Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• renfrorenfro Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the backup lights not working... have replaced the fuse and the bulbs but they still do not work.
    i bought this vehicle used and so far had a really nice experience with this ride.
    other than the backup lights not working.
    if someone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.
  • al8729al8729 Member Posts: 2
    Hello

If your's or anybody's 4wd is still out action as of April 2008; I have the most likely solution for you.

First, I recommend you have a professional mechanic perform this task unless you are tech savvy enough. But just recently I fixed the "non-operative" 4wd on my 2000 Rodeo. Your problem is definately the 4wd actuator, on the front axle. It is behind a large, black steel plate which must be un-bolted and removed; along with the smaller skid plate. What needs to be done is to remove the actuator (housing cover only) and check/clean any corrosion on the sliding, crescent shaped terminals. Basically, the actuator works perfectly, it is just that lack of use allows corrosion to form on various electrical terminals; and the motor simply isn't receiving enough of the current when you depress the 4wd button.
    IMPORTANT - make timing marks everywhere - because you will have to remove a large plastic gear or two. The actuator will not function properly in the end if you do not. Note - do not un-screw motor itself, you must start your timing marks from its long plastic spindle.
    Next, after re-assembling the housing, unplug the cable that powers the actuator and clean the metal terminals with a long piece of custom cut eraser (preferably a bit of a white one, cause they leave behind no residue). This can be done with a small sharp knife.
    Finally, if you have put everything back together properly; the 4wd will work. You must be moving for it to engage. Turn the wheels as well, to assist the process. Good luck.
  • fluxflux Member Posts: 1
    Hi, there,

I changed the battery of keyless entry, but it cannot activate the door lock any more. It looks like the keyless entry is energized by the new battery for the flashing light when you push the keystrokes.

What shall I do? Thanks a lot!

• nyaznyaz Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 rodeo and am coming up on 100,000 miles. What does the 100,000 miles maitenance service include? anybody know? Any recommondations on what to look for? Any help would be great,

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what Isuzu recommends.

And it'll tell you what it should cost in your zip code.

The owners here will have have suggestions about "extra" repairs/maintenance to consider.
  • okmech1okmech1 Member Posts: 19
    I also have a 2001. It depends a bit on how you use it (on or off road, towing alot or not) and also what you have done to it so far. The biggest thing at 100,000 miles is the timing belt according to the factory manual (Haynes says at 60,000). Get either an OEM Isuzu belt or a high quality NAPA belt (will run about $50). Also, If you haven't done them up to this point, the spark plugs need to be replaced. Fuel filter, coolant replacement and transmission fluid / filter change would also be things to do soon.

If you have questions on these things, I'll answer what I can, but hopefully this gives you a start.
  • jmunleyjmunley Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 1992 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD with the transfer case built into the transmission. There is a fill plug at the top of the transfer case, a drain plug at the bottom of the transfer case, and a level check plug midway up on the passenger side of the transmission. I need to know what model of transmission this is. Any suggestions as to how to figure this out? The model choices are MUA, MSG, BW, and W/V

Thank you!

Jason
  • okmech1okmech1 Member Posts: 19
    There should be an identification plate just above the position switch on the driver's side.
  • suzie99suzie99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

Did you ever find out what this is? I have a 99 that just started to do this.

Thanks!
  • minhtranminhtran Member Posts: 2
    I have 97 rodeo speedometer light not glow up at night, but the RPM light is glow. May somebody give me a hint about it? light bulb? fuse or else? Thank advance for your reply.
  • quangvu101quangvu101 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I was wondering if you figured out the problem. I have the same problem as you described above. some told me it was within the engine please let me know?
  • bluebell3bluebell3 Member Posts: 2
    Check your Transmission range sensor. It is on the outside on drivers side. Can be cleaned out and rebuff the contacks bluebell2
  • ducks13ducks13 Member Posts: 5
    I have what seems to be a somewhat common problem on my 97 passport. I just replaced the head gaskets and went ahead and replaced the alternator (reman from Advance). There wasn't any problem with the alternator or blower motor before I did this work. Now the I don't have alternator output even though the alternator tests good. The blower fan will also not work unless I disconnect the alternator. Then it will work.

This seems to be fairly common problem on Isuzu/passports judging from the web post but no one seems to have the solution except for perhaps get a new alternator, not a rebuilt. I believe all was working fine when I first started the engine but i had a vacuum leak that I had to take the upper intake off to fix and now I can't get alternator output or the blower motor to work. The blower doesn't run because the relay does not close. As I understand the circuit the relay gets power through the battery indicator light and if the alternator grounds that wire as it should with the ignition on then there is no power to the relay coil.

