Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    XPLORER2: I'm in the Braintree area. I heard that there is a good car wash in Allston but that's kind of a hike, not to mention that I don't know where it specifically is.

I filled the tank this morning and it took 19.6 gallons of gas. I drove about 75 miles more, after the low fuel indicator came on. That means I had almost a gallon and a half left, good for at least another 20 miles.
  • looking25looking25 Member Posts: 19
    Negotiated $31,200 for loaded LE AWD @ 3.9%, everything except NAV & Ent. Pick up this weekend. Anyone use 1SourceAutoWarranty posted on edmunds or WarrantyGold.com for extended warranty for their Pathfinder. The dealer offered me $1500 for 7 year/100,000. These other 3rd party warranty companies are around $900 - any opinions on these?

Normally I would not buy an extend warranty, but when I test drove one last night (not the one I'm buying), the whole electrical system failed. None of the gauges on the dash worked at all (odometer, speedometer, gas gauge, whole 9 yards). Left us stranded on the highway.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    PFs are reliable vehicles. Sure, there will be one or two bad apples, but that's rare. Ask anyone here.

I would not buy the extended warranty... at least not for now. Most of these warranties can be purchased as long as the car is still under the orginal warranty. You don't have to buy it right away.

Here's a better idea: Take the $1500 you were going to spend/finance and put it into a CD or other investment instrument. You won't need it for three years anyway since the factory warranty lasts that long. Then if something happens to happen down the road, you'll have the cash to cover it. But the odds are you won't need to.

Just my 2-cents.
    TC
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Hi Everyone...I am very interested in buying a new Pathfinder LE, but I won't really be in the market for one until next year. I hear that Nissan is planning a complete redesign of the Pathfinder for 2002. Has anyone seen a spy photo that they can direct me to? I hear its going to be bigger than the current model, which I think is the most handsome of all the mid-size SUV's on the market. My biggest concern is that Nissan is going to bring out some new design similar to the new 2001 Frontier, which I absolutely hate.

Any news on the 2002 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • apb3apb3 Member Posts: 11
    Still haven't managed to pick up a used PF at a good price. Re the shimmy I am seeing a lot of in recent submissions. The Ottawa Citizen has an article on the PF today, gives a great review but mentions some bewares. The shimmy is listed, quote ".. a break judder or steering shimmy may be traced to excessive brake rotor thickness in one or more brakes NTB94002, feb 94..."

Does this refer to the problems you are talking about??
    Full redesign not until MY2003.

http://www.freshalloy.com/

TC

• lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Auto lamp delay is also not adjustable. Shop manual makes reference to a minimum 20 sec delay, but that's all.

And I'll mention it again for good measure. You can still go to Canada and get your loaded LE AWD for just over $28,000. Look at my post #2 above (type a "2" in the "Go To" box at the top left of this page.

-Jon.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...but I would like to invite you to the new Nissan Pathfinder Club, which is on the Owner's Clubs Board. When you have an opportunity, stop by, introduce yourself, and let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club's folder.

For your convenience, this discussion will also reside in the Club folder.

Hope to see you there soon!

KarenS

Owner's Club Host

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    and visit the Nissan Pathfinder Club. Thanks to our gracious host, KarenS.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I don't know if it's just mine, but the tank is listed at holding 80 litres. When I fill it I get about 65 litres in and the nossle cuts off. If I'm really patient, I can -slowly- add the remaining 15 litres (that's almost 4 US gallons for you mericans ;-). That's a pretty large "expansion area". I plan on trying to fix this so I can fill it right up. Expansion has never been an issue when I'm on a highway trip. That's when you need the 80 litre capacity! Anyone else troubled by this?
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    how fast you till up the tank has a something to do with how much you can fit into to your tank. the faster you fill, the more "expansion" you'll seem to have.

-kj
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Links are very tricky here on WebX. Karen's link will let folks arrive there still logged in. I think yours will take them there but also log them out.

Take a look at how Karen did hers - let me know if you have any questions.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I didn't make this very clear before....this particular discussion will always reside on the SUV board. You will not be taken away from here! One of the cool features of this software is that a discussion can "live" in more than one place.

Hope that clears up any questions!

KarenS
    Owner's Club Host
  • pat01pat01 Member Posts: 23
    Loboy, make sure your installed new windshield still contains the Diversity antenna.

