Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    TOVERANGA, the bulbs are called Philips AllWeather & the PF uses H3 bulbs. I bought mine through a company in England called Fosmo Lamps. Their web site is www.fosmo.com & yes I was speaking of the vehicle manual for the install. Good luck. Later...
  • nutsnuts Member Posts: 9
    li_sailor, thanks for the info and the web site.
  • davidbello1davidbello1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

2001 SE, There is a little play in the steering wheel. When i shake the steering wheel slightly to the right and left i can feel play in the linkage and hear a knock. Knock as i go to the right, knock as i go to the left...

I'm sure it was tight when i first got it, now 10k miles later... should i be concerned, is there anything i could do about it? Also, Nissan is not very cooperative in helping me fix the problem.

Thanks,
    David
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    davidbello1: about your steering problem...

i recall a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) sent out about some problem in the steering column. i tried to find it but i couldn't. can anyone help to locate it?

-johnskev
  • davidbello1davidbello1 Member Posts: 2
    "i recall a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) sent out about some problem in the steering column."

That would be great if i could find any information about this. It would give me something to work with. Any suggestions on how i might go about finding the Bulletin? Should i try calling Nissan?

Thanks,
    David
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's our link to the TSB databases. You can get a summary on the net, but you'll either have to buy the full blurb or ask your dealer's service department to kindly give you a copy. Even better, ask them to fix the problem (assuming you find an applicable tsb).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• mansdmansd Member Posts: 7
    I plan to purchase a Pathfinder from Canada within the next 2 weeks. Any thoughts or contact numbers about where to purchase it from?
    I also plan to move into Rhode Island after purchasing the car and was told by the RI DMV that I require an unplated registration for the car. Any idea about this?
  • lorensfishlorensfish Member Posts: 2
    has anyone experienced a slight vibration in thier auto trans 2001 4x4 pathy during its shifting?
  • steeldfsteeldf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SE.......CD player got an error message reading ERR2. Took it in and have to have the whole thing replaced. Anybody else have this problem? Only had the SUV a month.
  • shaka62shaka62 Member Posts: 9
    After I come to a stop and put the truck in park, I put the parking brake on before I take my foot off the brake. Then, with the parking brake engaged, I take my foot off the brake and the truck always lurches forward a few inches. How is that possible?

With every other vehicle I've ever owned, once the parking brake is engaged, the car doesn't move - as should be the case. Anyone have any experience with this, and if so, has it been taken up with a service tech at Nissan?
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    Steeldf,
    The ERR2 message was discussed awhile back, maybe on the previous threads. Apparently, some of the players don't like thick CDs or home made ones with self made labels. This is also mentioned in the manual. Some owners with this problem had the dealer replace the entire unit under warranty while others couldn't. Go figure. Sorry if I'm not much help.

Shaka62,
    The "lurching" thing, according to the manual and dealers, is normal. I'm assuming you have the All-Mode (AWD) version and you had it set in Auto. Mine LE does the same. Only happens in Auto Mode. I think it has to do with the center differential disengaging. If you leave your feet on the brakes and turn off the engine, you won't feel the lurch. Hope this helps.
  • silverse01silverse01 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2001 SE pathfinder less than one month w/900miles I have already taken it in for vibration problem. Was told it's "normal" and "they all do it". The mechanic and Service manager admitted it was a problem, but they could do nothing until Nissan advised them how to fix the problem. Test drove 4 on the lot, 3 definitely have it. Common denominator is the RPM level. Just as RPM level exceeds 1500, vibration occurs and will continue as long as RPM level is maintained. Although common at certain speeds, it still gets back to the RPM level. I think this is different than the "shimmy" problem relating to wheel balancing and alignment. The vibration is a sound you hear (low buzzing/humming) and feel in the gas pedal, passenger side floor and seats. Obviously, this is very annoying. I find myself now either speeding up or coasting to avoid this vibration, it's ridiculous. I find it amazing that more owners are not complaining!?!? Are they in denial?? What is the big mystery?? Surely, Nissan can at least tell us what the problem is. I intend to write Nissan and hope others will too. I think this is the only way they will act. If anyone has a clue, let us know.
  • shaka62shaka62 Member Posts: 9
    I guess "lurch" wasn't a good term to use. I'm talking about after the engine is turned off, with the tranny in Park and my foot on the brake, I apply the parking brake and then release my foot from the brake pedal and the truck rocks forward a few inches.

