Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    mermmd2mermmd2 Member Posts: 2
    are you by any chance living near Houston and your dealership is located there too? your dealers service dept seem nice and accomodating.
    my dealership sucks. have the same problem with the squeaking sound on the passenger side and passenger side dash and told me they cannot pinpoint exact location and bring it back when the noise becomes louder.
  • Options
    dnadna Member Posts: 1
    I have a rattle problem that is exactly the same as sigb52 (#7935). The Nissan technician used a microphone and pinpointed the exact same place as described by sigb52 (area where the firewall and two other panels come together). I also feel the same way as sigb52. Drilling or using a blowtorch to take apart a welded piece raises serious safety concerns. On a positive note, my Nissan dealership has been very honest and informative about the problem. They are trying to work with Nissan engineers to solve this problem.
  • Options
    05pathfinderse05pathfinderse Member Posts: 7
    Thanks so much for the info! Thanks to dna as well. I just picked up my pathfinder from service today. The report states that the tech found some part of the glove compartment door was in contact with the rest of the dash. They insulated the area. The rattle seemed much improved after leaving the lot, but by the time I got home (20 minutes) it was as loud as ever. The rattle seems to take some time to appear after the car has been sitting. It also intensifies when coasting or applying brakes. Sounds like a loud tapping noise. Is this similar to what you are experiencing? I am just about ready to bring it to another dealer (4th time in for rattles). I am going back this afternoon and insisting that one of the techs take a ride with me so I can point out the noise. These rattles and are driving me crazy! I hope your situations work out well. Please let me know how it turns out.
  • Options
    dannymandannyman Member Posts: 5
    yes run.....never pay destination. i neverr did... at the end they always took it off when i asked them to
  • Options
    bobster2bobster2 Member Posts: 5
    Can anybody enlighten me as to what the no charge "patrol package" is that came on my new PF?
  • Options
    prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    I believe it is the first aid kit in the back door.
  • Options
    corn143corn143 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if it is difficult to replace the water pump on a 97 Pathfinder? I noticed the part only costs $80, but the garage is charging $400.
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    That sounds about right. Replacing the water pump requires draining the engine coolant, removing the upper radiator hose, removing the fan and shroud, all of the drive belts, the crankshaft pulley, and the timing belt cover. The water pump costs between $75-$100 depending on where it's purchased.

How many miles are on your truck? The timing belt should be replaced every 105,000 miles. While the shop is replacing the water pump, you should consider having the timing belt, crankshaft and camshaft seals, and timing belt tensioner replaced as well, since the extra labor to do so is minimal. If the timing belt breaks, your engine will be severely damaged.
  • Options
    gf2005pathfindgf2005pathfind Member Posts: 2
    You've described exactly the symptoms i am having with my 2005 Pathfinder SE. The undercarriage squeak is driving me crazy! Not to mention the other random rattles and squeaks that appear and go away now and then. My main concern is the undercarriage squeaking/rattling. Has anyone discovered a solution for this issue?
  • Options
    rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    I just want to up date every body about my experience with PF se 2WD. I have it since 2003, currently I have 32000 miles on it. Never been happier with any thing else in my life. No problem what so ever except a rattling comes from dash once in a blue moon, I do not want dealer to mass with it. Unlike my honda I did not have to fight,and deal with rude customer service. And take my car to the dealer to fix it. :)
  • Options
    opie1976opie1976 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE. I have found that during heavy rains, there is a leak in the roof somewhere and water drips in from the passenger side through the handle above the window. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I have not taken it to the dealer yet. It will be going soon. I would like some level of information if possible prior to taking it in.

