Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Looks like the next generation M-class will arrive in late fall of 2004, for model year 2005.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Can you elaborate more? Sounds like you have made a confirmed statement.Also, whenever you receive info on MY 2002 ML , please share with forum. Thanks,

Russ.
  • Don’t cut and paste?! I cannot believe that the lameheads that developed this software can’t deal with pasted text. In 20 some web sites I frequent, including this one prior to the “upgrade,” this is a first. Not that it’s your fault, Drew, but it is LAME, LAME, LAME.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    I took my ML to Discount Tires and bought the road hazard warrenty and lifetime wheel balance and rotation. The road hazard warrenty costs about $13 for each tire. It covers any kind of road damage to your tires. Since I take my ML off-road once in a while, I need that extra warrenty on tires. Lifetime balance costs $14. Since MB free maintenance is about every 10K or so, it's wise to balance the tires yourself about every 5K.
  • Has anyone figured out how to hack into the fiber optic LAN in the 2001 ML's ? I have heard a regular Motorola timeport will work but not all functions are there. The adapter cradle is 800.00!!! are they crazy ? Whats the deal with Mercedes and phones? Does anyone out there know the facts on the fiber optic system on 2001 M's ?
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    FYI, for those of you who want to really test out your ML off-roading:

Let's talk adventure. In order to get our DV trip off the ground I need some quick feedback. Plan is to spend three days in Death Valley driving, exploring and just
    to have a good time. The days I have in my calendar noted down are March

9,10 and 11. For you guys with extremely tight schedules it should be possible to join the group for the last two days.

I have organized similar trips twice in 1997 and 1998
    (http://www.4x4abc.com/DV/report.html)

Driving in the Death Valley area is not something that can be done fast- so, we need a few days to do it. Especially since I plan to give you a lot of input on how to drive best when the roads get rough - that will take some time. Also, successful driving in the rough is done slowly, sometimes very slowly. There are two important reasons for that: To avoid damage and to avoid getting stuck. This does not mean I want to take you into some impossible terrain - far from it. Especially the easy stuff is potentially dangerous, because it is often underestimated. So, in order to keep our guard up we have to be slow. I know many of you do not mind damage and can easily afford it. But since there is no AAA or towing service out there you'll have to leave your vehicle behind. Not a pleasant thought, is it?

Best thing would be to meet in Trona on Friday morning. That will give you enough time to get to Ridgecrest on Thursday evening and spend the night in motel. Close by Trona does not have a reliable motel. Start on Friday should be early (8 o'clock or so). For the guys that can't make it out on Thursday, I have an alternative meeting point for Friday noon in mind.

Now comes the big question (the majority decides): Do you want to spend Friday and Saturday night in a Death Valley hotel - or do you want to include one night camping (Saturday). I highly recommend the camping night but I also realize that many have never done it and are somewhat hesitant. In case we decide for a mixture of hotel/camping I will assist you to pack/buy the right stuff for a night in the desert (don't worry, this will be easy). I will go with whatever the majority decides - so, e-mail your answers / questions / comments as soon as possible. We need to make this quick so I can make reservations at the hotel(s).

Another question (here the minority tips the scale): I have the hot springs of Saline Valley on my list for a visit. It is an ancient Indian site as well as an "ancient" Hippie site (amazing how fast hip things become ancient). As part of the Hippie culture the "clothing optional" rule was adopted by the NPS. Please be very open and honest with your input when you write me back. Do you want to stop there and soak for a while or do you prefer to wave with the windows rolled up and continue driving up the canyon? I really don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable and if just one participant would prefer not stop there we will go on. Don't hesitate to say "NO" because you don't want to ruin the trip for others.

Deadline for your answer (is that your final answer?) is February 19, 2001.

Now the money part. I have not had a chance yet to talk to the hotels for current rates but I expect rates around $90 per night. Final numbers should be in this week. My fee is $250 per vehicle including $100 going to a charitable organization. With the donation we avoid being a commercial tour and with that we avoid all the hassle of difficult to obtain permits by the DV NPS, $1Million insurance etc.

Regards,

-- Harold Pietschmann
        Writer - Photographer
    4WD Consulting & Training
       http://www.4x4abc.com
    adventure@4x4abc.com

• Hey,

"Mercedes plant in Alabama to double in size by 2005" :

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwira12_20010212.htm

"The plant produced just over 80,000 M-Class vehicles in 2000, a number which will drop to 78,000 this year, said Taylor. He said the 2,000-car reduction is only to prepare for major model changes coming in 2002."

Hmmmm...major model changes? 2002?

