Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smithmedtronicsmithmedtronic Member Posts: 9
    I've got an 01' SE w/82K troublefree miles and am considering new shocks and struts. Has anyone replaced theirs? If so, with what and was it worth it? My main objective would be better ride quality and handling.

Thanks
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    I have the OEM 16" Dunlop's w/ 41k miles. I did the old penny trick and it looks like I will need to replace them by 50k or so. I'm curious to learn how many miles yours lasted. Thanks.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I have 37500 on my 01 LE. My tires aren't looking so hot. I probably could nurse them along another 5-10k, but with winter around the corner I think I'll need more rubber. I don't think I'll go with the OEM Bridgestones. I'll do some research and replace with a better tire in the next month or two.
  • lawsonblawsonb Member Posts: 7
    Airman72, I had the same problem with my 2002 SE air dam. The dealer replaced it under warranty.
  • neptunedudeneptunedude Member Posts: 9
    I have a 01 Pathfinder that makes this whining/wheezing sound when I first start the engine on rainy or humid days? The wheezing comes from the engine, and after a few miles of driving the sounds subsides. Does anyone else has this problem or know what is causing this sound, is this normal?
    Also I have the same problem that a lot of other people have with their CD-changer. When I put a disc in my # 1 disc slot it reads Err2. On the rest of the disc slots it reads the CD perfectly normal, so I know it is not the CD that I am using, did anyone come up with a solution to fixing the CD changer besides replacing the unit? I am over my warranty and don’t want to shell out $500 for a new radio unit.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • sswagnersswagner Member Posts: 3
    According to Automotive News the Pathfinder will be based on Nissan's Dunehawk concept car, here are some pics of it:
    h
    ttp://press.nissan-global.com/EN/EVENTS/autoshow.html#FRANKFURT
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    It look so solid and powerful. How do we open its door? Seems there is nothing to grab. Push button and auto open?
  • smithmedtronicsmithmedtronic Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Chuck...for the shock info. I'll check them out in Nov.!
  • cooper19cooper19 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 LE 2-wheel drive Pathfinder with dealer issued TOYO TIRES (the worst garbage tires I ever had). Right front tire disintegrated while I was driving and almost got killed. Pathfinder is a good automobile but no one should accept delivery of a new Nissan with TOYO TIRES. The Company was very unresponsive to consumer needs and concerns. They don't stand behind their product or their name. It could be the beginning of another Firestone fiasco.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    We went wider and taller and put 265/70-16''s on two years ago and will do it again this month. They give our SE a little more aggressive look as well as providing a little additional clearance for trips to the backcountry.

gritz
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Bgritz,

What year is your pathy and what brand of tires did you put on? I have 2001 LE and wondering if I can fit 265/70/16's in my wheel well without any rubbing. Is your fuel milage suffering with the bigger tires? Thanks.
    Ibinh,
    We have an '01 SE 5-spd. I ended up going with the "Pathfinder Sport SUV" from Discount Tire here in Denver (link below)

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findTireDetail.do?step=details&am- p;productType=TIRE&index=4&productCodeIndex=15659

I tried to squeeze 265/75-16's on, but they were a little too close to the front struts for my comfort. (they did look tough!)

I have been EXTREMELY happy with this rubber. By the time I replace them, I will have gotten more that 50k out of them. They were rated for 60k but with the off-roading and mtn driving here, we usually only get 50%-75% of the wear rating, so these have been excellent. For pics of them new go here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bgritz

and click on the new tires section. There are some other pics of the tires in action in UT and CO if interested.
    They handle rain & snow better than any non-winter specific tire I've ever owned. (ours are siped-that helps)

Rubbing:
    The tires fit completely into the wheel wells w/o rubbing. Even when the back is flexed w/one tire off the ground, the other side still has .25'-.50 inches of room. It's close, but I've never rubbed in the rear. When new, the fronts used to rub SLIGHTLY when backing up with the steering wheel fully cranked to either side, but again it was very slight and no cause for concern.

