Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    tonveranga: Several have mentioned that there is a problem shifting. Most
    call it a "flare" than a jerk. I haven't contacted the dealer about it yet. Might
    call monday.
  • baydogbaydog Member Posts: 15
    I'm about to buy a new SE 4x4 automatic. Which tires do I want on the truck? Bridgestone, Toyo, ?? Thanks in advance.
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Depends on use.

If you want rugged all terrain tires...

Bridgestome AT KOs have been highly regarded.

I just put GoodYear AT/S on my brand-new XTerra- very pleased with the low road noise as well as the very aggressive look. It made the entire vehicle look WAY better.

What is stock on the PF? Goodrich Longtrails are nice and are often on the Nissans. (BF Longtrails were on the XE Xterra, and cheap General Grabbers were on the SE which I purchased and replaced).
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Excellent question on 5spds. Here's what I have found.... Actually kind of a chicken and the egg thing. The US dealers all tell me they have little call for 5spds so they don't order them. Then when a customer comes in looking for one (like me!), the salesmen say they don't have any and you have to get an auto. So most people finally give in and buy the auto. The sales manager never knows that the customer first wanted a 5spd (or doesn't care). So therefore there is "no demand" and the circle repeats.

Your job is to determine if the dealer really just wants to get rid of the 5spd or if he thinks he has a gem that he wants top dollar for (itsn't capitalism wonderful!). If it doesn't work out for you on this one (or you want a MUCH better selection to choose from), then call up to Toronto.

-Jon
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    does anyone have any info about the NEW DUETTE transmission system for the new 2002 Pathys?
  • exzaveexzave Member Posts: 16
    I was on nice stretch of road the other day and got stuck behind 3 cars and a boat. Well, oncoming traffic cleared and pulled out to pass well my right foot somehow managed to get stuck, It just stopped responding to my brain (ho-ho). Well 65...70...75..85..90 at this point I think I was past last car towing the boat. Well my foot still wouldn't respond. So I kept going. broke the century mark and smile came over me as vehicle felt stable as ever. 101...103..106...107...and wham right at 110 fuel cuts out. Need to get that right foot looked at....
    Proud '01 Superblack SE 5spd owner 11K worry free miles.

Exzave
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I also have a 5 speed and I love it. I have about 10,000 miles on mine and have had no issues either. My only complaint would be the small gas tank and the stock tires. I removed the step rails from mine and the truck looks much cleaner and my pants stay cleaner as well. It also looks much taller.

Enjoy
  • thewildmanthewildman Member Posts: 13
    tonveranga: If you're getting your info from NissanNews.com, well except for the 17"wheels, the rest (the full text) is a cut and paste from last years (2001)... Not much thing will be change in the 2002 (maybe HID lamps... bigger wheels).

My 2 cents.
    Steve
  • herkyhawki2herkyhawki2 Member Posts: 5
    My understanding is you can get the rebate of $1,500 in addition to the financing (3.9% for 60 months) can anyone confirm this.
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,
    I just came back from my first road trip with my bayshore blue pf. What can i say except this machine is awesome! Tons of passing power and a very smooth controlled ride.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, does anyone know how to open the overhead compass/temp display? I'm trying to access power to wire a radar detector. Also, can anyone tell me exactly where the grease fitting is for the propellor shaft? Got to get a service manual. Thanks...
  • joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    Yesterday, I bought a 8 foot Stereo Mini Plug extension cord and a 3 foot RCA plug to 1/8" Stereo Mini Plug adapter (Radio Shack), connected it to the VCR, ran the cord under the rug along the left rear wheel well, under the rear seat, under the rear mat up to just left of the center console (You can hardly see the wire). Then, I plugged it into my Sony MP3 player, hit the AUX switch on the dash & Walla, CD quality sound through the Bose system! I'm going to buy a Rio Volt CD MP3 player so I can carry 300+ songs at all times on 2 or 3 disks. This will just about make my in dash CD player obsolete!
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I did this for my radar detector installation, but I don't remember exactly what I did. However, you can pop off the cover surrounding the mirror bracket, look for screws behind the sunglasses holder, and also remove the map light lenses to see if there are any screws behind those. Other than that, I think it pops on/off with gentle pressure.