It is my understanding that with the parking brake on, the back brake pads are pressed against the brake drums and therefore the truck shouldn't move (and doesn't move with any other vehicle I've ever owned). So what puzzles me is how and why does it move?
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    I also had the same arror on my system, and i wasn't using any CD-R's. It can happen with regular CD's as well. Mine was replaced under warranty...lost 3-4 CDs out of the deal also.

Having the Air Bag sensor/part replaced on the drivers seat this Friday at my Nissan dealer. Apparently, this is a $1400 repair.(?) Good thing it's covered under the warranty!

Not sure of the details of this repair...but I think they are replacing the entire bottom seat section? What brought this to my attention was simply that the cloth that wraps under the seat had come loose and the seat wasn't automatically adjusting back and fourth as "smoothe" as it normally done since purchase.

I had the techs check it out and they told me they would have to get special permission from Nissan to order this part because it was so expensiove/unusual request. It was approved and i'm having it done in 2 days.

I'll get more details and post them here over the weekend if I can.

Still no "major" problems with my 01 LE after 6+ months of ownership...up to over 8K miles on it now also.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I don't like to spread rumors, so I will ask for confirmation rather than speculation.

Nissan is said to offer a car like suv this fall known only as the "TT" for now.

Similar in size to Toyota Highlander with a V6 engine and a price tag in the mid to upper 20's.

This would allow the PF to increase in size next year and complete to 2004 line up, which includes the launch of the full size pick up and full size suv.

My sales rep at the Nissan dealer has no information.

Has anyone heard about this?

My source is www.mag-x.com (under past scoops)
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,
    Thanks for the information gladiator.
    Regards
  • mike354mike354 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any trouble with the remote? Both of them lock and unlock the doors okay. However, one is able to set the alarm but not activate it when hitting the red panic button and the other remote does not set or activate the alarm. Additionally, the parking lights only blink when locking and not unlocking.
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    My vehicle had a RPM based vibration from the drive train (not tires). I got into a pretty heated argument with the dealer because Nissan says it can't be fixed.

Neither party checked the service manual, which clearly lists checking the prop. shaft runout. The dealer actually refused to check runout, "because a new car wouldn't have runout problems..." I haven't checked the runout, but mounting the shaft 180 degrees from original position reduced the vibration significantly.

It is a shame that there aren't many mechanics able to diagnose problems any more....

Regards,
    je
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    MIKE354... the remote entry has two modes. One, the horn stays silent & the lights blink when you lock the vehicle, not unlock. In the other mode, when you lock the vehicle the horn honks & the lights flash once I think. When you unlock the lights flash twice. You change between modes by pushing & holding the lock & unlock buttons on the remote for longer than two seconds. The instructions are one the back of the remote in case you ever forget. Later...
    I see your problem now. Have not experienced it myself other than when I park on very steep inclines and not pull the parking brake hard enough.
    If what jimxo describes is true, what's going to happen to the Xterra? Or is Nissan going with the ways of Toyota, with 5 SUVs, one to cover every demographic who wants a SUV or maybe just the image of a SUV. I guess if the need is there..."build it and they will come."
  • rcagateprcagatep Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my 2001 LE pathfinder. love the vehicle but after 1000 miles I am hearing squealing noise from the steering wheel when I move to left and right . I don't think it a problem but will take anyway to the dealer. Also, I'm six feet tall, My hair is touching the head liner and it is very aggravating. I've tried to lower the seats as low possible. I feel sorry for those buyers that are more than 6 foot. This is just FYI.
    Hello,

Does anyone recall what the residual value of an automatic PA is in Canada? I saw it on the nissan Canada site a while back, but it is no longer posted.

Thanks!
    I forgot to mention that it is a PF SE.

Thanks
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    jeckles:do you or any one you know have a dial indicator that you can install on the drive line and check any runout yourself? The service manual shows a maximum runout of .024 " and to measure the shaft in several places. It also said if runout is over the .024" to rotate 180 deg and if no improvement replace the shaft. The vibration should be at med to high speed and should not be porpotional to engine rpm. My PF has a very slight vibration at 22 mph and very smooth at
    all other speeds up to 75 mph. Me...

