Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• lblesterlblester Member Posts: 1
    6 mo. ago I purchased a 97 GC with Quadra Trac. When we rec. our first snow storm I found out the closes thing I had to a "Quatra Trac" was the name on the plate (bezel) which surrounds the shifting lever! What I had was a Selecta Trac where I had to shift into full time or part time 4wd! When I thougth I was in 4WD all the time I was in 2W rear wheel drive only!

What am I loosing by not having the Quadra Trac? What is the difference in cost between the transfer cases?

Any help would be appreciated!

Bob
  • suvarefunsuvarefun Member Posts: 4
    OK my numbers where off. But you won't get anyone dealer to sell you that JGCL for 32,200. Also I don't understand A holdback as a courtesy? If you look at Edmunds.com explanation you will see that and I quote "It does not appear as an itemized fee on the window sticker and is included in the invoice price cost of the car. If the car sells in 90 days of arrival on the dealers lot he is guaranteed a profit even if the vehicle is sold to you at cost."
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    What Edmunds stuff is saying is that it's not a discrete item, anywhere. It's figured into the cost of the car, just like the labor on the assembly line. So when crunching the numbers, one would never break it out for comparison.

It's very rare that one can bring up the subject of holdback when negoitiating... it's considered taboo. But it's good to know for the consumer that it does indeed exist.

If you were to go and order a car from the factory, one could then say "Well, since the car isn't sitting on your lot now, and as soon as it comes in, I'll take it off the lot, then the holdback (factory to dealer subsidy) is then pure profit."

Using this tactic *might* get you an even better price. Might.
    In terms of getting at the price, here's the proof:
    ttakvori "2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited pricing" Jan 4, 2001 5:04am

I rest my case.
  • woodland2woodland2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone
    3 months ago I purchased a 2001 JGC V6, got 1400
    miles with out any problems. Is there anyone out there that is having problems with this model so
    I will be more alert on certain things? I had a 1996 with no problems except the air which had something to do with the heater coil they told me.
  • dbindenverdbindenver Member Posts: 3
    Sorry it took so long to reply. It is a 2001 JGCL with the 28K package, V8 Quadra-drive, Towing package, and Up country suspension group. Total sticker price was 38,190.I paid 32,182 before taxes. Hope that helps
    Wow... that's a great price!

Did you get the whining resolved?
  • ivanyo2ivanyo2 Member Posts: 2
    Would like to BUY a new 2001 JGCL looking pretty basic because price is a factor.... either the 26F package or the 26S in which case get the leather nit. Not looking for any other options just the best price anyone has seen out there as well as what incentives I should look for. Also, I dot NEED to buy right now so in that case is it in my better interest to wait for a better deal...i.e, are the better times of the year to get better prices on the JGCL 2001????

Thank you all in advance....
    I think you mean JGC Laraedo, which is usually abreviated JGC since it is the base model as opposed to the Limited = JGCL.

If you are purchasing (not leasing) all curent incentives are until 4/3/01. Leasing incentives expire TOMORROW.

There is currently $1500 customer incentive on JGCs AND $1000 hidden (dealer) incentives that not too many folks know about. You can get a JGC 4x4 26E for about $25,500 if you drive a hard bargain. 26F for about $27,250. 26S for about $28,350.

In my opinion, these are pretty agressive incentives. I don't think you'll see anything better until end of summer when they try to clear out the model year.

Hope this helps.

TC
  • ivanyo2ivanyo2 Member Posts: 2
    Would like to BUY a new 2001 JGCL looking pretty basic because price is a factor.... either the 26F package or the 26S in which case get the leather nit. Not looking for any other options just the best price anyone has seen out there as well as what incentives I should look for. Also, I dot NEED to buy right now so in that case is it in my better interest to wait for a better deal...i.e, are the better times of the year to get better prices on the JGCL 2001????

Thank you all in advance....
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    I p/u mine in Sept 2000 and 4800 mi on the dial today . Everything seems ok so far. ONLY changed front rotors last Friday . Hope this is the last set I need. Otherwise love every bit of it. No whine or rattle yet.
  • daniaislenedaniaislene Member Posts: 1
    Fuel pump disaster. do I just shoot this thing? how do i get rid of this car? I am on the 4th fuel pump in two months. Now they say there is debris in the tank and they need to replace it... lots of gasoline leaks and it is still not resolved. anyone want to take this turkey off my hands? (how is that for a sales pitch? Any hints on some consumer activism would be appreciated
  • dbindenverdbindenver Member Posts: 3
    No I have gotten that taken care of yet. Have not had time to schedule an appointment. I did find out that there is a bulletin out for a problem with weighed prop shafts. Still trying to find out if it's on early or later production models. Mine was built in early Oct. I post once I have more information
  • lemonjeep2lemonjeep2 Member Posts: 32
    A person posted above about dealers with 1999/2000 JGC's at a great price because they were a "Program Vehicle" or "Early Lease Turn In". Be afraid, be very afraid. Run as fast as you can!

