Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    thanks for the link Dean,
    I had pulled it from your page before, but had lost the bookmark.
    Yesterday on AC there was a bit of discussion about a larger/more complete skid plate that someone was going to try and import. did you see that?

gritz
  • Options
    JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    An acquaintance is willing to pass on his '01 PF XE 2WD with on 16kmi on it and a 5/100 warranty (don't ask me why he bought the thing) for $18k.
    Is this a good deal? I'm in CA so don't need 4WD
    but would like to be able to cart my dog and two kids around.
    It seems for this price I can get a '98-99 4Runner SR5 with much higher mileage. At this basic level, how do the two compare?

JP
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Yeah, I saw that, but the skid plate they discussed looks too thin to be a real "skid plate". I wouldn't put anything thinner than .125" aluminum or .10" steel under there if I knew it would be banging into rocks a lot. My gas tank skid plate is bent in several spots as well, so even that's too thin.
  • Options
    ced1ced1 Member Posts: 8
    I got the complete set of weathertech mats, front, rear and cargo liner. They were expensive, but I love them. There is even a hole that can be punched out of the driver's side mat so that it too can be held in place by the bracket that holds the OEM mats.
  • Options
    robc5robc5 Member Posts: 3
    JPham--Sounds like the deal/price is quite good. In comparison to a 98-99 4Runner for the same price, it seems that the PF is the clear-cut winner. The PF has more horsepower (as 2001's got the great 3.5 engine) and a better ride and handling (Pathfinder is unibody, while 4Runner is truck-based). In addition, this PF is newer with lower milage plus the warranty--seems very clear, indeed.
    But, then again, I'm biased, as I love my '02 SE PF.
  • Options
    JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    Yeah, I do too so I nabbed it.
    The champagne '01 XE is now mine.
    I just need to tint the windows and slap the foglights and luggage rack on.
    Thanks.

JP
  • Options
    dts15dts15 Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market now for an SUV and found that I really like the Pathfinder and what it has to offer for the price. The problem that I am having is that I know time is getting close for the 2003 models to start coming out and wanted to know if anybody had any info on the new Pathfinder for 2003?

Thanks...
  • Options
    cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Although it doesn't happen every time, I have the same lurching movement when in Auto Mode, and I put it in park. A quick jerk forward for a second or so, but I haven't had it happen a 2nd time a few mintues later. Xplorx4 is right, the t-case is causing the movment when the clutches are uncoupled. I think it even states something to that effect in the Path owners manual. This is a normal function for the 4wd mode.
  • Options
    hmamontovhmamontov Member Posts: 10
    This is the all info I could find. It's from www.freshalloy.com forum.

Contrary to what I was previously told was going to happen (sorry for all my previous "no 03 Pathfinder posts",) there will be a 2003 Pathfinder that will lead up to the release of the full-size SUV, which should have Expedition-size proportions. No one will say if the full-size will be called the Pathfinder, but there is no '04 commitment. Navigation is supposed to be dropped from the '03 but other than that, don't expect any major changes.
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I've read rumours that the QX4 was being discontinued. How abour=t integrating the QX4 into the PF Line as the PF Li?
  • Options
    tswinktswink Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone give me any insight on Long Distance Towing with the Pathfinder. I normally pull my 4-wheelers (total weight approx. 2000# with all of our gear) with my GMC 1500HD CC and have no problems. We are scheduled to take a trip this summer that will entail towing the 4-wheelers about 1000 miles each way, and with 2 kids it would be great to go in the pathfinder so they can watch movies (limits the "are we there yet?" questions).

I would appreciate any input as to what I can expect.

Thanks,
  • Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I posted an error in response to a question on how many grease fittings there are. There is only one, but it's on the transfer case end of the -front- drive shaft. It's there to lube the slip joint. I still find it odd that there is no visible slip joint in the rear drive shaft, where the diff. moves up and down, but there is one on the front, where the diff. is bolted to the frame.

It all seems to work well, so no sense second guessing the engineers.
  • Options
    Expect to get crappy gas mileage.

