Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That's cool. Thougt only the LS and above on the Troopas got the LSD, actually I think all the troopers get the LSD in 2000.

-mike
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I just call my local dealer and asked them the same question. They said that if it's '01 (may be also true for '00) and is 4WD it does have LSD. He also said that when the truck is in 2WD mode, LSD is also working for rear only (naturally) and when it's in 4WD mode, it works for front and rear. He couldn't explain to me what the difference is between Torque on Demand and LSD (he was talking about some cencors, but couldn't get into much details) but he did say that TOD works better.
    Anybody knows what the difference is ?
    THERE ARE NO FRONT LSDS on ANY Isuzus (or any other major manufacturer either)

It's on the rear differential, and works in 2wd and 4wd.

TOD is the 4wd system on the Axiom and Trooper. It can be active on dry as well as wet/loose pavement. TOD will transfer power from the rear to front axle as is needed to keep traction. As a general rule it's 85% torque to the rear and 15% to the front with up to a 50/50 split. In 4wd lo, TOD equipped vehicles get a low ratio and locked 50/50 split front to rear.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I saw an article that Isuzu would be discontinuing the sport? It also talked about approx. 6000 layoffs coming for Isuzu? it was on fourwheeler.com website.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sorry I just pasted a link to the story over in Axiom, assuming that the Isuzu folks read all the Isuzu discussions :-) This story doesn't talk about layoffs much - more about the decreased production.

steve_ "Isuzu Axiom" Sep 26, 2001 7:41am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Paisan, you are right... I called different dealer and they told me that Rodeos dont have LSD in front, only on the rear. They also told me to look on the differential itself and see if there are two 'tags' there. If there are two, then LSD is there, otherwise it's not. I am not quite sure what they mean by two tags, but I'll take a look tonight. Do you know what are they talking about?

The moral of the story: it's hard to find a good isuzu dealer :-))
    The second moral of the story: Keep away from Tynan's Isuzu in Aurora, CO :-)))
    Look for the tag that says "put in LSD additive" that will be a tipoff that you have an LSD! :)

-mike

PS: All dealers suck, in varying degrees.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    There are several VIN decipherer's out there. I wonder if the you could tell by the VIN what type of differential you have?
  • karman1karman1 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 98 Rodeo LS 4x2,
    and I'm getting to the 60000 maintenance.
    My question is do I need to check all of the stuff on the list,like cooling and heater hoses, tighten the timing belt, shaft all that stuff, or can I just go a head and change all the fluids and oils, and leave at that , or do I need to do everything in the manual. and can anybody recommend some good brakes and rotors for a Rodeo.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Not sure of timing belt recommendation on your enigne but if it says to replace I would replace it. Hoses, inspect yourself for bulges, cracks etc, same for accessory belts but if you have the timing belt replaced do the accessory belts as well, saves labor. Cooling system, depends on when it was changed last and whether you have long term coolant At 60,000 plugs and depends on when you had other filters changed,. I never go to a dealer and say"do the 60,000 miles service" You will be raped. Most of what they do are inspections, or maintenance not required under your owner's manual etc. Ask them to do only specific items of maintenance and you will save money. Tranny fluid, diff fluids or gear oils dependfs on when it was done last.
  • tschencktschenck Member Posts: 3
    For anyone considering a Rodeo or Honda Passport, please reconsider. I have blown my second head gasket in 16 months on my 97 Passport (this, on a soccer mom vehicle). The first time was under warranty, this time it is not. Honda's District Service Manager for Wisconsin is offering to cover 1/3 the cost of repair! What a bunch of crap. My dealership says this has been a common problem and that the Isuzu guys are "used to it". My internet search also shows this to be a very common complaint. Unfortunetly Isuzu/Honda has refused to take any responsibility for this with a recall or other action. Don't make the same mistake I did.
    That is weird. I don't know of ANYONE who's blown a head gasket on a Rodeo '97 or otherwise. THe DOHC '98-> newer have had problems with intake manifold gaskets but there is a recall or TSB on it.

