Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Gas statoin get a gallon in a tank and have it tested, then reach deep into chevons pockets and say THANK YOU!

Robert
    What is the location of this Gas Station, so others know not to go there..

Robert
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    Can you tell me more about the city lamps on the ML. I have no idea what that.
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    did u 'make' them yourself ? or u just plugged in a bulb ? I'm not familiar with the ML55's headlamps either. Aren't city lamps just the amber lamps that turn on when one turns the lights to the first notch ? so you have a separate switch for your city lights ?...

dt77
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    cdic: I see your point.
    But MB is much bigger than me, they have a much bi$$er chance of not only getting reimbursed for the damage this diesel cost my car but of making changes in this industry so this doesn't happen again, not only with this Chevron gas station but any gas station in the world. There are quality controls that must be followed every time these pumps are filled, IMO. I have no guarantee that this won't happen again. Now, I'm very suspicious...should I stick to my usual BP station?, should I mix Texaco and BP in the same tank? Are they any home kits to dipstick gasoline to know if it's good? (like pregnancy tests). I might be overeacting but I have heard of water contamination (diluting the gas) to make more $$$. How can this affect the longevity of my car? the performance?
    I am sorry but I can get real deep on this issue now. Yes my heart was broken, this IS my dream car, I admit it I LOVE IT!!! I waited a long time to buy a car like this, I worked my @ss off to afford this truck. I take good care of it but I feel like I have no control of the quality of the gas I feed it.
    I rest my case...
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    maristella:
    I'd suggest using stations you're used to. Also observe what tankers come fill it up. There is a Mobil station near me that often gets fillups from non-Mobil tankers. The others get fillups from Mobil tankers. The one that doesn't use them always seems to be cheaper in price...
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    to answer your question I had noticed the last couple of times I filled my tank that the gauge read 3/4 full so I had made an appointment to have this fixed for the day after my car stalled. They assumed it was the fuel pump malfunction that other ML's have had so they changed it but it still wouldn't work. They replaced 3 injectors and still nothing. They proceded to check the computer, found one spark plug and one catalyst starting to fail so they replaced those and it still wouldn't work. After 7 days they brought a MB rep. who (I guess it was him who thought to) emptied the gas tank and replace it with new fuel and finally it worked. They spelled it clearly in the bill;"after extensive testing to the engine electronics, we found fuel contamination in the tank & in 3 fuel injectors. It was fuel contamination that caused the engine to missfire & run rough. Problem resolved after fuel, 3 injectors & sensor replaced".
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    Has anyone got confirmed info. whether steering wheel controls will be on the 2002 ML's ?
  • itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone one know the possibility to put the H3 light bulb in the 01' model. It seem like it has a empty spot the H3 fog light like other MB.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Well it seems from reading the posts that the sales tax varies from state to state. In WA, the sales tax is based on the difference between the price of the vehicle and the trade in. If you don't trust your MB dealer, get a 2nd opinion from any other dealer, Honda, Toyota, etc.
    For a good description of the City lights and their function refer to Daniel Sterns Lighting Page.

http://lighting.mbz.org/faq/

Robert

Nope no separate switch. The City lamps replace the orange Corner lamps. So I have no more Corner Lamps. The result is an On-off turn signal at night that people can see easier. Now If I can find a 55W turn lamp I'll be set. Now I am considering getting those silver visions that you were talking about, but I dont think that it would look right. I like just a little orange.

The city light kit was from an E46 BMW. I had to do a bit of modification to it to stick it in the hole.

When you use your ML next, take a look at the heigh beam compartment and you will see a hole in there that is what this hole is for... the city lamps!, not even the MB dealer knew about them and their function. uugh!

On the Xenon units, these hole are plugged, but in the Halogen units they are not plugged. So I had to *gasp* Drill into this plugged section. I believe that Birger has the same setup as I do now except for mine being Xenons.

I like the night look better than the xenons with the orange corner lamps. These lamps mind you are only 5W but in the night time it looks a lot brighter than 5W. I think it is because of the reflectors inside the unit that make it lok brighter.

