Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    great story. i think it will be a hit.
  • dkswdksw Member Posts: 1
    Is there a equivelent trans fluid to the Nissan
    D-matic fluid?
    Also what side of the trans cooler is the return
    line? 2002 Pathfinder
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Yeah, I have a 2001 PF & was wondering the same thing because I'm getting ready to drop the fluid & want to flush out all it. So, anybody know which one is the return?
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    Hello,

My 03 PF makes a rattling noise when the steering wheel is turned in either direction and I accelerate to drive away. I can duplicate this by holding the brake pedal with my left foot and gently tapping the gas with the my right. This is under normal steering situations (backing out of driveway) not turning it all the way in one direction. I explained this to the dealership and the service rep kinda knew what I was talking about. But I said "Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't". I'm getting to the point of wanting to bring it to the dealer, but I thought I'd run it by everyone here first. Any ideas...
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    Check the heat shield if it sounds like a metal on metal rattle. I had the heat shield come loose on a Jetta I used to own and recently on my 01 Pathfinder LE. The sound is a metal on metal rattle that is intermittant and would occur under all of the conditions you suggest.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Hi All,

Being similar vehicles, I thought I'd post this to the forum. I have a 2001 QX4 w/ about 51k miles. Lastnight while driving home on the highway, my engine just shut-off, no power steering or power brakes but I did have my lights. Luckily, I was close to an offramp and pulled over on a side street.

Thinking it was an electrical problem. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. When I tired to start it, the starter motor would turn-over but couldn't get the engine to start. Well, I decided to get it towed this morning instead of lastnight but it started without a problem. However, while driving home the engine service light went off with a few chirps but the engine kept running and I was able to go home.

Anybody have this problem before? Any thoughts?

I've posted before where I've been driving and my headlights would turn-off but still had fog-lights. After playing with the switches the lights would eventually come back on. Not sure if it's related but thought I'd mention it.

I'll be bringing it the dealer tomorrow but unfortunately my warranty ran out a few months ago.

Thanks for reading.

Tony
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I too have finally worn out my OEM Toyo tires 255/65/16 on my 2001 SE AWD.

I am also thinking 265/70/16 Michelin LTX M/S.

I believe the overall diameter on the OEM tires is ~29.2" and on the new size ~30.7".

My brother with a 98 Chilkoot made a similar switch with no adverse effects!
    By the way, which Michelin tire is better rated for very little off-road use ... LTX M/S or Cross Terrain?

TIA
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    About 2 weeks ago, the Service Engine light came on. I have a 2001 LE 4x4 with the 3.5 liter engine and 51K miles

The local Autozone store pulled the code for me; it was 1140, water in fuel condition. They sold me a bottle of HEET and told me the light should go off in a few days.

After 2 weeks of using HEET on half a tank, then STP gas treatment, the light is still on and the code is still 1140. Disconnecting the battery didn't clear the code.

The car starts and runs fine. Any ideas what's going on?

aw
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Give it some time. Code reset cycles can take some time to test for the trigger condition again.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Test Battery and Alternator at parts shop like Autozone. Maybe old bettery on its last leg. Check all electrical cables for corrosion/loose connections.

Good Luck!
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the reply Ibinh. The dealership found that my "cam" sensor was bad and causing the problem. Doing a google search, it appears this can happen with a bad cam sensor. The dealership is charging $300 to replace it.
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    I'm getting ready to have the front struts replaced with KYB GR2's.

Should I have the strut mount and bearing replaced or just the bearing?

Does it matter whether the bearing is KYB or Nissan OEM?

aw
    Well ... I had new 265/70/16 Michelin Cross Terrains installed and they look fantastic!!!

Tires are super quiet, much better than the OEM Toyos ... larger size really fills out the wheel wells.
  • unreal62unreal62 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 2001 Pathfinder. I live in Montana, so I definitely drive in snow, but I don't do much back-road driving. 95% of the time I'm driving in town or on the highway. I will probably be towing a small camper and/or a ski boat occasionally (which is why I'm looking at a mid-sized SUV in the first place). So, how does the 2WD Pathfinder handle in snow? What are your opinions?

