Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• mdatlantamdatlanta Member Posts: 4
    Hello to the group...

I have a '97 Passport. I very rarely use the 4WD, and I'm trying to squeeze every mpg I can out of it. Are there are locking front hubs available for these SUVs? I checked the Warn website and the only hubs they showed for Isuzu fit the Trooper, not the Rodeo.

Thanks!

Mike
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    There is 2 metal pipes with coolent going from front of the engine to coolaent manifold on the back under uintake manifold. They connect to coolaent manifold with rubber O-rings. These O-rings dried over time and leak coolant into V between engine heads and down.To get access you have to remove stuff on top of the engine(intake manifold, fuel rail). This repair pretty common on truck of your age. I can show you a pictures of somebody make during similar repair but edmuns rule not allow to link to another forum.
  • redfish2redfish2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Rodeo. The transmission started shifting ruff into 3rd gear and fills like it is skidding when braking coming to a stop. This only happens when the shift indicator light does not apear on the dash. I replaced the mode sensor and the vehicle was fine for about 2-3 weeks. The indicator light quit working again and now I'm experiencing ruff shifting and high rpm's in park and neutral.When you put it into gear the RPM's drop to 300. I also blew fuses that controled blower fan and turn signals.Please help???
    Thanks
    Mike
  • rodeolsrodeols Member Posts: 1
    Bought the Rodeo new took it to Germany and put about 40k in 3 years often at 90 MPH. I have done normal maintenance with 1 set of tires with shocks/struts, new brakes all around. I also put a high flow oil saturated air filter on it (K&N). I get about 18 - 20 MPG depending on my mood. No severe off road just a little snow here and there throughout Europe. Brought it back with me this year. No dents, no complaints and I have almost 60k on it now.
    This car has been a great value and I would buy another.
    V/R
    Jon
  • drawingmecrazydrawingmecrazy Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday out of nowhere my trans started slipping. within 10 miles it went to nothing in all gears (automatic 2w drive)It has 156K and has always ran perfect. Lots of power. Now the engine just revs. No leaks nor do I smell any fluid. Help
  • richie75richie75 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a used 98 Isuzu Rodeo recently. The vehicle was in excellent condition and I had no issues with it till I noticed that the breaking was not quite good. I took the SUV to a Isuzu service center and got it inspected. He changed the front brake pads but left the rear pads unchanged as it was in a good condition. The mechanic who worked on the vehicle also remarked that the SUV was in a very good condition. Well maintained.
    I took the SUV out of the service centre and onto the Interstate. At around 40m/hr I noticed a constant low rubbing sound coming from the front wheels. When I decrease the speed, the sound is gone. I thought it was due to the new brake pads. After three weeks the sound still remains. I took the SUV back to the same service center and this time they inspect the vehicle and tell me that I need to do the following :
    1. change the inner and outer bearings.($190 + labor)
    2. replace/repack the upper and lower ball joints.($200 + labor)

They are going to charge me atleast $800 including labor. I personally feel that it is a rip-off. When I pointed out that the sound was not there before the brake change....they tell me that 'something' could have 'shifted' during the change!!
    I was surfing the net to find some advice and I luckily found this forum. Please please advice me on what I need to do. Thanks.
    Change brake pads is so simple and it is NOT involve to do anything around the hub unless shop tried to remove brake rotors from the hub to turn them, on Rodeo you have to disassamble the whole hub to get rotor off and you can easy put bearing wrong way, overscrew hub nut and it actualy pretty involve assembly. Isuzu recomend front bearing repack every 30K, if you never deep water crossing you can easy go up to 100k without this service. Bearing dont brake right away, if noise just started you may be need just repack(just labor) and may be just on one side; or you may be need change one bearing on one side(much less$$ and labor). I not see what ball joints have to do with this problem. Look for another shop to inspect your problem and send bill to first shop for **** job.
    Hey df2000, Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Yes the shop did turn the brake rotor. Can you also please explain to me why the brake rotor is turned during a brake pad change? Is this a usual procedure?
    This rubbing noise was not there before the brake pads were changed. From your reply, it looks like the rubbing noise started only because the mechanic did not put it back together correctly after turning the rotor. Is that correct? Can I go back to the shop and demand that they correct the problem because they had started it in the first place? I just want to get the facts right so that I have enough ammo to face them!
    Thanks again!
  • hardridincwbyhardridincwby Member Posts: 12
    I have a simalar problem on a 1998 rodeo. Driving down our dirt road. Lights came on then truck died. I pulled and charged battery got it home, pulled and checked battery, fine, pulled alt. had it checked putting out 14.6 volts, noticed drive belt weather checked ,replaced it checked all pulleys for free spin, fine . Any ideas? :(
    Turn rotor is pretty usual for shop brake service.Sometimes new pads develop noice(sqveal) so shop just not want to do job twice, and make rotor surface smove and square by turning rotor on lathe. But unless your rotor has deep grove all over it or it thickness less than minimal allowed, I wouldn't do it.
    There is "Stop,let's talk about brakes" forum in Maintanence section here on Edmunds so you can read a lot about this subject. Yes, I think they did not put it back together correctly.As I told you before it somewhat tricky, for example preload value for hub nut 4 lb and there is a procedure to achive the right preload, somebody actually use fish scale. Of course, you can go back and demand anything you want... I wouldn't hold my breath...a lot.
    Good luck.
  • anthony2nanthony2n Member Posts: 48
    I have a simalar problem on a 1998 rodeo. Driving down our dirt road. Lights came on then truck died. I pulled and charged battery got it home, pulled and checked battery, fine, pulled alt. had it checked putting out 14.6 volts, noticed drive belt weather checked ,replaced it checked all pulleys for free spin, fine . Any ideas?

