Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    let us know how they go..

just curious, what is the temp tsb? i have heard of that but am not sure what the problem even is...

when you called your dealership were they aware of the bottoming out tsb or did you have to inform them of it..

I'm debating whether or not to contact my dealer about that.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Does this bottoming out thing apply to all Pathfinders or only some specific ones. I have 2002 Le and have no problems with anything except the dash rattling. How do I know my car is bottoming out. Can anybody help. Is there easy way to figure it out.
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    I'm still waiting on the dealer regarding the parts for the rear suspension issue.

The Temp Display TSB specifies "inspection" according to my dealer. I'll have them perform that work when the parts come in for the rear suspension "fix."

My temp displays has always been 3-5 degrees warmer. Funny given that I used to have a '96 PF with a temp display that was right on.

The bottoming situation (at least for me) is a loud and harsh "bang" when crossing speed bumps or rail road crossings with 1 or 2 people in the back seat and/or some cargo in the rear compartment. This would be annoying in a Buick, unacceptable in a "truck."

AW
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    My 2001 PF is at the dealership now... should know something soon. The service writer didn't know about either TSB but that's not surprising. The TSBs were issued for 2002s even though the 2001-2003 are basically the same as far as these issues. But, I'm afraid they'll tell me that it's not for the 2001. The temp problem is that it reads way higher than the actual temperature. This is because it's mounted inches from the radiator. My guess is that the TSB says to move it to a different location. The bottoming out, as ANDY1961 said, only occurs when you have a load in the rear. I don't hear a bang or anything but when I hit a bump it feels like a harsh thud as the suspension hits the stops.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have a 2001 LE with a rattle that appears to be coming from the vents...not sure though. I want to take it in, however, I'm a little sceptical of the local Nissan service dept...don't have the confidence that they can rid of the rattle without making it worse. I only hear it when the music is off...I almost always listen to music while driving and I guess that's my fix. Can you describe exactly what kind of rattle you are experiencing? Other than that, I love my PF and have NOT experienced this bottoming out issue.
    I only hear when I turn off the music and also if I turn on the a/c the rattling seems to be louder. I figured it out today that if I press the center dash left vent the rattle goes away. You're right, going to dealer will make it worse. When I went to dealer, they said that they need to change the whole steering column and take out the whole dash and redo it. For a small thing they need to go that big process, it doesn't make sense to me. I just thought rather live with some rattling. Another funny thing is if I warm up my car for 3-4 minutes and drive slowly for while and then normal, there's no rattling at all. Other than rattling thing, this car has been superb. By the way, you might also try pressing the vent when you hear the rattling noise.
    What's the part number? I can't find a fitting for the front strut.

AW
  • dupersc1dupersc1 Member Posts: 11
    I think the part numbers are:

335015 (right) and 335016 (left)

Tirerack only listed up to 1998 model year, even though the 99+ use the same struts.

You can go straight to the page and order or call them up.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/index.jsp

Choose year model 1998.

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Just used the www.edmunds.com and linked to the dealership to request info for 2003 Pathfinder (3.9% and $1000 cash back) since 10/15. No dealer in my area had email or call me. Also tried the www.nissanusa.com and got no response. Isn't it great?
    Is it a direct replacement?

AW

I think the part numbers are:

335015 (right) and 335016 (left)

Tirerack only listed up to 1998 model year, even though the 99+ use the same struts.

You can go straight to the page and order or call them up.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/index.jsp

Choose year model 1998.

• dupersc1dupersc1 Member Posts: 11
    Yes, they are exactly the same as the stocks. In fact, OEM struts are made by KYB. The only difference is the aftermarket KYBs are about 15% stiffer and come in silver.

If you'd like to do it yourself, Xplor4x has a very good write up with pictures.

http://groups.msn.com/xplorx4/modkybgr2struts.msnw

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No dealer in my area had email or call me.

You're not alone! I've had the same thing happen (actually NOT happen!) to me. I think it's a local thing with some dealers being cooperative and others, well, just too busy to follow up!

tidester, host
    Thanks for the info and advice.

My PF is at the dealer today for the rear suspension TSB.

I'm definitely planning on replacing the rear shocks and front struts, but need to prioritize those expenditures against the new tires I need sooner. And I'll need to find a suitable mechanic to perform the installation for reasons I mentioned before.

