanks,
  • jfiersonjfierson Member Posts: 6
    Having a problem with 6 changer (model 2350) Stuck in a cd and started making noise, then the load and eject buttons started to change the am/fm frequency? radio works. Anyone know how to re-set if possible??
  • anthony2nanthony2n Member Posts: 48
    factory changer is lousy...not much you can do about it. I would replace with aftermarket unit...they're pretty cheap and you can get MP3 capability
  • jwsjws Member Posts: 5
    You can pull the fuse and leave it out for a while. While it is out, you can press the eject button 50 times and when you put the fuse back in, it may work. Sounds crazy but I read it on one of these posts somewhere and it worked for me.

If you decide to go after-market you can either go with a double DIN sized radio which should take up the room your current radio and changer take up. Or you can buy this

http://www.electronicsplaza101.com/electronics/search/res/r778196- 1.html

and use it to fill half the space.

My main objection to putting in an aftermarket radio is that most of them are UGLY and don't match the rest of the dash very well. Plus, I have yet to see an aftermarket radio that has the reception of an OEM radio, especially on AM.

Good Luck!

JWS
    Thanks for the info on the trim kit for the radio/cd changer. I was looking at aftermarket units yesterday, pioneer and JVC and they are single cd units. I was told by the sales guy that I can buy a trim kit from them (best buy). Would you know if theirs fits or is the metra kit better? Thanks, I will try the thing with the fuse. I imagine its like resetting the unit, something that Isuzu and Fujitsu Ten ,the manufacturer said could not be done. They were both willing to take $350 for a replacement or $285 for a repair. Not happening. After 3.5 years and limited play, the unit should not have broken.
    Thanks again
  • jwsjws Member Posts: 5
    Don't know anything about the trim kit at BestBuy but I imagine they are comparable -- probably more expensive but there is the advantage of being able to see and touch it before buying it. Does if have the tray underneath or is it just a panel? I would definitely prefer the tray.

Pulling the fuse and hitting the eject button repeatedly just drains off whatever stored charge the capacitors in the changer may have. You could probably accomplish the same thing by leaving the fuse disconnected overnight.

As far as the single CD vs a changer, if you get a unit that does MP3's and you have a PC, you can put more music on a single 700 MB CD than six conventional CD's will hold. Plus you get artist, title, album info in the MP3 header which the player reads and displays. Like I said before, most of the aftermarket units have a lot of flashing lights and bright colors which IMO don't really blend in with the Rodeo's interior. I guess it's a matter of individual choice.

JWS
    I have had Isuzu SUV's since 1988 and from what I read and with all the dealers that handled it once and no more, it seems that Isuzu may be going away. It really is a shame because over all they made pretty good vehicles and I have always found them to be reliable. It is hard to find a dealer now and this all means that the resale value of the rodeo I now have is going to be plumetting. Really too bad when you look at some of the junk SUV;s on the road today
  • bama_lukebama_luke Member Posts: 27
    I just had the 60,000 mile service done on my 2000 Rodeo LS on Saturday, and yesterday after work I noticed an odd noise. The best I way I can think to describe it is like water being poured into a bowl. The sound seems to be coming from behind the passenger side dashboard. The sound is also intermittent, happening only from a standstill through acceleration to about 20 mph. I can also hear it if I have the car in neutral and rev the engine a little. Lastly, the car has to warm up before the sound starts. It probably takes about 5-10 minutes of driving before it starts. I have not had a chance to get under the hood and try to ID the specific location of the noise yet, but hope to do so tonight. Any thoughts on what it might be would be greatly appreciated.

