Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    After much wirring and buzzing with the ESM in the computer, it is a standard design chain (sales brochure claimed it was a "special design chain"). I called it a metal timing belt because that's what it replaces in common modern overhead cam engines. Older designs (Ferrari was one of the leaders) used chains. They went to belts to quiet the engine down a bit. There are actually three chains in the VQ engine, the main chain and two secondary chains. I searched for quite a while and didn't find a change interval for it, and was told it is a "lifetime part" by the folks at the dealership.

It's a rather impressive system used for overhead cams, lots of tensioners and guides. I wouldn't want to try to replace it myself!

As for the 05 high beams being a bit dim - the low beams are HID and the high beams are standard quartz halogen. It's the low cost type of "HID" headlamp used in a lot of cars - such as the RX-8, Pathfinder, Maxima, etc. Better quality HID systems have four HID bulbs in them or will shift the lamp assy to get high beam (they also have to shift the reflector a bit to change the pattern for high beam). Using four HID bulbs is rather expensive as you need four ballasts or special two bulb ballasts.
  • wonderfullwonderfull Member Posts: 15
    I feel that the rear legroom on 05 Pathfinder to be inadequate. Any opinion/experience?

GB
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Just got to my manual & it seems I was wrong the other day about the timing chain/belt. On the 2001 PF there is a timing chain & the manual doesn't mention a replacement schedule. The older 3.3 liter engine does have a timing belt & it calls for it to be replaced at 105,000.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    i have an opinion, but it doesnt agree with yours...lol.

if you need adult legroom in the back of an SUV, the pathfinder/explorer/pilot/trailblazer will not do what you need...get a full-size.

the back seat of a mid-sized SUV is for the occasional adult rider, or children. nothing more.
  • sitara24sitara24 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for an in-depth analysis. What grade of gas are you using?
  • wonderfullwonderfull Member Posts: 15
    Point noted...

Rear legroom on the 05 PF is 34.5 inches, the legroom on other models ranges from 36.5-38.5 inches.

The point is that Mid-size SUVs with support for up to 7 passengers have inadequate Rear legroom.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    That is why I'm hoping the '05 Xterra will have a little more 2nd row leg room, since 3rd row is not a big deal for me.

Too back Nissan didn't setup the 2nd row on the PF to move back & fore like the Pilot.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    That I forgot about last week. An '02-04 Infiniti QX4. I found a couple when I was looking for not much more than the Pathfinder. I think you get all of the goodies on the LE, plus the HID headlights.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Thanks! I actually found a nice QX4 the other day, but didn't inquire any further on it. Not sure if it's even still there.

I work in the film industry in NC, and I have a big job coming up somewhere around the April/May/June time period, so unless the Explorer (which looks great now that I washed it, that burnt orange paint and chrome wheels just glisten) incurrs other problems before then, I'll at least wait until after the film to trade. At least then I'll have it paid up a bit more, and will have some decent $$$ for a downpayment.

Thanks for the info! You read my mind!
    The QX4 has plastic body side molding, wood console and dash covering, and the HID headlamps (low beam only). Also three spoke 17" wheels, different front grill and rear trim. Other than that the QX4 and LE Pathfinder are the same vehicle. Moving "down" from the LE, Pathfinder SE can have all but the running boards (door sill protection tubes instead), though usually also doen't get the automatic climate control (rarish option). The SE is also rarly available with standard transmission and leather seating. The XE will not have the auto climate control and leather seating. It's more common to find manual transmissions on the XE than the other versions.

There are other minor differences such as 7 way adjustable drivers seat, built in Homelink remote and visor illumination, but they are minor enhancements standard in the QX4 and LE that may not appear in the SE and XE.
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    I took delivery of my 03 PF in April of 2003. Every fill-up has been documented. Fuel mileage is a hot topic, so here are some numbers:

2003 (only 8 months ownership)

