Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• dickiej68dickiej68 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking for a new car. Its either the toyota 4 runner or the Jeep Cherokee. I wanted the jeep, for one its cheaper but all I see are reviews about the brakes and the problems. I dont see that with the 4 runner.
    I guess what I'm asking is that I need a vote of confidence that the 2001 grand cherokee is ok to purchase. I will get a used one with 45k. Do these cars stink after 75k?
    I'd enjoy some feedback if possible
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Are you comparing an '01 Grand to what year 4runner? The Grand is a hands down better vehicle than the older 4runners, regardless of reliability. The newest 4runners ('03 and up) are much nicer and compete better. If you were talking new, I'd look very seriously at a 4runner.

The 4runner has better resale value, although the difference is mainly in the first couple years. If you're looking at used models, the resale difference isn't a major concern. The current price difference between similar year/models will likely always be the same.

I don't think anyone would argue that the 4runner might be a more reliable vehicle, however the gap is not as wide as it may seem just from reading forums. Keep in mind the grand cherokee has typically outsold the 4runner 3-1 over the past 10 years. 3 times more people out there to have problems and complain about it, even if they had identical reliability. I have some relatives with a '99 Grand ltd. V8 with over 110k miles. Brakes gave them some problems at first and the driveshaft was replaced fairly early on. Beyond an occassional goofy outside temp indicator, it's been flawless since the early repairs.

They've been looking around at newer vehicles but have't bought anything yet just because they haven't been satisfied with anything they've found. They didn't care for the interior of the 4runner, thought the RX330 was too "minivanish", and the the GX470 was too big. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the grand a little longer.
  • dakotawilsondakotawilson Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a '96 JGC and was planning to buy a new one (despite having huge repair bills since hitting the $100K mark), but I reviewed the recent crash test ratings and found them to be worse for the GC than for similar 4WDs like the Toyota 4Runner. How concerned should I be about this?
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    My wife wants an SUV w/leather and a sunroof, and my wife thinks a 2002 JGC would fit the bill. I was wondering which is the engine to look for, 6cylinder or the 8cylinder? Any other advice on packages or styles to look for would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dennis
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    V8. Similar mpg as the 6cyl in the real world and a lot smoother/powerful.
  • jefalenjefalen Member Posts: 4
    I have just purchased a used 2001 GCL w/Quadra Trac II. Everything on this vehicle is almost new condition. The engine compartment looks brand new and the interior was never used except for the driver's seat. 1 owner, older gentleman,garage kept. It has 50k miles on it. I have only had it about a week but I am hearing a grinding type noise under the 4 HI/4 LO shifter lever. It only makes the sound when braking. Otherwise its quiet as a mouse. No vibrations or shifting problems. Anyone have any ideas what could be making the noise and why?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    As it only occurs when braking I would look first at the brake pads.
  • jefalenjefalen Member Posts: 4
    I had the brakes completely reworked but the sound is still there.......and its absolutely coming from right under the shifter...its almost like you could see the problem if the shifter cover was removed.
  • badbrakesbadbrakes Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 JGC required full brake job at 15k, and second full brake job at 34k. My wife's 2001 Sport made it to 20K before needing complete brake job (calibers, rotors, pads). I contacted Chrysler to log complaint since no recall has been made on this issue. In conversation with other Jeep owners that I work with (10), each have similar tales to tell. Question for this forum is whether this is a universal problem and one that Jeep should address via recall. Secondly, here's hoping that the 05 redesign looks closely at the 4WD system and the burden it places on the current brake system design.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    A good friend has a 99 JGC, with the 6, 2WD. The car overheats intermittantly, with no provocation at all, just goes to a boil, generally when under some load, but nothing serious. Has 40,000 miles on it. Other times, it just sits there right at the normal temperature with no fluctuation. Thermostat, fan clutch (twice), temp guage, & water pump have all be replaced. (So has the transmission and the rear end). Dealer is scratching their head now. Any advice out there?
  • faujifauji Member Posts: 1
    I have a98 GCL, 5.2L, V8, so far have loved this jeep, ride is smooth and have done 101k on it. Except for routine maintenance nothing so far. Recently i screwed up front passenger side door switch assy and replaced it with an aftermarket part. It works ok but the security system does not work when armed by the remote. However if i use door lock switch the LED starts blinking on closing the door (I am thinking the System is armed now. Any thoughts? Does the security system need a reset?
  • paul182paul182 Member Posts: 4
    I have a friend who is going to buy a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has 75,000 miles; it has the in-line 6. I just want to know if this was a good engine and transmission. Also, how long would one expect this vehicle to last.