It seems to me that there's a seal in the Roof Rack that is bad somewhere.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    There are two clear plastic drain hoses for the sunroof cavity. They know they can't perfectly seal the sunroof to the body, so they make the cavity a water drain system. I suspect at least one of your drain hoses is plugged or otherwise damaged.
  • Options
    pathyman87pathyman87 Member Posts: 2
    HI, I have a 87 pathy V6 manual, and i have been having way too many problems with the secondary injection system, it idles fine, but when you drive it, it feels like it is being held back. I have replaced all of the rubber tubes because they have blown, and I have changed the filter. What am i missing? Is there a typical problem with this system? Can I cut off the system and change the cat? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Check out the fuel pump. It's getting old, and may not be keeping up. Also, there is a filter on the output of the pump, a screen type filter that is part of the pump in the fuel tank. If it's plugged it's usually a sign that the fuel pump needs to be replaced - it plugs with fuel pump debris. You can put a temporary fuel pressure gauge in the fuel line and run the pump through a restriction into a bucket to see what the flow rate is and what the pressure is. Be careful - fuel is flamable and fuel vapour is explosive! If you replaced the external fuel filter it's too late to examine it - if not it is an excellant place to look for fuel pump debris without having to remove the pump.
  • Options
    scottoglescottogle Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an '05 LE 4x4. Nice truck. The only thing bugging me so far is I can't find the dimmer switch for the dash lights. Is there one? I've looked in the manual for info and haven't found it.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    scottoglescottogle Member Posts: 2
    Found it. It's odometer re-set button. It turns to dim or brighten the dash lights.
  • Options
    vapathfindervapathfinder Member Posts: 1
    I have the identical problem with my 2001 Pathfinder LE. Did Nissan tell you about a defect or anything? Have you had it repaired? My guess is that this is a defect that needs to be paid for by Nissan.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Want some wallpaper for your monitor? (scroll down to the bottom right).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    archimedesarchimedes Member Posts: 16
    I'm thinking of putting an lsd in my 2001 2wd QX4. Anyone have any experience or opinion regarding how much this will help? I live in north Florida, so 4wd is not critical. I would just be looking to get a little better manueverability when driving on sand, wet grass, or dirt. Have read mixed opinions. Some feel that open differentials are fine, and some that the lsd gives you just the amount of added traction needed.

Also, I've gotten mixed input on cost. The lsd from infiniti, or even an after market original parts outfit will cost around $1000 or more, then about $200 to install. For that price, I could go through 2 sets of all terrain tires, possibly a better way to go. But, I also found an online vendor (won't mention name) that has an lsd for the pathfinder (mechanically idential to Q) for $400. Haven't been able to get the low-down on differences in quality, workmanship, etc. Is it just the name I pay for when getting the infiniti part, or a substantial quality improvement? My goal is to have an SUV that is a great commuter car (well, gas mileage is ... OK) but is also a great vehicle for camping, kayaking and other excursions that could involve moderate off-road use. My suspicion is that I can achieve this goal by putting on a good set of all-terrain tires and possibly an lsd or locking differential. And, considering I'm in Florida, that may suit my purpose just as well as a 4wd would. Obviously, I don't want to put an unjustified sum of money into a car that maybe will be better off traded within the next 5 years. OTOH, one of these QX4s could be a vehicle that would go to 300-400K miles. I already have 120K on mine.

thanks for any input,
    Stan
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the LSD for your application. Your QX4 already has all-mode 4WD, which essentially is AWD. The LSD isn't that strong, either. It does provide a low level of traction to the slipping wheel, but not enough if the traction difference between both rear wheels is high (i.e. ice vs. pavement).

If it were my truck and my wallet, I would choose better tires before installing an LSD. (Plus, adding the LSD will not significantly improve its resale value much, if any; and certainly not the $600-$1200 you'll spend to add it.) The Pathfinder and QX4 LSD's (and entire drivetrain, for that matter) are identical, so you needn't worry about quality, durability, etc. You're paying extra for the "luxury badge" and the upgraded interior niceties and Inifiniti's customer service.

FWIW, if you do find that lack of traction is a frequent problem on the terrain you traverse, even in 4WD, the best (and only) option is to install a rear locking differential. Repost if you're serious about doing this.
  • Options
    bolucaboluca Member Posts: 32
    He stated his QX4 has 2WD and not 4WD.
    In my opinion I would go with the LSD if you could find it for $500 or so. It wouldn't be worth $1000 to me. I have had it on performance vehicles before and on almost every 4WD vehicle I have owned. It should help on wet grass and sand but I wouldn't go in any deep sand with your vehicle.
  • Options
    He stated his QX4 has 2WD and not 4WD.

