Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    Looking25,

I've noticed the same problem w/my 01 LE. Are you having that corrected? Txs.
  • novapathnovapath Member Posts: 2
    Im taking delivery of a 2001 LE tonight and the dealer came down to $600 under invoice and 3.9% financing so it appears that this is the going deal/rate until 1/31. All I had to do was show them the carmax new car website and they beat their price by $500 (probably the dealer incentive) My dealer also said that they probably will not extend this since they (and many other local dealers) are running out of stock which. Most dealers I went to had only 3 to 5 pathfinders left. Unfortunately I had to go to Maryland to find a dealer that would negotiate under invoice after trying several Northern Virginia dealerships. Some companies just dont get it.
  • nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    Could you post who that dealer is? My brother wants to buy a loaded LE next month. He lives in Northern Va. as well.

thanks.
  • looking25looking25 Member Posts: 19
    aspenwhite - I'm going to pick up some accessories tomorrow and I'll have my sales guy take a ride. It's just nice having everthing lined-up for a long highway drive so the steering wheel controls "feel right".

novapath - I used the carmax approach also and it worked great for $700 under invoice.

mt999 - Thanks for the gas update, luckily I have
    a BJ's wholesale near by and will use
    their premium.
  • pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone having a tough time to start their Pathfinder once in awhile? I just got my Pathfinder SE a month ago and i just noticed that its having some trouble starting up once in awhile. It's not consistent...so I'm not really concerned...just wanted to bring it up and see everyone else's response.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    It only happened once to my 2001 LE, but it was weird just the same as it usually starts beautifully. It wouldn't fire after cranking twice for around 5 seconds each time. Not even a bit. I finally added a bit of throttle and it fired right up. Wonder if the computer is having troubles under certain conditions. Are you living at a high altitude (I'm in Calgary at around 3400 ft).

Incidentally, the Nissan Pathfinder Owners area is up and running with 4 or 5 specific topics. Us owners should start posting over there.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    For those of you looking to buy in the Maryland area, give Tischer Nissan on Fort Meade Rd. a try (near BWI). I purchased my 01' PF LE for $31,000 about 3 weeks ago from Rich Belliveau there at Tischer. At that time, they beat the Carmax price by a couple hundred dollars on my PF that is loaded (minus the NAV & ENT Systems and the Tow Hitch).

Good luck
  • peggy24peggy24 Member Posts: 2
    Just got in from my first PF LE test ride. Thought we would get to two dealers but only made it to one. They were begging us to buy a 2001 LE with leather, slip thing, mats, sunroof wind deflecter in White... $29,998....at 3.9% for 60 months. My husband thinks the deal will last but they told us only until the 31st. I'm a little concerned about letting this opportunity slip by but we just started looking at cars and didn't want to jump at the first offer. HELP PF owners.
  • eshytleeshytle Member Posts: 2
    Tell me if I've gone crazy here. I drove a 2001 LE 4x4 on Saturday, and loved it but for one thing - it was Sherwood Green. A fine color, but I wanted silver, so I told the salesman to get me one in silver and we'd have a deal. He said that their store across town had one, the same vehicle (i.e., LE 4x4, same options, but in silver). I bought it on the spot and told the salesman I would pick up the silver LE on Monday.

Today I picked it up and drove it home. Then I noticed a strange thing - it has a floor shift-on-the-fly lever, not the dial mechanism with all-mode 4-wheel drive. What the heck?!? I double-checked, it's definitely a 2001 LE 4x4. Everything I can find anywhere tells me that all-mode is standard on the 2001 LE 4x4s. But somehow mine doesn't have it.

Any ideas? Explanations? Recommendations? Should I demand a new vehicle that does have all-mode? Thanks for all advice.
  • jkrammjkramm Member Posts: 3
    Recently flipped my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Gotta love that unforseen ice and a ditch to boot. Well I think i have it narrowed down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, or Nissan Xterra. I have read all the posts here so I feel pretty knowledgeable about the pathfinder but any advice you could give me in comparing the 3 would be greatly appreciated. thank you...feel free to email me at jkpowder@aol.com
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    Check the door post to see what month and year the vehicle
    was built and what engine?? Has to have a 3.5 L and built in late
    2000. I have the Sherwood Green and it's a nice color. Not hot
    on the all black interior. Wish I could get it with cloth. Cheers
    P.S. Some states have a 3 day return policy. Calling a "cooling
    of period" Cheers....
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    When the first 2001's came out in the states, they didn't have the AWD. Looks like you got one of those.