I would still be suspicious of the alternator. Many people have had theirs tested and it passes, but replacing it ultimately fixes the problem. This truck is very finicky about voltage. Check wiring to alternator. And, replace with OEM unit. Aftermarket (parts store) alts don't hack it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link if anyone is interested: Stop here! Let's talk about brakes

tidester, host
    df2000,

Thankyou very very much for all the advice. Armed with all the knowledge you had given me, I confronted the shop. They agreed to do the repacking free of cost!!!
    This forum is the best!! You are a star! I am so glad I came to the right place for advice. I was able to convince the shop that it was their mistake only bcos I was given the right advice by you. Thanks again.
    You are very welcome!
    Hey, another Edmunds success story!
  • johnnyremsjohnnyrems Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Redeo LS and bought it from a friend (the original owner). The alarm seems to have a short somewhere because the indicator light will blink until I 'giggle' it. Now, the light doesn't blink, but the engine doesn't crank. Is there a 'safe' way to disable the alarm system until I can get it to a service center?

Many thanks,
    -John
  • robert43robert43 Member Posts: 1
    The airbag light is on and the horn does not work. Factory says I need a new SRI coil. Any experience with this problem and how hard is it to fix? I created this problem when I had the Steering bar disconnected and I turned the steering wheel to much. Could I just have disconnected the electrical connection going to the steering wheel/airbag?
  • tjd4tjd4 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter has a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo we bought used which she loves. We've had it for about 2 years and are experiencing problems now. It has 69,000 miles on it. It supposedly is burning oil, we will find out for sure in the next couple of weeks. Our mechanic is going to put a high grade oil in and check it. If it is definately burning he said we should rebuild the engine or dump it. The car is paid for and she is in her freshman year of college so we thought IF we have to do something why not put a new engine in it and she can drive it until the wheels fall off. What are your thoughts?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Until you know how much it is burning, you can't make a decision. If it is burning a quart in less than 1000 miles, that might be excessive...if it is a quart over 2500 or more then it should not be a problem. Also, it would help you to know if it is actually burning oil because of internal wear or just the EGR valve needing cleaning or replacing. The EGR valve is a lot less expensive than rebuilding or replacing the engine.

Ask you mechanic what the result were of the compression test on each cylinder. IF any of the cylinders has much lower compression, it could be worn piston rings.

BTW, do you know if oil has been changed regularly at a recent interval? Also, has the oil level been checked regularly? If it has gotten very low at least once, then there could be excessive wear from that.

If you decide it needs major work, you might consider trading in the 'problem' on something else instead of putting out a couple thousand on a replacement or rebuild.
    Thanks for the information. We will look at it all carefully. The only reason for not buying something else, is b/c its my daughter's car, she loves it (it has 20" rims, stereo system, brushguard, etc.) and its paid for. I just want it to last her through college then she can use it as a trade when she's gainfully employed. But also want to know that she is safe when travelling. Lot's to consider.
  • snowbubblegirlsnowbubblegirl Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems withmy 2001 Honda Passport. How do you know it is the alternator. I read somewhere else about it might be the transmission range sensor.
    What do you think?
    I also am having problems with my window wipers and my fuel gauge. Do you know if anything is covered under warranty?
    Good luck on the engine...just don't let it get too low if it is burning a little.