OOPS! My bad! :blush:
  • Options
    finn1finn1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Pathfinder. We just replaced the timming belt and set the timming. Ran well for about a week, then died. Opened it up again and found the belt had spun at the crank and lost all the teeth on the belt.
    Removed the right valve cover and saw the cam had broken in two pieces. Any idea what may have caused this? Got the seal and the first small section of the cam out, but cannot get the remaining section out. Is there something that holds the cam in?
  • Options
    If the cam broke while the engine was running you'd better pull the head. It's probable valves have hit pistons.
  • Options
    Pull both heads, for that matter. If the timing belt broke, all of the valves stopped moving in time with the pistons.
  • Options
    Can anybody tell me what type of center differential the new Pathfinder has?
  • Options
    It doesn't have a centre diff. It uses a multiplate clutch when in "all mode". If the rear wheels slip the clutch plates are pressed together hydraulically and drive the front wheels. If you switch it into full time four wheel drive the front and rear axles are "locked" together through the transfer case.
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    tredntredn Member Posts: 2
    Had same annoying squeak. Have had Le model for almost 1 year. In shop 7 times just for this one squeak. I found my issue and let Nissan know.

About two inches in on either side of the top of the Rad is a 2 inch wide bracket holding it in place. These brackets each have 2 1/4inch high ribs. One from each side is rubbing directly against a plastic rivet that is under the hood holding in place a long strip of rubber in turn holding some spnge material to insulate or protect the front underside of the hood. I just place 2 small sponges over the brackets on the Rad and the squeaking went away.
  • Options
    01pf_se01pf_se Member Posts: 10
    i was just wondering who has the most mileage on a 2001 or newer pathfinder with an automatic tranny. my 01 SE has 65,600 miles automatic tranny
  • Options
    mikk19mikk19 Member Posts: 2
    someone please help me, i'm trying to change a flat, on a 95 pathy se, my manual says to put it in 2h, 4h, or 4l. i bought this used and this is my first time changign a tire. after removing the lugs, tire won't budge, any help out there? :confuse:
  • Options
    The wheels will often corrode onto the hubs. You will have to hit it alternatly on each side repeatedly. Try to strike the tire and not the rim. I start with my foot (make sure the vehicle is on jackstands and not just the jack as this action can knock it off a jack). I kick it like a mule would so I don't stain my ankle - stand with it behind you and kick back.If you can't break it loose with your foot you'll have to use a large hammer.

To prevent this in the future I like to apply a very thin film of "waterproof" grease - the type they use on boat powertrains. I smear it on the hub where the wheel contacts it - so thin there is no grease to remove - it's just there like a thin film of paint (if you put on too much it can get into places you don't want it like the brakes). If you then ensure you rotate the tires every second oil change as per the manual and keep the grease film fresh you will not have further problems.