For power, I tapped into one of the wires that powers my sunroof. That way it activates when the car is on. Alternately, you could tap into a wire from the map light.

Here's a tip to tap into wires:
    Cut the insulation on the wire with a razor blade (roll the wire as you put pressure on the blade, be sure not to cut all the way through)
    Pull the wire on both sides of the cut to expose about 1/4" of the wire.
    Use a needle to evenly split the wire strands apart.
    Insert your wire through the hole, and wrap it around the original wire a few times, and insulate it with electrical tape.

If you ever need to restore the wire to 'factory', just remove the electrical tape and your wire, then slide the insulation back into place on the original wire. There will be only a small, nearly invisible 'slice' in the original wire's insulation.
  • dvivinodvivino Member Posts: 8
    How can I tell if my '99 Pathfinder has platinum spark plugs? Or, do all the 99's automatically come with them?
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    I also pulled the overhead console when I installed a radar detector (saved me I can't even count how many times!). Anyway, there's just one screw inside the sunglass holder and the rest of it just pulls off with a nice firm tug. There are 4 of those little retainer type spring clips...one on each corner.

If anyone else wants a jpeg of the schematic (from the Electronic Service manual), just let me know...It shows that area nicely.

Captain Ron. . .
    ron.chase@internetmachines.com
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    An alternative to opening the overhead console is going straight to the fuse box. Basically, I've cut the wire right before the plug-in lighter adapter and wrap the wire around a spare fuse and just stick the fuse into a live extra slot or you can wrap the end of the wire around the fuse to the lighter or whatever. I then run the wire up the side of the window. Sliding the wire under the molding up to the roof is super easy. I then run the wire through the visor and that's it.

I've done this with my last three vehicles and have never had a problem.

Tony
    The 2001 PF has double platinum plugs. If the owners manual does not have the info call a Nissan dealer. Some one in the parts department could tell you the P/N of the plugs that came with the vehicle.
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Oh, yes it is a trill to drive this truck.

I intend on driving it back to it's original place in Ottawa from NYC to visit my brother in two weeks time. This will be my first long summer trip.

I have since switch from 5W30 to 10W30.
    full5
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    YOEDDY,
    is there any way you can send me a schematics or diagram of hooking up radar detector from a fuse box? my email is winston@livenet.net

thanks in advance.
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    Radio Shack sells little metal clips that are made just for tapping into auto fuse boxes. I think they are $.99, be sure to get the ones for Mini fuses. Also, when tapping into a wire, they make some little connectors called scotch locks which will pierce both the current wire and your new wire with no cutting or taping, just slide the wires in, gently squeeze with pliers then snap to cover on. They are very small and work great inside the car. I still prefer soldering given the time.

I've installed many stereo's, alarms, and other gadgets in cars over the years. I started out with electrical tape and a razor and sticking bare wire in fuse boxes and as you learn from your mistakes you find better and more reliable ways of doing things.

I also will soon be wiring in a radar detector, I just finished hooking up trailer lights, about 5 minutes worth of wiring with the Scotch locks.

Good luck
    Hi all,

I too went through a lot of trial and realized error in hooking up gadgets...I would just twist wires together and wrap it all up with electrical tape. After seeing almost all of these connections fail...some with a big puff of ozone-smelling smoke, I started to put a little more pride (and technology) into my install jobs.

When I wired my 86 Suzuki Samurai for sound, I spent 10 hours on that install...Took out the seats, all the carpeting and went to town. Everything was soldered, heat-shrunk, zip tied, etc... The results were well worth the effort. I had that truck 3/4 submerged at times and everything stayed tight and dry.

I now have a boat that I've been told, "Oh, your electrical connections will only last about a year or two in the salt air." Well, I stripped all of the wire out of the boat when I bought it (used) and replaced every foot of it with new. I used Anchor brand wiring and connections...crimps with temperature-active, adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. These are for the most part, occlusive seals. 4 years later, not a single failure!

Bottom line...take the time and often a little extra expense to do things right the first time.

"If you do 10 jobs at 90% quality...each one having only a 10% chance of failing...there's a 100% chance that something is failing all the time!" That extra 10% is worth the effort.