Thanks!
  • pathypathy Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I'm interested in how your larger tires are effecting your performance and milege. I was thinking doing something similar.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    If you're familiar with how a rear-wheel-drive vehicle handles in snow, the Pathfinder isn't much different. (RWD vehicles behave much differently than FWD vehicles; they tend to swap ends much more readily when accelerating in a turn). If you'll be driving at least once a week over snow-covered roads during the winter, whether plowed or not, you'll appreciate the 4WD. I assume you've never owned a 4WD, is that right?
  • langodlangod Member Posts: 33
    Hi

I put 265/70SR-16 Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II tires on my 2003 Pathfinder last year. (You can read my original post about it if you go to message #7093)

I have been VERY happy with them. I would imagine that any similar high quality tire of the same size will give similar results.

After a year of driving on the larger tires, here's what I've found:
    - Acceleration is *slightly* diminished because of the change in tire diameter. Nothing significant because the Pathfinder is no slouch in the first place.
    - Gas mileage seems about the same. But I did notice that sustained high-speed cruising (75+ mph) starts to really eat some gas.
    - I did have to slightly modify the inner fender well "tubs" in the front to keep the tires from rubbing at max turn angles in reverse. (no big deal though)
    - Steering response (quickness) seems better.
    - Smoother ride over potholes.
    - The (automatic) transmission shifts down out of "overdrive" more frequently. Slight hills on the highway that the Pathfinder used to be able to take in overdrive, now cause a shift out of OD to maintain the same speed.
    - The look is fantastic -- the bigger tires give a much more agressive look and fill the fenderwells nicely.

Hope this helps...

Jim
  • viking03viking03 Member Posts: 21
    Iangod,

Is there any way you could post a link to some pictures of your Pathfinder? I am very interested in upgrading the size of tireso on my 2003 (after they're worn sufficiently). A slightly cushier ride and more aggressive appearance would be outstanding. How did you adjust your speedometer reading (or what conversion factor do you use?)

What do you think? Is it possible to post pictures on this board?

Thanks for any reply!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's pic posting instructions in the Help files on the left; you'll need a place to host the pics since you can't just upload them to Edmunds. Please try to keep the sizes small for the benefit of our members who are on a dial-up connection.

Steve, Host
  • bobbyvbobbyv Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used '97 Pathfinder 4wd a few years ago. So far, it's been fantastic. However, got a few questions for folks:

1. The heat shield on the exhaust system has rusted out and rattles like crazy. My dealer suggested just trimming it all off. Has anyone had heat issues after doing this? Anyone put on a new stock exhaust system at home, to include front and rear mufflers - was this a pretty easy swap out?

2. The truck came stock with 235/70R15s. I've seen lots of posts about 16" tires on newer Pathfinders. I was thinking of moving up to the 265/70R15s which came on other trim packages that same year. Anyone know how many mph this throws the speedo off by? Has anyone gotten the speedo adjusted to correct for the larger tire size? Opinions on whether it's worth doing - I've thrown the truck through some nasty stuff with the 235's and it always comes out the other side...
    My buddy has a 98 Chilkoot witch stock 15" tires. He replaced them with 31 x 10.5 x 15" Michelin LTX MS ... they look awesome!

As far as the speedo is concrened, I personally couldn't care less if I'm running +/- 5%.
    Performance is outstanding with the new bigger rubber. Quiet and loads of traction! Mileage wise, I'm not sure there's much impact ... not that I've noticed as yet anyway.

I'd highly rrecommend this surgery.
    - I did have to slightly modify the inner fender well "tubs" in the front to keep the tires from rubbing at max turn angles in reverse. (no big deal though)

I do notice marginal rubbing sound ONLY in reverse and ONLY when backing towards the right, e.g. parallel parking. What mods did you do to get rid of this noise?
    bobbyv- since your Pathfinder came with 235/70R15 tires, it probably has taller gearing in the differentials (4.363:1). The models that have larger tires have lower gearing (4.636:1). Changing the tire from 235/70 to 31x10.50 is nearly a 10% difference in diameter. This will severely impact your performance and fuel economy with the stock gearing. (Junkyards may have low-cost 4.636 differentials available though.) Additionally, your stock steel wheels are only 6.5" wide. Ideally you should have at least a 7" wheel for 31" tires. While you could squeeze 31x10.50R15 tires onto your stock wheels, the maximum I would recommend is 30x9.50R15, due to the wheel width and gearing issues. If you plan on replacing your wheels with 15x7 or 16x7, you can go with bigger tires (31x10.50R15 or 245/75R16) but you'll still have the performance issue. At speeds over 70mph, you probably won't be able to use O/D.