Total km's driven: 7402km

Total cost of fuel: $691.03 CDN

Average price per litre: 68.4 cents

Average cost per fill-up: $38.39

Average L/100km: 14.20

Average MPG: 20.12

Total km's driven: 8691 km

Total cost of fuel: $1,130.23 CDN

Average price per litre: 77.2 cents

Average cost per fill-up: $45.21

Average L/100km: 16.90

Avrage MPG: 16.97

All fill-ups were regular grade, 87 octane, and up to full tank (when the pump handle stops on its own) no rounding up to the next dollar. You have to be consistent, no $5 quick fills or filling up half tanks when prices drop. The decrease in 2004's mileage is due to more city and shorter drives than 2003. Once you start collecting this type of info, it's amazing what kinds of stats you can come up with. For example: 2004 had 366 days, divided by 25 fill-ups at the gas station equals 14.64 days of driving per full tank. May sound like a silly number, but some people fill up their suv's 2, or even 3 times a week. I hope this info is useful for current owners or those wishing to make their next vehicle a Pathfinder.
  • calgaryphilcalgaryphil Member Posts: 17
    Good to see someone else is collecting the same numbers as me (you wouldn't happen to be an engineer...like me, would you?). I'm also getting between 16.5 and 17 l/100km per tank using PREMIUM unleaded. All city driving. As much as I like this engine, I think this mileage is brutal.

I'm looking at trading up to an '05 BMW X5 with the new 4.4l V8. One thing I noted about it compared to the PF (besides price...) is that it has considerably more HP (315), torque (324) and better 0-60 stats, yet it also gets much better city/highway mileage (14.8/9.9 l/100km). I think that the V6 in the PF, although a great engine is simply undersized for the weight of the vehicle, and the 4-speed tranny is also sub-optimal.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Can somebody with a 2001 PF please look at their heated seat switches at night & tell me if the switches are lighted. I know the orange light comes on when you turn on the switch, but one day I noticed the switches aren't lighted like most of the other switches & can't remember if they ever were before. Thanks...
  • nittanylionnittanylion Member Posts: 14
    I am in the market for a new SUV. I am considering the '05 4Runner verses the '05 Pathfinder. I would like to have a navigation unit. Does anyone know where I can get comparison information or specs on the navigation systems in these 2 vehicles? Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's our comparison link:

Vehicle Comparison

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve,

However, the comparison site does not compare the specific features of these two navigation units, just indicates that they both have one as an option. How can I find out who makes them, what software integration/application company and feature differences between the two systems? Is this information available? Thanks!
    That'll take some digging. Sometimes it's hard to find supplier info without taking the NAV/DVD/CD whatever out of the car and looking at the label that may or may not be stuck on the gizmo.

Ok owners, it's up to you.

Steve, Host
  • bksanzbksanz Member Posts: 3
    I visited my local dealer and took a liking to the new Pathfinder LE (complete with nice extras-like leather and DVD).

I need imput on this vehicle. They wanted to lease it to me for $379 pr. mo. with $1,000 down (plus taxes, reg. etc.), but the only sticking point was the annual mileage. They let me walk because they wouldn't budge on the annual mileage allotment (stuck at 10K per year).

Can anyone else give their imput (re:prices, deals, etc.)that they got on they're recent leases of the 05' Pathfinder LE with all the bells and whistles-including leather and DVD.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    So why couldn't you buy the miles in advance ? I thought you always have the option to do that.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Not sure why they wouldn't budge on the mileage. We've leased a total of 4 Nissans - 2 PF, Sentra, and Altima. We've always had a choice of mileage limits. Maybe the dealer likes to get the lease returns back with low miles so they have higher resale. Although the finance guy told me NMAC won't let dealers buy the lease returns from them - they go straight to auction. That was 2 years ago so maybe that's changed.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I'm looking to buy an SUV this year.

I'm also looking for some more feedback on the new 05 PF.

Thanks.
  • gutenguten Member Posts: 3
    Is the current Pathfinder factory lease a good deal?

On their website SE 4x2 $319 for 39 months $1,999 down. Same as above but 4x4 $339. I thought they had a better deal last month, but this seems pretty good to me.
    Check in Nissan Pathfinder: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too. And you may want to skim the Lease Questions - Ask Here forum as well.