Given all of the early problems on these vehicles, many of these are actually vehicles bought back by DC after customers were in arbitration or pursued the Lemon Law (ought to be called the Jeep Law!)

I know, our LEMON 99JGC spent close to 70 days in the shop the first year. After pursuing the Lemon Law, DC bought it back for a FULL REFUND, plus some (cost them over $50,000). Since we settled before it went to court, the vehicle was never oficially labeled as a lemon. This happened to many other owners, as you will see if you look back at the archived forums.

That means that it could be shipped to another dealer and sold to some poor unsuspecting sap as an "early lease turn in". I wonder if the next poor owner wondered why their vehicle had only 9,000 miles on it? (because it spent all it's time in the shop). It had a repair history as big as a small tom phone book, and now somebody else is driving it.
  • ihsalwaysihsalways Member Posts: 16
    NEVER, EVER buy one of these without first seeing the COMPLETE vehicle service record since "Mile 1!" Any seller of one of these-type vehicles who can't/won't produce the maintenance record, which IS kept on all these sort of "program" vehicles, IS (1) a liar; (2) incompetent; of (3) both.

But, IF you see and like the TRUE/REAL service/maintenance history (it will always be tied to VIN), these are probably the best deals anywhere and always have been. I've personally benefited to the tune of MANY thousands$$ over the years by these deals, BUT NEVER "in the dark"...
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    So far I'm happy w/my new Jeep. It's Silverstone w/Taupe lthr, package 28K, plus Trailer Tow Grp IV, 5sp auto, and the 4.7L. I bought it at CarMax in Orlando and here's the breakdown:

$32665.00 - base
    -500.00 - Ltd discount
    +1510.00 - pkg 28K
    +225.00 - tow pkg IV
    +75.00 - 5sp auto
    +1070.00 - 4.7L V8
    -700.00 - V8 bonus discount
    -3982.00 - CarMax savings
    -1500.00 - incentive

$29478.00 - Final Sticker price

incl tax&tags = $32464 (11 miles on the odometer)

It's been a week and so far I've put 500 miles on the odometer (a Sunday drive down to Tampa) averaging 17/24. Better mpg than expected. :)
    Wow... that's an excellent price! Did you you have to haggle for it?

I hope the quality is better in the 2001s and you get many happy miles. As for me, I was ready to buy until I checked all the crash test ratings. The JGCL does poor on both the government and insurance institute offset crash tests. Plus no side air bags in what is suppose to be a luxury SUV. Not good.

Anyhow, that is a great price! Enjoy!

TC
    TC, I bought it for the 'No-Haggle' price. I was on a waiting list for an Emerald/Tan lthr MDX but the waiting list was too long. I needed a car immed.
    Good job! Congrats!
  • rzsessrzsess Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a 2001 JGC (Laredo) for 36 months and would appreciate any feedback regarding recent pricing that has been seen. As far as options, I am looking at the 26F package and sunroof, leather and heated seats (not sure if they are part of the package but the dealer I visited had every 26F set up that way).
    Thanks for your help.
    btw, the final price of $32464 also includes the 60mo/60k mile extended warranty ($780) from DC.