My steering was off on my 2000 LE. It took them 2 alignments, and a tire balancing and it's still not completely straight.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I also have a 01 LE 4x4 with the shift stick. I was one of the first to buy in april 2000. You apparently got one of the leftovers. If you are unhappy about this, try to take it back and work a deal on a AWD version.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Might be a bit late to take it back. Remember, once you drive it off the dealer's lot... But, it's worth trying. This is why I try to be flexible with color selection. good Luck.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    If your quote of $29,998 is for an 2001 LE w/ AWD (make sure it's AWD and not the earlier 2001 PF which was just 4x4, see the post right below your 1st post) I would definitely do it if you like the Pathfinder.

Nissan has a $500 dealer incentive going until the 31st, so that's why the dealer gave you this date also. I paid an even $31,000 for mine on January 6th in Maryland, the $500 incentive was in effect then also. I thought I got a good deal at $31K, you getting yours for $30k would be even better. Good luck, just make sure it's an AWD LE before you buy.

eshytle - Good luck working with the dealer. If the one you 1st test drove at your dealership was a LE w/ AWD and you said "Get me one in Silver" you might have a shot. Again, good luck!

I have a Silver LE w/ AWD and love it to death!
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    Looking for anyone that is using the Homelink system for lights, alarm, and home deadbolts. This built-in garage door opener is very handy. What is involved in using Homelink for other things, specifically the house lights and door locks?

Is the auto trans in the '01 LE an electronic gearbox that automatically adapts the shifts according your most driving habits? I'm curious because I have been babying the car, ie, break-in period and now it has passed and I'm finding that Explorers are taking off faster than I am at traffic lights under brisk (not full) acceleration.

How do I keep the dust off the dashboard, guage cluster, etc.? It keeps coming back after I've cleaned it!

TIA
  • winnyvwinnyv Member Posts: 30
    Some of you may have already found it,but for those that have not look at: http://forums.vmag.com/suvpathfinder0200/

There is some pretty good info here also on Pathfinders.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    www.smarthome.com

Don't spend too much money .

TC
  • novapathnovapath Member Posts: 2
    I also used Tischer in Laurel. Salesman is Eric Pillman.

I would highly recommend them. Love the LE!
  • cfdcfd Member Posts: 3
    You were ripped off by a dishonest salesman, plain and simple. As others have said, early 2001 model year Pathfinders were built with the floor shifter. The AWD system was not offered until late last year. You were given a leftover, and it appears you were charged for AWD. As I recall, the price difference between AWD and the floor shifter model was five hundred dollars (Nissan raised the price for AWD Pathfinders). You should immediately contact the dealer and tell them you expect another vehicle, with AWD, or a $500 refund. The fact that you "drove it off the lot" means nothing in cases of fraud. Please do us all a favor and post the name of the dealer that pulled this little stunt so we can all avoid him. Good luck.
  • dennis1950dennis1950 Member Posts: 33
    Had the same ignition-starting problem on my 01 LE. May be altitude or temp related. I was at 6000 feet, temperature around 30 degrees. Gave the gas pedal a couple of pumps just like I used to in my 57 Chevy and it started right up. Doesn't seem right though.
  • tofunricetofunrice Member Posts: 20
    Hi all...

I just purchased a 2001 PF LE with the Navigation System... I was wondering if anyone knows how often the CD-ROM Maps are updated and where you can purchase updated CD-ROM's from?

Also... Does anyone have the Mobile Entertainment Center option? Would you recommend it?

Also, does anyone know if the option can be dealer installed? Thanks...
  • eshytleeshytle Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for the help. With some digging, this is what I have learned. The current crop of LE 4x4s, with AWD standard, are technically designated as 2001 1/2 models, while the initial run of 2001 LE 4x4s did not have AWD. There was a price increase of around $400 associated with the change, I think. All other features are the same. It appears that not many came off the line w/out AWD.

My dealer was quick to admit the (what I believe to be honest) mistake, and to offer to trade out for an AWD model with the same price relationship to invoice. That is, I got mine for $200 over invoice (apparently a poor deal, considering this new rebate, but that's life), and was offered to get the AWD model for $200 over its invoice. The price difference, as I said, is around $400, but is reflected only in the base cost of the vehicle, not as an option. I'm still thinking this one over.

