Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• lesliejoylesliejoy Member Posts: 62
    We just went through the same kind of decision with our 1998 Grand Cherokee Ltd. The jeep has 44,000 miles and we could get $15,500 from Carmax (don't know if you have Carmax where you live, but they buy cars outright for a very fair price).
    The reason we were thinking of doing this was because the jeep only gets 13 mpg. We looked at every other type of SUV and the Subaru foresters, searching for better gas mileage.
    Truth is-nothing even came close to the jeep.

The jeep is paid for. We took out an extended 5 year/100,000 mile warranty on it. Aside from the gas mileage, it is the perfect car for us. We decided to keep it until it dies. The difference to buy something else was at least $12,000 and we figured we could buy a lot of gas for that.

If you have a jeep that you've maintained and is in good running condition, and is paid for, you are in great shape. You would not get much for a 1994, but would have to spend so much more in today's market for something comparable. My opinion - Keep the jeep, save money, and when it dies, buy something you really love.

I drove a 1988 Volvo 240 DL for 13 years. It was a great car and we had paid it off early on. My dream car had always been a Jaguar. Throughout the years, I had times when I thought about selling for a new car, but I thought - what's the point since this one is paid for and nothing out there really excited me. I vowed I would drive it until I could afford a Jaguar. This past May,
    my dream came true!! Sold the Volvo to my nephew, and bought a 1998 Jaguar XJ8L with only 13,000 miles. I paid $28,500 which is about the cost of a regular new car these days. I am really happy I waited.

Since the jeep is paid for, we only have one car payment a month to make. I don't know your financial situation, but owning a car that is paid for is a true advantage. An older car also saves on insurance, and here in Atlanta, on ad valorum taxes.

Hope this helps!
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time. Unfortunately we did not not about it till after we had leased a 2000 JGC, I6, auto, 2wd. However, no big problems, yet. Have a growl from the rear end at approx 2000 rpm, but the mechanic who drove with me said it was exhaust noise, not the dreaded differential that I read about here. No problems with brakes, etc (knock on wood).
    Anyway, my wife has just reported that it is sometimes hard to start - just keeps turning over and over without 'catching'. Doesn't happen all the time, can be at initial start of the day, or sometimes when she tries to start up after having been shopping for a while. Can anybody hazard a guess as to why or have experienced this? Thanks!
  • dgoffdgoff Member Posts: 1
    Others have stated the "missing" or "hesitation" in the v-8 with a/c.....it IS the air conditioner short cycling and we hear and feel the clutches when they kick in. Happens about 8-10 times or more in a mile of driving. Lower the thermostat so that it is not satisfied and the bumping stops. Set the thermostat close to the interior temperature and it will short cycle and the bumping begins again.I have this problem too...so far no known fix from chrysler. Also, loud jerky,transmission when going from drive to park (after you stop driving!)Happens about half the time. Sounds like it will "bust".... No help from chrysler here either. Also, two overdrive shift points at 48+ and the other at 52+MPH. JERKY, harsh, NOT seamless. The JGC is a fine SUV as long as you just look at it and don't drive it!
    Any suggestions???
  • baseballmom94baseballmom94 Member Posts: 92
    Hi and thanks for the advice......my husband's philosophy is also to drive the car until it dies. Not having a car payment is definitely nice. Luckily, he has a leased Camry which will be due in April so at that time, I will be able to choose something new and give him his beloved Jeep! I didn't realize the gas mileage is so low on the Grand Cherokee....13 mpg??! Does anyone know what it is on the 1994 Grand Cherokee model? I would be really interested in this info to compare to the new full-size SUV's like Tahoes and Sequoias since my husband thinks these get a lot worse gas mileage than the Jeep......maybe not.
  • snyderjuju1snyderjuju1 Member Posts: 1
    I took my JGC into dealer shortly after purchase in 99 for rough sounding shifting (Automatic) and hot rims with burning smell. Nothing found by dealer. Next thing was after parking it with wheels turned sharply to the right, did not want to start until I moved steering wheel to the left. Again, dealer found nothing. Now that I am 3,000 miles past warranty. Will not start at all. Dealer says new starter needed but cannot locate one for 6-8 weeks. What does a person do without a vehicle for 6-8 weeks? Are all 99's LEMONS or what? It's a 4.7L V-8 but there is no after market starter for it. No other replacement except from Jeep and 6 weeks is insane.
    The gas mileage information is right here on Edmunds. To check out your jeep, select the used car tab at top and then check out the model of your jeep. The mileage will be found on the "specs & safety" tab. Do the same for a new car. It pays to do your reseach.