Luke
  • garodeogarodeo Member Posts: 3
    Just a heads up if you are going to purchase a new Rodeo. I bought mine back in December of 03, and love my Rodeo (except for the terrible gas mileage). I am barely getting 300 miles per tank of gas, and this is highway driving. Dealer said that there was nothing wrong. I would like to find the person who gets 420 miles per tank of gas like it says in the edmunds review.
    Anyhow, with soaring gas prices, thought I would try and trade this thing in for something more fuel efficient. The most I was offered was $12k, and I paid $21k for it, and the sticker was almost $28k. If you buy this car, plan on keeping it for a very long time. In my opinion, pay the extra money and get the Pilot or 4Runner.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are totally different vehicles. Pilot is a mini-van with AWD... 4Runner is 40K+

-mike
  • w4mkw4mk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1993 Rodeo LS 3.2 with PS but the steering is very loose, there seems to be about one inch of free play from left to right when I am driving straight ahead and it is very frustrating to keep moving the wheel this much to keep it in a straight line. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or what it might be? The car has 108,000 miles on it and no front end components have been replaced yet according to the previous owner. Thanks, Mike
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Yes, they are diferent but people who buy them are not. 99% don't buy the Rodeo based on its offroading prowess, they just want a cheap and a decent looking SUV for highway & city driving and there's no reason to deny it. If Isuzu had only sold their trucks to offroad junkies like you they'd be out of business a long time ago.
    Although now I'm just a truck guy, haven't actually offroaded in over a year. Isuzu should just start making Full-size trucks and larger truck-based SUVs that they are good at. Unibody FWD-based SMVs are not their strong suit.

-mike
    They should build larger SUVs but their only hope, D-Max-based, Thai-built truck is still a pie in the sky and might never come to the States :-(

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autowe- ek&cat_code=carnews&content_code=01408743&Search_Type- =STD&Search_ID=2125669&record=13
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I think a diesel version of Rodeo would sell well right now in the U.S. with the current rise in gas prices. I know that overseas, Isuzu has a 3.0L turbocharged diesel available. I see that DC is marketed a diesel Jeep Liberty in the near future.
    A diesel Rodeo would take on the Liberty head on.

but it won't happen. Tis a shame.

-mike
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    I am the orignal owner of a 1999 Rodeo LS with 54k miles. I see alot complaints/problems on here and wanted to say that my Rodeo has never had any problems. It has been a flawless vehicle. The Ford, Honda, and Toyota's I have owned have always given me one problem or another. This vehcile has not even had a fuse burn out. The only complaint I would have is the ride. I've just purchased an Axiom and am sorry to see this vehicle go. Thanks,
  • cricket619cricket619 Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever find out what was making the sound? I'm in the market for a Rodeo and test drove a 1999 yesterday that made a sound like steam escaping a small hole in the same location. It was pretty quiet - only heard it because the radio was off and the windows were closed. Let me know if you find something. Thanks.
    Christine
  • bama_lukebama_luke Member Posts: 27
    I never found it and before I had a chance to try and locate it under the hood, it went away. In my previous car, I had a similar thing happen and it turned out to be caused by a blockage in the AC condensation drain pan (I think that's what it was). Mine's not being drowned out by the radio because thanks to an 18 month old who thought it would be a good idea to store my loose change in the cassette opening, my radio is shorted out and doesn't work. If it was a similar AC issue, I guess the blockage worked itself out.

Luke

PS - My truck is a 2000 LS with about 61,000 miles, and it has been great. Gas mileage isn't too good (approx. 15-16 city and 18-19) highway, but I knew that when I bought it, so I don't consider that a true negative.
  • kduongkduong Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Rodeo LS with 52,000 limes and it has no problem at all. I have the computer reprogram at 30 K to fix the enging ping problem. Since then, I notice the inside of the tail pipe changed from the color of a thin film of carbon to shiny stainless steel. It stays shiny now inside the tail pipe which means the engine is burning very clean. As for the ride, I just change the tires to Michelin Cross-Terrain and four new Tokico Trek Master R/T shocks. The truck is a car now. It ride smooth and quiet. I think it is more quiet and ride softer than the Malibu I have. I can turn the corner faster and the truck does not lean that much. The ride over bump is also softer. I can run over series lane reflectors (on the painted lane marker) and only hear "plomb" sound. Before new shocks and tires, it would shake and jarr the whole truck. I think the ride now is as good or better than the 4thRunner (2001) my sister inlaw have. It also ride smooth to 90 mph w/o any shaking or vibration. You don't really feel it. That is as fast as I would dare to test drive. I have Moroe shock at 10 K miles but not as good as this. If anyone have new tire, I would recommend to have force balance on a Hunter 9700 ( most Discount Tires have). It is important to have force balance performed at 26 psi. I have them did it at 35 psi (the usually pressure that they put in in every tire). When I went home and reduce the pressure to 26 psi, the truck would shake at above 60 mph. I have them re force balance at 26 psi and the guy said all 4 tires are out of balance (at 26 psi). Now it is very smooth. I guess it makes sense since at lower pressure, the sidewall stiffness becomes more important/dominant factor in a force balancing.
  • ag2000ls4wdag2000ls4wd Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 LS 4WD and need to replace a spark plug wire (actually it is the rubber part that comes with the coil assembly) that was damaged during removal. Anybody know if these are available without having to buy the whole coil ($130)? I just need the silly rubber part that connects to the spark plug.
    Gotta buy the whole thing. I believe they are $75 from St. Charles Isuzu.

