Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    fleetwoodsimca - Pep boys had 4 colors for Nissan and none was mine (silver metallic). But I'll check with NAPA (have one near me) and others.

Steve - thanks for the link! I tried googling but came up with squat...that site has my color in a spray for $30 (yikes!). If I can't get it cheaper, I'll get it there. At least now I know I can get it. Let's see...ideas for towing cross country, touch up paint...your KK account is getting full :-)

Pathstar1 - do you mean a Sherwin Williams type of store? They could actually match a car paint code? That's interesting...I'll try it. Probably be in that $30 range, though, I would guess...

Thanks for the help guys...I'll let you know how it goes.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Hi, I would also recommend Cooper tires. I put a set of Courser AT's (Cooper's "Mastercraft" product line) on my 97 Cherokee last year. Absolutely one of the best tires I've put on a truck. I had several of different tires on a full size Bronco as well as on the Cherokee. The Coursers blew all of them away -- especially for the price! I recommended them to a friend with a Chevy Surburban that's used for plowing and he loved them too.
    Now that I have an '03 Pathfinder (the Cherokee got whacked in an intersection) and have experienced the horror of those Duelers, it too, will get a set of Coursers in the fall...
  • db2gurudb2guru Member Posts: 2
    wcl22, from your post #6435.

I have the exact same problem!! Trying to speed up during a highway merge, let's say, from 30 to 70. So its aggresive accelerating. I end up putting my foot all the way down, and the engine kind of idles at 2200 rpm and feels like its the wrong gear, still going 30mph...

If I leave it for 10 seconds or so, it eventually clears up, but this puts family and I in a dagerous position.

I also have an '01 LE with 34,000 miles, and my concerns seem to be falling on deaf ears at the dealership. Did you get any resolution?

Anyone else seen this?..
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Guys, I was browsing the 4Runner board and the new owners there are reporting between 18-21 MPG with their new V6 4Runnner.

I'm having all the trouble in the world to go over 14MPG here with my 2003 Pathfinder LE. On a highway trip I managed to get 16 at best.

Why is the Pathfinder so much thirstier? I see nothing that justifies that fuel consumption.

I thought it was the cold temperature of winter that was responsible for low score. But now here temperature hoovers around 75F and I'm not doing any better MPG wise.

I know I bring up this issue often but I can hardly get 250 miles out of a tank...

Dreadful....

Help me please.

World
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Why is it such a big deal? Gas is cheap. It costs you about a couple of dollars a week. I spend 3X that on lunch in one day.
    Maybe, but unfortunate. True I spend much more on food too. But as far as I'm concerned, the Pathfinder consumption should be on par with the 4Runner (similar weight, HP, torque, etc.)

It is a big deal for me because I am getting tired to see the the gauge move just for a simple trip to the grocery store. The other day I drove 40 miles (round trip) to see my mom in the hospital and the gauge moved almost 1/4.

I'm lucky that gas is cheap... for now
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Ever since I had the o2 sensors replaced on my 01 LE, my mileage has improved a great deal. Was getting 14-16, have been getting 17-19 ever since. My last trip was 600 miles round trip, set cruise at 80 both ways and got 18.9 mpg. I can't complain now. Also, I towed my 4200lb boat to Florida in early April and avg about 12.5 with o/d off and cruised 70mph. Got 11 thru WV mountains and almost 14 in the flats of Florida.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Why is it such a big deal? Gas is cheap.

Ouch. That hits close to home ;-)

I average just under 17 mpg overall.

I guess the price difference is not that great...12,000 miles @16mpg @$1.78 is $1335 whereas @19mpg it would be $1124. But that's about $31 vs $26 a tankful. And using 120 more gallons a year hurts my conscience a bit.

So I'd like the mpg to be a bit better.