Any suggestions?
  • brown703brown703 Member Posts: 8
    Unfortunately Ducks, you need an original alternator at the cost of about $300.00. The voltage regulators inside the alternators on the remans are not configured the same as an original. Your blower motor is wired to this voltage regulator which is why it will not blow.

The alternator will in fact test normal out of the car but it will never work, as the voltage regulator is the problem. This is very common on Isuzu's and Passports as well. I went through 3 alternators until finally I took my Rodeo to an auto electric shop and found out what the problem was.

I don't thnk that there is any other way around it....so Good Luck!
  • hill999hill999 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 rodeo and my check engine light stays on all the time and my gas guage is broking and my spark plugs act up and i have to change then every couple of 1000 miles. Mine burns water and oil, no leaking on ground, and now has begun to smoke white smoke only crank ups and idles. I also had the same problem as you, had clucht repalced and in the transmission the bearing rod that pushes into the tranmission was stuck. its suppost to go back and forth when u mash the clutch. cost a lot to fix. Labor clutch fluid lift lid should be right on top right abouve where clutch is on inside. Your clutch maybe the only thing that needs adjusting. Its easy to do need two people
    hill999
  • ducks13ducks13 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Brown. I think I had come to that decision today. I got an alternator from NAPA today (two from Advance previously) and it made the blower work for about 15 minutes and then quit. Now if I disconnect the alternator and reconnect it it will work until I crank the engine or turn the fan speed up or something and then it will quit again. It still doesn't charge. The Isuzu dealer told me that a new alternator is $540. Did you get yours from a dealer or from the electric shop?
  • minhtranminhtran Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I replaced the light bulb behind speedmeter, remember disable airbag before take off the instrument cluster. PM me if you need more detail. MT
  • elisabeth49elisabeth49 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Rodeo, every so often, i turn the key and nothing, no sound, no lights nothing. i turn it over a couple times and the "reduced power" light comes on and it won't accelerate, but the engine is running but not at full power. i turn truck off and on again and its fine. i went to the dealer, who says they couldn't duplicate the problem, and could not diagnose. anyone recognize this problem?
    my truck has 65k miles and needs a serptine belt but other than the above nothing wrong, i don't want to get ripped off .. cause it's obvious i know very little about cars.. if someone has any ideas please email me at
    elisabethshane@yahoo.com
    i'd sure appreciate any input
  • gasgreengasgreen Member Posts: 1
    What years prior to 1998 will the 3.2L V6 interchange.You can email me at sm1954g@yahoo.com
  • mex786mex786 Member Posts: 3
    you need to check the wires that connect to the battery. If you notice that there is corrosion or white stuff at the connections, you need to get it cleaned. Sooner or later you wont be able to start your car at all. (if thats the problem)
  • doughboykilladoughboykilla Member Posts: 1
    Hi im trying to replace the water pump on my 94 rodeo and cant get the dam blance shaft off the truck so i can remove the timming belt cover. I tried useing a impact and did nothing i tried holding the shft still useing 2 screw drives and the 2 round holes on the shaft and it ended up breaking the holds out of it so im out of ideas on howto get it off.

is there any kinda lub i can use to break it lose?
  • 92ford_rodeo92ford_rodeo Member Posts: 1
    so i have a 92 rodeo 4x4 and i saw today that it has a borg warner t5 transmission, which i know for a fact is a ford mustang transmission. i was talking to a master certified mechanic today and he thinks that with some fire wall modification and some electrical work i can squeeze a 4.6l out of a 96-98 mustang gt into my rodeo. i have the knowledge and tools i just need to know if anyone has ever done it or seen it done ( not necessarily a ford v8 but any v8) i mentioned that i wanted to do this swap to a co worker/hard core mudder and he said that a trooper suspension will bolt up to my rodeo and give me 2-3 inches of lift. and advise or input is appreciated
  • justanoxjustanox Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo with 68k miles on it and have been experiencing a loss of power and an obvious vacuum leak on the passenger side. I've replaced the Intake manifold gaskets and clean out the EGR downtube. does anyone else know where the leak might be coming from? thanks
  • acarterhsvacarterhsv Member Posts: 1
    hey i just want to know if its legal and how hard a job it would be to put a 02 rodeo engine in a 1990 model dao.
  • mccrorytrmccrorytr Member Posts: 1
    DTC;s 1515, 1225, 1295. Engines starts and runs. Has no power and runs rough. Any ideas?
  • superhornetsuperhornet Member Posts: 1
    Brianc,

I just replaced the fuel level sending unit in my 2001 rodeo, the dealer wanted $640.00 for the entire fuel pump assembly saying that I could not get the sending unit by itself. Lies, I found the sending unit for $40.00 at e-bay, and my thruck is working perfect now. the following links are for the ebay seller and his product. Good Luck!