I never had a problem in 120K miles with my '97 rodeo. All I did was 2 sets of pads, 1 set of tires, and oil changes ever 3K miles. Ran like new when I sold it in '00.
    -mike
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I went by dealer today looking for a new Rodeo advertised at 0.0% financing.
    Yep can get it all right, if I pay MSRP. Oh, the $3000 rebate, yep off of MSRP
    which is still over invoice.

They deserve to have their SUVs rot on the lot with this crap!
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    It sounds like your dealer sux, do a search in VA.

http://www.isuzudealers.com/
  • 93saturnsl193saturnsl1 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know what could be making my '97 Rodeo 2.6 4cyl run rough and stall out when it's cold? It's had new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter and it still does it. Also every time we start it and shut it off, warm or cold, it seems kinda rough... you can feel it vibrate the whole vehicle. Also... do the valves have to be adjusted, or could that be part of the problem even? It runs fine otherwise, never uses a drop of oil and gets pretty decent gas mileage. Thanks for any info.
  • jbselljbsell Member Posts: 2
    my new 2001 rodeo shut down on me in traffic. a light came on reading "low power" and it wouldn't go over 5 mph. Also, it wouldn't go in reverse. The service techs are baffled. Anyone know what gives? Incidentally, I was driving in front of my wife the day before and it also seemed as if the lights were intermittently going brighter then softer. Any help would be beneficial.
    My guess is that there is an electrical problem, either a distribution or a power problem. The service techs should know that the "low power" light means there isn't enough juice in the system to run the distributor etc. I'd bring it to a different dealer.

-mike
    The winter is closing by and my Rodeo is the first SUV I've ever had. Any suggestions regarding using 4wd during winter time would be greatly appreciated. In particular, couple things that concern me are:
    1. What's going to happen if I go over 50mph with 4wd HI on? Is it going to switch it off? Is it going to give me a warning or just destroy the transmission. As far as I understood from the manual, 4wd would not engage if I try to engage it while driving over 50 mph.. is that really the case?
    2. Is it OK to drive it on 4WD HI on dry pavement? I just don't want to run into the "black ice" situation when there is a slippery spot on a relatively dry pavement. Also the roads are usually partially cleaned, so often there is a possibility of that from the dry pavement you can end up on the snow covered road.
    3. I understand that it does have LSD on the rear (you were right paisan), but what I don't know is how is it going to affect performance on the turns?
    4. Any other anticipated problems and issues?
    1) you need to engage 4wd below 62mph, over that you may cause damage. I've done it on my '97 rodeo at 70 w/o a problem. Once engaged you can go unlimited speed in 4wd
    2) on the rodeo you cannot run 4wd Hi on dry pavement. it will cause the 4wd system to get broken. only if you have TOD can you engage it on dry pavement (Axiom, Trooper)
    3) LSD will be unnoticed until needed, then it will prevent you from spinning a single rear wheel on ice, snow, mud, etc.
    4) No issues really. But in rain/ice/snow I would engage 4-hi

-mike
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    read this:

I am appealing for help with a problem that has just popped up and it appears to be electrical. The engine ignition (or that's my best guess so far) cuts out while driving momentarily (sometimes as long as a second or two, but usually just a hickup) and the temperature gauge twitches towards high and the u/s light twitches between normal illumination and quite bright. It sounds to me as though this could be related to an electrical recall having to do with the PCM ground which apparently did not cover my VIN. Has anyone else had similar problems?

OK, Here's the update on the electrical issue. First let me mention that the starter was also involved. At the time I wrote the first post I had just replaced the starter and hadn't fully comprehended the fact that it was all related until the car wouldn't start again two days later. It was not the starter. It turns out that my guess in the last post was exactly correct. The Ground (P10) was loose and is known to cause all manner of electrical chaos including computer glitches (fuel cutoff while driving), instrumentation glitches and starter failure. There was a recall on very early VIN's (I bought my truck within weeks of the '98 hitting the showroom floor and my VIN was too late to be included in the recall) and the factory "fixed" the problem, which apparently means that it takes much longer to show up now than it did before. This problem is also detailed in a TSB (sorry, don't know which one) which was released last august (2000) and covers all Amigos 1998-2000 (and I would guess this problem will continue into more model years) and may also affect ground P6. If you experience these problems (the first indication is that of a failed starter, which I have been told virtually NEVER actually happens to an Isuzu) Ask your mechanic to check these two grounds FIRST before doing anything else. You'd be surprised at the difference in the repair bill between tightening a bolt and spending 10-12 hours tracking a problem because the service staff doesn't ever actully read the TSB's Isuzu sends them.

here's the link to the above post ...

