Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Phil:

Thanks for the information. What type of wax do you use on the alloy rims? Do you wax the entire outside surface of the rim? I have a Nissan nose mask to protect against gravel on the highway, and had 3M film installed on the headlights and turnsignals, as I was unaware of the availability of headlamp covers.

Smithmd:

The 2001 Canadian XE and SE have the same rims and tire size, while the LE model comes with a different rim design and tire size.

Thanks to both of you
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    SMOKEY 75
    i went to fosmo.com and when i click bulb application guides for my 2001 LE it didn't give me any results "not available at this time" Also, which specific bulb did you get the H3, H4 or the HB3, HB4? thanks again.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I live in Edmonton, where the snow doesn't melt in Chinooks ;-) . But we do have salt!!! I just wash the vehicle at least once a month over the winter. I Zaino'd the wheels last summer. No visible corrosion yet (2001 LE - which I choose over the SE because I thought the wheels would be easier to keep clean- and they are easy to clean).
    Don't rely on the GPS comparison at only one speed. At least with mine, the error changes over the range of the speedometer.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    I had mine replaced after I was noticing a hard shift between 1st and 2nd gear on my 2001 LE. Dealer here in Gulfport, MS didn't give me any problems after I showed him the Nissan Service Bulletin about it. If you look back in the previous 100 posts or so it should be listed I think.

They told me at the service department that it was a good catch by me finding out about it on the internet, as it was the first time they had seen/heard of this bulleting for this problem.

No more hard shifts for me now...everything is fine and dandy. I'm about to add another 3k miles on mine (in about 3 weeks) as we drive from MS to WA (Tacoma) on a job relocation.

That will put me at about 15k in just over 10 months of ownership....and all 10 have been wonderful!
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Just got back from getting my 2000 LE "appraised" at Carmax. Their website says to check the kbb.com site for an estimate. Well....their appraisal came back at $600 less than a PF rated in "fair" condition even though they stated mine was in "excellent" condition (which it is - literally not even a ding - 24600 miles). And it was less than Edmunds "estimate" for dealer trade in for "average"! I also checked their inventory and they do NOT have any other 2000 LE's for sale in this area, so they're not swamped with them - maybe they're just not wanted.....I hope I do better at the dealer for a trade in - I'm bummed out now :( I didn't think I'd take this big a hit after 2 years :((
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    For more information about tires, check out the Tires, tires, tires discussion topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • preuningpreuning Member Posts: 6
    Well, not really that long, but the PF rode well over five hours from ATL to Charleston and back. Was hoping for better than barely 20 mpg hiway driving, but didn't buy it for economy. Still kinda gag when I have to put premium in it

Drivers seat was fairly comfortable and it was very easy to find yourself at 85 mph without knowing it - very quiet for SUV
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey TONVERANGA... the bulb application guide is screwed up. But you can look at the bulbs by going into the Philips section on the main page. The headlights use H4 & the foglights use H3
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Hi Phil, I have 99.5 PF, and I was wondering will 2.5" inlet universal exhaust fit my PF? I was thinking about getting Borla Boomer Series exhaust called "ROCK IT". Also PF muffler is located in the middle of the car, so is it better to change the actual muffler + pipes that connects muffler to the exhaust + new exhaust? or is it okay to just get the exhaust itself? Thanks for your help.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I went to the Borla site and took a look at the product you're talking about...that'll look better than stock!

The 99.5 has a dual in, single out muffler followed by a resonator and then the exhaust tip. Everything is under 2". If you're looking for performance, I would recommend a catback system which replace everything. If you want a unique look, you can probably get away with that Borla system from the muffler back.

As a muffler already comes with the Borla system, you should make sure it isn't very restrictive (I'm guessing it isn't) and acts essentially like the resonator in the stock system. This will also help keep the noise down. I would also check the dimensions to ensure it fits in the space available, that you can use the existing hanger points, and that you can exit straight out the back rather than out the side like the stock system. You will have to swedge up from the outlet of the muffler to the 2 1/4" inlet of the new system, but this isn't a big deal for a muffler shop. I would think very carefully before removing the existing muffler and just going with the highflow one attached to the Borla system. If you do it, be prepared for a very noisy truck!