Note that the hub does fit tightly in the hole in the centre of the wheel - this is important as it ensures the wheel is properly mounted each time (centred).
  • Options
    mikk19mikk19 Member Posts: 2
    thanks!!!!!!! i actually used a rubber mallet, lol. will take your greade method under advisement, once again THANKS!!! :)
  • Options
    01pf_se01pf_se Member Posts: 10
    anyone have a good experience with these tire in the snow or rain? i just bought my 2001 pathy SE 6 months ago and the Bridgestone Dueler HT 689 on it are brand new.i really don't want to buy new ones but..... i've read nothing but bad review after bad review about these tires.if not any recommdations on good all season tires for my pathy?? thanks
  • Options
    shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I have 99K miles on my '01 LE. Changed the trans fluid myself at 36K, and had it completely flushed at 70K. I often tow a boat and trailer with a total weight of 4500 lbs., and have had no trans problems.
  • Options
    These are the tires that originally came on my '01 LE, and I replaced them with the same exact tires at 61K miles even though I could have kept them for another 10K miles at least. I now have 38K miles on the second set and they are wearing well despite that I don't get around to rotating them as often as the owners manual calls for. I like them because they are reasonably quiet, with a reasonably smooth ride and good tread life. They seem reasonably good in the rain, and I've been in 3 feet of snow and never had a problem, although there are many other tires available for this truck with a more aggressive tread pattern for significant off road use. It's a trade off though...generally the more aggressive the tread pattern, the noisier the tire. You choice should depend on your needs. I also need to say that based on past posts there are at least several people here that vocally disliked the 689's. One other note, I bought Goodyear Forteras for my Explorer last year, and I think they are far superior to the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's that came on that truck. I know they are available for the Pathfinder, too, although based on the tread pattern, I suspect they would be noisier than the HT 689's.
  • Options
    iposaveciposavec Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have 2001 LE PF and recently I noticed a problem when trying to move the AT lever from the parking position. Usually when you start the vehicle and press a brake you hear a click in the AT which "unlocks" the lever but sometimes this is not happening.I have been to the dealer to replace a solenoid but it is still the same and there is no pattern on when an why it happens (day, night, with lights on or off etc). I would be gratefull if someone has an advice how to fix this annoying problem. Thanks :confuse:
  • Options
    mrcabinetrymrcabinetry Member Posts: 3
    I am making an inqiury into the cargo area space of this vehicle.

What I need to know is what is the width side to side and the depth from the seats to the cargo hatch.

The reason for this inquiry is a customer contacted my company to build a car audio subwoofer enclosure for the vehicle.

This customer is presently stationed in Iraq and would like the enclosure fabricated and delivered so the item will be there along with the other equipment he has ordered so it can be installed all at the same time.

Any assistance into the above mentioned inquiry would be most helpful and appreciated.

Phil
    Woodlawn Cabinetry
    www.woodlawncabinetry.com
  • Options
    The clicking is not in the transmission itself, but is the solenoid that unlocks the select lever inside your floor console. Sounds like the dealer merely replaced the solenoid rather than taking the time to diagnose the problem. Or perhaps the techician could not duplicate the problem in the shop, and thought that the most likely problem was the solenoid. You should bring it back to them and demand that they repair it properly or refund your money as the repair was not made correctly. You paid them to correct the problem, not to guess what might be wrong at your expense. Of course, the replacement solenoid could be bad, too, but that's not likely. The solenoid is powered from the same circuit as the brake lights. You might have a loose wire or short somewhere in that circuit. Sounds like the solenoid is intermittently not getting power to unlock the lever when you step on the brake pedal. When the lever won't unlock, are the brake lights working properly? That will give you a major clue as to where the problem is. One easy thing to check is to see if the fuse (see page 8-25 of your owner's manual) that controls the brake lights is loose or damaged. You also mentioned that it's VERY HARD to move the lever. Is it possible that you have damaged the lever or solenoid by trying to force it? Until the problem is permanently resolved, you should carry a flat bladed screwdriver in the truck so you can manually release the lever as shown on pages 5-12 and 5-13 of your owner's manual. Good luck, let us know what you find.
  • Options
    kipmckipmc Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a set of Goodyear Fortera Tires for my 2001 LE. This is the second set of Forteras that I've had on my Pathfinder. They have excellent traction on all surfaces, and feel like you are in a sports car when driving in the mountains. Goodyear is having a rebate on these tires between 12/26 and 1/21. This saved me an additional $40! I purchased these tires from a local discount tire company and they were much cheaper than the Goodyear shop up the street. My pathfinder came stock with 255/65/16; I moved up to a 255/70/16 and saved about $30 per tire because the 255/70/16 is more of a common size tire. The Forteras also have a 70,000 mile warranty. Excellent tire, highly recommended.
  • Options
    Wow, you are on your third set of tires? How many miles are on your truck? How many miles did you get out of your first set of Forteras? Which tires came on your truck originally? How many miles did you get out of the original tires, and how would you compare those tires to the Forteras? Do the Forteras ride as smoothly as the original tires?
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I've lubed the one propellor shaft fitting on my 2001 PF every 15,000 miles as the manual calls for. However, I'm not sure it's ever taken any grease. It seems to just squirt out around the fitting as if full. Has anyone else had this happen or is my fitting just blocked. If so, anyone know how to clear it?
  • Options
    qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    Simply out of curiosity, has anyone else received a notice from Nissan that starts out with this paragraph:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We know that towing a trailer may have been an important consideration in your vehicle's purchase. In new Titan, Armada, Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra vehicles, Nissan recently introduced enhanced electric circuitry which may further protect your vehicle from damage or fire caused by a short circuit wiring or mis-installation of trailer lighting or electrical accessories. This is to advise you that Nissan is making this production enhancement available to you free of charge so that you will have the same protection should you ever tow a trailer with a defective electrical system.
  • Options
    What year is the truck that Nissan sent the letter regarding? I have an '01 PF, and I would be very interested in this. I had an electrical problem in my boat trailer, which blew the fuse for the PF's brake lights, and caused my transmission interlock to not work. I did not receive this notice.
  • Options
    mrcabinetrymrcabinetry Member Posts: 3
    Well, I can see that this post has been sitting here awhile and no one was willing enough to even bother to respond to the post.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I found out recently ('04 PF needed collision repair a week or so ago) that they're the same between the '98 & the '04.