Leo
  • findirfindir Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 95 JGC with the Infinity Gold sound system (am/am and tape), and no instructions on setting the radio clock. I know it's probably simple, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • robtwrobtw Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 Grand Cherokee has been far more trouble that I bargained for. Four brake jobs in two years at 33K miles. Surface the rotors, replace the rotors, surface the new rotors, surface the rotors again. As the Daimler sales engineer explained to me (without acknowledging that this was a problem) the overheating begin with the 99 redesign to get the spare tire below the deck. Something in the air flow pattern over the front rotors is not right and the heat is not properly dissappated. The explanation was good but the problem is still mine. This turkey will shortly be out of warranty and I'm not going to get the brakes fixed every 8000 miles. This car can belong to someone else and they can fix the brakes. Beyond that the transmission goes "clunk" on a shift to reverse. The Mfg says they don't have a TSB on this matter but sooner or later the transmission is going to be trouble. No other cars go clunk on a reverse shift. I doubt that the 2001 model will be any different. I don't need any more Jeeps!
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hey Folks, I have to say I love my Jeep. Early on I did have to have the drive train replaced twice. Now, at 27,000 miles, I have had no problems. Since I live in two locations, Tn and Ca, I always check the paper for used '99 Jeeps. Honestly, there are never very many for sale. If people are dumping these vehicles, they are not running ads for them. I've had two Jeeps so far, a '96 and a '99. I think I might try something different because I need a third seat option. I'm thinking of the 2002 Mercedes ML430 sport. I have a 2000 Mercedes E430 sport also so I thought I might stick with Mercedes. If Jeep offered a third seat on the Grand Cherokee, I would buy another. I've had no problems otherwise. Sorry to hear about your folks that have had trouble. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • caroleecarolee Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have thoughts on Up Country suspension package and 8 cyl versus 6 cyl standard engine? I'm looking at a Laredo GC, 4 Wheel Drive, with Up country and V8 that I really like. Dealer is playing games and telling me they are giving me Employee price- slightly above invoice after 1500 rebate- and of course not mentioning 1000 hidden incentive and dealer holdback (car just hit the lot). So I am going to go either with Cars Direct or Autobytel quote but would like to know if 8 cyl and upcountry are really worth it. I live in mountain region and climb alot of hills, but also put about 20K miles a year on car- TIA
    Definitely get the V8. My first Jeep was a in-line 6 and was adequate but the V8 is wonderful. I can go up any hill with no problem or hesitation. I noticed on the 6 that if I had it loaded with people, I had to be careful if I needed to pull out into traffic quickly, it did make a difference. Personally, I would always go with the larger engine especially if you live in a mountain region. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Try the following website for excellent prices on Jeeps. http://www.jeepwarehouse.com/entrance.htm

A fully equiped GC Ltd comes in at around $32,000. Only catch is you have to go to Indiana to pu, although they will deliver for a fee.

Cheers
  • ccg7ccg7 Member Posts: 3
    OK I have gotten to the point where DC admits by 1999 JGC is a lemon Now they are having an "independent" agent call me and work out a deal. The problem is this sounds just like trading in the vehicle. DC knows that the 1999 JGC has serious design and mechanical problems. They knew they were lemons when they produced them. I don't want a trade-in, I want them to do something about selling me a lemon. I can not afford to pay the heavy mileage charge. It does not seem right that DC could sell SUVs they know have problems then get out of the problem in their favor. Comments, advice, please.
  • iceguysiceguys Member Posts: 18
    I cannot believe that I am the only one with so many problems. I trust this board so much for direction. Everything that you have read from others about this lemon of a car is just like my jeep also. Today it is in for new points and plugs, got stuck yesterday, had to be towed. Three times it needed new bushings, three times new rotors and countless other times they had to be sanded or something like that. It has been in for service 23 times in the last 24 months. Now the check engine light is on again. The last two times of course they told me that they could not duplicate the problem. I lease this vehicle, have a 39 month lease, and only into 24 months. Am I eligible to go through the lemon law or arbitration? Should I let the lease company know about this? Please Please help me, you can also forward this to my em-ail at [email protected]. I thank you all so much, like friends that have so much misery with what we thought was a good vehicle.
    Christie
  • mgbaronmgbaron Member Posts: 1
    I currenly have a 1987 JGC Laredo with 255,000 miles and have been very pleased with it, but we plan on doing some long distance travelling now that I'm retired and needed something newer. I'm currently looking to buy a 1998 JGC Laredo from a used car dealer which currently has 22,000 miles on it. Price quoted was 18.2K and was a leased car. Based on what I've read here, I've requested the vehicles maintenace history but was told the vehicle was from south jersey and was maintained there and they had no records. I have the vehicle identification number. Is there any way I can get the history of this car before I consider buying it, i.e., if it was in an accident, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gerry
  • vincet4vincet4 Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else having a problem with the Dual-Zone Climate in the Grand Cherokee Limited? The problem we are having is that when we have the air directed to come out of the floor vents, some air trickles through the dashboard passenger air vent on the dash near the stereo. This air vent gets so hot as to leave temporary burn marks on skin if touched! Dealer says this is a "known defect" that Jeep/Chrysler acknowledges and there is no fix for this. I'm worried that my kids will get burned. Had I known about this problem, I never would have bought this car with that option. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Was it resolved? How? We have the V-8 with only about 2200 miles.

