Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The behavior of your truck's fuel gauge seems normal.

I don't have a 2001 model (I have a 97) but the fuel tank and gauge accuracy is the same as the new models. I can usually go about 60 miles on the first 1/4 tank of gas (from full), but by the time the needle reads 1/4 tank left, I know I've only got about 50 miles to go before the "low fuel" light comes on. However, there are still nearly 4 gallons of gas left in the tank when the indicator lights steadily.

The fuel gauge behavior on the Pathfinder is significantly different than my 93 Honda Accord (17 gallon tank), for example, which reads "FULL" even after driving over 100 miles.

As for the uphill/downhill thing, this is normal also, as the fuel level is affected by the orientation of the fuel tank and where the sending unit is located in the tank.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the unique behavior of your new vehicle.
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    What type of front wind deflector is that on your Pathfinder? How does it attach? Where did you purchase it,and finally how much? Thanks
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    As wookyr1 mentions above the most weight can be carried if you use the Yakima or Thule towers that fit into the side rails with the appropriate cross bars. But you can carry lighter loads such as skiis with the factory crossrails by attaching the proper adapters. For US models use Thule C27 or Yakima 10V or 23H. For the slightly wider Canadian rails use Thule C35 or Yakima 17V or 18H.
    -Jon
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I purchased my bug deflector from the dealer for $60. It mounts with screws in which the holes are already pre-drilled in the hood. Very quick and easy. That deflector is not the "Nissan" brand because Nissan had not released them yet when I got it but it is supposed to be identical.
    I used Meguiars to detail my pfinder. I first went over it with the professional series Swirl Remover and Deep polish which gets rid of swirls and small scratches. I then went over with professional series Show Car Glaze Pure Polish which adds the shine, and then finished it off with professional series Hi-Tech Yellow Wax for the protection. My arms were very sore. You never realize how big the pathfinder is until you wax on/wax off a total of 6 times. But it looks nice. Once i get going, there is no stopping me, I even wax my wheels, brake light lens covers...everything! I enjoy working on my cars so I dont mind the time and efforts. I used Armor All tire wet for the tires and any other black areas such as the top of the step bars and mud flaps. It's supposed to rain tomorrow but it will still stay clean.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Thanks to you guys for responding to my earlier post ...

DANOG >>> GO LEAFS GOO ... They are leadings their opening playoff series 3-0 over the #2 seed Ottawa Senators. Leafs will likely get their butts kicked once they finish off the Sens and meet the New Jersey Devils and vicious Scott Stevens! I am an environmental engineer and had the privilege back in January of sitting in a private catered box to watch the Phoenix Coyotes play at Air Canada Center. It's sooo much beeter than at home, even though I have a 61" Sony home theater!

BGRITZ >>> Sounds like you're a mechanical genius! Thanks for your input...I will now search for a Draw-Tite hitch. Any other compatible brands? Where did you plug in your wiring harness?

WOODYR1 >>> If I can find an engineering job out in Vancouver, I'm on the 1st flight! What beautiful climate you have out there! Did you buy or lease your PF? I bought my 01 SE AWD last month ... MSRP = $40,200 ... I paid $37,000 + $965 freight + $500 gas/A/C tax but dealer included bug deflector, sunroof visor & wheel locks. Also 2.8% financing (ONLY 1.8% now). For our American friends, the Canadian SE is missing only leather, power seats, woodgrain finish & climate control.

LOFQUIST >>> Thanks for the model numbers...I will have to check for the thicker cross members. Thanks!

Did anyone here have a stainless steel exhaust tip welded on their exhaust? Did you like it?

The PF is a fine truck, so refined with that throaty growl on hard acceleration. Just too bad about the gas bill, especially with rising fuel costs! Approx $0.90 Cdn per liter today in Toronto! That's $2.35 U.S. per gallon!
    That is one fine looking SUV! Pride of ownership really shows through in those pics you posted! I think I'm feeling "LE" envy now as I bought the "SE" to get away from the leather seats which my kids hated in the Acura I last owned. I love colour-keyed exterior mirrors and those rims are more agressive looking.

