Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• climber3climber3 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for steering me to the FAQ (no pun intended).
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Great board, nice people. I enjoy reading everyday

Wish list
    I agree with Starchecker. I should have waited for one with the navigation
    I like the after market navigation like the Alpine but still too expensive
    I wish they can offer Xenon headlights for the PF
    Better tires, although the Bridgestones are ok
    Should have a better fog lamp

I have
    Installed the rear window deflector (looks nice for me)
    Ordered the all season rubber mats
    26 tire pressure taken early morning in the garage no sun out yet
    Got the nose mask only for long trips to avoid marks
    Using premium after reading the pros and cons (Costco price is affordable)

Plan to
    Apply Zaino car polish for the first time
    (Any idea on the difference between Zaino car polish compared the other wax in the market?)
    Apply leather conditioner (any experiences with some products?)
    (Is there any suggestion when the leather seats be conditioned 3 or 6 months after?)
    Some day the Alpine navigation (big plan for me)

Loving
    The power (I am getting used to the mileage after a while)
    The way it looks (I still keep on staring at it up to now)
    Clean it a lot and keep the tires having those wet look
    The extras like homelink, auto temp, auto and memory seats
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    MY 2001 LE is only about a month old. Is the rear wind deflector easy to put on?
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I was reading through some of the 2001 PF owner's reviews at Carpoint's web site. One person mentioned that they had to replace their Toyo tires due to wear at 25000 miles. When I traded my 98 SE in at 63000 miles it still had the original Dunlops. I have noticed that the Toyos seem much quieter, but I hope it's not at the expense of 40,000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of wear with the Toyos?
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Just to add a little info from the shop manual.
    - You can program remotes yourself; no need to pay the dealer.
    - Only the dealer can program in new keys (needs the diagnostic computer).

pondfull5 -
    Glad you had a great trip (at least uneventful) back from Ottawa. I'm sure a few thousand in savings can make up for an unhelpful clerk at the DMV.

-Jon
  • denverndenvern Member Posts: 1
    How much do Canadian dealers sell SE's for in Canadian funds pls.

The MSRP is $40,000(CAN) for an SE with the Automatic Package, according to Nissan.ca but what kind of deal did you guys get?

Thanks
  • selight2selight2 Member Posts: 9
    I need some help on pricing. Last week I looked at a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE demo with 5500 miles. Due to the mileage it doesn't qualify for 3.9% financing or $500 rebate. Heres the info:
    2001 Pathfinder LE
    Automatic
    Manual 4WD (not auto AWD)
    Cloth seats (yes cloth - not leather)
    Sunroof w/deflector
    Floor mats
    In Cabin Micro Filter
    Molding
    Limited Slip Differential

MSRP is $32,354
    Dealer offered $28,173
    I thought a fair price was $26,500
    Vehicle is in excellent condition with minor rear bumber scrape. Any thoughts on a fair price?
    Canadian list on an SE with AWD and auto is actually 40,200 + 972 shipping = $41,172. Best prices I've seen are about $37,900 out the door (that's US$24,300 for you folks south of the border!).
    -Jon
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    I've been dancing around trying to force a decision for some while and have driven and evaluated new entries, i.e. Envoy, Highlander etc but feel that the two best values are the Pathfinder (buy in Canada) and guess what, an Isuzu Trooper. The Trooper has lot of virtues including Japanese built quality, a price around 22K but is just a little too "truck like."
    I've gotten most of the info from Jon on Canada but might call your contact in Thunder Bay. Would appreciate details on your quote (LE also), phone #, etc. Post here or my E Mail from profile if you prefer. I live in Kansas City, where is Thunder Bay? Thanks, Bob.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, look on the bright side Starchecker. If you had gotten the Nav System you'd have to stop your PF & open the trunk to load Audio CDs. Apparently the Nav System forces the 6 CD Changer to move in back to a cartridge type. Plus, it might not have even had coverage for those drives through the mountains. It seems if you're out of the detailed coverage areas you only get major streets (not sure what that means though). I had the choice to buy one with or without the Nav & chose to go without for these reasons... & I'm a gadget nut. I too am looking at the Garmin StreetPilot III. Any idea how much they're selling for? Hey Baddestbob1, the Isuzu Trooper may be Japanese built, but it's without typical Japanese build quality. In all the surveys, etc. Isuzu has been known to be very unreliable. I just got rid of a 1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo to buy my PF.
    Last week I found a NY Nissan dealer who had a 2001 demo Pathfinder LE with 5500 miles. It was not eligible for the 3.9% financing or $500 rebate because it was over 5000 miles:

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE
    Automatic transmission
    Manual 4WD (not auto)
    Cloth seats (first one I saw without leather)
    Sunroof w/deflector
    Limited Slip Differential
    Molding
    In Cabin Micro Filter
    Floor Mats
    5500 miles

MSRP $32354
    Dealer wanted $28,175
    I thought $26,500 was fair

What is a fair price? Any comments?
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    OK, call me paranoid, but I was checking out the safety/crash testing info on the Pathfinder (NHSA, etc)and am realizing that it didn't do very well in the tests. One of the reasons that I bought the car was that I thought it was extremely safe.