Before you tow cross-country (sounds like you'll be playing in the desert) consider installing a transmission cooler. It will help keep your transmission fluid from getting too hot while towing (esp. in the summer!)
  • Options
    dts15dts15 Member Posts: 3
    Seeking people’s opinions on the DVD and Navigation System upgrades. Are they really worth getting for the money?

Thanks,
    DTS
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    The wireless (infrared signal) headphones do not work well. They have a microswitch in one ear that is supposed to mate when they are put on your head. However, children's heads and some small adult's (My wife is a small adult.) are not large enough to make the the switch mate and they have to press and hold the ear piece against their head. I asked Infiniti to do something about it. They said they could not since it was a CE (China Electronics) system and they could not tear into it. Therefore, I did it myself. It was very simple for me to open it up, remove the switch and twist the wires together. However, it stopped working again and I have to look at it again. I would ask if there is a wired headphones if you are going to get one since they don't seemed to be committed to fixing the design of the wireless one. I just have to let the kids play it through the stereo speakers. On the bright side, I have heard that you can plug a Playstation in and I am currently looking for a power converter for my son's so he can play it in the QX4.
  • Options
    jacknorth2001jacknorth2001 Member Posts: 3
    Today, I went shopping for mothers day. Flowers I thought would be nice. As I was leaving the local grocery store, I noticed the wind was gusting and also noticed an empty shopping cart whizz by at bullit speed past many cars and directly into the drivers door of my 6 month old Pathfinder. UGGHHH!
    You should see the dent this thing made!!!

So I pose some questions to you all.

1. Why does Nissan not put any sort of protection on the doors what so ever! (I looked around the parking lot and couldn't find even one car without some sort of moulding on the door)

2. Why does Nissan use such crappy thin sheet metal! (Just venting)

3. Can anyone recommend any stock/aftermarket stuff I could go with (like could you put a qx4 moulding package one?

And Finally

4. Why me :(
  • Options
    pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    1. Nav/Dvd Upgrade well i find them both very helpfull and of super quality and it will help with re-sale
    2.IR head Phones i have the same problem with the auto switch in them but i think the IR signal will match with any after market IR head phone's AKA sony
    3.Renagade shopping cart... my 01 Le came with Body side moldings but of little help with a mach 3 shopping cart!
    4. For all my 01 does the Path finder lurch when i turn off the p-finder and i am in 4 wheel auto
    R
    Pit
  • Options
    cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    Well, it's been four months and I have put 3000 miles on my 02 LE 4x4 Pathfinder. No problems to report. Everything is perfect! I averaged 19.5 mpg on a 600 mile highway trip. I was going 75 mph with air conditioning "on" most of the way. However, I have only been averaging 14 mpg city but I do have a heavy foot. Its fun to drive!
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Your pathfinder won't break a sweat towing 2000lbs long distance. I have an 01 LE that I tow my 3200lb boat with. In January I towed Uhaul's largest box trailer from Florida to Chicago. My towed load on that trip was at least 3,000lbs plus 4 adults. I avg. about 13 mpg @ 70 mph the entire trip. A box trailer is harder to pull than a boat or a utility trailer towing jet skis or 4 wheelers. The wind resistance is a lot higher. I tow my boat all over the place and I've found the pathfinder to be very capable. If your only towing about 2,000lbs I don't think an external trans. cooler is necessary. I haven't added one, but I definitely will be changing the trans. fluid at regular intervals.
  • Options
    jafo2001jafo2001 Member Posts: 98
    I am looking at the pathfinder. My biggest concern is that it not old has just 16 mpg (ugh!) but it requires premium fuel making it more like 13 mpg - equal to a v8 Explorer or something.

