Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• tophtoph Member Posts: 1
    I bought some BFG 245/75/16 A/T for my pathy. if anyone is thinking about getting a slightly larger, more agressive tread tire, I highly recommend it. Works great in the mud :) Only gripe is that I lost about 1 mpg on the gas mileage.

anyone on here do any real 4x4ing in their late model pathfinder??? i need some nissan friends over at www.offroadworld.net. I'm the only nissan on the board. everyone else has ford f150's.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    I hate to pop your bubble but our Pathfinder HAS six (6) "tornados" installed!! One variable "tornado" (swirl valve) per cylinder. There are located just before the intake vales. Steve
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Don't mistake the Pathfinder's swirl valves for Tornados. The location of the swirling air in the intake system makes a big difference. The Tornado product swirls the air at the throttle body, not at the intake valve, so any swirl effect created by the tornado is mostly lost before the air enters the cylinder head.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    About 2 years ago on this forum there was much discussion about steering wheel shimmy in the 55-65 MPH range on '01 PF's. A TSB at that time suggested replacing the rack and pinion assembly, and my dealer did so, but the work did not make any difference. I gave up and learned to live with the shimmy as it happens only intermittently. I'm getting ready to replace the original Bridgestone Dueler tires, and I would like to permanently resolve the problem in conjuction with replacing the tires. I recall someone on this forum mentioning that a Hunter 9700 wheel balancing machine can solve the issue. Has anyone here suffered the shimmy problem, and been able to permanently resolve it? How? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Scroll back a bit - the topic comes up every ew weeks ...
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Hi,
    I just came home from buying a 2003 Pathfinder SE. (White Pearl, "popular package", Sunroof package, Micro filter, XM Satellite radio)
    The Dealer did mention that there is a redesign coming out in the spring of 2003. He gave the impression that it is meant to compete more directly with the newly redesigned Toyota 4Runner. (which IS really nice, but its base price is about what you'd pay for a fully loaded Pathfinder SE.)
    I would expect a fairly significant price increase.
    Couimet, I looked all the way back to post #5500 (late September) and can't find any posts regarding the shimmy problem. I do recall a lot of discussion about this issue, but most of it was 1 to 2 years ago. Anyway, I'm interested in finding out if others here have found permanent solutions to the shimmy problem. Also, has anyone tried the Hunter 9700 balancing machine? Did it permanently solve the problem? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you do an Advanced Search for "shimmy" and tick "Find messages in discussion Nissan Pathfinder," you'll wind up with a couple of pages of links to past posts about the issue. You can get there by clicking on the Advanced Search link on the left sidebar under the keyword search.

Steve, Host
    Thanks, Steve! I was not aware of the Advanced Search feature. It worked, and I found some posts from about 8 months ago that discussed exactly what I was looking for!
    It's new and a bit hidden and pretty fresh out of "beta." I'm not sure that the programmers are convinced that it'll scale up once everyone finds it, but in the meantime, enjoy :-)

Steve, Host
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    By the way, if anyone is interested, there is some small details and a "spy picture" of the new V8 powered Pathfinder redesign/replacement here.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    interesting..........
  • jaydzjaydz Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I just upgraded my tires from the OEM Bridgeston Duelers to the Michelin LTX/MS P255/65/R16. I'll be going up to ski resorts in the Reno, Lake Tahoe area more often this upcoming winter, and i wanted to ask the experts in this board what snow chains they recommend. I've asked a few of my friends who also have 4X4 trucks, and they said that as long you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you don't need snow chains. Not sure if they're right, so i was wondering if someone out there can give me some good advice. Thanks!!

• jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I have the same situation as I will go to Reno next week with my 02 QX4. Some friends say that with 4WD chain is not necessary, but my next door neighbor say sometimes on I-80 they won't let you go without chains, which is not about capability of the car but about the traffic regulation. I'll get chain anyway.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Visit the Caltrans website to get up-to-date road condition info.

If you enter 50,80 in the search box it will show you road restrictions. In most cases the restrictions are similar to this:

" CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW

TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 1.5 MI WEST OF KYBURZ TO MEYERS (EL DORADO CO)"

If you want to get a set of chains (or cables), it's unlikely you'll use them if you show the CHP officer you have M/S rated tires and 4WD.

• dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    The CHP shuts the road down long before you would need chains on a 4WD vehicle.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Thanks for the posts. By the way, I read there are various types of chains. Which type do you recommend using? Also QX4 manual (I believe Pathfinder too) says "Use onlt SAE Class S chains". If I don't load the truck too much will that be fine if the chain is not Class S rated?

Thanks again. Oh I found the frequency of posting in QX4 forum is much lower than Pathfinder so I'll post more here.
    Would anyone out there be able to email me a copy of the Nissan Service Bulletin on the above issue? My email is pmo755@optonline.net. Thanks in advance.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Two years ago when I bought my PF, I got myself an SCC chain. Start with this site and maybe you can get some ideas of what type of chain you should get...

I agree that it is always better to have a chain with you going up to Reno or Tahoe this time of the year...

http://www.vulcantire.com

Looks like it is as big as Sequioa. I hope not, although I do want a third row seat to replace my current PF.. The size of the lexus gx470 will be nice..

if as big as the sequioa - I am out
    if as big as the gx470 with 3rd seat - hmmm might be tempted to trade in by fall next year...
    As posted by Caltrans - (although I agree with deverespey "it's unlikely you'll use them if you show the CHP officer you have M/S rated tires and 4WD" - I honestly have not used the chains I got going up to Tahoe or Reno for the last two years!)

Chain Requirements
    R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.
    R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels
    R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions
    R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    My 01 SE was taken in for fix on thermometer showing too hot. I thought the fix involved the sensor in front of rad. Invoice reads "replace temp meter assembly per Bulletin NTB02-042". The sensor wasn't touched. Is this in line with those of you who have had this service?
  • walter12walter12 Member Posts: 30
    Filod, good call on chains. I went on the site you provided and found it very helpful. We just bought an 03 PF LE and don't think we will need chains going to Tahoe. However, we will feel better just being prepared. Again, thanks.
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    Yes.

I thought the same, but it involves replacing the display unit inside the car.

Seems more accurate now.

AW
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    My son had been going up to Tahoe in his '02 SE with no need for chains all last years ski season...
  • baydogbaydog Member Posts: 15
    The dealer recently sold me the 15208-65F00 oil filter. Last year, they sold me the 15208-9E000 filter, which is noticeably bigger. Does it matter? Did Nissan change their oil filter suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    bottoming out problem. Today I loaded some luggage in the cargo area and only two people(me and my friend) were in the vechile, and I could tell by seeing that the rear suspension was totally down with just two suitcases but wasn't sure if this was a problem. I couldn't believe it. The ride was very harsh too. Is this bottoming out problem or normal.
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    My 2001 LE bottoms out in the rear with just two passengers. Even the slightest dip in the road has the rear end hitting the hard rubber bump-stops. It's a bit annoying. I remember a thread like this a year or so ago and the conclusion was an air bag inside the coil springs. I'd like to think that a higher-rate spring would be a more graceful solution. Has Nissan addressed this?

Thanks!

Ron. . .
  • captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Hi,

I've got a 2001 LE 4x4 that came with the Toyo Tranpath 255/65R16 tires. I slashed one open doing some off-roading and the OEM Tranpath is no longer available. Does anyone out there have either a used one with about 50-75% tread left or the unused spare they want to part with? I'll pay a reasonable price + shipping to get the match for what I have.

Alternatively, do you know of a source for that OEM tire? NOS maybe?

You can either reply here or e-mail me directly at: ron.chase@internetmachines.com

Thanks!!!

Ron. . .
    Please, no buying and selling on Town Hall.

I've purchased used tires and rims at used tire dealers before - the only problem is trying to find the size especially if the warehouse isn't well organized. Even worse would be trying to match the brand as well. But sometimes the owner will know the stock so well that they'll surprise you.

You may try a salvage yard, but a tire off a wrecked vehicle would be highly suspect.

Steve, Host
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    During the past two days I had a plenty of chances to test out the 4WD capabilities of the Pathfinder. I was pretty impressed, despite the crappy Dueler's the truck is shod with. I have a 2002 LE and the truck performed admirably. On christmas day I drove on an unplowed highway in a snowstorm (which followed an ice storm). I easily kept pace (30-40) with the idiots who were out driving like me and it felt pretty surefooted. Yesterday I came home to 21 inches of snow and a bunch of unplowed streets. Even in 4-LO it was sliding around a little but I was able to power around all the people who were stuck digging out their cars and spinning their tires.