Good luck!
    Woody: I use Mother's Cleaner/Wax on everything, but really any quality wax would work fine for the wheels.

Mike: Thanks for the reply. Upshifting is not a problem for me...yet. I'll bring the downshift problem to my dealer's attention and see what they say.
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for your advice on the exhaust. So basically replace the whole cat-back to gain performance or for the looks go with the Borla's exhaust. Does every SUV have muffler that is not directly connect to exhaust tip? Isn't Borla's Boomer series only replace the resonator on our PF?
    I'm not an expert on them, but I've been told that many/most V6 engines include a resonator between the muffler and the exhaust tip to reduce the noise/resonation commonly associated with V6 engines. You won't see them on as many 4 cylinder, straight 6 or V8 engines.

When I had the Stillen catback exhaust system installed on my 99.5, it used a high-flow muffler (in the existing mufflers position) and NO resonator. It sounded great but was loud and could really drone at certain rpms. That's why I would recommend keeping the existing muffler and using the Borla high-flow muffler as a resonator. I suspect the Borla muffler is a "straight through" design with very little back pressure. It is essentially a resonator.
  • rayg3rayg3 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 1999.5 pathfinder le 4x2 with 34000 miles on it. I notice that when I come to a stop and take my foot off the breaks, there is a klunking noise in the rear-end. I was told by Drivers Mart where I bought it that there is slack in the driveshaft and a lot of these pathys do that. Has any one else experienced this problem?
  • colinj1colinj1 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know how to install fog lights (driving lights) into a base model (2001 XE) pathfinder, I removed the covers where the lights should be, the wiring is there, but I'm sure where the other end is (somewhere in the dash?)

Also...anywone know where to purchase fender flares for the base model (2001 XE). Do you have to drill?

thanks for all your help...
    Colin in BC Canada
  • sabre66sabre66 Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone noticed that on the QX4's they have two sets of auxillary lights, one driving set and one fog set where we have only one. They are one on top of the other. Well i'd like to add a second set of yellow fogs to my Path next to the existing fog lights (where the black plastic piece is). Now i'm not a mechanical or electrical genius so bare with my questions below.

Does anyone know where to get a set that will fit in that space or match the ones we have (they will need to be flipped 180 degrees to fit)?

Also how do you get that black plastic piece out without damaging the existing fog light?

Will the wiring for the existing set be able to be spliced into in order to run the new set?

If not, how would you go about running the wiring into the cab? Best route? Those of us without the Entertainment package have the perfect spot for the switch. Right next to the heated seat buttons.

Anyway just and idea i had that someone can hopefully help me out with.

Thanks,
    S-66
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Colin,
    How much like factory do you want this fog light install to be? With factory switch on the stalk? Or just another switch under the dash somewhere? Actually it doesn't matter to get started….

Find the fog light relay (or lack thereof). It's in the relay box in the engine compartment. Second relay from the front on the left row (I can't confirm this right now - don't have the Path here). There should be a diagram on the cover.

You should see 12V at all times on the green wire at the relay (comes from fuse #53 - 15A). With the ignition on and headlight switch on to low beams, you should also see 12V at the red w/black stripe wire on the relay. If so, then grounding the red w/blue stripe wire will close the relay contacts and you will see 12V at the green w/white stripe wire on the relay. This wire in turn goes the fog lights. The fog light switch on the stalk is normally connected between that red/blue wire and ground.

See if this gets works for you. This is the wiring for a 2001 NON-automatic light system vehicle which the XE is (either US or Canadian).

-Jon
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I've wanted to do this too. That blank panel looks so, well... "blank"! You find a set of lights that looks good there and I'll help with figuring out the wiring. My problem is that "hack job" lights look worse than "blank". I have yet to find a light that fits well.
    -Jon
    Colin:

Nissan makes a fog lamp kit (part # 9999F1-XK000). If you have auto headlamps like my XE has, you need to buy an additional switch (part #25540-2Y970). I got this information from Nissan Canada. I have been thinking about the black plastic panel where the fog lights mount on the SE and LE models, and believe that after market lamps may not look all that great. Rather than buy the lamp switch above, you may be able to wire one in, as per Jon's information.

