Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• skylerpupskylerpup Member Posts: 7
    There is no on/off button for the mirrors. When you turn on your defroster, it comes on then. It DOES work. I have the Rodeo LS and bought in back in 3/01. I was not able to test the feature then, but I've had plenty of opportunties to test it recently.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Hi all thanks for your great discussion. I am currently in the market for a used Rodeo. I would be looking for 94-96 models, with V6 (4cyl posible but would like feedback about light duty towing and fuel economy difference). I would use this as my daily driver so I need a reliable economical vehicle that can occasionally haul the family, get me out of the snow, and tow stuff. Any other vehicle that might be a good choice? I hate auto trannys, (poor long term reliability, decreased mileage, etc.) I would appreciate any comments about problems to look out for, good options to have, price etc. Thanks to all for your help.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I had a '97 Rodeo it was flawless in 120K miles w/o any servicing at all other than oil changes, brakes and tires. It was also an AT. Towed 5Klbs w/o a problem. Milage was poor but other than that it was great.

-mike
  • dakmaybedakmaybe Member Posts: 10
    Hey gang, how's this sound? 2001 rodeo LS 13,800 miles for $16,995. It runs great with good power and handling. Only complaint is rattling noise in the rear door when turning. Transfer of weight is causing a rattle inside the rear door. When I press against the door from inside, the noise is eliminated. Can Isuzu fix this rattle problem under warranty? Will they? Can they find the source of the rattle inside the door?
    Yep I bet they'll fix it. They should. Shouldn't be a problem. It may be an adjustement on the door. I know a few trooper guys who had rear door rattles and it was eliminated by an adjustment.

-mike
  • dakmaybedakmaybe Member Posts: 10
    Hey Mike, thanks for the reply...am considering the 2001 rodeo 13,800K for $16,995 but I think I can do a little better. That's a price without a trade. My only real concern is Isuzu relability and quality. I've read your postings here as well as the others...What can I expect down the road? I would like your opinion on whether or not the veh can hold up...can I expect rattles in the vehicle as the miles add up? what do you think? I would like your opinion on a veh to tow my 16' aluminum boat...total weight boat, motor, trailer is approx 1,000-1,2000 lbs. I would like to do it with a V6 Honda accord automatic but I think the veh would be a little under weight and under-powered for towing... -thanks Paisan

-tom
    Depending on your terrain, the Accord *should* be able to tow it without a problem. I have towed my 1500lb boat trailers with lots of small cars, but usually it isn't very far and not at high speeds or interstates. The Isuzus are very well built vehicles, they should only be bought if you plan to keep em at least 150-200K miles and about 8-10 years since they are great long-term reliability vehicles. Their fit and finish is probably in the top of their class behind the japanese luxo-brands. I had a '97 rodeo, went 120K miles without any maitnenace other than tires, brake pads, and oil changes. No other fluid changes or other repairs at all. I currently have a '00 Trooper and it has been great for 34K miles so far. You will probably want to change the shocks though, cause US sold Isuzus have hydrolic shocks that are worth about 10K miles and then they give up.

-mike
  • jsanchez4jsanchez4 Member Posts: 2
    hello every one just bought a almost new 2001 rodeo ls .8601 miles on it, what i was wanting to know is it came with the cd changer options but no cd player. dose anyone know of a good after market one that would fit in the cubbyhole underneath the stereo. thanks there is alot of good info here.
  • zaksdadzaksdad Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Rodeo LS 3.2 V6 DOHC pretty well loaded (don't think it will affect my problem).

In August 2001 I took my Rodeo in because I was going through about 1/2 gallon of coolant/week. Dealer pressure tested my system and said everything was fine.

Obviously everything was not fine and I continued to add about 1/2 gallon of coolant/week. Finally, a service station attendant suggested that I have the gaskets checked/replaced.

I took the Rodeo back last December 2001 and the dealer had the beast for 3+weeks and replaced the cylinder heads (cracked). This has not solved the problem.

I got the Rodeo back last Thursday (1/10/02) and filled the radiator and reserve tank to the "max" line on Friday morning(1/11/02). Between Friday and this morning (1/14/02) I drove 100 miles and my reserve tank is down to the "min" line.

Every time I stop the car and get out, I smell the coolant.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the fix?

Thanks for the help, I am about ready to ditch this vehicle.
    There is definitely a problem withyour cooling system. I'd check your oil to see if it's milky, and bring it to a different dealer to get it fixed.