-mike
  • apriliabobapriliabob Member Posts: 6
    The ABS sensors are at each fron corner and one on the diff. Trace back from each front corner (behind the knuckle you will see a wire) to the first connector. That is what is referred to in the quote you posted. The rear diff sensor is in the middle of the diff. If I remember correctly, the connector is actually on the diff. That too may be cleaned. It does sound like a sensor to me. Usually a more serious ABS problem / light is not intermittent.

Good luck.
    Funny. I have been a member of this board for several years now albeit absent for quite some time. I had my SECOND CD changer take a dump on me within the last week as previously explained - will not eject a CD and makes an electronic sounding 'clunk'. Painful to listen to.

So I figured I'd look and see if there was anyone else and...first page. Great. My Rodeo is an '01 LS with just under 36k on it. I think the CD changer was replaced at 15k or so. What I don't know is how long a replaced part is covered for. Anyone? I'm going to call Isuzu today or tomorrow. My hopes are not high though as the vehicle is now 39 months old and out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Its possible that I can get a 'courtesy' fix since it close to warranty coverage and is the second unit.

We'll see I guess.
    Any revelations since last discussed on page 53/54? I'm going to try the Fuel Injection cleaner this week. Mine is knocking at any and all rpm's when given any amount of throttle...BAD. Would this not be part of the powertrain warranty if its something that can be fixed?
    Interestingly, my cd changer came back last week on its own. I tried the fix where I pulled the fuse and left it out for a long while and pressed the eject button, nothing happened. Oddly, sitting in traffic last week, just decided to press the load button, sure enough the load light came on, then I pressed eject and my cd popped out. Feeling braver, I put an old cd in and the player took it and played it. Is it temporary? who knows.
    As far as Isuzu coming up with something for you, I have not had great success with them in the past and it seems that now, with the dealer network shrinking, well, you know where I am going. I just purchased my Isuzu coming off lease as I was way over on the mileage. I am sorry to say that I am probably going to look to sell it right away as I dont have a great feeling for the future of the product in the States and the resale isnt going down. Good luck with the CD changer
    I wonder if the Isuzu brand will be the next Daewoo. Probably not to that degree because the Rodeo is 'somewhat' popular and had been their best vehicle for sales. At the moment, I too am considerring dumping mine. But its an '01 with 35k miles and we only have about 1.5 years left on the 0% finance carrot. I am also considdering driving it into the ground since we have a dealer local to us that will be around for a while.

As far as the radio, I think I will be told to pound sand. The dealer said regardless of replacement date that my cd-changer is only covered for the original 3yr-50k period. It appears that they replaced the known bad radio with another known bad radio (read: not a 'fixed' or different setup). Great. Tiem to probably go aftermarket. And hey, that unit might make a nice piece for the garage stereo! Still, its a joke IMO.
    If anyone comes across one in their travels, I miss my '97 and figured I'd see if there were any floating around, so keep your eyes peeled.