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000466.html

• dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Paison!! Does your owners manual actually indicate you can drive at any speed in 4 high? I have a 96 and my owners manual states " do not exceed 60mph" in 4wd high range.
    DCH
    Are you sure it say do not exceed 60mph in 4wd Hi, or does it say do not engage 4wd hi above 60mph.

On my '97 manual it stated: Do not engage 4wd Hi above 62mph. Upon further clarification with both Isuzu and the Isuzu Powers that Be (aka the guys on the wire, and the generally more knowledgeable people than I at the time) it basically means don't try to engage or dis-engage 4wd hi above 62, because the teeth of the gears won't mesh properly and can cause damage. Once engaged at a speed below 62mph, you can go as fast as you want. Although since the part-time 4wd-hi system is not meant for dry pavement, I'm not sure when you'd be on snow/sleet/ice/dirt conditions over 62mph. I did use it in heavy rain a few times at around 65-70mph.

-mike
    My manual stated under the heading Shifting Of The Transfer Control From 2h to 4h.
    Operate the lever with the vehicle running straight at a constant vehicle speed under 60mph
    Under the heading 4H (High Range Four Wheel Drive)it states that this position should be used in wet, icy or snow covered roads and provides better traction than 2W drive. Top speed is limited to 60 mph. in Drive (D) In 2nd and 3rd gear its 50 mph
    DCH
    What year/model do you have?

I was going by my '97 Rodeo.

I'll check my '00 Trooper one as well (I have TOD, but they include the operating instructions for the Part-Time 4wd unit as well)

On a side note the few times I drove over 62mph with 4-hi on my '97 Rodeo I didn't have any long term problems. (120K miles w/o problems)

-mike
    I just called my local dealer (The one I do trust) couple of minutes ago and they told me that they are not recommending switching to 4WD HI at speeds higher than 45 mph (the manual suggests faster speeds as far as I remember). However, he assured me that you can drive as fast as you want with 4WD HI engaged. He said it's a common misunderstanding of the manual instructions.
    I also asked him why it's not recommended to drive 4WD on dry pavement and he wasn't sure, but went to ask somebody. When he got back he said that the reason for that is that tires need some slipage, especially when making turns, and 4wd would not allow it. He said "try to make a U-turn on a dry pavement with 4wd engaged and you'll see what I mean" That's, as far as I could say, pretty much the difference between TOD and part time 4WD.
    Hope that helps...
    The reason is that the torque is locked at 50/50 when in PT 4wd Hi. This causes binding of the front axle parts to the T-case when making a turn. When making a turn your front axle will spin faster than the rear as you enter the turn, on dry pavement w/o slippage, you will be trying to force the rears to go faster and will cause the driveline to be damaged if you do it often. Tod allows the torque to be varied between front and rear and therefore can be used on wet or dry.

-mike
    I have a 96 Rodeo "S" Model. This is my third 4WD. I had a Jeep and a Ford F-150 and they all specified a max speed in 4WD. The Jeep was 55mph max. and the Ford truck I believe was 60mph.
    There is only a max engagement speed. :)

-mike
  • urchin34urchin34 Member Posts: 70
    I have engaged my 4WD a number of times on sandy steep hills to get to a mountain cabin. I was getting a lot of slippage in 2WD. Is this okay?
  • zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    Wifey just got a 2001 Rodeo 4-banger. This won't see any offroad. Which shocks should i buy (excluding the rancho 9000) to improve the bumpy on-road ride for the least money. Perhaps close to a Lexus ride :-> (lol)

Tnx in advance!
    Monroe SensaTrac: Part Number: Front - 37159 and Rear-37160

Lots of folks are buying these ...

http://www.a-1shocks.com/

80-90 shipped ... and They sell them at Sears for about 150.00 installed ....