Your help would be great.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Very reliable engine but a bit rough at idle. Make sure that reg oil chgs have been made, Have had 4 of these from 93 on and never had a problem.

Now have 2001 8. A lot more fun and no diff in gas milage.
  • funky_mcnastyfunky_mcnasty Member Posts: 2
    I've got a '98 with over 160K on the original I6 and tranny. I did have a tranny scare at about 125K, and most shops and the stealership said i'd need a new tranny, but then i found an honest shop, and they fixed it for $160. I've been very, very pleased with mine. The infinity system sucks though.
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    my experience.. bought '01 ltd new. had rotors turned at 12k and again at 30k. replaced rotors and pads with aftermarket parts: powerslot rotors and performance friction carbon metallic pads at approx 49k. left side caliper started dragging this past sunday and just about clamped completely shut. calipers were covered under warranty and replaced. curiously, the old ones were silver and these new ones are black. i believe there is a tsb (tech service bulletin) regarding the brake calipers so you may be able to take it into a jeep service dept and have them replaced for free.
  • aqbqcqaqbqcq Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have any experience with it? DVD or CD based? Can you listen to music while in use? Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    that the rotor problem is REALLY a caliper problem. There is a TSB on the issue. The bad calipers do not disengage from the rotors causing them to get to hot and warp. For that reason replacing the rotors may not necessarily solve the problem.

My calipers, rotors, etc. WERE replaced for a $50 copay AFTER 36 mo, because I was under the mileage AND had previouly had a warranty/service replacement for warped rotors.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    So if you are out of warranty and you have the issue, what calipers do you replace them with? Is there a new design in the brake system or a new part for new calipers I can use to replace them? Is this something I should be able to do myself?

If you have the TSB number too that would be good. My dealer is new to the Jeep side (my old dealer sold out to them) and the more info I have, the better I'll be doing and ensure I get the right work done.

I have a 2000 JGC Limited with 4.7V8.

-Paul
  • teegunnteegunn Member Posts: 3
    Hey all. First post here. I almost bought a new 2004 JGC today. It was the "freedom" package with the 4.7 HO engine. I have a couple of questions. First, does the HO engine REQUIRE premium fuel? If not, will the performance or mileage suffer greatly? Secondly, I heard that a new model of JGC is coming out in about 6 months. Is it a bad idea to buy a $30,000 vehicle in the last 6 months of production? Also, has anyone seen pics of the new JGC? Lastly, what major problems have been popping up on the 2002 and up JGC? I have seen a lot of posts on brake problems. Thanks for any and all info! It will help greatly on my decision to purchase or not.
  • teegunnteegunn Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone "lifted" a newer JGC? I would like to add an inch or two of lift and thought maybe bigger springs would do the trick. Also, I really like to have wider wheels/tires on my vehicles. Has anyone put on after market rims? Something aroung 16x9 or 16x10 would look nice IMO. I would just keep the stock tires/rims in storage for when I sold it down the line. Again, thanks for any info & advice. I really want to know what I am getting into with this vehicle BEFORE I buy it. Whether it is good or bad I want to know it!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Yep, that's a hockey arena.

I have an SUV; do I really need snow tires?

Steve, Host
  • blue99blue99 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited. The left brake light works properly when lights are off. When the lights are on, however, putting the brakes on causes the tail light to go out, and the brake light does not come on. All other lights work fine. Replaced bulb with the one from right side, but same problem. Also tried using a different socket, but still have problem. Dealer was unaware of any common problems. Has anyone else had this problem, or any ideas? I do not have a tow package.

Thanks!
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    so far, the official release date as we were told in a market meeting w/ corp execs this week for the new 05 GC is Fall 04. I dont know if 10 months makes any difference to you.
  • dmaxwellhdmaxwellh Member Posts: 11
    We have the RB1 system in our new JGC and love it. I am so impressed, that I am strongly considering adding it to my Ram 1500! I have the Sirius radio in the Ram and will also be adding it to the new Jeep. And yes, you can listen to the radio while in the navigation mode; the steering wheel controls work the nav. system, also.
  • atls4atls4 Member Posts: 8
    Hey, I also have the RB1 Nav radio but have the Sirus option activated. The Nav part works VERY well, I've used two other such system and this one works the best. Kudos goes to DB for using the NAVTech system that IMO is the best in the mapping industry.

