Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• stockstimingstockstiming Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the helpful comments and web site. It's very much appreciated.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    The 2003 PF is going to be larger and redesigned. Might have third row seats.
    Check Nissan new model matrix web sight. me
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the info on exemption and duty. I was in Canada for less than 8 hrs. So no exemption to me. I regret that US Customs does not unilaterally apply the rules. I dont know if I will contest for principle reasons. It appears to amount to nominal dollars anyway.

Jon, maybe you can add the exemption info and the Customs url into your info sheet.

I am quite pleased with my Canadian PF. I have not had this much enjoyment with any of my previous vehicles.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    glad,
    OK, I will add a little more Customs detail to the info sheet. I just didn't want to cause confusion since hardly anyone stays in Canada after getting their Path. My wife and I did a nice 5-day return trip which saved us a whopping $20 more in duty because of the exemption. This is all really simple and I don't want to make it sound complicated. Even with the inconsistant duty at the border, you still make out like a bandit compared to buying at home in the US.
    -Jon
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    It's very unfortunate that the scuffs on your rear bumper are down to 'the black'. The bumpers on the Pathfinder are a thick black plastic that is painted. Scratches that reach down to the black plastic cannot easily be repaired to be smooth again, since the plastic has probably been damaged.
    However, you can probably buy a small bottle of touch-up paint from your Nissan dealer, and touch-up the scratches. This will at least cover up the black plastic showing through.
  • nwwoodsnwwoods Member Posts: 21
    Dent Wizard, Superior, Mr Vinyl and Mr Xident are among the growing practitioners of Paintless Dent Removal. Like Novus and other windshield repairs, it's not perfect, but it's a lot cheaper and less invasive than the alternative. There is some interesting background info on this topic at:

http://www.autobodypro.com/tektips/articles/dent_removal.htm
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I have a couple of nice deep ones on the drivers side front bumper side skirt (very tight garage - touched against the concrete block wall while backing out and turning - sigh).

I am planning on using the rubber with double-sided tape on it to stick it on the bumpers. It will help reduce chipping on the front from rocks, and make the bumpers much more damage resistant. Just have to come up with a good source and design a pattern for the rubber.
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    I just installed a nissan bug deflector on my 01 LE,has anyone had any problems with theirs or comments? How did yall feel about putting that tape on your hood so it would not scratch the paint? Looks good though. Hope it will help from getting rock chips on the hood. Will find out on my upcoming drive from NC to Florida.Love this vehicle...zero problems!!!!
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Jon,
    Couldn't agree with you more. Zero problems with my PF too. Haven't heard any recommendations on what would be best to buy to avoid rock chips on hood and windshield. Anyone?
  • david3637david3637 Member Posts: 7
    Here's a bone for all you 2002 update hounds. Autoweek has an article in this week's issue about Nissan trucks. The article is mainly about the restyled Xtera and Frontier models. There is also a small blurb
    that states, "Look out for a restyled nose on the Pathfinder, that resembles that of the [2002] Xtera"
    Hmmmmmmm Perhaps they will make the new Rockford Fosgate stereo and H.I.D xenon headlamps options also. The Maxima gets xenon lamps as standard equipment for 2002. Let's wait and see.
  • sls666sls666 Member Posts: 10
    Re: posts 3103 & 3159 - I finally broke down and bought a bug deflector from the dealer. I had them put it on and so far, no problem. I drive on the expressway to work each way & have a hood full of dings and scratches. I didn't relish the thought of having my 6 month old car painted. I think it makes the truck look cool. I'm thinking about getting the wind deflectors for the windows next. Any suggestions on fixing up the dings besides touch-up paint? I've used it on some of the larger ones & it just doesn't quite match up. Thanks.
  • exzaveexzave Member Posts: 16
    I was wondering if anybody else out there has the SE w five speed manual. I decided to get the stick and am happy with it, but it does seem to be tricky to shift smoothly with out a bump. This is the first stick-shift I have owned so maybe I am still learning. Wondering what anybody else out there with more driving experience thinks. Test drove automatic but the five speed was just more fun. What milage do you get w 5 spd.
    I get 17-18 around town, 18-20 highway. Seems the gearing is a little low, but I appreciated it when towing a 2500 trailer.