Mileage:
    When comparing numbers off the odometer, it went down a bit, but when using a GPS to track mileage, it actually stayed about the same. (down slightly)
    The speedo also read 2mph fast due to the larger circumference of the tire, but can live with that.

good luck and keep us posted,
    gritz
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Doesn't the speedo pick up RPM? For a bigger circumference you should be turning fewer RPMs for any given speed and the speedo (and odo for that matter) should be reading low.
    I don't don't know where it exactly pulls the info from. On the manual tranny if I'm doing 35, depress the clutch, coast, but wind up the RPM's - the mph stays and or slowly drops as the fwd momentum decreases.

Come to think of it the speedo has to get its info from some place in the T-case or back. i.e. on a snowy/slick surface if you break the rear tire(s) loose, the speedo increases at a rate greater than vehicle and conversely when down-shifting on those same surfaces, when the tires break loose in this situation, it indicates a slower rate than actual.
    hmmmm, now I wanna go find were it gets the info from. Back in a bit............
    gritz
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey COOPER19, just out of curiosity, do you keep your tires at the pressure recommended on the door sill & check the pressure often? Just wondering if the tire pressure may have been low, causing it to fail. Just curious, not an accusation...
    A Gem of a find:
    http://howstuffworks.lycoszone.com/

here's how our speedo works:
    "Many modern cars use a system like this, too. Instead of a magnetic pickup on a wheel, they use a toothed wheel mounted to the output of the transmission and a magnetic sensor that counts the pulses as each tooth of the wheel goes by. Some cars use a slotted wheel and an optical pickup, like a computer mouse does. Just like on the bicycle, the computer in the car knows how much distance the car travels with each pulse, and uses this to update the odometer reading."
    from http://howstuffworks.lycoszone.com

the full explanation is located here:
    http://howstuffworks.lycoszone.com/odometer2.htm

gritz
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    When I said RPM I was thinking driveshaft or wheel hubs, not the tach. So back to the original reason for posting - you put bigger tires (circumference) on, which turn few revs for any given speed yet your speedo went up 2%?
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Hi, guys. I've finally got some pictures of my 99.5 SE Pathy.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pathymrq

smithmedtronic- There's some choices for shocks and struts. Rancho, Monroe, KYB GR-2's... also if want bigger tires to fit in, I would consider invest on lift. There are 2" or 1/2" to 1" lift(this is what I have)...
    I'm sorry,
    I had stated my situation erroneously and then mis-read you question. You are correct, The vehicle is traveling 2 mph more quickly than indicated on the speedo. (indicated 65mph ='s 67mph. -There are some laws that can't be broken!)

gritz
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    bgritz, thanks for posting your tire info & pics! How is the highway handling with the larger tires? Is there more bounce/sway at highway speeds? Also, should the spare tire be replaced with the larger size as well?
    I'm planning on buying new tires in Oct and will probably go with the larger size(maybe Michellens).
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    Greetings from Canada, eh !

I took delivery of my 2003 Pathfinder Chilkoot edition in April and I am very happy with
    this suv. I’ve been reading these posts here for quite some time and thought it was time
    for my first post. I currently have 6800 kms and one dealer oil change at 6000 kms.
    There’s been a lot of talk about tires, I too find the ride a bit rough, even on a simple
    gravel road, I literally have to take my foot off the gas. I also notice that these tires tend to
    flick rocks as I drive, I think they’re hitting the underside, there are no stone chips
    anywhere on the paint. My stock tires are Dunlop TG 35 Grandtrek, does anyone else
    have these ? Also, rear view mirror temp/compass display; I noticed in two showroom
    Pathfinders that there was a small rubber tube connecting the back of the mirror (which
    has a small knob on it) to the inside of the windshield. This little piece is missing and am
    not picky about it, but just wondering if it is supposed to be there. I haven’t had any
    problems with CD’s being jammed, and in reference to message #6943 regarding the AC
    being charged to 0.91 lbs, the green label under my hood says 0.99 lbs. Here are some
    pics, I hope the link works. Here in Canada they scraped the XE and replaced it with the
    Chilkoot Edition, previous editions were the Prospector and Klondike. That’s all for now,
    see ya’ll later...