My step-daughter has a 2002 Rodeo...pretty much stock. I just replaced the front brake pads Saturday. She had complained about them squeeling recently. Then the brake light came on. Brake fluid was just under the add mark. The front pads were down to maybe 30% left...it did not look as if the shims were making contact to produce the 'time to change me squeel', but I changed them anyway. 31,000 miles...I'll probably look at the rear brakes soon. Not sure if they are disk or drum...completly covered so it looks to be to be drums, but the NAPA warehouse said they showed pads not shoes in the catalog.

I was a little disappointed in the Rodeo's brakes. I have a 2000 Trooper LS 2/wd. I just changed front and rear pads about 6 weeks ago at 91,000+ miles and they would have lasted probably another 20,000.
  • bdavis2bdavis2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 honda passport. A list of problems include: 1)Replacing a head gasket (under warranty) when the car would idle real low when stopping. 2)Gas gauge not working. Even when tank is full, the gauge reads empty and the fuel light flashes (which is a great theft deterrent because a thief will not steal a car that is out of gas!!) Anyone know how much this is to fix?? 3)Also, check engine light is on. I went to AutoZone and they did a free diagnostic and said the EGR is setting off the check engine light. Part is $175.00 I tried cleaning today so we'll see what happens. 4) I checked the oil yesterday and was surprised I didn't have a reading. I added 2 quarts and still didn't register a reading. I added another half quart and still was low. I took the car in today for a new oil change (I was 2 and a half months from my previous oil change, I always change every 3 months or 3000 miles) I don't have any puddles of oil in my garage nor do I emit excessive smoke. What could it be?? 5) My blower for my air conditioner quit working and at the same time, my car would shift real rough when shifting into second or third gear (I have an automatic) When I replaced the 15 amp fuse the rough shifting quit. I had this problem on two occasions back in 2002. I have not had any problems since. I bought the SUV new in Sept of 1999 and have 98000 miles on it. 6) The ABS light goes on and off intermittantly. 7)The four wheel drive didn't work. The dealer took apart the mechanism and cleaned it and put it back together in 2003. New part was $535.00. I decided to roll the dice and leave the old one in. It has worked fine. Any suggestions?? I am too cheap to take it in to the dealership because they charge so much money just to look at it.
  • santa2santa2 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1996 rodeo 4wd manual trans. with a 4wd shift lever, auto hubs. Got stuck this last storm,4wd indicator lamp is on, but doesn't fully engage. Put vehicle on lift, in gear,in 4wd, and hear clicking in front left hub. Are auto hubs working on electronics or vacuum, or is the actuators the cause
  • jmjt8jmjt8 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Passport that every now and again shuts off when you shift into drive. Trans light came on one time. Any ideas?
    We had same problem with our 2001 Isuzu. Had mech. replace fuel filter kit, not whole fuel pump. Got it off ebay for about 15.00 cost 128 to have put in though. Also, she was reading low oil but was also smoking. Had mech put high grade oil in and he is checking for next couple of weeks, so far so good.
  • gensogenso Member Posts: 1
    any advice welcomed..I have had panel partially disassembled but cannot access bulbs...how do I properly do this job??...
  • snowman97903snowman97903 Member Posts: 2
    Good morning everyone. I am the happy owner of a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport. Bought new in 2000 it now has about 107,000 miles. It still runs strong (due for tune up and radiator flush tho). What is the story on the timing belts for this model? The manual says every 60,000 miles for change out. Can somebody please explain what non-interference means in regards to the timing belt ? Thanx and have an awesome day.

