Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I found some & when I get home I'll post the web site. They're Japanese made if I remember correctly.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The stock Nissan rotors seem prone to early warpage, and with the 18" wheels (and the associated unsprung mass) I'm running they are already slightly warped in less than 20,000 miles. I'd rather replace the rotors with quality aftermarket than turn them.
    Hey Phil47, if you're at 20,000 miles the rotors will be covered under warranty. Pathfinders are definitely prone to early rotor warpage, as are many other vehicles these days. I took mine in at 15,000 & they were out of spec for turning so they replaced them. At 33,000 miles I'm about to take mine in for another set (right before the warranty runs out). When these go bad I'm going to replace mine with a decent set. Anyway, the only performance rotors I've found for the 2001 & up PF is at:
    http://www.brakewarehouse.net/
    They are Akuta (Japanese) & I was quoted an e-mail price of $129 each.
  • hw88hw88 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2001 Pathfinder SE for 29 months before my in-dash 6-disc CD changer failed with the infamous "Err2" error. I am not able to play or eject any of the CD's. I have been using CD-R's without any problems until I tried a new brand. The dealer says they will have to order a re-manufactured replacement. I hope the replacement doesn't produce other problems, since the unit is built from used parts. Has anyone had any problems with the re-manufactured replacement for the Bose stereo and in-dash 6-disc CD changer?
  • wcl22wcl22 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2001 Pathfinder. The dealer replaced my CD Changer last August and I have not experienced any problems yet. It took a month for the CD Changer to arrive and another month to receive the CDs that were stuck in my original CD changer (dealer must ship entire unit back to Nissan and have them remove the CDs). So a grand total of two months without my CD changer. FYI...all the CDs in my CD changer were CD-Rs as well. Good luck! :)
  • hw88hw88 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. The dealer replaced my CD changer today with the re-manufactured one. It seems to be working okay so far. But in the process, they cracked the plastic screen on dashboard clock display. They ordered the part and I have to go back next week. They also said I should get my CDs returned back to me in about a month.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Does anyone know what is performed on the rear suspension TSB? Am I correct that the rubber bumper inside the coil spring is what they are replacing. My parts are in and my 01 LE is going in Thurs. for installation. I'm hoping this solves my bottoming out problem when towing my boat. My new boat is about 4200lbs dry with a tongue weight around 320lbs (tandem trailer w/ brakes) and I'm towing it to Florida in two weeks. After this trip I'll know for sure or not if more mods (timbren overloads) will be required. I am fully aware of the rigors of towing and the dangers of over loading. GVW of boat and trailer on a public scale was 8400lbs (Pathfinder full fuel, boat empty) my 2 girls are small (4yrs and 1). With wife and kids we'll have a max of 400lbs, we are packing light so we should be able to stay under the GVWR of 9500lbs. Hopefully we'll make it there and back in one piece.
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    The OE tires on my 01 LE were Dunlop Grandtrek (SR) the vehicle is highway driven ie 65MPH all the time with light load. The tires were rotated every 4000 miles and the pressure set at the recommended 26 PSI and were replaced with Mich. Cross Terrain that were inflated to 30 PSI at 32,000 miles
    Results: Starting at 10/32nd the Dunlops when removed showed 7/32nd in the center and 3/32nd on the outsides. The Michelins again starting at 10/32nd after 9,300 miles sofar show 7/32nd in the center and 8/32nd on the outsides. I prefer the Michelins they just 'feel' better. The tire pressure has been dropped to 28 PSI which may be the optimum pressure in my case.
  • yipikyayipikya Member Posts: 5
    For those of you that have had the new spacers put in the rear springs for more support, is this something that you have had to pay for or should the dealership cover this fix? Just curious as I know I will be pulling a trailer this summer and don't want to find out at the last minute that my '02 LE is going to be bottoming out the whole way. Thanks for any help.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Thanks for the reply on the trailer wiring, it was helpful.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Just curious if anyone here has added satellite radio to their PF?

I think I'm going to add a SIRIUS system this weekend (I have a panasonic FM Modulator setup on order) and was wanting to hear any comments you guys might have.

For anyone who has done any additions to the Bose sytem in a 2001 (or 02, 03) - can anyone tell me if there is any AUXILARY INPUTS on the Bose/Clarion head unit?

I would assume that the 6 disc in dash cd changer uses a set of auxilary inputs - hopefully there is a 2nd set of inputs somewhere - this will make it easier to connect - not to mention the better sound versus the fm modulator route.