I definately have to say that I LOVE 4WD. I've always driven FWD and boy, what a difference!
  • s4chicagos4chicago Member Posts: 3
    I live in Chicago and would like to move to a 100% Synthetic Oil. Can anyone help me with the correct weight/viscosity?

I just happened to be in Florida right now with the pathy and the idiotic dealer here has no idea what I should be using in the colder weather.

Thanks in advance.....
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Use the advanced search feature and you will find all the discussion you want on the bottoming out question. I think that issue, and the temperature display problem, were the only two "major" (if you can even call them that) TSBs on the '01s that were carried over to the '02s as well. The www.nhtsa.gov website has lists of all the applicable TSBs if you want to take in for the fixes on these two issues (again, do your homework and search through the past discussions first - very helpful.) I considered these very minor and was thinking about buying an '02 anyway - but the dealer had a black-on-black '03 straight off the truck for basically the same price, so I happened to get an '03 LE. So far, none of those TSBs have been carried over to the '03s (just the universal no-big-deal ones). So far so good: temp display has remained accurate and with four 200 lb. guys in mine, there was no "bottoming out" per se in the rear over speed bumps, etc. - but it was still "rough" of course, nothing close to a Lincoln Towncar! :>
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    I'll have the chance this weekend to try out my Pathfinder 03 LE with the cargo area fully loaded. We are going to the cottage to spend a couple of days there and we need to bring a lot of stuff (luggage, food, misc items) and I expect to top off the cargo area.

I'm looking forward to test this ottoming out issue. I hope it won't happen, I would be disappointed because in the summer I would add another 300lbs on the hitch for the trailer and boat.

If I have problems I plan to install airlifts next spring to solve this problem and level the truck when I'll have the boat attached.

Look for my impressions next weekend !!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I use 10w30 in my QX4. I think 5W30 was also be acceptable especially in Chicago with as much cold weather as you have.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Use 5w30, your Pathfinder will really appreciate thin oil on those cold Chicago mornings.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I had an appointment to take care of the bottoming out issue with the dealer who is aware of the TSB. Unfortunately, the part has been on backorder with Nissan since before thanksgiving. They can give no information as to availability which makes me wonder if Nissan has pulled back on the fix.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I too (2001 LE) experienced the exact same symtoms your PF is demonstrating. . Last month while getting the oil changed, I gave the TBS regarding the suspension to my local Nissan service advisor and explained to him I had this problem. The parts were ordered and installed. What a difference! no bottoming out on dips or potholes in the road. I also had the temp display issue resolved too. TSB :sb633673 addresses the bottoming out issue. TSB:632155 addresses the temp display issue.
  • s4chicagos4chicago Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much to both for your replies. I'll go with the 5W30 synthetic.
  • insur_suvsinsur_suvs Member Posts: 19
    I've been reading the posts in this forum for a few months now, just want to say you guys are a great source for information. I now would like a few opinions on the Pathfinder. Would you say this is a long term quality vehicle (I know a 4Runner is)? I plan to keep the truck for at least 10 years. The reason I ask this is I need to make a final decision between a Pathy and a 4Runner. What is stopping me with the 4Runner (like many of you who chose the Pathy instead) is the pricing (not as much bang for the buck). Toyota dealers here in Miami are not known to deal, but Nissan dealers are willing to play ball (and there is attractive financing right now). My concerns about the Pathfinder are long term quality. Also, from what you guys have posted, the fuel economy is really bad (worse than the Runner's V8 mileage per posts in the 4Runner forum). Lastly, the ground clearance on the Pathy seems low (about the same as a CR-V). Do both the SE and LE 4X2's have the same ground clearance? I would be getting an SE, even though the LE seems to look higher (by the way, do the 97-99 Pathys have the same clearance as the current model? They seem higher). One last question, those of you who have purchased in the last few weeks, did you get the truck for a lower price than TMV? I will deeply appreciate your comments and advice!
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I believe the vehicle will be outstanding over the long term in terms of quality, reliability, and durability. The issues I have with my 2002 LE would be the fuel economy and the limited utility in terms of load capacity (small back storage area and still living with the bottoming out issue). If one is looking for this as a true SUV for utility, there are better choices out there and the 4-Runner would most likely be a good choice.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    My husband recently had a '93 Pathfinder, he loved it, still looked great, and ran great. But thanks to his wife (that would be me..LOL!) I convinced him into selling it, as it was 9 years old, and he considered a new 4Runner, but it just did not compare to the Path. He of course, went with a new Path LE. And he couldn't be happier. He had a very happy life with his '93, he ended up getting $5,000 for it, and sold it in ONE day! Guess he asked too little for it. But it wasn't as safe (no airbags), and did not have all the creature comforts as the new ones do.