Dieselone...what prompted you to replace the O2 sensors? How much did it cost?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I was exiting from freeway and soon I stopped at the red light but my 2002 Pathy started to shake so badly for while I thought there was an earthquake. It happened for about 5 to 10 secs and I have no idea what it was, maybe something got to do with engine vibration. Also I found out today, that while backing up with the wheel fully turned to right side the whole car shakes. Even the passenger can feel the vibration. I have only 14000 miles, Is this really a big problem. Has anybody have had the similar problem. I am just worried if the dealer can't duplicate.
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    I got ~19k miles on my '02 pathy and avg 20-22 mpg (70% hwy & 30% local) and that only if I keep it under 65mph on the hwy. I noticed if I go over 65mph (70-75) on hwy it only getting ~15-17mpg, what a different!
     Does any one actually know how big is the tank on the 02 pathy? the manual say it's 21 gal, but when I fill it up (as soon as the fuel light came on) with 320 miles on the odometer. It only took in 16 gallon, does this mean I still have 4-5 gallon left when the light came on?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    It's a 21 US gal tank - 80 litres. You can only put about 65 litres in it because of the way the tank vent is installed (unless you're really patient and can find a slow gas station pump). I have managed to put the full 80 litres in mine only a few times. Nissan wanted to make sure it would never overflow when the gas in the tank warms up (gas expands quite a bit when it warms). One of my future to do list jobs is to figure out a way to redo the venting so I can actually fill the tank. The vehicle can really go a long ways between fillups when you actually fill the tank.

I think the frequent refuelling enhances the belief the vehicle gets poor mileage - after all, what we are getting is not bad for a 240 HP 4300 lb vehicle travelling at 80 MPH.

I'm burning 17 L/100 km worst case (winter) city and 13.0 best 14.5 avg highway L/100 km. The city mileage is bad, but that's what should be expected. The 97 Suburban truck at work (350 engine and not nearly as peppy as my 2001 PF) gets 17 L/100 km best case highway mileage. Otherwise it's "glug...glug...glug". Because of that it has twice the fuel capacity of the PF (160 L - now that's expensive to fill!).
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    I've seen a big difference in mileage depending on speed also. On a recent trip from New Hampshire to New Jersey in my 2003 PF I tried to stay around 80mph on the drive down and ended up having to refill the tank with about 1.5 hours to go. On the trip back it was raining so I was forced to stay at about 65-70 mph most of the way. I didn't have to fill the tank until I was almost home. I didn't actually figure out the difference in mileage, but I probably got about an extra 50 miles out of the tank. That would indicate, using Quick-And-Dirty-Math(tm) about another 2-3 miles per gallon.
    Still not great mileage, but not much different than my other car, which is a Olds Aurora with a 4.0L V-8. They both have similar horsepower. The PF has a smaller motor, but the Aurora isn't shaped like a brick.
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    You still have 4-5g left in the tank when the light comes on. My driving is mostly in the city w/ a little bit of highway mixed in (although you could say it's all city because the highways are parking lots here in Boston) and I've found that I can drive another 70 miles or so after the light goes on. This is based on my calculation of approx. 15mpg on avg., times 5 gal. remaining gives you approx 75 miles DTE. Also, when I go to fill up, there is usually about a gal. left in the tank. I pretty much ignore the low fuel light and use the trip odo as my fuel gauge.
    The info re: the next gen. PF was in the NNA press release for the Armada. The info was also in a recent issue of Automotive News.
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 LE with a cracked windshield from a rock. I was wondering if anyone else has had to have their windshield replaced. I don't know about the other model years, but in 2001 the windshield has another antenna for the radio. I was curious if anyone that has had their windshield replaced had any trouble getting the original equipment or something comparable. I am a little apprehensive about someone taking out my windshield and getting it put back together properly, but what other choice do I have?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I had the windshield replaced on my '97 LE just a few months ago. You just need to specify to the company that you have the embedded antenna, and they can get it no problem. The bigger issue you need to consider is how well the new windshield seals so you don't have leaks later. Make sure the company you pick has some sort of guarantee or warrantee against leaks.
  • poseidonposeidon Member Posts: 30
    Thanks again for the info.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I have an 01 LE OWD with 17,000 miles. Most of my 01 driving is HWY or mountain. Last trip to the mountains 195 mile drive round trip, most of that mileage was in the mountains at average speeds of 45 to 60 mph. I filled up upon leaving and arriving at the same station. Total Gal's used was 9. I got about 21.6 mpg. I used my air there and back. When I travel to the coast I drive about 380 miles round trip. I average about 21 to 22 mpg, at speeds of 65 to 75 mph. a few hills and 7% grade there and back. I do very little driving around town driving with 01 but when I do I average 16 to 18 mpg. I usually drive my 98 Honda CR-V, which averages about 20 mpg around town.
    I use 5W30W synt. oil and keep my tire pressure at 30 to 32 psi. on both the 98 Honda 01 Pyth.
    No major problems with eather SUV.
    I fueled up this morning.