Looking25, I am very interested in where you test drove a vehicle with a faulty electrical system. My PF AWD LE was returned to me on Monday after 59 days in the shop for the same problem in Madison, WI at Kayser Nissan. I was told that they finally swapped out the circuit board on my vehicle with one off the lot. Were you really left stranded? Has anyone else ever had or heard of this problem?
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    I was just thinking about it as I was driving home last night but thanks for the reminder. Do you know if there are any connections that need to be made or just open contacts with the vehicle for grounding?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi, folks...picked up an LE w/all but Nav/Ent for 31,500 here on LI, NY this evening. So far, all is great, will be spending some time w/the manual tomorrow. Thanks to all on this list that helped me with info & advice. See you in the NPC (Nissan Pathfinder Club)...and here, too, I guess.
  • raymondmraymondm Member Posts: 6
    I leased the 1999.5 SE. It currently has 26k miles. Most of my driving is highway. The roads are pretty good. Couldn't get rid of the shimmy. They even measured my vehicle. Steering did improve when they replaced a worn steering knuckle, but the shimmy came back. It does't matter, Nissan is taking it back. I'm going to miss it, but based upon other reports that I have seen in NHTSA, I'm probably better off with another type of vehicle.
  • songxusongxu Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone:

I have been a frequent readers of the pathfinder message board, this is my first time to post. I have a 1996 black Nissan Pathfinder that I purchased used one year ago. Great SUV, very very comfortable for long trips. I put 30,000 miles last year, love the low speed torque of the engine. The looking of the PF is great, I love it and I would like to keep it for another 10 years (if possible). However, I notice that the PF suspension is not very robust. First repair was 6 month ago. THe suspension developed a rattle sound when hit even a very small bump or road up and down. The dealer changed a part I remember called "swing bar" (I may be wrong on the name". The PF develope another very light rattle sound 2 months later. Busy on work, I did not pay attention. 2 month ago, the PF drifts on high way speed, when cold, it drift to the left, after more than 20 miles, it drift to the right, need frequent correction on the steering. And the direction of the car also feel not "self correct". So need full alert in steering. The feeling is subtle, but noticable in compare to my company car Ford Explorer. I had the local repair shop did a tire rotation and 4 wheel alighment. Feels better, after that. However, after 2 weeks, the PF feels drifting again. It does not bother me if driving on local, but a 50 mile freeway trip is tireson. So everyday, my wife does not like the PF and fights to drive my Explorer. I need your input, what seems wrong, and if I bring the PF to a dealer, what should I expect.

THank you guys.
  • songxusongxu Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone:

I have been a frequent readers of the pathfinder message board, this is my first time to post. I have a 1996 black Nissan Pathfinder that I purchased used one year ago. Great SUV, very very comfortable for long trips. I put 30,000 miles last year, love the low speed torque of the engine. The looking of the PF is great, I love it and I would like to keep it for another 10 years (if possible). However, I notice that the PF suspension is not very robust. First repair was 6 month ago. THe suspension developed a rattle sound when hit even a very small bump or road up and down. The dealer changed a part I remember called "swing bar" (I may be wrong on the name". The PF develope another very light rattle sound 2 months later. Busy on work, I did not pay attention. 2 month ago, the PF drifts on high way speed, when cold, it drift to the left, after more than 20 miles, it drift to the right, need frequent correction on the steering. And the direction of the car also feel not "self correct". So need full alert in steering. The feeling is subtle, but noticable in compare to my company car Ford Explorer. I had the local repair shop did a tire rotation and 4 wheel alighment. Feels better, after that. However, after 2 weeks, the PF feels drifting again. It does not bother me if driving on local, but a 50 mile freeway trip is tireson. So everyday, my wife does not like the PF and fights to drive my Explorer. I need your input, what seems wrong, and if I bring the PF to a dealer, what should I expect.