http://myworld.ebay.com/awnicol25

http://cgi.ebay.com/98-99-00-01-02-RODEO-PASSPORT-FUEL-GAS-SENDING-UNIT-OEM_W0QQ- itemZ180308327411QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42604QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • NufSaidNufSaid Member Posts: 6
    2004 Isuzu Rodeo something wierd is going on the reduce power light comes on and i have no power tac wont go over 2,500 rpm.
    Top speed only bout 30 mph. If i get out and raise the hood and tap on the throttle body assy. Get back in the car it will start up and run fine. This may happen several times a day or it will go for several weeks with no problem. ANY IDEAS PLS or is there a way to bypass this. Thank you for at least reading this
  • bashiriyabashiriya Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I have a 98 Isuzu Rodeo LS 3.0. I put the car in reverse moves fine but when i put the car in drive it doesn't move unless i press the "WINTER DRIVE" button then the transmission engages and i am able to move fine but when slow down again to a full stop or slow speed i have to press "WINTER DRIVE" again to get moving otherwise i am stuck

I have no idea what is going on ... could someone please point me in the right direction...thanks
  • mdatlantamdatlanta Member Posts: 4
    Is your electical system producing >12 volts? The same thing happened to me and the problem on my truck was that the alternator had quit and I was slowing running down the battery. Your volt meter should read about 14 volts when the truck is running.
  • mdatlantamdatlanta Member Posts: 4
    1997 Passport:

Outside temp was in low 20s. When the truck warmed up, I moved the temp control to hot, vent to defrost, air intake to "recirc", and turned on the A/C to dehumidify. I got exactly the opposite--the windows almost immediately fogged up and I could smell what I think is coolant. Switching to fresh air didn't help. If I keep the temp control at cold, I find that the widows take longer to fog up, but they still do. The A/C seems to be pumping cold air (sort of hard to tell when the outside temp is coldish to begin with!), but I'm not getting the de-humidifying effect. I can hear/feel the A/C clutch engaging.

The fact that I can smell coolant and that the problem is exacerbated when the temp control is at hot makes me think it might be a leak in the heater core--hot, humid air is being blown to the windshield, fogging it. The problem with that idea is that the radiator doesn't seem to be losing coolant and I can't detect any leaks inside or outside the truck.

Is there a drain for the heater core box? Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!

Mike
  • marleyfanmarleyfan Member Posts: 1
    My son’s 2000 Rodeo transmission hesitates badly and has very little power in reverse. No problems in drive or any other gear, just reverse. What should he do to diagnose and fix the problem? The truck has 114K miles on it (not the original owner) and everything else seems fine. V-6 4x4. thanks
  • poleokpoleok Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 94 and I can't stand the fact that I can't put my clutch in and roll backwards without my hubs comeing out. It happened to me today and I almost ended up in the ditch. Can I put manuel hubs on it??
  • Hoot57Hoot57 Member Posts: 1
    Try replacing the TPS Throttle positioning sensor. It is on the passenger side of the throttle body! I have one if you need it! Mike T
  • motermoter Member Posts: 1
    Have you received any feedback on your question? I am having a similar issue with the oil pressure. The pressure drops to 0 when I am at idle but returns to normal when I am above about 1000-1100 rpms. I think it is the oil pump going out but I am not sure.
  • ezjc1ezjc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 rodeo ls and when I bought it, It had some modifications done and it looks like the straps for pulling the back seats up have been removed. Can someone please tell me how I can release the bottoms of the back seats so I can replace the straps. Thank you in advance.
  • ysletamomysletamom Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car used. But never had this kinda of problem. While driving the steering wheel kinda get hard when I need to turn or when applying the brakes. What can I do to fix it?? Thank You!!
    yes i need it pls email me thank you but it may be the throttle body motor itself thanks
    email is ferrellhodges@yahoo.com
    elect. system is fine i have no idea
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I just had the same problem repaired on my wife's 2001, and Paisan is correct, it is the interlock mechanism. About $200 parts and labor
  • humboldtjamiehumboldtjamie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Passport and I am having a heck of a time finding a used harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley and the entire fan assembly (hub/mount, pulley, clutch and fan). I have posted to many junk yards and the only thing that they can seem to get me is a crank pulley. I would just rather get it all at one spot if possible. Anyone know of a junk yard that is hot on Isuzus & Hondas? Anyone have a junker that they would like to make a little money with? Thanks
  • rtop6300rtop6300 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo and been experiencing problems with steering. The wheel, does not return to the straight position after turning. The steering is tight when turning and will not return. Almost feel like no power steering or rack and pinion. Took to a mechanic but they cant find out what the problem is. Problem does not happen all the time but is occurring more frequently. Tight Steering/turning. Thanks. Can anybody help!?
  • chrismr2chrismr2 Member Posts: 1
    Hum I went to smog my 1991 Isuzu Rodeo a week ago, and the truck passed the emissions part of the " test only" smog. But when the man came to take a visual of the smog system, he said ohhhhhhh nooooooooo, you took your smog pump off. I said i don;t even know what the hell it looks like much less took it off, Now remember the truck passes the emissions test, He tells me that my truck is suppose to have a smog pump on it. and mine does not. It is a 1991 3.2 L6C and it comes in to play that his smog manual says I should have a pump, Well guess what I dont, and he was looking at the 3,1 motor not the 3.2 because it is not in the smog manual. so guess what i have to go to the referee and have the state referee do the smog. SO i go to the ref and guess what he tells me One book says it has a smog pump and one book says it does not have one Oh joy now what NO SMOG CERTIFICATE IF YOU WANT TO KNOW AND SINCE THE TRUCK DID NOT FAIL SMOG DMV WILL NOT GIVE ME A TEMP OPERATING PERMIT SO MY TRUCK SITS THERE WITH OUT REG AND GONNA GET TOWED BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT BE ON MY TRUCK ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS FOR ME?????CHRIS THANKS
  • spankondrumsspankondrums Member Posts: 3
    I posted this on another forum, because some guys were having the same problem, but I never got a answer. So I am posting it here.