-Todd

• birgerbirger Posts: 80
    Hi,

On two occasions recently, the COMAND has acted up: First, on a trip back from France, it lost its voice - instead of giving guidance, the radio just cut out, leaving us with a brief period of FM hiss. Weird, and cured by turning off the engine and hitting the lock switch (on the remote). A week later (last Friday), but probably only some 100 miles later, the LCD screen was out of action. No way to revive it, and operating the COMAND with no screen is a royal PITA. Of course, when I wanted to take the truck to the dealer on Saturday morning, everything worked OK. Still, it's going in to be checked, and I'll insist on an exchange.

Over the weekend, I managed to scan two pages from the European ML owner's manual. Unfortunately, they're in French, but the important thing is that they show yet a third version of the ML headlight capsule, with Xenon low beams, H1 hi beams, AND H3 foglights!

This is the "normal" ML headlight capsule seen from behind:

And this is the "tri-function" Xenon headlight capsule:

Now, getting hold of one of those would be nice - no bother fitting separate foglights, and they could (if the 2002 facelift isn't too extensive) easily be transferred to a future truck. When I bring the truck in for the COMAND problem, I'll see if the parts people can come up with something.

Would have loved to join Harold Pietschmann and the rest of you in DV, but unfortunately I'm a bit far away... ;-)

Kind regards,

Birger
  • intéresser... Les xenons n'ont pas des lampes de stationnement.

J'essaye toujours de figurer hors de la façon installer les lampes du stationnement 5W.

Le foglamp est également placé dans une position beaucoup différente que sur l'unité d'halogène.

Respects,
    Robert
  • birgerbirger Posts: 80
    - indeed, you're right, the Xenons shown do NOT have the 5W bulb. I wonder if it's a general misprint, i.e. that where they apparently want the 55W H3 to go is really the place for the 5W. The way they put it, it certainly takes some pretty fancy optics in order to acheive a foglight beam. Later this week, when I take the truck in to have them look at the COMAND problem, I'll try to get a look at a ML55 (if they have any).

Kind regards - and compliments on responding in French

Birger
  • I am very interested in this SUV. It looks good inside and out. I haven't test drove it yet, but I was wondering is there anything I should know about specifically before I go to the dealership on Saturday for a test drive. Any specifics that I should be aware of that are hidden and I won't find out until after I've purchased it?

Thanx
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Hey everyone,

Just to keep you all updated on the MB chat idea. How does Tuesday, March 5th at 5-6pm Pacific sound? This will be our premiere chat, and it should be a weekly thing after that. All MB owners and enthusiasts (C-class, CL-class, CLK-class E-class, G-class, M-class, S-class, SLK-class, SL-class) are welcome to participate, of course.

Please let me know!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • mlx52mlx52 Posts: 72
    Could you post some pics of the Comand system? I'm very interested to see what it looks like in the M-Class and the software that the Comand features in the M-Class.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    Thanx for your input on the fogs. I will look into it =)

dt77
    I recently read in forbes mag i think.

Not a very good review on the COMAND system in the S-class.

the article dogged it from the ergonomics to how poorly the GPS worked..hmmm...anyone else read it ?

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

• Which one out of 5 articles were you talking about :)

I have to agree with some of their points

Robert
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    What do you want to buy, an ml320 or ml430? new or used. What options do you want? What part of the country are you located in? We can be of service if we know what indeed you want. Go to edmunds new cars and look at the options and pricing to start.
  • The VAN (vehicle area network) that MB uses, called B2B, actualy follows an SAE standard (I worked on a draft version a few years back). The problem is the physical connectors are proprietary and interface is proprietary, so you can't just run down to Frye's and pick-up the parts. The MB phone installation uses two components that a standard Motorola car kit does not include: (1) a linear compensator, which is a sophisticated signal booster, and (2) the PSE module which interfaces the cell phone electronics to the VAN and the in-car wiring (like the mic). The PSE is the price you pay for the fancy MCS integration, and the linear compensator should give you better signal quality and coverage. That being said, it the price differential worth it--in my opinion, no. I hacked a Nokia 6160 into my 99 ML using the MY00's combo cell/GPS antenna and had no problem with signal strength, even driving up and down I-5 in northern CA.
  • A couple of weeks ago there was some comment concerning hauling "stuff" in our ML's and not being able to secure the rear hatch.

This last weekend, I was in Chicago for work and made the time to go to the Chicago Auto Show.

In the accessories area, I found the following item http://www.latchit.com/hilight.html

In speaking to the inventors wife, she quickly followed me to the ML 320 on display.

The good news it works!

Mike

00 ML 320 18K miles

heh, have no clue =)
    my dad happened to clip it out for me. afterwhich i just chucked the article away ...

dt77