THank you guys.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    I got the bad info that the nav system was non gps from the sales guy! He also sells VW's, and Isuzu's in a kind of auto outlet mall setup. He seems to be a lot more on top of the VW stuff than Nissan's, but he doesn't BS me on the price so I deal with it. I kind of thought $1999 was an aweful lot of money for a nav system if it didn't have gps to track your position. I just assumed it was GPS until he told me it wasn't. Now you have tempted me again, but I will probably have to refrain. Thanks for clearing that up as I would hate to stear others wrong. Only a few more days until we pick ours up!
  • stevinwshingtnstevinwshingtn Member Posts: 23
    Pathstar,
    I had the same question a while ago. I noticed almost the exact same thing when filling the tank. The filler would shut off but I could get 2 or 3 gallons in after that if I was patient. I am lucky to get 300 miles on a tank so it has been a bit of a concern. If you don't know how much gas you start with it is a little risky to stretch the range to the limit. I overfilled it once and I really don't like to do that for the obvious reasons but with the realtively short range I want to get the tank full. I haven't figured out how much useable fuel the tank really holds. I've never gotten more than 18.8 gallons in it and that was the time I overfilled it. The light had been on for about 40 miles at that point. I would like to know when the low fuel light is supposed to come on and how accurate and repeatable it is. I would also like to know how much of the 21 gallons of fuel is usable and if that includes the expansion area. Maybe there is a bright person out there who has figured this out for us!
  • loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    Well, getting the windshield replaced as I am typing this. Hope all goes well. There IS a connector for the diversity antenna. Also, got a chance to wash the PF last night. I wanted to hand wash it but ran out of daylight. I brought it to one of those expensive machine car washes and everything seemed fine. But for $10 a pop just washing the exterior, I think I'll wash on my own from now on. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but it was hard standing there watching it go through the line and thinking the improperable. If anything should happen to my PF it will be because I did it! :) UPDATE: Windshield finished. My PF looks great again.

li_sailor: Congratulations on your LE. That seems to be a reasonable price.
  • jayson4jayson4 Member Posts: 5
    just wondering... is this site in canadian prices???
    Canadian prices??? uh...no - that would have been a heck of a deal I got, then, eh? My price (don't know if you meant mine) was US$.

So, a coupla things to report - my tires are Dunlop TG35 Grand Trek, not the usual Bridgestone Duelers...can anyone tell me how these compare? There's no shimmy that I can detect, up to 65mph. Everything seems perfect so far (knock on leather)...real happy with the drive, coming from an Integra, I think that's pretty good. No rattles, sound system is great. This is quite a vehicle.
    Yup, folks don't exaggerate when it comes to the PF, it's well built and quality. The American Big 3 could learn a lot from it.

The best part about owning a LE w/leather, etc. is that you get to laugh at QX4 owners on the road for spending $4000 extra for essentially the same vehicle.

Enjoy!

TC
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    I have the same tires on my 2001 PF LE. No trouble up to 65 and above.
    These tires have a good tread-wear code also I think about 300. I have driven
    mostly in snow and ice they work good in both. Be careful with
    the LSD because when 1 tire breaks loose they both break loose and the
    back end will overtake the front end real quick. The next time I purchase
    a SUV it will not have a LSD. I might change this one if I keep it. Has
    the problem with the shimmy been resolved or does any body know for
    sure what causes it? Cheers
    Thanks, TonyC...yeah, I'm pretty happy with the PF. How's the Lexus? Are you & your better half both happy with it?

Meca2...thanks...haven't had a chance to look up the tires, so I'm glad to hear they're decent ones...ride seems pretty smooth - it's not that cushy but I didn't want it soft...I like a tight responsive feel and it seems that that's what I've got.
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    When the lease on my 96 Pathfinder was up I ended up with a new QX-4 for what I considered to be very little more money. Aside from the more distinctive looks of the QX-4 you get a very sophisticated full time all wheel drive system as opposed to the shift on the fly on the Pathfinder. You also get 4 years of bumper to bumper warranty coverage as opposed to 3. When you bring your vehicle in for service you also get a loner car(very important to me}. When you pick up your car it has been washed and vacuumed. There is no comparison between the service at an Infiniti dealer and a Nissan dealer. Drive a QX-4 and see how much more quietly it rides than the Pathfinder. I tend to laugh at the Pathfinder owners, as I feel I got better value this time around with the Q.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Its interesting that you bring this up...I'm in the market for a mid size SUV and realize that the QX4 and Pathfinder are essentially the same vehicle.....I think the Pathfinders style fits my idea of attractive over the QX4. It is just too funky looking to me...it reminds me of all the Honda Civics/Accords/Integras you see the teenagers adding cladding and lights/lenses to...they've taken an attractive design and put way too much make up on it....

