Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• blujeepblujeep Member Posts: 44
    I hope you get your problem resolved.
    I've also read that the Jeep's 4.0 I-6 is bullet proof, (& I'm glad!) but like you said, it's all of the other problems Jeeps seem to have that makes me nervous. That's why I got an extended warranty on it, good for 7 years/100,000 miles. You know I'll be replacing the transmission, transfer case & God know what else before I run it into the ground! :-)
    I'm also gonna switch to Amsoil synthetic oil, automatic transmission fluid & gear lube (for the axles) - maybe I'll squeeze a little more life & performance out of it.
  • antzantz Member Posts: 13
    I always wanted to own a JGC and the wait is over. I am planned to buy it this year but debating wether should I go ahead and purchase the 2001JGC with I6 engine while good rebate is offered or should I better wait for the 2002 JGC with V6 engine will be avaible in the fall. Any advise or infos is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Antz
    I know the new Liberty will have it, one reason being that the old I-6 doesn't fit under the short hood.
    But I haven't heard anything yet about the JGC getting it. Where did you hear about this?
  • antzantz Member Posts: 13
    Blujeep,

I attended the Cleveland International Auto Show last March. They shown off the new Liberty, but don't let any one look inside the car!? I found this is odd. I asked the show representative if DC want people to buy it? He said yes, but DC also want people to buy the Cherokees glut the inventory out there. Any way, they also show a cut-away the new 3.7V6 engine. I asked the rep. about the engine and they said it will replace the retired I-6 engine in the fall. I did ask him specifically about the 02JGC whether it will be replaced and he said yes. However, I did notice the new 3.7V-6 engine manifold It is made of some sort of plastic or fiberglass? I don't know if it is good enough to withstand the prolong heat stress?!!! I don't know if any can shred some light to this?

Ant
    I'm a little surprised at this news. No offense to you, but I'm not sure I believe what that rep told you. I would think we would have read something about it in Motor Trend or Truck Trend or some other auto/truck magazine. This seems like pretty big news for Jeep, ya think they would wanna promote it.
    I noticed the same thing about the Liberty at the NY Auto Show - I couldn't get in it 'cause the doors were locked! Odd...
    Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions about the plastic parts of the engine, maybe someone else will.
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    I read biky's post #346 and thought I could shed some light.

An engine will knock or ping when fuel injectors are clogged because the fuel supply is being shut off, sort of like crimping a garden hose.

Your engine is still running under the assumption that it is getting plenty of fuel. So, the fuel/ air mixture is running heavy towards the air side. Not enough fuel with too much air will make an engine ping. It will also lower your gas mileage because you have to keep your foot to the floor, and keep the transmission in a lower gear, to get power.

The higher octane in premium fuel will reduce the pinging slightly because, by definition, higher octane resists pre-detonation; pinging.

I discovered all of this when I drove a '91 Cadillac Seville. The car was great but around 90,000 miles it developed a serious ping. The dealer told me that he could clean the injectors for a couple hundred dollars or I could try Chevron Techron for $6, as you did.

The Techron cleaned the injectors, restored power, increased my gas mileage, saved money, all the good stuff.

So now I add Techron to the gas tank of whatever I'm driving every 3000 miles. And no, I don't work for Chevron or even own Chevron stock.

But I don't understand the part of your posting about an engine hesitating when using higher octane fuel. That shouldn't happen. An engine will usually run better with higher octane or you will notice no difference, depending on the car.
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    a 2001 JGC. But I have serious doubts.

If these SUVs are so bad why are people still buying them. I see plenty of them on the road, and not at the side of the road but actually being driven to work and to the grocery store and through the Smokey Mountains. They're everywhere. I can't believe that people are still paying $30K+ for JGCs if they are so awful.

And how did Chrysler go from being the darling of Detroit to being reviled in three years. Who cares if rich Americans or rich Germans own Chrysler, as long as they build good vehicles?

Back to the subject, would I be better off if I stay with a no-frills Laredo with the standard transfer case and the I6 and skip all of the fancy stuff?

I admit I only need 4-wheel drive about one week a year, but it sures is handy when you need it.

Any input, either positive or negative, is helpful.
  • lovethosesuvslovethosesuvs Member Posts: 95
    Drove shiny new black Liberty yesterday and it was great!! It felt solid and peppy--engine had a lot of zip. Liked the interior.

Couple of things though:
    1. The back seats don't fold all the way down!
    2. You feel like you're really close up to the windshield.
    3. Back opens side-to-side (but window opens up). Would rather have the traditional lift up or down.