-mike
  • bobg13bobg13 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem, the dealer told me that something about the aluminum cyl. or the block gets pitted and coolant seeps out of the water jacket into the cyl. He said there was a bulletin
    out from Isuzu on the problem. They have a special additive they put in and it solved the problem. No leaks yet. Knock on wood, that was back in August of 2001.
  • zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    all DIN sized cd players will fit there but wont work w/ your factory unit unless you buy the OEM players which costs a lot. but instead of spending money on the 6-cd in-dash just get a better stereo from your local audio shop. or buy an FM modulated CD changer.
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Does anyone out there have a 6 disc in-dash changer for sale? I have one in my Rodeo and would like to put one in my Amigo if someone has changed theirs out for something else.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to try eBay.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    Try www.car-parts.com they always have a bunch of them.
    -Ryan
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    97 Rodeo 3.2L seems to use (primarily in cold weather) coolant. Nothing like the post above, more like 4-6 ounces a month. No white smoke at start up to me knowledge?
    Anyone have this expereience as normal or is the head gasket starting to go at 71,000? As engien really cools off and on cold nights the gaskets small cracks permit some coolant into the cylinders? Anyone else?

The post above with a coolant smell,. definitely a leak, is the tank cracked at all?

Any ideas on an oil seepage on thsi engien around the alternator, does not seem to be a valve cover but oil drips down from the alternator area. Any gaskets, O rings seals in that area on this engine?
    Steve and Ryan, thanks for the advice. I have located several CD Changers plus a new rear hatch door that I had been searching for! John
  • melscarmelscar Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all. I just joined: found this site by chance when checking out car options. Am interested in a manual, 4-door SAFE vehicle that will accommodate a 5-person family, including a daughter who is about to take driving lessons :(. Read through the input to this site and am using it to evaluate an imminent purchase. Would appreciate any feedback on a privately-owned 97 Rodeo S, 5spd, 66k miles, for $6500. Also, a dealer has a 98 Rodeo, 5spd, probably S by the sound of the equip., 70158 miles, asking $10,995; I read all the negatives about the 98, and am wondering if I should even look. Again, thanks for any advice anyone can provide. -Mel
    I loved my '97 S Rodeo with the PEP package. Went 120K miles w/o a problem.

-mike
  • jsanchez4jsanchez4 Member Posts: 2
    zmman21 thanks for the info i will check it out. also do you or any one know where i could a set of alloy rims that came off an lse rodeo? the rodeo i bought has the cheap ones. any info let me know. thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We're glad you found us - Welcome aboard!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    jsanchez4,
    I'm pretty sure your dealer would be happy to find you the rims - it's going to cost you though. You might also check junk yards or get something that look similar at Discount Tire store or Big-O or any other tire store. It'll probably be cheaper than dealer's prices.
    My local dealer has rims in stock and the prices range from $180-350 each. Regular rims (the cheapest ones - not alloys) run for about $60-70 at Discount Tire.
    check:

www.aaarims.com

and www.car-parts.com

-Ryan
  • ottawaguyottawaguy Member Posts: 15
    I'm trying to decide between Escape/Rodeo(with GM discount)/2WD Trailblazer/Saturn VUE, and was leaning in the Rodeo's direction. However, I just read the "2000 Midsize SUV Comparison" on this site, and it scared the bejeezus outta me. The Honda Passport was tested, and although I know it isn't exactly the Rodeo, I was sure it was as close as can be.

They slam it big-time.

The biggest issues I saw were build quality, handling, power.

Any opinions? Set me (and them) right, please!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2000 Midsize SUV Comparison Test

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    In the '98s they had some teething problems going to the new model. the '02s are excellent build quality and you get much more truck for the $ than you get in any of the others. Not to mention their long-term reliability exceeds all the others you have listed.

-mike
    I have seen a few posts regarding Monroe shocks for the Rodeo. Does anyone have a part # for the Amigo? I tried a-1shocks.com and they told me the Amigo used different shocks than the Rodeo and Monroe didn't list them. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!
  • mnaikmnaik Member Posts: 5
    I don't care what model Isuzu or what year Isuzu you buy, it will have build and quality problems. I think Isuzu should get out of the bussiness of building SUVs and stick to building desiel engines. If sales don't shape up for Isuzu, General Motors, may kill Isuzu SUVs and save alot of people grief.
    I personally own a Honda Passport, and what a peice its turned out to be. When I bought the truck I thought it would be durable and reliable, but it has been niether. It's a 98 that rattles and squeaks, and after reading all these previous postings, I'm just waiting for my engine to fail.

You seem to take up for Isuzu, but you just don't know how far Isuzu is behind, Nissan and Toyota in build quality and reliability.

You keep pointing to the Tribute/Escape problems, but atleast in those cases the companies stood up for thier products and didn't leave the owners stranded like Isuzu has a tendency to do.