Our Grand Cherokee is the limited. It has 4WD and a V8, which causes it to get low gas mileage.
    A V6 and 2WD probably gets better gas mileage. A V4 gets even better. The larger the vehicle, the larger the engine and thus worse gas mileage.

It's a great idea for your husband to keep the jeep and for you to get a car. The new larger SUV's won't be getting much better gas mileage. Unless you need two SUV's, I would get a car.
    Just my opinion. Good luck on whatever you decide. It is fun to go looking and test driving!
  • seqladyseqlady Member Posts: 59
    Exact same thing happened to my Jeep and the fuel pump had to be replaced. This was a very common complaint for the '99 model...maybe it's the same problem for yours. Try to get it replaced before the thing leaves you stranded!
  • bluesun99bluesun99 Member Posts: 16
    I have a '97 GC I-6 with the UpCountry package. At 68000 it is needing new shocks. Any suggestions on what might be some good ones to get. It has four on one axle, are they all the same or are two of different strengths. Would like to get some that would help the ride but would still be strong enough for off road rock and hill climbing.
  • duckdoggerduckdogger Member Posts: 6
    '99 GCL, V-8, QD, 33K miles; just went "bump" at 35mph. Check Engine light came on, engine died and transmission appears to be stuck in 3rd. Had noticed it was slipping alot when first started and placed in gear.

Sounds like the control module for the tranny died and the cars went to limp-home mode.

Any other thoughts? Thank the Lord it is still under warranty. Soon it will be like a new car as the brakes have all been replaced so far.
  • avusblueavusblue Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am new to this forum and am considering the purchase of a 1994 Grand Cherokee, it has the V8 engine and is fully loaded with features and gadgets. It is in excellent condition as it has been owned by my dad since new. It has been well maintained, pretty trouble free for him, and it only has 51,000 miles. I took it for a drive today and wow! what power, compared to the 4 cylinder Toyota I currently own. It's a big brute of a vehicle, and as a father of three small kids it certainly seems safe.

My main question is, what sort of problem areas should I be aware of if I buy this vehicle? Are there common issues to be on the lookout or preventively maintain for? I am concerned that this Jeep wouldn't be as reliable as what I'm used to (135,000 bulletproof miles on the Toyota and never a lick of trouble). Second, what sort of gas mileage should I expect (a more specific answer than "awful" would be appreciated!)

Many thanks in advance, and looking forward to any advice that comes my way!

Dave
    Minneapolis, MN
    The 93's-95's used the leaf springs and rode a whole lot rougher than the 96's on when they went to the coil springs. Also, the transfer case technology changed making them yield slightly more mpg. My boss's '95 GCL, V-8, got 12 mpg where my '96 GCL, V-8 would knock down high teens in town and cruise at 65mph at 22 mpg.

I'd go with the '96 to '98 version, V-8.

I wish I could tell you to get a '99 or '00, but avoid them like the plague. I wish I had kept my flawless '96.
    We have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited with a V8 and 4WD. It gets 13 mpg.

It is awful gas mileage, but the jeep is beautiful, rides great, and is the utility vehicle we need.

We did have to replace the air conditioner ($1,200). Afterwards, we took out an extended warranty for 5 years/100,000 miles. (We now have 45,000 miles on it).