But it certainly is worth keeping in mind when you price these. Again, thanks for all replies.
    I noticed rattling in my rear tailgate window when driving at any speed on my new 2001 Pathfinder LE AWD... Has anyone experienced this. I check everything and all I see that cushions the window to the door frame are are two tiny rubber "feet"... Not much cushion as far as I am concerned. I will take it back to the dealer to look at but was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this issue. Thanks.
  • nhamawinhamawi Member Posts: 5
    Bryan,

The All-mode did not become available until around November I believe. If I were you, I would cancel the contract RIGHT AWAY. I don't know how it is in your state, or whether this is a federal law, but in MA, we have 3 days to cancel a contract once signed. If the amount you paid was based on the green LE's sticker (or invoice), you were cheated.

The All-Mode is much more than just an electronic version of the mechanical lever. It includes a mode that the older system did not have, and incorporates some serious mechanical modifications. The older system is the only one that is offered on the XE and SE models by the way. (Strangely, the Pathfinder brochure says in text that the SE has the All-Mode as an option, but the bullet item comparison list indicates that the All-Mode is not an option on the SE).

Anyway, the All-Mode includes a viscous (fluid driven) central differential coupling that allows the front and rear drive shafts to rotate at different speeds--thus allowing variability of power and rotational speed between front and rear wheels--and even while in turns on non-slippery surfaces. I also believe there is a serious amount of computer logic involved to make this work most effectively. The system in your vechicle is not capable of this. Insead, it locks the front and rear drive shafts so they rotate in unisen (which is what the 4L does on the newer LE models).

As an owner of a brand new LE (since yesterday as well) I can confidently tell you that the new All-Mode system is VERY smooth and effective, and does not appear to have even the slightest delay before applying power to the front wheels when needed. It's a huge advantage over the 4-wheel drive when driving in conditions that are constantly changing, or when you run over patches of snow or ice. Just set it and forget it.

Hope this helps,

Nick Hamawi
  • nhamawinhamawi Member Posts: 5
    Correction... The 4H and 4L mode of the older-style drive system is similar to the 4H or 4L (not just 4L) mode of the new All-Mode Pathfinder system. Just that the newer system ALSO has the Auto-Mode (which I incorrectly called All-Mode above). Sheesh, I wish Edmunds had better forum software such as Ultimate Bulletin Board).

Nick Hamawi
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Actually, I believe the All mode 4WD system actually uses multiplate clutches and not a viscous coupling for the centre differential.

The Ultimate Bulletin Board software was considered, but it did not make the final cut since there were some serious administrative management features that were missing, and Edmunds.com wanted a software package that we knew could expand to an even larger size. The current software (Web Crossing) is used by many other sites with large user registrations, such as CNN, the New York times, etc.

If you read the instructions just above the post text box, you'll see that you have up to 1/2 hour to edit your posts.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • paco99paco99 Member Posts: 25
    Try using a mild cleaner and a "lint free" cloth......
  • xplorer2xplorer2 Member Posts: 17
    What I use and find it to work fantastically is those new Swifters... they come in packages of 8 or more, work great on hard wood floors too, but much better on your dash, and car sills. Try that, I guarantee you will like it.

X2
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Recently, someone posted this link to a board:

http://forums.vmag.com/suvpathfinder0200/

I've mentioned that board before. The people aren't always as friendly as this board, but, as the poster mentioned, there is definitely some good info...such as the posts about the "Hard start at high altitude and low temp" found at this link:

http://forums.vmag.com/suvpathfinder0200/messages/2800.html

Be sure to read all of the replys to this message. Those links are towards the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps! By the way, I've never had this problem with my '99.5. I haven't been at high altitude, but I have been in 10 below zero air temps.

• tacomawheelstacomawheels Member Posts: 6
    I have a one day old 2001 Pathfinder. I want to get several accessories. I have heard that someone makes a cargo liner that covers the wheel wells and the back of the back seat. I would also like a mesh net pet seperator. I heard these are also available. Lastly I would like a bush guard for the front. The Nissan options look OK but I would like to know what else is out there.

thanks,
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...while the dealer is offering the option.
  • mdq_ntvmdq_ntv Member Posts: 11
    eshytle, do some research on PT vs. Allmode systems bef taking the offer. If you go AWD make sure you get the extended warranty just in case something goes wrong w/the system...(very expensive repairs).
  • jeethjeeth Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2001 4X2 pathfinder with navigation system and mobile entermainment for $31,500. I got apr for 60 months 3.9%. I traded in my 2000 4X2 and got 23,500 for it. What are your opinions on this deal. I got them to throw in the brush guard with the deal.