The wheel controls work very well with the Nav and Sirus options, if any potential buyers are thinking about it do it.
  • bcato1bcato1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with Full Time 4WD. In cooler temperatures, transmission refuses to shift into 3rd until transmission warms up. Once warm, shifts just fine. Dealer recommends new or rebuilt tranny. Says that seals are hardening. Suggests as a temporary fix to add transmission seal softener additive. Different dealer last year said sensor needs replaced. Who to believe?
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm

go to the tsb section, then to 05-Brakes. alot of other interesting & useful info there.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "...It was the "freedom" package with the 4.7 HO engine. I have a couple of questions. First, does the HO engine REQUIRE premium fuel?"

NO, absolutely positively not. It is only recommended for "maximum" performance (i.e., power). I have been driving an GC with the HO quite awhile and use Regular fuel. I have tried Premium and cannot tell the difference.

"If not, will the performance or mileage suffer greatly?"

No, no difference whatsoever in the mileage, and as mentioned the performance hit is slight, experts have estimated no more than 3-5% power loss.

"Secondly, I heard that a new model of JGC is coming out in about 6 months. Is it a bad idea to buy a $30,000 vehicle in the last 6 months of production?"

The new 2005 Grand Cherokee starts production next July and will be in showrooms in October 2004. I don't think it's a "bad" idea to buy now, the 2004 models are great vehicles. But they will always change, year after year after year, you'll never be "caught up" unless you buy a new one every year.

"Also, has anyone seen pics of the new JGC?"

Only some computer generated images but nothing that has been confirmed as being exactly what it will look like. For the latest info on Grand Cherokees see this website: http://www.wjjeeps.com
    I have a 2000 JGC and want to get XM in it. I already have XM in another car and don't want different vendors in different cars (multi car discount for XM).

Does anybody here know if the 2000 stereos (Grand Cherokee Limited with Infinity systems (with 10 CD changer) has connections on the back to allow inputs or would I need to go the FM modulation route?

-Paul
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    Posted this on the problem board but I'll try it again here.

she really likes it. Now the other day, the MIL light came on and the dealer read the error code as a problem with the torque converter. My question is this, Wouldn't that be covered under the 7/70 mile powertrain warrenty? She does not have the warrenty book so I was hoping some one here would be able to help.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis
  • jerryseawajerryseawa Member Posts: 2
    Please see my query in Jeep Grand Cherokee Problem Section #709. Any input is appreciated!
  • desertmandesertman Member Posts: 30
    Hi all,

Someone posted a while back that aftermarket shocks and suspension components were superior to factory equipment.

Is it possible to improve both on-road and off-road handling at the same time with the installation of aftermarket shocks and sway bars? A poster talked about an AADCO sway bar (or anti-sway bar). I would love to be able to improve handling on-road and off-road, but I have no interest in hardcore off-road mods, like lifting and all that jazz. Realistically, a JGC that I buy will be on-road 95% of the time and want it to be a smooth, refined ride.

What would you do to improve the suspension if you had the time and money?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For a different take on shocks, check out this message:

idahodoug "Toyota Land Cruiser" Feb 10, 2003 8:24pm

Steve, Host
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I went to my dealer for the usual free car wash and asked what it would take to trade my 2001 limited for the 2004. The deal (here in chicago) was too good to pass on so I bought a loaded 2004 with the NAV system. I know the 2005 will be changed but I didn't want to buy the first year out (look at all the 1999 TSBs). Besides the 2004 has the adjustable pedals and for my wife who's 5 feet tall it is a nice to have. Anyway some here are some observations:

The 2004 seems quieter more refined (less gear noise wind noise etc.), rides a bit better, brake pedal feels better, steering is better (in general feels better put together). The nav system will be great for the wife (kids love it too). The mileage also seems to be better already. Some minuses - The decontenting is very evident - hood light gone, passenger mirror (no memory) front driver carpet (no dead pedal) lighted vanity mirrors look like they come from China, rear seat belts have no stops so they slide behind the seat bottom. I dont think the sound system is as good. The chrome wheels (an expensive option) appear to be clad in plastic. With all the pluses and minuses and the rebates out there I would still recommend the 2004 if you are thinking of getting a new jeep.
  • stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    I am looking at getting a used 04 or 04 Grand Cherokee or an 02 Liberty Renegade. Aside from liking the freshened look of the 04 JGC, I really dont know which one would be better. What advise do people have? I have always wanted a Grand, but with the current JGC being outdated next year... kinda makes me feel like I will indeed be getting an already old car with the Grand.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    With all the rebates I would go for the Grand Cherokee. True the 2005 is coming but if the past is any indication of the future the first 2 years are going to be rough for that one. I just did a 400 mile trip in my 2004 Grand and I must say it's vastly quieter and drives nicer than the 2001 I had before. Regarding the Liberty, Ive never driven one but I've sat in them and they don't do much for me.
    I see a LOT of previous generation GC's and still think they look great. They are different, but the look is nice. I was even thinking about trying to find a used Cherokee Sport for a play toy and workhorse around the house!

-Paul
  • isomanisoman Member Posts: 11
    I HAVE A 2000 GRAND CHEROKEE WITH QUADRA- DRIVE. IT HAS HAD A WHINE BETWEEN 55-65 MPH SINCE PURCHASE. THE WHINE WAS NOT VERY LOUD BUT CONTINUED TO GROW LOUDER AS THE MILEAGE INCREASED. IT WHINES WHEN I LET OFF THE GAS AND ESPECIALLY WHEN GOING DOWN HILL WHEN I LET OFF ON THE GAS. AS SOON AS I GIVE IT A LITTLE GAS IT STOPS. I CAN MAKE IT COME AND GO JUST BY GIVING IT GAS OR LETTING UP ON THE GAS. RECENTLY I TOOK IT IN TO THE JEEP DEALER AND UNDER EXTENDED GUARANTEE THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING IN THE REAR-END BUT THE CASING. THE WHINE IS STILL THERE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE HAD THIS AND WHAT DID THE DEALER DO TO FIX IT.
  • richdvcrichdvc Member Posts: 1
    I bought a off lease "00" GC that I'm verry happy with with 28k miles. The only thing that is driving me crazy is a noise in the dashboard when I hit 1700 RPM.It seems to be comming from the middle of the dash but I just can't pin it down. Any Ideas. I'm about to pull whats left of my hair out. Other whys I love this car. Tanks.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I have a 2003 limited GC but wanted a work car to put all my miles on as i drive 35-40K a year. I found a mint 98 GC 4x4 SE I-6. I put a 3" lift on it and although the steering is not as tight as the 03 i do like the gc. I put 20K on it so far now has 72K total and no problems this is a keeper for me and will keep well over 100K if no significant problems rise.
    my '01 jgcl is overdue (54k mi) for new tires and i'll be getting a set of goodyear fortera hl's (stock size). they're rated pretty high @ tirerack.com. they're on sale @gemini stores for 50% off srp (=$109 ea) + you get a $50 mfc mail-in rebate.
  • rudygoodogrudygoodog Member Posts: 1
    We bought a brand new 99 Ltd. with all of the options...loved it thoroughly for 4.5 years. Recently traded in for a 2004 Yukon SLT, taking advantage of year-end deals...while also realizing the Jeep was getting some mileage and wear on it. While the new vehicle is bigger, brand new and has the "important" options like leather seats & sunroof...I find myself in a state of mourning for the Jeep. I loved that vehicle!! I can't bond with the new Yukon. Wonder if anyone else has had the same experience? Or am I being overly sentimental?
  • jeepluverjeepluver Member Posts: 4
    I understand completely. Long time jeep owner here and still have my original purchase, a used 76 CJ. But I have had two JGC in a row and last May I sold it and purchased a used 2001 Tahoe (wife works at a Chevy Dealership). Talk about disappointment, It rides nice and is comfortable but first thing I noticed was lack of power and passing ability. I'm not one to go light on the gas and when I push it down I expect some reaction. With the Jeeps it was instant, not so with the Tahoe. A lot of "automatic" things as well that I don't need. It is bigger which is nice with a two year old and dogs but I can't wait to get back into a Jeep. Wish they would build a bigger one. Once a Jeep owner....always a Jeep owner!
  • stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    Hello all-

I finally did decide to get a Grand Cherokee Larado. I got a used 03 with 10,000 miles on it. It has a sun roof and fogs. I got it for 20,405 which I think was a good deal.