-mike
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Mike,
    A quick check using getauto revealed a green '97 LS 4wd auto w/ 62k in Orchard Park.
    I think that the Isuzu name is probably close to Daewoo already. resale is lousy and the fact that Isuzu is losing dealers all over the place and has not come up with any new product to me says that they are giving up on the US market place. It is too bad really. I have had 2 troopers and drove them both well over 100K. Reliable and well priced. I guess they just dont see a furure here, too bad they made a decent product, except for the cd changers
  • bgolemobgolemo Member Posts: 1
    I own an 1997 ISUZU 3.2L and I am really disappointed with the miles per gallon. In the city I am getting about 12 MPG and on the highway about 15 MPG. Can anyone help me out with their thoughts? It runs really smooth and is well maintained. I do not have 4-wheel drive, winter, or power modes engaged. Any one having similier problems and if so what have you found out?

Thanks A LOT

BGOLEMO
    BGOLEMO3@COMCAST.NET
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Do you have a roof rack or any mods? each mod could cut 1 MPG off per change, making a 15/19 vehicle run 12/15. I have a 1999 Trooper with very similar mileage. If I drive it easy I get 11-12 around town. Just plain blows. I had the EGR and PCV valve cleaned, am careful about maintence, fuel injector cleaners, etc. I have added tires, roof rack and bull bar, so I assume those changes are keeping me in the cellar. Some people have changed spark plugs with moderate success.
  • hemsley1hemsley1 Member Posts: 21
    i just got a 99 isuzu,and it gets about 12mpg...it's pathetic. If i'm driving and let off the gas it does not coast, it starts to slow down immediately as if there is something slowing it down. does anyone else have this feeling or problem when they are driving. maybe there is something going on with the transmission, i dont't know. if anyone has any recomendations i would appreciate it. i don't have any mods or roof rack
    I am not sure what trans the Rodeo has, but the GM transmission in the trooper has a "feature" where it doesn't shift-up at the same speed points until the fluid has reached a specific internal temperature. I have a very short commute so the first 1/3 of the way I have the same issue.

If this is all the time, then perhaps there is a problem with the truck going into overdrive or your highest gear? If I keep my truck in "3" as opposed to "D" I experience the same thing too. Maybe there is a shifting problem? Can you count the upshifts and verify that you are getting to the highest gear?
  • garodeogarodeo Member Posts: 3
    I have been having the same problem with my 03. I went to the pump yesterday and filled up, as I was below E. I filled all the way up, and only put in 15.2 gallons. The tank holds 19.5, which tells me that the sending unit is bad. Called the dealer and she said the sending units were notorius for going bad. That could be your problem. Once I get it checked I will let you know.
    On these trucks is heavily effected by your speed. Under 65mph on the highway you can get the MPG that is advertised, in city with a light foot you are fine. Start hammering the gas a bit to get these rather heavy TRUCKs moving, and you'll drop your MPG quickly. In the same respect over 65mph and you'll see a nose dive in MPG. Remember the ratings are taken on a dyno with no wind resistance at 55mph.

-mike
  • jdudleyjdudley Member Posts: 3
    ADVICE NEEDED:
    I have an opportunity to sell my '95 Isuzu Rodeo for the same price my friend will sell me his '96 Jeep Cherokee. Should I do it? (details below)
    '95 Isuzu Rodeo: 89k miles, in good condition, will need new tires soon, several minor things wrong.
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 130k miles, in mint condition, no problems.

You see my dilemma. The Jeep has many more miles (all highway), but is in much better shape than the Rodeo. Which one would you keep?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    garodeo, I noticed the same thing with my fuel gauge showing below empty and I can only squese 15.5 gal (I think the tank is around 18 gal or so). Did you take it to get fixed? Does it need to be fixed?

One more problem that I wanted to ask everybody is that starting about a month ago the CE light would go off when I fall below empty on the gauge. I know I have plenty of gas in the tank as, as I already mentioned, I can fit only about 15.5 gal. So, lack of gas shouldn't be the problem. The light goes away after I fill up and drive for about 30 min to an hour or so. Since it's not the first time i fall below empty, that kinda bothers me. The truck has 54K mi and I think it first started at about 51-52K mi (right after the end of manufacturer's warranty, of course). My only guess is that over the period of 3 years (it's '01), there's been a decent amount of water and other stuff accumulated on the bottom of the tank. However, with about 3 gal left it doesn't seem reasonable.