How many CD's did you get with your navigation system. I got one for the southeast region. I heard i get one update and have to pay $125 for any of the other regions.
  • steveknabsteveknab Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for inputs on how people like their 01 Pathfinder.

Looks like the EL is loaded, any option you would recommend?

Thanks,

Steve
    Hey Jeeth...

I feel like I got jipped considering everyone's posted prices... I think you got a good deal for your Pathfinder with the Nav and Entertainment System... I just purchased an 2001 4x4 LE w/Nav and every option with the exception of the Mobile Entertainment center for $34,600. Did I pay too much???

Also... How do you like the Entertainment center... Is the VCR in the back protruding out... do you lose much room in the back because of it?

As for the NAV subscription... I did not know anything about that... do you have more details. Thanks.
    Hey Tofunrice,

I think you did. But i am still going over my deal in my head. As for the nav system, it only came with one cd, the cd for the region. I was informed that if i wanted more for the us, i would have to purchase them one by one. If i want an updated cd, i would have to pay for it.

I love the ent system. In the handbook for it, there are instructions for moving it if the space is needed. Didn't know about the audio controls on the steering wheel till i got home. I overlooked a lot of things since i was used to my 2000 pathfinder.
    Jeeth's price was for a 4x2 LE. There is a $2500 difference between a 4x2 and 4x4.

A LE 4x4 with every option except Ent Sys can be had for $33,549 at Carsdirect.com.

Hope this helps,
    TC
    Does anyone know about the number of cd's that comes with the nav system. And for those who have had an opportunity to use it, what is your opinion on it?
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Because I still receive lots of questions on the subject and I know this new format is harder to search, I'll again post a quick note this subject. If you really want the best price on a new Pathfinder just go up to Canada. Then bring it home to the US. The US dollar is very strong against the Canadian dollar and there are some reputable dealers very willing sell at just over cost. Right now for an LE with AWD, LSD, and leather figure about $28,500. For an SE with auto trans, AWD, LSD, and sunroof figure about $26,000.

This really isn't all that hard. I did it. Over 20 others have done it too. I posted more details awhile back at post #2 (put a '2' in the goto box upper right). I'm happy to help others out with more info, questions, and contacts that we have found to be good. When you really look at it, many people are surprised how close they are to major Canadian cities. A days trip to save $3000+ sounds pretty good to me.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
    I don't have ownership experinece with the PF LE Nav system, but it is CD based, hence, you generally get ONE cd for the region you buy the car in. You generally have to pay extra for additional CDs.

2nd-generation DVD based Nav systems have the entire country on one disc.

TC
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    If any of you want help from Canada, I'm sure you will find we Canadians will (I'm in Edmonton, there's another fellow in Calgary, and I'm sure there are some in Vancouver B.C. and back east). Checking with local dealers for you etc.

As I posted before, I wouldn't get the Nav. system. For a lot less you can get a much more versatile GPS device such as the Garmin GPSIII+, or Street Pilot (and Color Street Pilot). They have basic maps built in for all of North America (main and secondary roads, intersections, etc.) and cost from $350 and up. You can move them from vehicle to vehicle and even use them hiking. They will even guide you to your destination. High res. maps of cities can be had for reasonable cost. Check out www.garmin.com for more details. They sit on the dash and work great (I have the GPSIII+).
  • j1234bj1234b Member Posts: 4
    Hello Folks,

Does anyone know which Mobil1 oil filter the 2001 Pathfinder uses? Thanks much.

Jim
    Hey Jeeth...

As for myself... I'm a techie... so I love all those gadget... but using the Navigation program for the past few days have been wonderful. I feel like a kid with it. I believe we only get 1 disk (for the region where you purchased the car). You don't find much detail about the navigation system at www.nissandriven.com... but if you head over to www.infinit.com and take a look at the QX4 (based off the Path and share the same NAV system)... they have a link to the manufacturer of the navigation system. There, you will find more info about the discs and how the system works. There's some interesting stuff.

I have had the opportunity to use Lexus' DVD based Navigation system and I have to say that the Nissan NAV with its Bird's Eyeview is way better! Also... the voice/screen guidance is more detailed than the Lexus system. You also have more customization features with the Nissan system... but I do have a few complaints... The onscreen keyboard buttons are a bit small on the Nissan and I constantly mishit a letter whereas on the Lexus system... I don't have that problem. On the Lexus system, I like how you can have it automatically reroute a trip if you don't like it... On the Nissan... I have not been able to find a way to get around this other than start heading on the freeway I want to go on (versus the one it suggested)... then wait till it re-routed it self to this direction (but most often... it will tell me to exit the freeway and go back to the point where I diverged).