Let me know what you decide to do.

Woody in frosty BC
    Frosty? Which part of BC? :-)

Drew
    Host
  • colinj1colinj1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the information guys, I'll take a look around for those lamps ($?). Anyways I hope you all have a great weekend.

Again, thanks.

Colin in Vancouver, Canada
    I found a matching set of fog lights on the Nissan Autoparts website for $217.00. I think if they may fit (reversed) in the space where the black panel is. I haven't done any measuring yet so i'm not certain it's symmetrical.

After looking closer at the cost and potential for error in damaging the existing set-up, i'm not sure if i want to try it or not.

If i do i'll let you all know how it turns out.

S-66
    Looks like we have a huge bunch of Canucks in this topic, myself included. :-)

Drew in Vancouver
    Host
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Well, since my PF isn't worth very much used :( I've decided I'll need to keep it. But I need new tires. I live on a mountain where most of the roads are gravel and I live at the bottom of a really steep hill. However, I also spend time on the interstate. So...I need something that will stand up to the abuse of driving on the gravel, some ice/snow during the winter, but also give a bit of a smooth ride on the highway. Right now I have the stock Toyo's, but they are getting worn down and I don't want to deal with them through the winter. Any suggestions? Thanks :)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I have been very pleased with the Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts I fitted to my 1993 Pathy.
    Lets see...

Get snow? Check.
    Get rain? Check.
    Live near mountains? Check.
    Enjoy outdoors? Check.
    NEED a 4x4 sometimes? Check.
    Love the PF? Check.

I guess it's no wonder us Canucks are all over this board, especially those of us who live in BC and Alberta. Always good to hear from Canadian crowd, yourself included.
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    I have test driven the 2001 LE and love the ride, handling, and comfort levels. It rides like a car and has great acceleration. Currently, I drive a 2000 Maxima GLE and feel that the drop off in acceleration isn't that great between the two vehicles. I can get a fully loaded 2001 LE with everything except NAV, ENT, and tow hitch for $30,198, which seems like a good deal. Plus 3.9% financing. I am struggling a lot with my decison after reading the IIHS 40 mile per hour offset crash results and it's 5 mile per hour front & rear bumper tests. In both of these tests the Pathfinder performed very poorly. The bumper test resulted in over $9,000 worth of damage, while the Acura MDX only incurred $1,300 of bumper damages. The Acura MDX received the highest ranking of "Good" for the offset crash test, while the Pathfinder was "Marginal", which is just above "Poor". The decision would appear to be a clear winner for the MDX, however a 2001 Pathfinder is $5 grand less than the MDX. Also, the Pathfinder performed well in the NTSB's head on collision crash test. Does anyone have any real life experience as to the crash worthiness of the Pathfinder? Is the Pathfinder a safe vehicle or not? I certainly wouldn't want to put my family in a death trap, which is what the IIHS results seem to indicate. Any additional comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • windfalls99windfalls99 Member Posts: 20
    Skips2, buy the pathfinder. You will not be sorry.
    I have owned mine (2001 LE) since May and I enjoy it more and more everyday. It now has 12,000 Km and is really starting to smooth out. In my opinion, you can not buy a better midsize SUV.
    Drew et al:

Being about 540 km in the interior from Vancouver, we do get frosty nights, but fortunately have been giving way to bright sunshine and day temperatures of 15 C +. In not too long a time, we will be into the conditions where the Pathfinder will shine- snow and slick roads.

Woody
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    This is actually very easy. Wrap a screwdriver with a rag so as to not scratch anything. While applying force on the plastic piece away from the light assembly on the same plane (this will make the gap between the plastic piece and the light assembly bigger), insert screwdriver into this gap and pry outwards (away from the front of the vehicle). Moderate force is required. Excess force will mar or gouge the plastic. Piece of cake IMHO.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Unfortunately, I can speak for the structural soundness of the PF. I was recently in an accident with my 2001 SE(only 7k miles). I was driving on an interstate in the center lane, slightly ahead of a semi in the left lane. He began to change lanes(obviously not seeing me) and side-swiped me, hitting me in the rear driver's side quarter-panel. I spun out at 65 mph across the left lane. The semi hit me again, scraping along the entire driver's side. I was sandwiched between the truck and the center median barrier which was a terrifying experience. After the truck got by me, I got hung up on the median and tipped over onto the driver's side.