I have a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 I just changed the timing belt idler pulley and the tension pulley, it went great for about 3 weeks then about 4 days ago got this sound like the ones in those videos on page one. The thing already had tapping, but this extra noise is more than I can bear. It still has great power it has not lost a step, when it comes to power,I really hate to have to break this thing down again. But it does sound like those videos, I wonder if they could have sold me a faulty tension pulley and arm. It has 173.000 miles on it and the body is still clean it is not banged up at all, and I really like this SUV. So who knows what it could be, I think it has something to do with the timing belt system, then again I could be wrong. But it does sound like those videos. And as for the tapping the owner before me did not take great care in oil management. I knew I should have changed that spring loaded tensioner. That is the part you all are talking about aren't you ? And it is not the crank, knocking. And when I accelerate to enough rpm's it goes away, but at a traffic light you can really hear it. :cry: :mad: :confuse:
  • grayhair5grayhair5 Member Posts: 1
    my engine has been racing on 2rpm and earlier i got a tip to disconnect the battery erasing the computer. this worked for awhile but the problems has come back. all else seems to be working well but it still races so much i must press hard on the brakes when at a stop.
  • dmiah298dmiah298 Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was with your son's rodeo? Mine started with trottle position sensor problems, and after fixing that 1st gear started to hesitate before it would engage, then 2nd gear did the same thing, now I have lost reverse also. I am getting ready to put in the shop, but would rather know what to expect cost wise before I do. Very upset with this truck- I've only had it for 2 months.
  • jengirl029jengirl029 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm having problems with my 1999 Honda passport. I drive my car alot in one day and when I'm going from place to place and having to keep starting and turning off my car it starts to give me a problem. I'll start my car fine and then it will just cut off. The check trans light comes on for just a sec the goes off. I'll have to press the gas and turn the car on to get it to stay on. Sometimes when I get to a stop light it will turn off also, or the car will just rev for a while untill I press the gas or it will turn off again. I can't find anyone who knows whats wrong with my car. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Also, like everyone else my gas light is always on, even if i have a full tank. Has anyone had theres fixed yet? What;s the problem, how much does it cost if it's worth fixing. I can live with the problem I count miles pretty well. LOL Any help thank you!
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Clogged fuel filter maybe?
  • zman19374zman19374 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Isuzu Rodeo 3.1L V6 and frequently I will get in and try to start it with no luck. It will turn over just fine, all dash lights, radio etc work, yet it wont start. I have cleaned all the fuses and their contacts, the battery is fairly new and I have just put in a new starter. After about thirty minutes or so, the car will start and run perfectly. I have tried and tried to fix this problem but it keeps reoccurring. Also when not starting, if I roll and pop the clutch, it starts fine.
    -Zach
  • 32port32port Member Posts: 1
    Hi Just wondering if this window regulator is what moves the window up and down mine is not working but you can hear the motor turning in the so i think its the regulator but have never had one apart before. Was in a hurry to get it done so i could go to work in the morning so didn't play with it to much that night but need a new one.Is there any different in the different priced one one the net you can order? thanks