Thnaks for any help!
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Just in case you are looking to justify the money for the official shop manual, I'll chime in. I have the 2001 Pathfinder manual on CD. I think it's excellent. It's over 2500 pages and I've yet to find anything missing that I've looked for. It's a collection of .pdf files with and index, and you can print whatever you want (or all of it!).

Do I wish it was half that price? Sure. But I don't mind working on vehicles and at today's shop rates I know it will pay off eventually.

Jon
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I just hand the rear suspension TSB performed on my 01 LE. I hooked up the boat and initial squat seems about the same as before, but it definitely is not bottoming out like it did previously.
  • boatman7boatman7 Member Posts: 7
    Well I did it, bought a se PF, came with TOYO A12's. So my question is: we are expecting 6" of snow today, what am I to expect driving around with these factory dogs? Are they any good in snow? What is a good replacement tire in 255/65/16? I'm actually thinking 245/70/16 BS revo's which I had on my last 4x4 suv. GREAT TIRE! But BS doesn't make it in 255/65. Thanks for any help. FTP
  • heyjude69heyjude69 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Someone scraped up my rear bumper and I need to get a new bumper cover. The problem is I am trying to get the right color.

I have a 2001 SE Black Pathfinder with Titanium Bumpers. I checked ebay and a few other websites but I didn't see anything stating the color. Anyone know where I could look on the web or is it just easier to have the dealer order me the part with right color?

Thanks
  • specfoure4specfoure4 Member Posts: 1
    I was hit twice in over one year on my front bumper on my 01 SE once a red light runner the next a geo metro rolled across my work parking lot and cracked itBoth times the body shop got the part i belive it comes black plastic and they had to paint it the SE color that gray silver.The body shop kept it over night because they have to use flex paint so it can dry and also to get a good match before reinstalling the front bumper .
    hey fellas!

Previously owned a 2001 PF LE and I simply loved it - loved it sooo much that I decided to give myself an early birthday present this year - a 2003 PF LE

Got a real good deal (just UNDER Invoice) and got what I wanted in Trade on my 2001 - so I said why not. The Internet salesman that I dealt with was awesome! He needed one more sale for the Month of March and he pretty much did everything he could to make me the last one - I came in with a price I was willing to pay and he beat it - so I can't complain.

Went from a 2001 Sierra Silver LE to a 2003 Polished Pewter LE and I'm really happy to continue to call myself a PF owner!

I pick it up in the morning - and I probably won't be able to sleep tonight now :)

I was originally going to wait for the Armada - but decided that I probably didn't need all that extra space and seating that it will offer (when available) and I'm quite happy with the PF the way it is now.

Just wanted to share my thoughts....
    Is there a "Limited Slip" option on the 2003 PF LE's?

Or is the feature built in to the PF standard now? Or is it done away with completely?

Just curious - I didn't see it on the edmunds "price with options" as a choice - and the dealer wasn't sure either.

Thanks
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I'm a little curious, what made you trade in your 2001 LE for a 2003 LE? There is no real difference in vehicles that I am aware of.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    The Canadian Pathfinder models have offered limited slip as standard equipment on the 3 models lines for the past few years. I note that the 2003 LE model does not offer limited slip, according to the product brochure. The SE comes with limited slip, traction control and other features. It may be worth a call to Nissan to see if the omission of limited slip on the LE was an typo.
  • heyjude69heyjude69 Member Posts: 2
    JIAMIN and SPECFOUR thanks for the info on the bumpers.

I hate seeing those scrapes and cuts on the bumper. I have to make a decision about what I am going to do.
    I know it's pretty much the exact same vehicle - and to be honest - that's why I wanted it again. I am very happy with the way the PF looks, runs, and performs...

I looked at the new 4Runners, the Murano, Explorer Sport Trac, Frontier, and even considered a Maxima (for better fuel mileage).

I didn't owe much on my 2001 PF LE at all - I put a HUGE down payment on it when I bought it back in December of 2000.

It was just about to go out of warranty (just under 36k miles) - it also needed new tires (well, eventually, probably in the next year anyway). It also had a couple interior problems/defects (tear in the leather on one of the seats) and numerous scratches that always bugged me.