AW

P.S. I'm looking for 2nd opinions on the Yokohoma Geolandar HT. They have great owner ratings in Tirerack, but Consumer Reports gave them poor ratings for ice/snow traction. Being in Minnesota, that's a big concern to me.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    tidester - I have been getting a lot of emails from The Nissan Consumer Affairs saying they have made contact to the dealers. But I still got no calls or email. Interestingly, I got ton of email responses when I requested for more info on Honda Odysseys. BTW, I live in Quincy, MA.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    For those of you who have 2001 Nissan Pathfinders, did the dealers fix the issues in the TSBs? Did you just show them the TSBs from NHTSA?
    Why did you select Ranchos in the rear?

I noticed that KYB has a 1998 rear fitment. Is there a reason why you didn't use KYB's?

AW
    My dealer called to say that the rear suspension TSB (spring bumpers) has been completed on my PF.

He will show me the actual TSB when I pick up the PF later today. I'll post more details tomorrow.

He also ordered a new temp sensor, unfortunately that part will not be in until sometime next week.

I originally gave the dealer the TSB service bulletin numbers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike recalls, TSB's are not mandatory procedures, you need to report the problem.

AW
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Rancho RS9000 shocks are adjustable, which means if you are going to tow or carry heavy loads, or use your truck off-road, you can dial in the amount of damping you need depending on the circumstances.

Otherwise, you're just replacing shocks, not upgrading...

Then again, Rancho doesn't "officially" make shocks that fit the Pathfinder, so if you're concerned about warranty issues, then don't use 'em.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    question for those who have had the TSB done...

does this tsb address 'sagging' which can occur with a load in the rear cargo area (even a light load)..

any other effects?

thanks
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Initial impressions...very satisfied, but pricey.

The insert is approx. 4"x36", powder-coated steel mesh with approx 3/16" holes and a rubber/nylon frame. Looks good, nice quality. It fits snugly into the grille opening just below the main grille, which is where most of the rocks/debris seem to fly into (mine looks like a war zone).

Installation was really a snap, literally 10 minutes. 4 zipties attach it to the vertical fins in the opening. You really can't see the ties, even close up. Time will tell how much abuse the zipties put up with, but it's pretty easy to replace them every year if necessary (though probably unlikely). I'd post a pic, but the website looks exactly like mine anyways:

http://www.grille-tech.com

• plasmid1plasmid1 Member Posts: 11
    Phil,

can you still put the front license plate on after you installed the insert??? i am just wondering since i would like to add one myself.

thanks,
    Don't they have for the upper part also.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    we're not required to have a front licence plate. I'll have to check on the mounting holes, although you can probably check for yourself just keeping in mind that the insert sits about 1/4" in front of the 2 vertical fins in the opening, and is flush with the top of the opening. I have a block heater cord that exited out that opening, but it was nothing to just move it down to the lower openings.

As for the upper grille...no, there isn't an insert. I think the radiator is by far the most vulnerable behind the middle grille opening (at least based on my experience). Even if an upper grille insert were available, it would probably be much more difficult to attach as an "add-on" behind the existing grille, and not as attractive as the existing Nissan grille if it were a swap (IMHO).
  • bigchillinbigchillin Member Posts: 4
    I have a black 02 LE. I waxed it last month using Meguiar's gold class clear coat car wax. The wax is great but I now have white smearing on all the black trim (eg. roof rack, door handles, window trim..) I was able to get rid of it (or I thought) by using Mother's "Back to Black" but it has since come back (it looks like it just covered over it rather than removed it.)

Does anyone know of any product that will remove old wax and restore the black appearance of the trim?
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Bigchillin

Honest to god.... I heard that peanut butter would fix wax residue on plastic trims.

Please try it on a very small hidden area first and see if it works for real.

This is not a joke. I read that on a serious car forum a while back, never tried it myself.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I installed my RS90116 rear shocks on my 2001 LE yesterday. I found one problem the bottom part of the shock fits on the lower mounting bolt without a metal sleve. I e-mailed 4x4 and they said to tighten the nut enough to squezze the rubber bushing and to use lock-tight to hold the nut in place. they do not supply a metal sleve for the lower mounting bolt. Has anyone else come across this when installing rear rancho shocks on 2001 and newer Pathfinders?