Jon >>> is vehicular crime/vandalism in your area? My insurance includes a 2-year rider where if my PF is stolen, Allstate will replace it with a brand new vehicle with no depreciation issues. Up cost is only $40 per year!
    Is the new 240 HP Altima getting the identical VQ 3.5 Liter engine that JUST debuted in the 01 PF???
    There is a lot of vandalism where I live. Last week every car on the other side of the street was spray painted and a friends truck was broken into right in front of my house. I am only here for another month though and am moving to Colorado. The only problem is that I cannot have insurance on my parents plan and it is extremely $$$$. Crazy thing is though the insurance on my 2001 Pfinder LE is cheaper than the insurance on my 1998 4runner SR5.
    It looks like the engine will be pretty close...here is a link that has some cool pics and great info...

http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissan/altima/main.firstreport.html

• sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Where do you live? I have a dark green 01 PF LE calling your name for a detail. The burnt cherry was my first color choice with the charcoal leather interior, but I bought one of the first ones delivered in my area and got my second choice of green/charcoal. The Burnt cherry looks great.
  • podagrapodagra Member Posts: 1
    I live in VA and considering a new pathfinder. I am interested in the SE with sunroof or the LE without leather -- not sure yet, about the same cost. I am wondering if there are any incentives/rebates. Also, I wanted to know if the interest rate is still as low as it was last month. If anyone out there is from VA and just recently purchased a pathfinder, how much will one set me back?

Thanks for the info.
  • sscherrsscherr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have two offers on the table for the Bronze Gray/Charcoal. First is $31,091 for LE, AWD, everything but navigation and entertainment. Second is for exact same vehicle except without tow hitch for $30,573.

Any thoughts on the importance of the tow hitch? I doubt we will ever own a boat or pop up camper.

Will decide today. Thanks.

Scott
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    The hitch isn't worth $518...especially if you aren't going to tow.

It makes a nice step and offers a little extra rear collision protection. Also, there are bike racks and cargo shelves/carriers that can be easily mounted on the hitch. And it is convenient to have the hitch and wiring already on the truck if you ever have need to tow a U-Haul.

Even if you do want the hitch for the reasons I mentioned, it still isn't worth $518. I paid $250 to have a Drawtite hitch and wiring installed at a local truck accessories shop. I should have done it myself and saved $50, but I needed it right then and didn't have time to do the install myself.

Congrats on your upcoming purchase! You're gonna love it!
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    ballfire8888:
    The harness is what they call a T-harness. There is a left side, & a right side that both join up and go to a standard 4-bar socket. The right and left sides just plug into the factory wiring near the brake lights.

For installation you have to remove a few of the trim and side panels in the rear cargo area, but it was actually pretty easy. To allow the wires to come out under the vehical rather than out the rear tailgate, I removed the starage bin under the cargo area.

Once this was removed, it allowed me to put a hole in a rubber drain-type gasket that went to the outside above the spare tire. I just fed the harness through and presto, the harness now comes out on the exterior, behind the hitch. After putting the storage bin back in and attaching the interior panels, you can't even tell that there is any wiring installed.
    good luck

sscherr:
    An aftermarket hitch would only cast you a few hundred at most installed. So I'd save the $518 untill you decide you need one.
  • wanton679696wanton679696 Member Posts: 4
    On Monday 4/16 my wife and I decided on a 2k1 PF LE. We agreed on a price(under invoice)with the dealer. The current Nissan fin for 60mths was 5.9%. Much to our surprise and delight, when we came back last night to pick up our PF, our sales rep said he had a nice surprise for us. We had signed all the paperwork on Monday, 4/16. They told us there were tearing up the old paperwork because Nissan had dropped its fin rate to 3.9 for the same time frame, effective 4/18.
    I know Nissan had a 3.9 rate which ended 4/2. We were not ready to buy then. Since we had already signed the paperwork they could have just let us
    drive off the lot and closed the deal. The cut in rate saves us over $1600 over the life of the loan. We love our PF.