The only reason I bought the Passport, was because fo Dealer service from Honda, which is far superior to Isuzu. So far I have not been let down in any of my multiple problems from the guys at Honda. So basically, Paisan stop fighting a losing cause.
    Check the link for shock info:

http://www.fastriceracing.com/wwwroot/Personalpages/DaveC/Instructions/useful.htm

Monroe Gas Matics: Part Number: Front- 32336 and Rear- 32337

Montoe SensaTrac: Part Number: Front - 37159 and Rear-37160

Well I speak to over 50-100 Isuzu owners who have gone over 150K miles w/o any major problems. I personally beat the crap out of my '97 and never did anything but brakes and tires on it in 120K miles. My Trooper has 35K miles w/o problems, and I'm not gently on it. Toyotas are great but are 10-15K more for a similar vehicle.

-mike
    The passport costs more and has less than 1/2 the warranty! haaa

-mike
    I have been told by a Monroe Engineer that the Front- 32336 and Rear- 32337 will not fit a 98 Amigo. I looked under my 2001 Rodeo and they look to be the same as the Amigo. I called the dealer and they also told me that the shocks were different than the Rodeo. Has anyone out there put the Monroe's on an Amigo???
    I have owned 3 Isuzus, with lots of trouble free miles!

96 Rodeo
    98 Amigo
    01 Rodeo

Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Back in '96 I was looking at Passports and realized the price and warranty were for suckers. Especially since they have Isuzu stamped right under the hood!

mnaik, go have some cheese with that whine. If you love Honda so much go get on a waiting list and buy an Odyssey.
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Well, if you look at the listing (at least on my sales receipt). The Monore matic that I bought applies to 1998-up Rodeo, Amigo and Passport.
    drmp, was that for front and back??? Did you have to order them or did you get them locally. I have tried the Rodeo #'s and have had no luck finding them at any local stores.
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    I just checked my receipt. It's the Bilstein shocks that listed same number for the three. My Monroe receipt did not indicated which application. I pressume if other brands list same number for the three applic., it is safe to say that they have common part numbers from other brands too.
  • ottawaguyottawaguy Member Posts: 15
    Is the Rodeo what I want?

The more I research this vehicle, the more I question whether my needs are in line with what it delivers.

We need a cargo-hauling, roomy vehicle to complement a coupe as a 2-car family, that is comfortable enough for medium road trips, would not be used as a commuter, and can handle Ottawa, Canada winters competently. Plus a trip or 2 a week to the in-laws beef farm with a rarely-plowed lane way.

The primary reason I want a 2nd car is so that if my wife and I start poppin' out rugrats, I never have to leave her alone without a vehicle. I question the choice of a Rodeo for a few reasons:

1) What is its target market? Off-roaders who like to get to the trails in style?
    2) Is the initial quality an issue, whether it lasts for years or not? I've read a lot that questions it, not just the review in my initial post...
    3) Is this vehicle to be replaced by the Axiom as far as a primarily road-going vehicle goes? (ie - Rodeo is built even more tough and off-road able, while Axiom fills in the need for a road-going car-like truck)
    4) (For Canadian buyers) - are Isuzu's prices even negotiable, as they are under the Saturn umbrella in this country?

Thanks fer yer time!
  • slavigneslavigne Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have recently purchased a late year 98 Rodeo LS. I love the look and feel of the truck with one exception. When I come to a stop, I get a "clunk" like the drive train is catching up with the truck. This also happens when I take off from a light. It does not happen in Neutral or reverse. The Isuzu dealer here tells me that it is normal for a 4x4 to do this. I have driven other 4x4 including Rodeo's and they don't do this. Does anyone have any ideas. The truck only has 36,000 miles on it.
    The driveshaft u-joint could be loose. that is what is sounds like to me. or possibly the rear end.

-mike
  • slavigneslavigne Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have recently purchased a late year 98 Rodeo LS. I love the look and feel of the truck with one exception. When I come to a stop, I get a "clunk" like the drive train is catching up with the truck. This also happens when I take off from a light. It does not happen in Neutral or reverse. The Isuzu dealer here tells me that it is normal for a 4x4 to do this. I have driven other 4x4 including Rodeo's and they don't do this. Does anyone have any ideas. The truck only has 36,000 miles on it.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    The clunk when coming to a stop is normal I thought. I think it's just the tranny downshifting into first, but I could be wrong. The clunk when starting to go forward is not normal though. It could be the driveshaft U-joint as Paisan suggested or a much more serious problem within the transmission or transfercase.
    "Normal" roughly translates to "I don't know what's wrong"
    If it doesn't clunk going back and forth from drive to reverse it could be more than the driveshaft. I'd take it to another Isuzu dealer who is interested in really finding out what is wrong.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I can hear a clunk as well in certain cases. I've heard it couple times when I started from the stop light and decided to experiment a little bit. The clunk "is there" in 90% of the times when I step on gas not completely removing the clutch (just like when you start moving from the first gear) but instead of releasing the clutch to continue acceleration I drop the gas and depress the clutch again. The truck starts moving at first and, of course, stops acceleration when I drop the gas. At this point I can usually hear a clunk. It doesn't bother me too much because it doesn't seem to affect anything, but I am going to show it to the mechanic next time I take it for oil change. I can bet they'd tell me "they all do that" or "that's normal," but I want it to be in the receipt so that if it turns out to be a serious problem in the future, I can put that receipt in their faces.
  • mnaikmnaik Member Posts: 5
    Just because I'm a Honda man, that doesn't mean that I have to drive a that ugly Odyssey. I bought the Honda in 1998, because the closest Honda place to my house is 2 minutes away, while the closest Isuzu dealer is 35 minutes away, and anyways I got a pretty damn good deal on mine.