67 liters to do 403 km....

16.6L/100km

14.1 MPG (US MPG)

17 MPG (Canadian MPG)

50-50 the mix of city versus highway driving... for this tank. 2WD 95% of the time.

BTW, the truck now has 8000Km or 4800 miles...

To be honest I would be satisfied if I got 14L/100 or 17MPG US for this kind of driving. This means that I could have driven an extra 75km (or 45 miles) with the same 67 liters.

World
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I recently changed my oil to full synthetic about 2500 km ago. I just completed a 1200 km highway trip at posted speeds (90 to 100 km/h), and averaged 24 mpg (imperial gallons). This seems to be the best I have done. By the way, for experimentation, I tried 89 octane for the trip, but expect slightly better results with 91 octane (which is my fuel of choice). I don't know whether synthetic oil helped. I have 43,000 km on my 01 Pathfinder 3.5 VQ engine.
  • bobnot1bobnot1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else experienced a humming sound coming out of your dashboard? I think it is coming from the radio of my 2001 SE. Any suggestions?
  • baydogbaydog Member Posts: 15
    I have the 4WD 2001 LE Pathfinder, and my front 2 tires are getting bald (due to bad alignment). I'd like to switch the 2 to Michelins (LTX or Cross Terrains), but leave the Duelers on the back. Is this OK??

Thanks!
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My guess is if the pair of tires, either front or rear, are the same then it's OK. However when rotating the tires, it'll be all mixed up, as owner's manual indicates.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    watch out mixing tires. I sold tires for a major chain for years. If your PF is AWD or 4X4 and you change tread designs Nissan won't honor any warranty with your driveline (transfer case, axles,hub shafts, diffys) because according to the manufacturers, altering tread can change roation patterns on the tires. Size changes are definitely a no-no, but be cautious with tread changes. Just a little FYI.
    I never know tire tread can't be changed. Do you mean different tread can't be mixed? I know many people buy different brand with different tread.

I also don't remember seeing the owner's manual says not to change tread design.
    I had to have the windshield replaced on my '01 LE this past winter. I'm not sure where you are located but I used Executive Auto Glass here in Boston. I told them I needed the OEM glass because of the antenna and they said no problem. The install was perfect and I got the tinted band across the top as well (didn't come with this out of the factory). They provided a guarantee as well. It says NISSAN on the glass just like all the other windows.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    I go to Harmon Glass for all my windshield replacements. They can get anything you need. I have a Harmon windshield in my 1998 XE right now.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Not all tires of the same size specification are created equal. Two different brand tires may be called "255/60R16" but may not actually have the same actual outside diameter. Check the various tire manufacturers' specs on their websites.

This is also true between tread designs from the same manufacturer, and even more so when tires of different age are used. Obviously a tire with worn tread will have a smaller diameter than a new tire.

If you have an Pathfinder with a dashboard 4x4 knob, rather than the lever, then you really should replace all 4 tires simultaneously to avoid additional wear on the transfer case.