ballfire8888- modifying the plastic inner fender liners can be accomplished in several ways. You can either cut it with a utility knife or heat it with a heat gun/blow dryer and deform it out of the way. You'll need to verify where the tire rubs before doing this, though. Alternatively the tire may be rubbing on the front mud flap. Again, a utility knife takes care of this most easily. Here's another (more extreme) alternative but you'll notice I also have an aftermarket front bumper installed, too.
  • jim243jim243 Member Posts: 7
    I just replaced the exhaust on my 1998 Pathfinder. I live on Long Island (New York) so we have moisture problems and rust from corrosion caused by using salt on the roads during the winter. I went with a Walker exhaust from Rockauto.com and it cost about $250.00 after using a 5% off discount coupon. You can find the coupon code by doing a Google search (make sure it is not expired). I replaced the parts after the catalytic converters. It consisted of 2 intermediate pipes, the muffler and the resonator and 2 clamps, 3 gaskets 5 rubber mounts.

The biggest problem in doing it myself on the driveway was the corrosion on the nuts and studs. Because of the corrosion each of the nuts went from 17mm size down to about 15mm. I started spraying them with PB Blaster penetrating oil a few days before and wire brushed the nuts and stud threads. I found that I only was really removing the surface rust and not doing anything to the corrision between the nut and the stud threads. The only way that I was able to remove the nuts was to use HEAT and be sure to only use 6 point sockets. The nuts were in such bad shape that you do not get many chances to use a socket on them or they will end up rounded off. I found it best to heat them with MAPP gas (propane is just not hot enough and Oxy acetylene was out of my price range). I found that mine were so rusted that I had to heat them a minimum of 5 times and spray them down with PB Blaster after each heating before I put a socket to the nut for the first time. Then you need to try to first tighten the nut lightly ( yes -- try to tighten before loosening) and then loosen it lightly and then lubricate it again. The goal is to break the hold of the rust. Don't use full force or you will break the stud. If you don't get that slight movement you must go back to the heat. Once you get the movement you can begin to loosen and then tighten the nut. You must continue to spray the nut to wash away the rust particles from the stud threads. Don't try to remove the nut in only one operation. As you loosen and tighten and lubricate you will find each turn becomes easier. You will also need to get 2 clamps and 3 screws from the Nissan dealer to support the 2 intermediate pipes and attaches them to a metal plate. My bolts were also very rusted. The plate was rusted and i repainted it.

I was very surprised given the corrosion of the nuts that I was able to find good threads after the nuts came off. I started removing the nuts even before the Walker exhaust was delivered. I ordered 8 nuts from my Nissan dealer and 2 studs. I wanted extra nuts in case I had any problem with the old threads. I thought I was going to break at least one stud and be forced to drill it out . I used the 2 studs and 4 nuts to connect the muffler flange to the resonator flange. You could also use bolts. I also found a ground strap rusted away that connected the muffler to body and I replaced it. I did not replace the various heat shields that covered the original muffler parts because they just rusted away. Be sure you use anti-seize compound on the nuts and studs when you put on the new exhaust.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Anyone seen the new PF at a dealer yet? The pictures I've seen look great - much better than the Armada. Anxious to see it in person.
  • langodlangod Member Posts: 33
    If you go to posts 7102 and 7013 you will be able to read my description and get a link to pictures. Also a couple of other people made some comments and suggestion about modifying the fenderwells. (By the way, my nickname on those posts is "nne3jxc" not "langod" -- but it is still me.)

As far as the mods -- this'll sound strange - but all I did was glue a couple of 2x8 "bump" Lego blocks inside the innerlip of the fender well between the fenderwell and the plastic splashguard/tub. This pushed the tub forward enoough to clear the tires. I also took off the mudflaps....
    If you can't visualize it, go look at the pics...