Thanks,
    Vince
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    I own a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I bought new. It's got 35,000 miles on it and I can say I've had no trouble with it at all (other than my own poor technique for getting out of 4-low).

If you have the VIN, try your local Chrysler service department, and ask them if they can plug in the VIN to see what service has been performed on the car.

Also, as tonychrys has suggested, go to carfax.com and pay the small fee to check the VIN for any history on the car.

Good luck.
  • teegunnteegunn Member Posts: 3
    I very much appreciate you answering my questions! I did go ahead and buy the 2004 JGC this weekend. So far I really like it. It is very smooth and has very good power (has the h.o. engine). I have already found out how hard it is to find wheels that will fit the vehicle. The stock 17x7's are just too narrow for my tastes. Here's what I want to do. First, I want to put a 2 to 3" lift on. From the web research I have done, it seems that for around $150 I can get the coil spring spacers (2"). If I do this is it neccessary to put on longer shocks? If I don't get longer shocks what are the negative ramifications? Secondly, it seems the brake calipers on the 2003/2004 JGC are too large for anything except a 17" wheel. Is this true? I am really looking for a wheel around 16/17 and at least 8" wide. I would prefer something wider than that. All of my previous trucks I have put on a 16 x 10 rim - and it really looked nice with some good rubber on them. If anyone has any info on a good 16/17 x 8 or 9" wheel I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted clearly state my questions and wants. Thanks in advance for any help given.
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I also have a 2001 GCL with dual climate control. I have not had any problems with it.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    I just purchased a '98 JGC with Select-Trac and 6 cyl engine. I hope someone can tell me what the difference is between "4 full time" and "4 part time" that appears on the transfer case selector.
    When would either be used? Thanks for any help.
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    Notice the label colors next to the transfer case shift lever.

2wd and 4 full time are in green, and 4 part time and 4 low are in yellow.

The green positions can be used on any surface, including dry pavement. In 4 full time, the front and rear axles are not locked together, giving you the ability to make turns even on dry pavement without wheel hop or damaging the drive train. You still get 4WD hi-range traction on slippery surfaces.

The yellow positions are to be used with caution, only on slippery surfaces. The front and rear axles are locked together in these positions. 4 part time (hi-range) is used where 4 full time just doesn't do the job, as in deeper snow or sand. Of course, 4 low is for really bad traction situations.

Hope this helps. In any case, it's spelled out in the owners manual.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hi People!

I hadn't checked the Grand Cherokee message boards in a while, so I thought I would visit to see if the same problems are being encountered as was the case when I was part of the group. It looks like things have gotten worse!

I was the owner of a brand new '99 JGC Laredo 4 X 4 from February 1999 until March 2000. I truly liked my GC, even though I did have some problems.

Mine had the 4.0 L I-6 and SelecTrac. I had no problems whatsoever with the drive train. The transmission shifted smoothly and I never had any of the "whine" problems or "ghost bumps."

I did have rotor problems, having the front and rear rotors turned and the front rotors turned a second time. The front rotors warped again after being turned the second time, and they were then replaced under warranty, no hassle.

I had both window motors replaced in the front (driver and passenger)and the air conditioner control module was replaced.

I traded this vehicle for a Grand Prix GT in March of 2000, after having owned it 13 months and putting 33,000 miles on it.

I didn't really trade it because I wasn't happy with it. I just decided that I was tired of driving an SUV when I really didn't need one. That was when gas prices first went crazy, and I thought it was silly to pay the penalty in gas costs for an SUV that I really didn't need.

You know it is a terrible shame that such a beautiful, smooth riding, good handling vehicle like the Grand Cherokee had so many design flaws. I think the GC would be head and shoulders above any other SUV, if it just didn't have the problems so many people are experiencing.

I think I would have been ok in keeping mine, except for the brake rotor problem. I have no reason to think the new front rotors they put on mine would hold up any better than the ones that were taken off.

I have said that I would buy another GC if I wanted to get back into another SUV, but after reading a samplng of the posts in here, I'm not sure any more.

Guess what? I'm not driving the Grand Prix GT any more either. It was a perfect car, never going back to the dealer for even one problem in the eight months and almost 20K miles I put on it. But, I got "Wrangler Fever," and I now own a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport!