I'd love to have the Infinity service though...I'll keep looking @ one to see if I can get past my impression....I think for 2001 you can get a 2 wheel drive QX4...
  • gottriagottria Member Posts: 13
    So when I buy my new PF I want the trailer hitch on it so the dealer threw it in the deal. I go to have it installed on the apointment they give me. I show up a week later, drive 60 miles, and they tell me the hitch is back ordered. No phone calls not carp. After talking with the manager they fill up my gas tank and I'm OK. They will call me when the hitch arrives. A month later I call to see what the beck is going on, "We called you on the 29 of December to tell you it's in. They called the wrong number. So I make an appointment for Saturday and I drop it off, it should be ready by 1:00PM says the advisor. I get a call at 3:30 and he informs me that they can't figure out how to run the wiring for the lights. WHAT??? Aren't you a Nissan Service kept??? "Well with this new body style we can't figure out where the wires go." Isn't the same body style as last years model?

SoI take the harness and I will do it my self.
    I think I will avoid Country Nissan in Manteca for future service.
    Don't want to get into any SUV wars, here :-), but I also don't want any casual visitor to get the wrong idea...the PF LE comes with the same auto 4WD system that the QX4 has. AFAIK, the only real differences are the styling and better B2B warranty (1 more year, powertrain the same 5yrs). The suspension is the same...why would it be quieter? Maybe more insulation? Just curious...I was already stretched on the $ on the LE but in any case, IMO, 1 year on the warranty wasn't worth 4K (I don't like the look of the QX4, btw, but that's my pref...I thought the SE looked better than the LE also...but it's growing on me!).

In any case, glad you're happy with your QX4.
  • maxzoeymaxzoey Member Posts: 32
    When we were deciding which SUV to buy it came down to the 01 QX4 and the 01 PF LE.
    I also thought that on the surface the difference of $4000 Canadian we would go for the QX4 for the longer warranty, bigger tires, heated rear seats, etc. When it came down to making the deal in December of 2000, Nissan was willing to deal, and Infiniti was not. The difference ended up being $8,400. Now that was a BIG difference. Because of the prestige nameplate, only 1 dealer in the area, and limited supply of QX4's the $8400 difference looked pretty good to me. As for service at the dealership, the dealer has told us anytime we book an appointment we will get a loaner car, so, I am not too worried about Nissan Service.
    If your QX4 makes you sleep better at night, I'm happy for you. But the fact is they both share the same powertrain and AWD system. What you are paying the extra $$$ for is more insulation stuffed into the body, the privelge of paying more $$$ for rear heated seats or HID lamps. That's the only diference. Yes, you get 1 more year on the B2B warranty, but we all know these vehicles are of high quality and it's rare you'll need it. An aftermarket extended 6 year warranty could be had for about $1k.

In terms of loaner cars, as folks are pointing out, many quality "mainstream" dealers are now offering this, including free oil changes and car washes.

The bottom line is that Infiniti does not have a broad enough product line to really differentiate itself from it's mainstream parent, Nissan. And that's Nissan fault, but the average consumer's gain by being able to buy such a fine vehicle as a PF LE at a reasonable price.

