Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds Used PowerShopper is a free service that enables you to sell a used car through a variety of providers.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dietmikedietmike Member Posts: 7
    I believe the "new look" is for the most part the same as you can get now, I did. Its the sport package, M6 on the 320 or the same as the AMG version. My 01 ML320 sport has exactly the same look as the AMG, w/out the engine or red brakes. The front, side and rear styling are exactly the same.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Hi guys,

I contacted Bernhard Weinbacher, Editor in Chief of Geländewagen-Magazin in Munich, to ask for the pictures in question. Basically, these are computer renderings from a design studio, which holds the copyrights. Options to get ahold of the images are collecting money among TH members to purchase copyrights ($$$), or having someone in Germany scan the pics/pages and post them in an online-album.

In order not to infringe on copyright laws, PLEASE NOBODY POST THE PICTURE/SCANNED PAGES HERE IN TOWNHALL, BUT ONLY IN A PERSONAL ONLINE ALBUM. Access to this album can be posted without getting in trouble, at least this is how I understand the TUO (Drew, pls correct if not so).

Tarik
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    Don't bother with that picture, it was the same picture that was on some webautomagazine last month or so that Drew discovered the orginal pics of ML55 with cut and paste part from the current E series....
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    That's pretty close to the line, but I believe you're right. Since they're copyrighted, they shouldn't be posted in Town Hall.

However, as Louis said, it's basically a Euro press picture of the ML55 with Photoshop alterations. ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Oh, I didn't know that you guys had already seen the (Germany-only) magazine. Well, once again, nothing out there you guys don't already know, what a surprise...:-D

Tarik
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    As a fellow list reader shared several posts ago...

discretion is... Always needed when presenting ideas and asking prices between dealers.

We are all here to share ideas, and save money. Be discreet indeed.

Mike
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    The Linguatronic option for the coming 2002 ML models will accept both phone and radio control commands. This makes it less important to have steering wheel controls when your voice can do same.

Just FYI - Frank
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Unless I missed something, I don't seem to be able to find Linguatronic on the '02 US M-class order sheets. Ken, do you spot anything US or otherwise?

I wonder if it's only for the COMAND system, which is not available in North America? That would certainly jive with what is currently available on the MB lineup.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    fender flares - hot or not ?

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    IMO - Not.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Drew:
    I've seen nothing that indicates this is for US/Canada models except the extra stalk. It would be nice though.
  • drwagdrwag Member Posts: 8
    I mean separate lights, like E.-class.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Definitely hot. Had grey ones on my 98 white ML320, put white ones on my white 00 ML430. Definitely give the vehicle a more rugged look.
    It also acts a guard from neighboring parked car doors.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Does anyone know if replacing the shocks and springs with aftermarket ones will void the warranty? TIA
    i shouldn't think so.
    but u might wanna call you dealer.
    wat shocks springs you going with ?

dt77
  • bonefish9bonefish9 Member Posts: 3
    I have had problems with poor AM reception.
    Apparently there is an amp in the rear lid, along
    with the antenna. Replacing the AMP did not help
    Replacing the radio did, but still not good
    considering $1000 upgrade. With an AMP in the
    antenna section there should be outstanding reception for both AM & FM , unless the radio has
    a poorly designed AM/FM section. I haven't seen
    much info posted on this problem. Maybe someone
    else can add to this. ( I have a 98 ML)
  • dandaodandao Member Posts: 1
    I experienced the same poor reception on the original AM band, and have upgraded the factory unit with a Sony AM/FM/CD replacement. However, the poor AM reception is still there. I think our problem is in the grounding as there is definite relationship between the engine rpm and the interference.
    No, I don't know what to get yet. If it doesn't void the warranty I'm going to ask the shop what they recommend.

The ML is nice to drive when I just cruising along. But with traffic so bad, I find I'm pushing the ML hard in city traffic and my passengers are getting sea sick in the back.
    i heard good things about the bilstiens. wat do you have 320 or 430 ? I think the springs and shocks are the same on the two, just the tires differ. the ml320 is supposed to feel softer on the turns and ride.

is there too much body roll yer experiencing ?
    one little thing you could do is check tire pressure and increase if needed.

drew, will fitting aftermarket shocks present a disadvantage in anyway (besides the fact that the ride will be stiffer?).

dt77
  • gonzaj2gonzaj2 Member Posts: 5
    i'm interested in buying a ml320 the final price is $40k. the dealer wants to charge me luxury tax .
    is this correct of him. i thought suv's were exempt from this.