The shocks work fine and eliminate the bounce when going over road bumps and dips. The combination of air bags and rancho shocks have made a big difference in ride control and handling, no more bottoming out.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Does the bolt diameter match the inner diameter of the bushing? If it does, then no sleeve is required. If not, you'll need to use one of the metal sleeves that should have come with the shock. Either way, the bolt should not be loose within the shock bushing.

If no sleeve is used, you tighten the bolt enough to put moderate pressure on the bushing. Either way, you may need to insert additional spacers or washers between the shock bushing and the lower bracket so that the bolt can be tightened without bending the bracket.

I hope that helps...
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    The lower shock mounting bolt on my 2001 LE is wielded to lower shock bracket and is the same Dia. as the shock bushing. They are a perfect match. I was a little concerned about over tightening the 22MM nut and washer against the rubber bushing. Without the sleeve this is a possibility. But I also found out that there is a shoulder that limits the amount of travel the nut can go. So everything is tight and torqued properly.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Just looked at radiator on my new '03 LE with now 900 miles on it (after trip across state) and more tiny bent fins and tons of bugs and crap. I'm in and ordering a grill-tech today. The license plate bracket does not seem to be any problem based on your description and an inspection of mine. Thanks for the post! You should put a copy over on the Accessories board as well . . .

P.S. Thanks for the phone #s; still waiting on a return E-mail from that Canadian dealer you bought the exhaust tip at.

P.S.S. Anyone on this board have a preference between the draw-tite versus hidden-hitch class IIIs tube hitches? The former seems better rated but the latter has a step similar to the factory Nissan hitch. If the step is only useful for waxing the roof, couldn't you just similarly (and carefully) stand on the draw-tite's no-step receiver almost as easily? There's a hitch by Putnam that seems to have the best of both worlds, but I am not familar with that Brand. Any owners of Putnams?
    Here's some more information on the TSBs.

Temp display TSB affects all 1996-2002 PF built before 9/10/01 where the display reads "inaccurately, particularly 7-10 degrees F too high."

The fix is an improved temperature meter assembly. I'm somewhat surprised thinking it would involve the relocation of the sending unit.

The rear suspension TSB affects 2000-2001 2WD and 2000-2002 4WD.

The fix is the installation of revised (larger) bound bumpers in the rear springs.

I'll have more comments next week about the rear suspension after putting some miles on my "fixed" PF this weekend.

AW
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    That sure helps to know that my 2001 PF qualifies for the TSBs.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I stand on both the Nissan tube hitch (no step on mine) and the rear bumper. It's dangerous to stand on the hitch as it's slippery when wet. Standing on the bumper is fine for washing the roof at the rear. I stand on the "running boards" (2001 LE) to wash the rest of the roof.

BTW, a hint for others - avoid my mistake of using a heavy metal hose nossle (gun type). I dropped it on the hood once this summer and left a nice dent in the hood - right where I can see it when driving (to add insult to injury). Use a lightweight plastic nossle.
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    I had the same thing on all of my door handles from using Meguiars (although I think all waxes would do the same). Someone suggested I rub the handles with cooking oil before washing, and it worked like a charm. I just poured some Wesson oil onto a rag and wiped all of the handles off. Just don't do it on a hot day or your car will start to smell like a french fry :)
  • bigchillinbigchillin Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the cleaning tips. I've never heard of using oil or peanut butter to clean wax but it's worth a try.
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    Living as I do in an area where grasshoppers hit the front of a vehicle like bullets, I have always attached a piece of plastic screen with wire ties immediately behind the grill of my vehicles. Have never experienced a cooling problem and the screen also keeps the millions of bugs from plugging the rad, they just dry on the screen and are easily brushed or blown off.
  • ckonnickckonnick Member Posts: 5
    think it's time to replace orig Dueler tires at 30k miles. anyone else that low?

anyway, any recommendations for new tires??

thanks.
  • drbigzdrbigz Member Posts: 21
    Can I find the new QX4 wheels in 20 inches anywhere? I don't want just 17s. I might even settle for 18s or 19s. Are there any wheels that look similar. I love that 3 star look. Cost is really not much of an issue.
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Just decided on a 03 PF Chilkoot auto 4x4.The Canadian Chilkoot edition appears to be similar to the US SE version with the exception that it comes standard with the 150w Bose cd and the "allmode" 4x4 system. What really struck me was how much cheaper our Canadian vehicles are compared to the US(over $5K US in this instance).I know this has been discussed here before but it makes me wonder 1:How manufacturers can possibly justify this huge price difference between two close geographic areas? and 2:Why anyone in the US who lives within a day or two's drive of the border would buy in the US and get ripped off so badly? I know that some manufacturers (Honda for example)won't honour the warranty on their vehicles sold in Canada to US buyers(Even though they come from the same factory!)but many,including Nissan,do.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nissan-USA changed their policies a while back and they won't honour warranties on grey market cars any longer.

