Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• waldo3waldo3 Member Posts: 4
    Ihave a 1998 Izuzu Rodeo 130,000 plus miles. My car wasidiling high and running hot. I had the termostat rreplaced (pricey). but it still is doing the same things.
    I have to piut fluid in the radiator every few days. Could by engine be going or is it gone.

Any suggestions will help.
  • anthony2nanthony2n Member Posts: 48
    Are there any obvious coolant leaks? Any signs of coolant in the oil? burning out the exhaust? Try to figure out where the coolant is going. Have a mechanic do a cylinder leak down test to check for leaks in the engine. BTW, the thermostat is a 30 dollar part and takes 10 minutes to replace on this engine.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Does anyone have experience with replacing the rear brakes? I have a 2001 V6 LS 2WD A/T Rodeo with 55K miles on it. The rear brakes were squealing and had them checked and replaced. The small shop ordered Thermoquiet Warner brake shoes from O'Reilly. They installed shoes but the drum would not fit over the new brake shoes. They ordered another set and still the same issue. The shop said it was a common issue with the Isuzu Rodeos with aftermarket brake parts. It that true? They even said other auto parts store brake shoes would have the same issue....??

Shop said only Dealer parts will fit right...?? He is charging $55 labor plus parts for rear brakes and only $30 labor for front brake pads plus parts. Is that fair?
  • rcusimanorcusimano Member Posts: 4
    working on a '94 Honda Passport and that was having transmission problems. Not shifting gears while driving. After advice, i decided to change the solenoids. My questions are, what is the name of the plate that solenoids plug into? Also when i pulled this plate off i notice a chipped piece of metal in one of the groves next to a shaft that comes off one the solenoids. The chipped piece does not come into contact with the shaft but problem affect fluid pressure in that part. Does this plate have to be replaced? Als, the gaskets above and below this plate appear to be sorched, is this a symptom of overheating? And lastly, this is a very good forum and want to say thanks the info i have received just reading the other posts. A valued service to the DIY.
  • kc8yeckc8yec Member Posts: 1
    No rhyme or reason to no start. Hot or Cold. May start perfect numerous times during the day and then crank but no start without any warning. V6. 110,000 mi. Any commonly known issues? This is my first Honda/Isuzu vehicle. New engine replaced last September. Has a re-occuring EGR code. Haven't looked into that yet.
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    Six months ago i went to the shop to get a new shocks,I ask for monroe matic plus.After putting a new shocks and drive the car i notice that the ride is still the same its still bumpy until now. Everytime i hit a bump the whole car is bouncing instead of just felling the tires hitting the bump.It cost me $200.00 for 4 shocks its kind a cheap for 4 shocks so i was thinking, probably they put an after market one
    or just that the monroe matic plus is not that good as i expecting.What do guys can suggest me?What kind of shocks can you reccomend to put in my car i'd like to have a good ride with my car.THANX...
    Make sure you have the proper tire pressure. I set mine at 30 PSI. Factory recommends 26 PSI. I have the monroes and they are better than OEM shocks.
    Your Rodeo is a truck - a real truck. It is not one of those car-based SUVS. It has leaf springs in the rear that allow it to carry a heavy load. But, they also give you a jolt when you go over bumps. You can change shocks all you want, but I doubt that it will meet your expectations. It is the nature of this beast to be bumpy. Monro-matics are less bumpy then OEMs, but none of them will give you a camry-like ride.
  • gfields40gfields40 Member Posts: 2
    I have started having problems with the fuel gauge on my 2001 V6. It has started fluctuating quite badly, it has gotten so bad that the last time I put in gas ,the gauge was showing 1/4 of a tank and I filled it up with 7 gallons. A friend of mine said it was the fuel sending unit. Any ideas, and if it is the sending unit how big of a job is this to have it replaced.
    Yeah its the fuel sending unit. This is a fairly common problem. It is a significant job to replace because the fuel tank needs to be dropped to get at it. Sometimes the unit comes up on ebay or google st charles isuzu to order lower than list price dealer parts. Then find an inexpensive mechanic to do the grunt work. It's not a hard job, just requires some physical labor.
    Here's a writeup on how to replace the fuel sending unit with pretty pictures too!