Regards,
    Jim

PS: Sorry about the slow response -- I'm currently 600 miles from home....
  • bobbyvbobbyv Member Posts: 2
    jim243: I really appreciate your detailed info. While I'm fortunate to be in NC now, I spent about a decade in MN, so I'm well aware of the fun snow and salt create with exhaust systems. Other than the frozen nuts, sounds pretty straight forward.

xplorx4: thanks for the tire info. I'm not looking to get real big tires on my Pathfinder, but the selection in the stock 235/70R15 is pretty meek. Unfortunately, tire sizing isn't my strong point. Do you see any issues if I run 235/75R15s, other than about 1" bigger diameter? I'm hoping to get Goodrich All Terrains on there, or perhaps the Geolanders...
    we have one...just arrived yesterday. 4x4 LE.
    What do ya think? Is this one going to raise the bar a few notches?
  • mikejmikej Member Posts: 3
    well, I got it out and then it came back on, P020 and 030, catalyst below acceptable level. Anyone have a cure. I am spent. I keep reseting it, after a week, it comes back, same code etc. Changed plugs, still comes back... Hope to hear from someone.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Got my invitation to view for the 27th in Edmonton.

I thought we were seeing "expensive" fuel and were trying to cut back on consumption to reduce CO2 emmisions. What's with 300+ HP Terrano's, 4 L Pathfinders with 270 HP, etc? I find it funny in a "caught in the headlights" kind of way.
    definitely. the console/dash actually stayed similar in design to the old pathie. makes you feel like you know the vehicle better. i havent driven it yet, but i intend to soon.
  • kcarpenterkcarpenter Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. I drive a 2000 4x4 Pathfinder SE.

So yesterday I'm trying to troubleshoot the lights on my utility trailer, and manage to short across the contacts with a screwdriver. The Pathfinder is running at the time. A fuse(?) blows, which takes out my tail-lights and my dashboard lights.

Where is this fuse??? I've checked the fuse-block under my dashboard, and also the two blocks under the hood. Nothing is labled "tail lights" or anything remotely similar.

Can you point me towards the fuse/link/relay that will turn my dash-lights and tail-lights back on???
    This diagram is from a 97 Pathfinder.

Try the fuses labeled "room lamp" or "stop lamp" (if you have such fuses).
    235/75R15 will work fine. If you prefer a slightly larger tire, you can easily move up to 30x9.50R15 without significant consequence.
    Stock Dunlop tires were down to 1/8" above "wear bars" so I had an excuse to get rid of them (48,000 km). All this time I thought the ABS was way too sensitive. I would "buzz" through intersections on ice, even when the vehicle was new.

Put on Nokian WR (suv) stock size tires - I have a 2001 LE. Then the next day I washed the vehicle. Then on the following weekend it snowed (last Friday night)! I take full responsibility ;-). It's still snowing, BTW.

What a difference! The Nokian WRs are amazing! I have to "be crazy" to activate the ABS now (intentionally trying to lock the brakes stopping on ice). I see ice and snow on the side roads but the vehicle just stops without sliding.

These comments may be more appropriate for the "tires, tires, tires" section, but I thought other Pathfinder owners might want to know how bad the original tires really are.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That would be here: Tires, tires, tires

tidester, host
  • 03pathfinderle03pathfinderle Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone,

We're enjoying our '03 LE. A little over a month from now will mark a year since we picked it up :) It has about 32K km (~20K mi) on it now. Anyway, we'd like to get some winter rims and tires for it for better traction and mostly to protect the nice 17"s. I'm thinking 16" steel rims (alloys would be nice, but too much $$$). What size tires would work without causing any problems? I was thinking: 255/70R16, 255/65R16 265/65R16, or 245/70R16. I perfer the 255/65 choice, but 265/65 is the closest to the stock 245/65R17. If we can afford it, I'm thinking Toyo Observe snow tires, but we may have to go with something more inexpensive. Thanks in advance for any insight!
  • elchallengerelchallenger Member Posts: 3
    I would love to purchase this 01' PathFinder LE @ 108K listed for $21000 CANADIAN + taxes to be used for my family. I am very hesitant because of the listed price which sounds too good to be true though that I may be making a mistake. If I was to apply the years of depreciations it seems to be just fitting and I am not sure I hope I am right. I did some research on 01' PF vehicles all seems to be leaning on the + side. Please HELP!
    Well, just got back from the 2005 rollout party at the dealer. I'm impressed. Compared to the previous model it is quite a bit heavier (the LE weighs in at 4850 lbs or so), has more power and torque, is larger, and yet gets about 10% better mileage. No manual trans., 5 speed auto only. I like the "off road package".