Drove a JGC for comparison afterwards. In my mind, no comparison. Felt big and luxurious for in my mind just a little more money. Ride was smoother--engine not as peppy but very powerful. Felt more secure in the JGC than in the Liberty. But Liberty is still in the running, as is the Escape (still like the Escape better than any of them). Will probably buy in fall.
    So it was nice, huh? I wanna test drive one soon too, even tho I'm not in the market for one. :lol

Which engine did the JGC have, sounds like it was the 4.0. I happen to like that engine, very torquey.

I agree about the swing gate, but then where would the spare go? There isn't that much cargo space as it is if it were put under the load floor like in the JGC...
    Hi blujeep,

Yes it was really nice. I'm making a decision grid with all of the attributes I'm looking for down the left-hand rows, and all the models across each column. Surprisingly, the Escape comes out on top for me, and the Cherokee next, then the Liberty. That's how I will make my decision--on the criteria that will result in a purchase/no purchase decision.

I think it was the 4.0 in the JGC. Quite nice. The seats were so soft--felt like easy chairs.

But I hear for 2002 that privacy glass will be standard on the Escape :(. Might make me move sooner, as I don't like the dark interior that privacy glass gives.
    I sat in one at the auto show & the quality of the interior & the absolutely cheap sound of the door when I closed it kinda turned me off. Of course I haven't driven one yet so that was only a first impression.
    The Hyundai Santa Fe, to my surprise, looked & felt much more solid (it received much better crash test scores than the Escape) & the interior is beautifully appointed with leather & brushed aluminum accents...I was very impressed. Tho the Escape does have more power...I'm glad I'm not in the markey right now, there are too many nice suv's out there... :-)

Privacy glass isn't such a bad thing - just get a light-colored interior & it won't seem so dark. A sunroof helps too. The dark glass actually keeps the interior cooler in the hot weather & your back-seat passengers won't have to wear their sunglasses back there. :-)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    While I was swayed by the snazz of owning a JGC or even a Liberty, I decided that I wasn't willing to take chances to have one of these horror stories on my hands, so signed on the dotted line and ordered an Escape (liked the mini-SUV idea).

Maybe if DC can improve quality for a Pathfinder-like record, I'll try them next time.
  • bikybiky Member Posts: 20
    So I have another pro-PF here :) Regarding your buying an Escape and not going for JGC, they aren't the same size/class. JGC does have a lot of problems, which you might have read thru. Escape is new on the road, hope it works well.
  • donmildonmil Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I would add my comments concerning JGC rotor problems. At 16,682 miles I had to have the rotors turned due to warping. Not covered under warranty, even though the dealer expressed that it is a well known problem with JEEP. In retrospect, I should have simply replaced them with another brand. Part cost, purchased elsewhere, would have been about the same as the dealer charged to turn the factory ones.
    Even I dont understand the "hesitation to use high octane gas". But this is what is written on Chevron Techron. My jeep was definitely driving better since I changed to 87, and put the Techron. But the problem of rpm fluctuation didn't go totally. So I took it again to a dealership. They said, it was low on transmission fluid. Also they suggested that the plug cables had current leaking, b'coz of which the rpm was fluctuating. I never heard of this cable getting bad so soon, mine has 49k milies, so I declined it. Started driving. After driving for around 2-3 hours the same day, the problem reappeared. The Check Engine light came on again. The gears slipped, rpm went up, car dint want to speed up, all this in the middle of the highway. Had to turn off the engine and turn back on. Took it to the same dealership again, the same evening. They said the speed sensor needs to be replaced again, the last time I replaced it was long back... gosh ! 2 full weeks. Anyway, they changed this and they changed plug cables, for which they charged me $120. This IMO should have been covered under my MaxCare warranty, 'coz it's not a wearable part and it shouldn't have gone bad in 4 yrs. Yesterday evening, when I drove it, it was fine. But I don't know if it's gonna stay that way, or if this is just a temporary fix.

Regarding 2wd/4wd... I would seriously suggest that you go for a 4wd. I bought my Jeep in Nashville, dint think that a 4wd would be necessary. But soon after that I realized that I had to be extremely slow on turns on a wet road. I started thinking I should have taken a 4wd. Later when I had to move to Minneapolis, I just found out how big a mistake I made by buying a 2wd SUV. I wanted to trade it in for another car, I was offered $9k for a 3.5 yr old with 42k miles, and my Jeep has a sunroof, infinity speakers, dual 10-way power seats. So the resale is extremely low. So I'll strongly suggest (and I know many others will), take a 4wd.