Traded the GC cause I didn't want to spend the money for gas, and then ended up with a Wrangler that probably doesn't get quite as much gas mileage as the GC. Crazy, huh?

Oh well. I just like to trade. :)

tsjay
    Tsjay, great to hear that you are back in a Jeep. Several of my friends have Wranglers and love'em. What color did you get?

Vincet4, I've had my JGC ltd. for about 25 months and no problems with the heat from the vents. I would like to see rear vents installed in the newer models for better air condition circulation.

Happy Motoring! Mark
  • oldjeep85oldjeep85 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased by 99 JGC I-6 in 10/99. Love it! I live in the Tahoe Basin and it was a substantial improvement (in power) over my 85 Cherokee. However, I have experienced brake/rotor problems at about 9K miles. I have the rotors resurface twice in 6 months. I'm headed in for my third rotor repair (at 22K). I also have substantial brake pad wear. At the second repair, I was told by the service manger that it was my mountain driving which caused high heat and warped the rotors. I disagreed. Low and behold, TSB has been out for this problems for quite a while.

Question: What effect does the warped rotors have on the brake pads? Do the warped rotors cause accelerated pad wear? Should DC be replacing the brake pads on my next service visit? With the warranty nearly 2/3 gone, what else should I be asking DC to look at and repair?

ALSO: Has anyone experience a thumping after coming to a complete stop and then easing off the brake? It does not happen alot but it is annoying. I haven't spoken to the dealer about it but I will on this next visit. What is the cause?
  • harrisrmharrisrm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 with 20k miles on it and the brakes are pulsating like warped rotors do..
    The dealer says there is no service bulletin on it even tho I give him the SB number, Says I need to have then resurfaced or replaced.
    At 20 k,,this seems abnormal...Anyone else have problems>>>
    It amazes me how many JGC owners will start off their message with "I love my JGC... only had to replace the drivetrain, brakes are warped again, etc, etc."

Doesn't anyone see a pattern here? Go through all the messages.
  • oldjeep85oldjeep85 Member Posts: 4
    Tonychrys -

Regardless of my rotor problem and the bumping, I still am very satisfied with the JGC. The ride is solid. It handles well in snow. Has sufficient clearance and power to clear the berm in the driveway during the winter. The interior is nice and comfortable. It meets my winter needs.

Likewise, I have reviewed the messages. Thank you for your advise.
    well, since picking up my jeep (see msg #67 in this thread) i've logged over 1600 miles and so far so good. thanks to this board i'll be looking out for possible rotor issues but until then i'll keep enjoying my new ride. i love the stereo, the driving position (realize my previous car was a firebird), and especially the 4.7L. it's great making the other suv's 'disappear'. :)

still smilin'
    leo
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    picked up my '00 GCL V8 w/Q Trac in Sept. Put on 5100 miles . Love every bit of it esp. passing other SUVs on hills . I had no problems yet , not even a sqeek or rattle, except replaced a pair of front rotors at 4500 miles
  • poochzpoochz Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have any experience with things like K+N filters etc., improving the gas mileage on their Jeep GC? I have a 2001 V8 and am getting 11 city and 18-19 hwy. Is this about right?
    thanks
  • littledeb74littledeb74 Member Posts: 4
    My husband and I have been pondering whether to buy a JGC Laredo or a VW Passat. They are both the same price (basic models), although the Jeep would be more costly to maintain (gas, tires, etc...)

I would prefer the Jeep, but I am alittle frightened by all of the problems that I have heard and read about. Are a good portion of JGC lemons and there are just a few lucky people that have minimal problems?

Maybe I am better sticking to a VW, which has a great reputation. Or maybe even a nice Honda Accord which is also very reliable.

Any thoughts?
  • harrisrmharrisrm Member Posts: 3
    I agree with many of my fellow Jeep GC owners..I love everthing about the vehicle,,,Guess I just have to put up with the lousy designed rotors....
    poochz, do you have 4WD? my gcl has the 4.7L and 2WD and i'm averaging 16-17mpg in the city and 23-24mpg on the highway. i must add that i'm in no way a 'lead foot' and half-throttle seems to get me through traffic just fine. an occasional stomp on the gas for grins but that's it. i've also considered the K&N and possibly a cat-back exhaust from Borla or Bassani. comments i've found on the 'net regarding the K&N are that there's a noticeable increase in underhood noise. haven't yet done any research on aftermarket chips but that's something else to think about.

good luck!