Steve, Host
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    is the 05 pathfinder nav system only avaialable on the LE model? according to edmunds it is only avaialable on the LE..what is the difference in the SE off road and the SE model
    For anyone interested, information on the Pathfinder Navigation software can be found at www.zenrin.com This is the company that makes the software for Nissan and Infinity. I have heard that you cannot look up information such as upcoming gas stations or restaurants on the pathy nav unit while it is moving. You have to pull over. If you have the '05, with nav., is this correct? Anyone have the company name that does the software for Toyota? Thanks,
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    Smokey,I have a 2002 LE with heated seats and the switches DO NOT lite up with the headlights on.I think they should lite up along with the steering wheel cruise and audio controls,(they do not.)Brisoup.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Smokey, I have an '01 PF LE, and mine is the same as Brisoup's (see post #7712 above).
    My "Service Engine Soon" light has been on for a long time, and I finally had it taken care of at the local Nissan dealer yesterday. Two of the stored codes (P0420 and P0430)indicated that the two catalytic converters had failed. The service writer told me that Nissan issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about this. He suggested before replacing the converters at $900 each, that they try updating the calibration on the engine computer (ECM) pursuant to the TSB, but that it would cost me $165. The good news is that the repair is apparently successful. But after the work was complete, I asked the Service Writer why it would not be covered under warranty given that obviously the computer on my car was incorrectly callibrated since the day it was new. He told me that it was warrantied for 80K miles because it is a pollution control device, but since my truck has 87K miles on it they would not cover it. That makes no sense to me. Given that the calibration of the computer was defective from the factory, the update should be covered under warranty irrespective of the age or mileage on the car. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.
    There was also another stored code (P1140) indicating that the Intake Timing Sensor had failed. The dealer replaced the sensor at a cost of $316. Based on past posts this is a very common problem with this vehicle, but this is the second time I've had to have the same part replaced (at my expense). The first replacement was only 27K miles ago. The service writer admitted that the sensor is a common problem, but told me the prior repair was warrantied for only 12K miles, and that he had never seen a replacement sensor fail. Given that the problem is so widespread, one would expect Nissan to extend the warranty on this item. Has anybody heard anything about an extended warranty, or has anyone had this part covered under the pollution control warranty? (If yes, at least I can get reimbursed for the first one). Once again, thanks in advance for your help.
    Which is better, Meguiars clay bar or Mothers version of the clay bar. I have Meguiars and find that you have to flatten the clay as much as possible to make the most contact with the paint surface, or I end up with brown spots (contact) and clean spots (no contact) on the clay. May consider switching to Mothers. I have many Meguiars products, wax, swirl remover, wash soap and an appropriate wash brush, followed by a new chamois. Unfortunately, I havent't had the chance to wax my PF (less than two years old) and, of course, swirl marks all over it from the first time I washed the car (black paint). Not the mention the abuse that a snow brush does to the clear coat. So much for 'durable' clear coat.

Also, what is the best way to remove bird do-do between car washings ? I was thinking of keeping a spray bottle with water and auto soap to spray the poop, but may not work so well in the winter. Any other suggestions ?

HOSTS:

I posted this message in the Auto Detailing forum, but no replies. With only 13 posts there, it's not very 'detailed', there's way more action here.
    all seem to be the same to me. I currently use the Zaino one. Yes, if you want full contact you have to flatten the bar. You are supposed to be folding the dirt it collects into the interior of it as well by folding it in half and flattening it back out. Be sure to use a car wash soap solution to lub. the bar when you use it. Spray it on the car then pass the bar over the srayed area.

Swirl marks - Any time you touch the vehicle you put minute scratches in the paint/clear coat - literally. To reduce the visibility of these, always wipe the vehicle fore/aft on horizontal surfaces and up/down on vertical surfaces. This way the tiny scratches are hard to see. If you wipe in circles you can see them from any angle.

The swirl marks you now have can be hidden by using Zaino Z5. It fills the tiny scratches and optically hides them.

Your sray bottle for between washing bird crap is a good idea. If you mix a 50/50 solution of water/auto soap and isopropyl alchohol you can use it in winter.
    I think mine was a Mother's; I'm due for a new one, and they aren't all that common on the shelves around here.

Check the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion instead of the detailing one. They know clay over there (as do the Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2) folks).

Steve, Host
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    Anyone know if the '05 Pathfinder is built in TN or Mississippi?

Thanks.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Smyrna, TN
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    We empathize with your frustration with DTC SES lights. Refer to www.nissanhelp.com for TSB documents and specs. Good luck!

I had the IVTC/O2 sensors DTC and it went away in about 3 weeks. No doubt it will come back again with the right trigger conditions but I will not do anything until it stays on for at least a month or there are sure signs of a problem.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have the Nav in an FX35. You can not program a destination while in motion. But if you use thoe route button you can see upcoming ATM's, Resturants and Hotel's while in motion. There is also a known hack to allow full nav access while driving but you have to be willing to splice some wires and I am not sure if it will work on a 05 vehicle.
    Thanks clpurnell. I want a nav system and I have decided on the '05 Pathfinder. I have looked at after market but like the look of the dask with nav. So, I faxed three dealerships today with an offer. We will see what comes back from them!
  • clickagent75clickagent75 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing an 01 or 02 PF. I know the LE is the top model for the PF. But what about XE & SE? Which is better? And what's the difference?