Robert
    nice. are you saying I can put in city lights !? how will i do it ? just stick in a bulb ?

silver visions are sweet. it will give your ML a cleaner look. when not flashing, it will appear clear or the same color as your reflector. when signalling, it acutally will flash amber.

you mentioned you have no more corner lamps. that is standard ? so does this mean you have no side markers ? the halogen housings use the side turn bulbs as a side marker too. But if yours doesn't turn on .. ?

i think you can get pretty sweet 5W bulbs or 'higher wattage' for your city lights that are 'white' in color. so you can match your xenons. so when you turn on your xenons, the city lights remain on ya ?

dt77
    I have noticed many american cars, and even some car like audis, and eclipses ...have red turn signals. they are poorly defined when flashing. Say if visibility is poor, it is possible some may mistake it for braking =) i think they are actually unsafe. Some flash even flash red and it's not even obvious !

dt77
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    A friend of mine bought a Lincoln Navagator. We were discussing pricing one day and he told me he had paid the lux tax. I looked at him and said what. I explained to him that most SUVs are exempt from luxury tax, MLs are, because of the weight threshold in the law. He was outraged.
    To cut to the chase, he got his luxury tax money back. The dealer would have been facing some 5 digit federal fines if he had dropped a dime on them. Basically, the dealer was discounting the vehicles, but makeng up the discount with the luxury tax scam. As to the sales tax, most states are net, sales price less trade-in. Try going to your state's web site and then to the registry site or call a registry office.
  • jmcdowelljmcdowell Member Posts: 13
    Maristella, I used to work in the Aviation field, and would sometimes drive a tanker truck to get filled with Aviation Fuel. The depot for fuel handled automotive fuels as well. The tankers would fill up with gas and then go over to 55 gallon drums to get 1 to 5 gallons of the formulations to make it Chevron, Mobil, Shell, or whatever, and dump it into the tanker. That was all the difference there was in the various brands of gas. I have learned that I like Texaco's additives best, and will use Chevron or Shell, but only go to clean,well-kept gas stations. I am suspicious of seedy looking places and worry about them adding water, kerosene or whatever dilutions they can get for cheap to nothing, and add to the gas to increase profit. I remember the guy who was caught doing this that owned a bunch of the gas stations surrounding Disneyland in California. Just as I avoid grimy restaraunts, I avoid bad gas stations. This is no assurance of quality, it just increases the odds.-Jeff
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Even if they do not make their "own blend" their gas could be contaminated by water seepage from run off water, condensation and ground filtration, that is way we see this nationwide refurbishing of underground gas tanks, the EPA found so many of them leaking thru rust and contaminating the ground, conversely when the tank is low and the water table high the water will find it's way into the tank.

I dont understand why Maristella wants MB to pay for the repairs, it is going to be a dead end, the only culprit in this case is the gas station and or oil company.

On another subject, did anyone noticed the SUV that rolled over in the snow storm, it was in CNN headlines news, the roof opened up completely, like a sardin can, the SUV was lying on it's side and the complete roof lying on the ground held by one side, could not figure what brand it was, definitely not an MB, if the occupants were not wearing a safety belt, bad things had to happen.
    ”nice. are you saying I can put in city lights !? how will i do it ? just stick in a bulb ?”

Call your Local BMW dealership and request the city lamps... IF they don’t know what you are talking about ask them to look further, it is in the database...

When you get them, assemble the socket, bulb, contacts, and bulb holder ... shave the two plastic tabs off the sides of each bulb holder and place them in to the hole in your high beam compartment. They will just sit in the compartment don’t worry about securing them because the shaft of the bulb holder and the confined space in the headlamp housing will prevent it from coming out. You will know what I'm talking about when you do it.

Take the Turn signal bulb holder and rip out the center contact.... NOT the wiring on the harness connected to the ML! THE BULB HOLDER~!!

Take the City light wires and use a "Slide Tap Set" to connect the wires to the wiring harness of the Corner lamp harness. This will enable quick connect/disconnect should you decide to remove the lamp. Attach one of the city lamps leads to the center wire of the harness, attach the other one to the brown ground wire.

”silver visions are sweet. it will give your ML a cleaner look. when not flashing, it will appear clear or the same color as your reflector. when signaling, it actually will flash amber.”

I don’t think that I will get them I think that it will look too bland on the front of my ML. The orange acts sort of an accent.

”you mentioned you have no more corner lamps. that is standard ? so does this mean you have no side markers ? the halogen housings use the side turn bulbs as a side marker too. But if yours doesn't turn on.. ?”

I have no corner lamps. Let me explain...
    When you turn on the first click on the switch the corner lamps turn on in the front. On my ML instead of the corner lamps coming on, picture a 5W bulb in the high beam compartment instead. Yes the Turn signals and the corner lamps are the same bulb. The Front Turn signals are fully functional as are the side markers near the side mirrors. They simply replace the corner lamps, giving the lamp a cleaner look.

”I think you can get pretty sweet 5W bulbs or 'higher wattage' for your city lights that are 'white' in color. so you can match your xenons. so when you turn on your xenons, the city lights remain on ya ?”