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/116
  • irishriotgrrrlirishriotgrrrl Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I feel like a dork asking this question but I wanted to be sure since I do not trust my ex husband. I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo and about two weeks ago I had to replace the alternator. That was taken care of the car was running great. Then about a week ago, my car just died completely in a parking lot. When I turned the key to start it, I would hear a clicking noise. For some reason I thought it was the altenator again, but there is absolutely no power going to the vehicle. I changed the battery and did the normal do dah dummy stuff. It still wont start and again it has absolutely no power. Does this sound like the starter? I was told by a close friend that it has to be the starter but I'm having my doubts...And yes, I want to do it by myself...save money and I love learning.
    When you say 'no power' I take it to mean that the headlights/radio/dash lights etc do not come on? A failed starter motor would not account for no electrical power to the rest of the vehicle. I would first look at the fuses in the fuse box(under dash) and the relays (in the engine compartment). Try jump starting the truck with another vehicle (to ensure your new battery hasn't been drained by repeated attempts). Recheck the alternator belt for tension. Recheck your alternator installation - ground wire still connected? After market parts-store alternators are known to fail soon after installation. If dash lights and other electricals come on correctly, and car won't start (starter clicks), then you may have a bad starter motor. The starter motor on these trucks are a pain to remove cuz part of the exhaust is in the way. It can be done without removing the exhaust, but diagnose first and if it comes to replacing the starter then post again.
  • rodasjrodasj Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new to this forum but I have a question about my 98 rodeo V6. Yesterday the lights for the battery and brake came on in the dashboard. The side mirrors radio and cigarette lighter stopped working but thankfully I made it home. When I came back out to take the car to get it checked it turned on but about 3 blocks from my house all the other dashboard lights ( abs, airbag, etc.) came on and the car died. :mad: I tried to restart it but the battery was dead. I have heard that it can be the alternator, battery or a bad ground. I would appreciatte any replies because this car is my daily driver.
    Multiple dash lights coming on like that points to a bad alternator. It is not an uncommon problem with these vehicles. Best to replace with OEM one. Next best choice is a Bosch reman unit (though even these have been known to fail shortly after installation).
  • rodasjrodasj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for info. How hard is it to change alternator. I have some mechanical skills but i dont want to get into it and then realize that i can't finish it.
    Replacing the alternator is pretty straight forward. Make sure to remove neg battery cable first. Then disconnect to the electrical wires going to the alternator. Loosen the alternator mounting and pivot bolts, and remove the drive belt. If the drive belt doesn't come off easily there is a tensioner that you can loosen. Remove the mounting and pivot bolts and the alternator comes right out.
  • pleasehelppleasehelp Member Posts: 1
    My wife is currently in FL with our 1999 Rodeo. There was a leak in the fuel line where it bolts into the intake. My brother in law fixed that. However she went to and from the store a few times and when she returned to ther house she shut off the vehicle and took out the keys. She waited for it to stop raining (about 5 minutes) and the car suddenly started on it's own. She said they had to remove the Battery cables in order to shut it off. Anyone heard of this or know what it takes to fix this. She is going to take it to a mech. tomarrow but I don't want to get robbed. Thanks in advance.
  • suprgrlsuprgrl Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 Rodeo that is leaking and burning oil. I know its leaking oil around the valve covers because when I changed the spark plugs they were covered in oil. I think the valves could be maybe leaking oil because I hear a lifter not lifting. I thought it could be the head gasket seal is broken. It isn’t running hot but I don’t know how the channels for the cooling and oil run to rule that out completely. I am trying to figure out if this the valves, how common it is, how much this should cost and if anyone knows a good mechanic in the Denver Metro area to take my Rodeo to? Thanks!!
    Lifter noise on the rodeo, especially the 1st generation which includes yours, is not only common but virtually inevitable. In fact Isuzu has a technical service bulletin (TSB) out for this problem which recommends running 0w-30 mobil one synthetic oil for one oil change to allow the oil to get into and cleanse the holes in the lifters. Some people have had luck with adding a bottle of seafoam in the crankcase. Lifter noise on these vehicles is like a chronic illness - it never completely goes way (no cure), but can be managed by doing frequent oil changes and using high quality oil filters (purolator, wix etc). Keeping your oil system clean will keep the lifters pumped up (with oil) and happy.

