Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    Unfortunatly there are no aftermarket single disk players that will plug into your deck other then the Isuzu one. One option is this Sony FM modulated one. Tune it into 88.7 FM and you can hear the CD:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4YNMTLHBspC/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158CDX1000

Or check Ebay for a used one. I found this one, but I have no clue if it will work with you Rodeo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1943831338

Finally you can do a search at www.car-parts.com and you will find a bunch of them at junk yards.

If it was me and I didn't use the tape player I would buy a whole new head unit. More power is a good thing.

-Ryan

• 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I don't know if you saw my post in the Isuzu Aftermarket Parts&Accessories, but I found that the local Isuzu dealer has a Christmas sale on all accessories with prices at least 30% off. Here is the contact info: http://www.mckinzeybond.com/parts.html Ask to speak with the parts manager Mike, he'll give you free shipping on orders over $50.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Thanks ryanendres!
    It's been sold in a day - i didn't get a chance :-( I am currently watching another one on eBay though... The current price is $5 + $15 shipping. The picture is pretty crappy and it came out of 2000 Passport. The seller says the color is tan. I just wonder if "tan" Honda color is the same as Beige Isuzu. Any ideas?
    The dealer still has it on order, but if I find it elsewhere I am planning to cancel it. they want $106 for it and it may be in late January.
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    Crutchfield offers a single disk unit that works with the stock isuzu radio controls. It looks just like original equipment. I think the cost is under $200. I would stay clear of an FM modulated unit if possible. The sound quality is a little off and the extra controller can be a hassle.
  • ckeemckeem Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a rodeo with 4 cyl, for its economy. Any thoughts about the 4 cyl model? Does it have reasonable performance?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    I have an 98 Amigo 4 cyl 5spd and a 2001 Rodeo 6 cyl Auto. The 2.2 4 cyl works great with the 5 speed and gets around 22 in the city. My Rodeo only gets 15 in the city. The 4 also does not burn oil like the V6 models have been known to do. At oil change time, I have noticed that the oil in the 4 is a lot darker that the V6. It has to work harder so I guess it wears it out quicker. As far as power goes, the 4 cyl with a 5 speed is not that far behind a V6 auto. The transmission is geared to compensate for the smaller engine so there is no lag or strain when taking off or going up hills. You can't stomp on the 4 and pass quickly like you can in the V6 and I wouldn't try to tow a boat with it but it is fine for anything else. I actually enjoy driving the Amigo more than the Rodeo!
    amigo_john, I think your 15 mpg has to do with auto trans. I got V6 w/ 5sp and I normally get 19-22 mpg (mixed city and highway). As far as oil, I had problems with the first 10K miles or so. I had to add couple of bottles of oil after the first and second oil changes. however I didn't have to add any oil after that.
    6cyl is definitely more expensive to service, but the difference is not that huge. The reliability of 3.2 V6 is supposed to be better, even though it mostly depends on your luck :-) In my opinion, Rodeo is too heavy to be propelled by relatively small 4 cyl even with stick shift, but I live in Denver (high elevation) and that definitely contributes a lot to it.
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Another big thing is weight:
    Amigo 4 cyl 5 Speed 3551 lbs
    Rodeo 4 cyl 5 speed 3701 lbs (+150)
    Rodeo V6 Auto 2wd 3923 lbs (+372)

That probably accounts for my Amigo 4 cyl being decent on power. I have driven a 2002 Rodeo 4 and it felt about the same. I have owned 4 VW diesels so anything else feels powerful to me ;-)
    well, my first car was '89 Tercel. I sometimes feel like I can load several of them in Rodeo and go camping :-)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They haven't mated a MT to the V6 in a few years IIRC.