I imagine I'm a bit overanxious because we just had our first child, but still. Does anyone have any insight on the Pathfinder's safety history, or what the tests really mean?
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    you should get them to go down 8 to 10% of the suggested price.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    Don't Do it. I got my Pathfinder LE with all your options listed plus the leather for 31,300. That is not even the best deal possible. However not only does mine have leather, with power, heated and memory seats, it comes with the AWD and only 42 miles and pristine condition. That deal would not be horrible if you could get the 3.9% financing which comes out to $2700 in interest savings on a 31,300 PF. By losing the 3.9 it essentially makes your $28000 car closer to 30,500. Example: Payments on a 31,300 loan at 3.9% are $600 while a $28,175 loan at 6.9% assuming you can get it are 582. In otherwords for $18 per month you can get a brand new car with 5400 less miles, pristine condition, AWD and leather! One final way of looking at it, for giving up the leather package and all its options, losing the AWD, and a new car, and all the miles, you are only saving $800! You are right the $26,000 would be a more reasonable price! In my opinion if you are looking at payments in the high $500's, and an extra $18 a month gets you everything please do it!
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    Lots of new owners coming into forum, Eat your Hearts Out other Suv Owners. For you old timers and new comers I am getting ready to turn 12,000 miles. Never been more satisfied with a new vehicle as much as this one. Getting out of a Domestic SUV, 1 year old and only 16,000 miles, what a horrable experience, makes this vehicle a JOY! I have been back to dealer for regular service and thats about it. I LOVE this Truck, cant wait to pull the boat. Mileage getting better, last tank all city driving, 18 miles round trip per day was 16.8 MPG. Had been about 15.6 to 16.3MPG. Best highway MPG 19.6 to date. Will probably not be much better.
    Glad to see new folks coming into forum, Welcome.

Pathy 57
    Thanks for helping me feel better. I didn't realize you had to move the 6 disc in back. The more I read about the Garmin's Street Pilot III the better I feel. I have seen prices for the 32MB model for $880 and the 128MB one for $1090. They all include one detailed coverage area. for $99 you can get more or for $220 you can get all the US and Canada!! The advantages of the hand held are that you can enter addresses and plan trips on a computer and load it into the memory card instead of doing it all in the car. Plus entering data in a computer is probably easier than the indash. It isn't tied into other systems like the climate control. For 900 to 1100 you can use the GPS in any car you want, including a rental when you are on vacation if you flew instead of drove. That is big to me. Once we flew to chicago and had to drive to milwaukee we got lost in a very bad area!! Getting out to ask directions almost cost me my life! You can get the whole USA for $220 instead of $1200 in CD's. Although the 2002's will have one DVD. The disadvantages are it doesn't have a nice big factory installed screen, and isn't fixed with an external antenna. I really dont want to stick velcro on the luxurous dash. But since this new model has the turn by turn nav with voice prompts it has taken away a lot of the sting of not getting the factory nav system. When I get the Garmin I will tell more about how it works in the real world. All in all for $30 a month I probably still would have gotten the factory, but at least now I can truly enjoy this awesome vehicle without that twinge of regret.
  • linleylinley Member Posts: 12
    I bought a demo 01 SE 4x2 leather, sunroof, fog lights, auto headlights in mint condition...4900 miles for 27,000. The thing is it was no problem to get the 3.9% financing. They referred to it as not ever having been titled. I had to edit this because I just went back and read the second post about the 5,000 miles. It seems if you really want this vehicle that might be a good bargaining point and since it is now considered more as a used car maybe you could get him to come off alot more. BTW my sister ordered a brand new leather LE for 27,900. Although not 4WD...Anyway I probably should've waited and ordered a new LE instead of the SE since the dealer was discounting all Pathys 4000. Oh well I really love mine because it is the burnt cherry with the titanium fenders and the cool grill so I know it is hard to wait..Good Luck
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    This vehicle with automatic transmission lists for $40,200 + $972 freight + $500 A/C tax + 15% taxes.