Steve, Host
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    My 98 came with Dunlops?? Just had them replaced to Duelers HT after 55K miles. Seems to be pretty good, and every PF has them. Not sure if one brand is that much better, all around the same price. Paid 100 apiece, plus alignment 50, balancing 30. $500 later, I got me some new timres.
  • pstppstp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Pathfinder,for 6 mos. virtually runs like a top. Was driving home 2km's from work yesterday, and heard a thunk, neutral grinds and park. Reverse won't work. I researched many vehicles before buying it and this one has nothing but fantastic reviews. My mechanic can't believe that this occurred. I only put 4,000 km's on it, and never abused it at all! Used the 4x4 once or twice on a dirt road; I'm so shocked and disappointed. I just put a tow bar on it in July to pull a 14 foot fishing boat (1000 lbs), 3 times to the ramp, 2 blocks away? I can't afford this repair! Please help, need suggestions!?
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    It's too bad (at least for US buyers)that Nissan USA has changed their policy on warranty for Nissans sold in Canada.I still wonder how they can possibly justify the huge price variation between the same vehicles sold in Canada and the US. If anything Canada has a reputation as being a MORE expensive place to do business than the US. Based on that you would think our prices would be higher not some 20%less then the US. Strange.....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've read similar problems with buying a car in the UK vs on the "continent" - the EU recently made some regulations to try to level the differences in car prices from country to country over there. link

Steve, Host
  • windfalls99windfalls99 Member Posts: 20
    I have just replaced my Duelers on my 2001 LE after 40,000KM (24,000 miles) with Michelin LTX M/S. There was not enough tread left to survive the winter. The Michelins are a beautiful tire, both quiet and smooth. Highly recommend!
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I recently replaced my Toyo's at 40,000. I went with Michelin LTX M/S. They ride nice and are quiet. They are a little more expensive, but they have a longer tread life.
  • albertlalbertl Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

My '98 Chilkoot developed a Tranny problem after 40,000 km.

Problem was that the input bearing failed - must've got a bad bearing.

Nissan fixed it under warranty, but the mechanic that worked on it put the synchro on backwards so I couldn't shift from 3rd to 4th, but can downshift to 4th.

Great car, but questionable work.. Sunridge Nissan.

I'm guessing your warranty's out?
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Have a '01 QX4 bought in June of '00 when they first were introduced...Tires at that time were the Michelin LTX M/S...Over 20k on tires and hardly any wear...Quiet...Now stock tires on QX4's are the Bridgestones...Money saving???
  • pstppstp Member Posts: 2
    Well, I talked to Nissan Canada, and they will not stand behind their product. They wouldn't give me the time of day. The tranny experts are telling me they've rebuilt quite a few Pathfinder tranny's lately even on the 1999 models due to radiator cooler failure, which in turn blows out the tranny over time..go figure. The cooler is made with plastic fins for God's sake, which melts over time!!!! I'm not too happy about this one!
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Does anyone know what the future holds for the Pathfinder? I've heard that the '04 will be the last year it's made. I know that's when the new full-size SUV is supposed to come out, but I find it hard to believe Nissan is actually going to stop making this great truck. I'd hate to think that when my lease expires in '05 that my Nissan truck choices will be either the less-refined Xterra or a full-size SUV - neither of which really appeal to me. Anyone else heard anything different?
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    There are two rumors floating around. One says the new full-size SUV will be named Pathfinder, so the name lives on, but the mid-sized one as we know it will be dropped. Second rumor says the big SUV will get a new name and current Pathy will be built until '04 or '06, then be moved to a BOF truck platform to be a true off-roader. Similar to Toy's 4runner/highlander, Nissan will have 2 entries (pathy/murano) in the mid-size SUV/CUV market.

If you don't hate the Murano's futuristic style, it will probably be a better fit than the others.