The valve cover gasket leak you are experiencing is also a fairly common problem. Isuzu has a new design for spark plug wires which have boots that can better keep out oil. If you lose 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles, then this is considered OK by Isuzu. Many of these vehicles lose some oil. Has to do with ring design that does not have enough drain holes, or so I've read. Overall, I would not panic about your engine unless there are other reasons for which you suspect major valve trouble. The problems you describe above are things that most rodeo owners have experienced and deal with.
    Sounds like that leak in the fuel line wasn't completely fixed. The only way I can fathom the car starting on its own is for fuel to leak back into the cylinder after the engine is turned off. The heat inside the cylinder ignites the gas and the engine starts. I would also look at leaky fuel injectors. Regardless, this is a case of fuel leaking back into the engine.
  • amysfriendamysfriend Member Posts: 3
    I have a good friend ("Amy") who is convinced that her remote keyless entry activates any Dodge Intrepid she might be near. Does anyone know anything about this, or is she just having a blonde moment? She drives a late model Isuzu Rodeo. I can probably get more vehicle info if needed. If it is true, does anyone know what the odds of something like this happening might be? Thanks for any help. I know Amy will be grateful as well.
  • sailortonysailortony Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 LS with an automatic transmission. The problem I've been having is when I shift into drive, the indicator on the dash will either read R, N, or not light up at all. When it does this the tranny will skip during the first gear as I speed up or slow down( to a stop light). When it is working correctly it runs smoothly. I'm going to buy a manual today and take it into the dealer this week. Any ideas?
    Sounds like you have a faulty transmission range sensor. It is easy to replace. Order the part and do it yourself. Sometimes the sensor just needs to be cleaned.
  • suprgrlsuprgrl Member Posts: 4
    I have problems starting sometimes after its been sitting a few days and it blows smoke from all the oil that has been leaking into the cylinder. Can you tell me what are some of the symptoms for the valve leaking on the Rodeo engine?
    That does sound like you have bad valve guides or valve guide seals. I would take it in and have a compression/leak down test to confirm. You could try to live with the problem by keeping an eye on the oil level. Otherwise, you'll need to have the head rebuilt. You can also look for a used/rebuilt head (check ebay) and have it installed. It will probably cost 1k - 1.5k to rebuild the head - not sure if its worth it on an older, high mileage truck.
  • wazzy2wazzy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a 1994 rodeo 3.2 thats been overheating after 20/30 minutes drive time.
    I felt the radiator after running hot yesterday and it was cold. This morning
    I removed the cap, started the engine, and coolant immediately started
    rising up the filler neck. I think there's trapped air, but not sure how to
    burp it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Mike
    If the radiator stays cool, then I would suspect a stuck thermostat. If there is air inside the radiator, then check all the radiator hoses and tighten the clamps. Overheating is usually caused by stuck thermostat, bad fan, or clogged radiator. I would start with those things. A leaking head gasket could also let air into the cooling system, but I would start with the basics.
  • obd2crazyobd2crazy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Honda passport that is setting trouble code po502 vehicle speed sensor. I replaced the sensor to no avail mil light still on after reset and drive cycle .Ive been to 6 mechanics Including the dealership everone is scared away or gives up . replacing random related parts seems crazy to me anyone got any ideas?need emissions bad please help.
    Does your speedometer still work. This code is often triggered when the gear from the speedometer to the transfer case fails. This problem should definitely be diagnosed by the dealer. As I understand it, the VSS has an output wire to both the speedometer and the PCM (computer). The dealer can check the voltages and see if the VSS is sending the correct signal to the PCM. I'd check to make sure the speedometer gear is ok and verify the VSS voltages. If everything checks out, then the PCM itself may need to be looked at.
  • obd2crazyobd2crazy Member Posts: 2
    everything is working exept cruise control I
    replaced the gear in the vss dealer says maybe in the cluster or pcm extremely expensive waiver is 689$ for emissions. diagnostic will just about get me there
    I'm already up to 250$ parts and labor.dealer also says code not matching symptoms?po 502. this is a 2wheel drive v6 3.2 sohc, auto.thank you for your response 2n.any ideas?cause this sucks man!
  • coopstercoopster Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 96 Rodeo with the same symtoms. Thinking it was only the alternator, I shut off the engine and pulled the key. That is when I noticed the AC blower fan remained on. I made sure that the ignition was off, and the fan still worked. Surely, this is NOT the way they were designed. Any one esle have this problem?
    I just purchased a 96 Rodeo. I believe the alternator is going or gone. Also I noticed the blower fan for the AC/Heater has power to it, even with the key off. The switch works fine, but you should not be able to turn the fan on with the key off and removed from the ignition.
  • bradrodeobradrodeo Member Posts: 1
    this seems like a strange one, but here goes..97 rodeo.... when turn the key off with AC on the engine will continue to run..even with key out of ignition switch..untill push the air condition button to turn off, then the engine stops......
    Yes! This is simular to my problem. With the ignition key off and removed, I still have power to the AC unit, or at least the AC blower fan. Something is shorting out between the ignition and the AC/Heater fan switch. Read message # 1641. Any one know what is going on?? Coopster :confuse: image
  • jordan2020jordan2020 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Jetta GL with 86,000 miles in good condition and am about to trade for a 97 Isuzu Rodeo with 140,000 miles on it. I don't know the condition because I am going to check it out tonight. (I am trading because I need an automatic and they are the only person I've had interested and I am pressed for time.)