Hope this helps with your decision. (Most V8's with 4WD get lousy gas mileage.)
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Thanks for the info. I took my '00 JGC to the dealership the other day. I couldn't even finish my explanation before the service advisor interrupted me and said he knew that the problem was with the fuel pump. We went inside and he ordered a repair kit - I thought he said the problem was a leaking O-ring. He didn't act like he was going to order the whole pump assembly, tho maybe he does. He did say, "I'll bet you can tell we do a lot of these!"
  • clark28clark28 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Grand Cherokee 2001 6 cyl. about a month and a half ago...have put 2,200 miles on it so far, and it's been great. Handles amazingly well, comfortable ride, the mileage is right on target with what's on the sticker, power from the 6 cyl. is fine, and it is just fun to drive...feels more like a sports car than an SUV. I've never felt at all unsteady in it, just secure, and it takes rutted roads and bumps great. I sure hope it holds up after this good start! I bought a 4 year/50,000 mile extended warranty, and usually trade cars in after 3 or 4 years. I'm crossing my fingers that things work out, and my dealer has a good reputation, which is one reason I'd considered buying it. I don't like Chryslers in general, but the Jeep is special, and the design is great.

I do have a question about an alarm system. It came with the engine immobilizer, but not an alarm. When I checked with the Jeep dealer, they said I could find one cheaper at a private company rather than buying one through them. When I visited an alarm installation company I've used before, they had a basic set-up that would utilize the remote that came with the car. However, when they were ready to install, they said that the Grand Cherokee is tricky, and they would have to remove the front door panels to tie the alarm system into the front door locks...something about the way the computerized parts of the car are put together, so they said. I told them not to do it, because I didn't want my new car dissembled so soon.

That seemed odd to me, since there is a central point in the upper console to control locks, etc. Does anyone out there know if there is a basic alarm system that can be installed on a Grand Cherokee which doesn't involve opening up door panels and making multiple connections? I'm assuming that what the installer said was right, or perhaps they just didn't know what they were talking about? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    FU from post 608. Had to get to 3000rpm to get car to begin moving. Pulled lever to 1st manually and tranny down shifted and began functioning normally.

Dealer read error codes and indicated problem was a sensor. "Flashed" the module which I presume means updated the program and presto, the world is great again. I hope it lasts.

This '99 GCL (bld date 7/99), V-8, QT plows through bumper deep snow like there is no tomorrow. It is quiet and comfortable on the long trip, but I am very shaky about keeping it past the warrranty expiration.

In the last 3000 miles, they have replaced 1 window motor and three calipers. The whine and transmission thunk are still there and considered "normal" by DC.

Sorry to say, I think its time to go back to a well built German or Japanese vehicle.
  • trufabtrufab Member Posts: 1
    I am going to a arbitration meeting because I am getting vibration when I apply the brakes. Need info. as to anyone else having this problem to use at my meeting.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    How many miles do you have on the '00 GC? Fine print in the warranty excludes brakes after 12,000 miles. DC extended warranty also seems to exclude brakes. I had a '99 that had brakes done under warranty (warped) at 5000 mi. Warped again at about 20,000. DC 5 star dealer wanted $75 to turn them. Ended trading for an almost identical '00 with the large rebate in July '00. The '00 has only had the brake warpage and a minor problem with the fuel pump (covered under warranty). The '99 had several other problems...close to a lemon.
    Brakes on the '00 warped at about 14,000 miles. 5 star dealer refused to extend warranty even with proof of the 3 warped sets of rotors I had. Filed complaint with DC service...they turned it over to the 5 star dealer who again refused to do anything. I ended up replacing the rotors with a 24,000 mi warranted set from Autozone for less than $100.

Slammed DC and 5 star dealer with the survey came after I had it in for service. Service mgr. who refused to listen about a serious defect in their brakes called to see why I had a problem with the service. Got no other satisfaction or response from DC, so I will probably NEVER go near a DC product again.
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    What kind of lease deals have people been getting on 2002 gcl's? Any info would help. Thanks.
  • topcamtopcam Member Posts: 1
    I just turned over 24,000 miles on my 99 JGC. I took it in yesterday for oil change and tire rotation. I asked them to check the brakes as they were pulsing again.

They told me that CD came out with a new rotor and pads earlier in the year that will last 40,000 miles.

I've had the rotors replaced 4 times and turned 3 times. They did replace them again with the new set. All covered under warranty. So don't let your dealer jerk you around. They get paid BIG BUCKS for warranty work and the they will cover yor front rotors and pads.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I traded in a '99 JGC Laredo 4x4 that I had bought new. It had the 4.0L I-6 and the SlecTrac four wheel drive system, and it had 33K miles on it when it was traded in. That was in May of 2000.