I will not be buying one as my 2001 LE has lots of life left in it and I would take quite a $ hit selling it now. I'll wait till it's well over 10 years old.
    What did you think of the interior and the new 3rd row setup?
    The interiour looked fine (I know lots of people on this board like to complain about the Maxima interiour - I thought it was just fine too). The 3rd row seats were ok I guess, for children. A little too small and hard to get in/out for full size adults. To gain access you have to fold up the outside second row seats - it took a little training to get all the salesmen and customers up to speed on how to do this. You don't use the seat back lever on the bottom side of the seatback (it allows you to fold the back down), you use a release on the top of the seat back which allows the back to fold down and also releases the seat bottom so the whole folded seat and mounting bracket pivots forward. You also have to do this to access some storage compartments under the second row seats (you can't open the lids to the storage compartments unless you get the seat bracket to fold with the seat - and you can fold the seat up without folding the bracket - it had a lot of people confused for a while).

To get an idea on how much room there is, look at the 2001-2004 rear seat with the rear passenger door open. Imagine that seat back folded flat on the seat bottom and the whole thing pivoted up - it gives about 18" of space to climb up and through.

They kept saying how much larger the vehicle was than the previous model and I'm sure they are correct, but it didn't seem much bigger to me when I was looking at it and climbing in and out.

I don't know what the LE interiour will look like re electronics, all they had was an SE.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    several of the '05's on the road the last few weeks, and they're . . . huge.

I am so happy I got mine when I did. Now, if I wanted something in the same size class, I'd be looking at the underpowered Xterra, with the even more uncomfortable back seat.

I guess the new PF fills a necessary niche for Nissan. Just not for me.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    In general I LOVE the vehicle—except for the fact that the All-Mode 4WD can only be had in the premium LE model. The XE, SE, SE Off-Road can only be had with an old-fashioned part-time 4WD.

For an SUV positioned as the Pathfinder, this is a HUGE mistake. This vehicle will be compared first against the 4-Runner which offers full-time 4WD capability on all models, and second against the Explorer (which the Pathfinder used as a template for vehicle layout) which also offers on-demand full-time 4WD with its Control Trac on all models.

Nissan should discard the old part-time 4WD on all its trucks in favor of the All-Mode 4WD.

I also want to see the Navigation System offered on all models as an option, and not just on the expensive LE as an option.

Bob
    Nissan should discard the old part-time 4WD on all its trucks in favor of the All-Mode 4WD.

But then there'd be nothing to differentiate '05s from '06s... :)
    I was thrilled to see the '05 had grown in size and added the 3rd row. However, I was reading the specs at Nissan's web site and noticed that the cargo capacity with all rows folded is only 79 cu ft. If I remember correctly, my '01 has 85 cu ft(I think my '98 had the same). Is this due to the addition of the 3rd row? Love everything else about the '05, but this is kind of disappointing.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    But then there'd be nothing to differentiate '05s from '06s... :)

Well let's hope that indeed happens...

Bob
  • tonka9764tonka9764 Member Posts: 21
    Was shopping Infiniti FX and saw the new Pathie and bought it on the spot. It's an 05 LE Platinum edition. Same MSRP as an 04 FX without Nav/DVD. The Nissan has DVD and NAV.

The Pathie is awesome... great accelleration, 3rd row is nice, leather is beautiful (can you tell I'm thrilled?). But really- nothing bad to say. All the extra power and room for the same (albeit, crappy) gas mileage as my 01 Xterra.

Anyway- it's a great ride, and if you will utilize the space as I will- I can't imaging a better setup... and believe me- i have looked at everything!!

Love it, Love it.

I got $1000 off MSRP.