Is the premium fuel required or just reccommended and what happens if you don't put it in?
  • Options
    rpwaterloorpwaterloo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 XE. I have noticed my front driver's side power window does not go up at the same rate as the front passenger side window. I have checked them from time to time by simultaneously putting them up and down. The problem seemed to be more pronounced, at times, when the weather got much colder. There does not seem to be any difference in the rate when they are lowered. Can anyone comment whether they have noticed anything or not, or suggest possible problems. I want to be armed when I talk to the dealer about this so any problems can be addressed while the vehicle is still under waranty. Many thanks. I am loving this forum!
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    jafo2001: The fuel recomemdation is for "maximum performance" towing,racing ect. I've tried premium and haven't noticed any difference. I get 19-20 using regular fuel on the freeway and it runs great. Might be a good idea to use premium towing.
  • Options
    To Nissan USA:
    We're sorry, the site you are using is brain dead and we can't possibly shop for and buy your vehicles because we are too smart to use IE 6 as a browser.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I have EXACTLY the same issue on my 2001 LE. During real cold snaps, the window would stall completely and actually start back down again. It is absolutely cold temp related. I called the dealer who told me it might need cleaning or lubing or something, but I know it is a mechanical problem as I have heard others on this forum gripe about it (including one guy who had the mechanism fail). I should have taken the truck in to the dealer when the temperature was really cold because the problem is 100% reproducable. Now that it is warmer out, it is just slightly slower when colder.

I haven't seen a TSB on it yet, but I will log the problem at my next service so at least it is on the record. Anybody else (especially you Canucks) have this problem??
  • Options
    To Nissan USA:
    We're sorry, the site you are using is brain dead and we can't possibly shop for and buy your vehicles because we are too smart to use IE 6 as a browser.

Huh? www.nissandriven.com works on IE5.1 for Mac and IE4 (WinNT). So does www.nissan.ca/eng/cars/pathfinder/index.html You got a URL that requires IE6?
  • Options
    mysha1mysha1 Member Posts: 3
    HI--This is my first time posting to this site. First, let me thank all of you: it was because of this site that I learned so much about the Pathfinder and why I ultimately purchased one. I have an '02 LE model and I love it. I just have one problem (and I'm not sure if it's just me or not): I just can't seem to set the seat so that I'm totally comfortable. It seems that no matter how I adjust the seat, some part of my body is fatigued. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? Will this last until I break the seat in. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    01path01path Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have details on how to replace the Micron air filter on a 2001 Pathfinder? My local dealership wants $100 to replace it. I know I can get the filter itself for $25-35. I have heard replacing the filter involves taking apart the glove compartment, but any additional details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Are you adjusting the lumbar support? I find that this is critical to getting a comfortable position for long periods.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the Town Hall!

With regard to your problem with seating comfort, are you finding the seats generally too large or small? I am not familiar enough with the Pathfinder to say so I'll ask - do they have tilt control for the seat (not the back)?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    rc2001rc2001 Member Posts: 4
    For detailed instructions, go to www.courtesyparts.com, click on pathfinder, scroll down to accessories, click on in-cabin microfilters and click on "view installation instructions". I ordered the in-cabin filters and the package also comes with detailed instructions. I haven't installed them yet so I can't tell you how hard or easy to install.
  • Options
    jclewjclew Member Posts: 4
    On a recent trip, I had my '01 4x4 Man Trans Pathy set at 75mph on the cruise control. Because I was bored, I decided to check my speedo’s accuracy. I was able to maintain the speed over the course of an hour without slowing down or speeding up. You may be surprised to find out (or maybe not) that I averaged 72.5mph. I am aware that the vehicle may not maintain exactly what you have the cruise set to, but I tend to think that the fine folks here in Texas are capable of putting their mile marker signs the proper distance apart. Over the one hour period, I traveled 72.5 miles while my odometer read 74 miles. Assuming that this discrepancy is constant, I void my 36,000 mile warranty well over 500 miles early. Anyone else out there have this trouble?
  • Options
    alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Put on bigger tires and void you warranty 500 miles later.
  • Options
    dbenjamin1dbenjamin1 Member Posts: 12
    having trouble with the search here...few questions on installing a hidden hitch.Its in the driveway as we speak, so your immediate feedback is appreciated!
    1.where is the passenger side wires grommet located? looked underneath and cannot find the wires!
    2. Could the original tie down bracket be mounted on top of the tow bar?
    3. what is the "black box" located on the drivers side near the mounting points for the tow bar? looks to be maybe a filter or the rear window washer unit?
    4. Any tips on running the wires- can this be done after the hitch is installed?
  • Options
    bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    jclew:
    Yup, ours was 2-2.5 mph slow per my GPS w/factory rubber. When I went to the 265/70R16's, I'm now about 2.5mph high @ highway speeds. Of course I change the tires right before the 30k mark. Every car we have ever owned has been 1-3 mph slower than indicated on the speedo. note: As your tires wear and get smaller, the error will get worse because of the smaller diameter = more RPM's/mile.