Snow
  • t429t429 Member Posts: 1
    last night i ran out of gas on my way home . so i putter to the sholder call the wife and get 10gal of gas in it and now it wont fire up it turns over just fine but wont start. i dont know if i have a reset or something or if you can kill your fuel pump that way? any help would be great!!! oh ya its a 99 4x4 lse 6cyl auto.
  • yguyyguy Member Posts: 1
    wadleyd:
    did you get any help on your sifter issue? I have developed the same thing within the last two days and noticed your post on the board. This comes on the heels of having the ignition key stick in the ignition switch for threee or four days then suddenly decide to come free and all works fine now. Let me know if you have any hints on what is causing the problem.
    yguy
  • blaznaroblaznaro Member Posts: 1
    hello to all.... having some serious problems with this rodeo. Until yesterday the only problems i have had with this rodeo are the common fuel gauge problem and the check engine light for the gas cap.Had an ice storm thursday night and had to work fri. put the veichle in 4wd to get onto the main road and put in 2wd to drive to work. started shifting funny. when i left work put it in drive and it would not move at first but then studdered really hard jerked then went into gear but slipped really bad between gears. had the fluids checked and all is good. will hardly pull in first studders really hard when taking off after gaining speed it goes ok but shifts funny then every time i stop it studders hard when taking off. dealer said the tranny needs to be replaced but the veichle has never pulled any trailer no hitch and has only used 4wd twice this year. only 72000 miles and tranny costs 5500 doller not including install ouch! any help or info advice greatly appreciated
  • neylandneyland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 rode. It overheatedx3. Had the radiator, waterpump, therm, head gasket replaced. It still leaks radiator fluid. And now it won't start. Had spark plugs changed, nothing. What could be the problem with this car? Starter and alternator are fine.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I think it all depends on how agressive you use them.

My '01 Rodeo has almost 80K on it and i am getting ready to replace front brakes. They are not squelling yet, but the truck starts to shake when braking at high speed.

The rear brakes are still very good and will probably not need to be replaced for another 30-50K
  • garssgarss Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Honda Passport with just 70,000 miles on it. A month and a half ago, it suddenly just stopped running. Two mechanics and 3 Honda dealerships later, I was told that they can't do anything to fix it. They first thought that it was a problem with the timing belt so they had it replaced. Then they replaced the tensioner, worked on the cam shafts, did a pressure test on the engine but found nothing wrong. The Honda dealership tells me that it seems only half of the engine is running. They had a new computer chip shipped to the dealership so they could try it on my car but it didn't fix the problem. I'm close to giving up on it. I was also told that there's another Honda passport out there having the same problems. Do you guys have any suggestions before I junk the car?
  • scottexpatscottexpat Member Posts: 1
    Hello. .
    I'm NOT a mechanic and I live in a foreign country where nobody has computer diagnostics here for my Isuzu Rodeo 2004. The vehicle has 5,000 miles on it. Previously, the 4WD would work fine. At some point, the 4WD would not turn off when I turned the 4WD switch off. The only way to turn off the 4wd would be to stop the vehicle, turn off the engine, and then turn off the 4WD switch. This worked for a while. Then, I turned the engine off 1 day, turned off the 4WD switch, and the Check 4WD Indicator Light lit up. The indicator light has been on for many months now, and the 4WD won't turn on at all now. Any ideas of what is wrong? What is the fix? Thanks so much!
  • suprgrlsuprgrl Member Posts: 4
    My back window won't stay latched. I tried adjusting the window latch on the window, but the latch mechanism is just worn out. I bought a replacement one from the dealership. I have the Haynes book and it seems pretty straight forward, but I know nothing about working on my car has ever ended up being simple. I have a feeling that removing the actuating rods and installing them will be a nightmare. I was just wondering if anyone's replace it and if anyone had any tips for a single girl doing it herself.
  • twrosstwross Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 passport that had hard shifting problems when stopping and it would occasionally loose power in the lower gears. You might want to check the gear select switch on the side of the transmission, they tend to get dirty and send improper gear selection info to the computer. The switch can be taken apart and cleaned. Not sure if yours has the same tranny as mine(4L30). Hope this helps.
  • pmontypmonty Member Posts: 1
    I recently went to start my car and, nothing! No warning before this. No other major problems. Not the battery. Radio and indicator lights still work. Not the starter as confirmed by the first mechanic who looked at it. Isuzu dealer says it's the transmission harness. I could pay $390 to have them replace a wire and bypass the harness ground. This may fix this problem but may not prevent future problems with the harness. Or, I could pay $1055 and have the whole thing replaced. Ouch. Anybody else have problems with this. I feel they have me over a barrel. My car won't even start. Help!
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    You might check for recalls or technical service bulletins for this condition. Look from 1998:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 98V170001
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING:HARNESS:FRONT:UNDERHOOD
    Manufacturer: ISUZU MOTOR, LIMITED
    Year: 1998
    Make: ISUZU TRUCK
    Model: RODEO
    Manufactured From: JUL 1997 To: FEB 1998
    Year of Recall: '98
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: Sport utility vehicles. A ground connection terminal was not properly crimped in the supplier's engine wiring harness manufacturing line. This improper crimping process can leave an impression on the terminal that will eventually cause a stress fracture. Q: If a terminal is fractured, the powertrain control module
    (PCM) can receive an erroneous signal indicating a high vehicle speed, thereby causing the PCM to cut the fuel, causing a 'no-start' condition, or a possible engine stall.
  • mfallonamfallona Member Posts: 4
    My rodeo is having problems, it starts and as it is idling it sounds like it is struggling to get fuel or power. I also notice that the battery indication fluctuates when I press on the brake. When I put it in reverse it almost stalls out. I backed out of the driveway slightly then I put it in drive and it just started rolling back and the brakes wouldn't even hold it. I can fix an airplane, but I am out of my element with cars. How often should a battery be changed? I left the interior lights on last week and I had to jump it, could this be related?
  • mulcher1mulcher1 Member Posts: 1
    When I start my v6 rodeo (automatic) on cold start it revs to 4500 rpm, then slowly goes to normal idle after about 2 min. Seems like it is waiting for the water temp to heat up? Once warm it seems fine. Its the initial 2 min high rev that is scary. I don't dare put it in gear until it idles under 1000. :cry:

Any ideas what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

Mulcher1
  • berdahlberdahl Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with the gas light on my 2000 Rodeo. The problem is a sensor in the gas tank, which cost around $550.
  • dcamdcam Member Posts: 15
    Does your reduced power lamp come on?Does the vehicle run normal and then die?Sounds like a wire harness problem.This is
    common for your year model.Take it to an Isuzu dealer.If this is the problem,they should be able to diagnose it quickly.
    Hey snow.non interference means if the timing belt breaks,the pistons will not hit the valves and cause engine damage.I would recommend taking it to the dealer.It is very easy for a mechanic not familiar with the product to set the timing wrong.Look to replace the timing belt tensioner and waterpump
    at the same time.
  • suprgrlsuprgrl Member Posts: 4
    I replaced the lock mechanism. It wasn't too bad. I closed the window it worked. I tried it again. It worked and the fourt test, it quit working. The brand new window latch mechanism isn't locking. I tried removing the striker part on the window and getting the mechanism to lock and then just tightening it down. I couldn't get that to work. I couldn't get it to square up and stay locked it would pop unlocked. I don't know if the latch on the window part needs replacing or if i just got a bum latch mechanism.

Any Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
  • phxrodeophxrodeo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Rodeo sport. I had what sounds like a similar problem. It would lerch while shifting or while stopping. I had to have mode switch replaced it's under the dash, it communicates between the indicator on the dash and the gear on the floor board. I'm not sure if yours is set up this way, but it is a lot cheaper than a new transmission.
  • phxrodeophxrodeo Member Posts: 2
    I have 84K miles and I'm being told by the mechanics to have timing belt changed and they recommend changing the water pump. If I don't change the timing belt right now should I be worried about blowing my engine. The mechanics are telling me I will blow my engine if it breaks. Is this true? I've been quoted between $350 - $500, does that seem reasonable?
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    If you have a v-6 engine,you will not damage your engine if
    the t-belt breaks.If you have a 4 cylinder,then you will damage the engine if the belt breaks.You should replace the timing belt,tensioner, and waterpump at one time with your mileage because they tend to fail at around 80k miles.The price seems reasonable if the waterpump is included.Check with an Isuzu dealer because they usually have a timing belt package price that is very reasonable and the parts are factory.
    I have a '00 Trooper. Just got an estimate from the local Isuzu/Chevy dealer on timing belt and water pump. They want $800 for the package. I'm looking at other options now...that is a little bit high for me.
  • jasondanieljasondaniel Member Posts: 1
    does anyne here have to specs for a tow hitch for a 97 rodeo. i'm too cheap to buy one.... but if i can get the dimensions on one, i can build it... please help
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Not trying to be facetious but if this were mine I would jack it waay up in the air and drive a new vehicle under it and go about my business.......
    Sounds like it is going to cost you more than the vehicle is worth, especially given all the trouble you have had with it.