What I'm wondering is, what kind of reliability I might have had with that vehicle if I had kept it.

I had few problems with it, but the main thing was the brake rotors warping. Other than the rotors, it had to have a new control module for the air conditioner/heater, and both the front doors had the power window motors replaced during the 13 months that I owned the vehicle.

If I had kept it, I knew I would continue to have the brake rotor problem, or I would until some permanent fix was put in place. I did mostly highway driving and didn't even use the brakes nearly as much as most people would during the same number of miles. I was also very easy on the brakes whenever I did have to use them. I always preferred to slow down way ahead of time if it looked like I was going to get caught by a traffic light, and I often avoided having to even use the brakes that way.

Other than the brake problems, what could I have expected to run into with that I-6 and SelecTrac system?

I thought it was a great SUV. There's not another SUV out there that is nearly as good-looking inside or out! They are supposed to have the best off-road capability of any of the SUV's, although I didn't use mine for that purpose.

I used to post here all the time, and I thought it was a shame that such a nice looking, comfortable, capable vehicle like the Grand Cherokee had so many reliability problems.

So, what's the experience of some of you with that I-6 and SelecTrac combo? Anybody put a lot of miles on theirs, and what kind of luck have you had?

tom
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I just completed a 600 mile trip with my Jeep and enjoyed it a lot. We averaged 20+ MPG at speeds of 70 - 80 MPH. The weather was terrible for part of the trip but the Jeep got us through with flying colors.
  • clayton8clayton8 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for feedback on a 1995 GCL Laredo 4x4. I am looking to purchase one. 77K miles, original owner who is trading up to a 2002 GCL.

What would be a fair price and are there any problems I need to be aware of?
  • skijeepskijeep Member Posts: 8
    I was not surprised to read some recent postings by JGC owners addressing warped rotors. I have a '99 JGC Laredo V8 with just over 24,000 miles and once again the rotors have warped for the third time. Previous rotors were replaced at 6k and 18k (along with break pads at 18). I have talked with the service manager at the 5 Star dealership that I use for service and he was very direct in admitting that the rotors have been a major problem for DC. He was extremely helpful and indicated that they would either turn the rotors or replace them not at my expense.

Overall I have been very please with my JGC, I have enjoyed driving it. I had been planning to replace it in eight months with an '02 model when my lease ends, but now I am reconsidering this plan with all the rotor problems. I have another ski season to go through with driving up and down mountains where heavy breaking is sometimes necessary. It concerns me that if they replace the rotors (4th pair), I may be faced having to deal with warped rotars next spring once again before my lease is even up. My question to any JGC owners or maybe I should say former ('99 to '01) owners, has anybody had success with DC in breaking thier lease early at no cost to them due to the persistant problem of warping rotars? It is obvious that DC is totally aware of the problem if a 5 Star service manager admitts to. Curious to what anyone has to say. Thanks.
  • jettapfjettapf Member Posts: 1
    I sued DC and won.
    The problems I had?? just the usual suspects..

stalling while idling..
    hard starting..bad fuel pump
    brake vibration..
    transmission "THUMP"
    whining..
    leaks... etc. etc. etc..

my advice is to dump your JGC and never give DC a dime for anything ever again.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Jettapf, are you saying wouldn't consider a Mercedes product? I have '99 JGC Ltd with 35,000 miles. Overall, mine has been great. I did have the whinning problem early on and Chrysler replaced the drivetrain. I had warping rotors that were turned by the dealer. The dealer seemed to take care of any issues that came up. I ordered a 2002 Mercedes ML500 that will be in mid Dec. The only thing I wish is, is that the Jeep had a stronger blowing air conditioner and rear vents for the desert climate. Also, I'm needing a third seat, otherwise, I would consider the Jeep again. (I also had a '96 JGC Ltd then traded on the '99)