dbenjamin:
    I could not find a "factory made" place to slip the wiring through on our '01, so I made my own. If you remove the little cargo bin that lays below the rear panel (above the spare), there is a tiny rubber grommet that pokes out directly above the spare. I cut a little slit in it, slid the wire through, then added a bit of silicone to reseal it after I had pulled enough wire through to the receiver.
    good luck
    gritz
  • Options
    foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    I have a couple questions about the Pathy's 4wd drive system. As I understand things it's more or less a traditional 4hi/4lo system with a center differential that allows for an AWD mode. This center diff is locked when 4lo is engaged. Does this sound right so far? Outside of the limited slip differential, is there another system available that counters wheel spin (left/right or front/rear)? I'm referring to something like the Mercedes/Toyota braking system or the Jeep gerotor system. If there is not one currently available, are there plans or rumors for one in the near future? Thanks in advance for any and all info.
  • Options
    It's normal for speedometers to have an error of up to +/-2%. I've heard of cases where it's even much higher than that.

I doubt the dealer will make any attempts to correct your odometer error, but if voiding your warranty 500 miles too early is an issue, bring it up and make sure it gets into your service record. That way, if something goes wrong at 36,500 miles, you're still covered.
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments, Tidester and Li Sailor. I think it's me...I came from a Honda Accord where I sat very low to the ground. I think I'm getting close, though. Li Sailor: I have adjusted the lumbar support, although I find that I can't use too much otherwise my upper back isn't supported. Tidester: Yes, the seat does have tilt (which is helpful). I suppose that this is just part of the car-to-SUV process. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. Again, I can't tell you enough how awesome this site is for valuable information.
  • Options
    Oh...I forgot to answer your question about "too large or too small." I'm a tall gal (5'9", so I could actually use a little larger seat on the bottom to better support my legs. But, it isn't terrible. Thanks again!
  • Options
    sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    02 Pathfinder with OEM hitch has sloppy (loose) receiver. The two trailer bars I used on my 4 Runner fit snug and didn't clunk with trailers. Anyone else with this problem?
  • Options
    foghorn48: PF AWD system has a set multiple disk clutches and 2 oil pumps. One driven off the axle and one electric that is used at slow speeds or stopped. At 1% increments as the speed sensors detect the rear wheels slip torque is transferred to the front axle. When 4WD Hi/Low is selected the clutches are locked.
  • Options
    woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I had a 95 Pathfinder with a Hidden Hitch on it. The drawbars fitted snug, with no rattle. The same manufacturer (Hidden Hitch) on my 2001 Pathfinder with the same draw bar does rattle. I called Hidden Hitch and they suggested I return it. I took my drawbar to the hitch shop and tried it in many hitches, with the same slopiness. I was told that they were using imported steel, which apparently was not uniformly sized.