I paid $21K for my LX 4x2 V6 brand new, so I really don't feel like I got ripped by not buying the Isuzu instead. Anyways, whatever I may have overpaid, I have already reaped the benifits from great Honda Cust Care. And also at the time Isuzu only offered a 3 year 50K warranty, which is the same as a 3 year 36k one from Honda, because I don't drive that much.

Well, this is my situation guys, if all of you can give me some input. Like I said, I have a 98 Passport with 46,000 miles, and mechanically it has been relatively trouble free since I bought it brand new. The only problem is that all the sites that I check including this one and MSN Carpionts, have horror stories about having to replace and rebuild engines on the 3.2 V6. I am in college right now, and my parents bought me this truck when I was in High School. Should I go ahead and sell the truck or keep it until I finish school and hope to not have any problems with it.
    I personally am a huge fan of Isuzu Desiels, and I really don't mind my Passport, except for all the rattles. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and all of the guys in my classes including myself are simply in awe of the Duramax, which I think GM takes all the credit for, even thought its all Isuzulogy. I need to get another 60K miles out of this truck, until I can graduate and buy something else. I know that you are all Isuzu crazy, just like I feel about Hondas. Please help me with some suggestions. What do all of you guys, including amigo john and Mike (Paisan) suggest. Thanks for the input guys!
    Don't fixit. Just make sure to check the oil regularly (Isuzus eat oil for some reason) and hope for the best. Or buy an extendedwarranty if you are still under 36K.

-mike
  • jfiersonjfierson Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 rodeo ls with app. 21,000 miles. I have been hearing a noise while on the highway that sounds suspiciously like a cracked converter. At my last oil change, my mechanic indicated he thought that was it as well.
    Has anyone else had a problem with the cat converter that required replacement
    thanks
    But it should be covered w/o a problem under the warranty.

-mike
    I was leery of Rodeos after reading some reviews, but I leased a 96 Rodeo because the payment was cheap and wanted a bigger auto. It went 48k and 1 headlight went out and was replaced under warranty. I have 2 more Isuzus now.

The Rodeo isn't the best SUV out there unless you take price into consideration. What else can you get loaded for under 25k? Maybe a Rav4. A 4Runner is 12k more. My Amigo was $14,500 w/Alloy Wheels and AC. What can you get for that? Not even a lowly Kia.

If it hasn't given you mechanical problems by now it should go 120k with no problems if you take care of it. Sometimes the best car you can have is the car you already own if its paid for.

As for squeaks and rattles, have you ever removed any door panels, dash trim, etc. That'll make one rattle if not done properly. Heck, you're an ME, whip out the screwdriver, foam weatherstrip, etc and track down those rattles and fix 'em. If you'll drive to Alabama, I'll even help you.

I took apart a dash on a buddys '85 corolla that had about 50 business cards folded up and jammed in various places to stop rattles. Everytime I loosened something I would get hit in the head with cards!

Too bad Isuzu doesn't make diesels here. I have a VW Golf diesel with 251k on it and it runs like new.
  • karman1karman1 Member Posts: 25
    Hi to all, I recently went off-roading in my 98 LS 2x4 which was pretty stupid to start with. I did a lot of off-roading in this truck with no problems, until today, I was driving in mud when I lost traction and hit big stone about 1 ft in length and 6-8 inches high, I hit it with my right back tire. I was going about 5-7 mph, when I hit it I side-swipe it with my nerf-bar, bending the crap out it and putting a good size dent in the lower part of the door, I also damaged somekinda control arm in the back which is touching my tire now and makes and extremely loud noise. My question is, are does control arms that weak? and does anybody know where I can buy a just one nerf-bar instead of 2. I also want to ask the dealer if can some how putt better control arms on it, or maybe I should just get a better 4x4 truck.
    thank you
    Well first you should get boulderbars from Matt at http://independent4x.com these are strong enough to jack up the whole truck with. The rear control arms are strong but don't forget if a rock pierces it and a 5000lb vehilce is coming down on it it will probably not survive. Also when rock "crawling" you should be crawling not going over 2mph let alone 5-7mph.

-mike