Anyway...sorry for the rambling...I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Captain Ron. . .
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Yes, the '99 models have Platinum plugs ( at least my '99 does). When I took it in for 30K service, the serviceguy said I didn't have to change the plugs because they're platinum. They supposed to be changed at 60K.
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    If I Roll a 10 sided dice ten times, do I have a 100% chance of hitting any one number?

I get your point though.
    I actually did well in statistics (or as some would call it: Sadistics), but that was enough years ago that this is all a bit fuzzy... Illustrative, but fuzzy. I guess I was saying that doing less than quality work is a roll of the dice...even if it's a 10-sided one.

Captain Ron. . .
    Who has a 50% chance at any given time of giving advice that could be applicable no less than 50% of the time given a + or - error factor of 5%.
    Maybe Yoeddy can tell us which fuse he tap the power from. Or he show us all the schematics of it.

Has any one up graded their Audio System as of yet?. And if so, how was the installation and the equipment used?.

Thanks to all.
    full5.
  • kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    Do you have shimmy/wheel vibration problem with your new Pirelli Scorpion AT tires? I changed mine about 2 weeks ago and I still can't get rid of vibration. I have 2000 LE with 42,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer for shimmy problem and they re-balanced it but nothing has been changed. Service manager told me that because of aggressive tread style of Pirelli's AT, it may causing the vibration.

-jc
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    kzc2 said:
    Service manager told me that because of aggressive tread style of Pirelli's AT, it may causing the vibration.

That's a load of BS, an attempt by the service manager to get you off his back.
    When I picked mine up with the new tires, they were perfect...no shimmy at all. Then I parked it back at the office for about 6 hours and drove home...I got a shimmy for the first 5 miles and then it went away. This has been repeated on several occasions. Best I can figure is that I'm flat-spotting the tires in a 100+ degree parking lot and it works itself out after a few miles.

The exact same thing happened to my Prelude...Same tire shop, 4 new tires...shimmy for a few miles then they were fine. This happened for a a while and now it's not a problem (30,000 miles/1 year later on the Prelude - rock solid).

I'm also not noticing it as much on the Pathfinder with the Scorpions now with about 1,500 miles/1 month on the tires.

That's about the best I can tell you. Your case may very well be balancing...it is, afterall, the most likely thing to effect the balance!

What size did you end up getting? How do you like them? Off-road????

Captain Ron. . .
    Hi everybody...

I just finish installing the bug deflector on my Super Black LE. What a change it makes. Wow! Genuine Nissan stuff! The way to go!

Anyway... As my GF is at work and my others buddies on vacation, I just felt the need to come on this forum and to tell my feeling! :)

Steve
    Thewildman:
    What is part number for the Nissan Bug Deflector. and also the price and the Dealer in Canada.
    Thanks.
    full5.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I've got the shimmy Serivce Bulletin in a PDF file. I'd be happy to send it to you. E-mail me at smithmdsmith@yahoo.com. Anyone else that's interested is welcome to e-mail me, as well.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I've heard elsewhere that Pirelli tires tend to flat spot easily when parked for even a few hours. Like Captain Ron said, I also heard that they work that out after a few minutes of driving.
    Hi.

The Bug Deflector was 80$ CDN and the part# is 99998-00100

Not expensive at all for a Genuine Nissan and very well made. I wasn't too sure about those 4 "bumpons" that I had to stick on the hood itself, but they (bumpons) don't show at all and they're are made by 3M (well known company).

Steve.
    Thanks for the information Thewilman.

But the Bumpons that came with your B/D are to protect the body finish paint of the hooded area of your Pathfinder . If you do not stick them to the SPECIFIED AREAS, at high speed, the deflector will flap those areas and the paint will come off.

After installing the B/D, walk around it and press the B/D to the body. Where it touches is where to place the BUMPONS. The most common locations are both ends of the Head Lights and the Middle of the hood.