any help would be appreciated.
  • fried13fried13 Member Posts: 7
    Purchased my 01 ML430 w/sport pkg end of Jan 2001. Reasonably pleased. Have yet to return to the dealership for any warranty work. Do have the following:

- squeaky body sound - turns out the left front bumper was rubbing up against the frame, apparently misaligned - WD40 temp fix - no more squeak.
    - some noise from dash - appears in cold weather, need to have it checked out
    - wheels do not seem to be balanced very well, some bumpiness between 40-55 mph.
    - Radio/GPS - failed in first week. Code for radio was incorrect, got correct code from dealer - claims this is the first time he's heard of this.
    - Have had the radio/gps system shut down twice since - acts like its getting hot. Anyone have this same experience?

Despite these annoyances - love the power, comfort and roadability of this vehicle. Traded a '97 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer for this baby, and just the ride is worth the difference.
    One would think that there could be a few more amenities offered by MB - but you pay for good German Engineering and safety.

Enjoy this forum and look forward to learning more.

Fried
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    It's my understanding that since the ML is a truck there is no luxury tax. When I bought my ML in 1998 there was no luxury tax because of the above reason. Sounds like your sales rep is trying to give you a snow job or else he is uninformed.
    Wally
    Hi Drew,

From what I continue to learn it will be a dealer installed option available here in the US. It will control Audio and Phone Functions... comment made regarding this was that is will help greatly due to the "damn volume button being so far away still."

Also two new door side impact satalite crash sensors have been added for additional safety.

Check your e-mail
    gonzaj2:
    Check the reply in the MDX topic I made. The GVWR of the ML is 6500lbs. Over the 6000lb min to avoid lux tax.
    The lux tax (if it applies) is only on the portion that is above $36K. It shouldn't be that much on the MDX.
    when i bought my ml430, i didn't have to pay lux tax.

dt77
    Vehicles over 6000# are exempt from the luxury tax. Let him know that the IRS frowns on dealers trying to charge luxury tax on these suvs. Let him also know that if they do indeed charge this, that this type of tax fraud incurs a 5 figure fine. I have bought two ML with no Luxury Tax.Year
    Tax Rate

4% of the amount the car's purchase price exceeds $38,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5% of the amount the car's purchase price exceeds $38,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6% of the amount the car's purchase price exceeds $36,000

Luxury Tax Rates in Future Years

3%

2003 and thereafter
    Tax eliminated
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    If the M-Class gets the Smartkey for MY 2002 does this mean that it will get the feature where you can lower the windows from the fob? It seems that every other MB with the Smartkey has this feature it would only make sense for the M-Class to have it. I always thought this would be a cool feature in my car.

Frank, thanks for the updated info on the availability of the linguatronic system. However, I have a question on how that system would work without the satellite audio controls. Isn't it true to activate voice command on other MB's you have to hit a button on the steering wheel? How would they do it with the M-Class, through the MCS panel?

Thanks
    Jamie
    Linguatronic is activated on the 2002 ML's by a stalk similar to the ML's cruise control stalk but located on the right side of the steering column.
  • gonzaj2gonzaj2 Member Posts: 5
    i thank you all in your guidance.
    The 2002 ML Smartkey actually looks just like the one we're currently using (flip out mechanical key) but it is updated with the Smart recognition chip using a new coded signal each time car is locked/unlocked... thus nobody would be able to duplicate.

Also, if you loose your key or it is stolen you can have system re-programed so the old key will not work again. I don't think it has the power up and close window/sunroof features.. nothing is mentioned... doubt it but perhaps.

The ML's will have the auto up and down feature for all windows... thus you can raise the window/s without keeping finger on it when you exiting a pay toll or such when you should be keeping both hands on steering wheel.
    I have the 320. It is the body roll. I tend not to come to a standstill before cornering. I will try checking the tire pressure first. Thanks for the advice.
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    ONCE AGAIN YOU DON'T PAY LUXURY TAX FOR A TRUCK (any ML) IN USA......
    the 01ml320 is 4,586 lbs
    the 01ml430 is 4,696 lbs
    the 01ml55 is 4,861 lbs

dt77
    hmmm..will an x5 owner have to pay lux tax ?

dt77
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    You know what that will spawn...

"That is a horrible place for a stalk, I have hit it so many times by accident! I placed so many accidental phone calls and now my phone bill is $4000."

v.