For pure on-road, which one is better....more luxury riding?
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Haven't tried Sensatrac. Many swear by it too. After an exhaustive feedback search at the internet, there were two who prefer Monroe matic plus shocks over Sensatrac. The main reason was that Monroe matic has more linear response and on the other hand, the sensatrac can sometimes be very stiff. One complained of back pains.
    how's the ride on freeways and on small bumps with the Matic plus compared to the stock ones?
    I have owned them both and the Matic will definately give the better ride. The tracs are stiffer.Good for off road.
  • stamper1stamper1 Member Posts: 1
    I left my car parked for six days while on a trip. When I returned my 1999 Isuzu Rodeo, V6, automatic transmission behaved erratically. For the first couple of in-town trips the transmission shifted gears with a slamming noise - very rough. After a couple of short trips the problem disappeared. Any ideas what might have caused that to happen?
    But I know if the tranny temp is below X degrees it will not go into 4th gear no matter what you do to it. The 4L30 tranny is a good one, but it might be worth a trip to your dealer to have em check it out, unless of course it isn't doing it anymore. I'd keep an eye on it and pay attention once the weather gets colder.

-mike
    are there known oil consumption for the 4-cyl. (2001 rodeo) engine. just wondering since my '00 rodeo V6 and '01 trooper V6 do consume oil about 1 qt per 3000 mi.
    Zman,

From what I gather about 50% of the 3.2 and 3.5l engines consume about 1Q per 3K miles. I had a similar problem in my '00 Trooper. Once I got to about 8K miles and switched to mobile 1 oil, it only burns about 1Q per 5K miles now, which to me is perfectly acceptable for such a reliable vehicle.

-mike
    how about the 2.2 liter 4-cylinder?
    but there aren't a lot of 2.2l engines sold, so it wouldn't crop up in the Isuzu community as quickly.

-mike
    keep in mind that the 2.2 is a GM engine (an underpowered engine at that)-Ryan
    Is that a fact? So what other GM cars is this engine being used? Yes, it is underpowered if you intend to use it for offroad and/or climbing but it is definitely perfect for where we are (Southern California). Just a plain grocery-school car. Also getting 23.6 mpg is an added bonus. So is the $14,990 ($16,200 o.t.d.) price. MSRP was around $21k. No snow here either. In fact, two of the largest dealers here had more of the 4-cyl. than the V6 ones. One had 20-4 cyl & 8-V6 the other had 7-4 cyl. & 6-V6.

I wonder how reliable is this engine though?
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    it's a GM engine. From what I hear the 2.2 is quite reliable.

-mike
    I did a little research and found out that it is a Holden engine (a GM affiliate) being manufactured in Australia...as the body sticker says too. Now I wonder if it's only for thr rodeo or for some other vehicle too.

For the guys here who have the I4 engine....how is it running so far? Any comments?
  • tommcnabbtommcnabb Member Posts: 15
    I have a '01 Rodeo 4WD. Have been using Mobil 1 from the get go. Not a drop of consumption. I've had it since late May and already have put almost 12K on it.
    do you have the 4 or the 6?
    The Holden Frontera is the same as our Rodeo.

-mike
  • tally3tally3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ls 3.2 with 14k that I bought last November. After 3k this thing started knocking,I thought it was bad gas. I started using 93 octane and still it would not stop knocking. First visit to Isuzu,they replaced the knox sensor. No good results. Second trip to Isuzu,they said the calibration was wrong,they programed the latest calibration sent from Isuzu. Still no good results. Third time To Isuzu, they replaced plugs and said they had a new calibration to try. The knocking is still there on hills and the chatter is getting worse. I guess I complained enough to the right people, because tomorrow I will talk with some big-wig from Isuzu about what we're going to do with this piece of crap. I will say this about Isuzu,they are trying to be honest and straight up with me. The service rep told me they are having a rash of 2000's having this problem and are trying to rectify this problem as they go. If anyone has a 2000 out there and is knocking any time you touch the gas pedal,its not bad gas. I'll update you on how my talk goes with the Isuzu rep.
    Well that is good they are helping you out. I've seen way too many times people getting knock and the company not doing anything for them. Subaru has similar issues right now on thier legacies. I think they are getting re-programmed ECUs for them. Keep us posted of this and the remedy they did, so others can get theirs fixed too.

-mike