I don’t think that I will change the bulb. I doubt that it will be possible or necessary to use a higher wattage. If I did that would be considered Low beams :)
    WHAT HAPPEND TO MY POST!!! got butchered.....

Also a lot of my C-Class topics that I bookmarked were erased!!!!!

AHH THE HORRORS!!

Robert
    amg@exconde.com
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    It does not look like we will get the steering wheel controls in MY2002 for some strange reason. Perhaps they are waiting until we get Command vs. MCS which is already setup for the steering wheel controls as we see in other MB models.

Also, Linguatronic is an option but perhaps not for the US in that there is no mention of it in the dealer option pricing that I have seen... hopefully I missed it... But I am sure there will not be steering wheel controls...
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I guess recomendations of products or businesses that we have had good luck with or that have saved us money are now deleted. I tried to post a message about how I saved money from an mb dealer in CA on my exteneded warranty on my ML and I was sent an E-mail chastising me on violating the rules. I think it is important to share this information. "Buck 45" asked a question about exteneded warranties and sinced he did not include his e-mail in his profile, i could not directly e-mmail him with his requested information
    Not only that... but my post about Eurodelivery was erased in the C-Class Topic. I dont think that that was in violation. IF it was I will be removing myself from this board because my posts and several others like it were NOT in violation and I wanted those posts for quick reference. .

Robert
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I'm adding Aux. fogs, as I installed the ML55 Xenons. Does anyone know if there is a Aux. fog light wiring harness on the right side as well as the left, or is there only the one on the left side HL harness. I found the one on the left and it's labeled Fog/Aux lighting. Also I assume the one wire is hot and the second the ground correct?
  • whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    I would greatly appreciate it if you would email me information on discounted extended warranties at: christopher.levesque@yale.edu.

Thank you.
  • ts7119ts7119 Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a new ML320 on Thursday. The conversations on this board played no small part in my comfort level for the decision.

Now, I have a problem and thought some of you might have some insights. The car will be visiting the dealer next week, so this is to ease my mind.

Problem: We are at 150 miles; it had 4 when I took delivery. At very low speeds I hear a grinding sound and the (!) lights up. When this first happened I was puttering along on gravel and assumed the ESP system was helping me along. This seemed aggressive, but I am obviously still learning. I drive on, this doesn't re-occur for a while.

Last night it happens again and is quite persistent until I get to about 20 miles an hour. I head for home. About a quarter of a mile from my house it does it again, but it seems more violent. The left three lights come on. I turn the car off, turn it on: the lights remain. I limp home and park it.

FAQ:
    No, I have never used the low-power option.
    No, I never pushed the car (>2500 RPMs); no tow
    No, I didn't use the roadside assistance.

Has anyone had any problems like this. I'd love to hear that its something minor.

As I picked up the car with so few miles, I expect some teething problems.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    When we remove posts, we generally send messages to the participants informing them why the posts were removed (so the mistakes are not repeated). Please check your e-mail account that is stated in your profile, as that's how we try contact you. You may want to contact the hosts of the Sedans message board if you have any questions. When did you post the message(s) anyway? I ask because Town Hall did go down for a short while yesterday, and perhaps that's why you lost your messages.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Your post (not here, but in the ML topic) was a bit of mis-communication on our part. My fault, apologies for that.

What other post of mine was deleted … this is the ML topic?

I posted something about eurodelivery in the C-class or in the BMW board about a month or two ago. Now my marks state that they have been deleted as well as the responses to my question. Here the items that were deleted in my message center that I marked and what I believe were relevant. I have sent a question to TH.

Item Deleted (.ee92132/1911)
    Item Deleted (.ee92132/1909)
    Item Deleted (.ee92132/1908)

Robert
    Oh,

I never got a note stating why my posts were removed.

Robert
    OOps...I posted the original message in another topic by mistake and copied it from there. That's why you see that "not here..." line. That message was meant for "sshowitt", BTW, not you.

You may want to contact Pat or L8_Apex (the links to their profiles/e-mail addresses are at the top of the Sedans message board) regarding your missing posts in the C-class topic. I'm not sure what happened, nor do I know the details, and perhaps they could shed some light on that. Our server did unexpectedly go down for about 5-10 minutes on one of the days, and very possibly around that time, and your messages could've been lost while the server was resetting itself. The problem has since been dealt with, IIRC.

None of your messages in here have been deleted, AFAIK. If any of them were in violation of the terms of use, you would have received an e-mail from Steve, my co-host, or myself shortly after their removal.