I have already bought an after market one from MacNeil at htt:// www.macneilauto.com (1-800-441-6287). About the same price as yours in USD. But if there is a big defference in them, i'll get the Nissan B/D.
    full5.
  • apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to purchase a Pathfinder for my sister, I live in Toronto Canada. Can all those that have bought in Canada please provide me with pricing and options, excluding provincial and federal sales tax. I understand they are dealing pretty aggresively for the remaining 01's..Thanks all in advance. email is apolloofolympus@hotmail.com
  • usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    Just got home from family vacation to Florida from NC, pathfinder ran like a champ...19 MPG on hwy with Sears car top carrier and AC running. Wind noise was noticable but not to bad. Now for the HELP part,while washing the pathy in Florida I found a major rock chip(even after I bought a bug deflector for the trip)on top of hood about the size of 2 or 3 pin heads. THEN as I was emptying the car top carrier and one of my suit cases hit the top of the door and you guessed it another deep scratch about 1/2 inch long,boy was I mad at myself for that one. Does anyone know the best way to fix these without taking it to the dealer, I do not want the whole hood repainted. I told my wife I was so mad about the Pathfinder and she said at least we made it there and back safely...how true, but I want this awsome vehicle to look it's best for a long time. PLEASE someone help with some touch-up advice. Todd
  • longdaylongday Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    Tomorrow AM I will be picking up my new "Bronzed Gray" 2001 4WD LE with Leather/Nav/Ent/Limited Slip. I am proud to be joining all you owners, I have already been given help by Captain Ron and Adam and look forward to driving this great vehicle. If anyone can, I would appreciate help with these two questions that I have not seen answers to:
    First- The large gap behind the rear seats and before the security cover is nuts. Anyone can peer in and see the things I am trying to hide from prying eyes. A quick fix that comes to mind is using a similar color carpet remnant "flap" and duct taping it (underneath so as not to show) to the backs of the rear seats. Someone, somewhere must have found a better way to close the gap. (I can't recline the seats due to child seats in the rear)
    Lastly- I ordered the rear cargo organizer and since my VCP (for the ent) sits on the rear floor I am faced with two options. One is cutting out an opening for the VCP with a razor, (which is crazy) the other is detaching the VCP and have it bounce around the back on top of the organizer (more crazy).
    Thanks for all your great advice, I look forward to your advice on this.
    -Steve
  • gmcintoshgmcintosh Member Posts: 3
    Just got back from Vancouver B.C. with my new Bronzed Grey LE 4x4, and I love it. I'd like everyone to know how right Jon Lofquist is. It is very easy, and the money saved is worth it. All I did was call up Richmond Nissan ask for Bob Fielkowich, tell him the Jon referred me to him. Bob gave me price over the phone I aceppted. No haggle very relaxed, and man what great service. I paid 26,295 plus a 2.5% tax at US customs and 100.00 air conditioning fee. My pathfinder had 8.6 kilo. at pickup. Plus I love the power anntenna, especally since I listen more to CD's than the radio (The antenna stays down). Maybe its the canadian model, but I'm already averaging 20.5 mpg, on 4 fill ups. Does anybody have a good web site for car covers. This is a great site
    Quiet Man
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    hi, I am a long time reader but a first time poster. I have a 2001 LE with part time 4X4. I had 2,3000 problem-free miles, but after the 3rd routine tire rotation I started to have steering wheel shimmy at around 65 mph. According to the nissan service bulletin that the service manager gave to me, it is basically a 3 step process to correct the problem. So far, the first two steps have been taken. 1. simple balance of the wheels. 2. increasing steering wheel sliding force. But the problem still persists. According to the Nissan Service Bulletin, the last step is to use the hunter GSP9700 balancing machine to do 2-plan balancing and replace any defective tire if necessary. Smithmd, was step 3 the one that solved your problem? any one interested can take a look at www.hunter.com
    After reviewing the URL you have posted above, it seems that the 2 are quite similar in the way they install, using 3M adhesive and clips that use the holes that usually hold the weather seal rubber under the hood. Can't say much about the form (design) itself or the material (plastic) used as it is not shown ot the website

As for the bumpons, I did install them as shown on the inst. guide (2 on each side - 1 at the far end edge of the hood, the other at the limit of the point where the hood step higher) as for the middle, the B/D comes quite close to the hood (if pressure is applied) without touching it.