But, the main reason I traded in a 2001 for a 2003 is this:

I refinanced my original loan on the 2001 PF a few months ago. My wife and I had some major credit card debt and a couple other loans that we were paying high interest on and we decided to take the equity out on the Pathfinder and refinance for what we owed in other debts and what little we owed on the PF.

Thus making it seem like we only owed on a brand new vehicle (that was 2 years old) and no longer were paying 16-20% APR on the other debts.

This made our payments jump quite a bit (of course) and then I started to realize that I could get a brand new truck for pretty much what we were paying on the 2001.

The orginal loan amount was 6.5%, when I refinanced I got it down to 5.75%, and then on my 2003 (that I pick up in a couple hours( - my % rate (from Nissan) is 3.9% (+ $1000 rebate).

So, I have nearly cute my rate in half (not quite - but close) and this helped in making the decision to do what I did as well.

I am probably crazy - but I am happy with my decision and the finacial issue is exactly the same (as far as I am concerned) and I get a new car out of the deal.

I can't wait to get my Polished Pewter baby home today.

Note: I'l do some more checking on the Limited Slip issue also.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Payments cut in half? I am guessing that you refinanced your CC debt for about a $25K loan on the 2001. That would probably be about as much as a CU would allow you. Then, 48 months is as long as they go on a loan. That would make your payments $584/month. Then trading for the 2003 (I am assuming you traded at the dealer.) you would get about $16k meaning you were upside down. $9K then had to be added to the ~$28K price of a 2003 making it $37K - the $1000 rebate is $36K. $36K at 3.9% for 60 months is $661/month. Then you also have an extra year to pay on it. What figures do I have wrong here that allowed you to cut your payments in half? A $300/mo payment on a 2003 Pathy LE?
    I said I cut my APR (Annual Percentage Rate) nearly in half...

The payments went up - a little - not too much at all really (about $78) and the loan term is 60 months (versus 48 on the previous loan).

Sure, I'm paying more for the vehicle (2003) than I was for the 2001, but I like my situation.

16K for trade in?? I never said that either....

Try $21K ($20k actual vehicle - $1k for the additional options/accessories that I installed myself, you name it, it was on my 2001 LE).

I also got the Nissan extended warranty (60 thousand miles) and I was able to negotiate the price of the warranty from $1095.00 to $795.00, and included it in the finacing as well.

No document fees, etc paid to the dealer either. Oh - and I was able to get a free Front Bug deflector this morning when I went in to pick it up because it wasn't ready when I told them I would be there - I didn't even ask - they asked me...it was installed and everything for free within 30 minutes.

Overall - very happy with the 2003, so far.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    you had just taken on an additional $11K in debt even when you take the credit cards into account albeit at a lower interest rate. Enjoy your ride.
    I understand - as I'm not not trying or intending to mislead anyone here...

I'm a numbers guy - and I understand what you are saying.

When I bought the 2001 LE -I emailed about 30 different dealers in the Baltimore, MD area - telling them exactly what I wanted on it, what color, and exactly what I would pay (out the door). 29 dealers said "No way", but 1 dealer (Tischer Acura/Nissan) replied back saying "We have it - and we can do the price, when will you be in?" I purchased the next day.

With this loan/deal, I simply feel better having a warranty for the next 5 years while I'm making such a large payment anyway.

If I would have kept the 2001 PF - I wouldn't have had a warranty here in a month or so....and I would have needed a new set of tires soon.

That's about $2k there - that I don't have to put into the new 2003 PF now...and what happen if I need some major work done on the 2001 PF (not likely, but it could happen)..I would have to pay for that out of my own pocket. I didn't like that idea at all - especially since it seemed I was paying for a 2003 anyway.

Sure, my situation was not an ideal one to be in (believe me!) - but I like things better this way now with the 2003. And the CC's have been cancelled and I will never have more than 1 CC for our family, and it is being paid in full monthly, and will be from here on out.