I had a friend put a few beads of weld on the drawbar, and it is now ok.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dbenjamin1dbenjamin1 Member Posts: 12
    Well as the rain and darkness approached, I got it wired up. Some observations..
    Hitch itself is straight forward- remove the two tie down brackets and replace with hitch bar. I torqued to 72lbs. It is easier if you remove the "black box" on the drivers side as it allows for a ratchet to fit up there.
    The wiring is a real pain to thread underneath. There is not a direct line of sight between the tailight grommet and any openings underneath. The drivers side has a wiring opening, but it involves two right angles that make it very difficult to snake the wire. The passenger side was a little easier as you had access beneath the cd changer. I ended up routing both wires out the drainage hole on either side(obviously on the outside of the tube) and then ran each wire to the center where I zip tied the Black box, just behind the hitch center.
    I ran the plug through the center of the hitch for storage( as it gives you about 3 ft of wire) and can remove it when its time to tow.
    The tube bar tucks fairly nicely(given the spare tire) and I'll probably glue some rubber diamond mat on the top for a step.
  • Options
    Sounds like the AWD is much more advanced than I thought. Sounds a little bit like the Jeep gerotors on the quadra drive system. Where are the disc clutches and oil pumps located (front, center or rear diff)? Does this only manage slippage from rear to front or side to side as well? You said in 4hi/lo the clutches are locked. Does this mean all of the diffs are locked or just the center one? Thanks again for anymore info.
  • Options
    The Pathfinder AWD system is nothing close to the Jeep Quadra-drive system. The only locking mechanism occurs in the center diff.

AWD allows both driveshafts to rotate independently, and torque is applied to the front driveshaft when rear slippage occurs.

In 4HI and 4LO, the transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts together.

The front differential on the Pathfinder is open, so if you lift one front tire off the ground, all the torque sent through the front driveshaft will be applied to the wheel off the ground.

The rear diff (on some models) is limited slip, so if one rear tire is off the ground, most of the torque sent through the rear driveshaft is applied to the wheel in the air, and some (but not much) is applied to the wheel on the ground.

Bottom line- if you get a front wheel and a back wheel simultaneously stuck on a low traction surface, you're not going anywhere without someone else's help.

The only way to lock the rear (or front) differential is to replace it with an aftermarket unit manufactured by ARB, available through Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com).
  • Options
    The clutch is located in the auto transmission (though technically it's part of the transfer case I suppose). It only locks the transfer case front/rear. Side to side in rear only is available with limited slip (if you have it - all Canadian LE units do). It is not lockable manually.

When using "AUTO" mode on the unit (only available with the automatic transmission), you will get poorer mileage - mine drops about 13% from 15 l/100 km to 17 or so. That's from about 30 MPG to about 25 MPG Imperial (I think). Sorry, I'm confused enough by Imperial - don't know US MPG - I LOVE metric l/100 km (litres per hundred kilometre).
  • Options
    Thanks guys. That's more inline w/what I originally thought the system was like, but I wasn't sure. Meca2's post to my orig question lead me to think otherwise (due to my own misinterpretation, not his description).

Now for my next question. Do either of you (or anyone else) know if Nissan plans to incorporate a system that does control wheel slip a bit better than a LSD? I consider this shortcoming to be a fairly signficant one, considering that most of the Pathy's has some sort of a traction control. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    pathstar: The AWD clutches are located in the transfer case. The fluid is completely separate from the transmission.
    foghorn48: Some of the traction control systems uses indevedual wheel braking which is very complicated and by the time you reach the top of the hill the brakes are so hot you should let them cool before going down the other side.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm aware of this limitation on those systems. Not bad for light duty, but serious stuff warrants more. That's why I was kinda disappointed to see that Toyota went to a brake modulated system instead of it's traditional 4hi/lo with a locking rear diff. That's also why I think the Jeep gerotor system is pretty cool, in theory. Unfortunately in reality it has some serious problems with reliability.

Just so I'm straight, the Pathy's awd system is the only place the clutches and oil pumps come into play, right? And they only transfer torque from rear to front? The rest of the 4wd system is a traditional 4hi/lo with the center diff locking in lo, correct? Thanks for getting me right.
  • Options
    li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Everytime I think I understand 4WD I see something that trips me up.

Ok, if the front and read diffs are open...shouldn't that mean that, when going in a circle, there should be no binding left/right (front OR rear)? And front/rear, they should be the same speed (left front same as left rear, etc.) So why can't I drive on dry roads in 4WD HI/LO?
  • Options
    I think I've got it now. Thanks for the explanation. Seems strange that the center diff would be locked in hi, but I'll take your word for it.