I just don't see how anyone could go wrong with a Nissan.

P.S. I'm on my 4th Maxima!
  • pattonaspattonas Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for opinion's on using the (Auto 4WD & 4WD HI) when driving over 50MPH. I used to drive my old 2000 PF LE in 4WD HI over 50MPH without any problems even though i said not to in the manual.

The manual says the same thing on the 2002. Has anyone had any problems with the newer PF's?
  • pf03bobpf03bob Member Posts: 3
    We purchased an '03 PF LE 2WD earlier this month and came close to the TMV at Edmunds. So find a PF with color/options you want and use Edmunds TMV as your guide and deduct $1000 for the incentive.
    Initial fuel check came in at 17 mpg.Remember to remove the lead from your foot before driving. It is difficult to do with this engine!
    The only knock we have on the vehicle is the lack of rear seat leg room. I've had no problems with it bottoming out with 2 adults and 2 teenagers.
    Like you, we plan on keeping the car 10+yrs. After 600+ miles,no problems. At this price level,we do not expect any problems.This isn't a Ford. We currently own 2 Mercury's and all I can say if quality is job 1 at Ford, I'd hate to see what job 2 is!
    A friend purchased an '02 4wd 4runner ltd. I think my 2wd PF is a far better value with a savings of almost $10g's.
    Good luck!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    the 4Runner to my QX4 when I bought it in January. The main reason I chose the QX4 over the 4Runner is because I perceived the 4Runner to be underpowered. If the '02 4Runner had the engine choices that the '03 model has, I would probably own a 4Runner right now. Now that I own an Infiniti, the service you get there will also factor into my next purchase. You get treated like a real human being there unlike most types of dealerships. I see the only drawback of the '03 4Runner is the plastic cladding. If it had a 3rd row of seats, it would again sway me heavily towards it. My wife misses a 3rd row of seats so much that we have jokingly talked about trading the QX4 back in on a Sequoia. The cost is just prohibitive.

The reliability of the Pathfinder or QX4 should not be in question. I expect mine to last 250-300 K miles especially with the synthetic oil I use.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    same with me. a few weeks before thanksgiving I took it in for the bottoming out TSB and they had only half the parts in, still I have not heard anything back from the dealership.

On another note, I'm over 7,000 miles now, and only 1 oil change so far. I'm going with the 3750 per the manual and my dealership. (I went in a little bit early for the first, and my sticker says 7,050 for the next...) I haven't called them yet to make an appointment for a Oil change, and I'm pretty sure when I call first thing tommorow they will give me a date a week out at least.

Anyone know how long it really takes them to do an oil change?

Anyway I haven't driven it in over a week, missed a snow storm, but what the heck, it was 80 and sunny where I was :-)
  • wit61wit61 Member Posts: 1
    I tried searching, but only found sporadic information on towing with the PF. I have a 2001 LE and I will now be periodically towing a 2000 lb car (albeit over several hundred miles each time). I've seen mention of the bottoming out issue when towing. Anyone been problem free while towing ? Any 'strongly suggested' mods ?

TIA
    Sounds like you are considering the same issues I recently did when I decided in October to buy '03 LE over a possibly supercharged '02 3rdGen Runner and the new '03 Plastic Runner. Believe it or not, I think I have already given my 2 cents on each of these issues you raise. To recap (you may want to read back):

"Would you say this is a long term quality vehicle (I know a 4Runner is)? I plan to keep the truck for at least 10 years." Absolutely. I plan to keep a long time too so reliability is #1. I posted a while back about Consumer Reports long term reliability being reported as equally superb between Runner and Pathfinder.

