Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• bdritterbdritter Member Posts: 9
    I am currently in the market for a new SUV ... trying to decide between 2001 Pathfinder LE and 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Have any readers been faced with a similar decision? The purchase prices will be close to equal...but I don't know what to expect with regards to maintenance on the Pathfinder, fun extras, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    DON'T get the EXPLORER. I have owned 3: 1996, 1997, 1998. They were all crap. Poor quality, cheap interior parts and MAJOR mechanical problems. We kept going back hoping to do our duty as Americans, but were screwed each time. Finally got the 01 PF in april of 2000 and have had 16k blissful miles. What a specimen of quality, tight build & value for the dollar. You will get features on the PF the EB explorer doesn't have (unless they were added) ie: auto up and down windows driver and passenger, auto open and close sunroof etc. this really is a great feature. So while I can't say that ford hasn't cleaned up their act with the 02 Explorers my history with them suggest it is not likely.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Yes, it was the Hunter machine that fixed my problem.
  • kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the information everyone. I took it back to the place where I bought tires, and ask them to do roadforce balancing (HUNTER 9700). The result is great; it took out the most vibration problem. Still there is slight vibration at first drive but I'm very happy with what I have now.

Captainron, you are right with flat spot. Driving for few miles will solve that problem. I purchased 255/70R/16 same size as you have.

Smithmd, thanks for the e-mail offer, I will e-mail you soon.

-jc
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    Just received surprise notice from the Dept of Motor Vehicles, that a CA Highway Patrol inspection of all 1996 or newer vehicles which were last registered outside the US is required for my newly purchased '01 Pathfinder. The letter sez they can't process my registration until they have this. Anyone have experience with this one?
  • erhein2erhein2 Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone tell me how to program, or where to find out how to program additional keyless entry remotes for my 2001 PF? I know the dealer can do this for a fee, but if it's not too complicated, I'd just as soon do it myself. Thanks.
    pondfull5: I also installed the Macneil B/D using the screws which came with it. I haven't used any of the rubber bump-ons. Can you describe, again, where you placed them? Thanks.
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    Did you attach one of the wires from the cord to a ground somewhere? Your post states that you wrapped the wire around the fuse blade, but if you wrapped 1 wire around each blade you wouldn't have a complete ciruit.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Here's how to program additional remotes. Very easy. But only the dealer can program new keys I understand.

1) Get in car and close all doors.
    2) Insert and remove key from ignition more than 6 times within 10 seconds (hazard lights will flash twice).
    3) Insert key again and turn to ACC position.
    4) Push any button on new remote once (hazard lights will flash twice). At this time the oldest code is erased and the new code is entered.
    5) To program additional remotes (maximum of four), lock the driver's side door (unlock first if it's locked) with the LH door switch, and then go to step 4.,
    6) Open driver's side door.

-Jon
  • tivmiketivmike Member Posts: 7
    yride -
    we have the same thing down here in Texas. I bought my Pathy in Canada 3 weeks ago and drove it down to Texas (I'll post a longer bit about that when I get a chance).. but I went to the tax assessor's office to pay TX slaes tax on it and get it registered and they said I needed to have it inspected by a law enforcement agency. This was VERY simple. It consisted of going to the downtown police department, asking to speak to someone in the auto theft division. They came out, checked the VIN on the vehicle and compared it to my export form that I got stamped at customs. They filled out a form, gave me that and I went back to the tax assessor's and everything was done. It took maybe 5 minutes.