If you have a lever-operated transfer case, then you already know not to use 4WD unless you're on a low-traction surface, such as snow, sand, or dirt. In this case, the relatively small change in diameter is probably insignificant. And if you've got a 2WD, it makes no difference at all.

Just be sure to replace both tires on the axle, not just one.
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the replies about my cracked windshield. I had it successfully replaced yesterday and so far so good. Just as in one of the replies above, they replaced it with what looks to be the original equipment and I too have the tinted stripe at the top which I did not have originally. The new windshield also says NISSAN just as the orininal did. I washed my pathfinder today and did not notice any leaks, which was another of my big concerns. The company that did it for me came to my work and did it in the parking lot. I would have liked to see how it was done, but could not spare the time away from my job. Thanks again for the input.
  • pathy2k1pathy2k1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a Pathfinder 2001 SE and i'm approaching the 30,000 mile maintenance (i'm at 29,850 now). I'll be changing out the automatic transmission fluid, and i'm wondering Redline ATF is any good? I know Amsoil is probably going to be recommended, but is there anyone out there that's used any Red Line products? Let me know if it worked out well for you.

Thanks!
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, as anyone who has read this board for a while knows, the Pathfinder's rotors are prone to warping. I have a 2001 & they replaced the rotors at 16,000 miles under warranty because they were already warped. Well, at 32,000 they're warped again, but this time the dealership wouldn't resurface or replace them under warranty. They said they are a consumable & the warranty for that kind of thing is 12,000 miles (despite the fact they replaced them the first time at 16,000). The service manager suggested I call Nissan Corporate, which I did. They basically told me the same thing. They also said the fact that they're warping so fast is characteristic of my driving habits. That's funny, of all the cars I've driven (including other SUVs) I've never had this problem except for one other vehicle, a 1995 Ford Mustang, another vehicle in which rotor warping was common. Corporate said the only thing I could do was file a complaint and he would research to see if there was a known problem with the rotor design. Of course, they called back a day later and told me they couldn't find a problem and again said it was due to my driving. So, if you've ever had your rotors warp really quickly on your PF, call 1-800-NISSAN-1 and file a complaint. Tell them you think there is a design flaw that causes the rotors on the PF to warp. Probably nothing will come of this, but if enough people do this, you never know. For those who have to buy their own rotors and want something better, go to www.brakewarehouse.net They sell a set of cross-drilled & slotted Akuta (Japanese company) rotors for around $200. Also, at www.importrp.com , although Brembo doesn't make a rotor for the PF, they say they can find a Brembo that will fit any vehicle. I'm waiting for them to e-mail me back.
  • pathy32000pathy32000 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Does anyone know of a hood mask that fits a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder? Its hard enough to find these things but it seems to be harder to find a good one that would be compatible. This is what I am talking about - http://www.global-accessories.com/products/cartlink_html/autozone- /hoodmask.phtml - I wanted the same style as this. Thanks!!
  • ilovecars2ilovecars2 Member Posts: 6
    Smokey75

Just a thought. Do you or your repair shop torque the lug nuts to the Nissan specs?

Over torqued lug nuts can warp the rotors. If the lugs are installed with an impact, watch out. A good quality 1/2" impact will put out 600+ ft lbs. This equals 6 times the manufacturers specs. The best way to install lugs is with a torque wrench. And not those cheesy things you buy for 19.95 at your local hardware store.
    Hey, ILOVECARS2... I do rotate my own tires and I use an impact wrench, but I use the specified torque stick with it that lowers the torque. I don't have the manual in front of me right now so I can't remember the specified torque, but it's the grey torque stick. If you look back through the posts this has been a problem for a lot of people. In my opinion, this is due to poor rotor design. The rotors on the PF are not very large & I don't feel that they have the surface area to adequately dissapate the heat generated by an SUV this heavy. The PF definitely is not the only vehicle with this problem. So, it's not because the lugs are being overtightened, but thanks for the help anyway.
    Smokey,