M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jir22jir22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 limited V8 with 26000 mi on it. I have read all the listing of problems that people are listing with jeeps. I have not had any of those problems. My jeep still has the orginal rotors on it. The front brakes were replaced at 21000 mi. Without knowing what type of driving these people are doing and what type of driver they are it is impossible for me to understand why they are having problems.
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    I have a 99 Ltd. I6 34,000 miles. Have had a few problems but mostly minor. How do you tell if the rotors are warped? Also, what is this thump that some have reported? I enjoy this vehicle much more than the 96 4 Runner I had before this one. The Toyota was not problem free either. Toyota has a certain reputation but all all car makers have their share of problems. There is no perfect vehicle.
  • joang2joang2 Member Posts: 1
    Since I have had the car it has been into the dealer 7 times over a period of 27 months. The transmission shifts down really hard, even at a stop, talked with DC gets no where. Brakes gone at 12,000 miles changed - warped rotors at 18,000 miles - dual climate control still no working on the passenger side - they have "flashed the transmission and climate control and it never works - how do you get out of a car that is so troubled? I had a 94 and it was wonderful. This thing is driving me crazy.
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I was considering a 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited 2wd, but I was looking on edmunds and it says that a 2000 jeep gc limited is only worth 20,000. Thats a 10,000 drop in value. Is it just me but this seems like a bad value to me!
    agh15, there is something wrong with your calculations. My '99 JGC Ltd. 4x4 QD is currently for sale and Edmunds has mine retailed at $24,000. I'm selling mine for $22,000 but will take $21,000. Mine listed for $37,655 and I paid $34,155. So,just for the sake of things, lets say I get $20K.... $34155-$20000 =$14,155.
    $14,155 depreciation is not too bad over three years of ownership. One guy has offered me $20K right off the bat but I think I can get more. It's only been for sale for 5 days. Just be glad you don't drive a Ford Explorer...they aren't worth anything now.

M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I bought my 2001 LTD with 0.9 saving probably 3 or 4 grand. All I am saying there is more to the cost of ownership than resale. A Jeep is a large volume vehicle which tends to lower the resale. But you tend to get more for your money on a large volume vehicle. You think a Jeep is bad, a friend of mine bought a 95 Mercedes S600 last year for 35K. The car retailed for 132K. Roughly 100Gs over 5 years.... ouch.
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    took my laredo, v8 in for the 7,500 miles service. this is actually my second oil change though. they are charging me 125 dollars for the service, seems high, can someone tell me if this is normal or not. anyway, have not had even the slightest problem with the car. i have made four trips of a thousand miles, one to tahoe where i raced a subaru 2.5rs all the way over the mountain and was able to stay with him throught the severe twists. originally i was getting like 15 miles to the gallon on these long trips, but on my last one i got 22 mpg. incredible. i have been getting about 19 miles to the gallon in the city now as well. i did put in a new intake and exhaust, so i guess they have paid for themselves.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jir22, you mentioned people's driving habits in relation to the brake rotor problem. All I can tell you is that when I had my JGC Laredo, I was certainly not hard on the brakes. It was quite the opposite: I did almost exclusively highway driving, and the brakes were just not used nearly as much as they would have been for the same miles with a lot of in-town driving. I DO NOT drive with one foot on the brake, like some people do. I use my right foot for gas and for brake. When I do have to stop, I usually slow down way ahead of time, and I often don't even have to use the brakes, since the light changes before I get to the intersection. But, I STILL had warped rotors every few thousand miles.

Donlino, you can tell when your rotors are warped by the shimmy you feel when the brakes are applied.

tsjay
    My '99 JGC Ltd.,4x4,QD,35K miles, sold last Friday. I got $21,000 for it. I miss it already!!!
    Mark
  • fishrxmanfishrxman Member Posts: 31
    I remember seeing this subject here back in summer. Sure enough, posts 431,462,& 501 and maybe several others will provide good info. They mention tightening lug nuts by hand among other things.
  • fishrxmanfishrxman Member Posts: 31
    After 12,600 miles the night dimming feature on the rear and side view mirrors finally works. The alarm works, after two additional tries. The Five Star dealer says the faint soft whining noise in the front at 62-65mph is tire road noise. Also, the more noticeable whine in the rear at 50-54 mph while decelerating is considered normal. My JGC Ltd has V8 engine with quadra-trac. The first attempt failed to completely get rid of the rear whine. Now the dealer's warranty administrator and DC regional representative consider these noises "Normal" and refuse to do anything more to my vehicle. I am very unhappy because these people don't give me a good explanation and they pass off a potential problem as normal. The next step is arbitration, then a lawyer.
  • chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    I currently own a 99 JGC Ltd w/ all the trimings (including the V8 & Quadra-Drive). There is only 16k on the odometer but I have had many problems with it.