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/sfd32
    In terms of bounce, I noticed no difference whatsoever. I run a higher PSI than indicated in the glove box because I prefer a firmer ride. (32-33 PSI in the fronts, and 28-30 in the rears depending on load)

A for sway, I usually run my tires down quite far, so everytime I get new ones that have any lug at all they feel a bit squirmy to me at first. They only feel that way for a bit till I get used to them, but that would happen to me with any tire I think.

gritz
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    How tough was it to change the headlights to HID's? Looks great!
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    It's designed to dampen vibration of the mirror. Not critical but nice to have. I would have thought all Pathys come with it (mine does).
    My 02 QX4, previous 94 Altima and 96 Maxima all have that. When I put sun shade on, sonetimes it pops the rubber out.
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    Just to make sure, the current Pathfinder is being replaced by the Aramada, right?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    No, the Pathfinder is not being replaced by the Armada. The Armada is going to be the Pathfinder's larger stablemate. A Pathfinder redesign is due for MY2005.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Great pics but let's not overdo it!

Thanks.

tidester, host
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Heheh! At least they were hyperlinks! :)
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Just out of curiosity, how does putting a list of links hurt anything... no matter how long they are?
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Thats what I was wondering...geez...next time I won't follow the forum rules and just post the images outright.

Guess that is what I get for reading the directions/rules first....

If you decide to add in a rule limiting the number of hyperlinks to photos please let me know and I'll gladly remove them down to the proper amount. I almost have the notion to just remove them now...but I wont because I thought current and future PF owners might want to catch as many glimpses as possible at what may be in store for the next PF design. I know I sure did...thus the photos. The 2 photos edmunds provided of the DuneHawk from the Frankfurt show were hardly enough to wet my appetite.

I have been a longtime member here - ever since I purchased my first 2001 PF LE in January of 2001. I'm on my 2nd PF now, a 2003 LE (sold the first one and went for another one!). I guess I'll have to start looking elsewhere to discuss the PF.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hey, I said they were great pics! You seem to have missed that part.

Nobody said it was against the rules - it was a suggestion! It's kind overwhelming coming across a page full of links.

Here's another suggestion: lighten up! :-)

tidester, host
  • engle3engle3 Member Posts: 12
    mbunting: I loved the pics and am jealous that you got to be in Frankfurt AND enjoy lovely cars.

My Pathfinder is a 2001 with 65,000 pleasant miles on it. My only expense has been oil changes and a new set of good tires.

I love my car...but the DuneHawk is going to be tempting.
    Unless you like deploying (or being away from your family) for months and months at a time....
    But there are alot worse places to be sent than Germany (Iraq) - so I guess I shouldn't complain!!!!

tidestar: I'll lighten up but 18 links isn't really an overwhelming amount in my opinion???

Heck, there are 12 lnks alone at the bottom of this page :)

Enough about the links...let's discuss the PF/DH !!!
  • mdag25mdag25 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All.. I live in Cleveland ohio and today received an offer from a local dealer to PF SE loaded with leather for 437.00 a month on a 39 month lease with 18k miles a year.
    MSRP 33600
    residual value 14500
    Capitalized cost 30600
    MF 00024
    Includes 8% sales tax. ( Thanks Govenor Taft)

Is this a pretty good deal or should I keep looking. Thanks for your help
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey, mbunting...I remember when you purchased your 2001 LE, about the same time I did...I recall your question about buying it unseen as you were coming of a tour, IIRC.

Well, I've just put my PF up for sale, as I've changed priorities and vehicular requirements and bought an '02 RSX. I've decided to rent uhauls to tow my boat and my kids have their own cars now, so...