-mike
  • urchin34urchin34 Member Posts: 70
    What's a lady to do. I want to change the shocks - sounds like Bilstiens the the way to go, but I'm not breaking these little finger nails until I have to out in the middle of nowhere. How do I find a local place to sell and/or install? I can find the Monroes all over the place, but not the better ones.
  • utvol1utvol1 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if Isuzu is planning on offering a diesel engine in any of their SUVs? If so where can I get information on this. Doug
    I've heard rumors, but it looks like Isuzu is gonna drop out of the SUV market completely...

-mike
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    The most recent rumor I read was that Isuzu will offer an SUV based on the Chevy Trailblazer, and it may be available with a diesel. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. If you want to read the info it is in a current Motor Trend online article about future vehicle forecasts. Sorry I don't have the link, but there is a pic of a Subaru Impreza for the article on their homepage.
    They have an SUV based on the Trailblazer the Ascendor, with V8 or I6 power. They may put in a duramax diesel in there. If they do it'll probably be available in GM trim as well so nothing Isuzu about it other than the Duramax engine. :(

-mike
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    The 2003 Isuzu line up can be had at: www.isuzunewsbureau.com Lets hope they stick around!!
  • kywstbridekywstbride Member Posts: 2
    Hi! My new Rodeo V6 has a strange smell. It only has 2000 miles and I have noticed it for awhile. It is almost like a sulfur smell and it seems to come from the right side of the truck. It gets inside when you open the passenger door. Anyone had this problem? I know I have to bring it in to get checked out...it's just finding the time. Thanks for feedback.
    Its normal. Its caused by over spray from the undercoating getting on the exhaust. As it heats up it starts to burn off. The smell will go away after the the first 5k for daily driving, and if you push it hard on the highway you will still notice it (after you stop) for another 5k. -Ryan
    It's probably the initial burn in of the undercoating on the truck. I know subarus that come fromt he same factory in IN smell for like 6K miles.

-mike
  • 57d57d Member Posts: 7
    Bought my daughter a used 2001 Rodeo, 4cyl with AT. Has a whinning noise comming from front of engine which i suspect is the timing belt. Have eliminated the serpentine belt as cause. Has anyone had a problem like this. Would appreciate any feedback.
    They usually just snap and bang the engine dies.

-mike
    Another common whinning problem is the power steering pump if it is low on fluid or going out, I would check that next.
    I agree with paisan that it is unlikely to be the timing belt.
    It could also be the bearings on any of the pulleys, including the idler pulley on the t belt.
    I am experiencing a "thunking" noise from what sounds like the drivers side rear of my 95.5 Rodeo. I only occurs when I am turning right and have my foot on the gas. I am guessing it is drive line or suspension related, but I haven't found anything loose. My other possibility is the arm holding the spare on the rear door being loose. I t is puzzling because no noise is present when going straight and I hit bumps. Anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    can some one tell me how fast i can go when i'm in 4 wheel drive high,and also i have a button near the gear shift for power what is it used for? does that mean that when i'm in drive it's overdrive and when i hit the power button i'm out of overdrive.it's a 2002 rodeo se...thanks
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    The transmission converts the torque to what ever power is required to move the wheels. (Think 10-speed bicycle). With an automatic transmission, the high gear is a direct driving gear. This provides the maximum torque required to keep the speed consistent. At a high speed the amount of effort on the motor weakens. With an overdrive transmission, the ratio shifts to .8 engine to 1 tires to allow the engine to rest at speed. Watch your tachometer to see the results. The overdrive drops the RPM which translates to less fuel burned, less effort, less wear and tear on the motor, less noise etc.

Your "power" setting overrides the overdrive gear to maximize performance from the motor. Your RPM will approach redline prior to the shift change.

Your maximum speed in 4 wheel drive is limited to your Trooper's ability to push two axles at an exaggerated low gearing. Be careful with speed in 4 wheel drive. Highway = 2 wheel drive. Foul weather/loose surface = TOD or 4 high. Mudhole-Wetlands-Soft Terra = 4 low.

Sorry gear-heads, I may have simplified things.