Al & Ann
  • linsey807linsey807 Member Posts: 4
    I'm a new PF owner (2001 PF LE) and after 2 Jeep's I'm really enjoying driving again, especially cornering. I really love this machine. I am interested in adding the rear window deflector myself. I've looked at instructions on some of the great web sites posted here and then looked at my rear window hinge section.

There is a black covering over the screws where the hinges are attached and I'm not sure as to how to go about removing this. Do I need to? Does it just snap off? How do I go about removing it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • path63path63 Member Posts: 8
    First unscrew the visible set of screws. Then snap-off the cover that is covering the other set of screws.
    (NOTE:It is important to replace ONE HINGE AT A TIME. Removing both hinges simultaneously will disengage the window and it will be extremely difficult to re-mount.)
    Next screw the deflector onto the new hinges. Hope this helps.
    I live in the ghetto of Spokane, WA. It's not my favorite city in the world. I only live here right now because of school. Originally, I am from Billings, MT (where my pfinder is registered) I am moving to Denver in early May. Maybe this summer I will load up all my detail accessories and make a Pfinder Detailing Road Trip down to SC. ha ha. BTW, I only do everything by hand, no motorized buffers!
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I'd say you scored big with those seats at the Air Canada Center. We paid $85 Canadian last year for the nose bleed section.

Linsey807,
    The black plastic piece is held in with clips. I was not sure at first, but start at one end and it will pop loose. I had one clip missing when I pulled mine off, but it doesn't cause any problems. The Rear Air Deflector is the best addition so far. Going on 4 days and no dusty grime on the rear area like before.
    Good luck!
    Dano
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    You mentioned fixing some rock chips on your PF. What do you do to fix them - anything special? Did you get touch-up paint from your dealer? After only a month and a half, I already have a couple small chips on my hood that I'd like to take care of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, if I leave my PF in Auto 4wd mode & it automatically engages due to wheel spin, does the 4wd display on the dash change at all?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    it stays the same.
  • ced1ced1 Member Posts: 8
    podagra, I live in Northern VA and bought an 4wd LE at the end of February. I paid Edmunds TMV for Feb., the TMV now is actually LOWER! I am not upset because I got a truly fair deal on the Pathy at the time, and an excellent deal on my trade in. I recommend staying away from the D.C. area unless you enjoy the game playing that high overhead cost dealers make you go through. I traveled to Tri-State Nissan in Winchester for a fairly straight forward deal. Good Luck.
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    What's the name of the dealer in Baltimore offered you the low prices on a Pathfinder that you mentioned? Thanks.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    FYI: There will be a redesigned 2003 Pathfinder according to Nissan slightly larger than the current one. In addition to the Pathfinder there will be a FULL SIZE suv from nissan that hasn't been named, and it will not be called the Pathfinder. I'm really looking foward to the next Maxima redesign...I only hope they do a better job on the styling, the current styling is somewhat strange/awkward looking, especially from the rear end. I guess that's why they havn't been selling that well. The all new Altima that's arriving soon, will probably surpass the current Maxima in sales...a much better looking car.
    I purchased the touch up paint directly from Nissan. It is only like $5 that will most likely last the entire time you own the vehicle. I had some problems with the paint blobs that were somewhat obvious after a nice wash and wax so I purchased Langka blob remover...an it actually works well. Here is a link if interested.

http://www.langka.com

• mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    sscherr -

In January I purchased a Loaded (Minus the - Tow Hitch - Nav System & Ent. System) 2001 Sierra Silver LE from Tischer Nissan-Acura in Laurel, Maryland (3510 Fort Meade Road) for $31,000.00. NO ADDED FEES were even added went I went to pick the PF up!

Rich Belliveau was my salesman. He can be reached at 301-498-3322. He was very fair and very easy to work with. I got the price quote via email also, but I cannot find his email address now, sorry.