Overall though, I'd prefer the Nissan system even though you do have to purchase other discs if you travel out of state... but it's something I'm willing to sacrafice since I don't expect to travel out of California or Nevada any time soon.
    : )
    Also to note about the Navigation... The discs you get for your region (in my case, Califonria/Nevada Region) contain main roads/secondary roads... but only offer detailed (street by street) navigation in specific areas. In my case, SF Bay Area and Los Angeles/San Diego area (Go to www.infiniti.com and check out the QX4's nav page and there is a link to the manufacturer... there, they have detailed information about each region...)

I also wanted to add that the Nearby feature is great... I had to pick up my girlfriend from the hospital and I did not know how to get there from my new job... but knew it was close... so I just hit the Nearby button.. chose Hospitals... and the one I was looking for appeared... It even displays an arrow icon pointing to the direction(as well as how far each one is in miles) of all the hospitals around. I got there in 5 minutes with the voice guidance and I was impressed!

Also... like I mentioned in an earlier post.. the navigation is much better than the Lexus... I tend to turn on the wrong exits on the Lexus because it only gives basic prompts... but the Pathfinder's is extremely detailed! When I was heading to the hospital... it told me to exit the freeway off ramp... but as I exited, there were four routes (remember... this is San Francisco.. california!!!)... and I was not sure which one to take and was getting worried...but the nav system than stated "stay on the left lane, stay left, left.... left, merge right,... right..." It sounded like a broken record... but with its concise pinpoint accuracy telling me which lane to stay in and where to turn, I did not go to the wrong street! I remember the Lexus only giving me short ambiguous prompts that left me clueless as to where to go!
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    I purchased my 01 LE Loaded with roof, and all extras but Nav system in September. I have the 4x4 but not the AWD, I have the shift to 4x4. I Love the vehicle, the 240 HP is great and has lots of zip. I have taken two long trips one in fall and one around Christmas. Both trips have been a joy, and were around 2600 miles each round trip, so I am loading the miles on it. I got 18.5 to 19 MPG on highway and am getting 15.5 going to work city driving round trip 16 miles. The dealer has been very courteous and all I have been there for is oil change. One time the steering wheel locked at work and I couldnt start so the Service Manager came to work and showed me how to correct. When you park sometimes there is pressure on steering wheel and it seems locked and you cant turn the key. If you pull down on steering wheel, to the left. and then let up just a little it unlocks and you can start vehicle. My point is they came to my work place and demonstrated. Some would maybe tell me how stupid and hang up but these Nissan folks are great. Anyway, I am very satisfied and would recommend to anyone. Good Luck.
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    Some like to be first but I was Number 1000.
  • funinthemudfuninthemud Member Posts: 6
    Man am I glad you folks are here. Been an avid MT and R&T reader for years. Making the shift from sports car to SUV - necessary since we now have 2 large dogs and one canoe that I refuse to squeeze in and on an RX-7. Have been test driving Path, Xterra, Explorer, 4runner, and Rodeo. Pathy has such a sweet ride and seems to have most bang for the buck. Has anyone had comparative experience with the Allmode vs. AWD. Instinct tells me allmode is where it's at. How do the lease numbers compare with purchase? My current lease is up in April and the search is on. Suggestions most welcome. Thanks!
    Check out www.jcwhitney.com they have a cargo liner.....I've been looking at it, but haven't had the time to decide whether to order it or not......
    Here's something I bought that really helps me.....

I noticed that when backing up my '01 PF SE 4x4 with shift on the fly.....especially into a parking spot, as I get closer to the parked vehicle behind me, it becomes difficult to judge how close I am getting to the other vehicle, especially when it's a car...

I went to Pep Boys and bought somethiing called, I think, "van eyes"....it comes in 3 sizes, small, medium [8" x 14"] and large (usually for vans or buses, etc.)...it's a self stick with water and applied to the inner side of the rear window glass.....it's made of plastic and gives an "eliptical" (my description) depth of field view of the back of the vehicle area....sure helps me a lot.....

You have to test it out to see exactly where to place it on your window.....for me, I bought the medium size.....I think it was $ 9 or $ 10 bucks....and worth it !....after trying various positions, I have left it in the upper corner with the top edge of the plastic abutting the area edge that is cleaned by the exterior wiper....so the area is always clean.....

Because it's elliptical [?], if you stand in the back of your vehicle and look into it, it also works the other way as to the view you get...

But remember, don't apply it backwards !.....duh......