-Mike-
  • bdritterbdritter Member Posts: 9
    I re-posting the same question as my email was incorrectly listed in my profile before...I'm still looking for honest feedback...thanks!
    lofquist: Thanks very much. It sounds pretty easy.
    BTW, do I have to go through the same steps with the remotes that came with the vehicle, or does the vehicle retain those codes? Thanks again.
    The system can hold the ID' s for four remotes at a time. You can add one or two more and it will retain the two from the factory. If you then add a fifth, it will erase the first one programmed.
    -Jon
    Got it. Thanks, Ed
  • pathy_se01pathy_se01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SE Auto Pathfinder and i'm coming up on the 7500 mile checkup. At 3750, i changed the oil and oil filter, and that was it. I was wondering if i should bring the Pathy to the dealership for the checkup, or am i wasting my time? Is the dealership going to do anything more in terms of just an oil change? In the manual, it states to change the oil and nothing else. Please advise.
    Thanks!
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    Welcome all new owners, LUV MY SUV, it's been a while since I reported, I still only have one regret, I didn't buy it sooner. Oil Changes, Gas, and Tire Rotations is only thing done to this GREAT SUV other than drive and tow my boat.

There may be some more expensive but none finer, enjoy your Pathfinder.
    01LE Bronzed Gray.
  • lesg2lesg2 Member Posts: 9
    I understand your delima regarding searching for the best SUV. I just purchased a Pathfinder after researching umpteen articles on Internet sites which let people voice their opinions regarding vehicles they have owned. I think that is a great opportunity to get honest feedback. Here is a good site:

http://www.carreview.com/reviews/suv/product_78.shtml

of course there are others including Edmunds :). I researched and test drove several domestics and after reading enough horror stories decided to stick with the imports and get the Pathfinder. I needed something with towing power and the Pathfinder certainly has it and a solid reputation to boot.

Good Luck with your search...

Les

• shaka62shaka62 Member Posts: 9
    Okay, my outside temp display is pretty much useless since it's always off by 6 or 7 degrees. Tell me there is a way to calibrate it.

Also, I'm so jealous of the guys on this site that are getting 17 - 20 mpg. I've got almost 5K miles on my truck and the best mileage I've ever gotten is 13.9 mpg.
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    In Washington, they're very inconsistent with the rqmts for vehicle inspection. Dept of Motor vehicle in Seattle declared that it was required. Found this out before I went to Richmond BC. I tried to return to Bellingham Wa early enough to get my inspection. They were closed, but there was a sign on their door the inspections were no longer required with out of state nor out of country vehicles. I ended up registering with a 3rd party licensing agency. They did not require the inspection either. I also visited 2 3rd party licensing agencies. The second agency was less stringent. Moral to the fable is if you dont like the service try another office. Good Luck Yride.
    Good info on the keyless entry.

What I want to know is how to program the garage door opener using the remote on the visor. I've followed the directions in the manual (for roaming codes) to no avale. I have the GEnie screw drive openers that use roaming security codes. What have you guys & gals learned?
    glad,

I might be able to help here too. I got a new Genie screw-drive opener a few months ago. It has the rolling codes of course. I had no trouble programming it, but you do have to get up on a ladder to get to the 'learn' button. It really does take two people unless you can get in and out of the Path and scamper up and down a ladder pretty fast (like in 30 sec).

Anyway, I'd suggest checking out the Homelink web page for programming help at http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.html. They have lots of good information there. Let me know if you need more help and I'll dig out my stuff.

-Jon
    (actually I have a new car coming this week (NOT to replace the Path), so I'll have to do the Homelink programming with it too)

• yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Without, pulling the fuse out. I believe I just wound the two wires around the two prongs kind of like an S through the prongs. And no I did not ground either of the wires. It won't take very long for you to be able to figure it out.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    There is no way to calibrate it. Nissan has a new sensor mounted on a bracket and the sensor is relocated to the 6mm stud about 8 inches toward the drivers side from the pillar that the sensors are currently mounted on. They work very well relocated.
    Thanks Jon,

I thought I'd be fast enough. Anyway, I'll have the wife help out.

Brad
  • jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    My QX4 came with a card detailing the procedure; presumably it should be the same for the Pathy. Homelink now works fine. Basically, you have to program Homelink with your old remote, then program the opener with Homelink.