Thankfully I walked away with only a few bumps and bruises(I had my seatbelt on). My PF wasn't so lucky. The initial body shop estimate is $15k in damage. I was hoping the insurance company would 'total' it, but since it's almost new they would have needed about $5000 more damage. Luckily the front end was never really damaged so the engine was ok. Actually, the Nissan mechanic said it started right up and ran fine when they inspected it. Unfortunately, no matter how good of a job the bodyshop does I'm afraid my PF will never be the same.

I realize this accident doesn't fall into any of the crast test categories, but I can certainly vouch for the PF's structural durability. Even the body shop said the vehicle held up very well under the circumstances. I don't have any worries about this vehicle keeping me safe.

Just my 2 cents...
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    Sorry to hear about your horrible accident. Thankfully, you were not hurt badly. Thanks for sharing your expereince.
    Wow! That must have been a harrowing experience. Especially when you made it out of the Path and saw the damage. I'm glad you made it out safely and am sorry that they didn't estimate the damage as "totaled".

Did your side airbag deploy when your flipped on the side? What did the truck driver say?

Let's hope nobody else finds out how structurally sound the Paths are.

S-66
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Here are digital shots from this past weekends trip to the Canyonlands area of UT.

There was our '01 Pathy running new 265/70r16's, a '96 Tacoma with 32x11.5r15's, A '00 Wrangler w/31x10.5r15's. All were 5-spds, the Taco has a 1.75" Rancho lift, the Wrangler is stock, and I put in rubber spring spacers for a 1.5" lift on the Pathy.

Tires were aired down to 26 psi, and it worked like a charm.

Here are the pics: http://photos.yahoo.com/bgritz

interesting note:

the new 265/70R16's I just put on the Pathy measure to within 1/8 of an inch of height on the year-old 32's. sort of nice. Even completely cranked into the wheel well-with one side hanging in the air, there was still space left over-(due to the 1.5" spring spacer lift)

We ran about 78/mph out from Denver and averaged 19.32 mpg, and ran 85 mph back and got just under 18 mpg.

The 265/70's read 1.8 mph slower on the speedo-

i.e. 78 indicated on speedo = almost 80

as usual, the Pathy was rock solid and a pure joy to drive. It did much better than I expected on the tough trail. There were points where the LSD really helped.

• smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey BGRITZ... looked at your pics but couldn't tell... what kind of tires are those?
    Pathfinder Sport SUV's
    They are made for the Discount Tire Chain (http://tires.com/)by Kelly-Springfield and have a 60k warrantee. They come in both a 6 and and 8ply. I tried to get a bit more aggressive tire called the Radial ATR, but they don't make them in the 265/70's, and the 265/75's were a bit too close to the struts for comfort.

I have been very impressed with their traction and ability to flex. We haven't had any snow or rain since I put them on, but I'm thinking they should do much better than the pathetic stock Bridgestones that came on the Pathy.
  • engle3engle3 Member Posts: 12
    WOW! what a horrible experience! I certainly do appreciate you sharing that. Terrible thing to have a brand new truck messed up so badly.
    Way back in '88 I had a brand new Maxima station wagon hit so hard it did $9000 damage. They didn't total it either. That darn car is still out there running great with over 300,000 miles on it. It never had any big repair bills after the accident either.
    Let's hope yours will do the same.
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Where did you get the coil spring spacers? I have seen these for Jeep TJ's to "fine tune" a coil spring lift. They were sold in 3/8" thick sizes and seems about perfect. I'm just trying to slightly level the rear of the Pathfinder. It's riding a bit low with gear I keep in the back.

Many thanks!

Captain Ron. . .
  • maxdrivermaxdriver Member Posts: 6
    We took delivery on a silver 20001 SE automatic today and are absolutely thrilled with it. One reason we went with Nissan is because of the great experience I've had with my 95' Maxima. It's been reliable after 80,000 miles and is still a blast a drive.