I hope this helps willie 340.

Lee
    Keep in mind that the Rodeo 4x4 drive should only be used in snow, dirt, mud, and slippery conditions. DO NOT operate on dry pavement. As for maxium speed I think it is 50mph.
    -Ryan
    I have to disagree on the TOD.

TOD should be used in any condition other than a perfectly dry day, when you are on the highway. TOD on a trooper gives you far superior handling especially in emergency situations.

Back to the initial question, you can run 4-hi or TOD at any speed up to redline in 4th gear. Basically you can run it up to 100+mph.

4-hi should only be used on dirt/snow/sand, whereas TOD can be used on any surface.

-mike
    can someone give me some suggestions on how to increase horsepower on a rodeo 3.2 v6 nothing too complicated like internal engine reconfigerations thanks
    thanks for the advice on 4x4 and the power button
    There is a supercharger out for the 3.2/3.5l engines. That will bump HP but not much else will.

-mike
    It's up to each individual dealer. No companies except for the luxury divisions (Caddy/Acura/Lexus/Infinity/MB/BMW) supply a loaner as part of the warranty. *Some* may provide a vehicle if the vehicle is undrivable, yours unfortunately is not undrivable so you can't really hold them to it. I think you are being un-reasonable in asking for a rental on a car with a bad blower motor.

-mike
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    you live in ny, and I live in Mass, I would think that not being able to clear a windshield is a safety issue. Would you drive your trooper without a blower motor? If it was warm out, I could care less. I am not asking for another rodeo, just something that can go from point a to point b. It is maybe 32 degrees today (in the sun)? Anyways, that what I had expected. Thanks for the opportunity to vent. Hey, what happened to my post?
    I've driven vehicles w/o blowers before, so yeah it might bug me a little, but the vehicle isn't incapacitated, ie: it still drives. Also like I said no company gives out loaners as a Std. Operating Procedure. I'd call around to some dealers and see if there is one nearby that would have given you a loaner for future reference.

-mike
    Actually I had a similar experience with Honda, and I traded the Accord in on a '02 Hyundai Sonata, they give you 4 days $25/day on warranty. It's not much but it would work in this case.
    The dealership that I bought the vehicle from changed hands, and the new owners seem different. The calls don't get returned, etc.
    Thanks
    Nate
    I have a 2000 Rodeo with 18k miles. The blower motor seized and took out the resistor pack with it. Funny how a $100 (guessing) blower motor protects a 25c fuse.
    Anyways, The dealer still doesn't have the parts (6 days) and the vehicle is needed. My understanding is that if a warranty repair that cannot be completed, and renders the vehicle undrivable, then the owner is a candidate for a loaner vehicle.
    I called Isuzu, talked to the Massachusetts case manager (Maurice) and he said I was "S.O.L." (short on luck, not really :) but to get past the edmunds screeners) Is it me, or is this wrong? After this I will not buy another Isuzu, even Hyundai is more help than Isuzu. Did you see the '03 powertrain warranty drop to 75k miles?
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    just replaced one on a 97 and it was about $300, same problem as you have. No warranty unfortunately, but they did have the part in stock.
  • xcokemanxcokeman Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 1998 RODEO V6. IT IDLES ROUGH AND STALLS. IT RUNS FINE WHEN IM GOING DOWN THE HIGHWAY UNTIL I HAVE TO STOP AT A LIGHT. I HAD BOTH O2 SENSORS REPLACED,SPARK PLUGS,THROTTLE SENSOR,AND AIR FILTER REPLACED. WHAT ELSE AM I TO DO.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    first turn off the caps lock :-)

How about getting a mechanic in the car with you when the problem occurs? Have you searched for Technical Service Bulletins on alldata.com? That may point to one common problem among all rodeo's? How about timing and/or idle adjusted? If it only stalls at rest, it could something as simple as that?
    Intake Manifold Gasket.