I may be able to help, but I'm confused. From which set of seats? The width where -- at what distance from the tailgate & at what heights (it's not straight up and down on the sides)?

With a little better definition of your problem statement, I think I can give you (& your client, thanks be to him) what is needed.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    pdkesqpdkesq Member Posts: 14
    I got this letter shortly after I bought my 05 Pathfinder (bought it in July got the letter in early September). Its just a pretty simple fix. I took it into my local Nissan dealer and they spent a few hours doing the upgrade. Easy.
  • Options
    iposaveciposavec Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I have checked the lights and they are working properly. I think you are right that the problem is somewhere in the circuit. Unlocking is always a problem when it is dark and I have my headlights on. I have a feeling that the voltage drops and then the solenoid does not unlock. How does the solenoid gets triggered? Maybe this could be a problem as well. Anyway, I am going to take it back to the shop hoping that they will find a problem.
  • Options
    The solenoid is triggered by the brake light circuit. You should hear it click any time you touch the brake pedal (mine clicks even when I accidently bump it). If you had a heavy load in that circuit it would cause a problem (perhaps a corroded lamp is shorting). It's also possible there is corrosion in the fuse box. Had a water incident recently? A more likely culprit is the battery is getting old.

Use a voltmeter and check the battery voltage when the vehicle is not running. It should read between 12.5 and 13 volts (12 V if the vehicle has been sitting for a few days). If it is around 2 volts low you have lost a cell and it's time to replace the battery. When you crank the engine with the starter the voltage shouldn't drop below 11 V. Are the battery terminals corroded? Have you checked the battery fluid level lately? I finally got tired of not being able to see the level through the case and just filled each cell to the splash preventers - they look like this - ( ) when you look into the open cell. Use distilled water. If the level is too low you loose battery capacity.

We should all be aware the 2001 model batteries are now 5 years old (they came out in late spring 2000). That is about the useful life of a lead-acid battery. I'm watching mine closely.
  • Options
    wolfie7wolfie7 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my pathfinder since August. Replaced the Mass air flow sensor, the 02 Sensors, brand new tires, synthetic oil. fixed exhaust leak. I'm getting 7 km per litre still. Please tell me this isn't the norm? :cry: I drive about 1,200 km a month and if this is my mileage I'm going to have to sell and look elsewhere. I drove a Jeep, loved it and got terrific gas mileage. I'd like to have a responsible educated guess before I take it to Nissan dealership if the mileage is an indication of problems. I contacted Nissan Canada, however they brushed me off like lint on a suit! Any suggestions or help much appreciated.