Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...the total cost for using fuel on which the engine was designed to run most efficiently is $279

I don't think you meant to say that!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    Total ADDITIONAL cost...
    jack <><
  • mattbrown15mattbrown15 Member Posts: 7
    I have started to notice a pulsating in the brakes accompanied by intermittant brake "noise." The noise is too hard to describe, but is somewhere between a squeel and a grinding...kinda like when an 18-wheeler pumps air brakes (if that makes any sense). I brought it in and sure enough, they need to turn the rotors. It is a 2001 LE with 20,000 miles on it and they say that this is not technically covered by warrantee, but they will try to submit it anyway. I am having a hard time believing that this would not be covered, but would appreciate any opinions someone with more knowledge may have.

Second...anyone had problems with the auto window feature. Specifically the window going all the way up and then starting back down. Almost like the pinch protection is kicking in improperly? The dealership can't seem to replicate the situation and won't do anything if they can't. Wondering if anyone had the same problem and found a fix for it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    mattbrown,
    I have noticed that once or twice my drivers window has done the same thing. It has only been while driving @ hwy speeds. My best guess is that the airflow around the windshield and A-pillars creates enough of a vaccuum to bind the window just enough to make it think it has bumped something. I used some silicone in the slide areas and have not had the problem since. Good luck.
    Gritz
  • georgedegeorgede Member Posts: 40
    In my area (South Florida), 93 octane runs around .20 cents more than 87 octane (middle grade around .10). I just hit 2000 miles on my 2002 Pathy LE, running on 87 octane without any problems or loss power. But the census seems that higher octane makes a difference. After reading post 5192 (thanks evaddave), I will start using middle grade first to see if there's any difference, and then I may switch to High test. Although, there's a big controversy over this subject, since my Pathy is not leased, I will follow the trend. Thanks guys..
  • lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 Pathy SE and I am interested in the interior bike rack. Has anyone installed one and what are my options for this? Are there options other than the Nissan rack? I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this. Still lovin' this vehicle!
  • mday2mday2 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everybody. I am very much considering the purchase of a 98 Pathfinder. It will be the first car purchase I have ever made by my self, and all the posts I have read seem to agree that this type of SUV is very reliable. Can anyone advise me of any problems or anything like that with these vehicles? I want a suv and not an american made one either.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    is how underpowered it is. I would recommend at least a 2001. That is when they changed from a 170 hp to 240 hp engine. I am told the pre 2001's are severely underpowered.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    It is true that the 2001+ PF's have a significantly improved powertrain - 240 hp and AWD ("auto 4WD" vs "manual 4WD"). But unless you're towing, the pre-2001 isn't significantly underpowered. I drove a leased 2000 with the 170 hp engine for three years and was pleased with the performance although my newly purchased QX4 with 240 hp is definitely better.

My suggestion would be for you to try the 1998 and then try a 2001 and make your own choice based on needs and budget.
  • dylan3ddylan3d Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if this syle of roof rack is even available? If so where can I get it?
  • dlundgrendlundgren Member Posts: 17
    Well, the SE has a rack quite similar to the Xterra, I thought. I just (this evening) got back from an 1800 mile round trip from NY State down to North Carolina near Wilmington with two 12 foot Perception kayaks on the rack of my 2002 SE. On the rare occasions when I-95 was not a parking lot, we had the cruise set on 75mph and those things never moved once.

We carry the kayaks all over the place and the rack on the SE has been great. The guys at the kayak store talk about dilettante racks on some so-called SUVs, but the PF ain't one of them! I can't say enough about the thing.
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    The factory interior bike rack is pretty nice, as are other ones available at www.bikenashbar.com or www.performancebike.com, but I just made my own. You can purchase the fork clamps thru the above sites or at most any bike shop. Then simply mount the fork clamp to a 2x8 piece of wood (wide enough to create stability). To make the stability better, I cut slots in the piece of wood large enough for the QX4 floor mounting hooks to fit thru, then use something like a cotter pin to secure the piece of wood to the hooks.
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    Great Idea...kinda looks like this??? see post 6

rack
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE. I don't really dig the new roofrack, and was wondering if it would be possible to buy the roofrack that is on the LE and place it on the SE. I have seen the tracks and it seems as though they both fit into the same grooves, so maybe it would be possbile?

Anyone have any info?