"I hate where they put that cruise control stick. I keep hitting by accident. It can be dangerous."

But I do think that 3 stalks is one too many. I just wish they went back to the traditional MB driver control system. IMO it works better than that the system in the ML, and to ME more aesthetically pleasing. This is my only real gripe with the ML. I'm about to hit 10K. and almost at my first service. I wonder if they will give me a new C-class to drive around in!? I doubt that the service manager will give me his S-class to drive around in, unlike some of those people in the S-class boards!

Robert
    i'm about to go to my SA regarding the paint chips on them. After Service A, when they rotated tires and replaced rear pads, all the calipers were sratched - look like major paint chips. I know a little picky, but hey, if i wanna sell my car in the future, and the a buyer happens to see it..hey I ain't about to pay for that crap

I guess I'll approach SA and either have them repainted or replaced. their choice. wat u guys think ? fair ?

dt77
    on that note, if yer rotating tires or changing brakes and wat not ... be weary =)

I don't think my dealer loans out new Cs ...but I guess I'll find out soon ...that would be sweet. THey had an ml320 loander the last time I was there. But I went for the C ...

dt77
    The important number is GVWR. It's vehicle weight + max cargo. Look on your driver's side door...
    ok.thanx.
    dt77
  • djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    My local MB dealership mounted and balanced my
    full-size spare tire on Friday. Today, as I was
    moving the tire around in the garage, a piece of the balancing "lead" weight came off. I inspected the tire and discovered that the base of the weight is a piece of double-adhesive plastic. I've never seen a balancing weight attached to the wheel in this fashion. If a weight could come off my spare tire this easily, what would happen to the weight on the road when the wheels are spinning at 65 mph, hitting potholes, etc?
    David
    Thaks Ken, I forgot to clarify that.
    Fried 13
    My wife also has noticed that the gps/radio does indeed get very hot, anyone else notice this or have an explaination?
    David:
    That's the new style of wheel weights. Some tires (like the BFG AT/MT KOs and the new Dunlop SP5000 truck tires) have a section that covers the rim that normal weights clip to. A lot of shops now use weights that use double sided tape. I'm not sure how well they hold up, but it should be better than what you just experienced :-)
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    in the brake cooling ducts. While I agree that the installation I saw pictures of seems like the brakes would be adequately cooled, MB could, in my opinion, successfully argue that the warrantee is voided for any brake-related mechanical failures. I would think that a liability lawsuit would also be much less likely to win if a 'faulty brake design' argument was used on a vehicle with blocked cooling ducts.

Just my two-cents worth (again!)
  • maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    I noticed a half-dollar size peeling of the front bumper. My dealer will have the whole bumper repainted. They said they're noticing the same problem in "some" ML's.
    Check those bumpers!
    David,

Those balancing weights have been used (in Europe) for quite some time already, however, getting lost this quickly was never part of their job description. It seems that the surface your weight was stuck to, hadn't been cleaned properly.

I had all my aluminum wheels balanced on the INSIDE of the wheels only (concealed), as to keep the outer (visible) part of the rim looking "smooth". Another advantage of this technique is that cleaning the wheel is MUCH easier. Balancing this way requires the tech to know exactly where to place the weights, they will have to "develop a feel" for the perfect longitudinal position inside the rim's cup.

Tarik's $ 0.02
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I agree with Tarik. All of the aftermarket alloy/aluminum wheels i've had before have all the weights on the inside of the wheel. I was even surprised to see the weights on the outer side of the wheels for the ML. I've seen a few techs balance the wheel before and they thoroughly clean the inside of the wheel and then clean it once more with some kind of alcohol right before they apply the weight. I've never experienced any of those weights fall off.
  • fried13fried13 Member Posts: 7
    See a lot of postings about "I bought the wife...." ( I am of the same ilk). Interesting that the wife, (in German Der Frau) is a masculine reference. When will we see that Der Frau bought THE MAN, (Der Husband) a Dodge Viper, Porche 911, Ferrari, Masserati, or any such "DER MAN" auto - would be a nice departure from the ordinary. By the by - I drive a Chevy Cavalier (company supplied of course) and thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to drive my WIFE's Benz on the weekends.

Again, just an observation.
    Fried
  • wannabe4wannabe4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of purchasing ML320, had my heart set on sky roof and dealer took my deposit only to call me today with regrets that the factory is no longer manufacturing them. Can anyone verify this and/or tell me good/bad regarding the sky roof??