Just trying to help with a quick solution. Although, I would not recommend using the torque sticks. They are +/- 25% accurate. Their invention came about from impacts over torquing lugs. However they were designed for production work in tire shops, were speed of install equals $. I've had a few "disagreements" with tire shop managers over properly torqing the lugs on my vehicles. Now I'll grant you that torque on lug nuts are not as critical as a fastener on an aircraft, however I'm anal about my cars. A good quality torque wrench is +/- 2% in the top 80% of scale. If you want accuracy, nothing beats a quality torque wrench when installing tires on your car.
    The most accurate torquing is provided by "bend bar" wrenches, while most everybody these days uses the "ratchet release" type. I use my old Montgomery Ward bend bar torque wrench on my lug nuts, and have no problems with results. It gets a little tiresome having to arrange things so that you can always see the scale on the wrench, though.
    I have to admit that I don't understand why we have to be so accurate when torquing nuts on wheels....

What can happen if you don't torque it to the proper level of % ? Warp brake rotors? Wheel shaking? Endless worries?

I'm just curious.

Thanks
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone else besides myself think the front seats (actual seating area)are too small in width? Unless one sits with their legs literally stuck together, the left driver leg for example is resting on the top contour of the bucket which is very hard and uncomfortable over long distance.
    Your right on all counts, I believe! »:o]
    Sorry, but I need to correct some things in your post. The torque wrench you refer to as a "bend bar" is actually a direct read model. It uses a torsion bar to directly measure the force applied. Your "monkey wards" wrench probably has not been calibrated since Gunsmoke was on the air.

The other style you refer to as a "ratchet release" is a Click type, the most common wrench in the marketplace. Some ratchet some don't. However, Snap-on has a digital torque wrench that beeps and vibrates when the proper torque is applied. It's very accurate, 1% out of the box, very slick.

To prove my point a large tire store chain has actually purchased torque wrenches for all of their mechanics. They can only use their impacts for removal. No more cross threaded nuts, stripped studs, or warped rotors.

I've owned everything from Ford, Chevy, Audi, Nissan, Volvo, and GM. They all listed the torque specs in the owners manual. They do this for a reason.

Why is all of this important. You're driving down the road in the middle of nowhere and "pow" your Pathfinder has a flat. You pull over and get out your trusty cheap Nissan lug remover. But wait you can't get off one of the lug nuts because some knucklehead at the tire store cross threaded your lug nuts. I actually witness this during my travels. A guy in a Altima who was trying to change his tire at a rest stop couldn't remove the flat. Some Moron at the place he rotated his tires stripped the stud.

Remember, the only thing between your butt seating in your heated leather seats and the hard cold road are your tires.
    I myself don't have any problem resting my left leg. If I do, I'd lower the seat front a bit to have less hard support to my leg. I found the actual uncomfort does not come from the seat but the too wide of the floor bump in the front that my right foot does not have room to move about (just enough room to operate the gas pedal). I think it is designed to accommodate the 4WD mechanism under the floor...
    "Sorry, but I need to correct some things in your post."

From whence did this driving need arise? You're quite hypercritical of my use of descriptive language to refer to two different types of torque wrench, pointing out that you have the correct names for my instruction. You missed the point entirely. I just checked with Marshal Dillon from Gunsmoke and he told me that in view of the laws of physics, there really is no reason to ever bother trying to "recalibrate" a classic torque wrench from the Montgomery Ward collection. He then told me that those "clickers" (that's a very technical term!) are rarely expected to read more accurately than 5% of true torque. Now, Snapon probably has a model out that is far better, but then the price will put it out of the reach of the majority of tool buyers, I'd dare say. Oh! And I forgot to tell you I also own a... what? Click type? Yeah, that's it. A click type. (:o]
    Fleetwoodsimca No worries all in the spirit of knowledge.

I owned a 2000 LE PF until a month ago. My PF decided it wanted to fly. An older gentleman pulled out in front of me while I was traveling on a highway. I was also pulling a utility trailer.