Thanks
    Hi, I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE. I'm not too happy with the car, too many problems I see with it. I'm not sure if its just mine, or if they are all like it. I used to have a 99 Pathfinder and did not have these problems. If anyone doesn't mind reading my long post, its in the Problems & Solutions section, post #362

Not sure if this link works: mattman055 "Nissan Pathfinder Club-Problems & Solutions" Jul 29, 2002 6:46pm
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Have you checked the tire pressures? When I took delivery of my 2000 SE, the dealer had left the pressures at the delivery level - 45 psi! 26 psi is a little too soft. 30-32 is good in my experience.
    If tire pressure is too high, you will feel every little bump. If the 2 front tires don't have equal pressure, the vehicle will usually pull toward the side with the lower tire pressure.
    I checked the pressure the other day. Not sure how accurate my $5 guage is, but they both showed about 29psi on all four tires. The door jab says 30psi, so its close enough.
    I would take it to a Tire and Alignment Shop and let them look at it. Have them check the alignment, tire pressure and balancing. If they find nothing, rotate the tires. If there is a bad tire on the front and you move it to the back, it may stop drifting. This is assuming that both the current rear tires are good. I have had a bad tire do this to me before. Sometimes they just come from the tire factory with a defect that is very hard to find. The defect may be inside the tire rubber itself.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I also think something is wrong with your PF. The quickest way to determine if it is characteristic of all PF's or just yours is to take a quick spin in another. I'm sure your dealer will accommodate you (if they know anything about good service...).

I also owned a 99.5 PF LE for 2 years before trading in for a 2001 LE. The 3 areas you mentioned (steering feel, braking, ride comfort) were probably the things that I felt changed the least. Good luck...she's a nice truck when she's treatin' you right!
    Okay, some notes from my drive home today.

The wheel seemed really TIGHT! I'm not a small guy, 6'2, 190 Lbs. But it sure did seem tight, took lots of force to move, and that&#146;s without applying the brakes.

When i apply the brakes it gets even tighter. Something must be wrong because i could tell that if an emergency came up and i had to jam on the brakes *and* swerve out of the way it wouldn&#146;t happen.

What can be wrong?
  • pathy58pathy58 Member Posts: 15
    Sounds like there may be more than one problem. The advice to ask dealer to drive another unit off his lot is very good advice. I have the 2001 LE loaded and with about 46,000 miles now it still drives like new. My only complaint is the gas mileage. I just wish it would get better mileage. If Nissan would give us a higher gear for highway non towing we could get 20+ MPG.

Good Luck and stick with the complaining, your vehicle is not normal. I guess there has to be one lemon in a million and sounds like you got it. Don't give up.
  • samalarkysamalarky Member Posts: 4
    I have two things occuring with my 95 Pathfinder XE that concern me. First off, when my AC is on it makes a little squeaking noise, which I am told is probably the fan. However, when I make sharper turns, I hear a rumbling and fluid leaks into the vehicle on the passenger side floorboard. The higher up the AC is, the more dripping there is. It is also acompanied bya grumbling. whooshing noise with an even louder squeak. The internal dripping really concerns me. Anybody else have this in an older Pathfiner. It has just under 82K on it.

Secondly, there is a curious noise when I depress the brake, but it only happens when the vehicle is in park. When I press down on the brake in park I hear a little, yet distinct click that appears to be coming from where the shifter is (it's an automatic 2WD). The brakes operate fine and sound fine in drive or reverse. I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard this click.
  • dmahdmah Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 SE no problems until this morning with the headlights. Daytime running lights not working, high beam only on one side, low beams are fine.

Any ideas? Once I get back home, I'll rip out the bulbs and check them - just wondering if anybody has any ideas. BTW - they are PIAA's, been fine for over 2 years.
    The fluid leaking into the cabin could be the result of a leak in the heater core or somewhere in the heat xchanger for the climate control. What color is it...green??

The clicking sound is very likely the shift/brake interlock and is completely normal. It is designed to ensure you can't shift into Reverse or Drive from Park until you have put your foot on the brake.
    I have a 2001 SE no problems until this morning with the headlights. Daytime running lights not working, high beam only on one side, low beams are fine.

Any ideas? Once I get back home, I'll rip out the bulbs and check them - just wondering if anybody has any ideas. BTW - they are PIAA's, been fine for over 2 years.
  • samalarkysamalarky Member Posts: 4
    The fluid leaking into the cabin is clear and has no odor. I assumed it was water like that which drips from the bottom of a vehicle when the AC is used.

So it is normal for the clicking to start out of nowhere? It didn't used to click. Then all of a sudden when I brake in order to shift into drive (from a parked position) I hear a click. You are saying this is fine. Or should I have it checked out?

Thanks.
    DRLs? I didn't know the Pathfinder had DRLs. Are you sure you're not looking at the foglights. My QX4 doesn't have DRLs. I thought that was just an American made thing.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Canadian models of the Pathfinder/QX 4 are required to have daytime running lights by our Federal government. I had symptoms like you describe on my Canadian 95 Pathfinder, and it was the module that controlled the running lamps. Mine was mounted behind the battery. Check with the dealer to troubleshoot. You may want to go to http://www.nissan.ca/eng/dealers/index.asp

as US dealers may have no knowledge of the DRL's.
    Can't help you on the clear fluid thing...