Thanks
    Exzave
  • lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    sls666,
    How much was it for the bug deflector and installation? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with mine. I also am interested in the wind delectors for the windows. Any idea how much those cost? Does anyone have pics of their Pathfinder with these accessories? I'd love to see the look.
    After checking around in my area, the best deal I can find on a Class III trailer hitch installed is from UHaul...$198 installed. It is either a Draw-Tite or Valley hitch...they use both. The Nissan hitch just seems way over priced to me, however I do like the step feature. Does anyone know if this step feature is available on other hitches? I would welcome all comments. Thanks!
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Exzave: Yes I do have one and it great fun to drive. I think there are three of us on this forum that has it. In fact it was our great Jon L. and another gentle man who finally nail the coffin for me to get 5spd.
    Personally I think for all round truck it is the best to drive and for the money too. As matter of fact I was praising it last night on my way to NJ from NYC. Mind you, I have had mine for almost three months now. And I drove it from Ottawa, Canada to NYC new, and in bad weather condition which of cause forced me to engage the 4WD system for the first time in my life. And it was great.

The best thing to is to rent any cheap 5spd car for about week and use it for practice. It will be money well spent. 2) Read alot about how to drive a manual car. barns and noble, the internet, your local library are your best places to for these books. 3) Listen to the sound of the engine and watch the RPM reading and at the same time while balancing both your LEFT FOOT AND RIGHT FOOT. NEVER take your LEFT FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH TOO FAST WHEN SHIFTING FROM 1st. 2nd. and so on. 4) The Owners manual tells you at what speed to shift from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 AND from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. The 5th. gear is pure and simple an over drive.

Always shift from 1st gear when you come to a full stop. Also you can shift from 5 to 4 and so on to slow down the truck.

YOU AND THE TRUCK MUST BE OF ONE, BEFORE ANY ACTION CAN TAKE PLACE. YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN OF THIS truck.

I hope this help lead you to the road to love driving a manual trasnmmision vehicle.
    Full5.
  • sls666sls666 Member Posts: 10
    Irichards, I paid $60 for the defector & $40 to have it installed. I live in Chicago but took my truck back to the dealer in the 'burbs to do it. I would have done it myself to save the $40 but I'm somewhat mechanically challenged when it come to cars (o.k, I'm a woman). After looking under the hood & seeing how it was attached, I'm glad I didn't do it because I'm sure I would have broken it or worse. So far, I think it's money well spent.
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    You can see a few pictures here: http://www.fototime.com/inv/4A85874A7821769 On the left hand side you will see the link to 'Pathfinder'
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I purchased my bug deflector from this web site for $55. Got it within a week. It's designed specifically for the PF, so it even covers the 2 'points' that the hood has. It attaches with tape, but I also used 2 screws under the hood also just to be safe. Only took me 30 minutes and it looks great.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.macneilauto.com/store/STBUGDEF.html

• bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    We've had an '01 5-sp SE since June of 2000. By far it's the best mannered, quiet, fun to "drive" SUV we've ever had.

The 5-spd mated to the new engine is pure bliss in the mountains here in Denver. Sometimes I wish it wasn't so nice so I could gett a little more aggresive with it off road.

Has anyone really used their Pathy's on aggressive stuff. My buddy has a nice Tacoma that we took over Elephant Hill in Canyonlands UT last spring, and I'd like to possibly try it with the pathy, but am not sure. I would appreciate any input.

thanks in advance
    Brian
  • millhouser1millhouser1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the comments. xplorx4 and pathstar

Pathstar...I am trying to think of what your protection mechanism would look like. Rubber all the way around the bumber?
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Brian,

I've been doing some great off-roading in my 2001 LE. What area of the country are you in? Yeah, it's a little "plush" to be mudding in, but it's still a LOT of fun! I also don't go to the point where there will be body damage. I have a few tips for you (and all):

1. Fold your mirrors in earlier than you think you should. It's the most likely thing on your new Pathfinder to get scratched.

2. Wax or polish your truck often/before you go out. It will keep the scratches down to a minimum. My friend's Durango (only 1" wider) is covered in scratches from the same trail I went down. The branches drug (a word?) along the sides of mine, but when I washed it, not a SINGLE scratch! One word: Zaino!

3. Use your engine for braking down steep hills, NOT your brakes! Pick 4 wheel low and 1st gear.

4. The factory tires leave a bit to be desired. Besides the traction problem, I cut the sidewall of one open on a rock and am now running the spare. My set of Pirelli Scorpion AT's come in tomorrow!

If you want to chat more about it or see some pics of it on the trail, just send me an e-mail: ron.chase@internetmachines.com

Oh, xplorx4 does some outrageous wheelin' in his '97 Pathfinder (a bit more modified than mine... : ) )!

Captain Ron. . .
    I have '01 SE 5spd 4x2. Just came up on 10K miles. I totally forgot about the 7500 mile check-up. Just blew through-it. Have changed oil 3 times, though. What happens at 7500 and 15000 service.

