Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• judgemackjudgemack Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 rodeo v6 auto transmission. I have been noticing a little bit of untimely downshifts. Just the other day when pulling into my parking space the Rodeo just stopped, like hitting a log or something, and will no longer move in forward gears. It will drive in reverse, and in neutral the thing still wants to go backwards. Any suggestions before I take it to a mechanic. I will check everything I can before I give in to a new or rebuilt tranny. I may get under the car this afternoon (Wed., Jan 18, if someone out there can give me some ideas. The indicator on the dash lags behind the floor shifter some, but seems to stop in the right places.

Thanks so much for any help
  • sherri5sherri5 Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my transmission filter and gasket because of wear-what a process. I cleaned the undercarriage right afterwards.
    I seem to have a leak on my driveway (have had it since I've owned the car). I've put the vehicle back on the lift to look and it appears as though there is a leak coming from the pan forward of the transmission pan - if you have the Chilton's Isuzu 1981-96 repair manual there's apic on page 1-79 fig 183. I can not figure out what the heck this is. Is it an overflow pan of some kind. How and where can i order a gasket for this?
    thanks.
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    You are looking at adapter pan for overdrive valve body, it just show tranny was born as 3 speed and GM upgrade to 4 speed later. Look like partsbin dot com has one for $13 OEM style.
  • slyguy_11572slyguy_11572 Member Posts: 3
    I had some difficulty with the rear window latch on my 1996 Honda Passport/Rodeo clone. The interesting thing is that the dash switch labeled "Tailgate Opener" activates some electric switch at the tailgate. Well, on occasion this will let you open the rear glass. Not always. The only sure way for me to get the rear open is to insert the key into the cylinder shaped lock on the tailgate, turn to the right, and press the entire lock inwards toward the tailgate. This mechanically releases the rear window. Funny thing is that after you open the window, it will not latch again until you swing open the spare tire and pull the handle to drop the tailgate. After you close the tailgate, you can latch the window back into place. :confuse:

Sly
    I have a question about the timing belt on my 1996 Honda Passport. The truck only has 120K on it, but I'm unsure if the previous owner ever replaced the timing belt. I'm almost sure that I'm going to do it in the very near future so that I know that it has been done. My question is that in the Haynes manual that I bought that covers the Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo), it states that the engine is in fact an "interference" engine. This means just what it sounds like-that the valves and pistons will be damaged if for some reason the pistons continue to rotate after the valves have stopped operating which is exactly what happens if your timing belt snaps with the engine running. I've read elsewhere in this forum that the V6 is a "non-interference" engine. Who's right here?? :confuse:

Sly
    I've read somewhere that the transfer case will grenade if you ever use four wheel high or low on the street. This sounds true and I'm glad that I've never tested that theory. Anyone ever heard something similar??

Sly
    Yep, 3.2L is non-interference.It was few reports on net people put t-belt incorrectly, turned the engine and no damage happen. 60K is way too soon, but 120k between changes about time to start thinking of one.I saw 1 report original belt broke at 120k mi.More offen leaking water pump(you will see coolant) or failed T-belt hydrolic tensioner(you will hear it) reason for belt to fail.
    About 4x4, it will bind on turn on dry surface,there is no cluches or cental differential to provide diff in wheel speed. If you try to push it, it may grenade tc as well.a
  • rbsummerbsumme Member Posts: 1
    Has any heard of this part?

My wife took our 01 Rodeo LS 4x4 in for a transmission gasket replacment and we were told the Gas Mileage Regulator was bad.

I can't find any such part on the net.