1) Test Homelink by pressing any button (red light should come on)
    2) Clear Homelink by pressing & holding both outside buttons until red light blinks rapidly
    3) Press and hold Homelink button you want to program, then hold your remote close to Homelink and press/hold that button until red light blinks slowly. Continue holding both buttons until red light blinks rapidly.
    4) Press the Homelink button you just programmed (red light should blink rapidly, then stay on)
    5) Press the "Program" button on your opener
    6) Homelink should now operate your opener

I just parked the vehicle in front of my garage so I could get to the opener quickly after step 4, and had the stepladder ready. Apparently that was enough time. Good luck! For some reason I could never get the thing programmed with my Jeep, so I'm glad it works now!
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Erhein2:
    On both ends of the B/D. Just press the end against the body by the head light, where it touches is where you place the BUMP-ON. Also on the hood, press it lightly against the hood, and where it touches is where you place the BUMP-ONS.

Also look at the instruction "step 4" and "diagram 3".

Full5.
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    Shortly after you posted the new p/n (27710-31U00)for the outside temp sensor, I asked my service and parts dept about it and they said that it didn't appear to be a new p/n. Does this 'new' part include 'new' mounting directions, or was the new location something you experimented with? What can I refer the service dept to? They are more than willing to help me fix the problem, their just not aware of any fix.
  • npathfindernpathfinder Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 LE with NAV and I was told that I would get an update CD in late June early July for my area. Has anybody gotten the new CD yet? Please let me know.....
    Thanks for the tips. Havent been able to retry yet as I'm working many hours on a project at work. Will provide feedback when I can take the time to try again. Thanks
    The new number 27710-31U00 is a replacement for the old P/N
    27722-31U00. The new number is the same sensor but it is mounted
    on a bracket. Nissan doesn't have memo yet on where it should be mounted so I mounted on the 6mm stud on my own.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    As I posted previously, I took delivery of my 2001 PF SE AWD this past March. The dealer installed the bug deflector on this fine truck. When I was washing the truck 2-3 weeks later, I noticed the hood had become scuffed under the deflector. I took it back to the dealer who immediately stated he had never seen such a problem. They tried to buff out the scuff marks to no avail. They offered to re-paint the hood but I never took them up on it and swore to myself I couldn't even trust them to do a simple oil drain.

I believe the idiots positioned the rubber nipples in the wrong spots; they promptly added 2 more nipples for a total of 4. No more problems since...I haven't been back to that dealer since.

Switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil on the 2nd oil change. Everything is smooth as silk. Just clocked 3000 km (1800 miles) driving from Toronto to New Jersey to Virginia and back.
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    Does my silver '01 SE from Canada have a clear-coat?

Also anyone tried the Z-18, clay bar?
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Wanna see a cool truck..?

The X Trail for Europe.(they can't get the X Terra over there)

http://forums.vmag.com/suvxterra0899/messages/1033.html

I like the X Terra better- but this thing would sell here, big time...

• joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    Wow, the X-Trail is a cool truck! I'd take it over the X-Terra in a heartbeat. In fact, depending on how it stacks up, I might have passed over my 01 Pathfinder for one. My first impression was that it looks like a Japanese Land Rover... For the heck of it, I'd love to see the specs. Are they available anywhere? I bet this number would cut into Jeep Liberty sales if it were available in the U.S.
  • thewildmanthewildman Member Posts: 13
    I did the installation of my B/D last week, it came with 4 bump-ons (it's genuine nissan b/d) but the install guide showed the wrong place to install the bumpons, conclusion I now have 6 bumpons! Otherwise the B/D would touch the center of hood while cruising at speed of 140km/h (87.5 Miles/h). (I often drive at =>160km/h-100miles/h, this truck is simply asking me to go faster and faster, to bad the cut-off comes to quickly at 170km/h-107miles/h). ;)

Question: Do you take off the B/D when washing the Path? With that gap of 3/8"-1/2" it's seems almost impossible to wash underneath the B/D.