Anyway, want to know what are good sites to go to for aftermarket parts/accessories.

Also, would like to know if anyone knows how to change the light bulbs in the overhead consoles (the map lights by the trip computer).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • gatorfcgatorfc Member Posts: 10
    I posted this in the problems board, but I thought I'd give a heads up over here as well.

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition in Midnight Blue Pearlcoat. Picture of which can be seen here:

gatorfc "Jeep Owners: Photo Gallery" Jul 5, 2003 3:33pm

I love it and have had no mechanical problems with it (knock on wood), however I am disappointed in the durability of the paint job. Three small spots on the hood and one on the roof have developed "spiderwebbing", small cracks, and flaking. Now I know bird drop acidity is hell on paint, but this jeep is less than 10 months old! Regardless, I've washed my jeep religiously (it being new and all) and would definitely have not left any bird crap baking on the hood. Thankfully, it hasn't spread.

One dealer has told me it wouldn't be covered under the 3/36K unless it was a factory defect. I would think that bad paint or bad application is a defect. Another told me it would be covered. Has anyone else had this problem? Especially owners who have the Midnight Blue Pearlcoat. Could this be the start of "Defective Chrylser Paint Jobs: The Sequel"?
  • gatorfcgatorfc Member Posts: 10
    If you haven't already found these sites or been directed to them by members in this forum check out:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/
    http://www.nagca.com/nagca.htm
    http://jeepin.com/index.asp
    http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/
    http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jeepweb.htm

Those should give you enough to chew on for awhile.
  • k59k59 Member Posts: 9
    Hey everyone I'm lookiat getting a (most likely) 99 JGC Limited 4x4.. Probably the V6 model for gas mileage reasons. And it will likely have no more than but around 70,000 miles. But with all of the reviews I'm somewhat skeptical. It seems like someone either ng gets a good one or a bad one, no middle. I really love the styling and it feels really posh inside, I just have to have one. Owners - should I still look for one? I'm serious about buying very soon so please help me out. Also, what should I pay for one that I've described?
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    you mean I6. And if you find one you like with a V8, I wouldn't let engine size be a deal breaker. I don't think there's that much difference in mileage. From what i've read here, It ain't that great with either one. (But I do very little highway driving.)

I have a '99 V8, 41K, that has been problem free except for replaced rotors, then rotors AND calipers. Both were covered with small co-pays after the warrantys ran out at 18 and 36 mos.(That's a different conversation.)

I found this site a month after purchasing. From what I could see, MANY problems were noted at the beginning of production in '99. I attribute much my happiness so far with a late build date, May '99.
  • nittany1978nittany1978 Member Posts: 4
    What if you had a choice. I work for a mining company that currently provides a "company vehicle" for use on the job and also driving it home, however, that policy is changing and I will shortly have to buy my own and be reimbursed. The reimbursement is based on a $25,000 vehicle, the only stipulations are that it be applicable to the job (4WD and ground clearance in my case for occasional off-road use) which means either an SUV or a pickup. I have narrowed it down to a Chevy or Ford extended cab pickup, or a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer. I had a 93 JGC, both my wife and I loved it and were sorry when we got rid of it at 143k miles when the reliability waned and the maintenance cost skyrocketed. I currently drive a 2000 F150 pickup, not opposed to a pickup but really miis the looks and handling, especialy in snow, of an SUV. I'm somewhat concerned about reliability (rotor/brake, etc) and resale issues of a Jeep. If you had a choice, what would you choose?
  • dsjeeptidsjeepti Member Posts: 61
    What your needs are. If hauling bulky items is necessary, go with on of the pickups (I like the new F-150). If carrying multiple people in relative comfort, go with the Explorer. BUT for the most fun both on and off road, go JEEP. The rotor/brake issue is a thing of the past. My 2003 JGC I6 now has nearly 11,000 trouble free miles and we love it. Space (leg room) is a bit tight (kids don't mind though)in the back seat, but for it's exterior size, it holds a lot. Have tackled some very deep snow with minimum fuss. Only gas mileage is a low point, something all of your choices are guilty of.
    Hope this helps,
    DS