I just took delivery of a sierra silver PF SE AWD last week. I paid $37,000 + all those extras above but dealer also included bug deflector, moonroof visor & wheel locks.

Already I have to bring this truck in for servicing. The steering wheel is OFF CENTER even though I'm going straight! Has anyone here experienced this problem? Is it a big deal?
    OOOOPS >>> I forgot to mention I financed my purchase of this fine vehicle at 2.8% through Nissan Canada.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    One other thing to consider. A car will not likely experience 5000 more hard driven miles than those put on it while serving as a demo. Everyone wants to punch it to feel the power. I would go for a new one with low miles.
  • just_acksjust_acks Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of buying a 1995 XE, 5-Speed and wanted to see if you all could alert me to any potential problems to watch out for on these vehicles. In particular, how long does the clutch generally last on these vehicles?

The vehicle has 53K miles and the owner is selling for 11.5K/bo.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I think that most of the people on this forum have recently purchased 1999-2001 Pathfinders and probably don't have a good answer for you. At the address below is a forum with many owners that have the Pathfinder you are looking at and would be better qualified to answer your questions. Also, while this Edmunds forum is very informative and helpful, the forum listed below seems to be frequented by people with more mechanical knowledge.

http://forums.vmag.com/suvpathfinder0200/

Personally, I think a '95 with a 5-speed with only 53K miles sounds like a great vehicle! Good luck with your purchase. I hope you get a good answer at the other forum.

• just_acksjust_acks Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the redirect to the other site.
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    pathy57,

I also just turned 12,000 miles and I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of my 01 LE. I can second that the gas mileage is getting better. At first I thought it was a fluke but I have recently confirmed this. Maybe some of it is that I don't nail the throttle as much as when I first got it but maybe some of it is also the engine settling down.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I bought a Pathfinder XE in 1994, being a new 95 model. I traded it in last month at 100,000 km (62,000 miles) and bought a 2001 XE.

I was happy with my 95, hence my purchase of another one. I had original brakes, muffler and clutch on mine. I had replaced 4 oxygen sensors under warranty (6 years back then), a pilot bearing for the clutch, and recently, exhaust manifold studs. I understand there was a problem with the manifold studs, but would agree with smithmd that the vmag forum is a good source of information. I sure miss my 95, even though I find the power of the 2001 quite refreshing (I live in mountainous country).

Woody
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    Best friend had a 95 SE with the bad studs that ended up warping both exhaust manifolds. Cost about $500/side to repair and it was not done under warranty because he bought the car used. Other than that, it was a great vehicle and I still think it's one of the "tougher" looking vehicles out there.
    wcroland,
    Installing it yourself is not difficult. You only need a philip screwdriver and a rachet. No drilling.

I found it a little difficult installing the new hinges because of the hydraulic (not sure of the right name) that pulls the window. You have to pull this a little bit to fit the screws back.

If you are one of those that do some household chores, you can easily do it. If not, maybe you can ask the dealer to do it for you for about $50.

Be sure you have all the parts with it specially the new hinges to replace the old one.

You will enjoy looking at your PF when installed. Good luck!
  • pathfinder14pathfinder14 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, 840 miles and already an oil leak. I took the car back to the service center and they told me that the rear main seal is leaking. It looks like the silver bell houshing that has a hole in it but not a hole. However it is leaking oil and lubricant from there. No problem until now. The technician said he will order the rear main seal part and it will take a day to fix it. Sad that this car has problems already. He said it might go awaY because the manufacturer put alot of lubricant in the housing but hopefully that is the case. Hopefully when I bring it in next week the problem will be fixed. Does anyone have the same problems. Please get back to me.....
    mazadi,
    I check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and here is what I found out:

PF 4X4 (just for comparison the RX 300 has the same rating)
    Frontal crash rating driver 4 stars
    Frontal crash rating passenger 5 stars
    Side crash rating driver 5 stars
    Side crash rating driver 5 stars

Roll over resistance rating has not been done for the PF 4x4 as well as the RX300. The 2X2 is rated 2 stars. The highest for most of the SUVs for the roll over is 3 stars. I think this is understandable for SUVs because of their height.