I'm also in the military and I'm trying to enjoy my life more nowadays...I just returned from a deployment to Kuwait this past fall...and I'm next in line to go again here soon (from where I'm stationed at McChord AFB in WA St.). So, I have decided to live a little and enjoy life in my new PF :)

Thanks for your comments and have a good week!
  • c182skylanec182skylane Member Posts: 64
    what kind of options and accessories did you install on your 2001 LE? i'm just curious what kinds of things you can do to these trucks....

btw, I opted for the Traction Control on my 2003LE making the lack of a limited-slip differential a moot point.

i'm coming up on 2000 miles with no problems. I'll admit that the V6 in my Accord is much smoother than the Nissan 3.5L.
    I noticed this morning that there is a very small puddle of coolant on the garage floor under my 2001 LE (20,000 miles). The rad is full but the reserve is empty. Seems to be near the middle/rear of the engine. Nothing obvious from the top...I'm taking it in to the dealer next week. Anybody have a similar problem? What was the cause? Thanks.
  • schleppschlepp Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone,
    I have just tipped the 10,000mi mark on my '03-LE. Thought some of you may be interested in my ownership experience. I am happy to say that I have had no problems thus far. I have taken the vehicle cross country, over mountain passes several times, through several snow storms, dirt/ice/ and snow covered back roads and mild 4 wheeling. The PF has performed well in all conditions. Can't wait to hit the mountains this spring, summer, and fall for flyfishing trips. I have averaged 18-20mpg using 85-87 octane. I drive a Jeep Cherokee and Blazer at work, used to have an Explorer. The PF out performs them all in ride quality, comfort, and overall quality.
    Suggested improvements: Improved gas mileage, more leg room in back seat, better turn radius, standard skid plates.
    By far the best vehicle I have owned. Would love to hear from others...
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hello M99

Are you getting anywhere close to Schlepp's MPG scores?

I'm a long way from 18-20 MPG (after 3500 miles) as I'm still averaging around 12-14 MPG even when doing some highway driving.

I'm getting concerned...
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    Hey phil47,
    I had a similar leak on my 01LE about 6 months ago. Found out it came from a small (1/2"?) hose on the driver's side engine compartment. If memory serves, I think it connected to the manifold. I could see the hose but couldn't see the leak (it was very small but the smell was very distinctive after a long drive). I found out by reaching around the bottom of the hose near the clamp. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the hose in a couple of hours-under warranty. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Schlepp, out of curiosity.. is your MPG based on the US MPG or the canadian MPG. I know there is a difference between the two based on the size of the gallon.

As well in what region are you using your truck, was that MPG calculated in sub 40's temperature?

Thanks
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    For the Pathfinder, skidplates are not standard??
    I'll direct the dealer to look there...I hope it's as innocent a problem as that!
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Does the 2002 Pathfinder have the LATCH baby seat system?

TIA
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Still getting about the same mileage as previous posts on Problems & Solutions. About 6000 miles on vehicle now. Haven't done much HWY driving since that last trip report where I was satisfied with the 19+ MPG. Still, on my CTY driving, I am getting ~14 MPG (US gallons) in mostly 2WD mode with 30 PSI tires and 93 octane gas (not sure if they used winter formulations of gas here in DC). Once we get fully into spring and I can be sure we have warm weather gas at all the stations, I will update these figures if I notice an increase in MPG. Again, I do a lot of "fun & gun" driving and have so far been OK with the 14 MPG given the 15 MPG CTY rating. But to address your concern, I think the MPG has been more-or-less the same since Day 1: no real increase (or decrease) as the engine has broken in.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    On our '01 SE 5-spd, we have std skidplates. I am pretty sure they are still on them. There is a plastic one up front that is only for air movement and can't really be called a skidplate, and another larger-pretty sturdy one that covers the fuel tank area.

The only one I still want to add is the one that bolts onto and protects the T-case area.
  • schleppschlepp Member Posts: 7
    World traveler, I am using the US mpg and these have been taken in all types of temps. I live in CO and drive up to the high country often.

FYI, the way I calculate: I reset the trip odometer after each fillup. I divide the mileage driven b/w fillups by # gallons needed to fillup. I take the average of about 5-10 fillups. If anyone has a better system please let me know.

Also, when I drove x-country I noticed a big difference in mpg. I was getting anywhere from 14-19mpg with <5000miles on the PF, the lowest being the city driving. I drove it to NYC a week after I purchased it. Overall average was 18.5mpg for the trip. I noticed a little better milage after about 7000mi or so.

Hope this helps...