Thanks!
  • 45auto145auto1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo with the Borg Warner 5 speed manual transmission. I need to replace the tail piece as it is cracked and leaking oil. Where can I find just the tail piece and how hard is it to replace?
  • rwhiteleyrwhiteley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 passport. I am currently being driven crazy with problems. It is idling high, the brake and battery lights are on. And there is always a problem with the gas guage. I could have filled it an hour ago and the light comes on. I read that may be a bent arm on the reader. Could the idling be acting up because the butterfly valve is sticking? Would that effect the brakes or battery? Where exactly is the butterfly valve anyway? :sick:
  • lourocklourock Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Rodeo transmission upshift points are exactly 15 and 30 mph. Is this normal? It is a little annoying in a parking lot or school zone. Other than that the transmission shifts pretty smooth.
  • rodeo_guyrodeo_guy Member Posts: 1
    Noise from the spare tire on the back of my rodeoI have a 1991 Isuzu with the spare tire on the back. I think the bushings are gone if there is such a thing. Is there anything I can do that is inexpensive to get elevate the noise when I role over bumps in the road? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED _ THE NOISE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY :cry:
  • azucarazucar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo. My problem is this: sometimes, the only way I can shift the automatic transmission from Park to Drive, or from Park to Reverse, is to first press the brakes all the way to the floor, as hard as I can. Another option that occasionally works is to put the car in Neutral, pull up the emergency brake, and then shift to Drive or Reverse.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Strangely, when I press the horn, it continues to honk even when I release the pressure. I have to punch the wheel hard to get it to stop. Could these things be connected?
  • juacojuaco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS. The indicator light is blinking slowly for a few secounds and then blinking fastly. but the four wheel is no :mad: t work. any idea.
    help!!!
  • fishinwithbobfishinwithbob Member Posts: 1
    91 Rodeo- replaced plugs and rotor staurday- ran fine-

started fine Monday morning- let idle- went in to get books came out and it was dead. will not restart

I have another that I parted out and replaced every seeable electrical start component...still nothing

any clues?

Bob
  • deano86deano86 Member Posts: 1
    I have a strange problem with my door switches dome light circuit. It has started acting as if one of my door switches is defective, but when I actuate them by hand I can hear the relay in the fuse box clicking,but the light will not go out at times even with the switch closed. Also, the light will flicker when driving the vehicle.. sometimes going out for a few seconds when going over bumps or when accelerating. The really strange thing is when I am checking the driver door switch by hand, the circuit will work perfectly, then when I close the door or any door, the light will stay on. If I happen to put slight pressure on the fuse box dash area the circuit begins working properly again. I have swapped the relay. Is this a funky grounding issue? Thanks
  • fabianfabian Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I first start my 97 isuzu rodeo (when it's cold) I have to pump the clutch several times to get it to start. I know that there is some kind of ignition switch that prohibits the car from starting unless the clutch is engaged (this is normal), but lately as I've said I've had to pump the clutch to get it to start. I took it to my dealership (car max) and they said something about the ignition switch/clutch, but they weren't certain and they wanted to charge $400.00 ($125 part/the remainder labor) to replace a part that they weren't certain would fix my problem. Does anyone know what this switch is actually called? And how difficult it would be to replace myself.

Thank you,
    fabian
  • scvasquezscvasquez Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the board and I have a problem with my 1992 rodeo. I live in colorado and I drive over mountain passes alot. When i do this I have to put it in 3rd gear and floor it just to make it up the mountain its embarrassing when big truckers are having to pass me when I am going up the mountain. I am afraid that if I dont get this fixed that one day i am going to over heat or something. Does anyone know what could be making it lose power when I go over the mountain passes or and big hill for that matter? It does fine driving flat. Please help!!! :cry:
  • boogooboogoo Member Posts: 2
    I am getting a trouble code read of p0171 and p0172. Is it the oxygen sensors ( bank 1) like autozone says they are or is it the intake manifold gasket? It is a 2000 Rodeo 5 speed with a 3.2 litre. The engine idles high then cuts out almost stalling the engine. The egr valve was just cleaned out 2 months ago with some other work done on the vehicle. Any input would be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • vendomanvendoman Member Posts: 2
    I just started researching this SUV and the year you have only has 120hp.....That could be your problem for the mountains. You might want to buy a newer SUV with more horse power......Just my guess......I think the 1993 jumped up to 175hp.
  • rs1905rs1905 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95.5 honda passport v6 4x4, automatic trans. I have the check trans light come on intermitantly. Usually when i give it gas like to pass or go up a hill, then it automatically shifts to i believe 4th. It doesn't always do it, and when it does it isn't always from the same gear. One night it started doing it pretty bad, and i was able to turn the vehicle off, then right back on and it stopped for a bit. I feel like its something electrical, but I'm not a mechanic. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. thanks
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I believe AAMCO can troubleshoot your tranny for free...
  • naobunninaobunni Member Posts: 7
    and also when the heat is on (and it's on this winter in New England).
    So I bought this 98 Honda Passport used @ 137k miles. It's running pretty good - and my mechanic looked it over and said it seemed pretty stable.