Because of the aggressive way in which the vehicle is driven and/or the age and skill of the driver, certain five-star vehicles such as sports cars, may have a higher number of rollovers per hundred registered vehicles than certain three-star vehicles, such as minivans, due to the fact that they are in more single vehicle crashes

Thank you for the query, I also learned after some research. Visit their site and you will learm more about these tests.
  • equimanequiman Member Posts: 12
    GM has just recalled all 2001 Envoys, Trailblazers and Bravadas. The situation is so serious that they advise you call the dealer to pick up the vehicle. Be glad you own a Nissan.
  • dave019dave019 Member Posts: 5
    I have seen alot of discussion on the in cabin filters, and was wonderiing if my 97 SE had one. I bought it used, so I dont know if there is one or not, and I dont want to start tearing apart the glovebox if I dont have to ! Does anyone know if there is one in my beast ?
    Thanks in advance
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds doesn't list it as either standard equipment or available an option.1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr SE 4WD Wagon. I think it probably showed up in 1999 (that's when the Quest got them, iirc).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • terrahawkterrahawk Member Posts: 10
    I bought a '96 Pathfinder a couple months ago ($13.5k). I assume you know that there was a major redesign in '96. I would be suspicious about the mileage (run carfax or something similar) although mine only has 56k as well. Consumer Reports likes used Pathfinders. My choice was the Pathfinder or 4Runner.

I saw someone mention the factory warranty and just wanted to note that it comes with the vehicle/is transferrable although I realize it would have expired on a '95. Mine has 6 months left on the powertrain (till 5 years).

Sorry, I can't tell you about the clutch but with the low mileage I hope it would be fine. I would recommend the Nissan 25 point inspection (it was only $25-30) before you commit to buy though, this can tell you a lot.
    Peter
    Does anyone know if Pathfinder 3.9% financing is still in effect? Edmunds doesn't list any information regarding special financing for Pathfinders. Carsdirect.com says that Pathfinders have special pricing but doesn't explain what that means (i.e. $500 rebate?). Is the 3.9% financing over with? Any comments?
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Just saw an ad for a 2001 Infiniti QX4 with about $2750 down plus security deposit and first month's payment for $399/mo before taxes. Anyone have a guess how much less the loaded LE would be?
  • lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    I am looking to lease an SE automatic with sunroof. I recieved an offer today from a dealer who has one in stock with the roof. However, for some strange reason, they put the entertainment system in this one. I really don't need the TV/VCR in my vehicle, it's just me and the dog. I think they are having a hard time moving this vehicle. Here's the deal: $409 per month/39 months/36,000 miles. $909 total due at signing. Here are the questions: If I really don't need the entertainment system should I lease this vehicle just because of the deal? Is this a good deal? Will I do better on an SE with just the roof, no TV? What are you thoughts on the entertainment system? My current lease runs out in June so I have some time to look, but I would just as soon get this done as soon as the best deal comes along. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
  • bob_pathbob_path Member Posts: 14
    After reading concerns about tire pressure, I would recommend that owners of newly purchased pathfinders check their tire pressure. I picked up my 2001 LE two weeks ago and checked the tire pressure on the (cold)tires today after being idle 4 hours. The PSI was 40. I immediately lowered to 28( 2 above recommended)
    Has anyone else received their pathfinder from the dealer with a tire pressure reading of 40?.
    After taking delivery on my new 01 PF SE AWD last week with 2.8% financing, I just saw a newspaper ad announcing a 1.8% finance rate >>> OUCHHHHH.

I suppose with declining demands due in part to the great NASDAQ/DOW stock market fall, this drop was predictable. Who knows...maybe 0.8% financing will happen at the end of the 01 model year!!!
  • lcoronadlcoronad Member Posts: 2
    From what I have read about the entertainment center in the new pathfinders is that they are pre wired(can someone confirm this) so that you can purchase an aftermarket system and put one in yourself. I would not base my decision on the Entertainment Center Alone. I mean I was given an offer on a 2001 SE 4WD 5M w/ moonroof and floormats for $27450, granted that is a purchase price and not a lease price also on a manual and not an auto.. I'm sure you can negotiate a good Capitalitized Cost for your lease. Now whether to base your decision on the Ent. Center is your decision. Just some food for thought.
  • path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    The tire pressure on my new Pathfinder LE was at 35 psi. I lowered it to 28 (cold). I always have run tire pressures a few pounds above what the factory suggests.

BTW, what are you folks getting for mileage on your new Pathfinders?
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Just checked the tire pressure on my month old 2001 Pathfinder - 47 pounds all 4 tires (cold). It rode fine, but out of curiosity, checked it, and have now lowered to 28 pounds, 2 more than suggested by the decal inside the glove box.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Read Karlamn message that dealer would have driven to border or you over the border and customs was surprised that dealer did not come with you. What can you save by doing that? Sounds like a great plan to me?
    Anyone know what that means???