Once I t-boned the other vehicle, my PF went sailing, flipped unto the roof and rolled four times. All the glass was blown out and all the occupants were injured

At this point the PF is a mangled heap of metal. But not one of the four air bags deployed. When I was in the ER both a cop and a fireman said the grille guard prevented the air bags from going off. Has anyone had a accident with a grille guard on and the air bags didn't go off? Would love to know. Thanks.
    That is indeed awful. I certainly hope that you and everyone else involved in the accident are now okay. I have never heard anything about grill guards preventing the bags from inflating. Considering the "authority" level of the policeman and fireman telling you that was the case, you should consider reporting the incident to the federal Dept. of Transportation. Perhaps the responders already have. Good luck.
  • spinbearspinbear Member Posts: 9
    We just bought a brand new 2003 SE, and it's my first new car. So I have a question about oil changes, when they say 3 mos/3000 miles, is it what comes first or last? Because we only put about 400 miles a month on it, so it'll be about 7 months before we hit the 3000 mile mark. Do we really need to change the oil and filters at 1200 miles? Or is the stealer just seeing dollar signs from new owners? I thought today's synthetics were engineered to go 5000 miles, no sweat. Advice please! Thanks--
  • pathy32000pathy32000 Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I just bought a 1998 Pathfinder a few weeks ago. I don't know much about cars but the 'Check Engine' light just came on yesterday...could someone please explain some likely reasons why it did? The gas cap is on...we tried that. Also, would you recommend me buying a code reader for it and trying to figure this out myself or is it worth it to spend the money to have someone else handle this problem? I just figured that you all would be the people to ask first. Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try to find an auto parts store that will pull the codes for free - AutoZone is one that usually offers this service.

Steve, Host
    I have religiously changed the oil and filter on my 1998 PF XE since I bought it new in '98. I have always used high quality, appropriate mineral oil of proper weight. I am not aware of the latest iterations of PFs coming from the factory with synthetic oil in the crankcase. I change every 3K miles, and do not worry about the time that passes reaching that point, although I would not go beyond a year on any vehicle. Find out what the warranty demands that you do, so that you do not breach those terms.

A quick way to get a reading of a "check engine" light is to go to an Autozone store and ask them for that free service. Now, interpreting the code as a diagnosis of what is required to repair the vehicle can be another matter. You may end up needing to seek out a shop/mechanic for final determination of what to do to fix the problem.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    This is an industry known problem. Check out "East Coast Bullbars" (an Australian company). They claim they check out each of their products to ensure they do not interfere with air bag sensitivity. Time to check the grill guard manufacturer. It's their responsibility to ensure their product is safe to use (when installed properly of course). It may be time to consult a lawyer.
    Hey, I'm also a firefighter & it's amazing to me what kind of crap police & other firefighters feel the need to inform the public of... especially when they really don't know what they're talking about. There really is no way a grill guard could interfere with an air bag not deploying. The front airbags are deployed by the air bag control module, which on most vehicles is located inside the vehicle. It is basically a decelerometer (spelling?). Inside the module it consists of a small ball (usually gold because it is a good conductor of electricity) located on the side of the module facing the rear of the vehicle. Towards the front of the module there is electrical contacts. This ball is designed to break loose at a certain deceleration. When it breaks loose it flies forward & hits the contacts, sending the signal to deploy the airbag. That is why the front airbags only deploy in a frontal collision. The force has to be in that direction for the ball to break loose. I've actually seen an airbag control module cut in half so that you can see what I'm talking about. So, therefore anything mounted on the front won't affect rather the airbag deploys or not. It is controlled by how fast the vehicle decelerates, which obviously, is very fast in a frontal collision. Now, as to why your bags didn't deploy in your collision, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe the fact that your initial collision sent you flying and didn't immediately stop you resulted in a low enough deceleration from the forward direction to not deploy. If you were wearing your seatbelt & didn't strike the steering wheel the impact probably didn't warrant the front airbags being deployed anyway. They are designed to prevent your head & sometimes chest from impacting the steering wheel.