Oh yeah, one more suggested improvement: wind shield wiper defrosters. Mine have frozen up during some storms.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    My 02 SE has only 6500 miles on it, and I live in MN. It happend 3 or 4 times this past winter that the engine failed to start on the first try, although it was able to start on the second. And once I had to turn and hold the key for 5 seconds or so to get it started. Since this doesn't happen often, I doubt that the service guy can reproduce it if I go for a checkup. Has anyone had similar experience? Thanks.
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I have noticed something similar to your problem. My 02 SE has 11,000 miles on it. Once in a while when I start it, it starts up, but instead of jumping up to the usual 1-2k rpm, it starts up at around 200 rpm, then slowly (a second or two) gets to the normal rpm range. This only has happened 5-10 times total. I have not taken it to the dealership since it is so sporadic (and the idea of them sitting there turning it on and off until it happens turns me off). It's been random, and even did this within the few months after I got it.

Regarding MPG, on my last few tanks I've averaged 16-18 MPG. I took a trip to DC, and got a little bit more than 20 MPG there and back. Around town (daily commute) which is a mix of city/highway (traffic on highway) I have managed to get 16-18 MPG.

A question of my own, I'm "due" for an oil/filter change (been around 3750 miles since last change) and I'm thinking of getting a "service" done to the car. I've had 2 oil changes so far and rotated tires once, but none of the regular service done. Any idea what should be done? I believe the dealerships have service intervals of 7,500 & 15,000 miles, and I'm right in the middle. Anything important I should have them do?

When I go back I'm also going to have them look at the steering, I had an alignment done to them last time I took it in because they said it was off (no charge to me) and it went off again shortly thereafter. I'm not sure what kind of harmful wear I'm getting on my tires because of this, but maybe I can press for new tires if they are feathering (well 350z owners managed to get this :-)

Hopefully they still have the new bump stops they ordered for me back in December and can put those in. Anything I'm missing? Just a slight vibration at 60-70 MPH in the steering.

Don't be mistaken, I am a happy owner, just a few little bugs.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I've had this happen about a half-dozen times myself, only when it is wet outside and the PF is cold. It's an '01 LE.
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    Your comments made me feel better. But on the other hand I wonder if this is a known problem to Nissan. For a new car, it shouldn't be this way, at least my Camry doesn't have this problem. It certainly happens very rarely and only in very cold weather, but as time goes on, will this become a serious problem?
  • mahipalcmahipalc Member Posts: 20
    Hi guys,

I am in a big dilemma. I am looking at two vehicles here a 02'PF LE and a 01 QX4. Both have the same features, colors an options. Silver on black leather, heated seats. PF has memory seats in addition. PF has 9000 miles and the negotiated price is $24,000. QX4 is from Carmax, it has 26000 miles and the price is $26,400. I can't decide which one to go for. I have done a lot of research on these vehicles(atleast I think I have) and like both of them. The 60,000 mile warranty and better customer service are making me think more about QX4 and at the same time I see absolutely no fault with the PF either.

Please help me out and share your thoughts. Its getting really hard to decide, I'd really appreciate your help and comments.

Thanks,
    Mahipal
  • mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    airman72, was the problem in which I described the same problem you experience or is it something different?

mahipalc, that does seem like a hard decision. The QX4 also comes with HID lights. The leather is of higher quality I believe in the QX4 as well. Do the higher miles of the Qx4 bother you? I can't really help you with this decision, although if it was a 2002 QX4 with lower miles versus the 2002 PF LE I would probably go with the QX4.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I know 01 QX4 heated seats are both front and rear. Is 02 PF only front seats?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I have been hearing this popping noise for a while, I believe it's coming somewhere from exhaust system. What I found was when I tap the tow hitch or side of rear bumper it makes the same poping noise. Does anyone have similar problem. Dealer can't fix it and it's annoying me a lot, so would be great to hear from some you who has the same problem.
    I've finally finished all of the 30,000 mile maintenance. I also drained the transmission, transfer case, oil, front differential, & rear differential & switched to Mobil 1. I was only expecting to get a few quarts of the total 9 quarts in the transmission (because the rest stays in the torque converter), but I actually got 5 quarts out. I did everything myself except for repacking the front wheel bearings. This cost me $260 to have someone do, but he did say the grease was starting to liquify. All in all, nothing too hard.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I started having some trouble with the auto-mode 4wd after the 30K mi service. In auto-mode it was acting like it was in 4H and binding the steeting wheel during parking lot manuvering. One of the trouble shooting fixes the dealer tried was "clocking" the front differential, meaning the pulled it out and flipped it 180 degrees. That didn't help any though. Now they are going to replace the t-case. Anyone else had to go thru this?
    Did the dash display indicate the center diff was locked (yellow light) while in AWD and exhibiting the problem?