Thanks
  • clickagent75clickagent75 Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the market for a used 2000/2001 PF and was wondering about reliability?

What are the common complaints for PFs in the 2000/2001 years?

Should I purchase an extended warranty (if its still available)?
    i have 01 LE with troublefree 54K miles. Just basic maintanence and that's it. solid build and reliability. Great quality, fit and finish.

no complaints except for infrequent service lights which go away for me. 2001 has the new 3.5 V6 which I recommend. It is a blast to drive. way better than same year domestics and even toyota IMHO. toyota has better quality, fit and finish but 3.5 V6 on Nissan blows it away and it is less expensive comparitively.

Minor problems: CD changer went out (covered under warranty), battery changed, rear suspension bottoms out (fixed for free), and infrequent SES light due to ECM sensiitivity. Very slight rattle in center dash but solid all around.

Only real complaint is narrow rear doors openings but reclining rear seat makes up for it.

Good ride, performace, cornering, braking, and lots of extra standard goodies on LE model. Good design inside and out.
    lbinh:

Could you elaborate on the rattle. I've noticed something similar and I have narrowed it down to the vent in the front windshield defroster, there two plastic inserts that diffuse the air across the bottom of the window and have noticed that they do not fit snugly and therefore, they rattle a bit. See if yours move when you try and move them with your hand. It was more noticeable during the summer, and had forgotten about it until you just mentioned it.

pathstar1:

Thanks for your input on the clay bars. I'll have to wait until the summer if I want to buy & try Mothers clay bar.

calgaryphil:

I'm not an engineer, just someone who took the time to input every fill-up into a simple spreadsheet. Once you have one gas receipt, the calculations are all the same.
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    Had the same problem, took quite a time to find the rattle. The vent rattle can be stopped if you push on the leading edge in the center of the vent, it actually clicks down and holds the vent tight. Try not to notice the slight curve!
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I had the same rattle on my 00 RX300. I stuck in some soft sponge along the gap. Problem solved. Already forgot it until I saw this discussion.
    I have an '01 LE 2 wheel drive. I have almost 85,000 Miles...trouble free miles! It has been a great vehicle. I just purchased an '05 LE today and we will also continue to drive the '01.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I have a feeling you won't be having the same luck with the 2005, since it's a first year model. Good luck though! Keep us posted on how it does.
    pathological:

I think my rattle is different then yours but similar to others on this board. My rattle is the wood tone trim piece right above the clock on 2001 LEs. If pressed firmly it stops the rattle. Mine ironically happens when it gets colder and goes away when it gets hotter in summertime. Not sure now though, seems to rattle when driving hot or cold temps outside??..

I will try to press harder on trim piece (right above the digital clock in center dash) to see if it locks in tighter as suggested on this topic.

About the Clay bars, Clay Magic brand works wonders and it cost about 50% less the Mothers clay bar ($19). $9-$12 at Autozone in Houston.
    deebardac:

Can you elaborate on where to press harder for center vent rattle? I don't want to cause another rattle if I break something.... : P

Thanks...
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    We are talking here of the drivers side defroster vent on a 2001 LE.

I pulled out the vent grille with the intention of placing some rubber pads underneath but there is not much edge, mostly hole. Annoyingly one of the pieces fell down the vent before the glue set up. So I gave up on that and replaced the grille, as I pressed it into place I noticed that if I pushed halfway along the front edge nearest the windshield the grille at that point lowered about an eighth of an inch and locked in that position. There is a slight curve in the grille but I did this six months ago and it stayed in place, no rattle.
  • joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    "I'm in the market for a used 2000/2001 PF and was wondering about reliability?"

40,000 trouble free miles on my 01 LE. In fact, I'm afraid to replace it (need 3rd row seats now) because I doubt I'd find something as good. I'm going to hold off until mid 05 to see how the new Pathys fair in the reliability dept. I'm also considering the Ford Freestyle (has everything I need) but I think I'm kidding myself in thinking that a first model year Ford would be any better than a first model year Nissan.

• sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    i bought a 02 le it has been so troublefree i am almosot t0 buy an 05