-mike
    I would agree with mike, It's about that time. An easy check for intake leaks is to take a propane torch (un-lit and on) and move it around the mating surfaces of the intake. You will here the engine speed change when you find the leak. You may also want to disconnect and plug the brake booster port (for testing) to see if you have a leak in the booster.
  • genienbottlegenienbottle Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to buy a used 1996 S 4x4 Isuzu Rodeo, does this model come with the automatic locking hubs or the manual?
  • brown55brown55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Rodeo that will exhibit the same behavior if the gas cap is not cranked down sufficiently and I really jump on the accelerator. Removing the gas cap and reinstalling corrects the problem for me. You might want to check your EGR valve.

-brian
  • xcokemanxcokeman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for everyones advice. I will try everything you suggested. It's nice to have someone to talk to when problems arise. :}
  • 57d57d Member Posts: 7
    The whining noise in my 2001 Rodeo with 4 cyl engine turned out to be improper clearance between the gears that connect the balance shafts and the crankshaft. I was advised by the dealership that this is a common problem on this engine. This engine is called a Holden engine with parts from quite a few sources and was asembled in Australia. Hope this may help if someone else is experiencing the same problem.
  • jminiejminie Member Posts: 2
    Engine in my Rodeo siezed on the way to work one morning. Towed directly to dealer. They claim I had no oil in the engine. I get the oil changed without fail at 5000 miles, so something pretty serious was up. I found that Isuzu claims 1 Qt oil per 1000 miles usage is "acceptable", though I've found internet threads that claim 1 Qt per 800 miles is what some people have found they were getting before trading off the truck. Being a mechanic in a previous life, I think this is extremely high.

Anyone else run into this?

1 qt per 1000 miles, 5 quart oil change (6.3 total quarts in engine), 5000 miles, equals little to no oil in the pan at change time.
    What year is your truck and mileage?

I have a 2000 and I was using about 0.5qt per 1000 for the first 15K or so. Now at 32k I use about 0.5qt per 3k. There are a bunch of other trends about oil useage on other boards. And yes many folks use 0.25 to 1qt per 1k. Also, you are correct that the manual states that up to 1qt/1k is within spec. Also, it states that you should check you oil every other gas fillup. After reading that in the manual and reading others posts on oil useage I watched it like a hawk. But now that the useage is minimal I only check it every 1k.
    -Ryan
    i bought a 2002 rodeo ,i now have 28,000km on it .i have to put in 1.0 liter of oil in every 3000km.i had a 1998 transport van before and it was never short of oil come 5000km.were is all the oil going? another thing i noticed is my gas consumption has increased.on a tank of gas i only register about 400km.where's the gas going?
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    I own a '99 Passport (rodeo twin) and I thought the '03 Grand Marquis (GM) will be my next car umtil I drove it 600 miles straight. I had mixed feelings about it.

The GM has excellent living-room sized seats with 8-way power plus lumbar on the front, adjustable pedals, very good road noise isolation, hugs the road nicely, soft on the bumps.

However, there are other things that left me scratching my head. The engine which is supposed to have more more torque and power felt rather weak. My 4x4 passport which is heavier can jump off the line with ease and with no sign of srain. The steering becomes numb and rubbery at about 80 mph and I had a hard time keeping the car inside the lane. In contrast, I can aim and shot with pinpoint accuracy in my passport at 80 mph, can even do a quick evasive maneuver in my passport without "wandering". And I thought GM's biggest improvement was the steering.
    I have a '02 rodeo ls v6 (19k), and the dealer has always changed the oil, they are cheaper than the quick lube. It uses about 1/2 quart per 3000 miles. I don't know how a vehicle using 1qt per 1000 miles can pass an emission inspection. That's a lot of oil to be burned.
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    and had excellent numbers at the emmision test. I guess the catalytic converter on these SUV's (rated as LEV) are pretty good in burning up the the pollutant byproducts.