Jon??? do you????
    Bob_path
    When I got my PF it has a pressure of 35 psi. I lowered it down to 27 cold.

Most (just being careful here but I think all) of the cars I bought new have a higher pressure than what is recommended. Sometimes when you have it serviced with the dealer they also inflate it higher. I tell them not to touch the tire pressure, but they still do.

I always check when buying a new car and after having it serviced with the dealer.

Path01 Mileage
    After 1,250 miles and wife driving it is 14 mpg. (it is about 13.3 to 13.7 to be exact). I keep record every week.

I tested driving very gently in the City and I got 15 mpg (14.6)

When it was new I did some freeway breaking in for 100 miles with varying speeds of 45 to 80 mi (late night to do this), I got 16.5 mpg. I did this twice almost the same result. I am in the bay area for those curious and I use 280 to do this.

When I was deciding what SUV to buy, I told myself that PF is one to avoid if mileage is a factor. Guess what I still ended up buying one and I loved it. Although I do not expect a big improvement, I think it will improve as the engine loosens up.
    In the long run it's even. When you buy in Canada as a US resident you will have to pay the national GST sales tax and maybe the provincial tax (depends on the province). But you get all the taxes refunded by mail after you take it home to the US (Quebec is the only exception). So you never end paying the Canadian taxes.

If the dealer brings the vehicle to the border and does the deal in the US, then you don't have to pay the taxes up front. This is what Karla's dealer said he would do. But no other dealer I've talked with will do this becuase technically they are now importing the vehicle for resale and become the "importer of record" and a bunch of legal stuff kicks in. It's probably a moot point though, because only you and he will know you did that. Importing it yourself is no big deal at all.

So anyway, it doesn't matter either way as long as you don't mind waiting for your refund. Remember this whole importing this from Canada is easy. It's not rocket science.

Just for the new readers here - about 30 people have gone to Canada that I know of (including me). Prices are way lower - many times $4000+. Also the automatic SE gets AWD like the LE has. See post #2 above for some info. Email me and I can help with questions and much more detail. Toronto and Vancouver are closer to many people than they might think.

-Jon
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I really miss the 280, such a nice freeway and the senary...beautiful, a very nice smooth road. I got two speeding tickets within one year on 280. It's so easy to drive fast on without even knowing it. I lived in SF for 18 years before moving to Palm Springs 2 years ago. Made a killing off the house in SF and living very comfortable in Palm Springs driving my 2001 Bronzed Gray LE. I just had to share this with a fellow Bay Area PF owner. I know the gas milage isn't the best, but it's a true SUV and what else would one expect. If I want good gas milage, I drive my 99 Accord occasionally, but I tend to drive the PF more.
  • crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    I, too, am considering going to Canada (most likely B.C., as I live in Oregon) to buy a 2001 Pathfinder LE. My question is, has anyone from the U.S. been able to trade in their old car in Canada?

Also, Jon Lofquist, could you please email me details on buying in Canada?

Thanks.

Sue
    crunchy@dsl-only.net
    Sue,
    That fabulous exchange rate that makes Pathfinders so much less for us to buy in Canada works against you for a trade-in. It's worth less up there. Also daytime running lights have to be fitted. You'll be much better off selling your vehicle at home. Even if you sell it to a dealer you will get wholesale value - generally more if you sell to a private party.

-Jon
  • crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that. It'll not only be worth less, it'll be worthless!

Anybody needs a 2WD 96 Chevy S10, just let me know. I mean really, who'd want a big ol' leather-smellin Pathfinder when they could have my adorable little wet-dog-smellin Chevy for so much less? ;~)

Sue
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe you should check out selling it via the Used PowerShopper.

Speaking of plugging Edmunds, don't forget the Friday Freeway chat tonight at 5/PST, 8/EST.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    For those interested in optional Nav systems if you didn't get the factory version. The Garmin Street Pilot III which has turn by turn nav and voice prompts can be purchased at gpssignal.com for 879 with a 32MB card. You can get one with a 128MB card for $1049. These are the best prices I have found.

One other question for new Pathy owners. When I went to pick up my vehicle they wanted me to sign the papers and do all the info stuff before I even drove it. They acted like I was a little strange for actually wanting to see the merchandise and test drive it before I commited myself to a $30,000 purchase. I had never even seen that particular vehicle as they had to swap to get the Pathy with the options I wanted. In Colorado we have a 3 day return policy so I guess I am protected, but they tried to do the same when I purchased my Sentra SE last year. Has the buying experience changed. I think you would have to be nuts to buy a car unless you have given it a thorough check out first.