Hope this helps!
    Drew
    Host
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    The system seems to have chewed up one of mine from last night as well. I wonder where it went. I noticed the site was down for a while, perhaps it went to another discussion?
  • spikethedogspikethedog Member Posts: 9
    After not posting here for 1.5 months, I finally have some news..... maybe.

To recall, when Spike is driving with me (most of the time) he's got a tendency to lower the windows when he moves across the console.
    (He's a Norwich Terrier, like the winner in the movie BEST OF SHOW.)

Some other owners had the same complaint, but none of us were able to figure out how to lock the windows. Suddenly, I had a flash how to do it:

Remove the switches and reverse them in the console. That is, instead of pressing the switch DOWN to lower the window, you would have to pull the switch UP to lower the window.

While this would be counter-intuitive, so what?
    Everyone tells me it's counter-intuitive for safety to ride around with a dog on my lap who's sticking his head out the window and sometimes steering with his paws on top of the wheel.

And the procedure would be easily reversible, assuming it could be done in the first place.
    So..... can it be done?
    An answer and a comment:

Answer: How about a low tech answer like taping or glueing a switch protector over the switch? I think you can find them under 2 varieties. 1) Like you see in James Bond movies where you have to flick it open before pressing the switch to release nuclear bombs or 2) Child safety switches. You should therefore try either Radio Shack or BabiesRUS.

Comment: I have a similar problem when my 2 year old sits up front (species [non-permissible content removed] sapiens). My other car has the seat switches on the door and it is highly distracting to see your 2 year old move up and down and back and forth when driving. Want to trade?
    Have you considered installing a kill switch for all four of the switches? then install the kill switch in the ashtray. ... That is of course unless spike smokes. . .

Robert
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Robert,

If you're interested later, both Philips and Osram market 5W "blue" bulbs to go with their blue headlight bulbs. They're a bit more expensive than their white/yellowish counterparts.

I have a set on one of the smart microcars (came in a set with Philips BlueVision H4 bulbs that have since been replaced by a set of Philips VisionPlus H4's). They look all right, but it's still not the same color as Xenons.

This whole thread makes me smile - primarily because it's funny what we all will do to be different, and secondarily because of this "city light" denomination. In several European states, driving (i.e. not parking) with only these lights on is strictly illegal. You MUST have either foglights or headlights lit if the vehicle is moving (and lights are required).

It also makes me remember the fuss back when I had "real" US vehicles. My Explorer had "city lights" crudely fitted to the headlight reflectors, and both my wife's Probes had additional small white light units fitted to the front fascia. On the last vehicle before the ML's, a '96 ChryCo minivan, the dual-filament amber bulb had to be replaced with a clear one, resulting in even more confusion.

If the weather stays OK, I'll do a few shots of my ML with the original "city lights" setup.

Birger
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    I'd wish along with the other improvements that MBZ would finally equip the ML with a decent looking and functioning CHMSL. The one they fit now must have been designed by the same guy who chose the puny horn. It's traditional (no LED, no neon), lowish, irregular output, single-bulb (less safety). All other current MB's have multi-bulb (or LED) arrays that are more esthetically pleasing and, more important, safer.

Just my 2ç

Birger
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Birger:
    What is this?
    The horn is actually better sounding that the original. They improved it w/ the 2000 model so it's deeper.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    Here's my 2cents, as this is the way taxes work in my industry (yacht sales). Each state dictates it's own legislation as to how taxes on cars (and boats) and other consumables are calculated with regard to trade-in-allowances. Some states (Deleware, NC) have no sales tax, so there are no advantages to trade-ins, other states (FL,NJ,PA) allow the trade in to be deducted from purchase price prior to calculating sales tax, other states (MI)just look at purchase price.

Detailed (and accurate) information is availble from each states Department of Revenue. They are happy to help out and will answer any questions about taxes on new and used vehicles.
    Randy
    Ken and I have done a little detective work and have discovered that the new tires for MY2002 are are a (still unreleased) light truck version of the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires. Tire rack has something on the car version of these tires. Have a look at the 2nd picture (the 60 and 65 series version, and not the lower profile 55 series and lower version):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_s5000.jsp

Looks like Dunlop is trying to compete with the X5's Michelin MXV4 plus tires, and the MDX's Michelin Cross Terrain tires. The UTQG for the Dunlops is 340 AA A. The light truck version, due to the fact that it will probably have deeper tread blocks, may have a higher tread wear rating than 340.

• djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    Drew,
    If I read the link correctly, one asymmetrical 17' tire is 179 USD.
    David
    Regarding the strange codes in one of your previous posts, it's because you composed your message in a word processing programme and then cut and pasted it into the text box. As such, all of the internal codes that the word processing programme uses are carried along as well. Please either compose your message in the text box on the webpage, or use an ASCII compatible text editor such as Notepad.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Yes, but that's for the 215/5VR17 tire. There are currently none available for the ML...as I mentioned, the light truck version is as of yet unreleased. I bet they're only going to release it (make its debut) on the '02 ML this fall, just as the Grandtrek TG35 tires made their debut on the 1998 ML320.
    definately safer. LEDs light up some 200 milliseconds faster than incandescent bulbs. This translates to faster braking distance response time. HP says about a full car length of extra stoppinng distance at 65mph.http://fullspeed.to/ml
    I like the horn on my 00ml430.
    At one point, I tried replacing them with aftermarket horns that supposedly were to procduce 'big rig' sound at 120db.

No where close. Sounded like an ice cream truck. I immeadiately took them out and put my stock horns back in.

dt77
    Will the 02ML have identical tires front and rear. Probably yes huh. The X5 fronts differ from the rears.

dt77
    Only the X5 V8 with the Sport Package has staggered directional performance tires. The rest of the line-up has equal sized wheels all around. A staggered setup makes rotating impossible, directional tires already makes this hard enough.

I think the buses have LEDs more for longevity reasons. Our newer buses around here have it too...LED turn signals as well. The LED clusters are apparently expensive though. Up to a few hundred dollars a piece!
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    Drew,
    I've decided that I would like to invest in a parktronic type system for my M-Class. Since you have one installed could you shed some light on these questions:

1. What brand it is?
    2. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost?
    3. Can you get it in any color?
    4. Will it fit any model (i.e. other makes of cars and SUV’s)?
    5. How hard was it to install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Since I have decided that this is the only feature drawing me towards a 2002 model it would be cheaper just to put one on myself.

Thanks
    Jamie
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    Been checking this site out for a while, good insite and humor, finally decided to sign-up....

Dave Loines
    Maryland
    00ML320
  • spikethedogspikethedog Member Posts: 9
    Ctic:
    "How about a low tech answer like taping or glueing a switch protector over the switch? I think you can find them under 2 varieties. 1) Like you see in James Bond movies where you have to flick it open before pressing the switch to release nuclear bombs or 2) Child safety switches. You should therefore try either Radio Shack or BabiesRUS."

Robert, this is an excellent idea, I think, even though there's four switches. Why not?
    I think the ideal switch protector would be installed on the lower side of the window switches and would be spring loaded, so that you could disengage the lock-out and lower the window with one hand, then the lock-out would re-engage by itself under the spring-power. Thanks!

Ctic: "Comment: I have a similar problem when my 2 year old sits up front (species [non-permissible content removed] sapiens). My other car has the seat switches on the door and it is highly distracting to see your 2 year old move up and down and back and forth when driving. Want to trade?"

Although I'm sure your nipper is a beautiful child, I'll stick with Spike, thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rexconde1:
    "Have you considered installing a kill switch for all four of the switches? Then install the kill switch in the ashtray. ... That is of course unless spike smokes. . ."

Robert,
    I caught him once and took away his driving privileges........
    This is another interesting approach, since I only have to worry about Spike hitting the switches when I'm alone, and therefore a passenger wouldn't have to worry about all the lock-outs. Thanks to you, too.
    ------------------------

Newcomers may think this is a trivial or silly problem, but it's not. I've gotten my interior soaked three times in five months from Spike inadvertantly lowering my windows.

The first time I had left him in the car with the
    engine running (to keep him cool) while I washed the car in a self-service wash. As I passed the soap brush over a rear window he lowered the window at just that moment. Only a inch, but an inch admits a LOT of soap.

The second time - same wash -- only this time with the high pressure hose. His timing wasn't as perfect, but when I rushed around the side with the wash-timer ticking he had lowered the window about 1/4 inch. STILL a lot of water comes in.

The third time occured just before a huge Nor'easter. I parked outside, not noticing that a rear window was open a crack and the rain blew right in like a high pressure hose.

Thinking back, I seem to recall that my previous M-B sedans (190E and 450SEL) had lock-outs for the rear windows, didn't they? How come not the ML, since it certainly finds back seats full of kids?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Town Hall!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Rex's remark did remind me about a kill switch I had made. My old car had one of those telescoping antennas that went up when I turned the stereo on. But I never listened to the radio only the CD player so the antenna was annoying. I had a stereo install guy put in a kill switch. All he did was put an on off switch to the power line of the antenna. He put the switch in the glove box so it was hidden.