Brake Pads & Rotors replaced at 12k
    Rotors turned at 16k
    Fuel Pump replaced
    Steering Gear replaced
    Power Window Motor
    Front Passenger Door Panel (4-times)
    Air-bag sensor
    Still have the drivetrain whine

One could say that DC has some quality issue's.

However, when it is not in the shop for repairs, I really like this SUV. Good combination of luxury & power(V8). Great traction in the snow & rain. Attractive exterior/interior styling.

I leased my JGC with a turn-in date of March 02. I thought about purchasing it but the quality problems concern me. I might consider going with an 02 Ltd, if the problems have been corrected. Otherwise the only other SUV that has a similiar combination of luxury/power is the BMW X5. However the price jumps up another $15-20k.

Is it me or do you thinkg DC should offer no-charge loaner cars to JGC owners that have warranty work.
  • picky3picky3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I'm considering to buy a new JGC with V8 but concerned about the quality of the vehicle after reading all the problems which people experienced.
    Do you recommend to buy one?
    thanks
  • virgil85virgil85 Member Posts: 4
    For the past 2 years, 9 mos, I've enjoyed my 99 Jeep GC Laredo (I-6, Selec-Trac 4x4)and the end of the lease is drawing near. While I've experienced some of the problems (brakes/rotors, drivers side window failure, hard-starting) they've been repaired quickly. I'd like to buy the vehicle but the residual value is too high (18K and some change). Anyone had any success negotiating a lower buyout price? How about negotiating extended warranties? I'd appreciate the advice--Thanks in advance.
    I really liked my '99 Grand Cherokee Ltd. I just sold it (35,000 miles); got $21,000 for it. I had a few warranty items and the dealer took care of all of the them. I ordered a 2002 Mercedes ML500 that should be in mid Dec. I wanted a third seat that Jeep does not offer. I don't care for the Durango. I had two Jeeps ('96, '99) and would have bought another if it had fit my needs. I have several friends who have the Grand Cherokee and they have not had problems. People who have trouble have a tendency to be more vocal of which I understand 100%. If mine was a bad one, I would have been very upset. I feel confident that the new owner of my Jeep will love it as much as I did.

M.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    I had 7000km on my 3rd set of rotors. if you refer to my previous messages, hand torqueing with a good torque wrench (not the dial type)to 90 ft-lbs will help prolong the rotors. I am starting to feel the vibrations when braking but this time the rotors lasted longer than the previous sets which were tightened by air wrench ?? and only lasted around 5000km.
    ( all on road , city driving )
  • bcledgerbcledger Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 JGC Laredo that finishes its lease next summer. Their stated residual value (my purchase price) is 3-4k above the current used car market. Does anyone have any experience with buying at the end of a lease for less than the current residual value in the contract? I have finally gotten most of the kinks out of this thing and hate to go throught the process again if I can buy the current Jeep for its true market value.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I am looking to trade my 1999 Blazer in a 2001 JGC. I have 54k miles on the Blazer. I only replaced tires at 50k and brakes at 40k. The problem with the Blazer is poor interior quality. Lots of rattles and plastic. Is the JGC rattle free when it has some miles on it?

I have read a lot of posts on brake issues. I drive in fast moving (80 mph) expressway traffic that comes to a hard stop, sometimes over and over. Is too much for the JGC brakes? Will I have rotor trouble in a 2001?

How is the acceleration on the Jeep 4.0 six? I know it does not match the GM 4.3, but is it close? Has anyone driven or owned both?
  • livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    I can answer at least some of your questions. I have a 2001 JGC V8 with 16k mi. It has been completely rattle-free. As you may have noticed on this board, you can expect to replace brakes periodically on the Jeep. Jeep replaced mine at no cost at 14k mi. They were pulsing, indicating they were warped. It has been the only service I've needed.