"What is stopping me with the 4Runner (like many of you who chose the Pathy instead) is the pricing (not as much bang for the buck)." Very important. I posted a ways back about the opportunity costs of paying 4-5k more for the Runner; along with another post about the two vehicles (for many people, not ALL) serving their needs similarly.

"Also, from what you guys have posted, the fuel economy is really bad (worse than the Runner's V8 mileage per posts in the 4Runner forum)." I have been following people's feedback on the new Runner as well, and at best, that vehicle is reportedly getting only 1 MPG at most more. Like here, everyone has different results. I basically get 14 MPG in CTY driving and that's about the same 13-15 MPG range posted over there I think. I'd call it a draw (or at least too close to base a whole decision on IMHO).

"Lastly, the ground clearance on the Pathy seems low (about the same as a CR-V). Do both the SE and LE 4X2's have the same ground clearance? I would be getting an SE, even though the LE seems to look higher." Recently posted on this (in the context of 4WDs; not sure about 2WD models). Dropping a tape from the pumpkin to the ground on the '03 LE and new '03 Runner (to get the 4WD minimum running ground clearance), I don't think there is too much of a difference to affect your comparison calculus. Now, compared to the '02 Runner clearance (which I always preferred), it would be a factor. On the SE vs. LE (again, 4WD models), I think the SE comes with 16" wheels, while the LE has 17" wheels, which explains the main difference.

"One last question, those of you who have purchased in the last few weeks, did you get the truck for a lower price than TMV?" Posted a while Back on this. In October, I bought in CAT region an '03 LE with mats, microfilter, side molding and DCP for: actual Edmunds invoice cost (which of course includes destination) + $400 marketing fee - $1000 rebate - $400 dealer discount (Internet Dept. purchase). So, basically $1K under invoice, which was basically $31K before T/T/T. Good price? Not many commented after my post, but seemed fair to me, as Dealer kept all his holdback % because just off truck. I don't know what Edmunds TMV is now, but often found it $1-2K too high. I got 3.9% over 5 years, but now you can get 0.9% over 5 years. I did not have to negotiate any of this; the Internet Dept. at VOB Nissan in MD just shot me the straightforward offer after a mass E-mail inquiry. [B/T/W, they were the ONLY one to do so with a no-games one price only from the get-go; all the others responded with the usual "call us, we got a special" stuff.] Hope this helps.
    P.S. when I say I posted back, I want to clarify that the posts were either here or on the Problems/Solutions board - there were also some good exchanges on the Accessories Board with WT, who also bought an '03 after our 2-year wait ended in the 4Runner fiasco. Basically, anything from September to the present on these 3 boards is fair game and may help other folks going through the same situation. In you are as insane as I am and read EVERYTHING before making a decision (yes, our strengths are our weaknesses . . .), you can read back to the days on the Runner boards from, say, mid-summer spy shot releases to end of October - there you will see WT and I posting the "cognitive dissonance" of a process that ended up in our ultimate defection from Toyota, for good reason. The Pathfinder was always my Plan B - and could easily have been Plan A in retrospect.
  • rowjimeerowjimee Member Posts: 8
    Pattonas - I went through this a couple of months ago on my new '02 LE. I noticed a subtle fluttering noise (sounded like a muffler noise) when I drove in Auto over 50-60 mph (just loud enough to annoy me). Since the car was brand new, I took it back to the dealer, and once they finally admitted to hearing the noise, determined that it went away when in 2wd. They circled in my owners manual where it says not to drive over 50mph in 4HI. Not satisfied with that, I called Nissan's customer service people, and their technicians told me that they do not recommend driving over 60mph in Auto, and that the fluttering noise I heard was the axle being overworked or something like that. I'm still not convinced since it doesn't say anywhere in the manual about speed restrictions in Auto mode, and the Nissan people would only note it in the computer file they keep on each customer (I asked for a letter with their official stance on the matter). Whatever, I keep it in 2wd under 60, and only switch it when weather conditions permit. Most other people in these chat rooms will swear that Auto is meant for all speeds. For me, since the truck runs great otherwise and I rarely hear that noise anymore, all I had to hear was that driving over 60 in auto might do damage to the transfer case, and I'm sticking with 2wd for most of my NYC/Long Island/Westchester driving. Hope that helps.