Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

1434445464749»

Comments

• strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    Two issues/questions on my 2011 JGC:

1) Does anyone else have a "squeaking" driver's seat? My JGC has 20,000 (easy) miles on it, and it makes little, but noticeable, squeaks or creaking noises whenever I take a corner or adjust in the seat. Frankly it sounds like poor workmanship, but I don't really see a "bolt" or anything to easily tighten that would solve the problem. We have a 2008 Honda Pilot with 100,000 (harder) miles on it, and no squeaks in the seats; same with my previous vehicle - an '05 Acura TL with ~85,000 miles. I'm scratching my head over this problem. It's still under warranty, but I don't see how the dealer is going to fix this; and even if they replace the seat, my hunch is Jeep will replace it with one of equal quality.

2) The Goodyear Fortera's are HORRIBLE in heavy rain - I mean HORRIBLE!!! It's a little better in snow, but still pales in comparison to our Honda Pilot. I've never experienced anything like it. For now I'm chalking it up to the tires, and not blaming Jeep (though I've shared my concern with their corporate office). What happens during heavy rains is that when I hit any sort of pooled water in the road (and we're not talking Noah's Ark type of water...we're talking a minor low spot in the road that accumulates maybe 1" or so of water), the Jeep pulls hard to the side of the road with the water. And I'm talking HARD. When I first encountered this my son and I were driving back from up north towing our boat behind us, in a rain storm (again, heavy rain, but not biblical proportions). We hit a puddle in the highway going ~55 mph and I thought the wheel was ripped out of my hands it cranked so hard and so fast. No other vehicles in front of us reacted like ours, and I watched the headlights behind us for quite a while, and no other vehicles reacted the same way. Has anyone else had any issues with these Fortera's? If so, what did you switch to, and what's working well for tires?

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you bought a new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Fiat "special edition" model in the past year or so - or if you are a dealer who sold one - a reporter would love to hear about it. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 10, 2012 with your daytime phone number and a brief description of the car and your experience with it.
  • eric127eric127 Member Posts: 3
    this post has two parts;
    last week i dropped my Overland off because i got caught in a heavy rain on the soccer field, drove home and 10 minutes later, my hand sewn seats were ruined.. the lower back portion of the seat was no longer taut. they sagged, and felt like there was air pockets behind the leather.. has anyone had this issue?

while having the dealer check this out.. i drove a v6 limited with 18 inch wheels.. it was a much tighter feel, handled corners better.. one foreman suggested it was because of the suspension was not the air suspension the overland has.. the overland feels like it tilts when i go around corners... might be the size of the wheels as well.. i would think the overland would handle better, but i'm considering switching to a limited.. just not sure if its the air suspension or just the size of the wheel.. has anyone noticed the difference in how the two differ in handling
  • linda102linda102 Member Posts: 1
    try checking the cabin air filter.
  • lrh103lrh103 Member Posts: 1
    I was curious if you bought it and how you like it. My daughter is considering one but i am concerned after reading alot of transmission issues with the 2007's. Thank you.
    "A refreshed 2014 Grand Cherokee was unveiled at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show, packed with new features that shove the Grand Cherokee even farther up the desirability scale.

The most significant change comes under the hood, where the 2014 Grand Cherokee will offer the option of diesel power. Seems Chrysler's been talking about a diesel GC forever and finally the German competition's worst nightmare is reality: A 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel designed and built by Italy's VM Motori (half-owned by Fiat) generates a bludgeoning 420 pound-feet of torque and will yank 7,400 pounds of trailer."

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Unveiled at 2013 Detroit Auto Show
  • jwlehrkejwlehrke Member Posts: 1
    Wheel size is everything except about 30 percent. The reduced side wall of the tire gives it that extra bit of tightness. Bigger swamp buggy tires would be very obvious comparision but you get the point. Allthewayjumper!
  • HammertimeHammertime Member Posts: 14
    The Grand Cherokee did have a diesel option in 2007 and 2008 which didn't meet California emissions. I have one of the '08s with the Mercedes 3.0 liter diesel and will be replacing it with the 2014 diesel when they hit our local dealers.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Has anybody heard anything on when the diesel engines will be available? The website says "late availability"?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    "Federal safety regulators have asked Chrysler to recall the 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-'07 Jeep Liberty. Last June, NHTSA expanded its investigation into Chrysler fires and upgraded the matter to an engineering analysis, citing 15 deaths and 41 injuries allegedly caused by rear crashes in some Jeep models. The focus was originally on the 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the investigation now includes 1993-2001 Jeep Cherokees and 2002-'07 Jeep Libertys."

Chrysler Refuses To Recall 2.7 Million Jeeps, Despite Pressure From Feds
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I was hoping to try out the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel before buying a new SUV. I went in there in April to look at the 2014 GC. I liked what I saw. I asked when the diesel version would be available for test driving? The salesman said they would start coming in June. It is now the middle of June and I called the dealer here in San Diego this morning. The salesman said they went for a familiarization on the JGC eco diesel. They were told it would be out the end of the year. :sick: I am not going to wait that long.
    Yeah, Jeep's website says "The new 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine (late availability) delivers clean-diesel technology with low CO2 emissions."
    The Jeep salesman said you cannot depend on Chrysler to meet their commitment dates. They may have trouble getting the engines from Italy. And their plan was to buy the first of the 8 speed ZF transmissions from Germany. They are supposedly tooling up a factory in the USA to build the transmission. He also told me they have dropped the saddle brown leather that I really liked in the 2013 GC. May be for the best. No way the JGC eco diesel will deliver the mileage of the GLK250 Bluetec.
    edited June 2013
    Chrysler may be shunting money aside to fight the big recall proposed by the NHTSA too. But they have to have stuff in the pipeline or the money flow will just shut off.
    Don't they have plans to open another US factory for the Grand Cherokee? Sounds like a recipe for less than great vehicles for a while. You will have UAW militants that hate installing foreign parts. I think buying a vehicle made in Germany is the safest right now.
  • kennethw123kennethw123 Member Posts: 8
    I test drove a 2014 Summit last night (awesome) but I too am interested in the diesel. The dealership had just this week ordered several, with arrival date in early December. That works for me as my target date is in March. I want to drive one first, but reviews have been very positive on the diesel so far.
    I did not get a chance to drive the Summit. I did look it over very closely in the showroom. The one we looked at had the saddle tan leather. A first class luxury SUV in my opinion. I needed a new SUV by October which they told me in April would be for sure. As you can see it has been pushed out to December. I do hope you get one when you need it. I think it will be a great choice. We really like the Touareg TDI so far. The ML350 Bluetec shares the same chassis design as the JGC and it is a dandy diesel SUV also. I think the JGC and Touareg give you the most bang for the buck.
  • frankc55frankc55 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a brand new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Rides nice seems to be well built.

I am how ever noticing a loud and constant noise in the front dash radio area. This noise is under the fornt dash area.

Any ideas?

Frankc55

Anyone test drive the new Grand Cherokee Eco diesel? My local dealer has not gotten one he will allow test drives with.

What's that all about - are the ones coming in already sold?

Not sure. I called when I saw they had a couple on their website. And asked about a test drive. They told me none were available for test. I have left my name and number with two different salesmen at Carl Burger Jeep. They were supposed to call when they get a GC Diesel in for test drive. No biggie, though somewhere over the next 4 years I will want to test drive one. It has a very high standard to beat with my Touareg TDI.