I have a 95 Jeep Cherokee with the inline 4.0 6 cyl. The power is more than adequate, but I don't regret choosing the 4.7 V8 for the JGC. Overall, I am very happy with it.
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    I can tell you that the JGC is a great vehicle, I know some people had a rotor issue on the 99 and 2000's I had 99 and had to have the rotors replaced at 25,000 miles. I am now on my third Grand Cherokee it is a 2002 fully loaded with the new high output 4.7, in the past I had a 97 and then the 99. My 97 had the 4.0 six and I thought it had good power for a six I know you say you don't think it will be the same as the 4.3 I think you might be suprized the 4.0 is a great engine and is know to last a lot of miles. So these are just my thoughts on the subject.
    abc246, the Jeep I just sold had 35k and was totally rattle free. I was very pleased with the interior quality of the parts. GM is known to have cheap interior parts which I have noticed on my Mom's '99 LeSabre (the turning signal arm always feels like it's going to fall off in my hand when I use it) The power on the 4.7 Jeep engine is amazing; I always felt it had more power than I needed. My '96 Jeep GC Ltd. had the 4.0 engine. When fully loaded with people, I felt that I had to be careful pulling out in fast traffic. Also, the 4.7 didn't downshift nearly as much when pulling a steep hill.

M.
  • skipperdogskipperdog Member Posts: 1
    I am pleased to see that there are far more happy stories now, all these months later.

I bought a new 2000 JGCL a year and a half ago, after agonizing over the decision, given all of the problems that so many people were having. I was a nightly participant on these forums when everyone was complaining about the 99 JGC's, and I was trying to decide whether or not to buy one.

But my 00 JGCL has been absolutely cherry, I'm happy to say. I had a few very minor warrantly problems, all fixed in one shot; and I had the awful front drivetrain whine that virtually everyone had, due to the Dana drive train. But the whine was fixed in one day with one quick visit to the dealer.

And, besides those two visits to the dealer, I've had no problems whatsoever, and I now have 41,000 miles on my Jeep GCL. I love it, now, just as much as the day I bought it. It drives and handles fabulously, and I would still rather have my JGCL than any other suv out on the road.

This is the first time I've been back to this site in almost a year and a half, and I just came back to see what the latest scuttlebut was.

The bottom line is, sometimes you get lucky and get a cherry . . . I did. Some folks weren't so lucky.
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    i've been happy w/my jeep. it's an '01 silverstone jgcl w/the 28k pkg, 2wd, v-8, and class IV tow pkg. so far the only modifications i've done are: driver&passenger tint, mud guards, wheel locks, and a locking gas cap. i needed the rotors turned (big surprise) at around 13k miles and i also needed to get the radio replaced when it suddenly got stuck in an 'eject' loop. no rattles, squeaks, or gear/trans noise (probably since i don't have 4wd). i'm averaging 17.7 mpg (according to the trip computer) in mixed driving. the power is great and the interior is well thought out (stereo controls, etc). overall, i'm very pleased with my purchase. but the new HO v-8 for '02 sounds very interesting!
    On our first trip we averaged over 20MPG driving 75 MPH. This is a very comfortable vehicle on the road (also very fast). We did have some problems in the beginning all fixed quickly by the dealer who also provided a loaner. I do have the brake problem and I am scheduled to get new rotors this weekend. All in all my wife and I really enjoy the Jeep. Also my kids feel the same way so much to a point where they don't like to drive in our Chrysler 300M.
  • aflongaflong Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have a 99 JGC I-6 4x4, 43k miles, great vehicle, no rattles at all, great ride, roomy, no problems at all EXCEPT:

I replaced all four tires at 28k miles because I noticed excess wear on the front right tire. With the new set of tires, I notice the rear left tire still looks brand new, but the front right tire clearly looks like it is wearing out faster than the other tires. Is anyone else having this same problem of excess wear on just one tire?

Otherwise this is a great SUV and I'll be a Jeep owner for life (4x4 is great!)