Steve
  • pogitopogito Member Posts: 10
    our '01 pathy se had problems with the 6 cd changer. the cd's would not eject nor play. dunno if it was by my wife's mistake or the system is really defective. as my wife related, she inadvertently push two cd buttons simultaneously while the computer reads "wait". could this cause the problem? anyway nissan replaced the cd changer under warranty but my son's 6 cd's are all inside the player. nissan promised to send us back the 6 cd's. we are still waiting.
    has anybody experience similar problem with their cd changer??
  • msraokvtmsraokvt Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a Nissan Pathfinder'01 LE 2WD. I drove at the speed of 105 mph. As soon as it reached 105mph, the fuel is cutting off and the speed came down below 105. I just wanted to know whether is there any speed limit and anybody else has experienced this kind of problem.

Thanks
    Madhu.

email: msraokvt@hotmail.com
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Thewildman:
    No, you do not take the B/D off when washing it. Not even through the car wash. The B/D is now a permanent part of your Pf. Unless of cause you want to remove it for good.

At the speed you go,if you don't properly install the BUMP-ONS the flapping plastic at the high speed will eat away the pain finish. The next thing to it will be the bare metal of of your PF.

Got to sleep now, by 3.00 AM I'll be on my way to Ottawa from NYC for the week end.
    Full5.
  • shaka62shaka62 Member Posts: 9
    I'll try the new temp sensor mounted on 6mm stud. Of course I called the service department at several local Nissan dealerships here in Hawaii and everyone of them said they never heard of a problem with inaccurate outside temp gauges. Apparently they all live in caves because I've never heard of an accurate one. Every Pathfinder owner I know has an inaccurate temp gauge.
  • pat5000pat5000 Member Posts: 13
    No this is not a problem. This is the engine management computer shutting off the fuel. If you'll look at the tires they are only rated at a certain speed, I think it's 112 mph. So to cover their (Nissan) butts they add the speed limiter. Of course I don't know if this is fact but it sounds reasonable??
    Hi!

I think the reason why our Pathfinders are limited speedwise is cuz of US federal/national law that dictate the max speed for trucks - this is to make our road safer.. yah right!!! :) As for the tire, the usually match the tire to the max speed of the vehicule.

Up here in Canada, we do not have the speed limiter law (aren't we all suppose to respect the Speed Limit on our road), but most manufacturer when building vehicules for the north america, they usually take the most restrictive law from both country (USA & Canada. This way they are sure to meet all the laws. So you guys have 5-10 miles damage free bumper cuz it's a law here in Canada (i think that law was also adopt in USA not long ago), and we have LEV (ULEV) cuz it's a law in USA. This is the same reason why alot of europeen vehicules won't make it to North America...' Bummer! As fact - It took over a year to Audi to "re-design" the front bumper of the well-famous TT to meet our law. Conclusion they added a little pad 4" by 5' over the existing euro model's bumper. I feel much more safer now, don't you?! ;)

pondfull5: Thanks for the info about the B/D.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    About 4-5 months ago, I too had a problem with my 6 disc changer. (Err 2 code)..Nissan replaced it with a new one. I was supposed to get back the 4 cd's that were stuck in the player when they replaced it, but...so far I have not. They told me originally that they "couldn't guarantee me getting them back" from Nissan.

They even showed me where they wrote on the return papers "Customer requests CD's inside returned ASAP to dealer or residence".

I was in the same dealership yesterday for an oil change and a transmission check-up...and I asked....they said they hadn't ever seen any CD's returned back from Nissan. So, I wouldn't count on getting them back...but hopefully you will.

Transmission: I also noticed my auto-tranny pausing or flaring while shifting between 1st-to-2nd gear. There is a Service Bulletin on this complaint also. They checked it out and said they needed to order a part:

Part # 31036-4W001

Anyone happen to know what part this is on the transmission? I guess I could have and should have asked...but I was running late when I stopped by to pick it up yesterday. I'll have to call them Monday and ask unless somebody is in the know here.

One thing I noticed last night while giving my LE a good cleanup inside and out is that the black screws that are used on things like the sunroof wind deflector and my add-on rear window deflector are fading from the sun...they are now almost silver. I'll need to replace those also....should be an easy fix (Home depot/Wal Mart).