Good Luck! If you talk to Rich, tell him Mike Bunting sent you!
  • blincol68blincol68 Member Posts: 3
    Since you've been discussing rock chips, what do you do for a chiped windshield from a rock. It happend to me yesterday. Now I've got a small chip right in my line of sight.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    blincol68,
    Talk to an autoglass shop. The chip can be filled and any cracks stopped before they run. They still may be slightly visible, but all the ones I have had done have been improved markedly!

The cost is usually between $40 and $80 depending on the number and severity. Our insurance (USAA) waives the cost of getting the chips fixed because they know its cheaper than a full windshield replacement claims.
    Here's a couple of tips. You can buy a product from Bullseye to repair windshield rock chips and star damage (not the real long cracks). It costs around $10 CAD ($6.50 USD). It is a syringe with a clear resin that attaches to a plastic adapter that sticks to your windshield (centered on the chip). The whole process takes around an hour (of which 50 minutes is spent watching TV while it seeps into the damage area) and then an hour in the sun to cure with UV light. It is good for one application. I have used it at least 6 or 7 times and been VERY pleased with the results. They are almost invisible. It is at least as good as any shop I have gone to. I have 2 kits in my glove box at all times (repair the chips before the cracks spread).

As for paint chips, the LANKA system sounds like a much cheaper "do-it-yourself" system. Common acetone (from any hardware store) will dissolve touch-up paint w/o damaging cured auto paint. Perform your touch up ensuring that the paint "blobs" higher than the surface of the car's paint. When it is dry, wrap a piece of bedsheet (or other such tightly woven cotton) around a small, solid block of wood or metal (like a small version of a sanding block). Add a few drops of acetone to the cloth and lightly buff the paint chip. It will dissolve the blob until it is level with the surface of the paint. It works very well. Doing this with a thicker cloth or w/o the block will result in removal of all the touchup paint which is not the intended result.

Hope this helps.
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I don't know about the rest of you but this post has got to be the most useful one for me!!! Paint chips and windshield dings are one of my pet peeves. Thanks a ton phil47!!
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Where in Canada can we get the Bullseye stuff, Phil?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Great stuff; may need to link this thread to Maintenance & Repair somewhere. My ins. (AIG) picked up the cost for my windshield chip--around $40--and the guy came to my house to fix it.

I've also heard that it helps to put Scotch or other clear tape over the crack to keep the dirt out until you can get the chip glued.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Is manufactured by Loctite and is available from Canadian Tire....eh. I'm not sure where to get it stateside, but here is an online vendor selling the stuff:

http://www.autobarn.net/per16067.html

Has anyone hit the 12000 mile mark yet and started using synthetics?? Any difference in mileage, performance, smoothness??
  • linsey807linsey807 Member Posts: 4
    danog & path63:
    Thanks for the feedback. As soon as my rear deflector arrives I'll be taking your installation advice.

Has anyone noticed 'play' in the PF gas pedal? It seems that mine has about a quarter to half an inch worth of play in it. In other words, when I step on the gas for the 1st quarter to half inch of depression, it does not engage the engine (it does nothing).

Is this something I should be concerned about or 'normal' operation for a PF? I have a 2001 PF LE.
  • sscherrsscherr Member Posts: 4
    I am picking up my Bronze Gray/Charcoal Leather Nissan Pathfinder LE loaded with everything but entertainment, tow hitch, and navigation for $30,619 from Bob Bell Nissan in Dundalk. Ask for Mike Grimm. (410) 288-2500. Price includes freight. Only additions are tax and tags. 3.9% financing for five years.

I could have gotten the same vehicle with tow hitch for $31,091 at (1) Nationwide Auto in Timonium (ask for internet manager), (2) Sheehy Nissan in Glen Burnie (ask for Doug Prichard), and (3) Bob Bell Nissan (Mike Grimm). I decided I did not need the tow hitch.

