Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• I sold mine (96 Larado, V8, 4WD) to a friend when it had about 90K miles. Rode in it last week, with about 140K miles. AC is out, don't know if it's freon or compressor, and occasionally eats CD's, but mechanically is still sound. His previous Jeep was a Cherokee, with the 4.0 six, and he managed to get it above 250K (though the last 10K were not easy).

Some may have initial build quality issues, granted, but the good ones are better than energizer bunnies.
  • kershaw1kershaw1 Posts: 1
    I have had 3 Grands so far and the '99 is my first lemon. Nothing but troubles that Jeep customer service ignores. Seals, hubs, recalls the works! So far the front axle has cost me over $1500 not including the so-called warranty work. My first 2 jeeps ('93 and '97) are still working fine and in my family but the '99 is a dog. I guess the changeover from Chrysler to Daimler wasn't so transparent after all. From now on I'll by buying GMC and urging everyone else to do the same. Buy a Jeep for reliability? That's gone it seems.

Roger
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    I don't think Daimler has anything to do with your '99 dog. Crysler has had the worst reputation in the industry for making dogs for years. I think Daimler has actually improved things. You probably just got lucky on the first 2.
  • stevem17stevem17 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC LTD w/infinity gold sound system in-dash cd player. I'd like to add a hard wired 6 or 10 disk cd changer that can be mounted in the same location as the factory installed units. My questions are, does the factory run the cable to this location, what brands work with the in dash head unit, what's the cost and with the remote changer, does the single in dash CD changer still function. All responses appreciated.
  • rivolvorivolvo Posts: 2
    I recently bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Love it so far.
    However, when it's cold, the engine hesitates and then kind of "jumps"
    into gear when first starting off. This goes away as soon as the
    SUV's warm.

Anybody have a similar problem or know what might be causing this?
  • ronc5ronc5 Posts: 7
    Hi all, first post in awhile. Have the 2001 JGC Laredo. Have 4000 miles on it now and still getting a clunk when it goes into 5th gear (overdrive.) Have been watching the tach when it shifts, around 2000 rpm at 53 mph. Tach seems to float down to around 1700 at shift then back up towards 2000 rpm before it settles back to 1600 or 1700. Is this normal or an I getting some slippage? Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, would like to hear some opinions first.
    Also, what does everyone use to keep the lower panels and bumpers looking good? Thanks.
  • I have an 02 and no problems with cold or warm starting ? How cold are we talking here ?

Panels, interestingly enough there are 2 things I would recommend. This stuff called showroom shine which is basically a solution that changes the electrostatic charge of the panels and paint etc to avoid collecting dust easily. Funeral homes use it on their vehicles to keep them looking nice for processions, and dealers use them as it implies in the showroom. You can probably order it but not sure where from. I will try and determine and post. This works the best.

I would also recommend bumper cleaner in black available at auto parts stores.

Good luck !
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Posts: 63
    I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee and the owners manual states to lube the front steering at 15K. I see only 2 fittings, one per upper ball joint. Are there more??
  • I've got an offer in on a 2000 JGC Laredo but I didn't take the time to play with the Overhead Console Mini-computer. Is there a "mode" that computes miles per gallon? I can't seem to find an explaination of all the features on the internet.

Thanks!
  • milousmilous Posts: 39
    There are a few different version of the console, shown here:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/evic.htm
  • Thanks "Milous"! Exactly what I was looking for.
  • Anybody have experience/knowledge about a "buzzing" associated with hard acceleration in 1st gear only with auto/tranny 4.0 V6 (2000)? It's kind of a meaty, higher pitched buzzing. But it's not apparent under normal acceleration, or in any other gear. The tranny shifts smooth as silk, so should I be concerned? Thanks!
  • tuttietuttie Posts: 4
    i have a 96 jeep grand cherokee limited and i changed the battery to the remote, does anyone know how to reset it, also i bought a new one and would like to program that one also...please help
    Stevem17, your Limited did not come with the factory CD changer??? It was standard on all Limited's with the Infinity package...the in-dash CD slot works with the factory changer for a total capacity of 11 discs. An aftermarket different brand changer would be difficult or impossible to get to work with the factory head unit as it is wired into the vehicle PCI bus.
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Posts: 21
    I am surprised no one else has posted anything about this yet. More than one million jeep models are being recalled because of a potential engine fire hazard according to news reports from DC. They are recalling 2000-2002 Wranglers, 2000-2001 Cherokees, and 1999-2001 Grand Cherokees with 4.0 liter engines. They said debris accumulation in the engine compartments of these vehicles could potentially cause a fire. Chrylser determined that an engine design modification could lead to a change in airflow and cause debris accumulation in the engine. They will attach a shield in the engine area of each vehicle to prevent this from occuring. The recall effects 182,044 Wranglers, 293,968 Cherokees, and 639,310 Grand Cherokees. I haven't received anything from DC yet about it. I have a 99 JGC 4.0 liter. Has anyone seen anything yet?