Thanks
  • dmahdmah Member Posts: 6
    I was reading this TSB - Can anybody explain to me "flares" in this case, I think that I may have it, but I can't describe it.

Service Bulletin Number: NTB00084
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 187
    Date of Bulletin: 0010
    NHTSA Item Number: SB618803
    Make: NISSAN
    Model: PATHFINDER
    Year: 2001
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
    Summary: CUSTOMER MAY COMMENT THAT THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLARES ON THE 1-2 SHIFT WHEN ACCELERATING HARD FROM A STOP AND THEN
    BACKING OFF ON THE THROTTLE. *TT

Thanks
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    DMAH
    i think i have the same problem too. It's like the transmission hesitates or jerks from 1st to 2nd gear and mildly from 2nd to 3rd. I think that the computer controls the gear shifting based on the RPM. Where can I find the TSB by the way?
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Please let us know what the dealer tells you. I have the same issues as well. I just want to know what to grease to quell the noise.
    Cheers!
    Does anyone have the detailed information by lofquist abou purchasing the Pathfinder from Canada? I would appreciate it if you can email it to me.
  • hattrick16hattrick16 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had trouble registering their Canadian PF. I live in MA and I have not even taken delivery of the truck yet, but I am trying to figure out how to do this with as little trouble as possible.

MA says that the NVIS. is not valid and I need a Certificate of Origin, (there is no such thing in Canada) or a bill of sale and proof of prior registration. I am getting a temporary trip permit from Ontario, but I am not sure they will accept that as registration.

Has anyone else had to deal with this situation when registering a Canadian PF?
    Here is what the Registry of Motor vehicles requests to complete a MA registration:

New Vehicles From Canada
    Customers must have ALL of the following:
    1."Unplated Registration" form (NOTE: a "New Vehicle Information Statement"
    is NOT acceptable)
    2.U.S. Customs Entry Document
    3.Bill(s) of sale providing a complete chain of transfers and ownerships

Any help you can offer is appreciated!
    The countdown is on....8 days until I pick up my 2001 PF SE!
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    My understanding is that a "flare" is when the tranny hesitates before engaging the next gear. This causes the revs to temporarily jump as the engine is unloaded before the next gear is engaged...hence the "flare". I used to experience it occasionally on my 92 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. I've never felt it on either my 99.5 or 2001 PF LE.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I own a 2001 PF SE AWD and love it. My buddy did his due diligence and purchased a HL! Before I made my purchase, I did try the HL but felt it was too much like a minivan. Anyone else here have any comments?

TIA
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I also test drove the Highlander and was impressed with the car like handling. But it looks like the last generation Honda Odyssey to me with a dose of the minivan gene. I went with the Pathfinder LE because it looks like what in my opinion a SUV should look like. I only wish I could get the gas milage the HL does, but I have no regrets. In comparison to my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the PF is superior in quality and reliability!
    Some of the dealers I have contacted do know of the unplated registration document required for the Pathfinder. Have you bought your vehicle already?
    How did you finance your vehicle? When I speak to the banks they say that they require a statement of purchase before closure. When I tell them that it will be in Canadian dollars then they say that they cannot do it.
    You can contact me at my email.
  • hattrick16hattrick16 Member Posts: 16
    It was such a pain in the butt to find out what the heck an "unplated registration" is...but after e-mailing the RMV here in MA like 5 times and talking to them on the phone for 1/2 hour today I have finally found out. When you pick up the truck the dealer they give you what is called in ontario a "trip permit" this lets you drive your truck home w/o getting ontario plates. It is a decal that goes on your windshield. This is what turned out to be the unplated registration. To get the trip permit you have to fax a letter stating that you are insured and a copy of your license to the dealer. My dealer is getting the permit for me for $20 cdn.