Scott R. Scherr
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I have 13,000 miles on my 01 PF LE. Unlike many others who have advised against using synthetic oils in their new vehicles until a certain break in period, I have had Mobil 1 in my car ever since the first oil change. I use to work for Mobil R&D in the lubes group making this stuff and I have confidence in it. I don't really care if others think this is right or wrong. I have used Mobil 1 in all of my cars since 1985 and haven't had to get any major engine work done on any of them. I change every 7,500 miles and use only Fram filters. Nonetheless, to answer your question, I have had a slight increase in gas mileage (14.? to 15.?) lately as the engine has loosened up. Nothing great but definitely real and noticeable.
  • jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    I got my rock chip yesterday just right of the am/fm antenna thing on the window. What a bummer!!! But, glad to hear that USAA will repair for free. God, I love USAA...and my PF. I agree with others that this is one of the most helpful discussions I have read in a while. I just ran out and cleaned the windshield and put some scotch tape over it until we can get it fixed. Thank you for all the tips.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I agree with poswald, phil47. That is a very useful tip. Thanks.
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    it's common for the gas guage to fluctuate when going up and down hills. it's simply due the "bobber" measuring your gas level moving irregularly due to the gas not being level. since the bobber doesn't sit in the middle of the tank, going up and going down hills produce different results. i'm not positive about the quick drop after the first 50 miles, but it may be a similar thing. i know, on an older vehicle i had, some air pressure affected the reading. next time you fill up, unscrew and screw back on the gascap after a couple miles (maybe even do this more than once). you'll hear air being released, it may not be the cause but it's worth a shot.

-johnskev
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    Have a few pics of my truck if anyone is interested...

truck</a
  • rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    Highup: Nice truck! Where did you purchase your Philips Vision Plus.and what size?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Joe - nice job. I've been worried about that radiator since I first noticed it. Your solution looks like the thing to do. Any details you might give us on what the material is and how you attached it would be appreciated. I've also been thinking about removing the step rail...outside of making it easier to reach the roof, it's not much use.

Tom
  • joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    Yesterday, I brought my 01 LE to the dealer for a rear wind deflector. A guy just dropped a Bronze Gray (my color) 01 off & I noticed it had been striped in a darker color. Looked really good but I think it may look better in a lighter color stripe. Anyone out there had striping done? I'd love to see some pics.

If the line going up the middle of my windshield is the FM/AM antenna, then what is the rod that sticks up from my right fender for?!!
  • pat01pat01 Member Posts: 23
    joef4570 - As I understand it, we have 2 antennae (aka the Diversity Antenna system). Both the line in the windshield and the fixed post off the right fender (or automatic for our Canadian friends) are part of the system. The theory is that, for example, when you are downtown in a major metro area with skyscrapers and would normally have signal fade, the diversity antenna system will triangulate the signal and you will always have a clear and functional radio signal. Don't you just love the PF?
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Hi Folks,
    On my way back Canada this past Easter Sunday, my cd just stop playing. And it showed "error 2" on the radio.
    I took it in for service, and was told that a new RADIO has to be ordered and that it will take ten days to get it.
    Also this is a Canadian 2001 Pf SE 5spd. And I just picked it up on 3/30/01.
    The Pf. drove fine. It stood its ground among those huge rigs doing about 70 to 90 mph on I-81So. And in the rain too. So the 4W was in order.
    I was also playing only regular cds. So Folks, any advice on my cd player?.
    The sound system in these Pfs do need some fine tuning.
    Thank you all in advance.
    full5.
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    jmtreetop,
    Your truck is a class act. It is infact beautiful.
    But where did you buy the meguiars polish from.
    Thanks. full5.
    Thank you! I quick detailed my Pfinder today with Meguires Quick Detail Spray after a rain and it still looks like I just waxed it today. In addition, I had to fix some more rock chips. I get so many going over the passes in MT. I actually purchased some of the Meguires products at a local Target (which I found to be the cheapest) and I purchased the rest at a local automotive store (Schucks) which wasn't much more money. Definitely worth it. Meguires is the best in my opinion. Most discount stores and automotive stores carry their products. Check out http://www.meguiars.com/CarRx.cfm and they will hook you up with exactly what you need depending on what area you live in and how you want your Pfinder to look...very helpful...hope this helps.

JON