I have to say that the PF has been 100% reliable and a terrific vehicle...Nissan's quality control is suberb. Of course, Honda's ain't so bad, either ;-)

If anyone has any questions that they'd like to ask offline, you can contact me at runsailbike@yahoo.com.

My thanks to all that have given their advice and experiences here...it's been a tremendous help.

Tom
    You are correct...bought my 01' LE the day after getting back from serving 2 years on active duty (Air Force) in Turkey.

It was a great vehichle...and so is my 03' LE now...

Have fun w/ your RSX....and thanks for all your contributions to the PF board here as well!

Best Regards and God Bless!
  • pumpdudepumpdude Member Posts: 4
    Engle3 - can you please tell me what you consider "good tires"? My '02 is ready for some new rubber before winter.
  • jszeijszei Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to remove the roof rack on my '03 Pathfinder SE (if anyone wants it). Before I do that I need to obtain the end caps that come standard on the LE to cover the spaces under the risers. It doesn't have to be an '03, any of the recent years will do. Does anyone know where to get these parts, have them, or want an SE style rack if they have an LE?

Thanks,
    John
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2001 4wd/awd(w/LSD) LE. If I upgrade tires from OEM 255/65R16 to 265/70R16 do I need to upgrade the spare tire also? Would it hurt anything if I had to run the OEM spare tire with the larger tires?
    We didn't upgrade the spare when we went to the 265/70 sized tire. If you ran 1 smaller spare long distances with the three other tires I think you would probably do some damage to the internals of the differentials ect., But for short "spare tire" situations, I think you'd be OK.

I also think I read that the 265/70-16 doesn't fit into the space provided under the rear unless you let some air out of it. If that's the case, what's the use of a spare if it's flat as well?
  • foolsbrainfoolsbrain Member Posts: 7
    The Pathfinder Chilkoot is going to be replaced by a new model with the name of Chinook. I believe the only change is the wheel flare will be added to the current Chilkoot edition.
  • mikeeeemikeeee Member Posts: 7
    Joe233, I believe that you can get away with having a mismatched size for the spare, but I would recommend only using it on the front axles. I.E. If your driver side rear (d.s.r) tire went flat, you should remove the driver side front (d.s.f.) tire, place the spare on that axle and then use the d.s.f. tire to replace the d.s.r. tire that is flat. This ensures that the lsd in the rear axle is not constantly engaging due to different tire speeds. Their is no front lsd, so you could theoretically use a donut spare.

This is the procedure recommended by Honda for their S2000 which comes with smaller front tires than rear and has a donut spare and rear LSD, so I would think it would hold true for our trucks.

Mike
  • engle3engle3 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry to be so slow...
    My tires are Michelin, Cross Terrain SUV. Kind of expensive, but they have over 25,000 miles on them now and are still a completely smooth ride. I hope to get another 25,000 on them. I can't find the bill, so I can't tell you what I paid, but I'll check next time I get them rotated.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Anyone know the specific warranty beyond the basic 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and 5yr/60K powertrain warranty? I am interested in the safety product warranties. Are seat belts/seat buckles covered against defects for the lifetime of the vehicle?

I have this annoying squeeking coming from the driver's buckle when latched to seat belt. This is second seat belt buckle from Nissan, practically new. It was replaced about 4 months ago. It only occurs when it is cool such as night and morning.

I have 2001 LE Pathy w/35,700 miles.
    should have lifetime warranty. My 94 Altima and 96 Maxima manuals all said so, and I think it's still so today, unless it is either a failure caused by an accident, or a cosmetic thing.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi:

Nissan Canada has posted specs and pricing on the 2004 models. Information at http://www.nissan.ca.
  • mikeeeemikeeee Member Posts: 7
    Joe,

I have a 2001 LE with a roof rack and would be interested in switching with you. Where are you located? I am in Milwauke, WI.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please take it to email; we don't want to start filling up the boards with a swap shop. Thanks,

Steve, Host