Anyway, my question is what should I ask and look for to know if the Isuzu is in good condition?

....Any help you can give a "dumb girl" would be greatly appreciated!....I wish I found this place sooner because I have to go check out the rodeo in an hour!

Many thanks!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Why would you trade your car in on a vehicle with 140,000 miles on it? You are asking for problems!!!!
  • masteryoda1masteryoda1 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds to me like Amy was having a serious blonde moment. I don't know this for fact, but I have to believe that the odds of an Isuzu Rodeo remote actually operating a Dodge Intrepid lock system is about as likely as being struck by lightning, while standing in a basement with no windows, and wearing only rubber soled shoes and a wet suit! If I had to guess, I'd say that Amy has been the victim of a very ingenious plan. Whoever tricked her must be quite inventive (and probably very attractive).
  • robbie65robbie65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Rodeo with a 3.2 that makes a loud noise like rushing air from the air cleaner when started cold. It idles near 1500rpm when cold, then drops to 700-800rpm after a short warm up, when the noise goes away. There are no restrictions that I can see in the air cleaner or air intake ducting. Anybody run across this before or is it normal for this vehicle :confuse:
  • momof8863momof8863 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I myself have a 98 honda passport "aka" same thing, with the exceptions of a few things, I have had the same problems with mine, and know that I bought a lemon, the squeeling that you have with the rearend, was it when you push on the brake? I have had mine in the shop 8 times and still not repaired, thanks in advance!link title
  • rcusimanorcusimano Member Posts: 4
    Have a '94 Honda Passport, (4L30E Tranny). Replacing the valve body with a kit from a supply house. question is, 3 bearings came out of old valve body, i know where 1 goes (in valve body), but 2 go somewhere in the trans mating surface. Looking for a diagram or picture from a manuel or hint where i can get a manuel that will show me where these 2 bearings go? I hope someone can help....please
  • shauryshaury Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Passport that has a fuel line problem of some kind.. It was running rough a couple of months ago & the check engine light came on-I took it in to be checked and the mechanic wanted to hook it up to a $200 fuel injector cleaner-I bought some techtron & ran it through myself & thought the problem was solved. Started again today. Bought more fuel injector cleaner today & the guy at Auto Zone sold me a new fuel filter. Is that the next step?
  • enriq212enriq212 Member Posts: 11
    I am in a maze trying to figure out the problems I inherited with my 99 rodeo and jiffy lube sounded like they could help but I still have the problem. I changed my tranny oil not knowing the last time it was changed and the ride and shifts were better but I shouldnt have gone to jiffy lube when I knew I had a oil leak somewhere coming from the tran oil pan. Now I have a clean oil leak. But my question was if anyone has the same problem because I dont know if the jiffy lube changed the pan gasket (which I expected them to since the filter is there) and if they did then where is this leak coming from. I was recently under the car and sort of gotten a small itsy bitsy turn on the screw thinking they might have left it loose but there was more oil there for the loosness of the scew. I am worried about future problems like running on low oil since the rodeo has no transmission dipstick. Anyone out there!!! :cry::cry: :confuse:
    anyone know any good websites or a book other than the common auto parts store books to help fix the rodeos..?? THe book I have Haynes or someother is not enough
  • hsueshsues Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 rodeo LS v6 and i've been having engine problems since i got the car from the dealership in 2004. In the mornings when i start my car, it often tries to stall. i'll turn the key and see the rpms go up to about 1500 then it starts to have trouble and rps drop to about 700 and then jerks and sometimes stalls out, sometimes it levels out and work alright... other times i just gas it and keep the revs at 1200+ to warm it up a bit. is there something wrong with my engine or gaskets? its fine otherwise... and sometimes if i haven't driven it for over a few hours, it will have some similar problems of jerking and sometimes stalling due to low rpms.
    on another note, my engine fan is unusually loud sometimes, what is this attributable to?
    any advice would help a lot.
    Thanks.
    Stay away from Jiffy Lube!!! They are so problematic. Just do a google search on them and you will see numerous complaints against them. And unfortunately, the worst thing is to take your Rodeo in for a ATF job with them. Rodeos are sealed ATF units that dealers or trained mechanics should work on only. As you can see, there isn't a dipstick for you to check the fluid level. You must top off the fluid multiple times which I doubt Jiffy did for you (time consuming). If not done correctly will ruin your tranny. If it is still leaking then the gasket was not changed either. Needless to say the loose screw reflected highly on them.

My brother's 01 Rodeo tranny was ruined because of Jiffy Lube servicing his ATF fluid. Had to go to dealer and repair for $900. Luckily we had a family attorney persuade the dealer to cover the costs.
    sounds like the common intake manifold gasket leak problem. It is covered under the 10yr/100K powertrain warranty. Air leaks in and stalls the engine. Do a search on this topic and you will read more explanations.

Fan is normaly loud under hot conditions. Check your whole cooling system. Belts, hoses, and fluid.
    I guess that was the worse thing I could do. Bad judgment on that day, very bad. I will try to do my own motor oil change as I have been doing. As for the tranny work it must be a seal because they never changed the gasket when they did whatever they did to replace my tranny oil even though they said they will professionally do the oil change, they really got my money because they changed the differential oil as well and I dont even think I have one it is a 2wd vehicle and said it is the same as a 4wd. Luckily its a strong suv and no tranny problems have resulted. I will look into a knowledged mechanic to finally change that gasket and possibly find the tranny leak. Thanks for your knowledge. :sick:
    MY 99 rodeo feels like the fan part of the ac turns on sometimes never can tell when just feel air from the vents as if it was on fan switch one and heats and cools as I turn the temp control. I turn the ac switch off and still get air through the vents..what I have to do is shut the vent to circulate inside the car air instead of from outside...unless thats normal it sounds like what is happening to you :mad:
    Jiffy lube can do the simplest things adequately but stay away from anything else even slightly complicated or anything the do not deal with on a day to day basis(like the Rodeo ATF).

I think you are fine with the rear differential change. 2WD have a rear differential if that makes you feel any better. Look at the rear "pumpkin" and you will see a fill hole and drain hole.

Make sure it s a trusted competant mechanic. It should not cost that much to change a gasket and fill the ATF again.

Good luck.