Just got 19.5 mpg on last tank with lots of hard city driving. I think stick pays off more with city driving than highway as automatic locks-up at much lower rpm on highway.

Any way let me know if I should even bother taking it to dealer now (kidding..I hope).

Ex
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,

Should i change the oil on my PF once i've finished the breaking-in process? I'm almost at the 1600k mark, and have noticed that some owners have opted to change their oil at 1600k instead of 6000k(scheduled matinenace).

Thanks
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey KMRQ... A while back you mentioned you had found clear corner lights for your 2001 PF. Where did you get these?

Thanks...
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    omega11
    I change my oil every 3,000 miles or three months whichever come first. The recommended interval for severe conditions (that I use as my benchmark) is 3,750 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.

Some people think metal particles are collected for the first few thousand miles of the vehicle. I read in one article (but I cannot find it right now) that modern engines of today do not experience the metal particles anymore during the break in period

If you are not comfortable changing oil as recommended and wants to change the oil before that, go ahead the $20 is worth your peace of mind.

Exzave
    The schedules for 7,500 are the following (just referring to the manual)
    Replace - Engine oil
    Replace - Engine filter
    Inspect - Brake pads, rotors, drums and linings
    Inspect - Steering gear, linkage & transfer gear, axle & suspension parts
    Inspect - Drive shaft boots
    Lube - Propeller shaft
    Inspect - Exhaust system

If in your judgment your PF needs the above done, then you can still do the maintenance even after the 7,500 has elapsed. Only problem is that the dealers do a lot more that's why it is too expensive.

If you are in your 15,000 miles then just do this service. This will also cover most of the 7,500 checkups
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Taking the Pathy in for the 15k service in AM. Want to ask about the Temp sensor relocate to correct my outside temp display. It reads around 8-10 degrees high at all times in summer months. Someone else mentioned a new mounting bracket. Did it improve the readings? Don't want them mucking around with it if it is no better.
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    I had clear corners for PF (I believe I was the first one since I cleared the factory corners myself.) But now I was browsing through and came up on aftermarket clear corners for 99.5-01 PF. I purchased through eBay, and the guy who sells it has a website that sells it but I thinks it is still being constructed and redesigned. So for now only place you can get it from is eBay. On the search just put "nissan pathfinder clear corners". Search should show up few 96-99 clear corners and some 00-01 clear corners. It should sell for $39.99 plus $12 shipping. I think its well worth it since clear corners gives pathy a clean look. Also I recommend get silver covered amber bulbs from Polarg called visual bulbs or I think philips makes silver covered which gives clear look on the corners when bulb is not on so the clear corners won't reflect the ugly orange color in them. Personally I have hyper white bulbs right now.
  • coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    For those PF owners that have a 5 spd, I envy you. The only thing about my 2000 SE that I don't like is that it's an automatic. So for all you 5 spd'ers out there, keep it to yourself (joke). Wish I had one though. At the time of my purchase (Carsdirect.com), they could only find a black SE w/parchment interior. I have kids, so slate was more important to me at the time. If I wanted a black SE w/slate, it would have taken 10+ weeks from Dec '99. Could'nt wait that long.
  • tivmiketivmike Member Posts: 7
    I need help, and quick. I live in Texas and I am taking a trip to Canada (Winnipeg) at the end of next week. I have a dealer up there holding a Pathy for me. I've already put $2,000 down on the vehicle. Well I called my credit union down here a month ago and they said, no problem, we will cut them a check in Canadian funds, no problem.
    I called the credit union last week to get them working on it, well now the story changes. They say that they need the MSO (Manufacturer's State of Origin) stating them as a lien-holder before they can give me the loan. I called and told the dealer that and they said that up there they use the "NIVIS" (sp?), so they faxed the credit union that. Well the credit union said it is not the same thing. So now I am in a catch-22.
    Credit union will not give me the money unless they can be shown as lien-holder on the vehicle. Dealership won't give me the vehicle unless I give them the loan money.
    So.. what to do? As there are over 40 of you who have done this, I'm sure you can help me out.
    The credit union is suggesting that I pay cash for it and finance when back here. Uhh. sorry I don't keep that kind of cash lying around. The other option is an unsecured loan from them which equates to only $12K, which isn't enough.
    HELP! PLEASE!
    -Mike-
    mto@pobox.com
  • toplessfuntoplessfun Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me what R.P.M.'s you run at in 5th gear at 60,70,80 mph. I am looking to replace my '96 Path with 5-speed. On the '96 Path the 5- speed revs very high on the highway. Any one tow 3500+ lbs. with your 5-speed? The Pathfinder is a great truck. I have over 90k miles with only oil changes and several sets of new tires. Enjoy the ride.
    Topless,