The business manager tried hard to sell me an extended warranty. His primary pitch was the increased likelihood of mechanical problems with the 4 wheel drive system. He offered a 6 year, 75,000 mile, 0 deductible, bumper to bumper, for $960. At 3.9% it would have been about 18 dollars more per month. I declined the offer.

I told him one big reason I was buying Nissan was the excellent repair history of the product line. Anyone else had a similar sales pitch? Did you buy it? Any comments are appreciated.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Yeah,

The same thing happened to me. I leased my 01 LE and they gave me the same line of bull. I didn't buy the warranty, because the base warranty covers my lease period. Can't blame them for trying. I'm sure if you or I were in their shoes we'd be trying to sell warranties too. That's how they make extra $$.

Warranties aren't always a bad choice. I had a 98 Ford SVT Contour which I purchased the extended warranty for about $900 and got about $3000 of work out of it. Thank God I bought the warranty. Needless to say I got rid of the car the day the extended warranty expired. It all depends on the car and situation you in when you purchase.
  • donnellidonnelli Member Posts: 9
    I actually received the sales pitch, AND I was interested before he even gave the pitch. I had looked into Warranty Direct (some name like that) and a couple other online websites and had their quotes with me, but it turned out to be around the same price, therefore it would be easier to work directly with the manufacturer.
    I chose the warranty because I knew that we're going to keep this vehicle for a while and wanted the peace of mind
    I saw them at Pep Boys, Checker, and AutoZone. I ended up getting mine at AutoZone because they were the cheapest.
    A four-pack of 2-1/4-1/2 spacers were $7.99, so the entire lift cost me $16.
    I actually paid $24 because I thought that rears would be the same as the fronts and cut them at the same time. NOPE, the rear springs are much softer and have a lighter gauge spring.
    I ended up cutting the fronts about an 3/8's inch top and bottom, but leaving the rears uncut. that gave me the 1-3/4"-2.00" lift with a half tank of gas.
    They performed good off-road. I did check them and found that the rears wanted to tilt a bit to the sides on occasion. In 4 days of hanging the tires off the ground, I just had to climb under and scoot them back up-right twice.
    I also ran a zip tie laterally through them and around the spring on the rears to make sure the would not completely fall out.

I'll try and get some pics posted of the fronts and rears if interested. They definately give the Pathy a more muscular look.
    My original plan was to just put them in when heading to the hills, but after driving on-road with them in, I like the ride better and before. Not stiff like a truck, but slightly more firm, yet compliant.

Brian
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I declined the Nissan extended warranty and went with my Auto Ins. carrier...GEICO. Bumper to bumper including glass coverage with a $50.00 deductable and $250.00 deductable for everything else...yeah I know $250.00 deductable, but the cost for a 5 year/100,000 miles for a mere $190.00 for the extended warranty, I thought was a bargin.
  • pyrenuspyrenus Member Posts: 19
    Hey, if you guys figure out a way to get those 2nd fog lights worked out, let me know. I would love to know how to do that.

Also, why not grab some of those yellows off a wrecked QX4 or something?

PYRENUS
  • rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    Is the navigation system DVD based? All states on 1 DVD? Everyone satisfied with the navigation system? Complaints, likes, dislikes? Is it the same system as in the QX4?
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Please, do not accept anything but a total on your PF. No matter what they say, that kind of damage can't be fixed. Get some advice from someone who knows. Believe me, if the other guy was at fault, his insurance company will happily get you a new car. The price of a new PF is nothing compared to a personal injury law suit. You are entitled to a new car!
  • wholeinonewholeinone Member Posts: 9
    My wife was driving home from work, a car made a left turn right in front of her, she slammed on the brakes, she stopped just in front of the other car, the brakes worked! by the way she did get out of the car,she could just place her hand between her pathfinder and the other car.
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    Brian,

Do these coil spacers limit suspension travel, change the driveline angle, or otherwise impair normal operation? I'm new to lifts, and I'm trying to figure out what the tradeoffs are. What does the install entail? If they're so cheap, why don't more people do it?

Oh, if you could post pictures, that would be great.

Thanks,

Brian.
  • omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the shimmy info Matt!