If you are in/around Nashville, Hansen Chrysler on Charlotte Ave. downtown is a good dealership. This service manager named Pete Stobbs, is good, to say the least. Even though I din't buy my jeep from them, I had the best service from them. They even changed my wiper blade once under warranty, which is supposedly a wearable part. Well, good luck with your Jeep.
    Call Chrysler. They'll reimburse you the amount you had to pay for your rotor replacement.

I had the same problem. Once they changed the rotor under recall, they said my front brake pads also need to be changed. I accepted that, and was charged for it.

In less than a year, and after about 8k miles, a dealership said that the rotors are warped again and need to be replaced. They dint charge me for it. But they also recommended changing the brake pads again. And they charged me for it again, around $100. I took it up with Chrysler, told them that it was b'coz of bad rotor that my brake pads went bad in just 8k miles. They readily refunded me the 100 bucks.

And your problem is the rotor itself. So I feel they would consider it. Good Luck.
  • amassingillamassingill Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to upgrade to an SUB. I have checked out a lot of our local dealerships to determine exactly which vehicle is my favorite. I fell in love I/ a 2000 JAG. When I tried to haggle I/ the salesman, he would barely budge off the sticker price. He was actually very hateful! I called a few days later to discover the Jeep was gone.

Since then, I have (thankfully!) visited this message board. No wonder people are turning them in! I had no idea that new cars could cause so much trouble. The same complaints are typed over and over. Unfortunately, my search will start over... I'm thinking about a Montero Sport. Any suggestions?
    Consider the Pathfinder--great reliability but the price tag was a little steep for me...plus, the dealer in my town also owns the Mazda franchise, and they were penultimately rude to me in refusing me a test drive on the Tribute, so I nixed that choice.

I ordered an Escape--great value in a mini-SUV. If you are considering a mini, this will be an even better vehicle in 2002 (2001 was the first model year, but I bought a 2001 since privacy glass will be standard on the 2002 and I don't want it).

Too bad, I had been dreaming about a Jeep for years but just don't want to sign up for the problems I've been reading about.
  • anditoranditor Member Posts: 1
    i just got an offer on a demo GC Limited 4.7 l 2000 with full package for 29K. it has only 5K miles, runs OK (though it sounded is was in constant 3rd shift at 60 mph) and only some minor paint scratches. is this a reasonable offer?
    andor
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    here's a link to my earlier post with the details of my purchase. my jgcl is fully loaded but w/o the 4x4. that price seems okay considering the price i got included a carmax rebate of $1500. maybe it's a little high when you take into account the 5k miles.

leo948 Jan 12, 2001 2:10pm

hope that helps..
    leo
  • gtownguygtownguy Member Posts: 73
    HELLO ALL, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE EVER REPLACED THE STOCK FACTORY RADIO UNIT WITH ONE THAT INCLUDES A CD PLAYER AND STILL MAINTAIN THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS. I HAVE A 98 JGC LAREDO WITH THE INFINITY GOLD SYSTEM. I'D LIKE TO GET A CD PALYER IN THE DASH AN STILL MAINTAIN THE STEER WHEEL BUTTONS. CRUTCHFIELD WAS NO HELP. IF NO ALTERNATIVE IS THERE SOMEPLACE I COULD GET THE UPGRADED FACTORY UNIT AT A REASONABLE PRICE? I'D PREFER NOT TO HAVE THE REMOTE CD BOX IN THE BACK. ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED..
    THANKS
  • jeepintahoejeepintahoe Member Posts: 2
    I had the steering column stabilizer replaced in my JGC and it fixed the steering wheel vibration problem. Of course, this was only after I was told it was the shocks, the brakes, the tires, etc.
    for my '99 JGC. I like what I've been readin' about them so I decided to give it a go! I got a good price for 'em too - $70 ea. minus the $27 rebate = $253 for 4 or $63.25 each.
    Anyone here have these shock on their GC??
    I'm hoping to reduce alotta the lean during turns & the nose diving during hard braking. As long as they don't make the ride too harsh...from what I've read I think these guys should do the trick.
    Any feedback would be appreciated. :-)
  • ozzy_zakozzy_zak Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone hear that Mobil Gas (not the Exxon blend) has a additive in it that errodes the lining of Jeep gas tanks; mixes with the fuel, then virtually destroys the fuel pump and eventually the entire fuel system!? My Jeep started to buck so I called my mechanic. He asked me what type of fuel I was using. When I told him Mobil, he was apprehensive but told me the story. I called about 15 dealers around the state, and 80%, more or less, confirmed the story. Some Jeep technitions told me outward that it's true but their under a hush order. I spoke to the head of Exxon/Mobil customer relations, but he was hesitiant to confirm anything. DamlerChrysler is also giving me the run around. Imagine what this would do to the bottom line of both companies if this got out. I'm not making this up.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Well since there is no other reports of gas destroying other vehicle's fuel tanks, guess who is at fault here? Must be Chrysler cutting corners again...
  • bblahabblaha Member Posts: 329
    That's some very expensive gas! I wonder if its the HCl or the U235 additive thats the problem. Hopefully, Mobil engineers will have a solution worked out soon.
    Don't you think it would be all over the news & the internet if it were true??? *rolls his eyes*