60 mph 2400 rpms
    70 mph 2800 rpms
    75 mph 3000 rpms
    80 mph 3200 rpms

5-spd does seem a geared a little low, How-ever it pulled my 2500-3000 lb. u-haul just fine at 70-75 mph. I was wondering why 5 speed is rated to tow less than automatic, I think it is just CYA for NISSAN as there is more room for operator error. Will contact NISSAN somtime about it. Didn't have to start on inclines, not many around where I live :( But pulled from 1st no problem. Clutch is very precise, not good to learn on, but once you do it is worth it.

As for Milage
    Can't seem to break 20 mpg (19.5 sigh) on highway though although I have AC on full blast and pass just about everything, so I cant complain too much. How ever I still get about 18 around town, running every shift over 3k. So it isn't bad.

Exzave
    Thanks Filod.

Hello,
    I'm curious to know what you guys think about the Bose audio system that comes with the SE/LE versions of the PF.

Personally i think it's a little lacking in sound quality. For one, why aren't there any tweeters in the rear? Has anyone modified the sound system yet?
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Well people:

My odo now reads 10,000 km (6,000 miles) and I'm as happy as a pig in mud right now.

Some minor comments/questions:

1/ I put Mobil 1 synthetic in for the first time when odo read 4,000 miles. Should drain interval be longer than for conventional dino oil?

2/ Fresh air intake ventilation always seems to bring in warm air even when outdoor temperature is a relatively cool 65F. What's the deal with that??? Previous vehicles I owned seemed to draw ventilation air temperatures closely resembling outside air temperature!

3/ A full tank of premium octane fuel nets me a maximum of 300 miles. That is based on perhaps 50/50 city/hiway driving. Any over-achievers out there?

4/ Outside driver's side mirror vibrates slightly at hiway speed. Can dealers remedy this or should I stick some bubble gum in back of the mirror?

5/ My PF was delivered with a dealer installed bug deflector. They did not apply enough rubber stops and the deflector scuffed the clearcoat paint finish on my hood! They tried buffing to no avail. They originally placed a total of 4 stops under the deflector. They added 2 more after this incident. Because of this, I refuse to even let them do a simple oil change. I much rather do it myself, especially when they charge > $50 for synthetic oil!

Thanks in advance!
    sanandton: the new p/n for the sensor with a bracket is 27710-31U00. It solved the temp problem as far as I can tell. I installed one sensor with a bracket to the 6mm stud about 8 inches toward the drivers side from the pillar and tied the other to it. You could temparaily fasten both temp sensors to the 6mm stud and check the temp yourself just to see if you will be pleased with the displayed temp. Steve
  • hattrick16hattrick16 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I have a 2001 Canadian SE and I am installing the microfilter. Help!!!

In the directions it says to cut out the plastic section indicated by the picture...but the picture looks nothing like my PF. I don't want to cut out the wrong slot. Please let me know which one to cut out. The first slot from the right has 2 little knobbies on it, then there is a blank one, then one that says Nissan on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Those good old directions...Can't anyone write precise easy directions? Guess not!
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Just a wild guess about the difference b/t manual and automatic towing ratings. Could it be the automatic has the torque converter and can slip automatically? Even though I typed this out it doesn't exactly detail the way I see it working.
    ?????

Dano
    Thanks for the info. I asked the dealer about it and they said there was a new bracket for the 2000 PF. Not the 2001. I may ask about it anyway.
    Ran the part # by the parts dept at the local nissan dept. They tell me it is for Maxima 1994 and newer. I may give it a try. Did you have to do any drilling?
  • lesg2lesg2 Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking about putting a bra on my 01 SE (it's shy), to protect from rocks and bugs. Has anyone purchased one they can recommend? If so,let me know where your bought.

Thanks
    Les
    The bracket is predrilled and fits perfectly on the stud just add a 6 mm nut. I will find out in the am about 2000 vs 2001 vs the 1994 and newer Maxima. Did the parts guy give you the newer p/n for the 2000 PF? cheers
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a good product that can help prevent the moldings on my PF from fading? I park my PF outside, and have noticed that the window moldings are starting to turn gray. Has anyone tried the Zaino tire/molding gloss?