I don't know why it would suddenly start to click. Every vehicle I have owned with this safety feature has always clicked audibly from the beginning. Maybe it just started clicking loud enough for you to hear it? Did you recently have some work done to your truck?
    OK - Looks like the bulb went. Based on the operation of the lights, it seems that they are connected in series (I guess they do this to dim them), so if one fails, the other will too - just like the christmas lights.
  • poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I am thinking of getting a Class III hidden hitch for my 01 Pathfinder LE. I have looked around but could not find anything that looks like there is some prewiring for the trailer connections underneath near the spare tire connection. I went to the Nissan dealer and saw 2 new PF's that had hitches that they put on by the dealer. Both of them they cut into the rear turn signal wires and spliced them for the trailer electrical connections? Can this be the only way this must be
    done or is there already some prewiring for a trailer? Many people I talk to at work have other late model SUV's that are already prewired
    for trailers/Rv's. Ii'm hoping so does the Nissan. I see that you can buy T connectors for this function from vendors like Drawtite and
    others . Where do they plug into?

Thanks for the help.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    The clicking is definitely normal. All of my Nissans have done it.

The clear liquid is condensation from the AC. It should drain out somewhere, but the drain is plugged. I'm sorry I don't have any better details for you.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Nissan has two ways of wiring the '01 because of changes in rear access holes under neath. Nissans wire harness connects the wires in the tail lights they do not "splice" the wires. I went with Nissan hitch and wire harness. Some complained that the hitch rattled on the exhaust,ect with other hitches.
    Poswald, installing a class III hitch and wiring on your '01 is a pretty simple process. I found a wiring harness frpm a dealer on eBay for about $25. Installation took me about 20 minutes and was a plug-in deal, using a screwdriver and requiring no wire cutting or splicing. I just loosened the rear interior side panels to run the wiring harness and removed both tail lights to access the connectors. I found a great tube hitch on eBay from etruckaccessories4less.com for $75. Nice quality, installed in about 30 minutes with hand tools, and no problems with fit or rattles. I installed the entire setup in under an hour at a total cost of about $125, shipping included. Beats the heck out of paying the dealer $400!
    jack <><
  • mike3137mike3137 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have information on a recent Technical Service Bulletin regarding the Pathfinder's paint? I am having problems with "rail dust" and other contaminants on my rocker panels, doors, and rear hatch (2001 Sierra Silver). These particles (likely brake dust) eventually turn orange and assume a rust-like color. There is apparently a TSB (#01-087A) that addresses how to remove the particles. Any insights or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    JFlash, did the receiver you bought require any drilling on the frame?

[btw, when you install a receiver (I previously installed one on my '90 PF), make sure you don't let it slide around on the garage floor when you're installing it -- it scratches the receiver, leading to rust.]
    lancearmstrong--
    The hitch I purchased (see my post above) bolted right on, no drilling required. It was powder coated instead of painted, but your suggestion to watch for scuff marks was a good one. I try to touch up any scratches ASAP so as to avoid rust.
    jack <><
  • saschah83saschah83 Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to know which Mobil 1 Oil Filter would fit a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    I am interested in leasing a 02 PF. I never leased a car before. I'd very appreciate it if you could provide me some information(price, term) I live in Seattle area.

Thank you very much
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Waiting for a good-looking replacement. New 4Runner is bad-[non-permissible content removed]! The Pathfinder is QUICKLY becoming irrelevant!
    You are the only one that I have read that likes the way it looks? You like those GM-like plastic fender flares and the punny RAV4 looking front grill. If I was going to buy a 4Runner (and I almost did but went for the QX4 instead in January) I would get the 2002 model since they may offer some good deals on them. I sure would not own one of those 2003's though.
  • path63path63 Member Posts: 8
    I currently own a 2001 Pathfinder LE and thinking about purchasing Nissan's Security Plus gold plan.

Has anyone purchased this or any other extended warranty from Nissan? If so, what has been your experience??
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Test drove a 02 4Runner Sport, then immediately test drove a 02 Path LE.....No Comparison! Take the Path!!
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I wouldn't do it...they are pricey and as reliable as the Path is, you will probably never need it. Put that money in a savings account and let it earn interest until you need it.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Don't worry...this is the last year for the "sled" as we know it. Soon it will be larger,about the size of an Yukon and have an V-8.
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I would be happy with somthing more in the MDX size range.
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Hi everybody,
    I didn't get any response from my posting. I will try it again. I want to lease or buy a 02 Pathfinder. I'd appreciate any information. I hope
    I can get some ideas of what deals you've got before I go to Nissan dealers.

Thanks very much
  • jk1169jk1169 Member Posts: 1
    My '94 XE won't start if the ignition has been off for 10-60 minutes after being driven for more than 30 minutes straight in 85+ degree weather. No mechanic can find the problem and I've been given hundreds of best-guesses. Has anyone had this or a similar problem?