It better NOT be true - I switched from Getty to Mobil last Sept while on vacation & noticed that I got slightly better fuel economy & a smoother-running engine, etc. so I stuck with it in my JGC & also put it in my Nissan Altima. Just my luck! LoL!!
  • unclefroggyunclefroggy Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had the same problem with the brakes that I am having with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Basically the car shakes and shimmies when slowing down, esp at highway speeds.

Twice before this has happened and they had to resurface and de-warp the rotors. It appears this happens about every 7,000 miles.

Is this a known pervasive problem or do I just have bad luck? Is there a service bulletin on it?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    "Twice before this has happened and they had to resurface and de-warp the rotors. It appears this happens about every 7,000 miles. Is this a known pervasive problem or do I just have bad luck?"

You're joking, right? Try reading all the messages here and you'll have your answer. Here, I'll start you off neveragain5 "Jeep Grand Cherokee problems" Jun 6, 2001 2:01am
  • eenglisheenglish Member Posts: 22
    There is a TSB on this (#21-01-00 Feb 4,2000)
    1999-2000 JGC
    42RE built before Sept1,1999 or
    46RE built before Dec1,1999
    Replacement of the transmission valve body upper upper housing separator plate
    and valve body check valve

Eddie
  • eenglisheenglish Member Posts: 22
    I have a 99 JGC which had a bang in the right rear going over bumps at 15000.

The dealer said that the shock had failed and said that they replaced both shocks.
    Now 7000 miles later the left rear shock has failed.
    I can't see a shock failing after 7000 miles of mostly highway driving and suspect that the
    dealer only changed the right rear shock (or they get their shocks from the same people
    they get their brake components)

I have seen lots of problems posted here but none on shocks.

Any others have shock problems.

At 15000 they also said that they replaced the rotors.

After 3000 miles they were warped again.

Any new info of what might be the the best non-Jeep rotors and pads at a reasonable price.
  • winnyvwinnyv Member Posts: 30
    What state are you in? I would like to call all the dealers in your state and confirm this Mobil thing. I haven't heard a thing abuot this. I have always used Mobil gas with no problems.
  • lifeguardlifeguard Member Posts: 8
    My wife drives a 2000 JGC Lore do with 6100 miles at about 4500 the brake rotors warped. It's so bad now they have to be replaced. Ford had the same problem until about 1997. I had no idea Jeep had the same problem. I know that turning the rotors does no good and only weakens what is left of the rotor. Did you deal with Chrysler direct or was it through your dealer? You also refer to a recall, how long ago did the recall take place? I'll bet there is a bulletin to dealers about the problem, does anyone know about that? I would appreciate any information I could get.
  • bblahabblaha Member Posts: 329
    Heads up.

Ozzy_zak's one post at Edmunds TH is to inform you that Mobil gas will melt your gas tank.

Let the troll's feed elsewhere...
    I didn't realize it was his only post. I thought the whole thing sounded awfully stupid. :-) BTW, I've filled up my Jeep & Altima a few times since that post. LoL!!
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

I'm normally over in the Wrangler area, but a friend of mine has a 96 Grand Cherokee and wants a full waterproof cover. What's the best place to get one? (other than ordering from a dealer for $225)? Thanks for any info...