I was driving it yesterday and smelled gasoline with and without using the heat - any ideas?

thanks a bunch - you guys helped me with my 02 Honda Odyssey =)
  • boogooboogoo Member Posts: 2
    it was the intake manifold gasket cost $40 to fix
  • rs1905rs1905 Member Posts: 2
    First, thanks cracovian, AAMCO was able to tell me what the problem was, unfortunately the problem was the transmission. So my question now is which models tranny is compatible with the 95.5 4x4 3.2l v6 automatic? I've searched all over the "information super highway" and cant find a number or name of the tranny thats in it to compare to other rodeo/passport models. Thanks again
  • indyfiftyoneindyfiftyone Member Posts: 1
    My rodeo just got a new engine I keep getting a Misfire code, and its running rough. I used the same coil pack and it was working fine before. Should I try diffrent plugs? The plug wires are brand new. Thnks for any help.
  • sri_2006sri_2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I can feel a loud thump while acceletaring or decelerating/braking on my '99 Isuzu Rodeo. Sounds like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle. Has anyone experienced similar problem, and had it fixed? Thanks.
  • seeya1seeya1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. New to the board. I also have the abs light on,but I also have the brake light on. Do you know what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
    (97 Rodeo LS 4wd)

#660 of 1898 ABS light on by pondview Mar 30, 2002 (5:51 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    The ABS light on my 1998 Rodeo stays on all the time, it statted about 3 months ago(it has 37k miles) My local mechanic tested the brakes and said they were fine. Is it probably just the sensor and no reason to be concerned...or could it be something more serious? I really don't want to take it to the dealer.
    #661 of 1898 ABS by paisan Mar 30, 2002 (5:10 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Probably a sensor. The parking brake light would come on if it was a problem with the brake system.

-mike
  • rissin99rissin99 Member Posts: 1
    I took my baby in for some long overdue work one day, the check engine light had come on and I noticed that I was leaking some oil. The service manager told me that the needed to lift the engine to replace the rear main seal and oil pan seal.
    Also needed was 4 part engine clean and replacement of a valve.
    Scheduled 60,000 mile service
    New front brake pads.
    In shop 3days
    total cost of parts 616.00
    total labor $$1933.94
    look on my face when I recieved the bill....PRICELESS..
    I cant help but feel like I got scammed.
    Does this sound like a reasonable price?
  • pastor1pastor1 Member Posts: 2
    I own 1997 Isuzu Rodeo V6. Recently I have been observing check trans warning light. Sometimes it goes off. But when it is on, the vehicle moves sluggishly on take off. What is the cause of the problem? Pastor1
  • pastor1pastor1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know why the auxiliary gear on 1997 Isuzu Rodeo would be vibrating? We have checked the gearbox mount and it seem to be in order and not the cause.
    I think you already know the answer...How bad was the leak?
    Oil is cheap, you know...You can do a lot of 60K service youself, it mostly check this and that anyway, you can do brakes, it really easy. Shop around for parts and labor next time. Hey, you paid "for convenience" mostly.
  • screwedbyisuzuscrewedbyisuzu Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Honda Passport aka fraudulant name for Isuzu Rodeo, I thought a bad EGR valve would not hurt my vehicle either but it did, now I am in over $3000.00 in repairs and my vehicle still does not run The best repair for any isuzu product is gas and a lighter!
    I also owned a 2001 HOnda Passport, with one problem after the other my advice to you is to get rid of it and never buy another Isuzu product - Honda did not make the Passport the Passport is an Isuzu rodeo - a true Honda is a great vehicle and HOnda themselves will now tell you dont ever by a passport.
    The HOnda passport had a recall for the fuel problem it should have been fixed at no costLook it up on the internet maybe you can get a refund.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    MY take on your problem was that you bought it from Honda and Honda will not stand by the product with their name on it. If you had bought it from Isuzu then it would have still been under warranty...same vehicle, less money better warranty, only thing lacking is the name Honda on it. Honda was glad to sell you a Passport (made by Isuzu for Honda) when they did not have a SUV of their own. It worked for them, they got your money. IMHO you would be more correct in bitching about Honda than Isuzu. Anyway, sorry for your problems.