Here's more:

http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/16/pf/autos/jeep/
  • mmetwebmmetweb Posts: 1
    My JGCL has been on order for 8 wks now. I was wondering if the Infinity sound system that i'll be getting will play CDR media. I have the cd only version. Waiting and waiting...
  • mdjeepman,

I saw the recall too! I advised my dealer about it, right before I signed my life away for a 2000 fully loaded JGC Laredo. The dealer said we'll be getting notices directly from Jeep next month. Then we can get the little plastic shields installed. Fortunately, no reported incidents of engine fires. Keeping fingers crossed! Today is day (2) of ownership and I'm still in shock of how nice this vehicle is! I've owned (9) other vehicles since '94 and this blowes away GM, Ford, and Hyundai products. Total luxury from 10-way power leather seats to power moonroof, steering wheel radio controls, and a fun mini-computer with the overhead consule. My wife wants to move out of our house and into the Jeep! And I don't want to stop driving. Enough power from the inline 4.0, and the tranny is smooth as silk. Glad my Jeep was previously owned by a little old lady, literally.
  • I saw the release on the fire issue but pretty much dismissed it as a risk. Just paranoia in the post Firestone era as I see it. air flow COULD cause debris to accumulate that COULD cause a fire ...too remote if you ask me.

I have been to many vehicle fires and dont recall a Jeep in a long while. How many pintos are still on the road ? How many pick ups with side mounted fuel tanks ?
    Why should you be surprised that no one had posted that recall here? Everyone assumes that people know about it because it happens all the time to Chrysler and to some degree to Ford and GM too. I just bought an Infiniti QX4 that expect far fewer problems from. Yeah, yeah, I know its not American made but it is better quality and I have gotten tired of buying American made just because its American made and having it last half as long as the Hondas Toyotas or Nissans w/o problems.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,630
    The dealers don't know much about the recall yet:

Dealers Prepare for Jeep Recall

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    "Everyone assumes that people know about it because it happens all the time to Chrysler and to some degree to Ford and GM too..."

mdjeepman, what do you mean "all the time" to Chrysler and "to some degree Ford and GM"??? Gimme a break, have you ever counted up the recalls by Ford in the past couple years? Ford dwarfs Jeep recalls in the same period!!

Infinity? Didn't Consumer Reports just rate them terrible for comfort, especially with a few passengers aboard? And they also stated "unimpressive handling". To me they look similar to the new GM SUV's. I'll take a Jeep any day!
    I stand corrected, evidentally there are some aftermarket changers that will hook up to the factory head unit on the JGC. Autotoys.com carries some adaptor cables and may have more info on which units are compatible. Alpine made a 6-disc changer that may still be available.
    I didn't see the statements you say Consumer Reports made about comfort and handling but those are both excellent in my opinion. I have owned this thing for 3 months and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    I got the info from the April 2002 Annual Auto issue, page 49 where the main car listings are. They said that handling was "secure but not impressive", that "ride quality quickly deteriorates with passengers aboard", and that "cargo space and load capacity limit its usefullness". They praised the fit, finish and reliabilty but also implied that it was pretty much an overpriced version of the Nissan Pathfinder.

It sounds like a pretty decent vehicle but I have never driven one so I cannot comment on the ride or comfort level. But I have driven a ton of other different SUV brands, owned a few different ones, and so far by a long way the Jeep GC has been my favorite. Fit and finish are beyond perfect, and so far not a single problem after over a year of driving. I don't keep my cars more than 2-4 years, that "new car smell" gets me every time I get near a showroom. But next time I'll check out the QX4 and take one for a spin.
    You keep a car for 2-4 years. You may not see the significant problems that Chrysler WILL have, although most I have known have shown up very early. I plan to keep the QX4 for 10-12 years and put about 250,000 mile on it. I would never trust a Chrysler product with my wife and kids in it out on the road at 200,000+ miles.
  • zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    We bought our JGC new in 1993. Now after 109k, still driving and liking it. Plan to keep it a few more years.
  • Ford - you have got to be kidding ! Firestone tires. Play a little game with yourself. As you drive the interstates take notice of the broken down vehicles. My bet is at least 2 to 1 they are Fords.

The all have recall issues just scan the other news groups. Its part of QI as I see it.

I won't bad mouth Toyota or any of the other foreign makers. If you choose to buy American or not thats fine - not my battle. I will say this however, there are always sacrfices when you move from one manufacturer to another. Could be leg room, head room, off road, repair cost, parts cost, styling. Always something.

Interestingly enough we contrast these foreign car manufacturers against the behemoths of Detroit. Size matters ? Why wouldnt these huge manufacturers have more recalls then other small operations ?????? (And yes I realize how large Toyota is)
  • Tloke1, I see you have quoted the consumer reports issue that says the Infiniti QX4 ride quality suffers when fully loaded. Doesn't that same issue list the Infinti QX4 as the best vehicle in regard to repair? Best vehicle I think in this case means of all vehicle, cars, SUVs and trucks. Also, that same issue of consumer reports states that buying a JGC would be ill advised given that it placed dead last in frequency of repairs as compiled from owners. I think they called the JGC a reliability risk. So, since you'll take a jeep any day, I sure bigorange30, (who bought a QX4) will be spending a lot less time at dealer for repair. BTW, hows that recent recall thing going with Jeep. Did that affect your JGC, or was it just everyone else??
    The same issue you quote calls the QX4 the most reliable vehicle on the road, period. The information it quoted about the Cherokee is exactly the reputation of Chrysler I have come to know. This is the reason I would not invest in this brand. I have had so many friends who have had tremendous difficulties with Chryslers. It is too many to be a coincidence and others like CR have validated that perception.
  • rb123rb123 Posts: 51
    I have to ask why do you keep posting here? I'm sure the people over at the infiniti forum would like to hear how much you love your QX4. Have you ever even owned a JGC? I think the JGC is a leader in the SUV marketplace with it's excellent offroad ability very well designed interior powerful V-8 engine and I could go on and on but most people that own JGC's already know these things. I think if you take a look at the sales figures you will see that a lot of people would agree with this considering it is the second best selling SUV on the market. I think it is great you like your QX4 but you are just in the wrong forum.