Anybody had the same problems or heard of anything like that?
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    I've never been able to squeeze more than 16gal in my 2002 LS 4x4, even when it's below empty w/ the low fuel light on steady. Gauge needle has always tracked normally. Only have 25K miles on it though. Isuzu says it's a 19gal tank. From what you describe, your fuel gauge seems to be tracking normally, so the CEL is probably not fuel sending unit related. It may be an EVAP system code. Have to read the code to find out for sure.
    G/luck
    Joel
    Try buying a new gas cap. That clicking you hear when you turn it is like a spring loaded pressure vent. Perhaps it isn't regulating the pressure correctly when you are low on fuel. If it goes away on fill-up, it sounds like a gas cap issue.
    Thank you for your responses! I'll try reading the code next time it happens. I think AutoZone will do that for no charge.

Also, do I have to read it when the light is on or it remembers it and I can stop by any time to do that?

If that doesn't tell me anything, I'll try new cap. This one still feels pretty tight and clicks like new so I didn't think it was defective.
    They will read it for free. Unfortunately the "evap" error code, I think "440"? Doesn't tell you much. If it re-occurs then you probably need to get your emissions checked. I think the CEL really only reports emissions/intake issues, not real engine problems.

I am notnot sure if they can get the code when the light is out? If it goes out on its own it might still be in memory?

Mine has come on twice in the last 2 months, the first time I went to autozone and they guy said it could be from anything (a bit of dirt/leaf bit being sucked into the engine, loose gas cap?), my air filter was a little dirty so I replaced it at the time. It came on again a few weeks later and I unplugged the battery for 10 minutes to clear it and it didn't come back.

Big scam if you ask me...for the most part you get a CEL, go to the dealer, spend $50 bucks, get told "eh, probably nothing, but we maybe we should change your oil, filters, etc" and then are out another 30 bucks. I would stick with having the free autozone check and only get something done if the performance/mileage drops off.
    Thanks!

I'll call Autozone and ask them what they think about it. Also, I migt try to replace the cap and wait till the gauge shows empty again...
  • tta51tta51 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into purchasing a 2004 Rodeo. Just basic RWD and Preferred Equipment Package 2WD, This basic class of transportation that I'm in the market to buy. Pricing is very attractive. Can you please post your pros and cons as an owner of a Rodeo?

In addition, when is the 2005 available to the market (August)? A sales man told in somewhere in October to November. I don't believe him.

Finally, do you think that Isuzu can offer better than the $6500 that is being offer at this point as they approach closer to 2005 model coming into the market?
    Is notorious for being late. IIRC a few years back they didn't hit dealers til Dec or Jan.

It all depends how quickly the 04s sell out before the 05s will be released from the storage facilities.

-mike
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    You will want to read this article. Found the pointer in the "Isuzu pulling out of Canada? Maybe the US too" discussion. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-04-20-isuzu_x.htm

Rodeo production stops July 23rd.

There will ONLY be the Ascender 5 & 7 passenger until the 2007 model year. In 2007 Isuzu plans to be completely free of GM and bring a new, completely ISUZU vehicle to the US.
    No more Rodeos and Axioms will EVER be produced in 30 days :-(

$6500 is as low as I've ever seen it (remember that $1K of that is the loyalty rebate). Start with invoice minus the rebate - that's an excellent price and you should get a nice Rodeo while there are still trucks to choose from.

BTW, dumbass salesmen at Horton Atlanta told me that 2003 Troopers were stuck at seaports so I needed to buy my 2002 ASAP and for something close to the MSRP I think. I bought my new 2002 LS at 10K off the MSRP the same day at another dealership and we all knew these were the last Troopers off the boat... Those stupid bastards went under the same year and my Trooper is the best vehicle I've ever had.