bill
  • freedom247freedom247 Member Posts: 6
    I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1998 RODEO, AND I LOVE IT! I GOT A GREAT DEAL WITH IT. PAYING LESS THEN $5400 CASH OUT THE DOOR. COMPLETE WITH V6 3.2L POWER EVERYTHING AND LESS THEN 80000 MILES JUST WANTED TO EXPRESS HOW HAPPY I WAS WITH THE PURCHASE :) I DID GET ABOUT $400 OR ENGINE WORK DONE SO I PAID $5800. BUT I DO WISH TO PUT RUNNING BOARDS ON THE TRUCK AND REMOVE THE REAR TIRE AND PLACE IT UNDER THE TRUCK IF THAT IS AN OPTION I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FOR THE BOARDS OR THE TIRE
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard and thanks for that report!

I do recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
  • tcam95tcam95 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 rodeo.To those who has the same car as mine.
    How is your suspension?Do you guys have a good ride with your suspension?Because mine is really rough ever since i bought the car even after i place a new shocks in it is still the same.I mean everytime i ran into a bumpy road everything inside the car is bouncing my whole body is shaking,its really bad.Do i have a bad suspension or it just how the car build?
    Thanks for that i will remember that next time
    Well I also own a 99 Rodeo and its not too bad over major bumps yet but over train tracks it can be a little rough but i haven't made any mods yet nor changed the shocks. sorry i didn't have the answer for you but its a great truck!! hang with it
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I am getting to the point that i need to start worrying about replacing the timing belt (84K Mi) on '01 Rodeo V6. The issue of wether the engine is interference or not has been brought up a lot of times on this form and the answer was usually "not interference"... so... in other words... if the belt breaks no engine damage should be expected. However, I called 3 local Isuzu dealers and in all 3 cases their service managers told me that the engine is indeed interference and i really don't want the belt to break. Now, are they just trying to get me to the shop for the replacement or that engine is really an interference? Is there any official documentation that will clarify that?
    Ok, i called yet another dealer (the fourth one on my list) and they claim that the engine is NOT interference so if the belt breaks it wouldn't damage the engine. Now, i'm getting really upset :mad:

I think i'll try calling Isuzu directly and see if i can get any information from them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gates has a timing belt part number finder and they put "Interference engine application" in red in the comments when the engine is an interference one. I don't see that comment for your Rodeo.

However ... they call my minivan engine an interference one, and everything I've seen says it's not. :shades:

Here's a good reason to change it anyway:

marku1, "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems" #2276, 8 Feb 2006 7:19 am

Steve, Host
    well... i just got off the phone with Isuzu and yet another dealer... I think i was the first one to call Isuzu on that - it took them a good 20 min to figure it out but they said it's not a good idea to break it as it is an interference engine. The dealer confirmed it as well... so, so far i got 5 against 2 that it is an interference engine... and i better not wait too long before changing it... damn... it's like $150 for part only + at least $200 labor :(
    Hey everyone,
    I was looking to add clear corner and taillights cant find them online does anyone know of a site i can hit to get this done
    I think i've seem them on eBay
  • tcam95tcam95 Member Posts: 3
    What kind of shocks do you have?Can anybody here recommend me on what kind of shocks are best for the rodeo?
  • crfreemancrfreeman Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 2000 Rodeo 2wd which did not come with an owners manual. I would like to know the purpose of the Power Drive button, and since I live and drive mostly in the mountains when should I use the power button.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

:shades:
  • jfsstx1jfsstx1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,in reply to your question about the power button
    ,to the every day driver around town and so on the regular setting is just fine the power button comes into play when your towing or somthing where you need the longer shifts
    and max power from your powertrain if you notice just drive it ,say from a traffic light then at the next light
    apply the same pressure but turn the power option it really is a big difference ,just remember with the cost of fuel dont do it too much (alos try the winter option it wont let you spin the tires and once you get to speed it auto shuts off................