Steve
    Is there a way to verify that my LE Auto4WD has the LSD and not the OpenDiff at the rear. I saw a post saying the if it is a LSD it should have a sticking mentionning it (for oil type purpose). Mine doesn't have that sticker (it is true that I didn't crawl all the way under the truck but ...)

I do not trust the sales resp at the dealer because they don't seem to know much about the Path. ie. They told me that the Path had metal sheet underneath for off-roading.. well we all know that ain't true... See what I mean...

I'm curious cause last winter I got stuck in snow and notice that the rear wheels weren't turning at the sametime, or is it just the LSD having some limitation???

Steve
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    My 2001 PF LE 4x4 also had a slight shimmy problem at 60 to 65 mph. I took it to the local tire shop and they found both front tires out of balance a half ounce. The rear tires were perfectly balanced. They do have the Hunter GSP machine everyone has mentioned. The shimmy is not noticeable now.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    If you look at Nissan's Canadian web site and the Nissan Canada Pathfinder brochure, you will find that LSD is standard on all Canadian PF's ...
  • jhpw517jhpw517 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a PF. The brochure of PF I got from the dealer says that it is manual to switch between 2wd(rear wheel drive) to 4wd and must be done below 50 mph. Does anyone know if the 4wd can be engaged at all time? Or, if PF has an option of an all-time 4wd like the Toyota Highlander or Mazda Tribute? Thanks.
  • poppadoc1poppadoc1 Member Posts: 11
    POTENTIAL SUV OWNER TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE PF & 4RUNNER. LEANING TOWARD THE PF MAINLY DUE TO THE CANADIAN CONNECTION. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF TOYOTA OR ANY OTHER SUVS ARE AVAILABLE IN CANADA FOR US CITIZENS?
    Thewildman:
    My B/D also came with two small screws to be install under neath the hood. The 3M adhesive that came with it did not hold well, so I had to use them. There should also be at least(1.3cm) room between the hood and the B/D for periodic cleaning.
    Full5.
    Their should be a red sticker on the rear of the differential housing "LSD" about 1 inch in diameter. The other way is lifting up the rear end of the vehicle and rotate the rear wheels ie:rotate the right wheel CW the other should turn the same direction and very hard to turn. If the other wheel turns the opposite (CCW) your PF does not
    have a LSD.

AWD: The AWD (with a knob and not shift lever) can be turned on at any speed. With AWD you are turning on a pump in the transfer case and the only time the front axle drives is when the rear speed sensors detects wheel slipage---On ice,snow,ect.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Hi All,

I don't have schematics or diagrams but it's really easy to do. Also, other's have made comments on how to better tap the power cord into the fuse box. They're probably easier and better ways to do it but until it fails, I'm going to leave things as is. Okay, here is what I did:

1. Cut-off lighter adapter from power cord (my radar detector had a coiled and straight one, I cut the straight one)
    2. Strip 1 inch of the cord covering to expose wires
    3. Remove cover to the compartment box to the left of the steering wheel. Behind it is the fuse box.
    4. Pull fuse #15 (Lighter, that's the one I used)
    5. Wrapped exposed wire of powercord around prongs of fuse
    6. Push fuse back into place
    7. Run powercord down and out from the bottom of the fuse box (not throw the compartment door)
    8. Run powercord up and around the side plastic moulding to the left of the fuse box
    9. Slide powercord behind the black gasket that runs all the way to the roof (pull open with fingers and push powercord behind
    10. From the roof, run powercord through visor clips to the other side of visor
    11. Connect to radar detector
    12. Hide any extra powercord behind plastic moulding next to fusebox

Any questions, let me know.
    Tony
    Greg,
    Good to hear from you again. Glad the Canadian purchase went well for you. It's hard to pass up a few thousand dollars of savings. I think you are about number 50 that I've heard back from on going to Canada. I'm happy I could help out.
    -Jon
    Nissan is about the only manufacturer left that allows their Canadian dealers to sell to the US. I know for certain that Toyota will not, and no one I know has been successful getting a 4Runner. If you decide to go for the Canadian trip to get a Path, drop me a line - I still have lots of info that will help.
    -Jon