I am picking up my 2001 PF SE on friday from 401-Dixie Nissan in Toronto. I got financed through a credit union. When you make a deal with the dealer, he/she will fax you a "purchase agreement" yes the funds are in canadian, but it was ok with our credit union. Our situation is a little different because the loan officer at the credit union is a friend. He is going to wire the money to our bank account and then we will change it over to Canadian Dollars. If you have any other questions let me know.
    hattrick16
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    The maintenance schedule for my '01 PF mentions greasing the propeller shaft. I have a 4X4 model, and I see a grease fitting on the front shaft a couple of inches from the U joint next to the transfer case, but I don't see any grease fittings on the rear shaft. Is there just one lubrication point on the front shaft and none of the rear shaft? How will I know when I have injected enough grease? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Actually, I would like to have as much information as possible on obtaining this car from Canada. Any advice would be valuable as I plan to purchase this within the next 2 weeks. By the way whom did you plan to buy this from? Can you email me the info - dhhananjay@yahoo.com
  • ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Member Posts: 36
    At 17,000 Mi. My Toyo tires are cupping and noisy.
    Have had 3 alignments and 4 roate & balance.
    Can't get anywhere with dealer. Anyone else had
    a problem with Toyo Tires.
    2001 LE 4x4.
    The servive manual only show one lube nipple on the slip joint. I haven't lubed
    it yet so I can only say it's a judgement call. Dought if it could be lubed to much.
    The excess should flow out some where,probably in the middle of the drive way!
  • zenforgezenforge Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy an LE, and I like what I've seen re PF's except for (a) headroom, (b) rear seat, (c) max payload. Checking (a) and (b) during a test drive, but concerning (c): I've heard that the PF (with the opts I want) has a max payload of something like 960lbs.

Most of the time, I'll just commute, but if I'm taking my 3 buddies and backpacks, or some buddies and towing a sailboat, that max payload sure seems pretty low. My friends and I aren't overweight, but were pretty healthy and pretty tall. Should I be worried about this? Other SUV's seem to have at least a couple hundred lbs more rating...

Thanks for any advice or personal experiences...
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone!
    I have owned my new PF LE 4x4 for a week now and couldn't be happier. I got the crimson blaze red with leather interior. The first red vehicle I have ever owned. Just wanted to say that all the information about the pathfinder on this discussion board was real helpful to me in the buying process. I was also looking at the new 2002 Chevy Trailblazer but I believe I made the right decision based on everything I have read on both vehicles. Anyway, I will stay posted on how my new PF is doing in the weeks and months ahead.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    OK Guys,
    I asked this question on the Expedition board, but have had no takers. I am planning to use a hard shell rooftop cargo carrier this week on my other Car (2000 Expy EB 5.4L 4wd). Needless to say the gas mileage numbers already make my PF look like a hybrid. Anyway, is there any agreement on where to place the carrier to reduce noise and salvage gas mileage? Should I place it more to the front or to the back?
  • kevinmackevinmac Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how to access the National Rebates list for the PF? I can only access the regional list. Did they move or delete it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought we were bringing the "national" list back, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. Edmunds is doing all the incentive info "in-house" now so that may be one reason that feature hasn't made it back up.

Car_man over in Smart Shopper is a great rebate and incentive resource. If you have a specific "national" question, you may want to visit the Rebates and Dealer Incentives discussion.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• zenforgezenforge Member Posts: 4
    I heard a "through a friend" rumour about the engine mounts for their PF (not sure which year) breaking during off-road travel. I suspect the friend of the friend did something horrible, but wanted to glean info from other owners. Anyone out there heard of engine-mount issues, or experienced?

Getting close to plunking down that money for a new PF!
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Got shot down on request for refund on US Customs duty charged on Canada taxes. Most other buyers have escaped this but I got nailed for 2.5% on entire purchase, including natuonal and province sales taxes. FYI Customs also used exchange rate as of day I entered US, not sale date. Appealed to my US congressman who went to bat (he says) with DC Customs. Guess what, they're right, I'm wrong. You would have to be a lawyer to appreciate their reasoning that these taxes are refunded and are, therefore, rebates and fully taxable.
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    I'm heading to Vancouver Thursday to buy an '01 SE. What's the best way to move my funds there? I'm considering taking a bank draft in US dollars payable to myself for the estimated purchase price. I'll then use a Canadian bank or exchange house to issue a draft in CAN dollars after I've met with the dealer and inspected the vehicle. This gives me the flexibility to use a secondary dealer if anything goes wrong AND hopefully get a better exchange rate. Does anyone know where to go for the best exchange rates in Vancouver? PS - Thanks for all the great tips on buying in CN. I'm looking forward to the adventure.
    Someone had to # 3000