TC
  • rmiyamotormiyamoto Member Posts: 4
    I have a '01 SE with the 6-CD changer. My display doesn't seem to show the minutes and seconds when I'm playing a CD. Do I have to enable this option or does it just not come with the option? If it doesn't, whose bright idea was that?!?
    I installed a hitch my self. There is a Nissan service letter on how to install
    the wires. No not let them mess your car-up. If you still need the letter e-mail
    me and I will scan it to you. The wires are ran inside the car under the rear
    deck flashing. The wires arenot long enough to run the way the instructions
    that came with the harnes!! Cheers.
  • deecee3deecee3 Member Posts: 4
    I just recently heard the clicking of the switch in the gear shift when I step on the brake to put the lever into reverse, or any other gear. Sounded louder than usual, do you have this problem as well, or is it normal?
    1999 Pathfinder SE, Auto.
  • stevinwshingtnstevinwshingtn Member Posts: 23
    Gottria;
    I have heard that there was a problem with the design of the wiring harness. I don't really know if that is true or not. I had trouble getting one from my dealer, Richmond Nissan in Vancouver. After several months they more or less said the same thing. It was on back order forever, when they got it they were going to send it to me but they said they wanted to try it first and claimed it didn't fit. I wound up ordering one from www.hitch-web.com and I had it a week later. Only problem is, I haven't gotten around to installing it so I am not completely sure it fits.
    The dealer originally gave me a harness without connectors. Sort of a universal fit. If that is what your dealer was trying to put on I could see where they might have some trouble. That one looked like a pain. The one I got from hitch-web has I guess what you would call T connectors so you don't cut any wires and you don't have to sort out the wiring color codes. When I get around to installing the one I have I'll report back on my success (or not).
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    The click is normal. It is a pin being electrically or magnetically pulled when the break is applied. This is done as a safety feature. No brake on, No shifter movement out of park. All of my last 8 automatics I have owned in the last 7 years have done it.
  • fatdog1fatdog1 Member Posts: 1
    does anybody have any news on the 2002 pathfinder?
    There is a Nissan Accessory Bulletin on the Nissan P/N 999T8-RL000
    Trailer Tow Harness. The Nissan harness will fit the 2001 PF. The problem
    was the passenger side access hole/plug where the harness is normally routed
    was removed from May 00-Aug '00 PF production. The accessory bulletin from
    Nissan is NAB/00-029. The alternate way of running the harness seems
    better anyway. Provides more protection for the wires. Hope this helps.
    Cheers.....
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    As sanandton said, it is completely normal. It keeps you from accidentally putting the car in gear. I did, however, have a problem with this in my '93 Altima. The clicking shifter switch is deactivated by the brake light switch (when the brake lights are on, you can move the selector out of Park). When the brake light switch went out, I couldn't get the car into gear...until I read the manual and found the bypass. At the time, I was swamped at work, so I didn't have time to fix it myself. The dealer charged less than $100 to replace the switch.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Not sure what you meant by "overfilling". Whenever I have the patience I fill it till the fuel is up to the "anti-siphon" valve. As long as you don't fill it to there and just leave it on a hot day there will be no problem (in other words, drive from the fill-up at least 20 mi/30 km). I've found my PF will use all 80 Litres (well, I refilled it and put in 78 litres - patiently, once). I really sweated that last 60 km or so with the low fuel light on - at least the last 40 km of it. I filled up my previous vehicle like that for 11 years with no problems (90 4Runner). I also had a second fuel tank in the 4Runner (plumbed to the main tank - one filler and no switching - rear tank drained into the main tank so it acted like one BIG tank - 145 litres). I miss being able to go so long without stopping - allows you to be real picky on where you fill up. Changing the vent hoses on the PF should help by giving me a full 80 litre fill-up without waiting too long.
  • looking25looking25 Member Posts: 19
    PAT01 - The pathfinder that failed was in South PA. Yes, it totally died...luckily only a mile from the dealer and the salesman was along to call in help. I picked mine up Saturday, no shimmy, no problems.. except the steering wheel is not lined-up straight (cock-eyed) when I'm driving straight about 5-10 degrees. Just a little pet peeve - everything else is perfect!

Jayson4 - my $31,200 was in US$ - getting accessories at dealer cost too.

What octane of gas is everyone using? I'm still not sure (87, 89, or 92+)?
  • xplorer2xplorer2 Member Posts: 17
    Goose,

I am on the north shore near NH border, and that is where I get my car done. I wish I knew of one in your area, sorry about that.
  • mtt999mtt999 Member Posts: 15
    I am using premium unleaded as recommended by the dealer and owner's manual. At Sam's club and Costo Wholesale, the premium unleaded is about 15 cents more than regular unleaded. I haven't tried any gasolines that rate lower than 91 octane. Since I can afford to spend over $30+k for the SUV, I would not mind to spend 15 cents more per gallon for premium gasoline to enjoy the horse power and performance. It's just my idea. Good luck and enjoy your PF!
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    Apparently, sales on the PF have been poor for this month and dealers in the area (Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Va Beach) have $500 dealer cash and 3.9% for 60 months.

Is this deal going on elsewhere? I'm wondering how long this might actually last. The ad says that it expires Jan 31, but I'm guessing they'll extend it.
  • drewsherman68drewsherman68 Member Posts: 6
    i don't know what the current rebates are for my area in Central Florida (Edmunds doesn't show any on the regional incentives list), but i went to a Nissan dealer here that was advertising a 2001 SE for $23,495. Of course the model is a stick - but if you don't mind that it's quite a deal. They're looking for one in my color. I am sure they will try to add on a lot of extras like "The Protection Package" I noticed on a few others (I didn't even ask as I wanted to be spared the BS). But the deal is printed in the Orlando Sentinel so they have to honor it.
  • peggy24peggy24 Member Posts: 2
    We are heading to a couple of local dealers this afternoon to test the PF LE. They are offering 3.9% 60 months and $700 under dealer invoice. They are both fighting for our business so I think they might go lower! I hope we like the car!! Any advice??
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    where are you located?

did they quote you $700 under dealer invoice over the phone?

sounds like a good deal to me....
    Better act quick....