yellowman
    I can't believe the difference these shocks make!!! They perform just like Edelbrock promises on their site! Cornering & driving on curvy roads - the Jeep stays flatter than I thought possible, enabling me to maintain speed thru the curve, rather than braking as I make the approach. I can even change lanes on curves, while maintaining speed. Brake dive is also greatly reduced.
    Even with this increased firmness & improved handling, the ride doesn't suffer, in fact it's smoother than before. The JGC rides pretty smoothly anyway, but now it's much better! Speed bumps I don't even feel, the dipping & hobby-horsing I used to do over RR crossings is gone! The body stays level while the suspension dances all over the place!
    Granted, some 'hits' seem harder, or at least louder, but as my wife pointed out, you don't feel them. I grin everytime I hit a big pothole or go over broken pavement & the Jeep just glides over it! :-)
    These shocks really are the best of both worlds, soft on rough pavement & firm on curves. I heartily recommend them to anyone who owns a JGC; install them & you won't regret it! It's definitely the best money I've put into my Jeep. :-)
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    The Edelbrock shocks seem to have been a good investment. I'd like to know where you bought the shocks and how much you paid.
    I ordered them thru my mechanic - they were $75.00 ea + $45 labor - $27.00 rebate so that's, um, $318.00. Not bad, IMO. They list for around $90.00 ea, I think.
    You can get them a few dollars cheaper from Performance Products.
    Let me know what you decide to do.
  • ereberereber Member Posts: 5
    1999 Grand Cherokee Limited 16000 miles and needing it's 5th break job. Does any one know if Jeep is making it standard practice to replace these defective rotors beyond the 12,000 mile brake warranty. The dealership did it at 14,000 miles for me but acted like they were doing me a personal favor. Also if anyone could e-mail me or post e-mail addresses of contacts at Jeep or Chrysler that can get results about this bake problem please let me know, I'm dyeing to unload on someone. Thanks ereber@mailexcite.com
  • jeep33jeep33 Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 95 GAL 5.2 v8. I am looking at a 98 5.9 V8; would appreciate anyone who has good or bad experience with 5.9 V8 giving their comments on this particular model. Thanks
  • denali8denali8 Member Posts: 3
    I know Jeep has introduced the Liberty for 2002. What other models will Jeep introduce for 2002 and when? Will the Grand Cherokee be redesigned or update for 2002 and when?
  • beepjeepbeepjeep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000GCL fully loaded. Having had lots of fun with it. But there is a major problem that hasn't been fixed. When driving at 70mph - 80 mph, there is a high pitch noise when you apply gas paddle, it comes from some where underneath. If you take your foot off the gas pedal, the noise goes away. The sound is not like ordinary gear whine, but rather like a cellular phone ringing. It feels like there are 2 pieces of metal parts colliding with each other repeatedly. It's not very loud but you can clearly hear it. I've read people here having gear whine when they release the gas paddle at 55-75mph. But my problem is just the opposite I went to the dealer several months ago and they let drove a 2001GCL, and it has exactly the same problem. And they told me there was no fix from DC. I'm going back to have the 12,000mil maintaince soon. I wonder if any one has seen the same problem and got it fixed.
  • robtwrobtw Member Posts: 4
    Talk to me about problems on the 2001 C. I am all too familiar with the brake and transmission problems on my '99. Now at 35K and needs a new owner. Want to know if Jeep fixed the brake problems by going to the 17" wheels and if the transmission still goes "clunk" on the 2001's.
  • lifeguardlifeguard Member Posts: 8
    We just had my wife's 2000 JGC Lore do 2 wheel drive at the dealer to replace the front rotors at 6000 miles (they warped at 4000). The service re. called my wife during the day and informed her that the rotors were re-surfaced and not replaced when she specifically said to replace them. When we picked up the JGC I let the service re. know what I thought about turning down rotors that were bad to start with. After a few minutes he realized I wasn't going to buy his corporate AS and agreed with me that the vehicle would be back at the dealer in about 4000 miles because re-surfacing makes the rotor weaker and even more prone to warping. The service re. told me that the latest service bulletin from DC directs dealers to re-surface the rotors and not replace them until the problem is solved buy building a new rotor that won't warp. He also told me to expect a recall to replace rotors before the end of the year. In the mean time I guess it's warp and fix every 4000 to 5000 miles unless you spend about $150.00 for a set of Stilled rotors.
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I heard that 2002 GC would get a interior make over, does anyone if this is true.
  • sandyboysandyboy Member Posts: 114
    Grand Cherokee Limited
    Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Liberty Limited
    Liberty Sport
    Wrangler Sahara
    Wrangler Sport
    Wrangler SE
    (Seems empty without the Cherokee Limited & Sport ~ doesn't it?)
  • milousmilous Member Posts: 39
    The biggest news perhaps is a special limited edition model with a 270HP HO V8. Side air bags are finally added, and even better they are side curtain style covering front to rear. Adjustable pedals, rain sensor wipers, tire pressure sensors and new colors are other options. I'll be anxious to see if there are any minor changes to the interior. With the side airbags option the passenger assist handle will have to be moved from the ceiling, let's hope they didn't follow Ford's solution to this by putting a cheap ugly handle on the pillar.
    Anyone here familiar with Thorley Headers? They seem to be the only manufacturer who makes headers for Jeeps with the 4.0 liter I-6 engine. At least I can't find any others!
    I want to know if they are a reputable brand, do they perform well & hold up over time, stuff like that. Oh, & can headers in general cause problems with the OEM computer & oxygen sensor? Or void waranty's?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :-)