Still love my 01' LE

Have a good weekend!
    Mike
  • nwwoodsnwwoods Member Posts: 21
    Thought I would share what we observed on our Canadian 01 SE 5-sp's first big trip -- to Sun Valley. Idaho is BIG country so there was plenty of open road and long distances to try different things.

Fuel: below 60mph you can do great. Above 60mph it drops, but interestingly, going 80+ got the same mileage for us as going 70. So it seems if you're going to fly, you might as well fly as fast as you can. We didn't go fast enough to make it shut down like some of you folks :-) But we "only" got 19-20 mpg at those speeds.

Going slower really paid huge dividends -- we peaked out at 23.3 mpg on a tank where spent a lot of time going 50-55 (in 5th gear). That was great!

Seats: we could not believe how comfortable the Pathy is. We put in a couple of 10 hour driving days and only afterwards realized we'd not needed any stops to stretch or walk. It was remarkable that it was so comfortable and compliant, and a pleasant surprise to see mention of same in the new Consumer Reports when we returned.

8500km and loving it, this is one incredible vehicle.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Glad you had fun in your Pathy - I just took some company on the loop from Boise to Stanley and back via $un Valley. Hope you enjoyed Idaho's $1.59 gas prices (tongue firmly in cheek - I got some US$1.19 gas in N. Georgia while there earlier in the week).

Maybe you should visit this discussion :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    What is the service bulletin for? Ours has slipped since new. When the dealer said it was "normal" and Nissan builds them that way I knew it was crap!

Dano
    danog: Is the trans slipping or is it lagging between shifts?? Nissan has several service bulletins on this issue. Nissan does not build transmissions JATCO builds transmissions and they build about the best in the world. Look up the bulletins at NHTSA and check back with the dealer. If the trans slips the fluid will be dark and smell burnt. Could have the fluid analyzed and if it has high iron content it is slipping. This is a very serious issue because of the new engine and trans combination and Nissan will have to address the problem. (pile of junk..I hope not??)
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Mariko,

A few months back, in order to move some overstocked Pathfinders, along with rebates and special finance deals, dealers were installing Nitrous Oxide Injection Systems (NOS) in the LE version of the Pathfinder. Nitrous Oxide is essentially liquid air and will momentarily increase the engine output by 30-40%. The in-cabin microfilter was replaced with a small NOS tank and activated by the recirculation button on the dash. This would explain the sudden acceleration you experienced. There was a service bulletin on this as well as an additional sun-visor sticker explaining the use of NOS. Sounds like you got one of these special versions.

Captain "this can't be true!" Ron. . . : )
    Hi!

I had this "flaring" occurring twice on my pathfinder. Each time it was under strong acceleration from a stand point (0--> x km/h). The "flaring" occurred at the moment I "eased-off" on the acceleration (let's say at the approach of a stop sign or something like that). I had the same thing happening on my Mustangs (my first was with a stick the second an auto). And that was by design... Under hard acceleration the transmission will shift at a higher RPM (I saw the transmission doing smooth shift even near the 6K on my Path) and this is a great thing by the way! This is done by the computer which is retarding the up-shift as you would do with a manual stick. If for any reason you ease-off on the accelerator (instead of accelerating you're keeping the speed steady or even slightly decelerating) the computer that was holding the transmission in 1st gears is kinda fooled, and needs a second or two - to realize that it should up-shift into 2nd gear.

My 2 cents...

Steve
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Mariko,

In reality, I have no clue as to what caused the sudden acceleration you experienced... The whole NOS idea was a little tongue in cheek... Your description just made me think of the "clutch blower" system straight out of Road Warrior...Where Mel Gibson gets neck-snapping acceleration by flipping a switch...engaging a clutch-activated supercharger. Before rumors get started and service managers are called, I know of no such devices installed on the Pathfinder...

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Captain Ron. . .