Also, what is a good product to remove the haze that builds up on the interior of the windshield?

thanks.
    Thanks. Didn't give a Part # for a 2000 PF or any other for that matter. Sounds easy to change. They want $38.00 for the part. Do you recall your cost?
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I'd bet the Zaino product works great for moldings. I've tried Meguires "Back to Black". It works, but doesn't seem to last very long.

Inside of windows (that stuff is from the plastic in the interior outgasing as well as air pollution from smoke) - I use isopropyl alcohol and distilled water 50%/50%. This is what most eye-glass cleaners are (with a bit of soap as well). Watch what kind of isopropyl alcohol you buy, as the rubbing stuff often has oil mixed in it. Be careful on the back window - don't wack the defroster connetions and don't rub across the pattern - you can damage them if you try hard enough.

As for the stick-on rubber bumper protection mentioned last week, I'm still looking for product and thinking of what design to use. Most of the vertical bumper surface would have to be covered (at least on my PF the way I park ;-). A good pattern choise would make it look ok, I think.
  • alibidalibid Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a used '95 V6 Pathfinder (I think it's XE trim level) automatic 4x4. I haven't seen the car yet, but I was wondering if there are any problem areas I should know about ahead of time. Since I live in the LA.. area and don't plan on any offroading, I would actually prefer a RWD model for its simplicity and better fuel mileage, but this is too good a deal to pass up (about $6500 with 80,000 miles). Are there any reliability issues related to the AWD system for this model year?

The engine specs for the '95 V6 list only 153 up and about 168 l.-ft torque. Is it very under powered? Adequate power would do for my needs.

Thanks for your help!
  • pogitopogito Member Posts: 10
    It is time for the 15K service on my '01 SE 4x4. As an incentive,the local dealer gave me a 2 year free oil and filter change as part of the purchase. I installed a K&N Airfilter on the truck after about 12 K.
    Now, the owner manual have a list of things needed to be replaced at 15K service and that includes all of the above. All the rest just need to be inspected and adjusted if necessary. I told the service man on the phone that they do not need to replace the airfilter, I will just clean it, and they know that I get free oil change for another 13 and half month. To my surprise,when I ask for an estimate for the 15K service, the man told me it would be about $225.00. I think this is ridiculous price since they will do very little work to my truck. What do you all think about this? I know it would be much cheaper to go a local shop but my question is will this void the warranty? Please respond, the truck is due for service tomorrow morning at the dealer's service department. Thanks.....
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    hattrick16: I installed one on mine Canadian LE about 6 months ago and your question prompted me to check the filters. The slot you want to cut out is the first one from the right (with the little knobbies). The knob on the bottom is used to hold the clip once you install the filters. Don't cut the slot with the "NISSAN" name or the one next to it. The coil is behind these slots.

A sharp utility knife works well. You will need to cut out the entire slot, including the middle piece, so you'll end up with one long slot. Install the top filter first with the "groove" side on top. Then slide the bottom one in with the "tongue" side up. Use the clip provided for the bottom filter and clip to the "knobbie". Reinstall the glove box and you're done.

I find mine to be fairly clean. Nissan recommends you replace it twice a year. I'll probably replace it once a year. It all depends how often you use the AC/fan. The only draw back is that the filters are not charcoal type to remove the odors/fumes from the outside. Anyone know if the QX4 uses charcoal filters or where I can get some ordered?
  • mansdmansd Member Posts: 7
    You can obtain a personal loan from a bank at a higher interest rate. Once you have the car in this country you can refinance through your credit union.
    The 15k service is the same as the 7500mi service. The filters are not due until 30k unless needed. $250 for an oil & filter change and an ounce or so of grease in the prop shaft splines??? Might want to check for dust accumulation on the throttle valve due to the K&N air filter.
    $38 is the same that I paid. I only purchased 1 to replace the one I broke. Did you temp. change the location of the sensors to see if this will solve your problem?
  • msu94msu94 Member Posts: 1
    On my Nissan, the cruise control vacuum hose is not connected to anything. Where on the throttle body does it hook up to?

Also, however since this could be my imagination, my engine seems to be a lot noisier lately. Its not really engine noise, but seems to be the fan. The sound itself doesnt seem unusual, just that it is a lot louder. Its often louder than the engine itself. Any possibility it is something else like a bearing?

Whats the easier way to change the transmission drive ratio? Its an automatic 3 speed and the engine turns way too fast on the highway. Its hits 3000 rpm before it gets to 60 mph.
    Just had mine at local Nissan/Carmax. Cost was $92.00 dollars. Basically oil change, Tire rotate & Balance, and an extensive check to tell me it is a well built vehicle and nothing is wrong. I already knew that.